Print Page | Close Window

Dallas People

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368106
Printed Date: Jun 19 2018 at 1:51pm

Topic: Dallas People
Posted By: atexaschick
Subject: Dallas People
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 4:22am
I live in the DFW area and I'm looking to move somewhere else in the metroplex. I don't know much about the DFW area. I hear people telling me not to move to certain areas (like North Dallas) due to this or that. What are nice areas to move to that are diverse in race but still have a younger crowd (somewhat like Arlington)? I stay in an area that is not diverse and is more family oriented, but I have no idea on where I should begin to look.

Replies:
Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 9:30am
I hear good things about Plano and Frisco.  Arlington is nice in that you can experience both Dallas and FW's amenities.  Southlake is a nice area as well.

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 10:38am
Yep, Plano is pretty nice. I live in Plano. I just don't view it as super diverse. Allen, Frisco, and McKinney are nice areas also. I hear Arlington is nice. I also like Addison as well.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 10:50am
I actually work in the plano area, I didn't think it was a town foryounger people and it doesn't seem diverse. The reason I don't stay in arlington is because of my location of my job. I did hear about Addison but I've never been there, I will look into that area also. I thought Frisco and McKinney where more family towns)

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 12:10pm
Really all of the outer suburbs are going to be family oriented--thats where the bettter school districts are and people w/ families will go to those.  DISD isn't a great district. 

If you want more of a single crowd then moving closer to downtown is what you should do.  There is Uptown, oaklawn and some parts of S. Dallas close to downtown here there are lots of singles and nite life.  You will be paying alot in rent however, but thats the trade off of being in the mix...

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 1:03pm
arlington is a good choice as long as you are willing to pay 700+ for rent...anything less than that will have you staying in a not so nice area..

but it has a lot to offer as far as shopping/restaurants/etc

irving is ghetto and full of mexicans

anything south of dallas is a no no to me.

lancaster/desoto/duncanville/cedar hill..(the worst being lancaster/ least being cedar hill) run the other direction...these places were nice at some point but hood folks are migrating to these cities because of the cheap housing and slowly taking it over

the nicest areas to me are north/northwest of dallas

plano/lewisville/grapevine/frisco

i personally like lewisville a lot

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

arlington is a good choice as long as you are willing to pay 700+ for rent...anything less than that will have you staying in a not so nice area..

I wish
I'm paying $1,150

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 4:27pm
Is Lewisville and grapevine diverse? I wish I could stay in Arlington but the drive is too far to Plano. I stay in Valley RAnch and there's nothing here but Indians. I also couldn't find alot of apartments in Arlington area that seemed nice, the only two I saw were providence off of cooper street and the franscians (sp?) Off of matlock I think. I don't mind a family town but I really want to stay in a place diverse with black people and other races.

Posted By: MissinCali
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 5:17pm
I'm moving to Addison in the next few months, everyone I asked told me that was a safe, fun city for a young black female... I was told that it is very diverse too.. maybe the DFW ladies can give their opinion on Addison. :0)

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 6:47pm

i dont really know too much about addison except that its a lot of white people there

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by HunnyB HunnyB wrote:

I wish
I'm paying $1,150

LOLmy point exactly

i checked out a few places there and said nope! lol

the providence is nice also....that was one of my top choices 

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 7:04pm
I want to move to Dallas

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 7:07pm

dont do it!! dallas gets old after a while...

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 7:17pm
I really want to leave the DFW area, it's okay but I really like Houston

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 7:17pm

i personally dislike the dallas area...but if i had no choice and had to choose somewhere to live here it would be the places i mentioned on the first page

the weatherDead

and a lot of black people here are ghetto....just my opinion...

but OP is already employed here so its too late to tell her to turn away LOL

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 7:19pm

i personally dislike the dallas area...but if i had no choice and had to choose somewhere to live here it would be the places i mentioned on the first page

the weatherDead

and a lot of black people here are ghetto....just my opinion...

but OP is already employed here so its too late to tell her to turn away LOL

I know the weather here is crazy, I never liked the Dallas area even before I moved here to attend college. Once I put in another year at my job its goodbye Dallas hello HoustonLOL

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 7:20pm
I was thinking about Dallas or Houston.
Probably in 2 years.

I have to move.
I'll come. Back to my beloved later

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Probably in 2 years.

I have to move.

I would definitely do Houston, if it was out of the Dallas or Houston.

Dallas does seem a little "ratchet" or hood depending on where you're at. It seems like I can't find the balance,its either hood or richy, other than the Arlington area I don't know what town is nice for young black professionals in their early 20's.

Also as far as nightlife, I think it sucks also. Maybe because I really don't know all the hot spots in the metroplex but I hate having to choose between Zouk or Beamers all the timeDead

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 8:29pm

Houston is mucccccchhhhhh better than dallas. All day anyday.

I've lived in both Dallas and Houston.
More job opportunities, restaurants/food, entertainment/nightlife, diversity in houston.

I love cypress! (a suburb right outside of houston) But it is a little on the expensive side....

The only difference in the weather is that it is extremely humid in houston...but other than that the weather is almost the same as dallas.

