Print Page | Close Window

One Ring cellphone scam could cost you...

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368171
Printed Date: Feb 24 2018 at 9:03am

Topic: One Ring cellphone scam could cost you...
Posted By: Brownsugar1
Subject: One Ring cellphone scam could cost you...
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:14pm
Consumer experts are warning cellphone users about a new scam that could lead to big charges on your phone bill.

It's called the "One Ring" cellphone scam because that's how many times callers let it ring before they hang up.

What you do next determines whether or not you become a victim.

"It's scary because how many people are getting ripped off per day is astronomical," said Craig Arganoff, a tech expert with Gripd.com.

The scam is designed to prey on your curiosity. If you call the number back, the scammers slap your phone bill with a $20 connection fee, and then keep charging you $9 a minute as you wait for a real person to come on the line.

Arganoff said this robo-call-type program is capable of dialing tens of thousands of numbers a day and for the crooks behind it, it's a numbers game.

"Look, they'll send out a million of these and they know that at least 1 percent is going to call back, so it's quite an effective scam," Arganoff said.

According to the Better Business Bureau, the devious dialers just started their scam last week and it's sweeping fast across the country.

Most of the calls are coming from Caribbean countries with U.S.-like area codes. One of the numbers that show up on your caller ID is 268-762-0021.

The BBB expects complaints will be pouring in over the next couple weeks.

"The most important thing is when your phone bill comes in, take the time to check the charges," said BBB spokesman Michael Gavin.

You could also Google the number before you call back to make sure it's legit, but experts say the best way not to get scammed is to keep your curiosity in check.

"If you just don't recognize the number, don't call them back. If there's no message, it's probably not worth calling back," Arganoff said.

The BBB is investigating whether the personal information being used in this phone scam was obtained in the massive security breach at Target before the holidays.

Replies:
Posted By: BonitaApplebaum
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:15pm
I don't answer numbers I don't recognize...
Don't call them back either.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:16pm
#TeamPrepaid Cool

Posted By: KittenWhip
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:17pm
If you don't recognize the number, GOOGLE it and see where it leads you.  Never call back.

Posted By: BonitaApplebaum
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:18pm
Especially from a different area code...

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:20pm
Thx some telemarketing scam was blowing up my moms phones today. I called back and  told them to put her on the don't call list. I will not call back again.

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:23pm
I don't call numbers I don't know I block them

Posted By: Brownsugar1
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:25pm
i love the block mode and call rejection feature on my phone.

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:28pm
Yasssss fave feature
Originally posted by Brownsugar1 Brownsugar1 wrote:

i love the block mode and call rejection feature on my phone.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:34pm
man...i dont even call my contacts back...this aint a problem lmao

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:37pm
some weird ish has been happening to me all week of last week and now this week. I called my phone company and they told me it's a relatively new scam called ID spoofing or something, where a telemarketer uses your number as a shell to cover their actual ID to call people.

So random people have been calling me all week telling me they have a missed call from me. I'm like..uhhh no. i don't know who you are, bye!

Then i notice a number would call me, the phone rings once and before I could even answer, the person hangs up.

Posted By: Blac1Chyna
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:37pm
They called me yesterday. They got ignored.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:46pm
Poor old people.

Posted By: ChubbyYeti
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:52pm
Guess I need to tell my mom about this. She calls back unknown numbers all the time.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by BonitaApplebaum BonitaApplebaum wrote:

yeah, people who call back random numbers seem pressed.

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 9:40pm
Lol i call back random numbers. Not 1800 numbers but local numbers. Unless i hear of a scam on the news etc. then i don't pick up or call back. Blocked calls i neverrr pick up, or i make the Mr. pick up in a Chinese accent lol. His Chinese accent is on point.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 9:41pm

this.  if it was that important and you know me...you'll leave a message or text me.

Posted By: pinkdiemond
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 9:47pm
got 5 calls from 268 762 0047

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

this.  if it was that important and you know me...you'll leave a message or text me.

This!!

Posted By: Butta Cookie
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:51pm
Unless they call the work number they're coming up short with me!

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by AwesomeAries AwesomeAries wrote:

I don't call numbers I don't know I block them
this

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 11:34pm
Seems like the perfect scam for Nosy people, lol

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 1:31am
u don't leave a voicemail message of who u r ...then u SOL....i will use my work phone to call them back...Shocked

unemployment here i come....

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 1:37am
damn folks just can't go and fill out an application and try to get  a real legit job these days..

the way these folks minds think of ways of scamming people out of their $$$ just boggles my mind...

seriously....well at least the feds will always be employed. Now they think this is the same group who infiltrated Target's info???? ShockedShockedShockedConfusedConfusedConfusedCryCryCry

thank u very much for posting this info....gonna tell mama R. about this...she gonna be thinking it is PUBLISHING CLEARING HOUSE CALLING HER TO SAY SHE WON A MILLION DOLLARS A WEEK OR WHATEVER THE PRIZE IS..

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 3:03am
Hell nah I ain't calling numbers I don't know.

Sheeeeeit, I start googling the number before the ring is even finished.

Posted By: Princess_S
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

Hell nah I ain't calling numbers I don't know.

Sheeeeeit, I start googling the number before the ring is even finished.

Posted By: newin2009
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 8:26am
I could see my grandma calling back a number she doesn't recognize. Most old people do. I need to warn her.

Posted By: Bonjour baby ooowee
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 12:23pm
THANKS this explains what id been experiencing/ i just got a new cellphone with number 3 wks ago then as of saturday i start getting this one number calling when i answer it hung up/ did it 3 times in a row the other day/ i did call back once but THANKFULLY after checking my bill i wasnt billed for it AND i'll be calling my cellphone carrier to make sure i don't get billedWink i also let my fb people know bout this here fraganackle bullsheittShocked

Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 12:28pm
Just got a call.

Here the scam is they call you from a local number that is very similar to your own. The numbers that call me all start with the same first 6 numbers as mine. I wish they would stop, i have to answer my calls because of my clients. Now i just let calls that look similar to my own phone number go to voicemail.

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 12:34pm
I been getting these calls recently smh...never call back

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

Just got a call.

Here the scam is they call you from a local number that is very similar to your own. The numbers that call me all start with the same first 6 numbers as mine. I wish they would stop, i have to answer my calls because of my clients. Now i just let calls that look similar to my own phone number go to voicemail.

Shocked OMG they called me too its the same area code and same next 3 digits too smh!!! I didnt think anything of it

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

Thx some telemarketing scam was blowing up my moms phones today. I called back and  told them to put her on the don't call list. I will not call back again.

Put her cell number on the donotcall.gov

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 3:11pm
Holy SH*T!!! My co-worker just got this call!!!!

She said it ends on 0022 as well!  She just got this exact number from Antigua/Barbuda!

ETA:  No, she didn't call them back LOL

I just sent her this article, and she was like Shocked and told me!

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 4:14pm
Hmmmm......I got a call from Great Britain the other day....didn't answer or call back

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 4:18pm
This number is a scam as well: 3122731439

If they call talking about the FBI and break ins.....hang up

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 6:03pm
Seems like cell phone companies should be able to block these calls on their end.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 6:54pm

hmm i got a random call from new york

if they know about all of this, why hasn't the police or any phone companies done anything about this?

Print Page | Close Window