Print Page | Close Window

repost? two babies left in the car, dead

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367611
Printed Date: Nov 23 2017 at 5:11am

Topic: repost? two babies left in the car, dead
Posted By: K_Camille
Subject: repost? two babies left in the car, dead
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:23am

So Sad: Two Babies Dead After 23-Year-Old Single Mother Leaves Them In Car While She Worked

http://bossip.com/893519/so-sad-two-babies-dead-after-23-year-old-single-mother-left-them-in-car-while-she-worked/22438859_bg1-square1/" rel="nofollow">22438859_BG1-square(1)

http://bossip.com/?s=so+sad&x=0&y=0" rel="nofollow - This is a real tragic tale …

Kids Dead After Mom Left Them In Car While She Worked

Via  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/09/brittney-downing-guilty_n_4565948.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003&ir=DC" rel="nofollow - HuffPo  reports:

In a barely audible voice, 23-year-old Brittney R. Downing for the first time Wednesday publicly admitted guilt in the deaths of her two children, a baby daughter 3 months old and a son, 20 months, who was the first to die.

The former high school academic standout and scholarship college student showed little emotion in a Henrico County Circuit Court proceeding that lasted barely 30 minutes.

But her lawyer, Vaughan Jones, said after court that a three-hour sentencing hearing in March, which could bring Downing up to 25 years in prison, “will reveal a heartbreaking ordeal for everyone involved.”

Downing, who remained free on $130,000 bond Wednesday, was a devoted, caring mother, Jones said, who adored her children and fatally tried to balance her independence as a single mother, her need for work and an inability to find help with child care in May last year.

Henrico Commonwealth’s Attorney Shannon Taylor told the court Wednesday that the two children were kept in a locked car in the parking lot of a Henrico hotel where Downing worked and that, despite moderate temperatures that did not exceed 73 degrees outside, the children’s body temperatures reached levels that caused their brains to swell and bring on severe neurological distress.

Downing’s son, Jelani, 20 months, apparently was dead by the time Downing reached her home that Sunday, May 26, after work.

Downing’s infant daughter, Jade, died four days later while on life support at a hospital. The infant survived longer because her skull, which had not fully formed, was better able to accommodate her swelling brain, Taylor said.

Taylor called the pleas to involuntary manslaughter charges, reduced from felony murder indictments carrying up to 40 years each, appropriate given the circumstances of the case.

She said she sympathizes with Downing’s predicament but said Downing also showed a reckless disregard for the welfare of the children and is responsible for their deaths.

Downing also faces a child endangerment charge stemming from her admission that she had on a previous occasion left the infant in the car alone at the same hotel. She had begun working there just days before the May 26 incident.

“What happened in court is justifiable given the facts of this case,” Taylor said. The plea agreement leaves Taylor free to ask that the maximum allowable punishment be imposed.

You have to feel bad for this woman. Young with kids, no help or too embarrassed or proud to ask for it. The state won’t help with child care unless you are jobless and looking. What would you do?

- See more at: http://bossip.com/893519/so-sad-two-babies-dead-after-23-year-old-single-mother-left-them-in-car-while-she-worked/#sthash.hj2SUKl0.dpuf

Replies:
Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:31am
I do not pity this woman. She left those two babies in a damn car unsupervised! The sympathetic tone of this article is disturbing.

It's one thing to juggle school and home life and another to put that home life in danger and she clearly did the latter and is paying for it now.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

I do not pity this woman. She left those two babies in a damn car unsupervised! The sympathetic tone of this article is disturbing.

It's one thing to juggle school and home life and another to put that home life in danger and she clearly did the latter and is paying for it now.

I agree.  I was bothered by that and meant to post a disclaimer because I do not share that sentiment.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:56am
i feel bad for her. she was only on the job 3 days and probably was afraid to call out and wasnt thinking straight.  no one wants to take care of small children and the ones who do wont do it unless they can throw in a couple of jabs about how you shouldve never gotten pregnant in the first place. 

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:57am
A 3 month old?

Poor kids, they had to suffer as they died. She needs to be charged w/murder...

Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:06am
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

i feel bad for her. she was only on the job 3 days and probably was afraid to call out and wasnt thinking straight.  no one wants to take care of small children and the ones who do wont do it unless they can throw in a couple of jabs about how you shouldve never gotten pregnant in the first place. 

I do too. Seems like a desperate situation and she probably thought 73 degrees wasn't hot enough for the car to overheat and cause a heat stroke.

However, I do think she should go to jail. Not for murder though, for manslaughter and child neglect.

Those poor babies

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:11am

Well she did have 2 kids in under 2 years...We aren't talking about a 16 y/o here, but a 23 year old college woman.  Society encourages this "do you" attitude instead of a "be responsible" one.  Leaving your infants in a car is never acceptable.  If she did have the means of childcare and didn't take it because of some potential jabs, she's wrong and kids are dead.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:12am
Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

I do too. Seems like a desperate situation and she probably thought 73 degrees wasn't hot enough for the car to overheat and cause a heat stroke.

However, I do think she should go to jail. Not for murder though, for manslaughter and child neglect.

Those poor babies

yeah i definitely feel she needs to do time.  she still killed those babies.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

Well she did have 2 kids in under 2 years...We aren't talking about a 16 y/o here, but a 23 year old college woman.  Society encourages this "do you" attitude instead of a "be responsible" one.  Leaving your infants in a car is never acceptable.  If she did have the means of childcare and didn't take it because of some potential jabs, she's wrong and kids are dead.

*shrugs*

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:21am
She may have been depressed because I can't think of anyone in there right mind who'd have left those babies alone like that.

The story is tragic.

Posted By: indiecat
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:29am
How could anybody leave babies in the car after hearing so many stories of children overheating and dying. Smh, I know she was single, but someone out there could have watched her babies. or she should have let her job know she had 2 babies. I know you have to be careful who you choose to watch your kids, it takes time to find someone or a place that doesn't cost a lot and someone you can trust, but leaving kids in a locked car is never an option, especially at that age. I'm wondering how long her shifts were and if she even would come and check on them.

Posted By: decemberdiamond
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:31am
25 years will not be enough

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

All of this & I refuse to make/hear any excuses for her-- mental or otherwise. She knew what she was doing and she's done it before.

You're 23, an "academic standout" and "college scholarship student", but lack the cognizance needed to realize children shouldn't be left unsupervised and of all places, a locked vehicle?

Gtfohwtbs. Go to jail. Go directly to jail.

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:35am
Man I feel so bad for single mothers out here. So daggone bad. It was a reckless decision she will have to face for the rest of her life. No family, baby daddy, friend, next door neighbor.....Somebody to watch those kidsCry. It was a bad choice.

She's a smart girl obviously since she was able to go to school on scholarships and managed kids at the sametime. But I feel there was a little pride in her choices. Like if I could do the school thing by myself then I can take care of my kids by myself. Those kids were in the car all 3 days that she started that job. Its unfortunate that they died on day 3.Cry She should've worked out a deal with a daycare center. Given them a sob story and rolled on the floor just for them to be watched while you earn some income.(I've done this before by the way). Daycare is expensive but you have to do what you have to do for the sake of the kids.

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:04am
Nobody's job would be that important that I would leave my young ass kids in the car while I go work. Maybe it's just me but if I couldn't find a babysitter I would've been fired that day for calling out

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:23am
Jeeezuz Niecy look at the babys toes in your AVI....Her face is so daggone cayuteeee.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:35am
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Jeeezuz Niecy look at the babys toes in your AVI....Her face is so daggone cayuteeee.

Embarrassed Thanks. 

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:45am
i feel bad for her, but not sorry for her.  her intention was to provide for her kids, but her own actions and decision making lead to all of this.  

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:47am

I see your point.  It's a messed up situation for everyone involved. 

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:53am
smh. had to have been postpartum

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:00am
She should've given her kids up. When you resort to leaving your children in a car all day, it's time to give em up because you're now jeopardizing the safety of the children.

She put her job over her children, and now she's jobless, childless, and facing charges.

