Print Page | Close Window

Kandi Burruss: Stupidity of Living Glamorous Life

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367924
Printed Date: May 27 2018 at 8:55am

Topic: Kandi Burruss: Stupidity of Living Glamorous Life
Posted By: PurplePhase
Subject: Kandi Burruss: Stupidity of Living Glamorous Life
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 4:33am

RHOA’s Kandi Burruss Describes the Stupidity of Living the Glamorous Life

Published On January 25, 2014 | By Staff
|
http://financialjuneteenth.com/category/black-people-and-money/" rel="nofollow - black people and money  http://financialjuneteenth.com/category/your-money-2/" rel="nofollow -

http://financialjuneteenth.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/kandi1.jpg" rel="nofollow"> kandi1

by Dr. Boyce Watkins

Just the other day, we wrote on FJT about Phaedra Parks, star of The Real Housewives of Atlanta, whose husband, Apollo Nida, http://financialjuneteenth.com/real-housewives-star-phaedra-parks-husband-arrested-for-identity-theft/" rel="nofollow - was recently arrested on charges of bank fraud and identity theft.   That led to an interesting Financial Lovemaking conversation about the importance of choosing a financially-responsible mate, and also avoiding the trappings of financial gluttony.

Another RHOA star, Kandi Burruss, offers a different perspective.    During an interview on the Hot 97 Morning Show, Burruss explained that being a reality TV star is not as financially rewarding as some might think.  She also used it as a way to explain why she works to live below her means.  Here’s what she had to say, according to Madamnoire.com:

“On a new reality show they’re not making anything,” she said. “If they are getting anything, it may be like $2,500 per episode to $5,000, at the most. Most times, like say for instance the women who started out on our show, in the beginning they didn’t get anything for that first year. They got like $5,000 for the whole season just for the use of their house. When I first came on they didn’t really hardly pay me anything either. A lot of those shows do not pay a lot of money.”

Kandi mentions that anyone thinking about going into reality TV should be sure to have something to promote during their appearance.  She says that the show is more like an infomercial than anything.  I’ve heard the same things behind closed doors.  Often, reality TV shows are short-lived and aren’t very well compensated.  But people who don’t understand business become excited about the idea of being on TV without having any kind of plan for long-term financial stability.  This can be a recipe for disaster.

“This is what I always tell people: Don’t go on the show thinking you’re going to make a big lick off of the salary. Think of it more so as your infomercial. How are you going to make this show sell your business or your product. If not, you’re just going on there to make a a** of yourself.”

Kandi also said that her mother gave her a great foundation on the importance of keeping your budget in check and living below your means.  She says that just because times are good, that doesn’t mean you should live high on the hog and set yourself up for financial failure.

“I was looking at financial books and everything since I was a teenager because my mom was always, ‘Don’t put your eggs in one basket.’ And I didn’t go to college, so you get kind of scared like, ‘Okay, I’m getting all of this money right now, but what I am gonna do now?’ I didn’t want to put myself in a position where I was living so expensively that if something happened next year or two years from now and I wasn’t making the same money, I couldn’t afford my lifestyle. So that’s the first thing, you gotta live below your means.”

“Let’s say for instance if you’re just starting out, it’s some people who can afford $1,000 apartment and go get a $1,000 apartment. That would not be me. If I can afford a $1,000 apartment, I’m going to try to find a $600 apartment and save the $400 towards something I want to invest in. A lot of people handicap themselves from being able to go after their dreams because of the kind of lifestyle they  become accustomed to.”

Financial Juneteenth lessons from this story:

1) The words “rich” and “famous” don’t always go hand-in-hand.  The worst thing in the world is to be famous and have everyone think you have more money than you actually have.  This happens a lot for entertainers who have no understanding of business models.

2) Conservatism is the key to financial survival:  Unfortunately, materialistic culture promoted through music and movies promotes the opposite, leaving us looking really stupid later on down the line.

3) You must be your own business and brand in this ever-changing economic landscape:  Even if someone gives you a job, always find a way to create your own job. Kandi seems to get this, and that’s why I am proud of her.

Replies:
Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 5:10am
ive always like kandi

and she's the wealthiest out of all them

see, people with money are frugal as fuuuck

you dont make money by spending yours

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 5:11am
This is why I LOVE Kandi. This is practical wisdom that I almost never hear about especially from the entertainment world. She doesn't put on for nobody and only does what makes sense for her and her family. Riley is def getting that sound background that a lot of black kids don't, or maybe kids period I dunno.

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 6:32am
i thought nene was the wealthiest one now out of them all?

