Print Page | Close Window

Atlanta Snowpocalypse 2014

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367997
Printed Date: May 20 2018 at 3:16pm

Topic: Atlanta Snowpocalypse 2014
Posted By: TexturizedDiva
Subject: Atlanta Snowpocalypse 2014
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:22pm
W.T.F.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They said an inch, now it's like 3 or 4, and it ain't lettin' up.  Lookin' like a mini-blizzard right now.  None of the roads have been treated - GA DOT needs to get their ish together.  Cars sliding and stranded in the middle of the highway.  I've been stranded all day and didn't even drive today.  Wandered all over the damn city trying to get home.  Got less than 2 miles away and still couldn't get home.  Had to go to the airport to try and get a cab.  50 people waiting, 5 cabs. 

I'm over it.

</rant>

Replies:
Posted By: Mixer
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:23pm
I'm still surprised that it snows in Atlanta.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:24pm

I live in Chiberia.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:26pm
3 or 4?! It was like an inch earlier and the city was shut down with traffic jams, no gas, etc according to the news.

They failed to mention that the roads were not prepared in advance.Geek

Posted By: PrincessSher
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:28pm
We left work @ 12......some of my co-workers who live in Marietta are still not home yet...............

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

I live in Chiberia.

LMAO, it's 78 degrees and sunny out here today!

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:30pm
i took so many pix lol it's like winter wonderland.  people are abandoning their cars in the streets and walking home bc theyve been sitting in traffic for 4-5 hours.  

Posted By: TexturizedDiva
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by PrincessSher PrincessSher wrote:

We left work @ 12......some of my co-workers who live in Marietta are still not home yet...............

If you ain't where you need to be at this point, you ain't gettin' there.

Posted By: Iowabred&fed
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:34pm
Girl, bye. 

Reaction GIF: oh you, eye roll, Jessica Walter, Lucille Bluth, Arrested Development

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:34pm
I saw this picture of cars driving off the rode in AL....it was like 2 inches of snow on the ground.
Like wtf?

Posted By: Meme0887
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:37pm
LOL

I still can't believe they declared a state of emergency at an inch

GA needs to get it together..u get snow now

Prepare for it..smh

Posted By: iSMILE13
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

i took so many pix lol it's like winter wonderland.  people are abandoning their cars in the streets and walking home bc theyve been sitting in traffic for 4-5 hours.  
I was one of those people. I'll go get my car another day....my son was smiling the entire walk home lol

Posted By: Iowabred&fed
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:45pm
I WISH all we got was 2 inches..shiiiit.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by iSMILE13 iSMILE13 wrote:

I was one of those people. I'll go get my car another day....my son was smiling the entire walk home lol
lol the kids are the only ones smiling all day. 

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by trudawg trudawg wrote:

I live in Chiberia.

LMAO, it's 78 degrees and sunny out here today!
here too. hot as heck.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:48pm
i don't live there but watching the today show they were pretty clear there would be snow and there was nothing that would be done about it because of a lack of equipment to clear the snow. 
most people just should have stayed home today.

Posted By: Maple Syrup
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:53pm
LOL, Amateurs

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:55pm
And yet those no snow here. I feel sorry for y'all.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:59pm

lol the kids are the only ones smiling all day. 

This they were all outside playing....

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:01pm
They didn't cancel school until the very last minute...FCS called at 1:45 to announce that school would be closing at 1:45. By that time the roads were horrible.

So many kids will have to spend the night at school because their parents can't get to them. At my son school they are sending out updates. As of right now (8pm) only 2 buses have made it to the school.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:02pm
Look at this sh*t.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:06pm
Oh ATL.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:06pm
LOL  it's real out here 

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:09pm

I bet ppl who ran from ny to live in the Atl warmth ...surely aint laughing now

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:10pm

They didn't cancel school until the very last minute...FCS called at 1:45 to announce that school would be closing at 1:45. By that time the roads were horrible.

So many kids will have to spend the night at school because their parents can't get to them. At my son school they are sending out updates. As of right now (8pm) only 2 buses have made it to the school.

Fulton cCounty was wrong for that seeing the roads were so bad there. They just showed an accident involving a school bus on TV. It isn't bad but they don't know if any kids are on the bus.