Don't they have safe-havens (hospitals) where you can anonymously drop a child off and flee?

Posted By: Senior Detective
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:14am
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

She should've given her kids up. When you resort to leaving your children in a car all day, it's time to give em up because you're now jeopardizing the safety of the children.

She put her job over her children, and now she's jobless, childless, and facing charges.

Don't they have safe-havens (hospitals) where you can anonymously drop a child off and flee?
some states do that for newborns, Idk if they do that for toddlers and up.

Sad all around. This is why I'm pro abortion and pro birth control.

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:16am
As sympathetic as the tone of that article is, I thought she was white until I got to the name Jelani. 

Po babies. RIP Jelani & Jade.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:45am
I feel bad for her and the kids. Sad story.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:49am
I am curious how she made bail. Someone paid 13k to get her out. Who paid for that and where were they when she left her babies in the car?

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 11:22am
I don't feel a bit sorry for her.

Obviously her family situation is bad if she could not count on family to babysit while she went to work.

Another example of irresponsible sex if she got knocked up with 2 babies at her age ... where she knew did could not provide for them so she would end up leaving them in odd places ALONE instead of hiring help.

Should have had responsible sex and not gotten knocked up at all or had an abortion within the first month or two when the baby was the size of a pea.

Instead she brought those 2 innocents lives into the world (who knows what else they suffered at her hands) just so that they could die a horrible death like that.

Fry her.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Obviously her family situation is bad if she could not count on family to babysit while she went to work.

Another example of irresponsible sex if she got knocked up with 2 babies at her age ... where she knew did could not provide for them so she would end up leaving them in odd places ALONE instead of hiring help.

Should have had responsible sex and not gotten knocked up at all or had an abortion within the first month or two when the baby was the size of a pea.

Instead she brought those 2 innocents lives into the world (who knows what else they suffered at her hands) just so that they could die a horrible death like that.

Fry her.

I don't understand when people talk like this. Your observation is already after the fact that she had the kids. She probably had a good job before having the kids and lost it after the kids were born. YES she is wrong for leaving the innocent babies in the car but how can you chastise and say she should've had protected sex knowing the article states the kids are 20 months and 3 months already here in the world.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 11:57am
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

I am curious how she made bail. Someone paid 13k to get her out. Who paid for that and where were they when she left her babies in the car?

130K.  I had read the original article on HuffPo and it was said some people had sent her letters of support.  I wonder if people donated? $130,000 is a lot.  This puzzles me as well.  Sidenote, there is hella money in the justice system. 

Posted By: Oladunni
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by K_Camille K_Camille wrote:

130K.  I had read the original article on HuffPo and it was said some people had sent her letters of support.  I wonder if people donated? $130,000 is a lot.  This puzzles me as well.  Sidenote, there is hella money in the justice system. 

nah you pay 10% for bail

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 12:31pm
^^ Oh okay. I wonder if her parents borrowed the money to bail her out.  It was said they are former military personnel who operate a church and live in a middle-class suburban neighborhood.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 12:40pm
Operates a church??? What is she doing having babies outside of wedlock? Maaaaan, I can't...

Posted By: bg
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 12:51pm
Just sad all around...i wont judge her or her circumstances

it will be interesting to see how this plays out in court...

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 1:29pm

Fry her.

I don't understand when people talk like this. Your observation is already after the fact that she had the kids. She probably had a good job before having the kids and lost it after the kids were born. YES she is wrong for leaving the innocent babies in the car but how can you chastise and say she should've had protected sex knowing the article states the kids are 20 months and 3 months already here in the world.

Bruh responses and opinions like this are the reason why the world is going to sh*t. I'm thoroughly tired of people coddling women who make the MISTAKE of having kids they can't afford or duly provide for. Maybe if she had been told to keep her legs closed until she could provide for her kids in a fashion that would not have resulted in their painful deaths, one life could have been spared. This woman killed her kids. They already started off at an immediate disadvantage with no father in the picture because of mama's actions but now they're dead -_-.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 1:38pm
Ia femme

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Fry her.

