Print Page | Close Window

Muhammad Alis son shut off, in poverty

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367976
Printed Date: Nov 18 2017 at 6:30am


Topic: Muhammad Alis son shut off, in poverty
Posted By: Marcelo22
Subject: Muhammad Alis son shut off, in poverty
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 5:12am

http://nypost.com/2014/01/26/muhammad-alis-son-shut-off-dad-living-in-poverty-in-chicago/" rel="nofollow - Muhammad Ali’s son shut off from dad, living in poverty

 




In 1986, when Muhammad Ali Jr. was 14 years old, his father, the greatest boxer alive, picked up the teen for a visit.

“We got in the car, and I said I needed to stop for something to eat,” Ali Jr. recalls. “By the time I came back out, he was gone.”

Ali Jr. called his father’s new wife, Lonnie, and said, “Daddy left me up here. I don’t know why he left me.” She said she’d tell him as soon as he arrived home.

“He turned the car around and came back to pick me up,” Ali Jr. says. “I said, ‘Daddy, why did you leave me?’ He said, ‘I kind of forgot you were in the car.’ ”

Ali Jr. remembers it sadly, the moment when his dad’s Parkinson’s became apparent.

“That was the first time I ­actually realized something was wrong with him,” he said.

Now 41, nearly destitute and living in the dangerous Chicago neighborhood of West Englewood, Ali Jr. fears his father has now forgotten him for good — and the boxing great’s wife, Lonnie, is keeping him from even saying a proper goodbye.

“If I saw my father right now, I’d say I love you, I miss you, and I want you to see your grandkids,” says Muhammad Jr., who lives in a two-bedroom hovel he shares with his wife, Shaakira, and two children, Ameera, 6, and Shakera, 5.

“I wished before my dad got really sick, I could have had that father-son relationship, but that’s impossible now. I wish I could have made up for lost time. But it doesn’t break my heart anymore. It’s been broken so many times I’m used to it by now.”

Muhammad Jr. was born in 1972 in Philadelphia to Ali, then 30, and actress Belinda Boyd, who was 17. Muhammad Jr. can’t remember ever enjoying a family meal together. Mostly, his grandparents raised him, as his father was busy boxing and his mom was acting in films.

He grew up with three sisters — Maryum and twins Jamillah and Rasheda — but when they were infants, Ali began an affair with Veronica Porsche, who became his second wife in 1977.

The kids still saw their dad, and Junior fondly remembers those days as an extended family.

“My father used to do magic tricks. He’d have a handkerchief that he’d make into a cane; he’d then make it disappear. His card tricks were really good. He was such a comical person. My father liked to wear masks and scare people. He liked to have people on the edge of their seats.

“We used to go to Pennsylvania where he had a training camp, and he’d do tricks on stage. We all went. It was all the family, including my stepsisters Leila and Hana. We’d get on the Bluebird Winnebago bus and go up to see him,” Muhammad Jr. says.

“We stayed in log cabins, ride horses, watch him train, jump ropes and eat all the time as a family. He had a great cook.

“But I never went to any boxing matches apart from one when he fought Leon Spinks, and I just remember he kept on smiling even though he was getting hit a lot.

“He never wanted me to be a fighter. He said, ‘Don’t get into it if you don’t know what you’re doing, as it’s dangerous.’


“I used to see him all the time when I was a child. He made sure he was there, would get all the siblings together, and never kept us a secret from each other. I was proud of my daddy. Fame and fortune meant nothing, I just saw him as my daddy.”

But being Muhammad Ali Jr. had its pitfalls. Although his dad was conquering the world for a third time in 1978, his son was battling on the playground.

“You may think having Muhammad Ali as your dad is great, but I had problems. People wanted to pick fights. School was hell. They wanted to see if I was like my father. I’d get bullied all the time. Girls would only get with me because of my father, not because of me. Nothing was as it seemed. I didn’t know who really loved me. People just used me so they could get a glimpse of my dad. Some people didn’t like it that my dad was black or didn’t go to war. We had to fight all his battles.

“It meant my grandparents sheltered me a lot. Dad didn’t know, as he wasn’t around every day. I felt in some ways like I never had a childhood.

“I’d say my father was good and bad. The reason I say that is because my father never really spent time with me. Whenever we had time, he spent it with his daughters rather than me. Even in the only picture I have of all the family together, they’re all wrapped close, and I’m far out to the left. I felt like the outcast. I still do,” Muhammad Jr. sobs.



He says he still feels the problems of his childhood and they’re stopping him from moving on.

