Print Page | Close Window

Ww cries b/c Bw takes Yoga Class (XOjane)

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=368009
Printed Date: Oct 23 2017 at 7:40am

Topic: Ww cries b/c Bw takes Yoga Class (XOjane)
Posted By: Alias_Avi
Subject: Ww cries b/c Bw takes Yoga Class (XOjane)
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 1:00am
Stern Smile

Black Person in Yoga Class Causes Profound Moral Crisis

Jen Caron, a self-described "skinny white girl," enjoys yoga. Or she did, at least—until a harrowing experience which can be accurately described as, "There was a new person at yoga, and that person was black."

Now, don't go getting the wrong idea here. Jen Caron is not some crude racist. Quite the opposite! You might say that she is almost, ah... too empathetic. The experience of merely being in the same room with a single black person caused her to experience such an intense bout of pained soul-searching that she was moved to write a http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/it-happened-to-me-there-are-no-black-people-in-my-yoga-classes-and-im-uncomfortable-with-it" rel="nofollow - lengthy essay about it on XO Jane . Here, the incident that wrenched her very soul:

A few weeks ago, as I settled into an exceptionally crowded midday class, a young, fairly heavy black woman put her mat down directly behind mine. It appeared she had never set foot in a yoga studio—she was glancing around anxiously, adjusting her clothes, looking wide-eyed and nervous. Within the first few minutes of gentle warm-up stretches, I saw the fear in her eyes snowball, turning into panic and then despair. Before we made it into our first downward dog, she had crouched down on her elbows and knees, head lowered close to the ground, trapped and vulnerable. She stayed there, staring, for the rest of the class.

Because I was directly in front of her, I had no choice but to look straight at her every time my head was upside down (roughly once a minute). I've seen people freeze or give up in yoga classes many times, and it's a sad thing, but as a student there's nothing you can do about it. At that moment, though, I found it impossible to stop thinking about this woman. Even when I wasn't positioned to stare directly at her, I knew she was still staring directly at me. Over the course of the next hour, I watched as her despair turned into resentment and then contempt. I felt it all directed toward me and my body.

Imagine: there you are, in yoga class, when all of a sudden, directly behind you, you sense a fairly heavy black woman who you can feel directing resentment directly at your body. Reality—or nightmare?

I was completely unable to focus on my practice, instead feeling hyper-aware of my high-waisted bike shorts, my tastefully tacky sports bra, my well-versedness in these poses that I have been in hundreds of times. My skinny white girl body. Surely this woman was noticing all of these things and judging me for them, stereotyping me, resenting me—or so I imagined...

I realized with horror that despite the all-inclusivity preached by the studio, despite the purported blindness to socioeconomic status, despite the sizeable population of regular Asian students, black students were few and far between.

To bring you up to speed, if you're just joining us: Jen Caron went to yoga class. Behind her in yoga class was someone new to yoga. That person, who was black and female, was not skilled at yoga. Their presence made Jen Caron painfully self-aware. And then came http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/it-happened-to-me-there-are-no-black-people-in-my-yoga-classes-and-im-uncomfortable-with-it" rel="nofollow - the true enlightenment ...

I thought about how that must feel: to be a heavyset black woman entering for the first time a system that by all accounts seems unable to accommodate her body. What could I do to help her?

Oh no.

If I were her, I thought, I would want as little attention to be drawn to my despair as possible—I would not want anyone to look at me or notice me. And so I tried to very deliberately avoid looking in her direction each time I was in downward dog, but I could feel her hostility just the same.... If I asked her to articulate her experience to me so I could just listen, would she be at all interested in telling me about it?

A DRAMATIZATION OF THIS MOMENT BROUGHT TO LIFE

JEN CARON: Hey there. Can you articulate your experience to me?

NEW YOGA STUDENT: Who are you?

I got home from that class and promptly broke down crying. Yoga, a beloved safe space that has helped me through many dark moments in over six years of practice, suddenly felt deeply suspect. Knowing fully well that one hour of perhaps self-importantly believing myself to be the deserving target of a racially charged anger is nothing, is largely my own psychological projection, is a drop in the bucket, is the tip of the iceberg in American race relations, I was shaken by it all the same.

To recap: there was a black person in Jen Caron's yoga class one time.

I'm sure her, ah, heart is in the right place.

Replies:
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 1:01am
Original post...

Originally posted by <font color='#0000FF'>http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/it-happened-to-me-there-are-no-black-people-in-my-yoga-classes-and-im-uncomfortable-with-it rel=nofollow</font> - xojane http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/it-happened-to-me-there-are-no-black-people-in-my-yoga-classes-and-im-uncomfortable-with-it rel=nofollow - xojane wrote:

]

It Happened To Me: There Are No Black People In My Yoga Classes And I'm Suddenly Feeling Uncomfortable With It

I was completely unable to focus on my practice, instead feeling hyper-aware of my skinny white girl body.
http://www.xojane.com/author/jen-caron" rel="nofollow - Jen Caron

11 Hours Ago | http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/it-happened-to-me-there-are-no-black-people-in-my-yoga-classes-and-im-uncomfortable-with-it#disqus_thread" rel="nofollow - 1503 comments

http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.xojane.com%2Fit-happened-to-me%2Fit-happened-to-me-there-are-no-black-people-in-my-yoga-classes-and-im-uncomfortable-with-it?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=site&utm_campaign=facebook_share_button" rel="nofollow - http%3A%2F%2Fwww.xojane.com%2Fit-happened-to-me%2Fit-happened-to-me-there-are-no-black-people-in-my-yoga-classes-and-im-uncomfortable-with-it?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=site&utm_campaign=facebook_share_button" rel="nofollow -

Photo by http://www.flickr.com/photos/perspective/7244232226/in/photolist-c39zRC-cRkrNQ-cRkGiw-cRkqDd-cRkrku-c39w3G-dooMbF-dooxZ8-dooyCG-doonvx-dooKDc-dooEyj-dooMPj-dooPC5-dooQsE-doozee-dooRhd-dooW1N-dooyBg-a5C4L6-axUTPY-axUTPS-axUTPW-axUTQm-axUTQh-a8K2NF-a8PaWP-a8PaXa-a8Scsb-a8Scrs-a8ScsC-a8KrD4-a8KrBg-a8KrC6-a8Kge2-a8Kgea-a8ScrG-a8Scsy-a8Kgeg-a8PaX4-a8Kgfg-a8PaXR-a8KgeM-a8PaXr-a8PaXk-a8Kgfv-a8KrBP-a8KrBv-a8ScrW-a8PpVz-d1u7ES/" rel="nofollow - Elvert Barnes

January is always a funny month in yoga studios: they are inevitably flooded with last year’s repentant exercise sinners who have sworn to turn over a new leaf, a new year, and a new workout regime. A lot of January patrons are atypical to the studio’s regular crowd and, for the most part, stop attending classes before February rolls around.

