Print Page | Close Window

Breastfeeding Is Now Required By Law In UAE

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368095
Printed Date: Sep 20 2018 at 1:24pm

Topic: Breastfeeding Is Now Required By Law In UAE
Posted By: Merin
Subject: Breastfeeding Is Now Required By Law In UAE
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 1:31pm
Sweet Jesus!!! Forreal???

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/30/united-arab-emirates-breastfeeding-law_n_4689740.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/30/united-arab-emirates-breastfeeding-law_n_4689740.html

The Emirates' Federal National Council has http://www.thenational.ae/uae/government/fnc-passes-mandatory-breastfeeding-clause-for-child-rights-law" rel="nofollow - passed a clause , part of their new http://www.thenational.ae/uae/government/fnc-passes-child-rights-law-after-three-day-debate" rel="nofollow - Child Rights Law, requiring new moms to breastfeed their babies for two full years, The National reports. Now, men can sue their wives if they don't breastfeed.

According to the National, http://www.thenational.ae/uae/government/fnc-passes-mandatory-breastfeeding-clause-for-child-rights-law" rel="nofollow - there was a "marathon debate" over the legislation, but it was ultimately decided that it is every child's right to be breastfed.

Research has found many benefits of breastfeeding for baby, from r http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/12/baby-formula-disease-study_n_3728706.html" rel="nofollow - educing the risk of obesity to http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/27/breastfed-babies-developmental-skills_n_4507885.html" rel="nofollow - better language and motor development .

However, http://www.babycenter.com/0_when-you-just-cant-breastfeed_1172801.bc" rel="nofollow - not all new moms are able to nurse . In those instances, if a woman is prohibited by health reasons, the council will provide a wet nurse to her. It's unclear exactly how a mother's ability to breastfeed will be determined though. http://www.mommyish.com/2014/01/28/womens-bodies-arent-legislated-enough-united-arab-emirates-forcing-breastfeed/" rel="nofollow - Carrie Murphy at Mommyish raises some additional questions about those exceptions:

Where do the wet nurses come from? Do they live with UAE women and their families? How and who determines if you need one? Who pays their salary? .... And what about formula? Will it be sold in the country? Will it be contraband? Will you need a prescription for it? Some babies actually need formula rather breast milk and some babies can’t digest anything with milk at all, either formula OR breast milk.

Council members are trying to improve rights for working moms to make the legislation more practical. But, unsurprisingly, mothers' support groups have raised issues that go beyond logistics.

Because http://www.who.int/topics/breastfeeding/en/" rel="nofollow - breastfeeding is universally accepted as the healthiest option for moms and babies, new mothers already face great pressure to nurse, a Dubai-based group, Out of the Blues explains. Their purpose is to help women suffering from postnatal illness, many who have trouble breastfeeding.

In an article, http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/comment/why-breastfeeding-law-is-impractical" rel="nofollow - also on the National, Out of the Blues writes :

New mothers are extremely vulnerable and need more support, encouragement and education. It is our opinion that, while encouraging women to breastfeed is a laudable aim, it is by supporting those who can and want to breastfeed, and not by punishing those who can’t, that we will reap the benefits we all want to see in our society.

Here in the U.S., breastfeeding has never been legally required, but politicians have intervened to increase the number of babies being breastfed. In 2012, former NYC http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/30/bloombergs-breast-feeding-latch-on-nyc-hospitals-hide-baby-formula_n_1718664.html" rel="nofollow - Mayor Bloomberg introduced "Latch On NYC," a program that encouraged hospitals to make it difficult for new moms to obtain formula "goody bags." Instead of traditional take-home bottles being handed out, mothers have to request it like medication, and listen to a lecture from hospital staff discouraging formula feeding, unless absolutely necessary.

At the time, the initiative faced its own backlash. http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/why-the-backlash-on-bloombergs-breastfeeding-initiative/" rel="nofollow - Many argued that Bloomberg's tactics would make mothers feel guilty, and as blogger Lenore Skenazy put it, http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/sucking-choice-parenting-article-1.1125979?localLinksEnabled=false" rel="nofollow - "suck the choice out of parenting."

Marie-Claire Bakker, a member of U.S.-based breastfeeding support group, La Leche League, http://www.thenational.ae/uae/government/breastfeeding-should-be-a-choice-not-a-legal-obligation-say-uae-mothers" rel="nofollow - has echoed those sentiments in response to the Emirates' new legislation. “At this vulnerable time, to think of criminalising a new mother who, for whatever reason, is struggling with breastfeeding is not helpful ... She needs informed support, not threats," she told the National.

