Print Page | Close Window

What facial exfoliator/peel do you use

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368097
Printed Date: Feb 23 2018 at 7:25pm

Topic: What facial exfoliator/peel do you use
Posted By: Lilaca
Subject: What facial exfoliator/peel do you use
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:02pm
I recently read in a cosmo article that stated scrubs are not supposed to be used on darker skin due to scarring risks.

If you use a scrub/peel what brand do you use?

Replies:
Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:06pm
I use coffee grounds with honey but I am considering using something else, just haven't found a substitute yet.

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:10pm
Sugar or baking soda mostly. 

St. Ives Blemish Control Green Tea Scrub when I remember to buy it.

Posted By: gemini1591
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:15pm
I usually just use the st ives apricot one. Im gonna start making my own when i stop being lazy

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:15pm
St Ives Apricot scrub. 

An aesthetician told me some years ago that it's harsh for facial skin but I haven't had any problems.

Posted By: IslandSuga
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:20pm
Clarisonic for exfoliation but I want to try the juice beauty green apple peel though

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:23pm
Facial Sponge or Lactic Acid......also have the St Ives but Mr00 uses it.....

I was researching making a scrub from jojoba beads and Azduki beans because they dont have those jagged edges like Apricot shell do....let me see if I can paste a recipe I like.....fyi the idea cam from a scrub mad by bobbi brown that i was too cheap to buy.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:24pm
i just use scrubby gloves and cetaphil...

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:27pm
Ahava Mud Exfoliator is gental and the mud gives a purification effect.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:28pm
DIY: Daily Cleansing Grains:

5 parts oat flour
3 parts adzuki bean flour
2 parts bentonite clay
1 part rice flour

First, grind the adzuki beans in coffee grinder until they are a fine powder. Using a fine mesh strainer, sift the ground adzuki beans and discard coarser pieces (see http://floraesthetics.blogspot.com/2013/01/diy-adzuki-body-scrub.html" rel="nofollow - Adzuki Body Scrub recipe for using coarse adzuki). Depending on your preference, you can leave the adzuki powder a little coarse or you grind and sift the powder a second time to get a fine, even texture. I do it twice.

Then combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. To get a uniform consistency, I grind and sift the cleansing grain mixture one more time, but this is not necessary. Store the cleansing grains in a clean glass jar or spice shaker with a sifter top.  

I make about 6 oz by replacing "parts" with "tablespoons" in the recipe, but I recommend trying out a small batch first. You can adjust the ratios or add new ingredients as you experiment with new batches.

To use, mix 1 to 2 teaspoons of the grains with warm water in a small bowl. I use a small glass votive candle container. Stir the mixture into a paste and gently massage onto your face. For a mini facial, leave the grains on your skin for 1-2 minutes. Then rinse off with warm water. It sounds simple, but I find that people can be intimidated by the prospect of "mixing" their cleanser to the right consistency. I never get it exactly right. And sometimes, that's my favorite part.

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:29pm
gloves and if I have time; sugar, lemon, baking soda , evoo

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 5:26pm
thanks for the responses.

I used to use st ives...may go back to using it. Meanwhile i have been using my muslin cloth

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 5:39pm
sea salt

and maybe de vez en cuando i add a drop or two of tea tree oil in it. i exfoliate like 1-2x per week

Posted By: HeyBeautiful18
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 7:40pm
Coffee grounds and olive oil once a week

Posted By: YoursTruly
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 8:01pm
I use plain ol' sugar with a little cinnamon added...Works GREAT!!!

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 8:19pm
Lactic acid lotion (thanks BHM) and exfoliating 2x/week for my face. It's keeping my face from looking dusty this winter lol

It doesn't touch my mouth area tho. Sh*t took a thin strip of color off my lip about 3 months ago.Ouch

Posted By: miana79
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Lactic acid lotion (thanks BHM) and exfoliating 2x/week for my face. It's keeping my face from looking dusty this winter lol

It doesn't touch my mouth area tho. Sh*t took a thin strip of color off my lip about 3 months ago.Ouch

Hmm, maybe I can use this to even out my lip color. My top lip is darker than my bottom lip

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 11:15pm
I bought a Clarasonic but before that St<Eves Apricot scrub

Posted By: sbrownie84
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 12:44pm
I prefer chemical exfoliation. I like alphahydroxy cream and dr Dennis gross peel pads

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 12:54pm
Wayyy back in the day, is use the St. Ives Peel...I started breaking out after a while.

Now, I either use bentonite clay or egg whites...

Posted By: HeyBeautiful18
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by miana79 miana79 wrote:

Hmm, maybe I can use this to even out my lip color. My top lip is darker than my bottom lip

There was a thread recently with tips to lighten uneven lips

If someone could bump that it'd be nice!

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 2:07pm
^Seems like it could work. Don't end up like me and have part of your natural lip line 'missing'.LOL

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 2:25pm
fullers earth clay; mix with either ACV Braggs or Rosewater hydrosol.

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

Sugar or baking soda mostly. 

St. Ives Blemish Control Green Tea Scrub when I remember to buy it.

I second the sugar and baking soda for exfoilation.

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 4:47pm
latic acid and kojic san...has been the ish in just 3 weeks. I want to wait 2 months before I post before and afters.  I want to start SA peels and then move into tca.

lactic acid isn't dramatic but it shrunk my pores and made me bright not light if tha makes sense

Posted By: MissinCali
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 5:21pm
Oil of Olay spin brush.. works great!

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 12:47am

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 6:48am
And I also have a clarisonic and a facial brush from ULTA. I favor my ULTA brush slightly over my clarisonic. I also use kojie san soap and tca peels. I like putting the baking soda or sugar on my ULTA brush and using it on my face.

Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

gloves and if I have time; sugar, lemon, baking soda , evoo
thanks ming boo...I'm gonna make this later.

Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 6:56am
Originally posted by HeyBeautiful18 HeyBeautiful18 wrote:

Originally posted by miana79 miana79 wrote:

There was a thread recently with tips to lighten uneven lips

If someone could bump that it'd be nice!
here you go HB

http://f2.blackhairmedia.com/lightening-dark-lips-updated-with-lip-pictures_topic367089_post10654472.html?KW=lighten#10654472" rel="nofollow - http://f2.blackhairmedia.com/lightening-dark-lips-updated-with-lip-pictures_topic367089_post10654472.html?KW=lighten#10654472

Print Page | Close Window