Bruh responses and opinions like this are the reason why the world is going to sh*t. I'm thoroughly tired of people coddling women who make the MISTAKE of having kids they can't afford or duly provide for. Maybe if she had been told to keep her legs closed until she could provide for her kids in a fashion that would not have resulted in their painful deaths, one life could have been spared. This woman killed her kids. They already started off at an immediate disadvantage with no father in the picture because of mama's actions but now they're dead -_-.

Femm anything can happen its not like when people plan to have babies their 1st thought is I ain't gonna take care of this baby. There is no way you can predict the future. What if the father was there and died of natural causes will you say she should've had an abortion. Prays you are never in this situation. I have compassion for mothers. YES it was a dumb mistake but you cannot turn back time OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE HERE YOURSELF!!!!

EDITED to ADD: I'm a mother myself so I can speak on this subject. Now my fingers are ready for any rebuttals you may have cos I got all damn day.

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 2:10pm

This is why I don't support single parent. Where the father(s) of the two babies? Everyone wants to have children before they are able to take of themselves.

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 2:46pm
I don't understand. A 20 month old was even able to chill in a car for hours with a four month old. The 4 month old can sleep, but the 20 month old wouldve been all over that car. That's crazy.

Really sad situation. It's unfortunate that the babies died and that she's going to jail. She's at least a little crazy though, there's no way she should've thought that was a good plan.

People do still steal kids ya know...

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

This is why I don't support single parent. Where the father(s) of the two babies? Everyone wants to have children before they are able to take of themselves.

Correct.

I don't support single parenthood either. It's different if one of the parents happens to die because at least the INTENT was there but the business of getting knocked up so that you have this pitiful 'babydaddy' type situation today cheats the child out of a normal heathly family unit.

This would be a stable environment where the parents have a heathly relationship and the maturity and resources to raise a child. This way the child can model this behavior and raise their own family the same way.

Those 2 babies ... never had a chance. :(

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 2:59pm
Poor babies.

So much truth in this thread lawd.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 3:09pm

We can only control who we sleep with. We cannot control if the dude will stick around for the raising of the kids. She tried but it was a failed attempt and a super failed decision to leave those angels in the car. The guy still could've left her if they were married and were having issues hence still lbeing a single parent.

I can only blame a person if they blatantly said I want to be a SINGLE mother and want the father to have no part in the raising of my child. If she failed at that choice then I would blame her but not for being single. When they were fugging she wasn't single.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 3:13pm

Correct.

I don't support single parenthood either. It's different if one of the parents happens to die because at least the INTENT was there but the business of getting knocked up so that you have this pitiful 'babydaddy' type situation today cheats the child out of a normal heathly family unit.

This would be a stable environment where the parents have a healthy relationship and the maturity and resources to raise a child. This way the child can model this behavior and raise their own family the same way.

Those 2 babies ... never had a chance. :(

Once again what do you expect her to do if they had a long relationship and the guy ups and runs off and she has 2 babies to take care of. For the 2nd bolded no one predicts this situation. 

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:10pm
At the same time that I feel bad for her, I want her to be charged due to the pain inflicted upon those kids.
Can you imagine being a 20 month old sitting in a car, crying, hungry, feeling hot and your head is hurting you more and more because your brain is swelling?? Both kids felt A LOT of pain.

I think 25 years in prison is a bit too much... she should be given 5 and then CPS should be on her as$ next time she has a child.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:26pm

I found a article from last year that offers a little insight about the father and family . No updates ?

Letters support murder suspect
By James Peacemaker, Jr. Managing Editor
Aug 12, 2013, 14:30

Downing

A 22-year-old Prince George woman charged in the deaths of her two young children could soon be free on bond after family, friends and members of her church rallied to support her.

Henrico Circuit Court Judge Gary Hicks approved bond Aug. 5 after the defense presented more than 80 letters praising Brittney Rochelle Downing as being polite, church-going and always willing to help others. Many letters say it was just a horrible mistake made by a woman who was desperate to keep her new job so that she could care for her two young kids.

