Print Page | Close Window

Elementary school apologizes for humiliating act

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368076
Printed Date: Nov 20 2017 at 6:45am

Topic: Elementary school apologizes for humiliating act
Posted By: Alias_Avi
Subject: Elementary school apologizes for humiliating act
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 10:54pm

Elementary school throws away lunches of students owing account balances

By http://news.yahoo.com/author/mike-krumboltz-20110327/" rel="nofollow - Mike Krumboltz, Yahoo News 11 hours ago http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/" rel="nofollow -
File photo of school cafeteria (Thinkstock)

Maybe Ebenezer Scrooge wasn't such a bad guy after all.

A group of up to 40 students at Uintah Elementary in Salt Lake City had their lunches taken away and then thrown in the trash due to outstanding balances on their accounts, as reported by the http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57468293-78/lunches-olsen-lunch-district.html.csp" rel="nofollow - Salt Lake Tribune .

Erica Lukes, a parent of one of the students, told the newspaper, "It's despicable. These are young children that shouldn't be punished or humiliated for something the parents obviously need to clear up."

Lukes' daughter, fifth-grader Sophia Isom, told http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=28541664#ut8LJOsGLkHUQb3F.99" rel="nofollow - KSL-TV that a district employee took her lunch away and said, "Go get a milk." Sophia recalled, "I came back and asked, 'What's going on?' Then she handed me an orange. She said, 'You don't have any money in your account, so you can't get lunch.’”

So, what happened? The Salt Lake City district posted an apology and an explanation on https://www.facebook.com/slcschools/posts/10152290084375769?stream_ref=10" rel="nofollow - Facebook .

A "child nutrition manager" had been sent to the school on Monday to investigate the "large number of students who had zero or negative balances in their school lunch accounts." Officials said they then began calling parents.

From Facebook:

On Tuesday, the calls to parents continued. When lunch time came, students who still had negative balances were told they could not have a full meal but were given a piece of fruit and a milk for lunch. The district does this so children who don’t have money for lunch can at least have some food and not go without.

Unfortunately, children are served lunch before they get to the computer for payment. The children who didn’t have enough money in their accounts had their normal food trays taken from them and were given the fruit and milk.

This situation could have and should have been handled in a different manner. We apologize.

The post on Facebook also goes on to acknowledge that the incident was "an embarrassing and humiliating situation."

The district, according to KSL-TV, contends it did try to warn parents about the outstanding balances. However, Lukes said she was not notified.

"Even if they did try to send the word out, you still don't do that to a child," she told KSL-TV. "You don't take a lunch out of their hands."

UPDATE: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57472249-78/lunch-district-kids-lunches.html.csp" rel="nofollow - The Salt Lake Tribune reports that two Utah lawmakers, Sens. Jim Dabakis, D-Salt Lake City, and Todd Weiler, R-Woods Cross, held a news conference at the school on Thursday.

Weiler called the school's actions "bullying" and "an abuse of power," adding, "This person came into a school and used her power to humiliate and embarrass children and I think we ought to draw a line and say that’s not acceptable behavior."

The school district issued http://news.yahoo.com/district-apologizes-taking-student-lunches-203543903.html" rel="nofollow - another apology , at the news conference. Spokesman Jason Olsen said, "This was a mistake. This was handled wrong." And he added that food shouldn't have been taken from the students "once they went through that line."

Follow Mike Krumboltz on Twitter ( https://twitter.com/mikekrumboltz" rel="nofollow - @mikekrumboltz ).

Replies:
Posted By: Prtybrwneye_z
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 10:58pm
Can't even get past the title. With all the hungry kids out here, I can't!

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 11:00pm
So they rather throw the food in the trash than let those kids eat it? SMH I would take my child out of that school asap. Who knows what else they are doing to those poor kids!!!

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 11:03pm

thrown in the trash???!!!

evil.......

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 11:05pm
How can adults be so petty when children are involved...?

Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 11:07pm

they know exactly what they're doing...no need for an apology

they could have let those children eat their meals

these babies cant help the fact that their parents owe the school money...

this is beyond sad

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 11:08pm
It's petty as hell to throw the food in the trash, and not let those babies eat.

And to do it in front of people...tacky and despicable!

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 11:17pm
smh.  that's sh*t they do at grocery stores and marts.  let the baby have the lunch but just send a note home.  there was no reason for the child to be humiliated in front of everyone.

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 11:18pm
Appalling

Posted By: Cocoa
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 11:19pm
Meanwhile in prison:

Posted By: SeducTress
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 11:20pm
Truth be told the teachers that witnessed it aren't sh*t either.

