Print Page | Close Window

No black barbie

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368162
Printed Date: Sep 24 2018 at 6:35am


Topic: No black barbie
Posted By: cicision
Subject: No black barbie
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 1:10pm
Oke  so I am really angry let me tell you guys:
I wanted to make a barbie cake for my niece so I went to the toy store to buy a black barbie
When I asked the store manager if they had a black barbie she looked at me and said oh no i am sorry we do not have those. I was extremly suprised because when I was younger I LOVEEDD BARBIE and even though I am biracial my mum(who is caucasian ) always bought black barbies for me in THAT same store (about ten -twelve years ago ) and now they dont have them anymore , they do not even have the black baby born keep in mind that this is in Amsterdam we have a large group of black people. So I was forced to buy this big headed bratzz doll Jazzmine wich had like a caramel color and was even on saleCry  I wanted to ask you guys do you think this is weird ?  and how is it in America and the rest of Europe can you buy a black barbie and baby born easily ?



Replies:
Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 1:14pm
i was gonna say where in the world are you.. but after reading more i guess i get it.. 

you can definitely go buy a black barbie here… in like 4 different shades.. 

that is unfortunate. 


Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 1:19pm
I can feel you on that.

When I was growing up I had these growing up girls figurines


They went all the way up to 16 and I got one on every birthday. Now that my niece is one, me and my mother were looking for some for her to continue the tradition. Turns out they'd stopped selling the black ones and only had the white ones. My mother was sooo upset. We ended up finding another version of them, but we wanted her to have the ones like me


Posted By: cicision
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

I can feel you on that.

When I was growing up I had these growing up girls figurines


They went all the way up to 16 and I got one on every birthday. Now that my niece is one, me and my mother were looking for some for her to continue the tradition. Turns out they'd stopped selling the black ones and only had the white ones. My mother was sooo upset. We ended up finding another version of them, but we wanted her to have the ones like me


That is so sad , It is really weird how some of these things are going backwards instead of forward because I remember that all of my caucasian friends also had at least one black barbie usually the mel b barbie (from the spice girls) . Is there a black Ken in the US?


Posted By: cicision
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


what I am having trouble with is finding kids books with black characters
That is also true !! I have never seen a book with a black character ,maybe we should start a business with black children toys book etc Big smile


Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by cicision cicision wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

what I am having trouble with is finding kids books with black characters
That is also true !! I have never seen a book with a black character ,maybe we should start a business with black children toys book etc Big smile
maybe try amazon for ideas: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Childrens-African-American-Story/zgbs/books/3095" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Childrens-African-American-Story/zgbs/books/3095

one of my favs has always been:

Product Details


Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 2:07pm
we have black character books.. 




Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


what I am having trouble with is finding kids books with black characters

A Hampton Lady, c/o '95 is the author of this series. The books are also sold in Walmart:
http://brianasneighborhood.com/" rel="nofollow - http://brianasneighborhood.com/


Posted By: mangachan
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 2:31pm
We have enough black barbie and kens to make a NAACP meeting. I'd see if you can order some. Shouldn't have to though


Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 2:43pm
there are a lot of black dolls on aliexpress. free shipping from china.


Posted By: oneluv
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 4:30pm
Im 28 and as a kid I had tons of black barbies and dolls. I'm surprised they don't have toys like that there.


Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by cicision cicision wrote:

Oke  so I am really angry let me tell you guys:
I wanted to make a barbie cake for my niece so I went to the toy store to buy a black barbie
When I asked the store manager if they had a black barbie she looked at me and said oh no i am sorry we do not have those. I was extremly suprised because when I was younger I LOVEEDD BARBIE and even though I am biracial my mum(who is caucasian ) always bought black barbies for me in THAT same store (about ten -twelve years ago ) and now they dont have them anymore , they do not even have the black baby born keep in mind that this is in Amsterdam we have a large group of black people. So I was forced to buy this big headed bratzz doll Jazzmine wich had like a caramel color and was even on saleCry  I wanted to ask you guys do you think this is weird ?  and how is it in America and the rest of Europe can you buy a black barbie and baby born easily ?


was gonna say too bad u couldn;t venture in this direction to start ur own business there for black dolls, etc...i know it would take funding and all but something to think about...hopefully she will enjoy your present..Happy birthday to her...


