Print Page | Close Window

Wedding Planning

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367376
Printed Date: Dec 13 2018 at 9:23am

Topic: Wedding Planning
Posted By: Diane (35)
Subject: Wedding Planning
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 12:44pm
You getting married Uppity?Evil Smile

Replies:
Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 12:45pm
What are some things you or someone you know have done to keep wedding cost down?

Posted By: Senior Detective
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 12:51pm
is he nigerian too?

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 12:51pm
Not anytime this year. We're just planning and getting an idea of a potential budget so we can figure out when we'll be able to afford it.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 12:56pm
congrats!!!

he's not footing the whole bill?

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Senior Detective Senior Detective wrote:

is he nigerian too?

Of course.

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

is he nigerian too?

Of course.
just asking cuz I know yall weddings be decked out big & colorful.  idk how to save money with all that comes with a nigerian wedding.  I'm pro elope, I know ur fam aint tryna hear that thoLOL

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

congrats!!!

Thanks, though I'm not officially engaged yet. No, him, his parents, and my parents will contribute, hence the we. I have only my exquisite taste of offer. I'm just a lowly student.

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 1:02pm
u should pm Limalady.  I think I remember her talking about the traditional weddings & posting pics

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 1:08pm
I've helped plan or been in several weddings the last year...

-My sis was going to rent her wedding dress from a place here in la where you rent couture/designer gowns for red carpet events and such. It's actually pretty inexpensive but she ended up buying a dress from someone who had a custom wedding dress made and got a great deal (because it was designed just to fit the one girl so she had to sell it cheap).
-Ordered wedding dress (200$) and bridesmaid dresses (about 100$) from Simply Bridal. I've actually worn my bridesmaid dress like 3 times already so it was a good deal.
-Free officiants (they were family friends).
-Catered it themselves with their favorite foods (ordered from restaurants...for example, indian food for dinner and krispy kreme and sprinkles cupcakes for dessert) and didn't specify they were ordering for a wedding.
-Got the wedding party and friends to pay for stuff (for example, I provided the drinks for one wedding).
-Had small weddings. (One was just parents and siblings...others were less than 100 people total)
-Free venue.
-All my family members had their rings designed by my mom's jeweler...so they got something unique, custom, and for a great price.

The only thing people consistently spent a lot on were photographers/videographers. If memories are important to you, that's one place you don't want to go cheap.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 1:12pm
idk if I've ever heard of a budget Nigerian wedding especially since y'all do 2 ceremonies traditionally
the best way is to have a small wedding but good luck with that as a Nigerian lol

Congratulations and best wishes on your future union!

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 1:12pm

is he nigerian too?

You shouldn't even ask bunny. Den nuh muss.

Congratulations UpittyClapStar

Posted By: just-joy
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 1:20pm
I'm Nigerian and just got married three months ago.  I don't think there's a way to really cut down costs.  What I did, since we had a two day event, was let everyone and their mama came to the trad engagement and was particularly selective with who came to the wedding (still 250, but better then most I know). 

What I find with our weddings since there's mass contribution, it also come with mass opinions, which is very stressful when it comes to planning. 

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I've helped plan or been in several weddings the last year...

-My sis was going to rent her wedding dress from a place here in la where you rent couture/designer gowns for red carpet events and such. It's actually pretty inexpensive but she ended up buying a dress from someone who had a custom wedding dress made and got a great deal (because it was designed just to fit the one girl so she had to sell it cheap).
-Ordered wedding dress (200$) and bridesmaid dresses (about 100$) from Simply Bridal. I've actually worn my bridesmaid dress like 3 times already so it was a good deal.

The only thing people consistently spent a lot on were photographers/videographers. If memories are important to you, that's one place you don't want to go cheap.

I read about sample sales online, but I didn't know about renting a dress. I will look in how much that costs. Thanks!

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

idk if I've ever heard of a budget Nigerian wedding especially since y'all do 2 ceremonies traditionally
the best way is to have a small wedding but good luck with that as a Nigerian lol

3 ceremonies

Thanks!

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by just-joy just-joy wrote:

I'm Nigerian and just got married three months ago.  I don't think there's a way to really cut down costs.  What I did, since we had a two day event, was let everyone and their mama came to the trad engagement and was particularly selective with who came to the wedding (still 250, but better then most I know).

