Print Page | Close Window

African origins of the diaspora

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367619
Printed Date: Nov 22 2017 at 5:06pm

Topic: African origins of the diaspora
Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Subject: African origins of the diaspora
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:09pm
I just discovered a funny little tidbit about an African ethnic group that was enslaved in Haiti called the Susu (from Guinea and Sierra Leone
and this gave me the idea for this thread. I thought people from the U.S. and the Caribbean might want to list what they know about their African ancestors.

I'll start with the U.S., only because this site is U.S. based. It would be interesting if folks could give specific info about the ethnic groups within these countries

AFRICAN ORIGINS OF AFRICAN-AMERICANS

90 percent came from Senegambia (Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Mali), the Upper Guinea Coast (Sierra Leone, Guinea), the Gold Coast (Ghana), the Bight of Biafra (eastern Nigeria, Cameroon), and west-central Africa (Angola, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon). Almost half of the arriving Africans came from two areas — Senegambia and west central Africa.

Replies:
Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:10pm
No can do.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:11pm
AFRICAN ORIGINS OF HAITIANS
Amongst others (I know there are more)

Central Africa (Kongo)
Benin (Ewe, Yoruba)
Nigeria (Igbo)
Ghana ( I think it's Yoruba)
Senegal,
Sierra Leone, Guinee (Susu)
South Africa
Madagascar

A somewhat funny tidbit about the Susu. They were often domestic workers in Haiti (basically house negroes, lol).
They were hated by people involved in the slave revolt because they tended to side with their white masters and would be snitches. The whites preferred them because they were known as phenomenal cooks.
To this day, a person is called "sousou" in creole if they are deemed to be the kind to kiss ass, basically a coon. No insult to the sousous of Guinea, most Haitians don't even know the origins of this. I just found out 10 minutes ago.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

No can do.

Why not? It's historical knowledge

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I just discovered a funny little tidbit about an African ethnic group that was enslaved in Haiti called the Susu (from Guinea and Sierra Leone
and this gave me the idea for this thread. I thought people from the U.S. and the Caribbean might want to list what they know about their African ancestors.

I'll start with the U.S., only because this site is U.S. based. It would be interesting if folks could give specific info about the ethnic groups within these countries

90 percent came from Senegambia (Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Mali), the Upper Guinea Coast (Sierra Leone, Guinea), the Gold Coast (Ghana), the Bight of Biafra (eastern Nigeria, Cameroon), and west-central Africa (Angola, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon). Almost half of the arriving Africans came from two areas — Senegambia and west central Africa.

NO they would not, I have read on this site countless of times that people know that their Ancestors are from Africa they just don't care to find out what country.

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:15pm
DNA testing would be more accurate and especially the data base is getting wider and wider.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

DNA testing would be more accurate and especially the data base is getting wider and wider.

In the absence of DNA testing, it would be interesting to list what we know. I'm researching mostly Haiti, so I have more specific info on Haiti, but other countries might have more specific info on their own.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

I

NO they would not, I have read on this site countless of times that people know that their Ancestors are from Africa they just don't care to find out what country.

Well, that's a shame because there are so many interesting tidbits to discover...

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:21pm
I can't even tell you about my daddy, let alone some folks that have been dead for hundreds of years.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:22pm
Most black Americans disassociated with the continent and now are European.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:23pm
Anybody else? I know there are plenty of posters from the Caribbean, latin America...

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I can't even tell you about my daddy, let alone some folks that have been dead for hundreds of years.

I can't tell you about my bloodline either. The idea is to gather on here whatever you may have learned from books or the internet about the African origins of the people in your culture. Aren't you the least bit curious? Where are you from? Or your parents?

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:27pm

No can do.

Closed mind can't be fed

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by trudawg trudawg wrote:

No can do.

Closed mind can't be fed

It would seem so    . Such a shame. Anyway, I'll keep listing what I find about different countries. *Sigh* Not in the mood for Kimye threads right now...

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:30pm

Most black Americans disassociated with the continent and now are European.

FYI, this doesn't apply to black americans alone. Most west-Indians have somewhat dissociated themselves from the continent as well after some 400 years. The point is to get a sense of where your ancestors came from, country by country.
I'm still interested in knowing where the blacks from the U.S., Brazil, Jamaica or Mexico come from. But that's just me. I like knowledge.
It would also help to see what we all have in common instead of what divides us.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:35pm
AFRICAN ORIGINS OF JAMAICANS

Enslaved Africans mostly came from the Akan, Bantu, Igbo, Fon along with the Yoruba, Efik and "Moko" people

Bight of Benin (Yoruba, Ewe, Fon, Allada and Mahi) 11.2%
Bight of Biafra (Igbo, Ibibio) 28.9 %
Gold Coast (Akan, Fon) 34.5 %
Senegambia (Mandinka, Fula, Wolof) 1.8 %
Sierra Leone (Mende, Temne) 3.5 %
Southeast Africa (Macua, Malagasy) 0.1 %
West-central Africa (Kongo, Mbundu) 14.5 %
Windward Coast (Mandé, Kru) 5.2%

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:36pm

I can't tell you about my bloodline either. The idea is to gather on here whatever you may have learned from books or the internet about the African origins of the people in your culture. Aren't you the least bit curious? Where are you from? Or your parents?