A few weeks ago, as I settled into an exceptionally crowded midday class, a young, fairly heavy black woman put her mat down directly behind mine. It appeared she had never set foot in a yoga studio—she was glancing around anxiously, adjusting her clothes, looking wide-eyed and nervous. Within the first few minutes of gentle warm-up stretches, I saw the fear in her eyes snowball, turning into panic and then despair. Before we made it into our first downward dog, she had crouched down on her elbows and knees, head lowered close to the ground, trapped and vulnerable. She stayed there, staring, for the rest of the class.

Because I was directly in front of her, I had no choice but to look straight at her every time my head was upside down (roughly once a minute). I’ve seen people freeze or give up in yoga classes many times, and it’s a sad thing, but as a student there’s nothing you can do about it. At that moment, though, I found it impossible to stop thinking about this woman. Even when I wasn’t positioned to stare directly at her, I knew she was still staring directly at me. Over the course of the next hour, I watched as her despair turned into resentment and then contempt. I felt it all directed toward me and my body.

I was completely unable to focus on my practice, instead feeling hyper-aware of my high-waisted bike shorts, my tastefully tacky sports bra, my well-versedness in these poses that I have been in hundreds of times. My skinny white girl body. Surely this woman was noticing all of these things and judging me for them, stereotyping me, resenting me—or so I imagined.

I thought about how even though yoga comes from thousands of years of south Asian tradition, it’s been shamelessly co-opted by Western culture as a sport for skinny, rich white women. I thought about my beloved donation-based studio that I’ve visited for years, in which classes are very big and often very crowded and no one will try to put a scented eye pillow on your face during savasana. They preach the gospel of yogic egalitarianism, that their style of vinyasa is approachable for people of all ages, experience levels, socioeconomic statuses, genders, and races; that it is non-judgmental and receptive. As such, the studio is populated largely by students, artists, and broke hipsters; there is a much higher ratio of men to women than at many other studios, and you never see the freshly-highlighted, Evian-toting, Upper-West-Side yoga stereotype.

I realized with horror that despite the all-inclusivity preached by the studio, despite the purported blindness to socioeconomic status, despite the sizeable population of regular Asian students, black students were few and far between. And in the large and constantly rotating roster of instructors, I could only ever remember two being black.

I thought about how that must feel: to be a heavyset black woman entering for the first time a system that by all accounts seems unable to accommodate her body. What could I do to help her? If I were her, I thought, I would want as little attention to be drawn to my despair as possible—I would not want anyone to look at me or notice me. And so I tried to very deliberately avoid looking in her direction each time I was in downward dog, but I could feel her hostility just the same. Trying to ignore it only made it worse. I thought about what the instructor could or should have done to help her. Would a simple “Are you okay?” whisper have helped, or would it embarrass her? Should I tell her after class how awful I was at yoga for the first few months of my practicing and encourage her to stick with it, or would that come off as massively condescending? If I asked her to articulate her experience to me so I could just listen, would she be at all interested in telling me about it? Perhaps more importantly, what could the system do to make itself more accessible to a broader range of bodies? Is having more racially diverse instructors enough, or would it require a serious restructuring of studio’s ethos?

I got home from that class and promptly broke down crying. Yoga, a beloved safe space that has helped me through many dark moments in over six years of practice, suddenly felt deeply suspect. Knowing fully well that one hour of perhaps self-importantly believing myself to be the deserving target of a racially charged anger is nothing, is largely my own psychological projection, is a drop in the bucket, is the tip of the iceberg in American race relations, I was shaken by it all the same.

The question is, of course, so much bigger than yoga—it’s a question of enormous systemic failure. But just the same, I want to know—how can we practice yoga in good conscience, when mere mindfulness is not enough? How do we create a space that is accessible not just to everybody, but to every body? And while I recognize that there is an element of spectatorship to my experience in this instance, it is precisely this feeling of not being able to engage, not knowing how to engage, that mitigates the hope for change.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 1:05am
She steeeeeeeeeel managed to make herself a victim of imaginary bullying by a 'jealous resentful Black woman'. Even in fantasy!DeadLOL

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 1:06am
One of the most bizarre postings I've ever read on the internet, for sure

I'm thinking she has an undiagnosed mental illness and I so seriously don't mean that as an insult

Posted By: Mixer
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 1:07am
So much for xojane being an empowering site for women...

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 1:10am
Like jezebel, XOJane is more than likely not for womanists. It's for yt feminists.

She reminds me of the yt girl in Meridian for some reason.LOL

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 1:17am
That black lady probably didn't even notice her.....

Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 1:23am
This bitch has got some nerves...

Really, "Imagine: there you are, in yoga class, when all of a sudden, directly behind you, you sense a fairly heavy black woman who you can feel directing resentment directly at your body. Reality—or nightmare?"

The fact that she felt that BLACK woman had resentment of her body for being skinny white vs and OBESE woman having resentment of her body. Why was race even an issue?    

Did Ms. Carson every think that maybe this woman was trying to catch onto the positions or having difficulty because she just started exercising. She was fairly heavy set as Ms. Carson described. So the entire time she's thinking this woman is judging her who could in actually not given a rat's azz about ms. carson being skinny, white or otherwise. Matter of fact, I like my instructors to look like they work out (white or black). We both can't be obese and you telling me to get my hear rate up.

