Print Page | Close Window

Agree or Disagree: Disney first Plus Size Princess

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368157
Printed Date: Sep 20 2017 at 11:01pm

Topic: Agree or Disagree: Disney first Plus Size Princess
Posted By: iliveforbhm
Subject: Agree or Disagree: Disney first Plus Size Princess
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 9:12am
It's no secret that Disney has gotten flak for its blond, white princess archetype, and now a Virginia teen has one more suggestion for the animated film company: Create a plus-size princess.

On January 24, Jewel Moore, a 17-year-old junior at Fuqua High School in Farmville, Virginia, launched a Change.org petition asking Disney to give us an interesting female character who isn't stick-thin. As of Friday afternoon, it had almost 2,000 signatures.

"It's extremely difficult to find a positive representation of plus-size females in the media. If Disney could make a plus-size female protagonist who was as bright, amazing, and memorable as their others, it would do a world of good for those plus-size girls out there who are bombarded with images that make them feel ugly for not fitting the skinny standard," Jewel writes in the petition. "Disney films are highly influential and wide-spread, and they impact the lives of many children, especially girls. It would be revolutionary for Disney to show support to a group of girls who are otherwise horrendously bullied by the media."

Jewel says that being a plus-size kid has been a struggle, and the point of her campaign is to help younger girls feel better about themselves. "I know the characters are just cartoons but they give girls their first impressions of real-life women," Jewel tells Yahoo Shine. "Now that I’m almost an adult, cartoons don’t impact my confidence, but I have small cousins and I want them to see a wide representation of women. If plus-size girls see characters that look like them succeed, it would show them that they can do anything."

Jewel had initially wanted to express her feelings to Disney in a letter, but she quickly realized that she needed backing in order to be taken seriously by the company. So, last Friday, while home from school on a snow day, she penned the petition.

Over the years, Disney has occasionally strayed from its classic princess aesthetic. Its 2012 Pixar film "Brave" focuses on Merida, a tomboy hero with wild, curly red hair, and 2009's "The Princess and the Frog" features a hardworking African-American waitress named Tiana (who eventually becomes the princess). And of course, there’s the 1995 flick "Pocahontas," which tells the story of the daughter of an Algonquin chief who falls in love with an English colonist, and 1998's "Mulan," about a Chinese warrior who leads her country to battle dressed as a man.

But rarely has the company rejiggered its classic, slim frame. "To be clear, I’m not asking for Disney to stop making thin princesses," says Jewel. "I would just like to see a princess with a different body shape. Where’s the pear-shaped princess? The short princess? The chubby princess?"

And although Jewel has received plenty of support from her friends, she admits to having experienced some backlash, too. "I’ve had a few people tell me that I should redirect my efforts to help women not look toward the media to gain their self-confidence," she says. "I wish women wouldn’t listen to the media, but that’s inevitable. If we can’t change people, we can at least start with animated characters."

And there’s one more group of people Jewel would like to reach with her petition: "I want little boys to see plus-size Disney princesses," says Jewel, "so they don’t grow up and think women they date have to look perfect." Smart girl!

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/teen-petitions-disney--give-us-a-plus-size-princess-000545407.html" rel="nofollow - http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/teen-petitions-disney--give-us-a-plus-size-princess-000545407.html

Replies:
Posted By: whitrhymes
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 9:15am
I always thought Lilo from Lilo and Stitch was chubby. She wasn't a princess, but she was a main character...

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 9:26am
i think it is a great idea..good for her,,,she can be a plus-size white princess...still white, but a plus size

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 9:28am
i see her point but that's shifty territory tbh.
Disney will surely get backlash for promoting that being an unhealthy weight is okay to young girls.
Disney is mostly geared toward children between 5 and 14 imo. Chubby kids shouldnt be a "thing"

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 9:36am
Nah....we good.
we need a fat princess for?
Matter of fact....the hell we need princess for at all?