We are in Gwinnett and my kids came home on time.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by TexturizedDiva TexturizedDiva wrote:

If you ain't where you need to be at this point, you ain't gettin' there.

2 of them are spending the night @ a hotel. One is still on Powers Ferry

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:13pm
Try a foot of snow with hills all around the city...

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:14pm
i knew i wasn't stepping my foot in Fulton County beginning at 7 am so i didn't even try.  We are about to walk to the gas station next door b/c we don't feel like having to do any u-turns on a major street and we also just wanna get out in the snow. 

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Oh ATL.

LOLI lived in NY for 18 years before we moved here and  ATL just can't handle snowCry I feel so bad for all the people who are stuck out there.....

Posted By: TOUSHA11
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:22pm
Sucks that they can not handle a couple of inches. It was -20 to -45 here for 2 days in a row and then a few weeks ago it was the same.

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:25pm
that sucks
glad I moved to the NW
All I gotta deal with is that Nuclear waste water from Japan thats gonna doom us all.. 
I'll take that over the snow and the polar freeze. lol 

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:27pm
You guys would scream if I showed you my snow pictures.

Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:28pm
I live in NC and I was shaking so bad, cars in ditches, doing 360's and pushing cars up the hill. I can't deal!

Posted By: gemini1591
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:29pm
My mother left work at 1:30 and didnt get home until almost five. The highways were so bad she just took the street home

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Maple Syrup Maple Syrup wrote:

Post em...

Oh ATL.

LOLI lived in NY for 18 years before we moved here and  ATL just can't handle snowCry I feel so bad for all the people who are stuck out there.....
I would be cursing up a storm if i had to abandon my car and walk home for however many miles in freezing temps.LOL

Posted By: sugabanana
Hubby had to push his car. He still ain't homeCry. I left work since 12 and made it home in 20 mins before it got bad. He had to pull over to buy a charger off 75.

Kids kept begging me to go play outside. I kept saying no its cold outside. Then their friend came" Can the boys come out to play" all of them begging me. I finally gave in and they were outside all of 12 minutes before they told their friend to go home and all came inside. LOL

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by herwoman herwoman wrote:

I live in NC and I was shaking so bad, cars in ditches, doing 360's and pushing cars up the hill. I can't deal!

my GF in NC posted that she was closing up early because of snow. I figurd it wasn't much though lol

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:33pm
Thank goodness I left when I did cos I had on heels today and would be dammed if my bmw with only front wheel drive would've been stuck in the snow and Suga gotta start walking. LOLCry

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:39pm
PH I kept telling my baby to pull over and lets just walk! It took us two hours to drive 30miles smh I couldn't even look at the road I was so nervous. Cars were sliding everywhere! The cars in the ditch

Posted By: SeducTress
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:44pm
laaaaaaaaaaawd

that pic sang posted 

I'm so confused lol Why were people ditching their cars in .5 centimeters of snowCry

DMV snowmageddon survivor Cool

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:45pm
Atliens are dramatic as hell. My son got out of school at 2 and didn't get home until 7. His school is 10 mins away.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

Post em...

From Last Winter in Toronto, this is about 25cm (12-13 inches) which is really not a lot, but it was the most snow that we had in years.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/starbaybee/media/2013-02-28085611_zps0ff7b033.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/starbaybee/media/2013-02-28085535_zpsf7103d9f.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

These were taking in Nov. 2013 in Ottawa. About 30cm (about 15 inches). I was standing at the bus stop on my way to work.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/starbaybee/media/2013-11-27072206_zpsef50b8b1.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/starbaybee/media/2013-11-27072153_zps5ac68054.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

This is all the snow what was plowed around my work. This was taken in December. The pile is much higher now.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/starbaybee/media/2013-12-19161414_zps40bde188.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:52pm
We only get snow/ice every 2-3 years....the roads are basically blankets of ice.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:56pm
That's why you drive slow.
I bet they're trying to drive like there's nothing on the ground.
And they're sliding and panicking which is making it worse. 

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

and using their breaks in the snow/ice... making it worse.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:03pm
My boo didn't touch the gas I was yelling don't brake the whole ride. She actually told me to shutup at one point lol. I swear couldn't have been me driving because I was going to join Elizabeth on the passenger side.

I was turned sideways holding on to the handle in the front and the back. She kept saying babe we're almost home just breathe.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

and using their breaks in the snow/ice... making it worse.

