Print Page | Close Window

Are you offended by the term Negro?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367485
Printed Date: Aug 16 2018 at 1:38am

Topic: Are you offended by the term Negro?
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Are you offended by the term Negro?
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:30pm

New York Juror Form Asks People To Identify As 'African American, Black, Or Negro' ... And It's 2014 (PHOTO)

Posted:   |  Updated: 01/10/2014 1:51 pm EST

Raeana Roberson doesn't think of herself as "Negro."

So when the 25-year-old New York City teacher, who is black, was asked to identify herself on a prospective juror form Monday at the Queens County courthouse as either "Black, African American or Negro," she was aghast.

"Is this an old form?" she said she thought to herself. "From the 1950s?"

"I felt shocked and upset and totally disrespected," Roberson said.

Roberson crossed out the word "Negro" on the form, and wrote "offensive! it's 2014!" She then snapped a photo of the form, which she posted to Facebook with the caption, "REALLY? 'Negro' ... that I am not. Hello 2014? ... jury duty.."

Roberson said she returned the form to a court employee -- a black woman -- and waited for a reaction, but got none. She said there were probably 300 prospective jurors in the room that day, of different races. No one else, she said, seemed upset by the form.

Roberson said the word stirs memories of segregation. "My grandfather is from South Carolina. He grew up in the Jim Crow South," she said. The history of "Negro," and the context in which the word has been used in the past, makes it offensive," she said.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary states that the term "Negro" is " http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/negro" rel="nofollow - sometimes offensive."

In the 2010 census, http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/interactive/2012/sep/20/us-census-2011-american-community-survey-data-interactive?guni=Article:in%20body%20link&guni=Article:in%20body%20link" rel="nofollow - only 36,000 people self-identified as Negro. Samuel Roberts, a Columbia University associate professor of history, said in a phone interview that the word has gone out of date.

"I would probably say it’s an oversight. I don’t think it was meant to be an offense, per se," said Roberts. "If a white person wanted to insult you in 1965, they had a much wider variety of choices to pick besides 'Negro.'

"Keep in mind that [the term] 'black' came around because of the black power movement," Roberts said. "Stokely Carmichael was one of most vocal advocates for calling ourselves 'black,' and he was reacting to people who were slightly older, maybe eight or 10 years older than him, like Martin Luther King, who talked about a Negro revolution."

Carmichael argued that the term http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2010/01/when_did_the_word_negro_become_taboo.html" rel="nofollow - "implied black inferiority." In 1967, following the publication of his book, Black Power: The Politics of Liberation in America, many black activists and black publications quit using the word.

Still, in 2014, "Negro" isn't just on juror forms in Queens. The word appears on forms across New York state.

Arlene Hackel, spokeswoman for the New York State office of court administration, explained that the race classification categories come from the U.S. Census Bureau.

"We don't have expertise in classification, so we follow their language, their classification, which is explained on the information card," Hackel said in a phone interview with The Huffington Post.

Hackel pointed to http://www.nycourts.gov/publications/pdfs/528_ReportNov2011.pdf" rel="nofollow - Section 528 of state judiciary law to explain why courts collect data on race and gender when someone is called for jury duty.

Section 528 was http://www.vosizneias.com/64014/2010/09/12/new-york-jurors-must-reveal-race-and-ethnicity/" rel="nofollow - created in 2010 to ensure that New York complies with the Constitution's Sixth Amendment, which guarantees a right to a fair trial before a jury that represents a cross-section of the community where the crime occurred.

"It's good that Queens is collecting that data," said Greg Hurley, an analyst at the National Center for State Courts, noting that many courts across the country don't ask jurors to identify their race and gender on a form.

The NCSC, at the behest of seven states in 2010, created its own version of a form for prospective jurors. That form, which used the 2010 Census demographic categorizations, did not include the word "Negro."

"We thought it would give the courts the information it needed without creating discomfort," Hurley said of the organization's form.