What I find with our weddings since there's mass contribution, it also come with mass opinions, which is very stressful when it comes to planning. 

This was my mom's suggestion. I wanted to keep both at a max of 200, but you know Nigerians.

Congrats on becoming a newlywed.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 1:48pm
i was gonna say pm ITD... but hers probably isnt budget friendly.. 
id love to hear the details of her wedding though 

anyways.. i got nothin. 
congrats though 

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 1:53pm
I don't envy you...cultural expectations can be extra. As long as no one's going into debt over it, I say just enjoy yourself and don't worry about the money. My sis married someone from a culture where wedding festivities usually last a week, have several ceremonies, and the whole tribe/clan/village is expected to be invited, accommodated, and fed. They did the complete opposite and were happy about it.

Thank god I don't have to deal with that...I'll be rolling to the courthouse in my pj's to sign the paperwork and then ordering pizza and getting back in bed.

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 1:53pm

3 ceremonies

Thanks!

lol I remember when my friend was planning her wedding...she was going to have a ceremony in America, Nigeria and in Italy [he is Italian]

Nigerian and Indian weddings go HARD

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 2:49pm
what kind of monetary gifts r u expecting?  $100, 200, 250 check in a card?Confused

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 3:14pm

gurrrrrrlllllll....

s/o and i have been going back and forth on this. his nigerian ass wants a big ass wedding and i want like a 60 ppl max wedding...we ain't never getting married.

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 3:18pm
unofficial congratulations

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 3:19pm

what kind of monetary gifts r u expecting?  $100, 200, 250 check in a card?Confused

I never "expect" any kind of gift for an event. I just want it to be fun.

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

unofficial congratulations

Thanks.

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I don't envy you...cultural expectations can be extra. As long as no one's going into debt over it, I say just enjoy yourself and don't worry about the money. My sis married someone from a culture where wedding festivities usually last a week, have several ceremonies, and the whole tribe/clan/village is expected to be invited, accommodated, and fed. They did the complete opposite and were happy about it.

Thank god I don't have to deal with that...I'll be rolling to the courthouse in my pj's to sign the paperwork and then ordering pizza and getting back in bed.

...girl

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 4:50pm
The bulk of the budget is the reception......cut your comers there......the paper things can be DIY as well as the favors.....find a friend of a friend to do your photography....

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 5:04pm
Just found this. DIY bouquets. Flowers are expensive. I will avoid them all together. Thank God I'm artistic.

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by smaison smaison wrote:

gurrrrrrlllllll....

s/o and i have been going back and forth on this. his nigerian ass wants a big ass wedding and i want like a 60 ppl max wedding...we ain't never getting married.

my LS is marrying a Nigerian boy and their wedding will be about 50 people
but he's 1/2 Nigerian so maybe that's why they're getting away with a small wedding

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 5:18pm

well how much is appropriate or acceptable?

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 5:43pm

Originally posted by smaison smaison wrote:

gurrrrrrlllllll....

my LS is marrying a Nigerian boy and their wedding will be about 50 people
but he's 1/2 Nigerian so maybe that's why they're getting away with a small wedding

Yeah, he's probably very far removed from the culture. I have more than 50 cousins so that kind of wedding is impossible.

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 5:46pm

well how much is appropriate or acceptable?

Well many of my friends are in grad school or still starting out so honestly participating (travelling to the wedding, purchasing a bridesmaids dress, etc.) is all I expect from them. I'd rather them invest in participating in the wedding than give me money or a gift and not be part of it.

Older people, its really based on income. Most Nigerians don't give gifts, they spray money at the reception and/or give you additional money. Most people spray $20-$50 depending on how much they dance and give you $100-$500 extra.

I'm not really familiar with what's considered an acceptable amount.

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 5:48pm
congrats!!

I went to my friend's budget Nigerian wedding that I thought was really nice...but she said all the elders were pissed off that she didn't have the kola nut and there was a cash bar. People actually called her classless and tacky at the reception! Nigerians go so hard lol

So my only advice is make sure all the basics are there and cut the fat in other areas

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 5:53pm
the only thing i can think of is a destination wedding....

is there an 'expectation' to attend weddings in Nigerian cultures regardless of where it is? ex-if you have your wedding in Hawaii...what percentage of those 50 cousins would come?