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 1:24am
Funny how she claims to be uncomfortable about having no blacks in her yoga class... as if yoga studios are the only place in the world to find cool black females.

Perhaps not only it was the first time the black lady was doing yoga but she also felt the moronic author of the article was judging her for her weight and skin color. Just like she felt a wave of hatred from the black lady, the black lady probably felt a wave of hatred from her.

I cannot believe nowadays anyone with internet access can post their thoughts in articles for others to read. The internet is the fool's paradise.

Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 1:27am
Some of the comments are tearing her a new azzhole...

og_cheeky
• 11 hours ago

⚑ Everything about this article is offensive. Somehow, the author's attempt to show self-awareness makes it worse.

eta: I eagerly await the follow-up piece: "IHTM: I was Just Trying to Do My Yoga and This Weird-Ass White Girl Kept Staring at Me with Tears in Her Eyes"

eta, again: Damn, y'all, I have never said anything this popular in my life.

1975 △ 4 ▽   

Share ›

NightOwl > og_cheeky
• 11 hours ago
1/3 of the way in I sighed to myself and said "I bet the author is really young and well intentioned and unaware of how this comes off." yep, pretty much.

352 △   ▽   

Share ›

og_cheeky > NightOwl
• 11 hours ago
Let's just start with the "thin white woman vs the 'heavyset' black woman" thing.

425 △   ▽   

Share ›

Amber > og_cheeky
• 11 hours ago
Not even "heavyset" but "fairly heavy" which is where my teeth became gritted in rage.

152 △   ▽   

Share ›

og_cheeky > Amber
• 11 hours ago
Yeah, I couldn't even bring myself to go back and read that sentence to fact check.

44 △   ▽   

Share ›

Elizabeth Koliada > og_cheeky
• 11 hours ago
Oh January! all kinds of riff raff showing up in her sparkly yoga studio. The fact that she needed to preface the !almost incomprehensible! reason for a black woman to be there in the first place... ugh this is the worst.

269 △   ▽   

Share ›

nicthommi > Amber
• 8 hours ago
Let's not forget, apparently so large that she can't fit on a yoga mat. I didn't know they only fit skinny people.

44 △   ▽   

Share ›

NightOwl > og_cheeky
• 11 hours ago
It was important that she clarify that her sports bra was "tastefully tacky" and her shorts high waisted just to emphasize the contrast between her and the Other.

293 △   ▽   

Kore > baileybell
• 7 hours ago

⚑ Sounds like the author is the one failing at yoga. I mean for all we know the woman she refers to might have been aghast at this randomer's sheer inability to concentrate in class. Also, assuming people are jealous of you because of your weight is one screwed up thing, but adding race to it? Bloody hell who does she think she is?

ETA: I feel like the author was herself so thrown off by having a *clutch pearls* heavyset WOC in her class that it has affected her ability to do yoga to such a woeful degree she wrote a miserable excuse for an article on it. This is projection galore.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 1:41am
Lmao

They changed the name of the author to protect her real identity but people are http://www.google.com/search?q=Jen+Polachek&pws=0&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=D7DoUs-dFYONygGv2IGIBQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=1467&bih=718&dpr=1.09" rel="nofollow - too fast LOL

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 1:56am
They always feel they know what we're thinking.

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 2:04am
She admitted at the end of the article that she was projecting the entire time.

Posted By: Nisha
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:51am
This person is insecure and insane.

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Stern Smile

Black Person i Yoga Class Causes Profound Moral Crisis

Now, don't go getting the wrong idea here. Jen Caron is not some crude racist. 

A few weeks ago, as I settled into an exceptionally crowded midday class, a young, fairly heavy black woman put her mat down directly behind mine. It appeared she had never set foot in a yoga studio—she was glancing around anxiously, adjusting her clothes, looking wide-eyed and nervous.

Within the first few minutes of gentle warm-up stretches, I saw the fear in her eyes snowball, turning into panic and then despair. Before we made it into our first downward dog, she had crouched down on her elbows and knees, head lowered close to the ground, trapped and vulnerable. She stayed there, staring, for the rest of the class.

im sorry, this would of been hilarious regardless of race, but continue i know i wasnt sh*t before i came into this thread

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 6:35am
she went through all the stages of grief just because a black women was in her line of view?Stern SmileLOL

Posted By: mrshairdo
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 6:49am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

She admitted at the end of the article that she was projecting the entire time.

That's like me saying I went to a white restaurant and all eyes were on me like I didn't deserve to be there, how dare they? I write a whole fuccin essay on it then slip in "oh I'm probably projecting" at the end after I've psychoanalyzed the whole thing. And after she talks about "projecting ", she writes

"The question is, of course, so much bigger than yoga—it’s a question of enormous systemic failure. But just the same, I want to know—how can we practice yoga in good conscience, when mere mindfulness is not enough? How do we create a space that is accessible not just to everybody, but to every body? And while I recognize that there is an element of spectatorship to my experience in this instance, it is precisely this feeling of not being able to engage, not knowing how to engage, that mitigates the hope for change."

Mere mindfulness isn't enough? Wtf? The black woman didn't even say shiit to her!

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 6:55am
We can't even do fucking yoga in peace without being perceived as a threat. Confused

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

We can't even do fucking yoga in peace without being perceived as a threat. Confused

And this is what it all boils down to

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 7:29am

Culture vultures at the highest level, those mother*&%^$#@Eas ain't invented no damn yoga and now want to make sure no one does yoga except them, the ARROGANCE!!! They think japanese are some copiers they ain't got nothing on these dummies.

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 7:37am
SMH.....

Bytch need a life....and some damn meds Wacko

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 7:40am
Yt people wanna monopolize every damn thing....including yoga even though it was invented by brown folks. Go figure.

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

BINGO!!! smh scust

Posted By: IslandSuga
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 8:25am
And bishes like this is exactly why if I get offered a job I recently interviewed for I will be declining it. The looks whose YT women were giving me read "she's smart, pretty and qualified? oh hell no" The only black people I saw were the cleaning ladies...Ouch

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 8:34am

Original post...