Although New York's data collection forms look to the Census Bureau for race categories, the state may be a little behind the Census. An http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/26/census-bureau-director-ap_n_514796.html" rel="nofollow - uproar from the black community after the inclusion of the term "Negro" on the 2010 Census prompted an apology from the bureau, which said it would cease using the term, http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/us-census-bureau-drops-negro-surveys/story?id=18591761" rel="nofollow - effective in 2014.

"Some of the commentary on the question comes from people offended by the term. I apologize to them," Robert Groves, the Census Bureau director at the time, http://directorsblog.blogs.census.gov/2010/01/19/the-word-negro/" rel="nofollow - wrote in a 2010 blog post .

"I am confident that the intent of my colleagues in using the same wording as Census 2000 was to make sure as many people as possible saw words that matched their self-identities," Groves continued. "Full inclusiveness was the goal."

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2010/01/21/race-and-the-census-the-%E2%80%9Cnegro%E2%80%9D-controversy/" rel="nofollow - Several http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/feb/25/us-census-bureau-negro-respondents-race" rel="nofollow - news http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/us-census-bureau-drops-negro-surveys/story?id=18591761" rel="nofollow - outlets reported last year that the Census Bureau would officially drop the term in 2014, and Americans would first see the change in an annual American Community Survey http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/02/25/172885551/no-more-negro-for-census-bureau-forms-and-surveys" rel="nofollow - released by the Census Bureau to 3.5 million households.

New York, however, still hasn't made the change.

"We are aware that it is an outdated term and we will be changing it as they change it," explained Hackel. "I can't give you a specific date, but I know that we have plans to make that change."

Roberson, meanwhile, after waiting 2 1/2 hours Monday at the courthouse, wasn't selected as a juror.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/09/juror-form-negro_n_4556506.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Replies:
Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:35pm
I use negro and colored all the time.

I don't really like the terms african american and black.

Anyway, I don't see what there is to be offended by.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:38pm
Negro was never an offensive word.
It's dated, but not offensive.

Posted By: yaya24
Am I offended- Not really. But it does look weird for it to be listed on that form.

Maybe it's on the form for the older patrons. Some older people still call themselves that. I've heard my SO's 98 year old grandmother say it.

this chick went through 5 stages of grief because she saw it on a formConfused LOL

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:40pm
I find it bizarre that the category for black people only consists of Black, African-American or Negro when the category for Asian breaks down by country. At the least they could break Black down by region of origin, i.e. Afro-Caribbean, African-American, African, so on and so forth,.

I'm not really offended but I grew up with the term.

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:43pm
Not really, no. It would be nice to have a specific African country to claim though.

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

LOL and you don't hang around other blacks? So you say colored and negro with your white friendsLOL. Do they also use those terms too?

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:50pm

Yes if a white person would call me that due to the history behind the word . I recall the signs in Woolworth as a child . The sign below from 2012 . I would not check that on a Form . Black would be ok with me .

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:51pm
I say colored and negro but not in front of white people. Wink 

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

I would not check that on a Form . Black would be ok with me .

It piles everyone into one bucket:
Black, African American or Negro

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:54pm
Its on the census forms as well.....its super offensive....

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

I would not check that on a Form . Black would be ok with me .

It piles everyone into one bucket:
Black, African American or Negro

I understand your point , but growing up with that word from white folk as a child made me feel the way i do . JMO

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

I say colored and negro but not in front of white people. Wink 

I see what you did thereWink

Posted By: Senior Detective
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:05pm

ia, idk why we're called black when our skin is brown    its not like they are even shortening it,...... still 5 letters, still one syllable

I think I'm gonna start checking off other

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:10pm
i say negro but naw white cant

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:12pm
it's a term of endearment to me!

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:19pm

No More 'Negro' For Census Bureau Forms And Surveys

by Tanya Ballard Brown

February 25, 2013 1:24 PM

The Census Bureau announced Monday that it would drop the word "Negro" from its forms, after some described it as offensive. According to the Associated Press, the term will be replaced next year by black or African-American. From the AP:

"The change will take effect next year when the Census Bureau distributes its annual American Community Survey to more than 3.5 million U.S. households, Nicholas Jones, chief of the bureau's racial statistics branch, said in an interview."