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

the only thing i can think of is a destination wedding....

is there an 'expectation' to attend weddings in Nigerian cultures regardless of where it is? ex-if you have your wedding in Hawaii...what percentage of those 50 cousins would come?

Nope. I also considered the destination thing because it keeps the nosey people away. Then again, travelling for the wedding is fun for them too, so who knows, lol.

That's why I started the thread, b/c my bf was asking when we realistically would be ready to start the planning and obviously that's dependent on how much it will cost. I know it will be a lot but I just like to minimize any avoidable expenses for the main 2 ceremonies.

Lets see I have 4 1st cousins on my mom's side living here. The total of them their spouses and kids comes to 19. They will all definitely come. I have 2 1st cousins on my dads side and the total with their families is 6 so that's 25. I'm confident at least 10 of the ones in Nigeria and England will come, so with their spouses and children, I'm already over 50 people.

Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

congrats!!

I went to my friend's budget Nigerian wedding that I thought was really nice...but she said all the elders were pissed off that she didn't have the kola nut and there was a cash bar. People actually called her classless and tacky at the reception! Nigerians go so hard lol

So my only advice is make sure all the basics are there and cut the fat in other areas

How rude.

Posted By: purple.chuckz
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 6:08pm
Guuurrrlllll. I would rather elope and use the money towards a house, but my parents REALLY REALLY want a wedding. 
My mother even told me to just find myself a nice apartment. I am checking out ebay for white dresses, but will also have an African print dress made for me. Check out interests for ideas and bridal expos. I have recruited friends and my SIL for tips. 

Don't do a cash bar. As a fellow African, if it's a small event, avoid the cash bar. 

Posted By: ragincajin
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 7:11pm
Congrats!!!

I know you won't like this, but in Beaver Creek, after getting your license, you can marry yourselves! Seriously. This is wonderful for second marriages, may not work for firsts.

Weddings there are prohibitively expensive, but can done on a shoestring if you're smart and plan ahead- even in high season.

You can get a local minister if you like.
Then invite immediate family, get a nice cake from a local bakery, have ceremony, go to dinner in the village.

$700 bucks max without air!
It's the lodging that will kill you :(

http://www.beavercreek.com/groups/weddings-winter.aspx

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 7:51pm
Congrats (in advance)!!

I have no suggestions, just congrats!!

You will get blessed with plentiful returns.

My sister is doing a destination wedding this summer. My parents struggled for a while with accepting her decision. Her Fiance is not Nigerian though. She will have her traditional here.

One of my girlfriends (I'm in the bridal party) already has a HUGE invite only + no kids guest list for her white wedding in May. The traditional will be a free for all attendance.

Posted By: Im_oh_so_hott
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 7:54pm
What $ amount would you like to stay under ?

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 10:25pm
Congrats!!!Party
I don't know anything about Nigerian customs so can't help you there.  We did look at several places but ended up marrying at my church and having the reception there which did save us alot
of money (membership discount FTW, LOL)  I had a wedding planner and her connections saved us much money as well.
Had my extended family be attendents/runners for help which was great.  Finally its ok to cut costs as much as possible--save your money for the honeymoon!!

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 10:38pm
I don't know nothin' bout no Nigerian weddings but congrats! I'm sure it will go smoothly especially with the extra advice from the ladies here.Beer

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 10:51pm
Congrats Uppity....When I did mine we rented a huge hall and the church was upstairs from the hall. When you do a Nigeria wedding i'm sorry but no matter how you try and slim it down you really don't want to offend anyone either. We just sent invitations out to everyone. Some will show and some will not. All close friends and family contributed before the wedding. I didn't ask everyone just calls you up and asks you what do you want me to take care of. Then the aunties that bleached will ask you to list all the items that haven't been paid for so they can distribute it amongst the other relatives and rich uncles. Uppity don't stress everyone chips in one way or another. I was debt free after my wedding and walked home with trash bags of money from spraying. 