This is exactly what happens on the road.

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:06pm
bunch of random skinny teenagers ran down the road out of the clear blue sky and helped three cars that were struggling to make it up the road. made me proud

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:07pm

Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

Post em...

From Last Winter in Toronto, this is about 25cm (12-13 inches) which is really not a lot, but it was the most snow that we had in years.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/starbaybee/media/2013-02-28085611_zps0ff7b033.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/starbaybee/media/2013-02-28085535_zpsf7103d9f.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

These were taking in Nov. 2013 in Ottawa. About 30cm (about 15 inches). I was standing at the bus stop on my way to work.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/starbaybee/media/2013-11-27072206_zpsef50b8b1.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/starbaybee/media/2013-11-27072153_zps5ac68054.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

This is all the snow what was plowed around my work. This was taken in December. The pile is much higher now.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/starbaybee/media/2013-12-19161414_zps40bde188.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Man, Yall get snow like Russia. 15 foot walls of snow

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:08pm
maple you live in ottawa? i love ottawa!

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:09pm
I got scared and tried to brakw
Lort.
All schools are closed and work too.

I'm glad bc they wouldn't have seen me tomorrow anyway .

No mam , I can't

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by herwoman herwoman wrote:

PH I kept telling my baby to pull over and lets just walk! It took us two hours to drive 30miles smh I couldn't even look at the road I was so nervous. Cars were sliding everywhere! The cars in the ditch

I'm glad yall made it.
It sounded like the roads were a mess.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

maple you live in ottawa? i love ottawa!

Someone actually likes this city? Shocked

I moved here last summer.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:25pm
i go for work about 4/5 times a year and i love it! especially the river walk thingy or whatever its called. i think its beautiful in the spring and if it weren't for the winter, i'd consider moving there.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

Atliens are dramatic as hell. My son got out of school at 2 and didn't get home until 7. His school is 10 mins away.

wow!!  why was it so gridlocked???  

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

i go for work about 4/5 times a year and i love it! especially the river walk thingy or whatever its called. i think its beautiful in the spring and if it weren't for the winter, i'd consider moving there.

It's a pretty city, but it's boring as hell.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:44pm
hubby still ain't make it home yet and both phones are deadCry.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:48pm
Yall some punks lol crying over a couple inches of snow

Posted By: spencer4hire
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:54pm
it took me 5 hours to go 4 miles.  I had to abandon my car and walk the remaining mile and a half home.    wating for road side assistance to tow my car home in the morning I huess.   To think I was born and raised in PA!

I still have members of my team that have not arrived home after 9+ hours....

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

HugI hope your hubby gets home soon safe and soundHug

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:03pm

Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

wow!!  why was it so gridlocked???  

It was icy, a lot of cars couldn't move forward, accidents, chaos.

Posted By: Luv2Teach
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:06pm
It's not the snow, its the ice and from the original weather reports it was only supposed to snow in central to southern Georgia and wouldn't move in until about 4pm.  About 2am, the report switched and said it would be covering most of Metro Atlanta and would start at 9am. 

Unfortunately, the metro area didn't get the message in a timely fashion to see that mother nature wasn't bullsh*ttin' and everybody tried to leave all at once. Either way....ATL needs to accept the fact it snows here now and just brace for whatever. 

Thankfully, my school system only had to teachers to report and once the first snowflake fell they gave us free. 

It wouldn't be me stuck at those schools with those kids because i would have personally started walking their bad asses home myself. 

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:16pm

HugI hope your hubby gets home soon safe and soundHug

Thanks PrincessHug

Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:19pm
I love how Northerns laugh at Southerners when we get snow. Welp, truth is we don't get it often and don't drive in it so there goes tons of wrecks, accidents, etc.

My co-worker laughed because she from NYC and was like "Oh ya'll shutting down schools and business for 1/2 inch of sleet ice, snow. We get like 12 inches all the time. Get over it."   I told her "Yup, it's like how I hear you complain any and every spring to summer about the heat in Texas. It's only sun and heat at about 98 - 105 degrees. Get over it"

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:25pm
1000 kids combined stuck at the 2 HS in my area. Parents are complaining that they don't know where their children are. Buses left 5+ hours ago and the kids still aren't home. Of course every number you call just rings.