AP reports that the term was first used in the 1900 Census, and back in 2010, a bureau public information officer told us that the word had been on Census forms since about 1950.

But the bureau and the Census Director's Blog decided to tackle the issue after many African-American people complained about it during the 2010 Census.

"The category 'Black, African Am., or Negro' was used in Census 2000, based on research in the late 1990s that showed there was an older cohort of African-Americans who self-identified as 'Negro.' Surprisingly, about 56,000 persons took the time to write in under the 'some other race' category the word 'Negro.' Above half of them were less than 45 years of age in 2000.

"The Census Bureau didn't do any research on the respondent reaction to the word 'Negro' in the 2000s, but did do tests that showed answers to the ethnicity and race questions tended to change depending on the order of the questions. I think some research on the sensitivity of answers to the presence of 'Negro' should have been done last decade, but I am unaware of what limitations there were on the research program then."

We asked readers what they thought about it at the time, and it was tight. But about 53 percent of those who answered our question seemed to find it OK.

However, Census Bureau research and public feedback turned up different results, so moving forward "Negro" will not be an option.

Question 9 on the first page of the 2010 Census form. After more than a century, the Census Bureau is dropping use of the word "Negro" to describe black Americans in its surveys. Instead of the term, which was popularized during the Jim Crow era of racial segregation, census forms will use "black" or "African-American."   

Question 9 on the first page of the 2010 Census form. After more than a century, the Census Bureau is dropping use of the word "Negro" to describe black Americans in its surveys. Instead of the term, which was popularized during the Jim Crow era of racial segregation, census forms will use "black" or "African-American."

Carolyn Kaster/AP

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:22pm

Frank Matheis
• 11 months ago

While you are at it, remove the asinine reference to "Caucasian." The only people that fit with that are people from the Caucasus mountain regions in western Asia.
You can call me white, European origin, or German, and even French. Just don't call me by that stupid reference from 19th Century pseudoscience, when they divided all of the human race into Caucasian, Negroid and Mongoloid. See how long black people and Asian people put up with that stupidity. Calling all white people "Caucasian" is like referring to them all as "Polish". Only the US still uses this outdated and erroneous reference, based on the now archaic idea that white people (Celtic, Scandinavian, Germanic & Slavic tribes) somehow originated there. Indo-Germanic peoples came from what is today the western part of India. Leave that for the Russians, Turks, Armenians, Azerbajanis and Iranians who live in the Caucasus to be "Caucasians". They are ethnically, physically, and otherwise not representative of all European people.
Even so, it would be like calling the Swiss, Austrians, Italians, Germans and Slovenians as "Alpines".

36 △ 1 ▽   

Share ›

John Varga > Frank Matheis
• 11 months ago

Frank, it's really a matter of semantics at this point since very few people know the origin of the word. But, to your point, I think the term "white" should be eliminated. It really says nothing about socioeconomic status, and it is loaded with racist overtones.

6 △ 2 ▽   

Share ›

Bristol Rosa > John Varga
• 11 months ago

I think the matter of "negro" is semantic as well; it's Spanish for "black."

14 △   ▽   

Share ›

Frank Matheis > John Varga
• 11 months ago

No, I don't mind being called white. My black friends also don't mind being referred to as "black". African-American only fits some people.
We could say : African origin, European origin, and it would sort of fit, but so many people are in between.
The whole concept of "race" is flawed.
I want Caucasian to be eliminated as it is totally erroneous.

10 △   ▽   

Share ›

lamen terms > John Varga
• 11 months ago

oh..............horse manure. so if white is is racist with overtones then so is black and hispanic. being called white is not racist. nor is black or negro. hispanics definition of black is .......ready for it...... negro. a bunch of entitled over sensitve liberals doing what they do best..go call a black brit visiting that he's an african american and see where that gets ya".

6 △ 2 ▽   

Share ›

L H > lamen terms
• 11 months ago

Why do you have to assume that it's "liberals?" Using African American seems weird to me, too, unless you're describing someone who is actually from Africa.

9 △   ▽   

Share ›

Vincent Calabrese > lamen terms
• 11 months ago

Well if he's British then clearly it would be nonsense to call him an American of any kind...