Originally posted by <font color='#0000FF'>http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/it-happened-to-me-there-are-no-black-people-in-my-yoga-classes-and-im-uncomfortable-with-it rel=nofollow</font> - xojane http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/it-happened-to-me-there-are-no-black-people-in-my-yoga-classes-and-im-uncomfortable-with-it rel=nofollow - xojane wrote:

]

I got home from that class and promptly broke down crying.

this is where i stopped reading
They are always crying for some dumb sheit.
Keep that salt water for your eyes heifer, that black woman dont need itSleepy

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 8:43am
I guess she wanted some sympathy from this article by spinning it to her being the victim and black girl staring her down the whole time cos she was a pole type of bytch. Ummm no ma'am everyone doesn't want to be skinny. Mind your business heifer and do your squats like everyone else. Black girl paid for the class just like you did so we don't need your tears.

Posted By: K_Camille
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 8:52am
I wouldn't be surprised if she's working on a book.

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:23am
So I read the comments on xojane and she is being read for the filth that she is, which I was happy for. 

However, I did read the entire article that she wrote and I got less piss at the end. While it is an offensive article, at least she is able to recognize her narcissistic psychological projections on this woman as being extremely flawed. And at least she knows that increasing diversity is important. Other people might feel the same way, but just attribute that discomfort to being the fault of the other person without recognizing their own pitfalls in their perception of that person.

I like what one comment on xo jane said which was instead of looking at her and judging her, she could have simply introduced herself to the woman since she was new to class and learn more about her. 

Instead, skinny white girl went home and cried lol. She definitely needs psychological help as do many whites who feel uncomfortable around people of other races. Hell I think psychiatry should be mandatory for everyone tbh, but that is another topic.

And thanks for introducing me to xojane website OP. Way better than jezebel. 

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:26am
Originally posted by QueenBee QueenBee wrote:

Some of the comments are tearing her a new azzhole...

eta: I eagerly await the follow-up piece: "IHTM: I was Just Trying to Do My Yoga and This Weird-Ass White Girl Kept Staring at Me with Tears in Her Eyes"

That comment says it all. That woman probably wrote that thinking she's attained the height of self awareness and bliss. There's this meditation class I go to that lasts 2 hours. The first hour is strictly guided meditation and a few mild yoga poses and the second is the discussion period. I always skip the second hour because some of these people are seriously weird. I just go because it relaxes my mind but I have no interest in the teary psychosis that they put themselves through in the second part.

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:37am
I bet ol girl was shaped like Buffy the body or nicki minaj. Imma laugh out loud if ol girl was just thick as hell.

Posted By: BrownQtee
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:48am
^^^ Exactly. Yt women usually feel extremely threatened and uncomfortable around a shapely black woman. They just don't know how to react.

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:50am
Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

That black lady probably didn't even notice her.....
LOLRight!!!! Haoles doin the MOSTTTTT!

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:51am
It's aggravating when a skinny person thinks EVERYONE wants to look like themLOL

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:04am

Posted By: mangachan
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:13am
tl;dr all that foolishness

Posted By: GG
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:33am

One of the most bizarre postings I've ever read on the internet, for sure

I'm thinking she has an undiagnosed mental illness and I so seriously don't mean that as an insult

There's soooo many people out here like this... They're among us.

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:40am
What a self-absorbed, projecting .

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:47am
Black Woman: This downward dog is harder than it phucking looks, and WTF do this bony white bish keep looking at me for?

White Woman: Omg They are everywhere, we cant even have yoga

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:48am
Fck her !!

White women do that sh*t all the time y'all. I take a barre class and I see their little beady eyes staring in the glass.... Ain't nobody even paying attention to their stank asses.

Posted By: SeducTress
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 11:55am
*will go to yoga class today*Approve

And I'll be sure to be front and center.
Booty tooted high and mighty large n in charge for all the yt's to marvel at in awe/disgust from the back of the class.

Yup.

I have nothing else to add. 
You guys pretty much summed up my feelings as I read this bulls*t. 

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 11:57am
Originally posted by IslandSuga IslandSuga wrote:

And bishes like this is exactly why if I get offered a job I recently interviewed for I will be declining it. The looks whose YT women were giving me read "she's smart, pretty and qualified? oh hell no" The only black people I saw were the cleaning ladies...Ouch

Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl, if you don't take that job offer and show your beautiful competent ass in that there workplace for all to see Harriet Tubman gonna visit you in your sleep.

And it won't be pleasant.ConfusedLOL

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

I bet ol girl was shaped like Buffy the body or nicki minaj. Imma laugh out loud if ol girl was just thick as hell.

Bingo!

She wasn't heavy set. Ole girl was probably thick/curvy/hourglass...etcLOL

The morbidly obese ain't checking for no got damn yoga.

Posted By: Lonisha87
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:16pm
Wtf is wrong with this bitch

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:22pm
the nerve

My friends think its hilarious when I do to white people do to us. I will snatch my purse and keep it close if a wm got on the elevator. Lol sometimes I get closer to my date cause im soooo scared.

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:27pm
For starters, yt ppl would consider MK & Ashley Olsen perfect, Zoe Saldana pudgy, Beyonce fat and Oprah morbidly obese.

They consider Casper light skin, Obama darkskin, and Viola Davis is just off of the color radar altogether.

Their sense of EVERYTHING is not subjective, that sh*t is just warped.

That woman was probably use to seeing straight, narrow, and narrower yt women in her class and suddenly a black woman with a nice shape and body (boobies, hips, and booty)...came to yoga, and her ass felt the heat immediately...her ass couldn't handle it and she got insecure.

She wrote a whole damn article displacing her insecurities as if it were the other woman's? This is a new level if batsh*t crazy that I've never heard of.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:30pm
While she talking shat , can we discuss these hippish white womenz who stroll into yoga class hair looking all stringy unloved and from the smell unwashed. You know with that middle part, who don't believe in conventional Sure, Secret, or even some $1 SuaveConfused.