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Congrats Uppity....When I did mine we rented a huge hall and the church was upstairs from the hall. When you do a Nigeria wedding i'm sorry but no matter how you try and slim it down you really don't want to offend anyone either. We just sent invitations out to everyone. Some will show and some will not. All close friends and family contributed before the wedding. I didn't ask everyone just calls you up and asks you what do you want me to take care of. Then the aunties that bleached will ask you to list all the items that haven't been paid for so they can distribute it amongst the other relatives and rich uncles. Uppity don't stress everyone chips in one way or another. I was debt free after my wedding and walked home with trash bags of money from spraying. 

icannot. LOL

Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 6:18am
One thing I hate about going to Nigerian weddings is they take so daggone long then you have to wait to be fed. I always try and sneak to get a seat near the food cos they call by tables....You always get those fat uncles that take 12 meats on purpose. Nicca they said take some and move on to the next tray....LOLCry

That was the greedy talking in me.....Carry on.

Posted By: jdoriginal
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 7:38am

I am planning a wedding right now and JESUS LORD it is expensive. In addition I am planning it from afar without a coordinator and none of my bridesmaids are nearby. I am not one of those ppl who dreamed about this day from childhood and would have been happy with a gorg dress, amazing ring, and my father walking me down the aisle infront of 20 ppl followed by a lunch. But noooooo! My groom wanted a big party! Me, if I am doing the whole shebang, I want it classy. No community centre reception and DIY decor (unless I actually had family/ friends who did decor for a living).

Anyway on to your question...( may not necessarily apply to Nigerian weddings...

Ways to cut cost:

1. Prioritise elements of wedding and cut costs on those things falling at the bottom:

Top 3 priorities were food/ drinks, decor and ambiance.  Bottom 3 were favours, transport and paper elements (menus/ programmes etc) As such, I'm going to either do my paper elements or have them made as cheap as possible, my groom got a friend with access to a few nice cars to get a deal on that for us (so no limo or vintage cars) and I am trying to find cheap (but practical) favours. Some ppl cut out favours entirely.

2. Cut back on cost of dress:

Though a beautiful dress was important to me I decided to be practical and face the fact that I wont be wearing it for more than 8 hours and even less if my mom has her way (she wants me to change for the reception). I bought my dress from a Chinese vendor Dressilyme.com that does knock offs or can create a dress from pics you send. It's a simple lace dress and didnt look exactly like the picture I sent but I paid $350 USD+ shipping to the Caribbean when the real one costs about $1200 USD.  I intend to jazz it up by getting custom made jewellery from a local designer for about $160 USD.  You can also check out another chinese vendor called Jasmine's. I didnt buy from them because they are more expensive and take longer to make the dress but the work is better. You can also buy preownded dresses or rent them

3. Tap into your DIY side:

I did not have much confidence in my creative side but I thought to myself that in this day of Google where EVERYTHING you need to know is online I should at least try. So I decided to make a flower and brooch bouquet. Got a lot of compliments on it, so I decided to make my brides maids bouquet, boutonnieres etc. They are satisfactory and cost like 1/3 of fresh bouquets. My groom even told me that I could actually do this on the side with more practise :).

4. Keep guest list down:

I have a large family and the groom has a lot of friends. It's been a struggle. We are losing the battle but still trying to keep our list at 130.

5. Utilise friends with talents:

My MCs will be one of his friends and one of mine. DJ is a friend of his. Videographer is a friend of mine. Try to find friends to make the cake, do your favours, co-ordinate etc.

6. Utilise networks:

I didnt have any to use but my cousin's reception was held at a hall owned by the social club his father was member of. Think he got it at half off.

7. Use up and coming vendors:

If you are willing to take the risk, hire people who are relatively new to the industry. My photographer is not one of the big names in my country but he also charged 2/3 what they did.  I can see from his facebook that he is not AS good but good enough for my requirements plus he is getting better at each wedding. Also up and coming people are more open to ideas and give 110% because they are trying to build a client base.  Do your research though. I found a potential day coordinator that was only about 2 yrs in the business and charging 1/2 of what others were. I found one of her recent clients on facebook and also a friend had her as a friend and they both said the same thing : she is NOT the most organised. So research research research first!

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 7:56am
Congratulations Uppity! Heart

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 8:50am
Awwww congrats!

I'm lurking...my bf woke up on NYE wanting to go to the justice of the peace. I already found the ring he's been trying to "hide", so I know it's coming soon.

I agree with those who said self-catering. I think food can quickly drive the wedding costs up. Just make sure the food is good.

DIY decorations and gifts, they're more personal and you can tweak them to your liking.