The traffic is also MUCH much worse in houston though, and people drive like bats straight out of hell on I-610

But houston is still much better than dallas...all day, anyday

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by atexaschick atexaschick wrote:

Probably in 2 years.

I have to move.

Dallas does seem a little "ratchet" or hood depending on where you're at. It seems like I can't find the balance,its either hood or richy, other than the Arlington area I don't know what town is nice for young black professionals in their early 20's.

Also as far as nightlife, I think it sucks also. Maybe because I really don't know all the hot spots in the metroplex but I hate having to choose between Zouk or Beamers all the timeDead

Guuuuuuuuurllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead

Dont get me startedLOL

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 8:41pm

Im done with dallas too...

It always baffles me when i see people who are moving here voluntarily I just look at them like

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 11:09pm

The traffic is also MUCH much worse in houston though, and people drive like bats straight out of hell on I-610

LOL Sheeiiitt.. dont do 610! It's by far the best highway in Houston. The lanes seem to be wider, and theres typically way less traffic.

Jones, come on down!

All my friends who moved to Houston for college but then (had to )moved back to Dallas after graduation really prefer Houston. You just kind of get caught up in your job in Dallas..

But one of my friends moved to Grand Prairie and liked it. I dont know too much about it though; every time I visited, we went into Dallas to do stuff

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 11:12pm
P.S. The Dallas ratchets are on a level of their own.. or at least giving Seaborn's Miama hoodrats a run for their money

and there are lots

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 11:13pm

yes 610 is a very wide highway...so many lanes, and i love how they ban those big 18 wheelers from getting in the left lane...i hate that up here

but it took me 2 hours to get off 610 one day i will never forgetErmm

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 11:14pm
LOL 2 hours!? Did you not realize it was a loop and kept circling, or was it All Star weekend or something??

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

P.S. The Dallas ratchets are on a level of their own.. or at least giving Seaborn's Miama hoodrats a run for their money

and there are lots

LOL

you aint never lied...

i be tryna escape em' but they be popping up everywhere all over dallas....

they taking over

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 11:18pm

lol no one day i was coming from galveston and on my way out of houston the only route i could take was 610 to 290

having to drive from one end of houston to the other is the woat

lol i still have flashbacks

Posted By: BaileyAlexandria
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 11:34pm
I want to Move to Houston! LBis gonne take me to sunday brunch every week 

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 11:36pm
lol.....yea...Cypress is expensiveCry

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 11:39pm

yep expensive but very nice...its worth the price to me

i love their shopping area....so many restaurants/stores to choose from 

i love it

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 11:45pm
LOL Model.. hell yeah, Houston is big as hell. It can take over 45 minutes to get to diff places WITHIN Houston city limits with mostly highway driving

Bailey... ummm... about that.. let me  get a better paying job first!

I'd hate to live in a Houston suburb. I wouldn't mind living right off of 288 in Pearland because I'm always there shopping.. but Katy is a hellllllll naw. Maybe a suburb (only if its close to the highway) when I get married and have kids..

Posted By: cutie
Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 12:06am
i've only visited Houston and Dallas and i'd much rather live in Dallas.  I stayed with my cousin in Rowlett? and the entire area was nothing but nice houses.  and i could get a nice house for way cheaper than what i would here.  my only concern with dallas is the weather.  i'm a tropical person and i don't deal very well with the cold.  even atlanta was too cold for me in the winter.  but i always hear good things about the schools in dallas, which is something that i need to pay attention to for the little one whenever that time comes.
whatever you do, just don't move to new orleansLOL

Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 12:11am

new orleansDead

that and atlanta are on my do NOT ever visit list

Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 12:44am
Houston weather is better to me. Dallas is further north and it seems to be cooler and have snow days...which I hate.

So when I move to Houston in a couple of years, Cypress is where I need to look. I'm always in the area around the Galleria (I think around westeimer) area and that area seems nice.

Plus, I think anywhere will have a better nightlife than Dallas, I'm so fed up with those ratchet clubs but that's the only few I hear people talking about.

Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 12:53am

it was snow in houston just a few days ago....

no snow in dallas yet

Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 12:59am

Houston weather is better to me.

LOL I promise you'll change your mind in July.

Houston has a huge night life

Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 4:05am

it was snow in houston just a few days ago....

no snow in dallas yet

there was horrible weather with snow in dallas in december or january (I can't remember the month, all i can remember is cars sliding everywhere and I20 & 1-35 being a dangerous commute). It has snowed at least once a year in Dallas the last 4 years I have been here. Houston area and central texas is not as bad as the northern part of Texas.

Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Houston weather is better to me.

LOL I promise you'll change your mind in July.

Houston has a huge night life

I need to experience it more often

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 6:35am

Probably in 2 years.

I have to move.

Guuuuuuuuurllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead

Dont get me startedLOL

Beamers is a hot mess all the way around. It was popping when I moved here almost 5 years ago but now.... I just side eye anyone that mentions going to beamers.. smh.

I've always wanted to experience the night life in Houston though.. I have a few friends that live there. Might go visit in a month or two.

Print Page | Close Window