Done rolled around in patchouli, smelling all musky and earthy then wanna kick up they leg Angry

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:33pm
I couldn't even troll cause I was so disgusted.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:33pm
http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/it-happened-to-me-there-are-no-black-people-in-my-yoga-classes-and-im-uncomfortable-with-it#" rel="nofollow - HalimaCherie

Honestly, reading this nearly had me in tears. The projection that this woman put on the "heavy" black woman is what a lot of black women face daily. The constant micro-aggression of people deeming us angry, jealous or filled with resentment because of the box people put us in. This woman's "well intentioned" rant was filled with stereotypes. You assumed this woman had racially charged anger towards you because she doesn't fit America's Euro, thin beauty standard or because you assumed she wanted to be in your place. She couldn't possibly be happy with who she was and just struggling with the yoga poses. Maybe she was weirded out by you and your constant gaze. Us black women (thin,curvy,"heavy", fit) just want to be able to live freely without the constant negative stereotypes being put on us because of a face we are making or not making.

P.S: The "jealousy card" which is constantly used by women that aren't black towards black women, is getting old. Plenty of black women love the way they look. What we don't like is the mistreatment that comes with the skin we are in.

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:34pm
What she needed to do was focus on her on damn poses. Its the instructors job to guide a newbie.

What was she hoping this article would accomplish??

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

For starters, yt ppl would consider MK & Ashley Olsen perfect, Zoe Saldana pudgy, Beyonce fat and Oprah morbidly obese.

They consider Casper light skin, Obama darkskin, and Viola Davis is just off of the color radar altogether.

Their sense of EVERYTHING is not subjective, that sh*t is just warped.

That woman was probably use to seeing straight, narrow, and narrower yt women in her class and suddenly a black woman with a nice shape and body (boobies, hips, and booty)...came to yoga, and her ass felt the heat immediately...her ass couldn't handle it and she got insecure.

She wrote a whole damn article displacing her insecurities as if it were the other woman's? This is a new level if batsh*t crazy that I've never heard of.

I almost cried real tearsLOL

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

While she talking shat , can we discuss these hippish white womenz who stroll into yoga class hair looking all stringy unloved and from the smell unwashed. You know with that middle part, who don't believe in conventional Sure, Secret, or even some $1 SuaveConfused.

Done rolled around in patchouli, smelling all musky and earthy then wanna kick up they leg Angry

Bring em out!

Don't forget the farting and how the hippies "embrace" the gas.

Nah homie. I mean if you gotta toot it happens. You ain't doing it right unless you releasing a lil gas.

But what we not gonna do is "embrace" it.

we will accept it like mature adults but let us not applaud it. 

*cringes* nassy

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Ladycoils Ladycoils wrote:

What she needed to do was focus on her on damn poses. Its the instructors job to guide a newbie.

What was she hoping this article would accomplish??

Get her a paid Splenda white woman tears blog.

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by SeducTress SeducTress wrote:

Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

Bingo!

She wasn't heavy set. Ole girl was probably thick/curvy/hourglass...etcLOL

The morbidly obese ain't checking for no got damn yoga.

"That which commands admiration in the white woman only hastens the degradation of the female slave." Harriet Jacobs

Posted By: mangachan
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:37pm
Okay, I finally got a minute to read the OP.  Someone who has never stepped foot in a yoga class before is nervous and confused and instead of chalking it up to the obvious assumption that she's trying to get the moves right, etc...the presumptive yoga Newb is preoccupied with her?!  If this woman was indeed "looking at her" throughout the class maybe she was attempting to mimic her positions to see if she was right...maybe the black woman was looking in FRONT of her, past her and at the instructor...the black woman was in fact behind her.  Selfish to act like all things revolve around her.  And why did she assume the black woman was new to yoga?!  Yoga isn't my thing but there are some people who are into it.  Maybe she just feels weird being in a new place with new people.  Instead of being a racist cow she should have walked up and said hi to the lady, made small talk like I'm sure she would do for the whyte folx.  If this is how people at that studio act I can't see why they don't get much color, I wonder how many new white people they even retain there.

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 5:10pm
She thinks to high of haself, need to be brought down a peg or two...

Posted By: ragincajin
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 7:18pm
Ah...the predictability of it all.

Is there anything white women can't spin, so that when all is said and done, they are standing squarely in the shadow of victimhood?

Congratulations Jen Polachek! In terms that I'm sure you can understand- You are officially bipedal fecal matter. Get it? A walking piece of shiittt.

I'd tell you to fukk off and die, but I fear you'd just lose your way amid a flurry of white tears.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 7:56pm

Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

Bring em out!

Don't forget the farting and how the hippies "embrace" the gas.

Nah homie. I mean if you gotta toot it happens. You ain't doing it right unless you releasing a lil gas.

But what we not gonna do is "embrace" it.

we will accept it like mature adults but let us not applaud it. 

*cringes* nassy

Reasons why I do yoga at the crib or with loc'd up black folks....

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:22pm
So the backlash was way too much for xojane to handle. They changed her name and removed her picture. But here she is (thanks google cache):
Jen Polachek is her name. But on xojane they changed it to Jen Caron and removed her picture from their site. People are going in and dragging her on multiple forums and response articles have been written. This is the enlightened racist:

Posted By: purple.chuckz
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:28pm
Before she scrubbed herself off the internet, it's very apparent the she has body issues and food issues.  She might also be your garden-variety crazy.

Posted By: harley_quinn
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:33pm
That wicked white witch and her thinning hair. She look like Marilyn Manson, and judging other ppl.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:35pm
You can see the crazy in her eyes...

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:39pm
Looks like Sarah Silverman...

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:51pm
Ok sorry to break it to yall....but...a black woman is who let this article go on the xojane site. Rebecca Carroll (editor) typed this message on her facebook:

"OK before you all flip the f*k out — this piece on xoJane today about a skinny white woman's experience in a Brooklyn yoga studio is blowing up with hate. I assigned this piece after the author, who I know from my neighborhood, and with whom I was having a casual conversation, felt she could share this experience with me — I was impressed by her candor in telling me, a black woman she doesn't even know all that well. I told her to write about the experience. This is the result. I didn't edit or change much. This is her first person experience, which I think is very likely the experience (admittedly seeped in white privilege) of a lot of folks. For that reason, I felt it was a narrative that should be heard.