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 9:37am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

ooh she's white? do not care. especially since disneys only black princess was a frog for damn near 90% of the whole movie. -_-

Yup

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:20am
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

i see her point but that's shifty territory tbh.
Disney will surely get backlash for promoting that being an unhealthy weight is okay to young girls.
Disney is mostly geared toward children between 5 and 14 imo. Chubby kids shouldnt be a "thing"
Yea...My thoughts exactly

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:33am

ooh she's white? do not care. especially since disneys only black princess was a frog for damn near 90% of the whole movie. -_-

Yes she needs to go somewhere with that BS

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:39am
No.

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:41am
dbl post

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:44am
i don't see why not.. 

what makes disney princesses so special..? the storyline..? 

there are curvy people represented in most cartoons these days… 

fat..? no. 
but thick? (my thick.. not bhm thick) sure. 

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:45am

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:51am

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 11:59am
Originally posted by thewonderfulwa thewonderfulwa wrote:

She should lose weight instead of trying to find a "positive representation" of plus size females. And what would be a plus size anyways? Some think plus size are overweight people, while others think that "plus size" are people who are 10-15lbs above their proper weight. Oh wait, who decides what is proper weight?

If you want a positive representation of plus size females, why don't you do something to be the role model for those girls? Her moronic petition won't go anywhere.

And I hear you who mentioned that the black disney princess was a frog for most of the movie. If Disney bothers with a plus size princess, she will probably be thin for most of the movie, and only in the beginning and end she will be fat because only in the end, after being thin for so long, she will "realize" that she is happier being fat.

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Originally posted by thewonderfulwa thewonderfulwa wrote:

She should lose weight instead of trying to find a "positive representation" of plus size females. And what would be a plus size anyways? Some think plus size are overweight people, while others think that "plus size" are people who are 10-15lbs above their proper weight. Oh wait, who decides what is proper weight?

If you want a positive representation of plus size females, why don't you do something to be the role model for those girls? Her moronic petition won't go anywhere.

And I hear you who mentioned that the black disney princess was a frog for most of the movie. If Disney bothers with a plus size princess, she will probably be thin for most of the movie, and only in the beginning and end she will be fat because only in the end, after being thin for so long, she will "realize" that she is happier being fat.
It isn't that easy thoughCry

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 12:05pm
My kids will not be watching Disney, so I don't care what they show. But they should at least show a handicapped princess or something.

Posted By: 305bgirl
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 12:07pm
F#ck nawww

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 12:14pm
Well, apparently Jennifer whomever, the girl from Hunger Games, is some kind of positive representation to chubby girls, even though she is not chubby, she just has big cheeks (or used to, it seems like her face if thinning).

The girl who created the petition is the worst representation for plus size girls: messy hair, ugly face, big weird smile. I have seen plus size girls much better dresses and better looking than this girl. She should have brushed that hair before letting her pic on the internet.

eta: plus size for me is a chubby girl or a girl who is a bit above her weight (20lbs tops). If you have fat hanging off your arms, double chin, belly so big that your tits sit on top of it, piles of love handles, you are not plus size, you are overweight and need to lose weight.

Posted By: mangachan
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 12:21pm
Disney don't need to do jack but whatever they feel like doing...If they try to make a "plus size" princess, it will either not be plus size enough or be too big.  I have created characters since the age of 6 (some more crudely than others) and I have always HATED it when people offered arbirtary critique of what the "ideal" character should be whether it's weight, size, race, storyline/plot.  If you don't like the way something is done, don't wait for Disney or whoever else is doing it, make up your own.  Don't have the knowledge or skill?  Shut up and watch what's there...or simply don't watch.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 12:22pm
If she fat...How is she gonna run away from the villain? Every princess I seen runs in disney

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

If she fat...How is she gonna run away from the villain? Every princess I seen runs in disney

LOL

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 12:27pm

N to the O

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 12:29pm

she gonna have the plus size extra lift in the air cape to fly away...and when need that extra boost to seriously get away...she will press a button that reads...POWER BOOST..and SSSWWWOOOOSSSHHH OFF SHE GOES..

you know like the Enterprise when Capt. Kirk and the others...WARP SPEED...YEP "MAKE IT SO WITH WARP SPEED"

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 12:33pm
where is my ticket straight to burnin hell???? no lay overs at all...just straight, nose dive

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by DiorShowGirl DiorShowGirl wrote:

she gonna have the plus size extra lift in the air cape to fly away...and when need that extra boost to seriously get away...she will press a button that reads...POWER BOOST..and SSSWWWOOOOSSSHHH OFF SHE GOES..

you know like the Enterprise when Capt. Kirk and the others...WARP SPEED...YEP "MAKE IT SO WITH WARP SPEED"

LOLLOL ohhh a fat girl flying cape!!! Does it come with cake and cookies? Guess I would get myself one too....

