Print Page | Close Window

12 years a slave vs django| spoilers

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367525
Printed Date: Dec 13 2018 at 5:47am

Topic: 12 years a slave vs django| spoilers
Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Subject: 12 years a slave vs django| spoilers
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:43am

have ya'll noticed, white folks and mainstream media haven't talked about 12 years a slave nearly as much as they did django?

i was a harsh critic of django because i felt it was a satire film making light of slavery and a lot of cacs were saying i was overreacting. some even said it deserved best picture honorsErmm i haven't gone back to see how many awards django was nominated for but i'm sure it was more than 12 years a slave.

tbh feel free to 1 star my rant but i'm just noticing the difference between the hype of the two films and i am prepared for a lot of white hipsters to try to ride the 12 years a slave bandwagon now that award season is here.

Replies:
Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:56am
Maybe because 12 Years was so damn depressing? IDK, but what I do know, is that the Oscars are the acid test. They love giving Oscars to/for depressing ass movies. So 12 years should clean up. If it doesn't, well....

eta: I have not actually seen either of these movies (and probably never will). But I read a few pages of most of the threads that were posted here about them.

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 12:08pm
No Shucking and Jiving, you know they only have time for foolery.Wink

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 12:17pm
i havent seen either.. 
is that awful? 

im going to watch them soonish 

Posted By: mrshairdo
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 12:33pm
i loved django, it was a great great movie
and yes 12 years was depressing but 12 years is definitely getting more noms then django did

i dont know what there was not to love about django...a black slave getting revenge on slave owners..sounds good to me

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 12:35pm
When it comes to Django, YT People got the chance to mock and laugh at slavery.

Other Blacks were doing it, so that makes it okay....Sleepy

eta: YT folks won't talk about 12 years because the harsh reality will set in.

Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 12:36pm
JMO if they award 12 years a slave, that would give credence to the atrocities in the movie. Most yt people get by by saying that was over xyz years ago, get over it...they really haven't been faced with the savagery of what actually happened live & in living color. 

Posted By: bg
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 12:54pm
i didn't see any...i find these kinds of movies depressing...The Help, The Butler, 12 Years a Slave, Django...i just CAN'T

Now the PBS series that Henry Louis Gates did was fabulous and i learned a lot about our history that i didn't know...

i want to be educated about our history...not entertained/caricatured...

Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

and yes 12 years was depressing but 12 years is definitely getting more noms then django did

i dont know what there was not to love about django...a black slave getting revenge on slave owners..sounds good to me
i didn't like it because i don't like tarantino and i felt he made light of a sensitive time period. he turned slavery into a spaghetti western...and the doctor is the one who got the revenge. django was just a good ol boy who went along for the ride, imho.

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by bg bg wrote:

i didn't see any...i find these kinds of movies depressing...The Help, The Butler, 12 Years a Slave, Django...i just CAN'T

Now the PBS series that Henry Louis Gates did was fabulous and i learned a lot about our history that i didn't know...

i want to be educated about our history...not entertained/caricatured...

Im with you... I can live without another slave movie for a long time. HLG series is what we need.

Posted By: mrshairdo
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by fckwitmeuknoigotit fckwitmeuknoigotit wrote:

Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

i didn't like it because i don't like tarantino and i felt he made light of a sensitive time period. he turned slavery into a spaghetti western...and the doctor is the one who got the revenge. django was just a good ol boy who went along for the ride, imho.

it wasn't the doctor who was killing off all them ppl at the mansion, it was django....django killed the two villains in the movie and whole host of other folk

i feel completely opposite (tarantino making light of sensitive time)...i was actually refreshed by the movie

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 1:19pm
smh... 

can you put spoilers in the title JA? 

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 1:27pm
Haven't seen 12 years a slave
but Django was dope imo. 
not sure about this rant of yours.
but do you.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 2:32pm