Don't settle because you don't want many regrets on your wedding day. BUT, try to find the happy medium between what you want and what's affordable.

Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 9:55am

congrats!!!

Thanks, though I'm not officially engaged yet. No, him, his parents, and my parents will contribute, hence the we. I have only my exquisite taste of offer. I'm just a lowly student.

I'm confused by "not officially engaged yet" Is it like he already asked and you said yes but it's not official until he asks your parents for your hand in marriage and they give their blessings type of thing.

Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 10:00am
Oh Congrats....

Oh, I had a friend get married on a Sunday and another on a Friday evening. Both said the venues were cheaper.    

Also, are you looking a particular month some things a cheaper based on the season.

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 10:04am
^^If you had to choose between Sunday and Fri evening, I say choose Sunday. I went to a Fri evening wedding and trying to scurry to another city after work to get dressed in time for everything was too hectic.

Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 10:07am
I am actually planning to hold the traditional wedding on a Friday evening and the white wedding on a Sunday. My friend's bf says it makes you look cheap but me and my bf have agreed that we're fine with that.

Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by QueenBee QueenBee wrote:

congrats!!!

I'm confused by "not officially engaged yet" Is it like he already asked and you said yes but it's not official until he asks your parents for your hand in marriage and they give their blessings type of thing.

He wants to marry me when he has enough money to do it. He hasn't proposed because he doesn't want to unless he has a significant amount of money to contribute towards the wedding.

Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 10:12am

I am actually planning to hold the traditional wedding on a Friday evening and the white wedding on a Sunday. My friend's bf says it makes you look cheap but me and my bf have agreed that we're fine with that.

What part is cheap uppity the skipping the Saturday part?? Normally you do the engagement on Friday, have the wedding on Saturday and do the thanksgiving in church on Sunday. A typical 3 day affair. Mind you there are different outfits everyone has to wear on each day with a color scheme for those that are not familiar with Nigerian weddings.

Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 10:12am

I'm gonna tell me my boo this. That seems to be the trend. I do remember my older cousins telling me that they have plans for my wedding and they ware willing to put down the cash to make it happen. He is kind of proud though, but he'll get over it. It is the culture.

Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 10:15am

What part is cheap uppity the skipping the Saturday part?? Normally you do the engagement on Friday, have the wedding on Saturday and do the thanksgiving in church on Sunday. A typical 3 day affair. Mind you there are different outfits everyone has to wear on each day with a color scheme for those that are not familiar with Nigerian weddings.

Yeah, they are engaged (both Igbo), so I suggested they do one or both ceremonies on a day other than Sat since my friend has been stressed finding affordable halls in Dallas. She liked the idea, but he said it makes them look cheap. Different strokes I guess...

Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 10:18am

He wants to marry me when he has enough money to do it. He hasn't proposed because he doesn't want to unless he has a significant amount of money to contribute towards the wedding.

Awwww, that's sweet. He's a keeper Uppity.. QB loves a money saving/ budget conscious man.

Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 10:23am
Its a family affair....We all getting married. Everyone wants or will contribute something. The guest gifts are thebomb though when you go to Nigerian weddings. You'll go home with cups, plates, wall clocks, fans, buckets, beach towels, calendars, folding chairs lmaooooooooo everything has the couples pics on it and specifically STATES DONATED FROM SO and SO FAMILYLOL. They want you to know who made it and donated it to the bride and groom.

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 5:18pm

Yeah, they are engaged (both Igbo), so I suggested they do one or both ceremonies on a day other than Sat since my friend has been stressed finding affordable halls in Dallas. She liked the idea, but he said it makes them look cheap. Different strokes I guess...

If you're in Dallas...try looking in outlying areas like Addison, Arlington or Plano. 

Posted By: Lonisha87
Date Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 5:42pm
I planned mine. It was hard and stressful. Out parents contributed a lot. His Mom paid for the hall at the hotel, his dad bought half the drinks an they cooked. My mom cooked as well and made half the drinks, my husband and I gave a lot of money for food and everything else and paid for our own clothes and things. Both families contributed to some decor and his aunt provided all lines and tableware for free. It was a blessing really.

Posted By: alynxx
Date Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 6:43pm
Congrats Uppity! I'm still not engaged so no advice from me...Cry

Print Page | Close Window