Print Page | Close Window

Nature vs Nurture?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367661
Printed Date: Nov 16 2018 at 8:32pm

Topic: Nature vs Nurture?
Posted By: missunfoolish
Subject: Nature vs Nurture?
Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 3:29am
anyone know about nature vs nurture? the debate on who you are is from
nature = genetics
or
nurture = environment 

i've been racking my brain and i cant find an example for this and write about it. 
trying to find an example that i can relate to.. 

Replies:
Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 3:33am

For example, when a person achieves tremendous academic success, did they do so because they are genetically predisposed to be successful or is it a result of an enriched environment? If a man abuses his wife and kids, is it because he was born with violent tendencies or is it something he learned by observing his own parents behavior?

A few examples of biologically determined characteristics (nature) include certain genetic diseases, eye color, hair color, and skin color. Other things like life expectancy and height have a strong biological component, but they are also influenced by environmental factors and lifestyle.

An example of a nativist theory within psychology is Chomsky's concept of a language acquisition device (or LAD). According to this theory, all children are born with an instinctive mental capacity that allows them to both learn and produce language.

A number of characteristics are tied to environmental influences. How a person behaves can be tied to influence such as parenting styles and learned experiences. For example, a child might learn through observation and reinforcement to say 'please' and 'thank you.' Another child might learn to behave aggressively by observing older children engage in violent behavior on the playground.

Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 3:48am
As far as writing about it i think it would be easiest to pick a side (nature or nurture) and write from that position. Then find things to support your position.

Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 3:56am
thats a good way to start, since i couldnt find something to relate to

i was looking at some articles about twins separated at birth and reuniting having crazy similarities
kind of crazy. i was sure that nurture would be a big part in who you are, but these twins were raised in a different environment, different people to come across
and yet they still were so similar. makes me wonder if you are just predisposed to who you are genetically. 

then again i dont know what type of environment they were raised in, maybe they both had good caring families and that allowed them to do what they wanted?
idk. but still, what are the odds of getting a divorced and remarrying to a girl w the same name lol
then they both named their sons james allan & james alan. Shocked
idk is this a good point that nature played a BIG part?

like have yall ever tried not to be like your parents, and end up being just like them in the end?
genetics crazy 

Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 4:05am
Genetics are markers that are passed down from each parents. gives you your distinct physical features. Isn't that far of a stretch that they also would pass along distinct emotional/behavioral characteristic as well.

Just like you can have a genetic disorder that is passed down to the child, some mental illness can be traced within families, such as depression and the like.

You also have examples of nature vs. nurture within households that have multiple children, and the parent favors one over the other. They're both raised in the same environment, but because of the positive reinforcement & attention, one child strives or excels past the other children.

My personal opinion is that nature & nurture are married. They're not separate, they're contiguous concepts.

Hope what I've said helps! Good luck!

Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 4:08am
Originally posted by missunfoolish missunfoolish wrote:

thats a good way to start, since i couldnt find something to relate to

i was looking at some articles about twins separated at birth and reuniting having crazy similarities
kind of crazy. i was sure that nurture would be a big part in who you are, but these twins were raised in a different environment, different people to come across
and yet they still were so similar. makes me wonder if you are just predisposed to who you are genetically. 

then again i dont know what type of environment they were raised in, maybe they both had good caring families and that allowed them to do what they wanted?
idk. but still, what are the odds of getting a divorced and remarrying to a girl w the same name lol
then they both named their sons james allan & james alan. Shocked
idk is this a good point that nature played a BIG part?

like have yall ever tried not to be like your parents, and end up being just like them in the end?
genetics crazy 

Looks like you're leaning towards nurture being a stronger influence, so write from that position. It will make it easier to write from a place of stronger opinion. LOL

Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 4:30am
how so nurture? cause the lack of environment evidence?

lol but tbh its still eh to me, im not sure how much i can bs off this, thats why i tried finding something interesting that i could relate to but no luck

Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 4:52am
I'm sorry I meant nature...lmao. I'm still half sleep. Because the twins were separated but still had such striking similarities, it looks like your argument is more so leaning towards nature. They were not around each other, nor around their birth parents, but they still managed to have the same likes, dislikes.