The other part of this — the fairly vitriolic comments — is about my being a black editor who should have made a better judgement call (according to them) about what constitutes suitable race content. As if I am now the official president of the Black Ethics Committee at xoJane. I have many feelings about this, and will address later. Too overwhelmed by the hate right now"

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:52pm
Try to be nice coon committee Disapprove.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:56pm
I'll just file this under 'When being the token Black voice of reason goes wrong'

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:01pm
I can't breaf.. CryLOLDead

It Happened To Me: There Are No White People In My Twerk-Out Class And I’m Suddenly Feeling Uncomfortable With It

http://www.kazzledazz.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/twerking.jpg" rel="nofollow">twerking

**Not me. Found on internet.

January is such a funny time for twerk-out studios. Everyone is trying to get in shape and perfect their dance moves for the New Year. Of course, this means an overload on twerk-hopefuls entering classes just to quit mid-February.

A few weeks ago, as I settled into my crowded evening class, a young, fairly thin white woman took her position right behind me. She appeared to have never set foot in a twerk-out studio before. She anxiously glanced around the room, adjusting her booty shorts, looking wide-eyed and incredibly nervous. Within just the first few minutes of French Montana’s “Pop That,” I saw the fear in her eyes as she attempted to squat and, well, pop that.  She was obviously filled with panic and then despair. Before we even started twerking on the chairs, she had hunched over with her hand on her knees, head lowered, trapped and vulnerable. She stayed there, staring, for the rest of the class.

Because I was directly in front of her, I had no choice but to twerk in her face. I found it impossible to not think about this poor woman behind me. Even though I wasn’t positioned to stare directly at her, I knew she was still staring directly at my ass. Over the course of the next hour, I felt her despair turn into resentment and then contempt. I just knew for sure, it was directed toward me and my booty.

By the time Juvenile’s “Back That Ass Up” came on, I was completely unable to focus on my twerking.  Instead, I was feeling hyper-aware of my spandex booty shorts, my sexy tight tank top, my well-versedness in dropping it like it’s hot. My heavy-set black woman body.  Surely this skinny white girl was noticing all of these things and judging me for them, stereotyping me, resenting me – or so I assumed. However, I’m pretty sure I was right. How could I be wrong?

I thought about how even though Miley Cyrus appropriated this ancient dance which actually originated in Africa, twerking is still biased towards other races, genders, ages, experience levels and socioeconomic statuses. My twerk-out studio preaches the gospel of rump-shaking egalitarianism but despite it all, it is still mostly populated by non-white people. And in large and constantly rotating roster of instructors, I could only remember two being half-white.

I thought about how that must feel: to be a skinny white woman entering for the first time a system that by all accounts seems unable to accommodate her small booty. What could I do to help her? If I were her, I thought, I would want as little attention to be drawn to my unfortunate dance moves and despair – I would not want anyone to notice me;  in fact, I would down a glass of bleach for even embarrassing myself. And so I tried to very deliberately avoid shaking my behind in her face. But I still felt her hostility towards me. Trying to ignore her only made things worse. Should I have told her to bend over to the front and touch her toes? Should I have encouraged her to drop down and get her eagle on? Would that have made me come off rude or ghetto? Condescending even? If I asked her to articulate her experience to me so I could listen, would she have felt more comfortable? Her lack of ass and skill made me feel so uncomfortable. The system should make itself accessible to a broader range of booty shapes.

I got home from that class and immediately broke down crying. I mean I was hysterical. I called my therapist, my mother and my pastor to help me cope with the pain. Twerking, a beloved dance that has helped me through many dark moments in my life, suddenly felt deeply evil. I so deserved to be targeted by that woman’s racially charged anger. But maybe that’s my own psychological projection. Nah, she was totally hating me.

The question is, of course, so much bigger than twerking, so much bigger than my ass – it’s a question of enormous systemic failure.  How can we fix the system? How can America practice twerking in good conscience when there isn’t enough awareness? I’m sure this piece is one of the most inspiring you will ever read in your lifetime. My words will create change and twerking will never be the same. This story calls for hope.

A woman infamously had the same issue as I did. Please read her story on http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/it-happened-to-me-there-are-no-black-people-in-my-yoga-classes-and-im-uncomfortable-with-it" rel="nofollow - XOJane and appropriately barf afterwards . I didn’t want to state the obvious of how ignorant she is, so I decided to express my frustration through humor.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:03pm
Wth?

The fact that the author felt comfortable enough to come to her with this bullshhhhh story already speaks volumes on her coontasticness...

Yt's will only talk sh*t about blacks to other blacks who they know will sit there and swallow it...

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:07pm
That.reply.is EVERYTHING

It Happened To Me: There Are No White People In My Twerk-Out Class And I’m Suddenly Feeling Uncomfortable With It

YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssCryClap

Bloop

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:09pm
I don't even feel sorry for the black editor smh this is the white piece of sh*t's 'fauxpology'

The piece was deeply tactless, problematic, and self-centered, and I am to blame for that. I am sorry.

I would like to share, however, that I am friendly with Rebecca Carroll, the managing editor of xoJane, which is how the piece came about in the first place. I talked with her about my experience in a yoga class a few days after it happened, not because she is a black woman but because she is a race writer and has engaged me several times in conversations about racial revelations in her own life. She encouraged me to write the story for xoJane, despite my anxieties about how problematic of a standpoint it is and how people might react. She reassured me that the fact that I was having these thoughts at all, problematic as they may be, was a good thing and something worth sharing. I trusted her to be sensitive to the xoJane readership and the ways in which the piece might be perceived. I thought, as she said, that it might be productive. Obviously that was inexcusably ignorant of me.