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 6:32am
How much is nene worth? Isn't Kandi at 35+ mil?

You could be right

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 6:33am
Nene is fake rich with her rentin' ass.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 7:09am
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

i thought nene was the wealthiest one now out of them all?

I doubt it
She rents, Kandi pays cash
Kandi has a lot of song writing credits and business ventures

Nene was on one season of a scripted show
And a guest on another
She hasn't booked any other acting gigs

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 7:15am
I remember her from Sole's 4 5 6.

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 7:16am
Kandi is the wealthiest on the show with all her ventures.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 7:26am
^^and it sounds like she will stay the wealthiest

lol

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 8:06am
Todd better sign that prenup!!!

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 8:08am
i like her Thumbs Up

Posted By: Ms_Kudos
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 8:22am
Nene gets paid the most from RHOA, but Kandi's been making SERIOUS money since she was a teen with Xscape

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 8:28am
yesss, my kind of girl!

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 8:34am
That is sound advice but that red wig, can we just spend a lil coin on one in natural black?

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 10:22am
I barely watched that show (didn't have the channel) but she did strike me as the friendliest and most down to earth of all the bunch. I admire people who manage to achieve all the while remaining humble. It's uncommon out there.

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 10:23am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Todd better sign that prenup!!!

What he better not! He better get that moneyLOL

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

That is sound advice but that red wig, can we just spend a lil coin on one in natural black?
CryLOL

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 10:47am
So she's telling us the $1mil rumored salary to Nene, $850k to herself this season etc are not true?

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 10:48am
Originally posted by zolloh zolloh wrote:

So she's telling us the $1mil rumored salary to Nene, $850k to herself this season etc are not true?

It is but, Nene rents. So.... that money may be gone if she doesn't invest/save it.

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 10:50am

Nene Leakes Net Worth

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/random/" rel="nofollow - Random Celebrity Profile

How much is Nene Leakes worth?

$10 Million

Nene Leakes's Annual Salary

$1 Million Per Season

However this blog puts her net worth at around 4.5mil

Says Kandy sitting on $35 Skyscrapers!
http://tianavonjohnson.com/my-blog/" rel="nofollow - http://tianavonjohnson.com/my-blog/

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 10:53am
I can believe 4.5 before I'll believe 10 mil.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 10:57am
That $35mil as Kandi's networth was pre-RHOA and as much stuff as shes peddled these past 5yrs off this show,its gotta be way more,like closer to $50m

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:02am
Kandi stay being messy in a nice/nasty sort of way, Todd ain't signing nothing but checks made out to cash into his account. 

I guess I'm the one who peeped Todd's Hermes belt while he quitting work and whatnot. Unhappy but I will let Kandy tell her story.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:09am

That $35mil as Kandi's networth was pre-RHOA and as much stuff as shes peddled these past 5yrs off this show,its gotta be way more,like closer to $50m
doesnt she have a number one selling sex toy business too?

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:10am

She's telling you what make on this show is not an indication of what you have saved

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:13am

Kandi stay being messy in a nice/nasty sort of way, Todd ain't signing nothing but checks made out to cash into his account. 

I guess I'm the one who peeped Todd's Hermes belt while he quitting work and whatnot. Unhappy but I will let Kandy tell her story.

Compared to houses nene and porsha are renting, that h belt is nothing

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:18am
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

The Luxury home market in the Metro Atlanta area has been on a steady decline for the past few years. Only recently, has it began to stabilize and tick up. Renting could've been in their best financial interest at the time.

ETA - Remember, Kandy bought a fixer-upper and had the resources an another residence to reside in while she put equity into it.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:19am
Buying a home when they're cheap >>> renting. 

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:20am

I really like her short hair . Why rent a home and pay millions for a wedding Nene ? Greg made his fourtune in real estate .

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:23am
Originally posted by trudawg trudawg wrote:

The Luxury home market in the Metro Atlanta area has been on a steady decline for the past few years. Only recently, has it began to stabilize and tick up. Renting could've been in their best financial interest at the time.

ETA - Remember, Kandy bought a fixer-upper and had the resources an another residence to reside in while she put equity into it.

Not sure if u watch show, but for porsha, neither renting or buying what she did was was in her financial interest
I give nene a pass cuz she has Greg to fall back on

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:47am

Not sure if u watch show, but for porsha, neither renting or buying what she did was was in her financial interest
I give nene a pass cuz she has Greg to fall back on

Yea 8k sq ft is insane for a single person, but who knows, it could one of those deals where the rent is really cheap so the house is lived in and full of furniture to show potential buyers. You just never know what the actual deal is.