2 △   ▽   

Share ›

Tall Coat > Vincent Calabrese
• 11 months ago

"wannabe American"

1 △   ▽   

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:23pm
I'm more offended by the term African-American. But the term negro has some adverse history as well.

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by trudawg trudawg wrote:

I'm more offended by the term African-American. But the term negro has some adverse history as well.

Why?

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

I find it bizarre that the category for black people only consists of Black, African-American or Negro when the category for Asian breaks down by country. At the least they could break Black down by region of origin, i.e. Afro-Caribbean, African-American, African, so on and so forth,.

Ya it is baffling. I noticed for hispanics/latinos they have Spain, Cuba, Puerto rico etc listed. Don't know why African-Americans and blacks are the only options. 

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:49pm
i wouldn't want to be referred to as such but it doesn't bother me because anyone who is older than 70 probably relates to that term more so than "black" and especially AA.

i read something in the past few years, a latin country, i think PR, just added "negro" to the census, because the old folks wouldn't out themselves as being black otherwise.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:52pm
I'm not checkin off Negro. FOH. If I gotta check off negro, white people better check off cracker. Or at least cousin f*ckers. Stern Smile

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

Ya it is baffling. I noticed for hispanics/latinos they have Spain, Cuba, Puerto rico etc listed. Don't know why African-Americans and blacks are the only options. 

at first i was thinking that maybe it was because whites making those forms don't give a damn and only see black and then i remembered that black americans do the same thing.  anytime a person says theyre from DR, Panama, Jamaica,Guyan or anywhere other than america there always a black american saying "so you still black"LOL

maybe thats why

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

at first i was thinking that maybe it was because whites making those forms don't give a damn and only see black and then i remembered that black americans do the same thing.  anytime a person says theyre from DR, Panama, Jamaica,Guyan or anywhere other than america there always a black american saying "so you still black"LOL

maybe thats why

Maybe LOL
I almost got cut referring to a dominican as hispanic so....

but still I want my country listed if all those asian and latino countries have theirs listed.

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 6:03pm

maybe thats why

Maybe LOL
I almost got cut referring to a dominican as hispanic so....

but still I want my country listed if all those asian and latino countries have theirs listed.

what are they then?

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Senior Detective Senior Detective wrote:

ia, idk why we're called black when our skin is brown   
Don't be coming in here making sense lol

Posted By: zsazsa
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 6:11pm
African or black is fine for me. I have never met one person irl saying negro. It sounds all type of 1896. It would shake me up somebody calling me a negro.

What's wrong with African American? It sounds great!

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by zsazsa zsazsa wrote:

African or black is fine for me. I have never met one person irl saying negro. It sounds all type of 1896. It would shake me up somebody calling me a negro.

great for YOU.  I am jamaican american, where is MY option?Cry

Posted By: Im_oh_so_hott
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 6:22pm

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 6:37pm
Nope. In Spanish it literally translates to black. Yt's have just found a way to give it a negative connotation.

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:04pm

maybe thats why

LOL Truuuuue but from a research standpoint that makes no sense

There may be a lot people who probably answer Other just because that's the only option

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:07pm

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:12pm

black

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:13pm

dgafuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:28pm
this janky site ate my post

but in short, I read the superhead thread & I know how bhm feels about caribbeans

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:29pm
my mom hates the word.
I think I agree.

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:32pm
When provided write-in lines, as much as 50 percent of people who checked their race as "white" wrote in an ethnicity such as Italian, Polish, Arab, Iranian or Middle Eastern. More than 76 percent of black respondents also wrote in an ethnicity, such as Jamaican, Haitian or Ethiopian.

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:33pm
on the next census i'm going to check black/african american and write in "regular"

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:36pm
I hate the term African American...ugh.