Not really curious, since the answer is pretty clear. I'm a negro descended from slaves who were I'm sure mixed with all sorts of things.

I guess origins just really don't mean much to me.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:39pm

Not really curious, since the answer is pretty clear. I'm a negro descended from slaves who were I'm sure mixed with all sorts of things.

I guess origins just really don't mean much to me.

The whole point of the exercise for me was to figure out what ethnicities are on BHM and if I can learn from them regarding my ancestors. But I guess some people just don't give a fucc.

Anyways, Any Igbos, Yorubas or Susus in here? If so, let me know.

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:41pm
Lucumi: The ethnic group of the greatest cultural dominance in Cuba is by the ethnic name Lucumí or Yoruba from west of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niger_River" rel="nofollow - .
Congo: Bantu Africans called Congos in Cuba were originated from the Bantu area extending from the mouth of the Congo River.
CARABALÍ: Slaves of the Carabali ethnic group were imported from the eastern part of the Niger from the old Calabar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arar%C3%A1" rel="nofollow - :
Slaves of the Arará ethnic group were imported from the center and south of Benin(formerly Dahomey).

GANGÁ

Slaves of the Mandé ethnic group (in Cuba Mandingo and Gangá) were imported from area what is today the Republics of http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Leone" rel="nofollow - - Slaves of the Ashanti (in Cuba Mina) ethnic group were imported from the former Gold Coast (now http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghana" rel="nofollow - ).

MACUÁ
Macuá ethnic group is the only indication of eastern Africa in Cuba. Slaves of the Macuá ethnic group were imported from the northern part of the Zambezi River, in the present Republic of Mozambique.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

>

fascinating! Thank you! I already recognize a few tribes from what you posted!

Every country posted so far seems to have in common Kongo and Sierra Leone and Benin, from what I can see at a glance

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:46pm
I really think my ancestors were Lucumi just because of the traditions that have been passed down.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:50pm

No can do.

Closed mind can't be fed

Man look.
I don't know anything about African history other than Egypt.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:50pm

I really think my ancestors were Lucumi just because of the traditions that have been passed down.

Do you have any idea in which modern day African country the Lucumi lived? I'm gonna research it but just in case...

P.S: It seems that the word Lucumi is specific to afro-Cubans, rather than an African ethnic group. I think the ethnic group would be Yoruba, which would mean places like modern-day Benin and Nigeria, for instance

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:53pm
Thought you may find this interesting JP!
Cabildos de nación
were http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African" rel="nofollow - - Cuba .Cabildos were institutions that made possible the conservation of the idiosyncrasy, religion and culture of the African nations in Cuba. The songs, dances, and drum rhythms that were played for African deities in a land that was so hostile to the Africans slaves were the mechanism by which slaves were able to keep alive their Africanness and resist Spanish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_hegemony" rel="nofollow -
Name of CabildoAfrican region of originEthnic group of origin
Abakuá http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:57pm
¨^^^ I love it! And I was right about the Lucumi, from the chart you posted. I'm sure there's a lot of Yorubas on this board, considering the number of Nigerian posters.
I'm researching this stuff in my spare time. It seems like it's the same countries that come up over and over all over the black diaspora. I'm trying to figure out if it's the same ethnic groups as well or if they're more diversified depending on who the colonizers were.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:59pm

No can do.

Closed mind can't be fed

Man look.
I don't know anything about African history other than Egypt.

It's highly unlikely that any of your ancestors came from Egypt, though. Lack of intellectual curiosity...

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:01pm

Do you have any idea in which modern day African country the Lucumi lived? I'm gonna research it but just in case...

P.S: It seems that the word Lucumi is specific to afro-Cubans, rather than an African ethnic group. I think the ethnic group would be Yoruba, which would mean places like modern-day Benin and Nigeria, for instance

Exactly  ! I should've been more clear(. From my research most likely Southerwestern Nigeria.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:04pm

It's highly unlikely that any of your ancestors came from Egypt, though. Lack of intellectual curiosity...

No sh*t my ancestors didn't come from Egypt.
I have no idea where they came from.
And that's not my fault.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:04pm

¨^^^ I love it! And I was right about the Lucumi, from the chart you posted. I'm sure there's a lot of Yorubas on this board, considering the number of Nigerian posters.
I'm researching this stuff in my spare time. It seems like it's the same countries that come up over and over all over the black diaspora. I'm trying to figure out if it's the same ethnic groups as well or if they're more diversified depending on who the colonizers were.