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:53am
Sound advice. I've always liked KB. Thumbs Up

I don't watch her show though. Reality TV....Dead

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:11pm
Love kandi.
1 mil is easy to blow though after paying the tax man, agents, buying all designer everything, luxury cars, etc. . At the end if the day It's not about how much money you make, it's about how much money you keep.

I know people making 75k, whose net worth is more than a lot of people making double because they don't participate in the luxury goods market.

Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:11pm
I think Kandi is the only financially stable one in the group.  How is renting a home in your 40s an option unless you have no other choice.  They all seem to love that lifestyle.  Like, Kenya renting a home at 43, but parking a Bentley in her driveway supposedly given to her by her rich African boyfriend.  If I was 43, and dating a rich African guy, I would have a house paid for in cash and a baby to show for it. 

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

I think Kandi is the only financially stable one in the group.  How is renting a home in your 40s an option unless you have no other choice.  They all seem to love that lifestyle.  Like, Kenya renting a home at 43, but parking a Bentley in her driveway supposedly given to her by her rich African boyfriend.  If I was 43, and dating a rich African guy, I would have a house paid for in cash and a baby ring to show for it. 

i was all nods until that baby thing

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:24pm

I think Kandi is the only financially stable one in the group.  How is renting a home in your 40s an option unless you have no other choice.  They all seem to love that lifestyle.  Like, Kenya renting a home at 43, but parking a Bentley in her driveway supposedly given to her by her rich African boyfriend.  If I was 43, and dating a rich African guy, I would have a house paid for in cash and a baby ring to show for it. 

Well she's 43 and says she desperately wants to have a child, so tell your dude to keep the car and give you sperm instead.  I don't understand her priorities.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:27pm
Also, at 43 you can't be holding on for the ring.  You only have so many eggs left.  Getting both is ideal, but you have to be realistic.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

doesnt she have a number one selling sex toy business too?
yep that sex toy line has raked in some serious coin. and she went straight to the masses to sell it, put up the release party on twitter and errbody n their mama showed up coz they knew they would be on tv. Nene and the other dumb housewives were thumbing their noses talmbout "how dare Kandi invite us to a Twitter party, da hail?!" well duh, that's who's gon buy the product, no middle man necessary...and i think only Phaedra bought some toys that night, the other cast members wanted their freebies Sleepy

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:34pm
Maybe Kenya's rich African guy is already married?

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:35pm
I bet that bentley was rented to show off for her family dinner and the housewives visiting her house. Didnt Kenya show up with a Ford Focus or a similar car 2 episodes prior when they were headed to the Savannah trip?

Posted By: Bonjour baby ooowee
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:37pm
kandy has been in the game for a long time/ has seen people come n go in the industry & made it her business to be about her business. that's the way I think because I had a fATHER that stayed in my ears teaching me how to live within my means too. now momma joyce is BOMB for teaching kandy these IMPORTANT jewels because she's prospering & flourishing remarkably well

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:37pm
I'm  glad for her making a coin and saving a coin . ")

Posted By: Bonjour baby ooowee
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:40pm

I bet that bentley was rented to show off for her family dinner and the housewives visiting her house. Didnt Kenya show up with a Ford Focus or a similar car 2 episodes prior when they were headed to the Savannah trip?

was rented

Posted By: Lonisha87
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:40pm
Great advice Kandi. I refuse to believe Nene is worth anywhere near 10 million. All she cares about is luxury goods and I don't think she cares about saving her money. She only cares about flossing it

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:46pm
The bently could be kenyas. Getting loans is way too easy. When I graduated college I think I came out making like 60k. I decided I needed a new car so I applied for a loan. So here I am 23 year old, I had perfect credit, but still, they pre approved me for a loan up to 45k at a 5% interest rate. I couldn't believe it.

At the end of the day I only financed 17k. My next car I decided I was gonna pay for in cash. Like kandi. My momma didn't raise no fool.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Love kandi.
1 mil is easy to blow though after paying the tax man, agents, buying all designer everything, luxury cars, etc. . At the end if the day It's not about how much money you make, it's about how much money you keep.

I know people making 75k, whose net worth is more than a lot of people making double because they don't participate in the luxury goods market.
Lawd give me a few years and I hope this will be me after I get licensed.LOL

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

Maybe Kenya's rich African guy is already married?

Probably to this dude:

Posted By: purple.chuckz
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

yep it's more about what you keep versus what you spend

the appearance of wealth is a helluva drug

And it will be our downfall. 