Posted By: gemini1591
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:27pm
Smh thats crazy. My moms coworker had to walk all the way home cause her husband was stuck in traffic and her son was still on the school bus stuck in traffic

Posted By: Luv2Teach
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:28pm

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:30pm
I know a Fulton County bus driver that only made it to two of his schools and he started 3 hours late.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by QueenBee QueenBee wrote:

I love how Northerns laugh at Southerners when we get snow. Welp, truth is we don't get it often and don't drive in it so there goes tons of wrecks, accidents, etc.

My co-worker laughed because she from NYC and was like "Oh ya'll shutting down schools and business for 1/2 inch of sleet ice, snow. We get like 12 inches all the time. Get over it."   I told her "Yup, it's like how I hear you complain any and every spring to summer about the heat in Texas. It's only sun and heat at about 98 - 105 degrees. Get over it"
Guuurl!

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:47pm
Carolina-

I had to explain to her the last time I saw snow/sleet/ice in Houston was my freshman year in high school (over 20 years ago). Not sure why one would expect me (or any native southerner) to know how to drive cautiously in something I (or they) see every 15 to 20 years.    

We found out a few years ago Texas doesn't even carry snow tires/chains because we wanted to drive to Pennsylvania to see his folks. They guy was like "What? I guess we can special order them."   

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:49pm
^Lol. 20 years and I wouldn't know what to do either!

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:21pm
ah hayell still nothing.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:24pm
Imma need mrsugabanana to send out a messenger pigeon or something so you can get some rest.Hug

Posted By: MsBianca
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:29pm
this caught me totally off-guard.

i saw a few snow flakes falling first thing this morning and thought "awwww... that's cute"...

then i started to work on my projects. a few hrs. later, i turn on the tv and every channel was talking about the snow - so i opened my blinds like "oh ok wow... let me run to the grocery store real quick - doesn't look that bad".... 

i didn't even make it out of my sub-division... the traffic on the main road was backed up with cars turned facing the wrong way... and people were walking... and i was like "why in the heck are they walking???"... 

so i made a u-turn and came back in the house... it took me a few mins to make the uturn bcz i had to do it on a hill - nervous as hell - but i did it. Thumbs Up

CRAZY

lol

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:31pm

Imma need mrsugabanana to send out a messenger pigeon or something so you can get some rest.Hug

Gurl i will take a bat signal at this point.Confused

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:34pm
I went to the grocery store before the snow and forgot to get cokes, my babe can't live without her coke so once we got home safely I ordered pizza just to get three 2 liters of coke.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:35pm
Hopefully he went to the nearest target or Home Depot. Both are open as 24hr shelters for the storm

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:55pm
Ok I just heard from Mr. Suga and he currently has a busted tire, all roads are blocked and hes just walking. Get this.......he ain't no where near the house. I have low profile tires and only front wheel drive. Not sure what to do.

Every step he takes there are accidents left and right.

Posted By: Butta Cookie
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:57pm

I live in Chiberia.

You in Chi-laska too 00

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 11:14pm

Ok I just heard from Mr. Suga and he currently has a busted tire, all roads are blocked and hes just walking. Get this.......he ain't no where near the house. I have low profile tires and only front wheel drive. Not sure what to do.

Every step he takes there are accidents left and right.
so you know what area he was in? I can look up the shelters in that area.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 11:25pm
Awww suga..Hope your honey makes it home safely or at least get somewhere warm.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 11:30pm
I'm on my phone but I couldn't sleep y'all

I officially retract my earlier post.

I read someone post explaining how it's ICE affecting the area. Between that and sugas missing hubby my conscious was eating at me. Sorry ladies. Truly didn't mean to be flippant.

If it was snow....yah. Sue me I would stand by my snark.

