Print Page | Close Window

Medical billing/coding as a career?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367798
Printed Date: Nov 19 2017 at 12:09am

Topic: Medical billing/coding as a career?
Posted By: mangachan
Subject: Medical billing/coding as a career?
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:25pm
Right now I don't have a "normal" job anymore so some family members are practically TELLING me to take a program in medical billing and coding so I can get a job.  I have a degree and I am actually doing freelance work in that area but it's taking longer than anticipated for a lot of different reasons.

I don't really want to go back to school again, especially since I won't even be guaranteed any kind of job.  So that's possibly 4-6 months on a program that may cost thousands of dollars out of MY pocket (that I don't have)...the people telling me to do that wouldn't, can't and shouldn't foot the bill for this.  I have alot of personal issues with this whole issue but my main concern here is that the only way I've been building the momentum I have as far as my freelance work is that I can dedicate most of my time to it. 

Plus, that's like what, 4-6 months maybe before I can even get a job with this certificate?  And I still may not get a job after that.  Just the thought of jumping through more hoops in this job search thing with no freaking reward pisses me off to the point of physical illness.   I will contact a member of the department at the community college to see what she says about it but I just expect it to be full of bull crap about how awesome the program is...because as an admissions adviser I do NOT in any way expect an unbiased assessment.

Is anyone familiar with medical billing and coding?  What is the likelihood of me getting a job in this.  I've jumped through the hoops..why should I be any more employable after getting this little certification?  How long does it normally take people to get through this mess?

Replies:
Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:28pm
Its a pretty lucrative career. Most coders I know work from home. You don't need to go to the office. 

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:31pm
I still don't understand what medical billing is?
They just put in the lil' codes for the insurance?

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:33pm
my ex bff did it. 

i think shes doing well now.. before she couldnt seem to get a job ANYwhere.. 

i regret not doing billing/coding instead of clinical medical assisting.. the school i went to offered that cert with the admin medical assisting... there are too many ppl trying to get clinical jobs 

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:37pm
Its the ways to go since U.S. is late on changing to ICD10. We are currently on ICD9 while all the other countries are on ICD10. The deadline to change over is October 2014 so all the hospital are scrambling to get ICD 10 certified coders on deck. The coders at my company are paid!! If you start out at a hospital you will get chump change. But if you start with a consulting company or a medical software company you will get PAID. 

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:44pm
When insurance receives an invoice it contains a series of codes assigned to each service or procedure. Their job is to maximize the money by making sure the right code is billed. These are called Diagnostic related groups (DRG) I believe...certification means that a dr office or hospital can read and create bills to make sure they receive the proper reimbursement. 

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:44pm
im pretty sure kaiser coders start at like 24 per hour which isnt bad at all 

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:46pm
Its putting in hcpcs codes...revenue codes and service code for dates of services. Also making sure that the doctors have NPI numbers as well has the institution.

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 7:13pm
Well, I guess this might be something that doesn't end in total failure for me.

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 7:22pm
i say dont give up on your career of choice... and if you are going to do this you might as well take a dental hygine training I think its the same amount of time but you make more money in the end!

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 7:46pm
My concern is how feasible it is to be starting out at 2 careers at the same time.  I'm not some super woman who can do it all...I tried to do work relating to my desired field while I was working my last job.  It ended up as a disaster.  How time intensive is the curriculum?  I can't give up on my desired career path or chuck it to the side, that will make the past 20 years of my life a waste of time and if this medical thing doesn't work I think I'm just going to give up at life.