If youtube a Lucumi ceremoney and a Yoruban Nigerian one it looks like one in the same.

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:06pm
I had a DNA test done.  Recently, ancestrydna.com has done a much better job about being specific in terms of origin, but as for my African ancestors, I would at least like to get a further breakdown as to the ethnic group I belong to.

The actual results surprised me because I was expecting almost exclusively Mali/Ghana origins.  The breakdown was actually as follows:

Cameroon/ Congo  22%
Mali                         17%
Nigeria                    14%
Ivory Coast/Ghana 14%

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:07pm

No sh*t my ancestors didn't come from Egypt.
I have no idea where they came from.
And that's not my fault.

None of us would have any idea where our ancestors come from, unless you read and search the internet. That's lazy.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

I had a DNA test done.  Recently, ancestrydna.com has done a much better job about being specific in terms of origin, but as for my African ancestors, I would at least like to get a further breakdown as to the ethnic group I belong to.

The actual results surprised me because I was expecting almost exclusively Mali/Ghana origins.  The breakdown was actually as follows:

Cameroon/ Congo  22%
Mali                         17%
Nigeria                    14%
Ivory Coast/Ghana 14%

That's interesting. I'm gonna research which ethnic groups came from Mali and Ghana to the U.S. and that should narrow it down.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:11pm
I want to get the DNA test done. I might do it for my birthday this year.

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:14pm

my parents got it done. From what i understand, women will need their father or brother's done as well for a complete analysis

Not so much anymore.  There are a couple of tests out now where paternal DNA is no longer necessary.  I'm still going to have my parents tested, though.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:15pm

my parents got it done. From what i understand, women will need their father or brother's done as well for a complete analysis

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:15pm

What where your parents results?

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

Not so much anymore.  There are a couple of tests out now where paternal DNA is no longer necessary.  I'm still going to have my parents tested, though.

I wanna get tested but I need to verify if these services are available to Canadian citizens. The last time I checked, you had to live in the U.S. to apply...

I'm thinking the results would be just as good since their database are the regions where the transatlantic slave trade took place...

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:19pm

Mali/Ghana

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:29pm

Mali/Ghana

I have yet to find stuff on Ghana but I remember reading somewhere that the slaves from Mali were amongst the first ever taken, at the beginning of the slave trade, and that after a while, there weren't anymore slaves from there. They were mostly followers of Islam.

So your Mali ancestry is probably amongst the very first slaves that came to the U.S!

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:29pm
Thanks for the info....I want a complete analysis so i'll definitely get my parents tested.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:31pm

Thanks for the info....I want a complete analysis so i'll definitely get my parents tested.

Let me know when you do. I'm disappointed that this thread didn't take off. I was also hoping for African posters to chime in with what they know

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:36pm
A lot of these folks on here are young, and have no desire to explore anything beyond what's in the mainstream media. Don't take it personal ;=)

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:38pm
I read somewhere that it's not all that accurate to assume certain ethnic groups went to certain countries. They had holding prisons at each port, they mixed there. Each port went to different destinations. So you can have people from each region in the OP, the mix that a single individual winds up being is random.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:38pm

None of us would have any idea where our ancestors come from, unless you read and search the internet. That's lazy.

You mean I coulda saved that 100 I spent to get my DNA looked at? Cry
Learning about Africa in general =/= knowing where I come from.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:45pm

You mean I coulda saved that 100 I spent to get my DNA looked at? Cry
Learning about Africa in general =/= knowing where I come from.

Why didn't you say you had your DNA analysed? What were the results?
And this is not about Africa in general, just the coastal part that was affected by the slave trade. Trying to see which ethnic groups went where. But I guess most people don't care about that kind of thing.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:46pm
Drop your results Sang ????

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:49pm
[QUOTE=melikey] I read somewhere that it's not all that accurate to assume certain ethnic groups went to certain countries. They had holding prisons at each port, they mixed there. Each port went to different destinations. So you can have people from each region in the OP, the mix that a single individual winds up being is random.[/

Sure, there have been mixings before boarding the ships between some of the populations. But if you know who was the colonizer, where they went to get slaves and what specific country you want to explore, you can get a lot of info on who ended up where regardless.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 6:09pm
45 different ethnic groups were brought to the Americas. Here are the ten most prominent

The different ethnic groups brought to the Americas closely corresponds to the regions of heaviest activity in the slave trade. Over 45 distinct ethnic groups were taken to the Americas during the trade. Of the 45, the ten most prominent according to slave documentation of the era are listed below.

1.The Gbe speakers of Togo, Ghana and Benin (Adja, Mina, Ewe, Fon)
2.The Mbundu of Angola (includes Ovimbundu)
3.The BaKongo of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Angola
4.The Igbo of Nigeria
5.The Yoruba of Nigeria
6.The Akan of Ghana and Cote d'Ivoire
7.The Mandé speakers of Upper Guinea
8.The Wolof of Senegal
9.The Chamba of Nigeria
10.The Makua of Mozambique

Posted By: Ivy_Grad
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 6:12pm
Omg I just typed a pseudo essay only to have my computer act up and refresh the page before I could hit submit.