Replies:
Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 1:39pm
Quote Now, men can sue their wives if they don't breastfeed.

Well that's better than throwing battery acid on them. So YAY.....I guess. Disapprove

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 1:45pm
Two years? I hate when men make laws for womens body.....

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 1:45pm
Good

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 1:48pm
Breast feeding should not be a "choice" imo

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 1:49pm
they want to control our uterus and our breast. What next? Our mouths?

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

For real though. I really don't understand why women stay in those countries

Can they not leave? 

~Disclaimer~
Yasssss I know men make laws for womens bodies in this country, but women here do at least have representation/a voice in the matters.

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 2:06pm
What about the women that cant produce breast milk? It should be the obvious choice but I disagree with the force.....

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 2:12pm

i mean thats good and all but is 2 years the norm for breastfeeding?

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 2:13pm

What about the women that cant produce breast milk? It should be the obvious choice but I disagree with the force.....

if you can't, that is different. im talking about those that can and dont or won't

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 2:20pm

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:03pm
Breastfeeding should be a choice. Some women cannot breastfeed. I suffered from low milk production, so I had to supplement with formula. Some women have inverted nipples. Some babies can't latch on. They overhype breastfeeding. It does not make your kids smarter. Breastfed babies score higher on IQ test because women with degrees are more likely to breastfeed than a woman who does not have a degree. I do believe in the immunological properties of breastfeeding, and that's why I chose to breastfeed for 9 months...after that my milk levels plummeted, and I was barely producing anything.

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

TBH studies show after 1 year the benifits stop....

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

if you can't, that is different. im talking about those that can and dont or won't

I feel you but Im speaking about how when they make laws like this......the women that cant are chastised......I have an Aunt that couldnt and coming from a family where its the only option she was super devestated like actually depressed....she said she felt like a bad mother and everything                                                                                                               

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:23pm
Breastfeeding is a personal choice, I would advise it but it's your right to choose and make decisions concerning your body and your baby.

Breastfeeding was terrible and painful for me. I had clogged milk ducts, swelling and my breast would constantly bleed, I didn't want to feed my baby bloody milk. 
I continually tried for over a week before I was advised to use formula.
When I have another child, I'll try again however I don't want to be forced into it.

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:29pm
I'm pro choice everything when it's about women

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:32pm

this 
Originally posted by LilMissSunshine LilMissSunshine wrote:

Breastfeeding should be a choice. Some women cannot breastfeed. I suffered from low milk production, so I had to supplement with formula. Some women have inverted nipples. Some babies can't latch on.
and this 

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:35pm

But abortion should?

This confuses me.

Posted By: lexis83
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:38pm
Here we go again

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:39pm
I just wish the US would recognize that women need more than 6 weeks after a baby.  More of us would be successful at breastfeeding w/o the added stress.

Back to the topic.  Fck those arab men.  You breast feed a baby for two years bish!

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:40pm
It's easy to have an opinion when you haven't been through it. Breast feeding can be extreme painful for some women. My son was a preemie and couldn't latch on. There are many factors that can occur. I pumped for 2 months, my sister breastfed her children until they were like 2. Different strokes, but breast milk is healthier.

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:50pm
The problem is women there aren't free to choose whether they will have babies or not. Marriage and childbirth is a given and if you don't submit you could be killed. In that context, breast feeding isn't an autonomous choice and I can't support legislating it, even though I know it's the best choice for the baby.

These women are already so oppressed...and this is just another tool to oppress them even more.

Posted By: StylingArabella
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 4:53pm

Breastfeeding should be a choice. Some women cannot breastfeed. I suffered from low milk production, so I had to supplement with formula. Some women have inverted nipples. Some babies can't latch on. They overhype breastfeeding. It does not make your kids smarter. Breastfed babies score higher on IQ test because women with degrees are more likely to breastfeed than a woman who does not have a degree. I do believe in the immunological properties of breastfeeding, and that's why I chose to breastfeed for 9 months...after that my milk levels plummeted, and I was barely producing anything.

Exactly, my daughter was a preemie and I only produced milk from one breast for about two weeks. Even with the lactation coach it dried up. Bish talking about "we can try donor milk Shocked Ouch"...nasty ANNNNND no thanks! Our daughter is extremely smart and has only been sick twice and has no allergies. I think this is all about control. Funny, I used to study with international students from UAE  and they seemed so open minded.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 6:28pm

Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

TBH studies show after 1 year the benifits stop....

This is what I thought...

2 years is too much

Posted By: OrriannaRose
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

I'm pro choice everything when it's about women

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

I just wish the US would recognize that women need more than 6 weeks after a baby.  More of us would be successful at breastfeeding w/o the added stress.