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by mangachan mangachan wrote:

My concern is how feasible it is to be starting out at 2 careers at the same time.  I'm not some super woman who can do it all...I tried to do work relating to my desired field while I was working my last job.  It ended up as a disaster.  How time intensive is the curriculum?  I can't give up on my desired career path or chuck it to the side, that will make the past 20 years of my life a waste of time and if this medical thing doesn't work I think I'm just going to give up at life.
To be honest with you its numbers and keeping updated with insurances and changes. Also knowing the law that pertains to the medical field. The course depends on where you take the classes. Some people do it in 3 -6 months. About your desired career...can acquire a volunteer job just to have a good idea of the path you have decide?. If so you can try that oath first before jumping in head first.hth

Posted By: IslandSuga
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 7:58pm
I worked in a medical billing office doing insurance aging (basically checking on claims status for the providers we had in our company, an entry level position) and the medical billers had consistent hours and pay. I don't know how much they got paid, but one of my co-workers used to work in NY and she got great money (I'm in FL). I think it's a good career and it's something you can make great money in whether you're billing for a private company, private practice or a hospital. ICD codes are always changing so the career is always needing people

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 8:07pm
how does someone with no experience get started in ICD10 ?

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

Connections. That's how I got my last job, by the grace of god. I had no experience in medical billing or insurance aging. I mostly did insurance aging, I basically called the insurance companies for the providers accounts and asked for payments that are missing or got updates on payments. I did a little bit of medical billing, nothing that required schooling though

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 8:43pm

I always see medical billing jobs posted online...how is it hard to find a job in that field? You basically work from home or at a hospital. There will always be work for a medical coder/biller.  

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 8:45pm

good thread

Posted By: mocherry
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:06pm
Medical billers often translate the data that is documented on a superbill onto a HCFA 1500 or UB04. That form is then submitted to the insurance company for payment.

ICD10 has been in the making for a few years now and I think the go-live should finally begin late this year. Some of the easiest information to ICD10 can be found on CMS dot gov. If you are familiar with ICD9, the transition may not be so difficult. It's mostly them adding additional digits and/or letters to the diagnosis code to make it more specific.

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

I always see medical billing jobs posted online...how is it hard to find a job in that field? You basically work from home or at a hospital. There will always be work for a medical coder/biller.  

Truth. The medical field isn't going anywhere. EVER

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:12pm
gosh.. yall are really making me extra regret my choice.. and making my consider going back for it. 

id like to have something that pays well so that i can just do it part time and still be good throughout my 20 more years in school... 

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:15pm
Do you have to take a test to become certified in medical billing and coding?

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

Do you have to take a test to become certified in medical billing and coding?

Yeah but I heard it's easy

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

gosh.. yall are really making me extra regret my choice.. and making my consider going back for it. 

id like to have something that pays well so that i can just do it part time and still be good throughout my 20 more years in school..

this.

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:29pm
OP its the way to go if you have another passion. This can pay the bills during night time and or weekends. 

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:33pm
Two questions:

1.) I read to skip the"billing" part and go straight into medical coding...true?

2.) I also read that more often than not those 6 months programs wont land you a job...and that its a waste of money...no? yes?

thanks in advance

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:34pm
It's Manga!Heart

Hmmm, I'm with Suga. This sounds like a good career especially if you are trying to get your dream career going.

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:39pm
All the ladies at my company have been with the company well over 20 years. Half the team works remote at home and the other half come in if they choose. MY other co-worker told me at her previous job coders got paid extremely well and they had a super awesome training program. 

Modeless im not sure about the program to get certified but I know those women at work are always going on some type of vacation. They get bonuses 2ce a year and it ain't no little bonus.

Posted By: Soulful Beauty
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

Two questions:

1.) I read to skip the"billing" part and go straight into medical coding...true?

2.) I also read that more often than not those 6 months programs wont land you a job...and that its a waste of money...no? yes?

thanks in advance

For the school I went to billing and coding was one program. Maybe other places have it separately.
And my program was six months too. They found me a job, but it wasn't even a billing or coding job.

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:46pm
How much is the tuition for this medical billing and coding schools?

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Soulful Beauty Soulful Beauty wrote:

Two questions:

thanks in advance

For the school I went to billing and coding was one program. Maybe other places have it separately.
And my program was six months too. They found me a job, but it wasn't even a billing or coding job.

what was the job?