Anywho I am soo happy you posted this topic!  I have been meaning to do some more investigation on this.  My mother's family is from Virginia, which has been known to keep pretty impeccable records from that era.  My father's family is from North Carolina.  I view both states as essentially the same region LOL.

I have yet to do the DNA testing.  I remember traveling to Accra, Ghana for a wintersession program when I was in college.  I met this woman who I swore looked exactly like my maternal grandmother, I was soo drawn to her.  She was kind enough and gave me a hug when I told her I was from the states and she reminded me of my grandmother, probably thought I was as looney as a bedbug lol.  I have also met many persons from Nigeria who could pass for cousins of mine. 

In my cursory search I came across a website which looked at various regions of origin of African slaves that were imported into the state of Virginia.  In the Rappahanock region where my family is from, it looks like the majority of slaves came from the Senegambia region, where they most likely worked on tobacco plantations. 

http://research.history.org/historical_research/research_themes/themeenslave/slavetrade.cfm

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 6:15pm
About the Igbos

Ethnic groups were fairly saturated in certain parts of the Americas because of planters preferences in certain African peoples.[7] The Igbo where dispersed to colonies such as Jamaica,[8] Cuba,[8] Hispaniola,[8] Barbados,[9] United States,[10] Belize,[11] Trinidad and Tobago[12] among others. Elements of Igbo culture can still be found in these places. In the United States the Igbo were found common in the state of Maryland and Virginia.[13]

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Ivy_Grad Ivy_Grad wrote:

Omg I just typed a pseudo essay only to have my computer act up and refresh the page before I could hit submit.

Anywho
I am soo happy you posted this topic!  I have been meaning to do some
more investigation on this.  My mother's family is from Virginia, which
has been known to keep pretty impeccable records from that era.  My father's family is from North Carolina.  I view both states as essentially the same region LOL.

I
have yet to do the DNA testing.  I remember traveling to Accra, Ghana
for a wintersession program when I was in college.  I met this woman who
I swore looked exactly like my maternal grandmother, I was soo drawn to
her.  She was kind enough and gave me a hug when I told her I was from
the states and she reminded me of my grandmother, probably thought I was
as looney as a bedbug lol.  I have also met many persons from Nigeria
who could pass for cousins of mine. 

In my cursory search I
came across a website which looked at various regions of origin of
African slaves that were imported into the state of Virginia.  In the
Rappahanock region where my family is from, it looks like the majority
of slaves came from the Senegambia region, where they most likely worked
on tobacco plantations. 

http://research.history.org/historical_research/research_themes/themeenslave/slavetrade.cfm

LOl, I started this thread because just the other day, some dude followed me in a store and asked me if I was from Sierra Leone. I get that all the time with different nationalities.
You're lucky to come from an area with such impeccable records.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 6:39pm
Ancestry.com rip me off a few years back after my parents died . I only know my great grandmother was born due to Rape by a Indian slave owners . I plan to research more for my little girl . One of my olders sisters found a picture of our great grandfather on a different site . The man on the right . We joke about wearing Indian virgin weaves . I was really shock . I knew my parents pick cotton on white folk plantations , Great aunt rape , and my grandfather was hung . I post a picture of the hanging on bhm a few years back . I need a tech to help me recover important pictures on my old computers .  

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 6:52pm

^^They didn't tell you a damn thing about your African ancestry? Wow, they really ripped you off. But at least you found out some things about your relatives in the States itself, however unpleasant. I can't find any info on my relatives in Haiti. I also need to research my side from Guadeloupe.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:03pm
Jolie i lost a few Hundred dollars ^^^^ My older sister found the picture on a search site . I plan to find out everything possible about my family roots to share with my baby one day . Who knows , i may have haitian roots also . I will send you a PM after i speak with my sister . The site she found the picture on seems like accurate info . Maybe they can help you . Good topic .

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:09pm
India ... I've been researching my family roots but stopped earlier this year. I was just finding a whole bunch of yt French people on my dad side, my mom side is more complicated her Dad was in trouble in Haiti and fled to Cuba then changed his last name and nobody knows nada about nada. I just gave up for the moment.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:13pm

India ... I've been researching my family roots but stopped earlier this year. I was just finding a whole bunch of yt French people on my dad side, my mom side is more complicated her Dad was in trouble in Haiti and fled to Cuba then changed his last name and nobody knows nada about nada. I just gave up for the moment.
I understand your frustration . I left a voicemail for my sister . I will send you a PM with the name of the site she found also .

Posted By: juniper angel
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:31pm
Does anybody know where the slaves in haiti came from I found the info but lost it.