“He gave us money directly, anything we wanted. Everything was given to me, and I was hidden away, which has hurt me in the long run. I’m like a 12-year-old in a 41-year-old’s body now. I was always sheltered as a child, limited to what I could do, so I don’t know how to get out there and do it now,” he adds.

“I sometimes resent to this day my dad. I was cursed with this name. People wanted me to follow in my father’s footsteps, but what about my own? I want to make it myself. I don’t want to be in the shadows of someone else.

“It’s like I’m cursed. My life is cursed. I thought about even changing my name to Malik Islam and running away and starting a new life again. But my children stop me. I want to teach them and give them the discipline I never got.”

While Ali was champion of the world at age 22 and amassed a fortune of well over $100 million, his son is living off food stamps. Driving with a reporter to his local cafe for breakfast, he points excitedly at a charity shelter and says it’s his savior.

“I go there when I ain’t got no food in the crib or the kids need shoes and clothes,” he says.

“My life now is crap. I live in a s–t area, a house I don’t own. I survive off handouts and food stamps. I’ve tried for a job, but there’s no hiring. I go on the ­Internet, but I’ve never been taught how to use it, so it always messes up. I’m stuck. If my ­father was still around and was coherent, he’d help me. But that’s not the case, is it? Sleepy

“If I was rich, I’d find a cure for Parkinson’s. Next thing, I’d get a big house with my father and kids and I’d take care of him.”

Muhammad Jr. says the last time he saw his father was at dad’s birthday party in Las Vegas last year, and it was like “he was in a coma.”


“Now when you see him, his hands shake and his face is cold. His expressions are numb. It isn’t him. He had always been talkative, joking around, the soul of the party. Now he doesn’t do any of that. It’s like night and day right now,” Muhammad Jr. says. “Sometimes, you look at things and ask: ‘Did it really happen? Did he box like that? Did he talk like that?’ ”

Ali Jr. blames the breakdown in their relationship on Lonnie, his father’s fourth wife. This isn’t the first time Lonnie, whom Ali married in 1986, has been accused of tearing the family apart. Ali Sr.’s brother, Rahman, spoke out last year about not being able to see his brother and the treatment his sibling was receiving.

Muhammad Jr. says: “He slipped out my life the moment he got married to Lonnie. The trips to see me stopped immediately. She once said that they couldn’t afford to come and see me. How can a man who’s well respected in the world, bigger than Elvis, with all the money he’s made, not afford to travel?”

Lonnie, who has power of attorney, has made it clear Ali Jr. is not welcome, he says. When he phoned his father on Ali Sr.’s birthday, Jan. 17, no one answered.

Muhammad Jr. thinks his dad, now 72, won’t make it to his next birthday — “not a chance” — and hopes the day will come when the greatest living sportsman’s pain will finally ebb away.

“I just want, hope and pray to God that that awful disease takes my dad sooner rather than later. Takes him away from all the suffering he’s in. It’d be really sad to see him go, but everything is for the best, and I will see him again in heaven,” he says.

“I have no regrets in life apart from one. I regret not being able to call him on his birthday and wish him happy birthday, tell my daddy I love him. It may be his last birthday, and this is when you should be with your father the most. I love you, Daddy.”




Replies:
Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 5:52am
Can Ali remember Laila?  Welp...that sucks for him.


Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 5:53am
His life at 41 is crap .. because he made it crap.

I am sure his grandparents sheltered him for good reason .. but it sounds like he never grew up but he is blaming his (Parkingson ridden) father .. for his messed up life.

I am always suspect when kids/relatives of famous/rich people come out of the woodwork and start bad mouthing that relative on the media.

He wants a payday. It's a pity party.


Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 5:55am
I didn't want to say but IA Printer.  The reason this is even a story is because he want's Ali to break him off.  It sucks that dad left u but...*shrugs*  what happened between then and now?  Your life went all the way to sh*t cause....what?


Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:09am
I want to sympathize with him and I do to an extent, but he is now far too old to be still putting the responsibility of his life onto the shoulders of others.

He is grown. He's been grown. He can use all the excuses he likes, but this is ultimately his life and it goes wherever he takes it.


Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:25am
He could have went to college, learned a trade, started a business and etc. Self defeat is the ultimate defeat.


Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:35am
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

He could have went to college, learned a trade, started a business and etc. Self defeat is the ultimate defeat.
Right!


Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:46am
I think something might be wrong with this brother, mentally. If I was Muhammad Ali's son I woulda been had a boxing boot camp business making money. No way in hell imma be the son of the greatest boxer that ever lived and be living in a gang infested Chicago ghetto.


Posted By: PrincessSher
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

His life at 41 is crap .. because he made it crap.