Back to the topic.  Fck those arab men.  You breast feed a baby for two years bish!
For any slow bus folk that are lurking.LOL

Do they know how difficult it is to work and breastfeed full time?! Plus you have to monitor everything that goes into your body during those 2 years.

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 7:17pm

you have any links?

I don't think breast milk makes your baby smarter... It gives your baby a slightly faster processor.
a neurological advantage thats nowhere comparable to formula, which is, in most cases cows milk... Aint nobody checkin for cows milks... We off dat... and on Almond milk :)  

Quote The study,  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811913005922" rel="nofollow - published online in NeuroImage , found that compared with babies who received formula, breast-fed infants had increased development in white matter regions of the brain, including areas associated with planning, social and emotional functioning, motor ability and language. The differences were linked to better performance on tests of motor development and visual acuity.

eta: I don't agree with concocting legislation though... and 2 years is long... but those countries have bigger issues.. a rich nation with antiquated views is not the best look.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 8:03pm
the uae has interesting reproductive laws

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

But abortion should?

This confuses me.
you are easily confused then. I don't mind if the U.A.E bans abortion or homosexuality. It is a Muslim country.

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 8:34pm

But abortion should?

This confuses me.
you are easily confused then.

Okay. That doesn't really answer my question but I don't think you can communicate without being rude so I'll end this here. Thanks for your response!

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 8:38pm
I been on the board for years and given my stance on abortion and breast feeding 1000 times. It never changes. I would not vote to make it against the law, but I wouldn't be mad either if it were prescription only.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 9:31pm
why stop at titty milk? 
force all reproductive age women to take folic acid & reduce autism and birth defects
force all reproductive age women to move from the city to the country, the pollution causes asthma in children
make it mandatory for women to be normal weight prior to pregnancy, reduce premature births and pregnancy related complications
no one over 35 is allowed to give birth, too risky for the child.

the list goes on.

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 9:58pm
what if the woman does breastfeed for those 2 years and then the man claims she hasn't and lies on her to get the divorce?

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 10:27pm
So what happens if the woman cant produce breastmilk?

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 11:55pm
They should pump the men with prolactin (a hormone that produces milk) if the mother is unable.  Why let a stranger breastfeed your child if they are that pressed?

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 4:38am
while IA the breastfeeding is best...this is just a way to make women stay home for 2 years solid. Or better yet...get her pregnant again every other year so she's at home for umpteen years breastfeeding.  Since I refuse to believe you're allowed to breastfeed in public restrooms and such.

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 7:14am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

while IA the breastfeeding is best...this is just a way to make women stay home for 2 years solid. Or better yet...get her pregnant again every other year so she's at home for umpteen years breastfeeding.  Since I refuse to believe you're allowed to breastfeed in public restrooms and such.

Are you referring to the USA or the UAE?

Posted By: leftywefty
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 9:20am
2 years..sheesh

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 9:39am
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

Are you referring to the USA or the UAE?

UAE.

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 9:41am
This really can't be true can it?  I think breastfeeding is great, did it for my kids.  One stuck with it for 8 months and the other for 11.  I don't think it should be required/legislated however.  Ouch

Posted By: Merin
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 10:59am
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

So what happens if the woman cant produce breastmilk?

They give you a wet nurse

Posted By: dijah.love
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 11:12am
And if you have HIV/AIDS?

What about women who do not produce milk?

A woman's right to choose?

I'm all for breastfeeding but its not something that should be regulated by law.

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 3:36pm
this is some bullshyt. 

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 4:02pm

Basically. Them women would get stoned for exposing a kneecap in a public place, how could they breastfeed anywhere but in their homes? Ermm

Posted By: Ds2nice
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 4:14pm
Smh.  Those nigs over there stay tripping.   2 yrs of breasts feeding???  What if it hurts the woman too much to breasts feed?  The women should start rioting and over throw the government. Burn the whole nation to the ground.

Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 1:18pm

But abortion should?

This confuses me.
you are easily confused then.

Okay. That doesn't really answer my question but I don't think you can communicate without being rude so I'll end this here. Thanks for your response!
how the hell didn't I answer the question? You cut off the answer. Wtf

Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 1:19pm
I don't think some have been to the UAE. Some of y'all are making stuff up.

Posted By: csungrl09
Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 5:31pm

this.

Posted By: PeacefulOne
Date Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 1:25pm
TWO YEARS!!!!

Can we say TEETH?!

I breast fed for 18 months, and the first time I got bitten it was ova!       

Print Page | Close Window