But prosecutors say she left the two children in a hot car for seven hours May 26 when she went to work at a hotel in Henrico, only checking on them once, and she didn’t notice they needed medical help until after she had driven all the way back home. Twenty-month-old Jelani A. Downing-Batson was pronounced dead that same day and 2-month-old Jade Downing died four days later in the hospital.

In court Aug. 5, the defense also presented a list of other heat-related death cases in Virginia and showed that all of them were granted bond.

The judge set bond at $65,000 on each charge, for a total of $130,000.

Downing, of the 4600 block of Baileys Ridge Drive, just outside of Hopewell, was previously denied bond several times. She was also out on bond for an unrelated charge when the incident occurred.

If released, Downing would have GPS monitoring and be in the care of her parents, who are both pastors at a church in Hopewell.

Stephen and Pamela J. Downing, who live in southern Chesterfield, are pastors at Victorious Christian Living Ministries in Hopewell. The church is located in off Oaklawn Boulevard, not far from where Brittney Downing lived.

———

Court records show some details of how Downing’s promising life went awry.

Downing was born in New Haven, Conn., but her parents moved to Virginia shortly thereafter in 1990. She spent most of her life in Virginia.

They were very active in Bethesda Baptist Church, just north of Colonial Heights, and many letters from parishioners recall Brittney as being polite, sweet and never violent.

When Stephen and Pamela Downing started their church in Hopewell in 2002, Brittney became its first Sunday school teacher. Letters to the judge tell how Brittney was very active in that church as well.

Brittney was an honor roll student at Thomas Dale High School in Chester and was accepted to Norfolk State University with an engineering scholarship. She attended for two years but eventually left to raise her first child, her attorney said.

In testimony June 5, her father, Stephen Downing, said she took some classes at John Tyler Community College and even tried to join the Air Force but didn’t make it through boot camp due to scoliosis, a curvature of the spine.

Stephen Downing said Brittney moved out of her parent’s home about a year and a half ago.

He said she worked at various jobs, including Dunkin’ Donuts, Vangent and Amazon. But he said she had been unemployed since August 2012, shortly after becoming pregnant with her second child.

Stephen Downing said he and his wife provided support for their daughter but the father of Brittney’s kids offered little help.

When asked if the extended family cared for Brittney, he said “Oh yes, no doubt. Everyone loves her.”

But she also has faced criminal charges before.

Downing was charged in Colonial Heights with obtaining money by false pretenses, a felony usually associated with writing bad checks. The offense allegedly took place on Aug. 31, 2012, and she was arrested April 11, 2013, according to online court records. She is scheduled to appear in court on Aug. 14.

She was also charged with petit larceny in Chesterfield in relation to an incident that occurred April 30, according to online court records. She also faced several traffic-related charges.

On July 17, she pleaded no contest in Henrico District Court to driving with a suspended license. She was sentenced to 30 days in jail but 29 days were suspended.

She also had been charged with failure to appear in court in Prince George, but defense attorneys say it was related to charges of failure to pay child support that she had filed. She missed the court date because she got the dates mixed up.

In court June 5, Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Shannon L. Taylor explained how the two children died.

Taylor said Brittney Downing had just started a new job at Comfort Suites in Glen Allen. On Sunday, May 26, Downing worked the 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. shift. Prosecutors say she left the two children strapped in their seats in the car while she was working. They said that although the car was initially parked in the shade, as the day progressed, the car was in the sun the majority of the day. Prosecutors say the windows were cracked but Downing only checked on the children once during the day, around 1 or 1:30 p.m.

The temperature reached a high of 76 degrees in Richmond that day, according to weather records.

Around 6 p.m. after Downing returned home, Prince George Police responded to her apartment in the 4600 block of Bailey Ridge Lane after a 911 call for an unresponsive child.

Emergency crews tried to revive 20-month-old Jelani A. Downing-Batson but were unsuccessful.

Two-month-old girl Jade Downing was rushed to Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center in Richmond. She was in critical condition and died four days later around 12:30 p.m. May 30.