But Ice ain't nothing nice

Please be safe. Suva when I exeprienced snowmageddon I was stranded for hours. Goodness eventually prevailed so I'm sure hubby will be home shortly * hugs *

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 11:33pm
Ugh. Sorry about the typos. Smdh I hate using bhm on my mobile.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 11:38pm
Seducky! You & your conscious.Heart

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 11:40pm
a lot of people that i know had to abandon their cars after the 6th hour and walk 3-4miles home. I cant imagine that they had the proper layers/hats/boots on. One of my friend's mother is still driving and it has been over 8 hours, plus when she does reach her subdivision, he mentioned that she will have to park at the gate and walk to her house. I hope that she has just checked into a hotel somewhere. This is so sad. I cant stop thinking of all of the kids stranded at day care, elderly people on the road and people in the car for hours without their medication, food, water, etc...the people that needed to catch a bus to work and are stranded there with no bus service to return home and the homeless people that are not able to walk to a shelter.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 11:40pm
he just called one of the guys at the office to go pick him up. He was somewhere on Shallowford road. He will stay at his co-worker house tonight per the advice of the police. They said its super dangerous and no one is moving anywhere on the streets now.  So Suga can now sleep. Thanks guysHug

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 11:45pm
The priority now is to get stranded motorist in a shelter. If he's in the sandy springs area PM me. The mayor announced multiple shelters that have opened.

The national guard is being deployed an they are urging people to not fall asleep in the car.

I know someone who left work at 2 and she still isn't home. School buses are stranded with children on them

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 11:47pm
Good!!

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 11:49pm
6 and 8 hours?  smh.  My company put folks up at a nearby Hotel if the snow is gonna be bad.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:00am
It's so many things that factor into where we are now...complete chaos

The snowedoutatlanta Facebook page is so freakin sad....so many people stranded and looking for shelter

Posted By: oh_so_moody
Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:00am
Hi You Guys, 
 I logged in to say I hope everyone in the ATL area is safe as possible. My team left work around lunch. Of 19, only 14 are home as of 1AM. 1 at Target and 1 at home depot. I rented a room in Stone Mountain for one of my elder employees on my card and two other I have been unable to reach. 

It took me a little over 6.5 hours to make it home. I saw cars slide backwards down hills/across bridges. A man was trying to cross Northside Drive and a car slid into him coming to a stop at the light. Thanks Goodness he got up and limped to the gas station. 

I was in Chicago for over three years, Blizzard of 2011 and all that but the difference I noticed is that:

A) the number of people involved, since it's virtually impossible to survive in ATL without a car unlike Chi and NYC, played a major role in the chaos. There were literally parking lot like situations on every interstate and service road. Public transit doesn't really afford people the option to get home any other way than attempt to drive or walk...

B) ATL was/is not prepared. Schools, particularly APS and GCS should have followed suit if the surrounding counties and just bit the bullet. I saw someone said that snow is uncommon. In the years I was here before, never experienced ice like this. Snow is annoying. Ice is deadly.

C) The children involved make it such a sensitive case. My coworker said she will not go home without getting to her son. He sent pics of them sitting around at his school and said kids were crying for their parents. He is 8. 

I pray for all those involved. People walking in the cold, kids/parents separated and those still sitting on the roads waiting to get home. 

Unhappy

I don't like it at all. 

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:01am
Wow as a mom I'd be worried as heck to know my was 4 year old was stranded on a bus. Those kids are probably hunger, crank, cold, etc.

Everyone knows school bus don't provide sufficient heat to keep an entire bus warm. In high school, we also brought extra blankets to keep warm on traveling trips.

It was ice here in the Houston area and the schools, daycares, etc closed down. It iced here last week and they showed cars crashing into bridges, road blocks, other vehicles, etc.. They had over 800 accidents before 12 pm last week when it iced.   Houston mayor was like stay at home if you don't have to go out, don't.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:03am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

6 and 8 hours?  smh.  My company put folks up at a nearby Hotel if the snow is gonna be bad.

Hey ND. I agree, I even called all area Marriott's and Sheraton's in my work vicinity  around 3pm to book rooms for my team and myself and everything was booked solid. 

When it starting snowing around 12pm, i would not have imagined it would turn into ice so quickly with so many people on the roads. Ouch

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:04am
You summed it up well Moody. The babies is what is really upsetting me. Kids stranded on buses and cell phones are dead. Parents are worried sick. Police aren't responding to car accidents with less than 2 vehicles involved. Can't get through to 911. It is a complete mess

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:05am
20 car pileup in DeKalb County. Cry

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:07am
Whoa, I didn't know it was bad at all.

Only 3 school buses made it to my son school today...3!!! The 1st didn't arrive until after 6:30

I tried calling my family in ATL...Not getting any answers. Let me try to hit'em up on facebook.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 12:08am
Moody thanks for keeping us updated.

Print Page | Close Window