Posted By: Oladunni
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:58pm
idk how i feel about this African dna testing ... but after watching this video a while back... i kinda don't believe them..

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by juniper angel juniper angel wrote:

Does anybody know where the slaves in haiti came from I found the info but lost it.

I posted this already. See below.

AFRICAN ORIGINS OF HAITIANS
Amongst others (I know there are more)

Central Africa (Kongo)
Benin (Ewe, Yoruba)
Nigeria (Igbo)
Ghana ( I think it's Yoruba)
Senegal,
Sierra Leone, Guinee (Susu)
South Africa
Madagascar

A somewhat funny tidbit about the Susu. They were often domestic workers in Haiti (basically house negroes, lol).
They were hated by people involved in the slave revolt because they tended to side with their white masters and would be snitches. The whites preferred them because they were known as phenomenal cooks.
To this day, a person is called "sousou" in creole if they are deemed to be the kind to kiss ass, basically a coon. No insult to the sousous of Guinea, most Haitians don't even know the origins of this. I just found out 10 minutes ago.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Oladunni Oladunni wrote:

idk how i feel about this African dna testing ... but after watching this video a while back... i kinda don't believe them..

DNA testing only provides a fraction of the story, I'm sure. But it still gives you clues. The thing is, if for ex, slaves from a specific country come from 20 different ethnic groups, these groups have most likely intermixed during their captivity (or even prior to their captivity). I'm thinking that if a dna test tends to identify Senegambia, it means that you've had some people that came from Senegambia but that does not exclude other groups because it doesn't reveal every single group in your family tree. I still think the best way to get the most accurate picture is through slave records, personally. The Brits, the Spanish, the Portuguese and the French kept records of their travels. Depending on where you ended up, you have more chance of getting extensive info if you research it.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:30pm

Lol, I get the frustration as well. I have yet to research my side from Guadeloupe because it doesn't take much to figure out that I had some French ancestors that I won't be necessarily overjoyed to know about. I already know vaguely of at least once on my Haitian side. I guess that's why I'd rather focus on my African ancestry for now

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:33pm
nvm

Posted By: PurrPoZe
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:53pm
Anyone do the 23andme DNA kit? The FDA has put restrictions on their analysis but I got the free kit (I think someone posted it on here) before the restrictions...but anyway my ancestry overview is

Haplogroup: L3d, a subgroup of L3
Region: Northern, Eastern, Southern Africa
Example Populations: Bantu-speakers, African Americans
Highlight: L3d has spread throughout Africa during the past few thousand years.

Background:
Introduction
Haplogroup L3 has played a pivotal role in the history of the human species. Soon after the haplogroup arose in eastern Africa about 60,000 years ago a relatively small number of migrants carried it across the Red Sea to Arabia, inaugurating an intercontinental migration that eventually settled every major land mass on Earth except Antarctica. That small group also gave rise to every non-African haplogroup.

L3 has also been mobile within Africa, spreading south with migrations of Bantu-speaking populations over the past few thousand years. The Atlantic slave trade carried it to the Americas as well; various branches of L3 are found today among more than 25% of the African American population.

Haplogroup L3d
L3d appears to have originated in western Africa about 30,000 years ago. Like many haplogroups found in that part of Africa, it spread widely with the migrations of Bantu-speaking people that began about 4,000 years ago. L3d is now found at levels of 27% among the Bantu-speaking Sukuma of Tanzania, and at 10% in Mozambique. Due to the importance of western Africa in the Atlantic slave trade, it is also found among African Americans.

It says my DNA group today is largely found in the UK and Haiti.

I think to buy the kit it's like 99 dollars but I swear it's the coolest thing ever...and if more people join and contribute it could be even better. I will say I hate that most of the medical analysis are from data of Europeans. I don't think I've seen medical data from black people

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 11:17pm
The interesting thing is the English were EXCELLENT record keepersDead Ive seen the info from ship manifestos and ports but I don't recall where. Unlike in the USA much of Jamaica's history is not found online *sigh* and often when I do a quick google search I find info but through someone else's eyes and im skeptical a bit

In the Karrin thread I offered what I could recall. Akan or the Coromanti, Mandingo, Igbo, Yoruba forgetting a few. Once I saw a documentary abt the African language _______ being retained amongs the Maroons of Jamaica. I always marvel at the fact that the linguistic stylings and words of the Aficans still remainSmile

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 11:55pm

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 12:57am
A few years ago I saw several sculptures/busts from Benin that I thought looked like what my family would look like without the white and native mixing. I'd like to get the DNA testing done, but it probably wont be anytime soon as I dont have $200 to devote to just that. I'm actually content with just knowing, celebrating and practicing black american cultural customs, however I think it'd be interesting to find out how much of AA culture is influenced by African cultures, and which African cultures. 

Also:
JP, you'd have better results with your threads if you worded them better. 