Posted By: oneluv
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 4:43pm
There are tons of books with black characters.... Tons.  There are even childrens books with mixed race kids... Here are a few of my faves

Sukey and the Mermaid                                                Mixed blessing (great for biracial kids)

Mufaros beautiful daughters                                        How my parents learned to eat 

afrotina and the 3 bears

Addy from the American Girl Series

The Stories Julian Tales

Amazing Grace (series by Mary Hoffman)

Her Stories

I am Mixed (great for biracial kids)




Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 4:45pm
but wait.. 

there are lots of blacks in amsterdam? 




Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 4:51pm
sorry abt that OPHug i dealt with this same raashole thing today!! roll up to the toy store ask for the barbies- i see at least 18 different blonde Barbie and not a bumbocleet Christie in sight!!!!! my country is 90%black! i asked the sales lady: she said barbie is not black shes white wtf am i talking abt? i said yes i get that but where is christie and theresa and kai (the asian one, cant remember her name)? her defence : she (the owner) brings them down if she can get them. phuckery!

i cried real tears in 2012 when i couldnt find a black barbie for my god daughters i had to settle on a chinese and latino one.

Oh yea the barbies of colour have different names changed now, i just dont know them. 

even the soft rag doll types are white babies everything is white with blonde hair the phuckers didnt even have Princess TianaClapClap


ETA its been eons since i've seen STEVEN (Black Kenz)


Posted By: cicision
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

but wait.. 

there are lots of blacks in amsterdam? 


haha yess there are , the dutch were one of the biggest imeperialists. We have people from Surinam (where my dad comes from) we have people from the caribbean and we have africans mostly Ghanian. There actually is a large district in amsterdam called zuid-oost where most of the black people live and where I usually go to get my hair products.


Posted By: cicision
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 6:01pm
by the way this was how the cake turned out ! I have to say it was not my best work but it was my first barbie cake and she loved it so I was quite happy with it






Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 6:15pm
Excellent work!!!


Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 6:16pm
interesting.. 
i just learned something new about amsterdam and surinam (had to google).. 


and very nice cake!!!! 


Posted By: cicision
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

interesting.. 
i just learned something new about amsterdam and surinam (had to google).. 


and very nice cake!!!! 


haha yess not to many people know the country , when I am abroad I always have to explain where it excactly is LOL

onn topic I googled some images of black barbies and i anyone ever finds one of these barbies please pm me because they are so GORG esp the bald one (even though she has blue eyes) IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/2w54zsz.jpg[/IMG]




Posted By: cicision
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 6:32pm



Posted By: cicision
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

sorry abt that OPHug i dealt with this same raashole thing today!! roll up to the toy store ask for the barbies- i see at least 18 different blonde Barbie and not a bumbocleet Christie in sight!!!!! my country is 90%black! i asked the sales lady: she said barbie is not black shes white wtf am i talking abt? i said yes i get that but where is christie and theresa and kai (the asian one, cant remember her name)? her defence : she (the owner) brings them down if she can get them. phuckery!

i cried real tears in 2012 when i couldnt find a black barbie for my god daughters i had to settle on a chinese and latino one.

Oh yea the barbies of colour have different names changed now, i just dont know them. 

even the soft rag doll types are white babies everything is white with blonde hair the phuckers didnt even have Princess TianaClapClap


ETA its been eons since i've seen STEVEN (Black Kenz)


Wauw that is even worse I would be so pissed off Angry may I ask where you live ? I am going to New York in may so I will deff buy black barbies and stevens LOL for my nieces and future childeren


Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by cicision cicision wrote:

Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

but wait.. 

there are lots of blacks in amsterdam? 


haha yess there are , the dutch were one of the biggest imeperialists. We have people from Surinam (where my dad comes from) we have people from the caribbean and we have africans mostly Ghanian. There actually is a large district in amsterdam called zuid-oost where most of the black people live and where I usually go to get my hair products.


I guess they prefer their depictions of black people to be limited to Black Pete. SMH...


Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 7:55pm
I have a barbie similar to the bald one. i think that the collection is called the "Barbie Dolls of the World"


Posted By: KFORKARESS
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 9:03pm
Can never go wrong with Power Ranger theme


Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 8:46am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


we have them but they are hard to find in store

I know I searched recently

I can get more if I order online but I would love a bigger in store selection

Do you go to Barnes & noble? They have like 5 black books in every b&n that's supposed to be for everyone. It was a lot easier when borders was open.

To the OP, I've seen black barbies but Idont think my mom ever bought us any. My aunt made us dolls...they were kinda ugly LOL but I appreciate what she was trying to do



Print Page | Close Window