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Georgia, Century, Times, serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 21px;">When provided write-in lines, as much as 50 percent of people who checked their race as "white" wrote in an ethnicity such as Italian, Polish, Arab, Iranian or Middle Eastern. More than 76 percent of black respondents also wrote in an ethnicity, such as Jamaican, Haitian or Ethiopian.</span>
<p style="list-style: none; margin: 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; line-height: 21px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-size: 15px; font-family: Georgia, Century, Times, serif;">When provided write-in lines, as much as 50 percent of people who checked their race as "white" wrote in an ethnicity such as Italian, Polish, Arab, Iranian or Middle Eastern. More than 76 percent of black respondents also wrote in an ethnicity, such as Jamaican, Haitian or Ethiopian.

that sh*t kills me how them arabs & mid easterners think their asses are WHITE!!

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:41pm
Idk why people don't like African American.....especially since you are an American of African descent. 

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:42pm

<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Georgia, Century, Times, serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 21px;">When provided write-in lines, as much as 50 percent of people who checked their race as "white" wrote in an ethnicity such as Italian, Polish, Arab, Iranian or Middle Eastern. More than 76 percent of black respondents also wrote in an ethnicity, such as Jamaican, Haitian or Ethiopian.</span>
<p style="list-style: none; margin: 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; line-height: 21px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-size: 15px; font-family: Georgia, Century, Times, serif;">When provided write-in lines, as much as 50 percent of people who checked their race as "white" wrote in an ethnicity such as Italian, Polish, Arab, Iranian or Middle Eastern. More than 76 percent of black respondents also wrote in an ethnicity, such as Jamaican, Haitian or Ethiopian.

that sh*t kills me how them arabs & mid easterners think their asses are WHITE!!

but in the US they are classified as white.  remember that article/thread about that Egyptian guy fighting not to be classified as white because all Egyptians regardless of color are classified here as white.

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:44pm

i wonder what people like hoda kotb consider themselves. she's Egyptian. 

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:48pm
@ Tatee THEY should not be tho, their color is not white or even close to it.

@ nini, technically EVERYBODY in the world is from African descent. I prefer to break it down & simplify

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:49pm
I have an Egyptian friend she considers herself black...and the term Negro is outdated they really should remove it.

Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Sleek Sleek wrote:

I have an Egyptian friend she considers herself black...and the term Negro is outdated they really should remove it.

A lot of North Africans don't, and some even say they are not African at all.  Its pretty interesting.

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:51pm
Bunny if you can tell me which country I come from I'll give you $1mil. 

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Idk why people don't like African American.....especially since you are an American of African descent. 

because it implies we are immigrants. Under that logic, why aren't YT's called European-Americans? Don't get me wrong we are Americans from African descent, however the term isn't equally applied.

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:54pm

@ Tatee THEY should not be tho, their color is not white or even close to it.

@ nini, technically EVERYBODY in the world is from African descent. I prefer to break it down & simplify

this is one of the funniest things about black people.  folks wont claim a person whose biracial as black but will claim every other race based on what happened 25K + years ago.LOL

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:54pm

but in the US they are classified as white.  remember that article/thread about that Egyptian guy fighting not to be classified as white because all Egyptians regardless of color are classified here as white.

aint that a bitch

ot but my coworker is a white dude from Zimbabwe and he always checks black. he got a diversity scholarship to UNC Pinch

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

aint that a bitch

ot but my coworker is a white dude from Zimbabwe and he always checks black. he got a diversity scholarship to UNC Pinch

Stern Smile that sh*t aint even funny

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:55pm
White people are more than happy to claim what country they come from.
We don't know where we come from so we're stuck with a broad term.

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:57pm

Bunny if you can tell me which country I come from I'll give you $1mil. 
do u know or are u still waiting on ur 23 & me results?

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:59pm
I'm still waiting.
You wanna make a guess?

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 8:04pm
lemme go check the map & pick up vibes brb

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Originally posted by Sleek Sleek wrote:

A lot of North Africans don't, and some even say they are not African at all.  Its pretty interesting.
yes I know its rare she is also married to a black man its only when she starts speaking Arabic that I'm reminded that she is Egyptian but she is a concious individual so l wouldn't expect her to think of herself of anything else but the truth she does not seperate Egypt from Africa as most do.