The way you worded this OP made it seem like you wanted posters to speak on the ethnic groups they dont even know that they're a part of, rather than discuss the various ethnic groups of the regions our ancestors might have come from. It has more of a "which ones of these are you a part of?" tone than anything else, hence the responses you're getting. 

Posted By: csungrl09
Date Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 3:44pm
everyone says my aunt look senegalese so maybe that where my mom's side originated. I'm west indian by the way.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 4:07pm
You know what sucks, my brother looks West African and gets mistaken for Nigerian alot. I have no distinctive features that would connect me to any African country.

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 2:29pm
im sure you are just unaware- but the whole DNA ancestory thing is a hoax... the results are less than 1% so how can anyone claim for sure what tribe they are from thru this type of tesittng alone

Posted By: hautsdeseine
Date Posted: Jan 19 2014 at 3:14am
I wouldnt beleive the DNA test because in 400 years there have been a lot of mixture so, you can come from all the groups

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jan 19 2014 at 3:56am
I dont even want to do DNA testing because I don't want to see any EXTRA white that I don't know about.

Sang is 33.5% Irish

I'm gonna pick Kenyan because their parents embrace me a lot more than Nigerian parents. Also anything with Guinea in the title because guinea pigs are cute (yes.. I know this is "sad")

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Jan 19 2014 at 9:02am
I think this is a nice exercise but ... I think the problem is that afer 15+ generations and almost 400 years of us living in America ... we are all mixed with so many African/European/Indian (American) groups ... that it's hardly worth the time to try to figure out where we are REALLY from.

I had the DNA test done too .. but I didn't have any male family member DNA so they could only show my material side. Basically different little countries in Africa ... which I already knew anyway.I do have a condition that my doctors says affect people of middle eastern ancestory... and yes, for sure I have a White grandmother ... but ummm not so interested any more. I think it's like trying to source my REAL last name ... it's never gonna happen.

I have visited all over Africa and absolutely no one thinks I am from THEIR country unless they are just trying to say something nice because they know AA are .. 'lost'.When I have visited the African countries where my b;ood line lies .. I don't feel 'connected' to the people or the culture at all. If just feels like I had a nice tourist trip .. but I may as well be visiting Tibet again ... if it's about feeling 'connected'.

I don't think this should held against AA and yet ANOTHER thing that AA are supposed to be feeling. Geesh.

It is what it is...

I think 99% of AAs visiting Africa would have the exact same experience. Maybe some small trait may show up but overall and bottom line is that ..... way too much time has passed and we are too mixed for this information to be really sourced ...and for it to make any difference. :(

Posted By: Senior Detective
Date Posted: Jan 20 2014 at 10:01am
http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php?t=577751

^this thread talks about blacks owning whites as slaves in Africa^^  its a looooong thread. if ur curious & have the patience, go for it.

their african diaspora forum http://www.lipstickalley.com/forumdisplay.php?f=328

their african forum http://www.lipstickalley.com/forumdisplay.php?f=374

their black history forum   http://www.lipstickalley.com/forumdisplay.php?f=445

idc who's mad or jealous of LSA, there is a lot of good info in the links provided.   I posted for those that want to learn

hmphhh!!

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 10:10am

This is the same youtube channel that promotes the theory that the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade never happened and how Black Americans are not descendants of Africans Dead

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Jan 25 2014 at 11:49pm
My Aunt just got her DNA tested and found out she's...

69% West African (Ghana, Nigeria)
24% European (British, French)
6% Polynesian (what the hell!???)
1% Native

In her case, Gates was right Ermm

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:03am

In the region that my parents are from, a large amount of the enslaved people were of Angolan origin.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:13am

Oh i didn't know you had Haitian ancestry.
I believe Nigeria because I look like one of my Nigerian friends a lot.

I'd love to do this one day. I've been talking to my soon to be 91 year old gran a bit about her family and their names and the like. I got my dad talking about why he fled Haiti too a couple months ago.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:19am
Originally posted by hautsdeseine hautsdeseine wrote:

I wouldnt beleive the DNA test because in 400 years there have been a lot of mixture so, you can come from all the groups

Exactly. The old saying that 'America is a Melting Pot' is most applicable to Black Americans because the TransAtlantic Slave Trade had so many stops and so many routes that for one single person, one wave of ancestors could have been from West Africa, one set years later could have been from W.A. by way of the Caribbean, one wave could have been from W.A. by way of Mexico as shown on the documentary series Black in America....then the plantation may have moved from example: Virginia to South Carolina or somewhere where there is an entirely different port of origin for the slave ships...then slaves being traded and sold, passed on to heirs and sent off to never be seen again...any person's family tree is soooo complexly intertwined with other West African descendants and other people from all over the world, that the mesh will not be read in a DNA kit...the kit is reading very small samples of data in your complex mesh. Keep the money. Go do a complex family tree and look up documents on who came from where and what slave routes were in your area.  I would never buy a kit.