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:50pm

All the ladies at my company have been with the company well over 20 years. Half the team works remote at home and the other half come in if they choose. MY other co-worker told me at her previous job coders got paid extremely well and they had a super awesome training program. 

Modeless im not sure about the program to get certified but I know those women at work are always going on some type of vacation. They get bonuses 2ce a year and it ain't no little bonus.

dangg really?

i wish there were a way to find out for sure...i'd hate to do this and not find anything...

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:51pm

suga i heard the tuition can be very costly...

eta: i just saw a program for $4000 which isnt too bad but i wonder if its legit or not

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:53pm
modeless, my exbff who did it.. i dont remember exactly how much but i think it was pricey.. i know she had to get a loan.. like definitely more than double 4k.. and hers was like several months. 

but ive seen places where its only like 3 months and like 3k.. 

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:56pm

Two questions:

thanks in advance

what was the job?

Medical records coordinator. It was a small office and they already had two billers. Still looking for that coding job now.

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:05pm

modeless, my exbff who did it.. i dont remember exactly how much but i think it was pricey.. i know she had to get a loan.. like definitely more than double 4k.. and hers was like several months. 

but ive seen places where its only like 3 months and like 3k.. 

yea im scared now...lol

ill have to keep researching

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:06pm
Guys why don't you get a job at a hospital/medical company for any entry level position then get the company to pay for your course through tuition reimbursement. I know its a hassle but I would rather do that than give Sallie mae another gotdang dime. 

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:06pm
im guessing after you do a 6 month certification program, nobody hires someone with no experience. 

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:07pm

im guessing after you do a 6 month certification program, nobody hires someone with no experience. 

Bunzzzz there's no such thing as no experience. Holla at me I'll verify your experience. 

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:07pm

did your program cost a lot soufulbeauty?

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:09pm

if you can get hired by your externship site.. thats usually your best bet 

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:12pm

this is basically what ive found thus far

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:13pm

You have to be creative and confident otherwise you'll never get a good job. 

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:15pm

it seems like the best bet is to network your way into this career path

im gonna lurk

hopefully somebody will post some gems on this

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:17pm

You have to be creative and confident otherwise you'll never get a good job. 

this is true

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:20pm
suga can you hook me up with a good job when i move to new york? 

Posted By: Chantal34
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:22pm
* bookmarking thread

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:24pm

Bunzzzz there's no such thing as no experience. Holla at me I'll verify your experience. 

black folks supporting black folks.  I luvs to see it.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:27pm
Y'all bout to have all of us in medical billing.LOL

I will tell my mom about this. She is computer savvy and looking for a pt/ft job. It would be great if she could do it from home.

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:48pm

15 thousand. But I did get a grant for 6 thousand.

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 11:07pm

i had to jump back in here to say 

WHOAShocked

does your job pay good? do you think its worth it?

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 11:10pm
i think thats about how much my friends was.. 

did you go to everest soul? or a school like that? 

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 11:17pm
What is the difference btw billing and coding? I heard if you go into coding that can make one a lot of mula. Is anyone on here a coder?

Posted By: 305bgirl
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 11:19pm
OP what type of freelance work do you do and what degree to you already have?

Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 11:24pm
where is PG at? 

i think she has a bachelors in billing and coding.. 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:08am
This school offers Medical Billing in a 3 week 60 hour course for $909

Sorry I can't make the link clickable.

http://www.nymedtraining.com/schedules_weekdays.php

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:13am
what about the externship? 

that seems too short/cheap 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:23am

what about the externship? 

that seems too short/cheap 

Maybe you can give them a call. They are one of the 9 accredited schools in NYC.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 2:14am
Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

This school offers Medical Billing in a 3 week 60 hour course for $909

Sorry I can't make the link clickable.

http://www.nymedtraining.com/schedules_weekdays.php

Shocked

this sounds too good to be trueLOL

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 9:17am
I'm queen side-hustle. It never hurts to become experienced in a field unrelated to your major, it creates more experience and more opportunities for you. This way if you ever become bored with your major or find out that that major wasn't really for you, you have something else as a cushion to fall back on just in case.