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 2:04pm

Yes it is. I made that mistake myself. Sometimes we put so much effort into faking it, that we deprive ourselves of the energy it takes to make it.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 2:19pm

right. me too. Can I just buy a fake pregnancy test? LOL

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 2:24pm
Having his baby to ensure at least 18+ years of checks is in the gold diggin' handbook chapter 3 section 3.2.LOL

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 2:25pm
^^damn. I'd fail lol

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Having his baby to ensure at least 18+ years of checks is in the gold diggin' handbook chapter 3 section 3.2.LOL

That is chapter 1, end book, it's a pamphlet lol

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 2:30pm
IhateyallLOL

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

we've seen  in the few weeks how well that's working out for Luda's Ford Focus ass baby mama 

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 2:34pm
Lmao!!! Ford focus baby mom's

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 2:37pm
Kandi is smart. There was a story out that jay and bey purchased some of her toys
plus her play sold out all the nights it was open
She is now on Broadway with fantasia
Sorry to say but nene can't act

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 2:42pm
Ford Focus?!Dead

Disclaimer: The handbook/pamphlet is not responsible for such fails.

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 2:43pm
Kandi is a go-getter and very smart with her money.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by AwesomeAries AwesomeAries wrote:

Kandi is smart. There was a story out that jay and bey purchased some of her toys

does her toy gig have a website? for investigative purposes...

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 2:51pm

Originally posted by AwesomeAries AwesomeAries wrote:

does her toy gig have a website? for investigative purposes...

I was waiting for someone to ask so I could pretend I didn't want to know tooLOL

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 3:23pm
Get Dat Money Toddo 

> Point Alpha hits fan with the trollface! - Photo posted in BX SportsCenter | Sign in and leave a comment below!

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 3:28pm
She looks so demonic to me. How does no one else see it?

Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 3:38pm
Keep your coins but please fix your weave it will balance out that horrible wardrobe.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 3:44pm
Kandi not the cutest but she has a good head on her shoulders!

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 3:52pm

http://bedroomkandi.com" rel="nofollow - http://bedroomkandi.com

that's her site, i remembered the name and googled it.
the site looks really good.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by purple.chuckz purple.chuckz wrote:

two gemsClap

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

She looks so demonic to me. How does no one else see it?

Cry

Posted By: Senior Detective
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

http://bedroomkandi.com" rel="nofollow - http://bedroomkandi.com

that's her site, i remembered the name and googled it.
the site looks really good.
at them prices, I wanna see some reviews

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

two gemsClap

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 4:06pm

Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

two gemsClap

these types of flawed ass comparisons are so dumb

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 4:06pm
You get the point. Just replace white with wealthy

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 4:09pm
im not even talking about that. broke people don't drive the luxury market. simple as that

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 4:14pm

im not even talking about that. broke people don't drive the luxury market. simple as that

Please explain. IMO, its seems like the people who can afford it the least are the ones purchasing/renting luxury items/homes.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 4:24pm
I dunno about renting homes, but
you think the people who are saving income tax returns, refund checks, and child support have enough or buy often enough to keep the companies open? 

Posted By: Senior Detective
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 4:29pm
reminds me of those ugly blk kids making fun of the girl's shoes right b4 she bum rushed that ass

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 4:33pm
I use to love Sketchers.Cry

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 5:19pm
This is what I think tru was getting at

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 5:22pm
I know what he was saying
I'm saying it's not true

But people like to believe white I mean rich people don't spend as much on frivolous luxury and I will let the myth continue if it helps them sleep at night

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 5:23pm
I think the point is, it's a little more prevalent in our community due to a myriad of social an economical sub issues.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 5:31pm
i don't know about all the comparisons on rich vs. poor spending habits i think the main point that kandi is getting at is that it's the that people who live below their means to come out on top regardless of income. 
as your income grows, your ability to buy things grow. rich people buy luxury goods all the time, but those items are like a fraction of their income, they are not having to wait until their check comes or put checks together to pay for those items. 

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 5:32pm
Poor people want a taste of luxury so they buy what they can because they know they ain't neva eva eva gone be able to afford that nice house.

Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:02am
It's sound advice. She should write an open letter to Porsha.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:23am
^^^ Porsha peddling hair now, she is not answering emails to sell any but she trying. Cry Does anyone feel like that house she in is a sublet and the real owners are in Florida for 3 months or something?

It look like they left them 2 chairs, that deer and said we will be back.

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 3:08am

^^^ Porsha peddling hair now, she is not answering emails to sell any but she trying. Cry Does anyone feel like that house she in is a sublet and the real owners are in Florida for 3 months or something?

It look like they left them 2 chairs, that deer and said we will be back.
Yasss!!!

Print Page | Close Window