Brittney Downing was initially charged with two counts of felony child neglect on May 28. The charges were later changed to murder when she was indicted July 8.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:38pm

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Brittney was an honor roll student at Thomas Dale High School in Chester and was accepted to Norfolk State University with an engineering scholarship. She attended for two years but eventually left to raise her first child, her attorney said.

In testimony June 5, her father, Stephen Downing, said she took some classes at John Tyler Community College and even tried to join the Air Force but didn’t make it through boot camp due to scoliosis, a curvature of the spine.

Stephen Downing said Brittney moved out of her parent’s home about a year and a half ago.

He said she worked at various jobs, including Dunkin’ Donuts, Vangent and Amazon. But he said she had been unemployed since August 2012, shortly after becoming pregnant with her second child.

Downing was charged in Colonial Heights with obtaining money by false pretenses, a felony usually associated with writing bad checks. The offense allegedly took place on Aug. 31, 2012, and she was arrested April 11, 2013, according to online court records. She is scheduled to appear in court on Aug. 14.

She was also charged with petit larceny in Chesterfield in relation to an incident that occurred April 30, according to online court records. She also faced several traffic-related charges.

On July 17, she pleaded no contest in Henrico District Court to driving with a suspended license. She was sentenced to 30 days in jail but 29 days were suspended.

A bunch of bad decisions, irresponsible choices, and criminal behavior. Not surprised.

She had no business having one child, let alone two.

I hope she gets the full punishment.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:43pm

i do feel kind of bad for her but there's really no excuse

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 4:45pm

writing bad checks? driving with a suspended license?

nah i take that feeling bad for her part backStern Smile

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:24pm
I'm not sure how people are trying to link her irresponsible behavior to her marital status. In The majority of marriages to this day the mother is the primary caregiver of children. Unless people are saying that with a husband she could afford child care I don't get it.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:28pm
I was just reading how they have found a link between the length of time a mother has off work and postpartum depression.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:31pm

I'm not sure how people are trying to link her irresponsible behavior to her marital status. In The majority of marriages to this day the mother is the primary caregiver of children. Unless people are saying that with a husband she could afford child care I don't get it.

Some people mentioned they don't promote single mothers. I'm saying shes already a mother and its not like she chose to be single. Even if she were married it could've happened that she would still be taking care of the kids herself if the hubby is no good. 

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 5:38pm
Those kids had 2 parents. If their father had been paying CS, she probably could have afforded daycare. They both should be on trial.

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

Those kids had 2 parents. If their father had been paying CS, she probably could have afforded daycare. They both should be on trial.
Yall are tough on BHM! Not necessarily. Child support is based off of the incomes of the two parents and the cost of established childcare. Daycares have long waiting list. Daycare is expensive...and all these daycare horror store posts on BHM I could understand why some people choose not to go the daycare route. I am blessed enough to have family members who have retired to look after my child. The thing that angers me the most is that her family and church were so supportive in bailing her out, where were they when she needed someone to watch her kids? Also, for you single mom bashers...what if the husband and she worked at the same time...she would still be in the same predicament of trying to find childcare.

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:15pm
u mean both of h er parents are pastors and there was not one single person in that congregation whom she could ask for help from?......

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:29pm

Fry her.

agreed.

im not against being a single parent or a poor parent, but i'm way against being an unprepared parent.  life happens but she was 23 with a 2 yr old and an infant.  she shouldn't have put herself in that position.  she knew what she was walking into and i refuse to believe otherwise.  it's not that hard to avoid fcked up situations.  she went to college, so we can't play the uneducated card.  I could've had children by now but i'm a realist and realistically it would not work yet.  why is this concept so hard for people?  now two kids are dead, to add to the millions who are starving and neglected by ill-prepared and deadbeat parents.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:33pm

Heart

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:39pm
Very poor decisions.

She'll have time to rethink her life while she's in jail.

RIP to those innocent babies.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:41pm

Some people mentioned they don't promote single mothers. I'm saying shes already a mother and its not like she chose to be single. Even if she were married it could've happened that she would still be taking care of the kids herself if the hubby is no good. 

She absolutely chose it.