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 8:27pm
Liberia, Ghana,, Guinea, Angola & Mozambique is what I think ur made of

Posted By: Oladunni
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 8:48pm
sooo black people madd about called black.. african american...?
what do ya want to be called...? white people aint really the color white either... what's ya point?
brown is already taken by the indians ...so ya stuck with it...

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 8:57pm
umm, no. tsk tsk tsk, aint u one of them holy rollers too? Remember the song goes, red, yellow, black & white, they are precious in his sight...

Indians & Hispanics are red, orientals are yellow, etc..

Posted By: Oladunni
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 9:10pm
lol i remember debating with a jamaican boy years ago on a bus... because he didn't believe that he was black.. very delusional..

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 9:18pm
I'm fine with black...I don't like the term African-American. You can look at me and tell I'm of African descent, I don't need a whitened "politically correct" term to describe me.

Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 9:30pm
Didn't black people coin the term African American?
But yall would rather be called by a term created by whites?
Is this what I'm reading?

Posted By: 305bgirl
Date Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 9:50pm
If a Black person says it jokingly like, "Negro pleeeease", no. If a White person says it, I'm going off. I prefer Black as opposed to colored or negro. African-American and Afro-Carib is cool depending on your background.

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 11:27am
hell yeah if a white person says it.

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Oladunni Oladunni wrote:

lol i remember debating with a jamaican boy years ago on a bus... because he didn't believe that he was black.. very delusional..
we aren't black & neither are you.  We are all shades of brown.  Looks like ur the one that's delusional, matter of fact, in denialSleepy

vs

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:06pm
if u buy dye  for your hair, there is a difference btw the blk color & the brown coloring.   If you order a black dress & they send you a brown one, are you gonna say "oh well, same thing"  

I dont get why we have to accept that, cuz the slave owners told us to?  Get real, they taught us colors in preschool & I'm not blind.  I know what I see

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Ya'll heifers will disagree just to disagree......

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:12pm

and some ppl just don't accept any old thing thrown at them just cuz everybody else is doing it.  Heaven forbid you've got ur own mind & use it, draw ur own conclusions, use logic & reasonings,& not being gullible

Ermm

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:24pm
i dont really see an issue with black.. 

no, were not really 'black' were brown (most of us at least..) 
just like white people arent actually 'white' 

and i understand ppl who know where they come from being annoyed that there arent more options on things to identify themselves.. theyre typically forced to bunch themselves in a general category...

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:24pm

and some ppl just don't accept any old thing thrown at them just cuz everybody else is doing it.  Heaven forbid you've got ur own mind & use it, draw ur own conclusions, use logic & reasonings,& not being gullible

Ermm

And you can have an opinion Bunny but notice you want everyone else to agree and see why youre always right......complete with back to back multiple post and pictures.....Continue doing the most....

Still debating this shyt what two days later.....you Negros, Niccas, Coloreds, Blacks, and Afro Americans and African-Americans......

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:33pm
if 'black' and 'white' were supposed to be taken literallly.. asians would probably be called white as well.. 

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:34pm
I just have one question......Black folks aint come from Africa?

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:34pm
2 days later?  this op was posted less than 24 hours ago.  pshhh.  ur exaggeration is doing the most.  & I dont want them to agree w/  me.  Just agree with the TRUTH.  I love my color as brown as it is

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

if 'black' and 'white' were supposed to be taken literallly.. asians would probably be called white as well.. 

yellow & peach.  I know u had a box of crayons growing up cokesLOL

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:38pm
but its not supposed to be literal like that bunny.. 

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:40pm
Bunny what term do you like?

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:42pm

everybody did.  but I still prefer to simplify it & break it down by country not continent.  I said this itt yesterday.  european american, african american, asian american, south american american & australian american vs jamaican american, italian american, irish american, brazilian american, korean american, etc...

race is too broad, I like narrowing it down

Ok, I'm done.  got work to do & dinner to cook.  Have a happy sunday allTongue

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:45pm
But you do realize with us thats not so simple.....many have slave roots and don't know anything more than I'm black.....I have African roots and Im american....

how do you narrow it down when most have no idea where they came from? 

or are you just saying that you feel that all the countries or regions should be on these forms? you just like to have the option to identify your ethnicity instead of having to check regular black? 