Reduced lunch is like, what, a few cents...a dollar.

No one couldn't have stepped in and said use my acct. Charge it to me. Here's 20 bucks. NothingSleepy

The kids accts were low. Put a couple dollars in the kids accounts and stfu?

Oh.

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 11:59pm
And they wanna know why kids are so violent, shooting up everything in sight. 

Despicable!

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 12:02am
shame

Posted By: Lonisha87
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 12:11am
Most disgusting thing I've read today

Posted By: Xamaycana
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 12:24am
Originally posted by SeducTress SeducTress wrote:

No one couldn't have stepped in and said use my acct. Charge it to me. Here's 20 bucks. NothingSleepy

Oh.

Teachers usually don't eat in the same cafeteria as the kids. 
This falls squarely on the administration.  How can you tell kids not to waste food, but then throw their lunches in the bin because their parents owe a few dollars? Shameful!!!Angry

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 3:07pm
If the food was going to go in the trash they should have let the kids keep the food. They should have let the kids keep the food anyway. Its not their fault. If it was that serious they should have held a meeting with the parents of the children with delinquent balances.

Posted By: solena
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 4:35pm
what happened to sending notes home? what kind of person snatches food from a child

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 4:43pm
that's some low sh*t right there.

Posted By: alynxx
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 4:46pm
Wow...the shame.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 4:52pm
Quote A group of up to 40 students at Uintah Elementary in Salt Lake City had their lunches taken away and then thrown in the trash due to outstanding balances on their accounts,

they threw the food out?Ermm  so they couldve just let the kids eat it thenStern Smile

you cant have adults like these, with no common sense, around children.  you just cant.

Posted By: MissinCali
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 7:04pm
I might offend some people for saying this but it sickens me to the core that prisoners get 3 meals a day and innocent children go hungry due to a past due balance! Fire those idiots who threw those meals away!!!

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 7:05pm
Reason # 275 why I told my school I was low income and ate for free.....I did this for years....my momma aint even know....i took my lunch money and bought candy....

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by MissinCali MissinCali wrote:

I might offend some people for saying this but it sickens me to the core that prisoners get 3 meals a day and innocent children go hungry due to a past due balance! Fire those idiots who threw those meals away!!!

I got family in jail and I ant even mad.....

Posted By: ppp38
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 7:08pm
The parents did this to their kid. Why aren't they paying for their kids lunches? Why do all these kids have outstanding balances? 

Parents need to start parenting. 

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 7:11pm
I don't have kids yet
but I wish you would try my child's muthafcuking life like that

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 7:14pm
I'm going to need therapy before I have kids
because I would be at the school whooping some ass
lawsuit muthafcuking lawsuit

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Quote A group of up to 40 students at Uintah Elementary in Salt Lake City had their lunches taken away and then thrown in the trash due to outstanding balances on their accounts,

they threw the food out?Ermm  so they couldve just let the kids eat it thenStern Smile

you cant have adults like these, with no common sense, around children.  you just cant.

Originally posted by solena solena wrote:

what happened to sending notes home? what kind of person snatches food from a child

Originally posted by ppp38 ppp38 wrote:

The parents did this to their kid. Why aren't they paying for their kids lunches? Why do all these kids have outstanding balances? 

Sleepy

Posted By: HowardAlumAKA
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 8:40pm
This made me tear up a little. How embarrassing for those poor babies who can't control that their parents aren't putting money on their accounts.

Posted By: purple.chuckz
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 9:07pm
I have no words.

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 9:09pm

It's already hard enough to go to school knowing you have less than other kids
but for it to be put on display
This hurt my heart
I swear I woulda turned that school upside muthafcuking down

Originally posted by HowardAlumAKA HowardAlumAKA wrote:

This made me tear up a little. How embarrassing for those poor babies who can't control that their parents aren't putting money on their accounts.

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 9:18pm

Originally posted by LovesHim LovesHim wrote:

You get a PBnJ sandwich and some milk when you dont pay your bill...... they dont let the kids starve

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 9:24pm
Some of y'all are being obtuse. It is the action and the intent. They could have alerted the kids parents prior. But instead they snatched the food away only to Throw it away? And shame the kids? That is spiteful and a waste! If they were only going t o throw it away the kids could have eaten it. 

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 9:42pm
all my schools did was withhold special activities, like prom and graduation, if students have balances. 
they could have done something similar, like restrict sports or other extra-curricular activities. food should not be used as a form of punishment. that is insane.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Cocoa Cocoa wrote:

Meanwhile in prison:

saddest dose of reality.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by LovesHim LovesHim wrote:

You get a PBnJ sandwich and some milk when you dont pay your bill...... they dont let the kids starve

They gave those kids an orange and milkConfused that's barely a snack. 

Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 9:52pm
school lunches seem so much better now than the 90's though.  my grandma made my lunch everyday, but every blue moon i'd accidentally forget it on the kitchen counter.  i would have to buy school lunch and it was inedible for me.  i was 7 and 8 and those tater tots were just not on my level.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 9:55pm
this reminds me of that movie (higher learning?) where the the professor called the names of the kids who hadn't payed their tuition during class and put them all out. Dead

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Jan 31 2014 at 10:32pm

So the kids should be punished because of what their parents didnt pay? Confused

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 6:07am
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

So the kids should be punished because of what their parents didnt pay? Confused

If the parents don't think that paying for their kids to eat is important, why should the school? All these parents had to do was pay their balance instead of routinely sending their kid to school without lunch money every day. Where I grew up, if I didn't have $$ to eat at school, I simply couldn't eat. There were no credit lunches. Schools should go back to that. 

Posted By: K_Camille
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 6:44am
This is sad.  They should mail the parents the bill directly.  For years I didn't eat breakfast because I thought I had to pay and was often short on lunch money.  My mom wasn't about that packed lunch life either.  Cry   Some of the parents could look into other schools if possible or complain about the treatment, and start packing their kids lunches.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 6:44am

If the parents don't think that paying for their kids to eat is important, why should the school? All these parents had to do was pay their balance instead of routinely sending their kid to school without lunch money every day. Where I grew up, if I didn't have $$ to eat at school, I simply couldn't eat. There were no credit lunches. Schools should go back to that. 

So you agree with them throwing food away instead of just letting them have it?

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 7:26am
school lunch is expensiv.My mom had twins and that was atleast $160 a month. Not every one has it and kids have to go to school or you are fined/jailed.

They have summer lunch programs for a reason. Some kids only ready at school.

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 7:42am
Sounds like some people need to be on that free lunch.

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 8:59am

As a parent w/  two kids in school, I can tell you that its easy for them to run up a balance that I'm unaware of.  I'm not there when they purchase their items.  The school doesn't  always send a note, and when they do it could be days before I see it.  Notes get buried in all the other crap of fundraiser flyers, open house notices and homework.  Once I know there is a balance I can easily pay it online.

That school had no real right in throwing away food AFTER a child receives it.  Thats just plain evil and wasteful.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 1:14pm
how high could those balances be though? When i was in school they only allowed 2 charges (lunch was $1.80 then), after that you couldnt get lunch. they sent notices in the mail as well

Posted By: SeducTress
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Xamaycana Xamaycana wrote:

Originally posted by SeducTress SeducTress wrote:

Oh.

Teachers usually don't eat in the same cafeteria as the kids. 
This falls squarely on the administration.  How can you tell kids not to waste food, but then throw their lunches in the bin because their parents owe a few dollars? Shameful!!!Angry

Confused

There were teachers present in the article.

And this really isn't about teacher/politics. I have teachers in my family. I come in peace.

But what I am saying is, why didn't someone intervene.

And, considering this was a place of education the only people present were educators. Not laymen. Hence...why didn't a teacher, principal, janitor, anyone...step up and say wtf is happening. Or better yet intercede.

Posted By: dijah.love
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 1:52pm
disgusting!

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 3:21pm

I don't care who didn't pay what

taking and throwing away food in front of hungry children is utterly disgusting

they could have simply let them eat and sent them home with a note to their parents

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 3:22pm
So tired of worthless parents.

Every parent who doesn't provide lunch or lunch money should be charged with misdemeanor neglect and forced to attend parental education (to include signing up for wic, snap, free lunch, and whatever else).

It's sad that people can choose not to feed their own kids and have no consequences. From te looks of those parents ain't nan one missing a meal. And if you can't find a peanut butter sandwich and a banana for your kid then they should be in someone else's custody who can at least provide the basics.

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 3:41pm
Ermm

Anyway, I hope who ever made this decision and/or whoever literally snatched a plate away from a child and threw it away loses their jobs. Damnable.

Posted By: leftywefty
Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

So tired of worthless parents.

Every parent who doesn't provide lunch or lunch money should be charged with misdemeanor neglect and forced to attend parental education (to include signing up for wic, snap, free lunch, and whatever else).