My aunt just got her billing/coding cert a few months ago, she works from home started at $25/hr which is pretty decent for where she lives.

I think think the hype is that it's a high demand occupation w/little to no experience required and the starting pay is decent.

I've thought about doing it for some extra money to pay off my debt, just because it's a quick program and ppl are ALWAYS hiring coders.

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 9:23am

Its a pretty lucrative career. 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 9:26am

suga can you hook me up with a good job when i move to new york? 

Girl when are you moving? My hospital clients are all over the place. Pick a state any stateLOLLOLLOL.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 9:27am
Best way to go ..is through an agency.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 9:30am
i see a medical billing and coding 80 hour class at a university in my hometown.. for 1799.. its only like 2.5 months..
its icd-9.. and its saying that after like 6 months of work experience you'd have enough experience to take the exam... i think the longer programs prep you to take the exam right away.. and definitely have externships.. this one is just kinda giving you some knowledge then throwing you out there to fend for yourself.. with no experience. whos gonna get a job after taking a 2.5 month class with no actual real life experience from an externship?

i guess thats how some of the shorter ones and longer ones vary.. i know at my friends school and my school there was definitely a required externship in order to pass then the big test 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 9:31am
oh ok suga i didnt know you was a boss like that... im trying to get like you 

any good jobs in CA?

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Brjasuga51 Brjasuga51 wrote:

Best way to go ..is through an agency.

SugaJR has a good point. Those agencies will have you working at different hospitals and that will give you the experience you need. I don't think a externship is necessary imo but I could be wrong. Working for an agency to gain some experience and learn while getting your foot in the door.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:30am

Guys why don't you get a job at a hospital/medical company for any entry level position then get the company to pay for your course through tuition reimbursement. I know its a hassle but I would rather do that than give Sallie mae another gotdang dime. 

Great suggestion but the problem is actually getting a job.  If I could get a job...any job I wouldn't even be looking at this cert. lol  I do agree with the bolded.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:32am

What is this and how to does it work?

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:35am

My sister suggest this path to me...I hate my sister right nowErmm

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:36am

like.. same thing as an internship. 
with some schools in addition to completing your classroom/lecture hours you have to complete a certain amount of hours at a real place in order to complete the course.. (mines was kaiser.. had to do a 160 hours there.. but it could be anywhere) 
mines wasnt billing/coding but i know my friend who did billing/coding was required to do an externship too.. 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:44am
Originally posted by 305bgirl 305bgirl wrote:

Long story short, I got a degree in graphic design not knowing exactly what I wanted to do when I got out so I just worked for the past 2 years.  Now I actually know what I want to do (illustration) and I'm getting paid jobs.  My family wants me to get big money NOW and don't consider my illustration career a real thing so they are more-or less forcing me to do something else.  Nothing freelance or involving entrepreneurship.  They want me in a 9-5.

Fogey's

This leads me to another question.  Since I have a Bachelor's I'll go ahead and assume that the options in terms of grants are very limited?

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:47am

like.. same thing as an internship. 
with some schools in addition to completing your classroom/lecture hours you have to complete a certain amount of hours at a real place in order to complete the course.. (mines was kaiser.. had to do a 160 hours there.. but it could be anywhere) 
mines wasnt billing/coding but i know my friend who did billing/coding was required to do an externship too.. 

Okay, that's kind of what I figured but didn't want to assume.  Do you know if you get paid or reimbursed in any way?  Is it like some internships were it's similar to a job were you need to apply for?