Posted By: cicision
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 1:02pm
I disagree because I think that it is really important to teach kids how to eat healthy etc and even though i dont not think that a  dinsey princes will give them the idea that being plus size is normal ,I just think they should focus on creating more ethnicities figures

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 1:06pm
Done

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070331005657/uncyclopedia/images/d/db/Princess_Fiona.jpg" rel="nofollow">File:Princess Fiona.jpg

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 1:07pm

slim snobs in here i see… 

y'all better stop!

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 2:34pm
A lot snobs in here lmfao j/k

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

Done

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070331005657/uncyclopedia/images/d/db/Princess_Fiona.jpg" rel="nofollow">File:Princess Fiona.jpg

She looks just like Fiona too Shocked

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 2:41pm
So a plus size princess gonna make everyone want to be fat lmfao.

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 2:43pm
Nope and this is not coming from a place of fat snob, this is coming from a place that your child should be able to play tag without being out of breath. Giving them a plus sized doll to look at gives them the idea that it is okay to be unhealthy.

The messed up part is its not the kids fault, they are not buying Mcdonalds with their own $$$, nor are they loading up the pantry with cookies and 99 bag variety of chips. 

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

Nope and this is not coming from a place of fat snob, this is coming from a place that your child should be able to play tag without being out of breath. Giving them a plus sized doll to look at gives them the idea that it is okay to be unhealthy.

The messed up part is its not the kids fault, they are not buying Mcdonalds with their own $$$, nor are they loading up the pantry with cookies and 99 bag variety of chips. 

Can you justify this?

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

No.

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:03pm
I don't think one fat princess will make kids think it's okay to be fat lol It aint that deep

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Can you justify this?

Yep, ohh look at this doll she looks like me. I don't need to maybe have apple slices, I can keep on eating my cookies. I am not talking about 5lbs I am talking about diabetes and other health issues. No child should be on insulin because of what is being fed to them, sorry. 

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:08pm
I don't think that justifies it but thanks. I had quite a few toys of fat characters growing up.

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:09pm
In all honesty do you even believe Disney will do it?. They don't even make their costumes in their stores for bigger kids for boys or girls.

Posted By: Mixer
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:09pm
Sure, why not. I'm sure not all princesses were thin.

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:12pm
but there are chubby cartoon characters everywhere.. 

are princesses just held to a higher regard? 

and i do see where a child might think its okay to look like that.. barbie is supposed to be type, 'perfect' 

but.. the same could be said for a lot of kids parents/family members.. they see their parents like that and think its okay. 

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:12pm

do we even all agree on what plus size is though?

lol

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

lol
Don't start this.PinchLOL

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:16pm

Disney have always plump characters though...even from their earliest movies

This is true. But aren't they usually villains or comic relief males? Trying to remember any plump characters that weren't that.

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Mixer Mixer wrote:

lol

forreal.LOL

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:18pm
Googled "fat disney characters" and found this tumblr post.

men with status:

imageimage

• all white
  • all men with status (kings, lords, michelin star chef, rich men)
  • all older
  • their fatness is a symbol of their status in society
  • their fatness is celebrated on screen, showing them eating: big daddy is obsessed with tiana’s cooking, king hubert is shown eating from a banquet table (and having a fight with a fish as a sword), auguste gusteau is a celebrated chef)

comedic men:

• role is comedic
  • marked out by their “weirdness” (black nerd, dirt-obsessed with strange accent, quirky inventor, calm spiritual, the “otherness” of the moc)
  • racial stereotyping and depiction as humour: the overt racism of the native chief from peter pan, chien po drawn to imitate the buddha, the stereotype of rich arab men who enjoy leisure activities
  • many of these characters are fathers or father figures

male villains/antagonists:

• characterised by greed, gullony, cruelty
  • other “ugliness” associated (big noses, bad teeth, glasses)
  • goofiness
  • sense of failure, clumsiness, bumbling
  • often ‘sidekick villain’

old women (with overlaps):

imageimage

• comedic value
  • often respected by characters in their media, but not because of their role (except mrs finster as a principal)
  • caregivers, family-orientated
  • comedy from being involved in actions not associate with age
  • the woc have the “magic person of colour” thing going on; grandma fa with her luck charms, mama odie with her magic
  • their age acts as an “excuse” for their fatness: fatness in older women, especially mother/grandmother figures is seen as comforting, soft, and allowances are made for older characters “not trying” when it comes to their appearance

female villains/antagonists:

• wrathful temper
  • “ugly”
  • their vanity used to mock them (ursula, queen of hearts)
  • shown as controlling, often having “minions” to do their deeds for them

children:

• lilo is not fat, but by disney standards she is not the usual thin, so i’ve included her as relevant
  • these characters are main characters in their media, although both share the spotlight (lilo/stitch, russel/carl)
  • russell’s fatness is played for light laughs
  • but largely they are saved from being demonised for their fatness by their innocence, or their fatness is deemed cute. they are also not given other “uglifying” features, like odd-shaped noses or bad teeth

wall-e:

• the fat characters in wall-e don’t fit into the above categories so neatly
  • captain b is a hero of the story
  • john and mary have a romance b-plot and are heroes during the climax
  • but context has to be considered: every human character in wall-e is fat, and fatness is shown as the result of a terrible apocalypse-type situation.
  • the physical comedy of fatness is also used, although there’s some explanation of “bone loss”, the fatness is still the visual gag
  • even so, fat characters are shown to be pushing and overcoming their physical limitations in order to save the day; captain b when standing for the first time in however long, his fight with the autopilot; john/mary’s gradual decreased dependency on technology, and their work in the climax to save the children from getting hurt as the ship tilts

i’m not sure how to conclude this post, which was really just a thought that ran away with me. disney has long built villains around fatness, and to say that critique of disney along the likes of sexism, body image or anti-fatness are unnecessary or worthwhile is short-sighted. laughing or cringing at the idea of a “plus size princess” feeds into this idea that fat people are not worthy of lead roles or romantic plots, especially fat women. wanting a media largely consumed by children to be more inclusive is not “thinking too hard”.

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:18pm

Originally posted by Mixer Mixer wrote:

lol

forreal.LOL
Forreal? Forreal what? Forreal, "You wanna know?" or forreal, "Don't start this."LOL

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:21pm
RT:

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:22pm
lilos sister was thick. 

penny prouds mom was thick. 

not disney.. but the incredibles characters were curvy.. 
also the mom on american dad and lois on family guy.. 

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:24pm

now i do agree with making barbies average sized.....

because i dont necessarily like the idea of having average sized kids fawning over super skinny barbie dolls

barbie should be the size of the average young woman

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:24pm
I'm all for the representation of the marginalized but honestly, if Disney does this, I expect this princess to be a change without being a change: In other words, she will be the "pretty" kind of plus size and with certainty, white.

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:31pm
wanting a media largely consumed by children to be more inclusive is not “thinking too hard”

They don't exist syndrome (in media world).  This is why I started to find it unfathomable that these white TV characters can walk through life every single day and conduct a life in big cities where they don't run into one single black woman or interact with even one.    I finally have a hard time thinking of a show I watch that has no women of color.  I'm still mad at SNL but at least they didn't try to drag that sh*t out and just did it.   I'm sure some white ppl find it offensive but they can change the channel. 

Nobody HAS to take kids to a movie with a "fattie" in the lead role.  Just sit them down and say honey I'm not taking you to that movie because the princess is too fat and unhealthy to be represented in a Disney movie.  We'll wait for the next one when the princess is a better role model for your expected body image.  Whatever

Next will be a gay character in a Disney movie.  Whatever, don't go to itLOL

Anyway, for a long time it has been if they don't look like us they don't exist in prime-time or even a whole 2-hour movie.    There's something for everyone even if some of us don't like it. 