Jamaican African American, bunny.

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:48pm

I still check the same box u do cuz I dont have a choice.  There is no option for brown or caribbean or west indian.  Maybe it'll take another 100 for america to make that change.  But I also said that I may start checking off other & writing in what I am.

It depends on my mood.  I just wish we as a ppl did not accept that term cuz its not accurate nor is it shorter, so I dont see why its more convenient to call us that.  But we've been conditioned so there it goes

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:52pm

everybody did.  but I still prefer to simplify it & break it down by country not continent.  I said this itt yesterday.  european american, african american, asian american, south american american & australian american vs jamaican american, italian american, irish american, brazilian american, korean american, etc...

arent european-american, african-american, and asian american just as broad as race?  and its all fine for the 1st and 2nd generation americans but people are going to marry out side nationality even if it is within their own racial group.  after a while folks get tired of running down their family tree and just want to use simple terms.

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

how do you narrow it down when most have no idea where they came from? 

or are you just saying that you feel that all the countries or regions should be on these forms? you just like to have the option to identify your ethnicity instead of having to check regular black? 

Q. Ethnicity origin (or Race): Please specify your ethnicity.
  • White
  • Hispanic or Latino
  • Black or African American
  • Native American or American Indian
  • Asian / Pacific Islander
  • Other
these should not be the only choices, also the indians, arabs, pakistani, iraqi, etc should not be white, they shoud have their own too.  but like I said, maybe it'll take another 100 yrs for racist ameikkka to make the change

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:54pm

I still check the same box u do cuz I dont have a choice.  There is no option for brown or caribbean or west indian.  Maybe it'll take another 100 for america to make that change.  But I also said that I may start checking off other & writing in what I am.

It depends on my mood.  I just wish we as a ppl did not accept that term cuz its not accurate nor is it shorter, so I dont see why its more convenient to call us that.  But we've been conditioned so there it goes

the thing is its kinda up for west indians, africans or who ever to change that.  its not an african american problem. 

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:55pm

arent european-american, african-american, and asian american just as broad as race?  and its all fine for the 1st and 2nd generation americans but people are going to marry out side nationality even if it is within their own racial group.  after a while folks get tired of running down their family tree and just want to use simple terms.
that simple term should be brown, but til that day comes, I'm black & I'm proudWink

I really need to go yall. bye

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:56pm
West Indian is such a hilarious term.

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:58pm

Girl.

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 12:59pm
i understand what bunny is saying.. 

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 1:00pm

everything is politically incorrect.  chris columbus fucced it up thinking he was going west to india, but ended up in the caribbean islands.  So we were forced to take that name too.  ion like none of this yt ppl sh*t.  but we gotta accept it cuz we're used to itCry

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 1:03pm
if a clear person called me negro i would probably be in jail so yes it's offensive.

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 1:04pm
My father use to tell us we where Black greek lol . My mother told him to shut the hell up in Madea voice . LOL 

Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by smaison smaison wrote:

if a clear person called me negro i would probably be in jail so yes it's offensive.
I feel the same way .

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jan 12 2014 at 1:29pm
I wish there was a "descendant of slaves" option. I would choose that. But there isn't because white people don't like to be reminded that slavery ever existed. That's why we have these other terms in the first place. If they can't call us nig.gers anytime they want then it's better to erase history altogether.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 12:16am

I wish there was a "descendant of slaves" option. I would choose that. But there isn't because white people don't like to be reminded that slavery ever existed. That's why we have these other terms in the first place. If they can't call us nig.gers anytime they want then it's better to erase history altogether.

I like this.

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 8:16am

Why is that?

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 8:18am
cuz it means western savage. 

Posted By: MzCaliky
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 8:20am
Depends on the context. 

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 8:46am
Originally posted by 305bgirl 305bgirl wrote:

If a Black person says it jokingly like, "Negro pleeeease", no. If a White person says it, I'm going off. I prefer Black as opposed to colored or negro. African-American and Afro-Carib is cool depending on your background.
This

Print Page | Close Window