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:49am
Mang---follow your path even if non traditional. Grind and your money will come

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:53am
no you dont get paid for the externship typically.. its just part of the course work 

i know some schools place you (mines did, and my friends did.. we didnt have to do anything.. although at first they wanted me to go far distance and some little office.. but i wasnt having that.. i worked my butt off and i wanted kaiser.. typically you dont have much of a choice though when youre placed) 

but others say they'll 'provide assistance' but youre kinda just out there on your own trying to find a site that will take you.. 

but i dont think its too challenging to find one.. places love externees cus they dont have to pay them. 
i know a place that just rotates students like clockwork and never hires more ppl although they really need the help. 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:04am
Epitome, yeah I knoooooow but my family, urgh they're like Hitler without the death. Cry

Coconess, what I'm hearing is that they are glad to take externshipee;s but then when it's time for folks to get paid you're kind of screwed because the site's just want to get free labor? 

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:05am
•    Certified Professional Coder (CPC®) – $48,593
•    Certified Professional Coder – Hospital Outpatient (CPC-H®) – $56,284
•    Certified Professional Coder – Payer (CPC-P®) – $57,995
•    Certified Professional Practice Manager (CPPM®) – $59,619
•    Certified Professional Medical Auditor (CPMA®) – $61,115
•    Certified Professional Biller (CPB™) – $61,667

2013 salary results 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:09am
op become a radiation therapist
they make more money 

Quick Facts: Radiation Therapists
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Radiation-therapists.htm#TB_inline?height=325&width=325&inlineId=qf-wage" rel="nofollow - 2012 Median Pay $77,560 per year 
$37.29 per hour
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Radiation-therapists.htm#TB_inline?height=325&width=325&inlineId=qf-education" rel="nofollow - Entry-Level Education Associate’s degree

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:10am
it depends on the site.. 

you dont get paid for simply completing your hours but ive seen ppl get hired right after they were finished because the site liked them and needed someone.. my grandmas doc office had a young guy there doing his.. at the same time i was doing mines.. he got hired right after and still works there like 3 years later.. I saw that they hired another girl after her externship too a while later.. i wanted to go to that hospital for mines but my school didnt have the insurance agreements with them. 

then there are sites like mines who supposedly, 'didnt have the budget for hiring' and i had talked to hella ppl.. like no one got hired straight away there.. its just the way it was. i heard that before going to that site but thats just where i preferred to go. 

a few ppl from my class got hired from their externships... the ppl who didnt.. most are still looking.. (including myself.. but i havent really applied for places aside from kaiser and other big hospitals.. so yea i kinda limit myself.. if i was more hungry i could have probably made it happen) 

but theres more need for billing/coding evidently

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:17am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Mang---follow your path even if non traditional. Grind and your money will come

I agree but I would hope that anyone who follows their path has a back up plan
in 2014 we trying to get this money
even if we gotta hustle like peter
and be an opportunist like todd LOL

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:26am
icdc college got a program 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:41am
i dont think OP should make this her career.. just somethin on the side until she can find her dream job 

radiation and radiology are good jobs to get into too (there are long wait lists here) but it takes 2 years just to finish.. thats too much time unless its your ultimate career goal... imo. 

Posted By: Butta Cookie
Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:44am
My friend went to school for all this got hired at a good company. They let everyone go in 2007 and she was on unemployment plus food stamps until she found a job this December. Here in IL the market is saturated with medical billers, physician assistants, medical assistants and anything else Everest had. She only makes $12 a hour. She doesn't regret spending the money to go to school but does. And now you have to be fluent in Spanish to do alot of jobs in the medical field. Hopefully it works out for you OP.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:48am
Okay, so I am getting more information about this particular cert. program at a community college in the area.  I called the program coordinator for more information but she wasn't there.  Does anyone have questions about this field?  I'll see what information I can get.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:12pm

Okay, so I am getting more information about this particular cert. program at a community college in the area.  I called the program coordinator for more information but she wasn't there.  Does anyone have questions about this field?  I'll see what information I can get.

op radiation therapy make more money
and you can take a short program

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:19pm
I'm glad I saw this thread. I have been wanting to go back to school. I have been considering taking a radiology tech program or medical billing. I think that being able to work from home make me want to give medical billing a shot. HMMM.....