A 19 year old who gets pregnant while on full scholarship...you have to go out of your way to avoid free condoms, birth control, plan b pills, and abortions on a college campus.

Then she dropped out of school, decided she was grown and moved out of her parents house (probably because she was acting too big for her britches), works at bs jobs, and gets pregnant with a second child when the first is only 8 months, steals and commit crimes...and then kills those poor children.

She chose a deadbeat (or another dumbass teenager who became a deadbeat), TWICE. She chose to be in the position she was in. She has to be responsible for that. A person would have to be brain damaged to expect a good outcome from any of these choices.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:49pm
i still don't get the connection. 
-there are married women who kill their infants due to postpartum depression
-there are married women who ignore warnings and sleep their infants on their bellies and their babies die of SIDS
-there are married women who leave their children unattended and their children die of burns, dog attacks, drowning, furniture falling on them etc

she made a stupid decision plain and simple. 

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:01pm
I don't get the whole choosing to be a single parent logic. While I agree that people need to be careful as far as having kids before they are ready for them, no person knows how the other parent will be as far as helping to take care of their children. Yes, she was dumb as hell for popping out a SECOND baby from the guy though (if in fact the kids are from the same guy and the father of her kids is really a deadbeat dad since I dont know what lead to her being a single parent).

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:05pm
Horrible decision to leave them babies, but a part of me is relieved that she didn't leave em with a boyfriend that would abuse them sexually or physically and leave them scarred for life...

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:02pm
What happen to the op ? I try not to post long articles in another members topic . I found a update . The editor made the Print large .  a barely audible voice, 23-year-old Brittney R. Downing for the first time Wednesday publicly admitted guilt in the deaths of her two children, a baby daughter 3 months old and a son, 20 months, who was the first to die.

The former high school academic standout and scholarship college student showed little emotion in a Henrico County Circuit Court proceeding that lasted barely 30 minutes.

But her lawyer, Vaughan Jones, said after court that a three-hour sentencing hearing in March, which could bring Downing up to 25 years in prison, "will reveal a heartbreaking ordeal for everyone involved."

Downing, who remained free on $130,000 bond Wednesday, was a devoted, caring mother, Jones said, who adored her children and fatally tried to balance her independence as a single mother, her need for work and an inability to find help with child care in May last year.

Henrico Commonwealth's Attorney Shannon Taylor told the court Wednesday that the two children were kept in a locked car in the parking lot of a Henrico hotel where Downing worked and that, despite moderate temperatures that did not exceed 73 degrees outside, the children's body temperatures reached levels that caused their brains to swell and bring on severe neurological distress.

Downing's son, Jelani, 20 months, apparently was dead by the time Downing reached her home that Sunday, May 26, after work.

Downing's infant daughter, Jade, died four days later while on life support at a hospital. The infant survived longer because her skull, which had not fully formed, was better able to accommodate her swelling brain, Taylor said.

Downing, accompanied by sheriff's deputies, was able to see her deceased children the day before their funeral.

But Taylor, relying on witness accounts, described the young woman's demeanor as flat with no affect at her apartment as family members and a roommate became distraught in the wake of what was unfolding May 26.

Taylor called the pleas to involuntary manslaughter charges, reduced from felony murder indictments carrying up to 40 years each, appropriate given the circumstances of the case.

She said she sympathizes with Downing's predicament but said Downing also showed a reckless disregard for the welfare of the children and is responsible for their deaths.

Downing also faces a child endangerment charge stemming from her admission that she had on a previous occasion left the infant in the car alone at the same hotel. She had begun working there just days before the May 26 incident.

"What happened in court is justifiable given the facts of this case," Taylor said. The plea agreement leaves Taylor free to ask that the maximum allowable punishment be imposed.

Dressed in a black suit and high heels, Downing was accompanied Wednesday by her father and mother, former military personnel who operate a Hopewell storefront church and live in a middle-class suburb near Colonial Heights.

Neither parent testified Wednesday, but Jones said he will summon numerous witnesses at the sentencing hearing March 26, many of whom wrote letters of support for Downing when she was granted bond in August.