I know that in recent times (since the 1700s) my African roots are West African, likely partially Angolan and some on my Dad's paternal side were African by way of the Caribbean (no data on which specific islands, but verbal history) and that when I was in Senegal and The Gambia, my mom blended right in and could not be detected as a foreigner in a crowd and both of my grandfathers had facial features of people that I saw in the SeneGambia region. My dad's paternal side especially.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Ivy_Grad Ivy_Grad wrote:

Thank you for sharing the link. My family is from NC, but some of my great-grandmother's history is based in VA.  I do a lot of research on the fluid ties btwn NC & VA families of our enslaved ancestors, families that were free landowners b4 the Civil War and also their ties with the colonists as well as the links to Melungeon populations.

I have a lot of info bookmarked on my computer, bt here is a resource for people with roots in North Carolina. Many many books & links that you can get great data from to check fr famiy names, records, land ownership, etc: http://www.encphillips.com/wiki/North_Carolina_Minorities" rel="nofollow - http://www.encphillips.com/wiki/North_Carolina_Minorities

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 1:25am
From another of my bookmarked links:
http://www.encphillips.com/wiki/Robeson_County,_North_Carolina" rel="nofollow - http://www.encphillips.com/wiki/Robeson_County,_North_Carolina

This is where my maternal family is from. This passage pretty much shows how a person's ancestry can be very hard to unweave b/c of the way that descendants of the enslaved people moved fluidly from region to region. Keep in mind that the 1790-1810 census that the passage refers to was during a time frame before the Emancipation Proclamation:

Robeson County, North Carolina: By the mid-eighteenth century, migrants entered the frontier area from Virginia. In the 1790-1810 censuses, descendants of these families were classified as both white (European American) and http://www.encphillips.com/w/index.php?title=Free_people_of_color&action=edit&redlink=1" rel="nofollow - free people of color , which could include people of full and partial African and Native American descent, as well as combinations of the three. They held few http://www.encphillips.com/w/index.php?title=Slaves&action=edit&redlink=1" rel="nofollow - slaves . Late 20th-century researchers have traced 80 percent of the http://www.encphillips.com/w/index.php?title=Free_people_of_color&action=edit&redlink=1" rel="nofollow - free people of color in North Carolina listed in those early censuses to African Americans free in Virginia in colonial times. The families were mostly descended from white women (which is what gave them free status so early) and men who were http://www.encphillips.com/w/index.php?title=African&action=edit&redlink=1" rel="nofollow - African or http://www.encphillips.com/w/index.php?title=African_American&action=edit&redlink=1" rel="nofollow - African American . In addition, some African male slaves had been freed in Virginia as early as the mid-17th century. They founded free families of several generations before migrating to other areas. In the early years of the southern colonies, working-class whites and Africans lived and worked closely together, marrying and forming unions. Many free people of color migrated to frontier areas to gain relief from the racial strictures of the coastal areas.

Posted By: Oladunni
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

This is the same youtube channel that promotes the theory that the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade never happened and how Black Americans are not descendants of Africans Dead

LOL lol I know.. you can see that from the title of the video.. but they aren't affiliated with 60mins/cbs
A couple of people of yt have those crazy opinions smh..
blaqfoxx had a thread stating that afro-latinas/americans aren't African....

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 9:32am
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

Originally posted by hautsdeseine hautsdeseine wrote:

Exactly. The old saying that 'America is a Melting Pot' is most applicable to Black Americans because the TransAtlantic Slave Trade had so many stops and so many routes that for one single person, one wave of ancestors could have been from West Africa, one set years later could have been from W.A. by way of the Caribbean, one wave could have been from W.A. by way of Mexico as shown on the documentary series Black in America....then the plantation may have moved from example: Virginia to South Carolina or somewhere where there is an entirely different port of origin for the slave ships...then slaves being traded and sold, passed on to heirs and sent off to never be seen again...any person's family tree is soooo complexly intertwined with other West African descendants and other people from all over the world, that the mesh will not be read in a DNA kit...the kit is reading very small samples of data in your complex mesh. Keep the money. Go do a complex family tree and look up documents on who came from where and what slave routes were in your area.  I would never buy a kit.

I know that in recent times (since the 1700s) my African roots are West African, likely partially Angolan and some on my Dad's paternal side were African by way of the Caribbean (no data on which specific islands, but verbal history) and that when I was in Senegal and The Gambia, my mom blended right in and could not be detected as a foreigner in a crowd and both of my grandfathers had facial features of people that I saw in the SeneGambia region. My dad's paternal side especially.

That's true and that's why a legit DNA test will give u your maternal/paternal(if ur male) haplogroups and your autosomal DNA and leave it at that. And even with that it's really estimation/guesstimation to a certain extent. Tests that tell u that u came from the *insert tribe* is really pushing it. I never believe that stuff.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Senior Detective Senior Detective wrote:

^this thread talks about blacks owning whites as slaves in Africa^^  its a looooong thread. if ur curious & have the patience, go for it.

their african diaspora forum http://www.lipstickalley.com/forumdisplay.php?f=328

idc who's mad or jealous of LSA, there is a lot of good info in the links provided.   I posted for those that want to learn

hmphhh!!