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

I'm glad I saw this thread. I have been wanting to go back to school. I have been considering taking a radiology tech program or medical billing. I think that being able to work from home make me want to give medical billing a shot. HMMM.....

Not trying to dissuade you but if you do go into radiology tech, be very flexible in where you want to work in terms of location.  If you don't have a problem in working in Pigknuckles, MS then you shouldn't have a problem.  Another thing I am reading is that there is a oversaturation of rad techs so my guess is to get as many certs as you can such as ultrasound, X-ray, etc.  There is a whole forum in indeed.com to get some insight.  I am in the rad tech track but initially I was in surg tech track but they make chicken sh*t.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:35pm
^^^Also if you can afford it, try doing both.  Meanwhile I am trying to see if I can get cert in ICD-10 on my own.  But most likely I will have to go to school for it *le sigh*.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:36pm
surgical techs here make decent money.. 

i wanted to do that most just cus i love looking at surgery/cutting things open.. but it took too long 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:41pm

surgical techs here make decent money.. 

i wanted to do that most just cus i love looking at surgery/cutting things open.. but it took too long 

In my state, they tend to make more if they have a nursing degree to back it up.  And the surg tech program takes less than two years, which is a plus.

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

Not trying to dissuade you but if you do go into radiology tech, be very flexible in where you want to work in terms of location.  If you don't have a problem in working in Pigknuckles, MS then you shouldn't have a problem.  Another thing I am reading is that there is a oversaturation of rad techs so my guess is to get as many certs as you can such as ultrasound, X-ray, etc.  There is a whole forum in indeed.com to get some insight.  I am in the rad tech track but initially I was in surg tech track but they make chicken sh*t.

ThanksSmile

Good info

I am definitely not open to relocating right now. I am married with a family so just up and moving isn't really ideal for us. I had no idea that there is an oversaturation of rad techs. Im in the DMV area and I always see wanted ads for techs. I really just wanted a career change that didn't require 4 yrs of schooling and to have a trade under my belt that I could always get work with. 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 1:17pm
About the rad techs, one of my friends went down that road (4 year university though) and she said the same thing about it being over saturated.  I've heard that for years.  She was lucky enough to get a job in our hometown which is more into the medical field but even then it wasn't a cake-walk from my understanding.  She may have other credentials.  I wish I had more details but I haven't seen her is a while.

I did speak to the program coordinator at the college I mentioned above and she was surprisingly honest. 

At that instiution, the medical coding/billing program is not a degree program and therefore you don't get aide for it like you normally would.  It's set up to prep students for 2 certification exams (NHA and CPC).  There are 6 required classes for it which you sign up for whenever you fell like basically so however long it takes you to finish the program ultimately depends on your budget and how long it takes you to get through.

You pay for classes as you take them and excluding textbooks they all cost approx $805. 

They highly recommend that you get an internship but have no process in place for you to do it.  If you get through the classes, and want a job, like some of yall have stated here, you need that experience. 

Now about the exams...the NHA is $105 and all employers are going to want this, some don't.  This one is apparently not that bad.  Most of the employers are going to want the CPC..they say it's not required but it actually is.  This exam is 6 hours long and $600.  The have yet another class other than the required 6 that preps you for this exam.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 1:24pm

They highly recommend that you get an internship but have no process in place for you to do it.  If you get through the classes, and want a job, like some of yall have stated here, you need that experience. 

yea for this reason.. i think the other type schools are better.. 

idk how different clinical medical assisting is cus there are more chances of hurting someone/really messing up.. but with MA.. even if you have to secure your own externship site.. you'll still be covered insurance wise cus most likely the school will have the agreements or whatever with that place.. 

whereas if youre just out on your own.. its really hard to get someone to give you a chance cus if you screw up.. youre not an employee or legit student of theres to be covered in case there are accidents/problems 

i didnt word that very well but you get the point 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 1:45pm
I just took a look at a state university in my area and they have a program that's 2k.  Idk how they are about internships. 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 1:45pm

i dont think OP should make this her career.. just somethin on the side until she can find her dream job 

radiation and radiology are good jobs to get into too (there are long wait lists here) but it takes 2 years just to finish.. thats too much time unless its your ultimate career goal... imo. 