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

lilos sister was thick. 

penny prouds mom was thick. 

not disney.. but the incredibles characters were curvy.. 
also the mom on american dad and lois on family guy.. 

This show is not child-approved.  Or south park.  Don't be letting people's kids watch this at your houseLOL

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:38pm
oh yea i forgot were talking about kids shows… 

however, i do know of little kids who go to see R rated movies with their parents at like 6yrs old.. 

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 3:40pm
Disney needs to have another Black princess--one that isn't a frog for the majority of the movie. They think they're slick. 

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 4:12pm

LOLLOL ohhh a fat girl flying cape!!! Does it come with cake and cookies? Guess I would get myself one too....

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 4:13pm

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 4:42pm

Ouch I missed what you said lol

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 4:50pm

Ouch I missed what you said lol

GIRL i was all over with my remarks..lol...somehow it turned out she was a superhero and this and that..then i remembered she is a disney princess not a superhero...LMFAO...so i deleted it...

Posted By: Blac1Chyna
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 6:21pm
LMAO fat chance. LOLStop trying to get everyone to promote unhealthy lifestyles. If you wanna be fat that's your business, but don't try to make it the new normal.

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:04pm
why people think barbies (circa 1990's and older) are the standard or go to skinny  reference? wasnt nothing slim about that barrel waist...or were they referring to her having no hips/booty? When I was younger I kinda thought barbie's waist should be slimmer (like the dolls are made now)

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:24pm
I dont think kids choose to be fat. Parents keep the unhealthy

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:25pm
But i rather a disabled princess first

Posted By: KFORKARESS
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:50pm
Shes just going to lose weight in the middle of the movie so that she can find her prince charming .. why bother?

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

But i rather a disabled princess first

LMMFAO.

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:53pm

why people think barbies (circa 1990's and older) are the standard or go to skinny  reference? wasnt nothing slim about that barrel waist...or were they referring to her having no hips/booty? When I was younger I kinda thought barbie's waist should be slimmer (like the dolls are made now)

90's shawty had a bad built body. I never noticed that til now. LOL

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 9:01pm
^ forreal!
Like this is what yall scared girls wanna look like when they grow up? Confused

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:26pm
Disney can't win with this one. No matter the stance they take and the reason for it.

Posted By: KottonKandy
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:33pm
please, then it's going to be we need a princess with dreads, with an afro, with a thigh gap, live in the ghetto, based in starbucks..

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:47pm

Can you justify this?

We always talk about black and white Barbie's.  How folks were so happy when black Barbie's with locs and fro's ran on the scene. Talmbout finally a barbie that represents my chile n'sh*t. *shrugs*  why not fat and skinty dolls?

Posted By: Blac1Chyna
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:48pm
Children aren't supposed to be fat though. If parents can campaign for that sh*t, then why not campaign to put lil buddy in a sport. That's totally different than having ethnic barbies. Being black isn't on par with being overweight.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:48pm

Girl and her prince was broke.....they the tried it with Tiana!!!!

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:49pm

my barbies are very curvy. lmao @ 90s tho. she look like she would have  buff walk like homeboy from popeye...LOL

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Can you justify this?

We always talk about black and white Barbie's.  How folks were so happy when black Barbie's with locs and fro's ran on the scene. Talmbout finally a barbie that represents my chile n'sh*t. *shrugs*  why not fat and skinty dolls?

Hell the current barbie promotes bulimia and we're cool with that......Bish proportions are the reason these heifers out here getting fix a flat pumped into their bums....

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:51pm

Disney have always plump characters though...even from their earliest movies

From what I remember back in the day...Disney's girls looked just that...girls.   Not skinny but not fat either.  Snow White comes to mind. These days these princess's who are supposed to be young or teens have a  crazy amount of shape.  Their boob, waist, ass ratio is off the hook.  U got dudes now that talk about hottest Disney princess's.  The earlier movie princess's never make the list.