After repeated requests on her behalf for the story, I sent her what I believed was a fairly rough draft of the piece, reassured by her that it would be edited into something more coherent. It was published almost completely untouched.I'm horrified that what I had intended to be an acknowledgment of my own privilege and complicity in a system that I perceive to be skewed has turned into this. My hope is that Rebecca will give a more detailed explanation of what she had anticipated that soliciting the piece would generate. I can make no excuses for what I've written and feel deeply apologetic and embarrassed for all the negativity that I've generated.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:10pm
just shifting more of the blame on the black editor and that's what she gets 

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:11pm
apology from the black editor

I ASSIGNED THAT "YOGA CLASS" PIECE AND HERE'S WHY

As the assigning editor, I'd like to respond to some of the criticism.
http://www.xojane.com/author/rebecca-carroll" rel="nofollow - Rebecca Carroll

8 Hours Ago http://www.xojane.com/issues/i-assigned-that-yoga-class-piece-and-heres-why#disqus_thread" rel="nofollow - 542 comments

Since xoJane published  http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/it-happened-to-me-there-are-no-black-people-in-my-yoga-classes-and-im-uncomfortable-with-it" rel="nofollow - this piece  yesterday we have received a lot of feedback and speculation on why we published it. It has been suggested by some that we were motivated by pageviews, and that we don't care about our readers and contributors of color.

As the assigning editor, I'd like to respond to some of the criticism. 

Because there are a lot of things that I don't give a about -- pageviews among them -- but the one thing that I give a huge about is race, and the conversations surrounding race.

Throughout my life as a person, a black woman, a writer and editor, author, mother, daughter, partner and friend, it has always been an integral part of my existence to listen and question, invite and engage in dialogs about race. How can we look at issues surrounding race, racism, cultural appropriation and race consciousness in nuanced, unprecedented ways that will help move not merely the conversation, but the actual systemic foothold of the segregationist, tribal thinking that hurts and hinders the growth and emotional health of both black and white Americans alike.   

There is so much work to do on this issue that sometimes it can be difficult to discern between the astute opportunities to engage and the knee-jerk impulses to include all voices, raw and unedited, with the sincere hope that the inclusion will open up an as-yet-unexplored aspect of this byzantine beast of race in America. 

Such was the case when after running into Jen, the author of the original post, who I know from my Brooklyn neighborhood. She shared with me in casual conversation her experience of being in her yoga class and suddenly realizing the impact of her white privilege in reaction to a black woman in the class who appeared to be uncomfortable, and I asked her to write about it.

As she described the scenario, it rang familiar to me. Real familiar. And I was reminded of an experience I had when I was in college.

During one spring break I went to Florida with a white girlfriend and several of her white friends, all of whom came from wealthy families, were blonde and thin and almost prodigiously pleased with their body privilege, without any real awareness of its impact, or that addressing me as "Hey curvy," would be offensive to me.

I am not a big girl, but I am curvy, and the way they so freely referred to me as curvy by default because I'm black, all while lounging in their bikinis, sure, I felt resentful. And angry, and invisible. Maybe the black woman in Jen's yoga class felt that way too, or maybe she didn't, but the fact that Jen was willingly offering up this explicit admittance of her white privilege struck me as valuable in some way. At the very least, a good jump-off point.    

Those of us who write about race in the media, and who are race conscious, are often expressing our frustration over unaccounted for white privilege, or the rampant cultural appropriation that goes on constantly. Mostly we hear privilege couched in this way: "I know that black people are disadvantaged, but that doesn't mean that I as a white person am at an advantage because of it."

But actually, it does. The white girls in Florida and Jen are at an advantage when they may decide, unknowingly or otherwise, to use their privilege to make assumptions about how one individual black woman feels about her body in whatever environment. 

I truly did not anticipate the response we have received from xoJane readers and commenters, or from media colleagues who I admire and respect. There have been some really excellent responses, though, http://www.xojane.com/issues/it-happened-to-me-i-read-an-essay-about-a-white-womans-yoga-class-black-woman-crisis-and-i-cannot" rel="nofollow - including Pia Glenn's  on the site today. And in reading her piece as well as the comments and Twitter threads about the original post, I am compelled to think more deeply about my own intentions in publishing it, and its effect.

After taking a step back, halfway through my fourth week as an editor at xoJane, I realized that in all likelihood if I were a reader who hadn't had the initial conversation with Jen and knew the background and context of the story, I would have been equally as offended as the most critical commenters. Because I SHOULD have asked Jen to do more work and questioning before writing about her experience. Instead, I read it too quickly before running it by only one other editor at xoJane, and published it without giving a thorough enough consideration to the response of the xoJane community, and readers at large. 

One of the main tenets of my writing and work surrounding race is that I want people to understand that these conversations and racism itself can actually hurt people’s feelings. And I don’t want people to be hurt. Not readers, not Jen, and not the xoJane community, who I have learned is spirited, impassioned and tough as nails. I hope I can better serve you with more carefully provocative pieces in the future, and that you will hang in with me as I figure out the right tenor moving forward.  

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:17pm
I see why the editor is at xojane and not working on a womanist website. Someone has to be there to wipe them racist yt tears away.Stern Smile

Posted By: ragincajin
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 6:45am
Again...predictable.

Have fun Ms Editor.

Exactly what time did white folk pin the tail on you?

Jackass.

Posted By: IslandSuga
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 6:54am

Originally posted by IslandSuga IslandSuga wrote:

Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl, if you don't take that job offer and show your beautiful competent ass in that there workplace for all to see Harriet Tubman gonna visit you in your sleep.

And it won't be pleasant.ConfusedLOL

Harriet Tubman, for real lol LOL That's not the only reason why I'm not going to take it if they offer it to me. It's in a no man's land town and I already live in an area like that so I'm not trying to be out there surrounded by no family/friends. If the same job was in a bigger city I'd take it though

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 7:06am
Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

I don't even feel sorry for the black editor smh this is the white piece of sh*t's 'fauxpology'

The piece was deeply tactless, problematic, and self-centered, and I am to blame for that. I am sorry.