What is the difference between radiation and radiology? Which one makes more money?

Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 1:51pm
I happened to take a look at another college's certification program for this and it's almost 3k when you take into consideration books and supplies.  Just thought that may be helpful.

As far as surgical tech programs, those appear to take around a year to complete since that came up.

Posted By: 305bgirl
Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 2:09pm

Originally posted by 305bgirl 305bgirl wrote:

Long story short, I got a degree in graphic design not knowing exactly what I wanted to do when I got out so I just worked for the past 2 years.  Now I actually know what I want to do (illustration) and I'm getting paid jobs.  My family wants me to get big money NOW and don't consider my illustration career a real thing so they are more-or less forcing me to do something else.  Nothing freelance or involving entrepreneurship.  They want me in a 9-5.

Fogey's

This leads me to another question.  Since I have a Bachelor's I'll go ahead and assume that the options in terms of grants are very limited?
By the time you invest your time and money in a program where most people only make on avg. 30k/yr, you could be marketing your skills/building clientele. There are so many businesses/people that could use your sort of expertise and you could easily come out making more money than a medical coder. The key to freelance work is that you have to really learn how to market yourself and what you do. You can go face-to-face with business owners, show them your portfolio and offer them web-design, logo design, brochure design services, etc. Instagram, Twitter, and FB are good networking tools. People are always looking for people to design invitations(weddings/birthday), illustrations for t-shirts(since everyone under the sun is coming out with clothing lines), and  flyers. You can contact businesses on those sites and maybe even try to present your portfolio to photographers/studios, wedding/event planners, so that maybe you can partner with them. Just don't limit yourself and be willing to work to the point where your family can't say sh*t. Also, make sure that you are very accessible on the web, so that people can find you (website, seo, & social media accounts) and see your work. 

Don't get stuck in a career you don't enjoy. If you put in the right amount of work and commitment, positive results will follow. 

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 2:56pm
I agree with all of this ^^^ 100%. IMO, you need to go to the local SBA.gov office and get help with setting up a tax id & business license and registering a business name, making a business plan and that way you can put something on your resume where it will look like you have been working consistently and do the stuff that 305bgirl listed ASAP. SBA can help you get a microloan and that way, you can buy some of the supplies, etc that you need to work for yourself til you find the job you need.

Dont lose hope. President Obama established a lot of grants for states to offer entrepreneurial programs for people. If you have ever been on unemployment b4, the local office still has our name in the computer and they will probably be able to tell you about grants & free training services for people that want to start a new business as part of their re-employment services. good luckSmile

Date Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 9:41pm

bump
ive been looking into this...most classes ive looked at look like a scam though..

Posted By: marumaruyobi
Date Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 4:21pm

bump
ive been looking into this...most classes ive looked at look like a scam though..

http://www.ambanet.net/amba.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.ambanet.net/amba.htm

http://www.aapc.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.aapc.com/

Posted By: HeyBeautiful18
Date Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 4:38pm
Thank you for this thread

I have been wanting to go back to school for something in the medical field that didn't require a lot of school..

its been two years since i graduated with my associates in general studies. I need to do something with my life

Date Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by marumaruyobi marumaruyobi wrote:

bump

http://www.ambanet.net/amba.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.ambanet.net/amba.htm

http://www.aapc.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.aapc.com/

thank you very much maruma!!!EmbarrassedClap

i wonder if I could do the online courses

Print Page | Close Window