A bit off topic,
SD, I'm curious to know, do you know who runs LSA? Because I've been browsing their African diaspora and Africa forums lately and although I notice some interesting information in there, I also notice that serious white racists along with self-loathing black individuals are given free reign on that site and that moderators seem to protect them while going in on those with valid arguments about the African diaspora. I'm suspecting this site is not black owned because some of the fuccery in there...

Serious question, I'd like to get info on that web site. There are some interesting threads in there but SO MANY that are cringe worthy. And they stay insulting each other.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 10:22am

hmphhh!!

A bit off topic,
SD, I'm curious to know, do you know who runs LSA? Because I've been browsing their African diaspora and Africa forums lately and although I notice some interesting information in there, I also notice that serious white racists along with self-loathing black individuals are given free reign on that site and that moderators seem to protect them while going in on those with valid arguments about the African diaspora. I'm suspecting this site is not black owned because some of the fuccery in there...

Serious question, I'd like to get info on that web site. There are some interesting threads in there but SO MANY that are cringe worthy. And they stay insulting each other.
LOL What???!!! You mean like they do HERE EVERYDAY!??  gurrrrrlll, chuh.   Anywho it is a black owned site operated by a black woman.   The reason it seems like there is free reign is they are treated equally with no favortism.  If I was to say I hate white ppl, they are stupid and ugly, how is that different from saying I hate black ppl, they are stupid & ugly?  What's good for the goose is good for the gander.   Free speech for all or none.

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 10:48am
I had DNA testing done for fun and for the medical info. 

20% chance of developing breast cancer...

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 10:53am

hmphhh!!

A bit off topic,

LOL What???!!! You mean like they do HERE EVERYDAY!??  gurrrrrlll, chuh.   Anywho it is a black owned site operated by a black woman.   The reason it seems like there is free reign is they are treated equally with no favortism.  If I was to say I hate white ppl, they are stupid and ugly, how is that different from saying I hate black ppl, they are stupid & ugly?  What's good for the goose is good for the gander.   Free speech for all or none.

I beg to differ. I've been browsing and posting for about 2 weeks there and they just banned me for 2 days for butting heads with some white racist who is using every trick in the book to denigrate African ancestry and specifically Haitian ancestry because he's Dominican. Dude even said that Africans are genetically inferior and that Haitians have low IQs and that West Africa amounts to nothing and I'm the one who got banned. Dude is a fascist throughout all of his threads. So naturally I became curious to know who owns this site and what are the mods attitudes on there. BHM is not nearly as vicious and hostile.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 10:58am
My breakdown:

88.4% Sub-Saharan African
  • 67.3% West African
  • .8% Central/South African
  • 20.4% Non-Specific Sub-Saharan African
6.5% European
2.3% East Asian & Native American
2.8% Unassigned

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:03am
The mods in the religious forums on LSA are great

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:09am
2 days is not a long ban.  You should know which mod & why in ur notifications.   They actually have the decency to TELL you what the violation was & which mod does it.  idk what rule u broke, but u can def plead ur case w/o repurcussions, just go to the rule section at the bottom of the home page to know how

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:14am

The mods in the religious forums on LSA are great
they really are, kudos to VeronycaClap we should have some atheist mods here to balance out the one-sidedness

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:18am

2 days is not a long ban.  You should know which mod & why in ur notifications.   They actually have the decency to TELL you what the violation was & which mod does it.  idk what rule u broke, but u can def plead ur case w/o repurcussions, just go to the rule section at the bottom of the home page to know how

LOL, I don't want to plead my case with them. I don't plan on posting there on a regular basis because I don't like the amount of racists and color-struck people who run amuck in there. I'm a history buff as you probably know and I only went there to see what they had to say in the African Diaspora & Africa thread. I just find it surprising the level of openly racist folks they allow on there without moderating.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 11:27am
Which thread were you in Jolie? I dropped off facts with back up info and they never say nothing to me.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:05pm
I read the threads.  I know who you are nowWink

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:17pm
Are you talking about me?

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:31pm

I read the threads.  I know who you are nowWink

I knew you would find it, I pretty much outed myself. It's not like I tried to disguise the way I usually word things and these are topics I'm likely to comment in bhm as well.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:36pm

no, ur  name was the same.  not a big mysteryLOL

@jolie, I wont say anything

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:39pm
Hmmm so this is recent. Lemme check.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 12:56pm

no, ur  name was the same.  not a big mysteryLOL

@jolie, I wont say anything

LOL, you can say, it doesn't affect me in the least. I don't have any emotional attachment in this

Print Page | Close Window