I would like to share, however, that I am friendly with Rebecca Carroll, the managing editor of xoJane, which is how the piece came about in the first place. I talked with her about my experience in a yoga class a few days after it happened, not because she is a black woman but because she is a race writer and has engaged me several times in conversations about racial revelations in her own life. She encouraged me to write the story for xoJane, despite my anxieties about how problematic of a standpoint it is and how people might react. She reassured me that the fact that I was having these thoughts at all, problematic as they may be, was a good thing and something worth sharing. I trusted her to be sensitive to the xoJane readership and the ways in which the piece might be perceived. I thought, as she said, that it might be productive. Obviously that was inexcusably ignorant of me.

After repeated requests on her behalf for the story, I sent her what I believed was a fairly rough draft of the piece, reassured by her that it would be edited into something more coherent. It was published almost completely untouched.I'm horrified that what I had intended to be an acknowledgment of my own privilege and complicity in a system that I perceive to be skewed has turned into this. My hope is that Rebecca will give a more detailed explanation of what she had anticipated that soliciting the piece would generate. I can make no excuses for what I've written and feel deeply apologetic and embarrassed for all the negativity that I've generated.

See white people will throw you under the bus in a minute...

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 7:37am
lol re her explanation...she didn't have an experience, she saw a black person...I'd bet the farm that she's been in situations where there was only one-two black ppl in the room dozens, if not, hundreds of times so why does it hit now?  Bc she was so disgusted by the black woman's body that she couldn't wrap her head around the bw being confident enough to walk her lone black ass into the class. 

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 8:11am

Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 8:37am
Originally posted by BrownQtee BrownQtee wrote:

^^^ Exactly. Yt women usually feel extremely threatened and uncomfortable around a shapely black woman. They just don't know how to react.
Most clear women are fearful we will steal their husbands, just like back in the day when their men weren't giving them any, they used to sneak into the slave pit and give their sexual attention to black women. It's in their genetics..if i recall the gene 'jal-2-ous'. 

They want to be us!

Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 8:42am
http://www.makeagif.com/ugjlEo" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 8:48am
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

So the backlash was way too much for xojane to handle. They changed her name and removed her picture. But here she is (thanks google cache):
Jen Polachek is her name. But on xojane they changed it to Jen Caron and removed her picture from their site. People are going in and dragging her on multiple forums and response articles have been written. This is the enlightened racist:

Sweet mother of nature.....the smell coming from that photo

Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 9:05am
Has someone posted this one yet? The title alone had me dying

CryLOL

http://ht.ly/t52MN" rel="nofollow - http://ht.ly/t52MN

fuJane – It Happened To Me: I Saw A White Person Buy Jerk Chicken and I Couldn’t Handle It

by http://calvincato.com/site/author/admin/" rel="nofollow - Calvin on January 29, 2014 in http://calvincato.com/site/category/blog/" rel="nofollow - Blog

January is always a funny month at jerk chicken restaurants. For some reason, people are just hungrier for white meat with a little kick to it. A few weeks ago, I went into my favorite jerk chicken restaurant Fire Fowl and I saw an older heavyset gentleman walk in. He was slightly balding and had a Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young T-shirt on. He glanced around awkwardly, looking bespectacled and Caucasian as he ordered the jerk chicken with rice and peas.

And then he sat down, took one bite and started to sweat profusely! Oh no, I thought. I could see him looking panicked and frightfully alone. Within the first few minutes, he was frantically gulping at his water. Cry What could I do? Here I was, sitting in a booth with my tastefully tacky Izod sweater and my three seasons ago Beats By Dre headphones around my neck and here was this guy sweating through his hopelessly outdated shirt. Because I was directly across from this guy, I couldn’t help but stare at his poor pale out-of-shape man pain and it pained me.

Even though I had zero evidence, I could feel his eyes burning into my head as he stared at me calmly eating my peppered rice and peas. And I thought, what did I do to deserve this??? I became aware of my perfect mahogany skin and an ideal weight of 160 pounds as I continue to fork up the chicken. And I could feel his hostility, could virtually hear him shouting “Damn your Jamaican genes!” LOL I thought about offering him a glass of milk, but…I couldn’t. I just couldn’t. So I turned away and deliberately avoided the eye contact that I don’t think I received but I’m pretty sure I received.

At the end of the meal, I went straight home and my eyes welled up with tears. Primarily the tears came from the burning sensation on my tongue, but there was also the guilt. The guilt! I thought of all the times that black people thoughtlessly oppressed white people. I thought of the pain white people felt when Macklemore was criticized for co-opting rap music and gay rights for a Grammy. I cried thinking of how I oppressed Miley Cyrus by complaining about her terrible twerking and use of black people as props. I beat my fists against my chest as I thought of how unfair it was that Lupita Nyongo stole that SAG award from a well-meaning white actress. DeadCryLOL

I’m sorry, you guys, I just broke down. Jerk chicken restaurants are a safe space for me and they’ve helped me through difficult times like when I skipped lunch and needed to get dinner before running off to do a comedy open mic. Now everything felt deeply suspect. Could I eat chicken again, knowing full well what my ingestion of it can do to the psyches of those poor defenseless white stomachs? I couldn’t believe that this is how it feels to get a glimpse of the spice-shaming that I put white people through on a daily basis.

I’ll still go to that jerk chicken restaurant though, but I’ve opened my eyes to the feelings of white people. I once was lost but now I’m found. In conclusion, America.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 9:07am
Can't get pass that title

Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 9:07am
I can't with these responses...

Posted By: GG
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 9:29am
http://m.xojane.com/issues/it-happened-to-me-i-read-an-essay-about-a-white-womans-yoga-class-black-woman-crisis-and-i-cannot" rel="nofollow - http://m.xojane.com/issues/it-happened-to-me-i-read-an-essay-about-a-white-womans-yoga-class-black-woman-crisis-and-i-cannot

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 9:41am
lmfao

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 10:43am
LOL

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 12:41pm
I am wiping my eyes. CryLOL

Date Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 1:41pm
http://yogabuckyeah.tumblr.com/" rel="nofollow">