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:53pm
That 2000s barbie is Skipper tho.....

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

my barbies are very curvy. lmao @ 90s tho. she look like she would have  buff walk like homeboy from popeye...LOL

and what's funny is that Barbie from way back when got hella shade for being too skinny.  If Barbie's proportions back then were unreal what are we to think of the 00's Barbie?

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

I'm all for the representation of the marginalized but honestly, if Disney does this, I expect this princess to be a change without being a change: In other words, she will be the "pretty" kind of plus size and with certainty, white.

She'll be the lucky plus sized.  The ones with the hourglass not the ones shaped like a messican.

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:55pm
Fiona was a bigums......but that dream works.....

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 10:55pm
I find it sad people are okay with disney having fat characters as villains and things to laugh at but would be upset as disney having a fat protagonist/princess/love interest.

Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 11:03pm

hmmmm^^

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 11:24pm

I find it sad people are okay with disney having fat characters as villains and things to laugh at but would be upset as disney having a fat protagonist/princess/love interest.

There was controversy surrounding Charlize Theron playing the evil step mother for Snow White and The Huntsmen. I forgot what show I was watching, but they were discussing how some people were distraught over a beautiful evil character in a fairy tale because they didn't want their daughters wanting to be like her since she was very beautiful and evil. Same thing with Maleficent and Angelina Jolie playing that character.

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 11:26pm
Anyways childhood obesity is a problem in America so I doubt Disney will touch that with a 10 feet pole. Good try though.

Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 12:08am
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

There was controversy surrounding Charlize Theron playing the evil step mother for Snow White and The Huntsmen. I forgot what show I was watching, but they were discussing how some people were distraught over a beautiful evil character in a fairy tale because they didn't want their daughters wanting to be like her since she was very beautiful and evil. Same thing with Maleficent and Angelina Jolie playing that character.

I remember that.  Like it's impossible to believe that a beautiful woman can be evil.  I remember it being said that it was more realistic to have beautiful women play evil because more often than not (no shade to pretty girls) that's the case.   I know plenty of ladies that identified with Mean Girls.

Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 12:09am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

But ain't nobody tryna count Fiona cause her being big is expected what with her being an Ork... gremlin... goblin(?)...

what was Fiona again?

Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 12:10am

But ain't nobody tryna count Fiona cause her being big is expected what with her being an Ork... gremlin... goblin(?)...

Only at night tho.....and it was a curse!!!

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 12:16am

I find it sad people women & girls are okay with disney having fat characters as villains and things to laugh at but would be upset as disney having a fat protagonist/princess/love interest.
Evil Smile

*sips ain't sh!t tea*

Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 12:54am

but she was skinny during the day. *shrugs*

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 1:03am
what? we talkin shrek now?

Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 1:14am
She turned into an Ogre. Amateur...

Posted By: OrriannaRose
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 1:20am
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

Next will be a gay character in a Disney movie.  Whatever, don't go to itLOL

Pleakley stayed in drag.

Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 7:15am
I wonder if girl in the o.p. would be ok if that princess looked more like precious and less like adele

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 6:32pm
Eh

Never been a fan of disney princess movies so couldn't care less tbh

Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 6:49pm
Depends on how they interpret "plus-sized." Ie most plus-sized models are far from obese, and are very well proportioned. They look like healthy, average women. I would be happy seeing that in a movie for kids.

And yes, kids do desire to emulate disney princesses. I staaaayed walking around my house looking stupid with my sweats/shorts rolled down tryna look like Jasmine. Cry

Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 8:59pm
Sooo yall want to see a thick animated girl that bad huh...interesting...Geek

Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 9:52pm

but she was skinny during the day. *shrugs*

I TRIEDLOL

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 10:10pm
I don't see why people are calling the girl who wrote the article ugly.

Date Posted: Feb 05 2014 at 2:46am
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

I wonder if girl in the o.p. would be ok if that princess looked more like precious and less like adele

Gurl please.  Black folks would be mad if the girl looked like precious. Hell....we'd be on here talmbout "can't even get a pretty dark girl.  why she gotta be fat?  why she gotta be the stereotype of the black community?".  

Print Page | Close Window