I am sure his grandparents sheltered him for good reason .. but it sounds like he never grew up but he is blaming his (Parkingson ridden) father .. for his messed up life.

I am always suspect when kids/relatives of famous/rich people come out of the woodwork and start bad mouthing that relative on the media.

He wants a payday. It's a pity party.

ITA he needs to stop whining and try to do better for his family........make your own way in life.


Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:17am
If He was a she y'all would be chastising Mohammed Ali bringing his past history of sketchy controlling behaviour with women and recklessness and calling him the typical American black male

But because he is a he .. Well, the lack of sympathy is hardly surprising


Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:19am
Lol like some of y'all aren't fostering abandonment issues lol


Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:20am
LSA said that he has a learning disability. I've only seen Lailah and Hana, is there an updated pic of the 50millon others?


Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:35am
This is sad.

Do we care that Belinda was 17 and Ali was 30? Dam


Posted By: K_Camille
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:38am
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

LSA said that he has a learning disability. I've only seen Lailah and Hana, is there an updated pic of the 50millon others?

I could believe this.  His tone in the article comes across very childlike. Unhappy  

Also, agree with AJ about self defeat being the ultimate defeat.  


Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:41am
Ali ain't sh*t, you don't forget your kids....I know Leila remembers her brother but this bish is a "chef" now...too busy I guess 


Posted By: Blac1Chyna
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:46am
He seems a little slow. that's probably the real reason why he cant get work.


Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Blac1Chyna Blac1Chyna wrote:

He seems a little slow. that's probably the real reason why he cant get work.


I think you might be right. He is 40 with his own kids.

“My life now is crap. I live in a s–t area, a house I don’t own. I survive off handouts and food stamps. I’ve tried for a job, but there’s no hiring. I go on the ­Internet, but I’ve never been taught how to use it, so it always messes up. I’m stuck. If my ­father was still around and was coherent, he’d help me. But that’s not the case, is it? Sleepy

“If I was rich, I’d find a cure for Parkinson’s Confused. Next thing, I’d get a big house with my father and kids and I’d take care of him.” Ermm

This sounds like something a child would say. He might not be all there. Maybe from drug abuse...maybe not. Who knows.



Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:02am
He does sound delayed. 


Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:04am
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

This is sad.

Do we care that Belinda was 17 and Ali was 30? Dam
 
Those were different times, it's the future now dear. We now know it's wrong.


Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:06am
Now, that I read it. Yeah, I would say a learning disability could be the reason. If so, than Ali should definitely help his son, he just wasn't born with the tools to guide him in life. If he was then I would be back where I said self defeat.


Posted By: MzCaliky
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:15am
I live in Louisville and worked at the Ali Center, met Ali and Lonnie. Don't believe everything you read. I wish I could say more but I won't on either side. One thing I can agree with the son on is that I hope Ali does not have to continue to suffer much longer. He still plays tricks though. He once pulled a magical quarter out of my ear. He is not as slow as some people may think. 


Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:33am
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

This is sad.

Do we care that Belinda was 17 and Ali was 30? Dam


 

Those were different times, it's the future now dear. We now know it's wrong.


Yeah I thought that might be it. I almost put that in my post. But i disagree since I'm not that old


Posted By: Blac1Chyna
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:34am
Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:

I live in Louisville and worked at the Ali Center, met Ali and Lonnie. Don't believe everything you read. I wish I could say more but I won't on either side. One thing I can agree with the son on is that I hope Ali does not have to continue to suffer much longer. He still plays tricks though. He once pulled a magical quarter out of my ear. He is not as slow as some people may think

So he is slow then?
No tea no shade


Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:39am
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

LSA said that he has a learning disability. I've only seen Lailah and Hana, is there an updated pic of the 50millon others?
yeah I guessed as much. A forty year old man typically doesn't wear his house keys around his neck on a string.


Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

LSA said that he has a learning disability. I've only seen Lailah and Hana, is there an updated pic of the 50millon others?
yeah I guessed as much. A forty year old man typically doesn't wear his house keys around his neck on a string.


first thing i saw


Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

If He was a she y'all would be chastising Mohammed Ali bringing his past history of sketchy controlling behaviour with women and recklessness and calling him the typical American black male

But because he is a he .. Well, the lack of sympathy is hardly surprising


ITA


Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:02am
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

This is sad.

Do we care that Belinda was 17 and Ali was 30? Dam


 

Those were different times, it's the future now dear. We now know it's wrong.


Yeah I thought that might be it. I almost put that in my post. But i disagree since I'm not that old

Cultural too. Muslim culture in the 70s would arrange marriage and he was close to Elijah Muhammad who liked em young. I side eyed the age gap til I thought of the different factors.


Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:04am
I remember always seeing Jamila & Rasheda in Jet & Ebony when I was a kid and remember them clearly b/c we are the same age, but I never knew about the other sister and Muhammad Jr which I find odd...Here is a magazine cover i googled up from http://www.ontherecordmagazine.com/?cat=11" rel="nofollow - http://www.ontherecordmagazine.com/?cat=11 that shows them all when they were still married.

I cant listen to this link yet b/c I'm a bit busy lol but here is an interview that was in the same article where she is talking about her marriage: https://soundcloud.com/eurnews/khalilah-camacho-ali-on-being" rel="nofollow - https://soundcloud.com/eurnews/khalilah-camacho-ali-on-being






Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:13am
He said right in the story that his dad gave him all the money he wanted when he was younger. Whose fault is it that he didn't think long term about his future/set aside some money for a degree/business/something.


Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:15am
I feel bad for him. It's not easy being abandoned. I'm 28 trying to go to medical school and I still need my parents support. I'm not sure where I'd be if I felt abandoned.


Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:25am
And where was his mother? Why did she not save all of this money his father was supposedly cashing out when they were younger?


Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:42am
Sad story. I also think that some type of mental illness/bipolar is involved and was worsened by the abandonment which was made worse since his dad is an international figure and he carries his name.

Im so puzzled b/c his sisters, the twins (same mother) went to top schools, received degrees, are in there careers, one is married to a rich white man...why the hell cant they help their brother out to keep him from being destitute? Im curious about the story behind the story.  When he was shipped off to live with his grandparents while the mom was pursuing actingGeek, I now wonder if they all got split up and he got the short end of the stick while the other siblings got shipped off to more progressive caretakers....who knows, but this is sad that he isnt allowed to see his dad.


Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 9:48am
I empathize with him. I knew his story


Posted By: Senior Detective
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:39am
ppl that can't take proper care of themselves should not have kids that will suffer along with them


Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:45am
Yeah, but Ali didn't know he would get parkinsons. We all get old and would be like crap when we are old, so everyone should not have kids and keep the species alive.


Posted By: Senior Detective
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:49am
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Yeah, but Ali didn't know he would get parkinsons. We all get old and would be like crap when we are old, so everyone should not have kids and keep the species alive.
I wasn't talking about him


Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:57am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

If He was a she y'all would be chastising Mohammed Ali bringing his past history of sketchy controlling behaviour with women and recklessness and calling him the typical American black male

But because he is a he .. Well, the lack of sympathy is hardly surprising



Speaking for myself, I would echo the same sentiments that others have stated if he was a she.  Bad things happens to everyone but what you do in response to it is up to the individual.  If he didn't know how to use the internet, he would be looking for FREE programs that shows you how to use the internet.  Hell I know for a fact that the Chicago Public Library have seminars that teach individual how to use the internet and I think one of three main branches host seminars on how to create a resume.  All you need is a library card.  Someone at the shelter or other NPOs could have hooked him up.  I know there are libraries in the Englewood area.  It ain't nothing but a bus ride away.  In fact, there is a program with the CCC in which he can enroll to get his AS or AA or a cert and I would work the hell out of the career centers that are dispersed around the city.  He can even look into the JVS and they will help him.  If he wasn't so busy blaming others, he would have been in a better situation.  But you know what, there are people who squander their opportunities regardless of who they are.


Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:58am
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

LSA said that he has a learning disability. I've only seen Lailah and Hana, is there an updated pic of the 50millon others?


What kind of learning disability? 


Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 11:02am
I know I have my father issues but if I allowed my life to go to sh*t i'm quite sure I would be tole to deal with it. Deal with it enough to get my sh*t together. You a grown woman etc etc etc.  When u get to a certain age blaming your parents...or lack of parent...it don't look right. I know it's scornful but he has been cut off for some time now. Why is this only coming out now? Why didn't this story pop off when Ali was not so far gone? Was he doing aight before so it wasn't an issue? If he's slow then that sucks for him even more and I feel some type of bad for him but...*shrugs* I don't think he's slow tho. I think he is just ...uneducated like for real. no shade.  His quote about sh*t neighborhood etc....it didn't read to me as "he special" just like he gave up on school. 


Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 11:02am
I dont think that he isnt rcving a special pass b/c he is male. I think that most people have seen the 'bad seed' syndrome and think that he has underlying issues. Think Mariah's sister that tried to exploit her, Oprah's sster that tried...A lot of people get left behind by well off parents, siblings, etc including countless bhm members that have told ther stories and though in pain, they went on to get a job and take care of themselves by and by. it sounds like he 'demons' as they say are holding him back from greatness therefore the bad seed syndrome.



Print Page | Close Window