It's sad that people can choose not to feed their own kids and have no consequences. From te looks of those parents ain't nan one missing a meal. And if you can't find a peanut butter sandwich and a banana for your kid then they should be in someone else's custody who can at least provide the basics.

how do we know that these parents "chose" not to feed their kids?
we don't know whats going on in these families. unemployment and poverty are real. a good portion of children in urban schools live below the poverty line. 

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 6:53pm

^^this basically pours back into the poor people shouldn't have kids argument...

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 6:58pm
this is one of those things that i feel taxes should pay for.  Colorado better be offering free lunch to every student prek-12th grade with all of that marijuana money.  also, that prison food pic cocoa posted...prisoners should only eat twice per day.  they aren't even doing anything that requires them to expel enough energy to need 3 meals.  i usually run on 1 or 2 meals per day + a snack and i actually have things to do.  they'll live.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

^^this basically pours back into the poor people shouldn't have kids argument...

Not really. If poor people want to have kids,  don't expect other people to feed them.  Your children are your own responsibility. I have no clue why people cannot accept responsibility for themselves or their children. I'm so tired of the taxpayer having to pick up the slack for people's bad decisions. 

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 8:45pm
But...but....poor people pay taxes in their poor neighborhoods which fund their poor children in their poor schools. 

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 8:46pm

girl they gone get you...

@ppp38

And these are very very very small bad decisions in the grand scheme of things.
Yall letting all that anger out in the wrong thread.

Posted By: nitabug
But maysay, you think women have the right to abort,
But not send their kids to school with lunch or lunch money?

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

this is one of those things that i feel taxes should pay for.  Colorado better be offering free lunch to every student prek-12th grade with all of that marijuana money.  also, that prison food pic cocoa posted...prisoners should only eat twice per day.  they aren't even doing anything that requires them to expel enough energy to need 3 meals.  i usually run on 1 or 2 meals per day + a snack and i actually have things to do.  they'll live.

IA. We pay taxes for prisoners to eat in prison for free yet parents have to pay for their kids to eat in school which seems ass backwards IMO.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 8:59pm

Confused Its one thing if they didnt give the students their lunch at all but per the article they gave the students their lunches before even checking to see if they had balances then took them away from them. They could've let them atleast keep the lunch they gave them for that day then sent notes home to the parents. 

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 9:03pm

IA. We pay taxes for prisoners to eat in prison for free yet parents have to pay for their kids to eat in school which seems ass backwards IMO.

We also pay taxes to support the free lunch program, wic, snap, welfare, food banks and the child tax credit. And then there's charitable giving to churches and private organizations.

If a parent can't find a way to make sure their own child has food with every program that's there then they are irresponsible and lazy and their kid needs to be in the custody of someone else.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 9:08pm

We also pay taxes to support the free lunch program, wic, snap, welfare, food banks and the child tax credit. And then there's charitable giving to churches and private organizations.

If a parent can't find a way to make sure their own child has food with every program that's there then they are irresponsible and lazy and their kid needs to be in the custody of someone else.

Not all students qualify for free lunch programs though atleast here in FL. Only some students qualify for it so I guess the parents are still lazy/irresponsible just because the school concludes their child doesn't qualify? I would rather my taxes go toward all students, and not just some, being fed while they are in school than some prisoner.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 9:11pm
The school free lunch is one of 8 programs I named...and I didn't even mention being frugal and budgeting so that you can make sure your kid has a sandwich and an apple or some rice and beans.

So yes, they are lazy and irresponsible.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2014 at 9:15pm

The school free lunch is one of 8 programs I named...and I didn't even mention being frugal and budgeting so that you can make sure your kid has a sandwich and an apple or some rice and beans.

You said the parents are being lazy by not making use of the programs listed therefore, I don't get what them being frugal has to do with what you said. Also, just as with free lunch programs some parents may not qualify for those other programs as well. BUT, as I said, I'd rather my money go towards feeding a child in school than feeding some criminal which is why I think all students should get free lunch.

Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 9:54am

I don't think it's wise to use blanket statements like that. Especially for something as complex as poverty.
Thank goodness Boston provides free lunches to all students thanks to a government grant.

Date Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 9:58am

You said the parents are being lazy by not making use of the programs listed therefore, I don't get what them being frugal has to do with what you said. Also, just as with free lunch programs some parents may not qualify for those other programs as well. BUT, as I said, I'd rather my money go towards feeding a child in school than feeding some criminal which is why I think all students should get free lunch.

I feel the same way.
Some schools provide free breakfast, lunch, AND a snack. That basically guarantees kids are getting fed, even if they have knucklehead parents. I think we should move towards that model. We can subsidize it by feeding prisoners gruel.

Print Page | Close Window