Among the letters was one from a minister who described Downing, a Thomas Dale High School graduate and scholarship engineering student in college, as "an overwhelmed young mother" whose role in her children's deaths were "in no way committed in malice or intention to cause harm

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:18pm
This is disturbing .
I am sympathetic.

She was probably so afraid of getting fired and probably felt so alone.
No excuse but I damn.

She killed her babies yes.
This whole situation is terrible.

After we tell them to close their legs there has to be a better support system for the ones that don't.

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

This is disturbing .
I am sympathetic.

No excuse but I damn.

After we tell them to close their legs there has to be a better support system for the ones that don't.

They don't have to close their legs, use condoms. I'm so glad I have my family as a support system. This young lady may have had ptsd?

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

I don't get the whole choosing to be a single parent logic. While I agree that people need to be careful as far as having kids before they are ready for them, no person knows how the other parent will be as far as helping to take care of their children. Yes, she was dumb as hell for popping out a SECOND baby from the guy though (if in fact the kids are from the same guy and the father of her kids is really a deadbeat dad since I dont know what lead to her being a single parent).

In many case they do. If somebody is messing with an ain't sheit boyfriend, 9/10 he will be an ain't sheit father. But the cases in which the father tricks the woman into thinking that he really wants a child are the cases that suck.

Posted By: mrshairdo
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:36pm

Fry her.

doesn't matter, it's still irresponsible

and i think PI did that to counter the sympathetic tone of the article which i totally understand

Posted By: mrshairdo
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Fry her.

agreed.

im not against being a single parent or a poor parent, but i'm way against being an unprepared parent.  life happens but she was 23 with a 2 yr old and an infant.  she shouldn't have put herself in that position.  she knew what she was walking into and i refuse to believe otherwise.  it's not that hard to avoid fcked up situations.  she went to college, so we can't play the uneducated card.  I could've had children by now but i'm a realist and realistically it would not work yet.  why is this concept so hard for people?  now two kids are dead, to add to the millions who are starving and neglected by ill-prepared and deadbeat parents.

the mothers getting upset in this thread are not understanding this....i dont even feeling like they are trying

then again i understand their bias

Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:44pm
I wonder if her health issuses contributed to her lack of good judgement ? My parents never really discuss sex with me as a teen except for pregnancy warnings . Thank God i waited until after the age of 18 after i found out how to protect myself the first time . The girl will suffer no matter what happens for the rest of her life . Poor babies .

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:58pm
she wasn't worried about someone stealing the kids? Especially with them being so young. 20 months is still a baby to me and people love to steal babies.

I feel for all parties involved. I think it was  negligent and dangerous for her leave the kids unattended . I don't know what her punishment should be though.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

This is disturbing .
I am sympathetic.

No excuse but I damn.

They don't have to close their legs, use condoms. I'm so glad I have my family as a support system. This young lady may have had ptsd?

I'm just saying even if you use to use that message there has to be a back up plan

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 12:55am
So sad....I couldn't imagine leaving my child in the car for two mins alone...She didn't check up on them at all during her breaks??????

Date Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 7:22am
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

So sad....I couldn't imagine leaving my child in the car for two mins alone...She didn't check up on them at all during her breaks??????
This is a sub from an article written last year.  Says she only checked on them once.

"But prosecutors say she left the two children in a hot car for seven hours May 26 when she went to work at a hotel in Henrico, only checking on them once, and she didn’t notice they needed medical help until after she had driven all the way back home. Twenty-month-old Jelani A. Downing-Batson was pronounced dead that same day and 2-month-old Jade Downing died four days later in the hospital."

Posted By: Butta Cookie
Date Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 8:28am
Aww. Poor Babies. I can see both sides though. I have a family member just a trifling as this girl. She has 5 kids and will leave them jokas at home alone with no food and don't give a fk. 1 is special needs but ask her if she cares! We were helping her by watching all her kids while she worked and financially but she took advantage of us. I feel bad because at least this girl (from the article) was trying to do the right thing by working. My family would of helped her as long as she's trying to help herself.

Print Page | Close Window