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 6:45am
Nature is inclination towards certain behaviors, thoughts, emotions, and skills and etc. Nurturing is forming a certain behavior and all of the other stuff. So really they are both nature since we are teachable and have the ability to process information. The thing about is raising your self awareness to be aware of all your actions so in one they are the same.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 6:59am
One would need a longitudinal study over the course of multiple generations controlling subjects from grandparents to your actual study subjects two generations later. Controlling their society, environment, diet education eliminating inequity etc etc

I think humans are an amalgam of both and more often than not, our reactions to society and how we perceive it and participate in it is by large part a result of nurture which affects out natural scholastic abilities

But it's a broad question and maybe better answered by asking a specific question. However when you look at civilisations in the past, there has always been a strong presence of group think and acceptable group behaviour.

Don't know if that makes any sense

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 7:03am
Group thinkers are disgusting and afro hit on the head

Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 8:59am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

One would need a longitudinal study over the course of multiple generations controlling subjects from grandparents to your actual study subjects two generations later. Controlling their society, environment, diet education eliminating inequity etc etc

I think humans are an amalgam of both and more often than not, our reactions to society and how we perceive it and participate in it is by large part a result of nurture which affects out natural scholastic abilities

But it's a broad question and maybe better answered by asking a specific question. However when you look at civilisations in the past, there has always been a strong presence of group think and acceptable group behaviour.

Don't know if that makes any sense
Confused now Afro, Unfoolish was already confused about the topic, a synopsis on longitundinal studies tho? LOL
I believe if I'm not mistaken that had been done (the study) with the twins separated from birth, they were followed & similarities were quantified.

I personally would write the paper from a stance that both nature and nurture are so closely intertwined that it is nearly impossible to isolate either.

But I believe after reading what Unfoolish wrote she was leaning towards nature being the stronger influence.

Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 2:19pm
LOL word ^

imo, i do believe nurture has more of an influence but you'll always have some of your parents in you.
but in the situation of the twins, i see more nature.

why cant i make this sh*t relatable for me

ima brainstorm again this shouldnt rly be hard

Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 3:42pm
You're making it harder than it needs to be. LOL. Pick a side & go!! tbh I find that the Professor really doesn't care what your argument is as long as you can support it. So your best bet is to pick whatever side & find info to support that side. I wrote a paper on this a while ago, but of course I can't locate it to help you.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 3:54pm
You can use google scholar and google 'twin studies'. You should be able to reference it in your paper.Big smile

Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 3:57pm
lol i know, first wk back to school and i cant think

would me being less girly than my mom be an example of nature vs nurture?

i naturally have estrogen whatever but i tend to like things boys like, but i do love to do my makeup and hair, but id never wear a dress or skirt, but i love seeing others wear it
my mom is the most girly of people but im just not like her

growing up my mom bought us toys that were us, id get barbie and my brother would get power rangers or something

my friends did play games, and they had older brothers too. 

my dad wasnt around, and i was raised more so by my grandmother & mom
so why am i not more in touch with my 'girly' sides... 

no idea where im going with this, lol
good example OR NAH? LOL

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

"For example, when a person achieves tremendous academic success, did they do so because they are genetically predisposed to be successful or is it a result of an enriched environment? If a man abuses his wife and kids, is it because he was born with violent tendencies or is it something he learned by observing his own parents behavior?

A few examples of biologically determined characteristics (nature) include certain genetic diseases, eye color, hair color, and skin color. Other things like life expectancy and height have a strong biological component, but they are also influenced by environmental factors and lifestyle.

An example of a nativist theory within psychology is Chomsky's concept of a language acquisition device (or LAD). According to this theory, all children are born with an instinctive mental capacity that allows them to both learn and produce language.

A number of characteristics are tied to environmental influences. How a person behaves can be tied to influence such as parenting styles and learned experiences. For example, a child might learn through observation and reinforcement to say 'please' and 'thank you.' Another child might learn to behave aggressively by observing older children engage in violent behavior on the playground."

Wink

Print Page | Close Window