Print Page | Close Window

do any of you get stares wearing kinky straight?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Hair Care
Forum Name: Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
Forum Description: Discussions on Weaves / Extensions (for Newbies)
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367363
Printed Date: Feb 19 2018 at 10:56pm


Topic: do any of you get stares wearing kinky straight?
Posted By: cupcakeroad
Subject: do any of you get stares wearing kinky straight?
Date Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 9:45pm
by it being so natural looking I wouldn't think it would attract so many stares. I caught a white woman stand behind me staring at my hair...it makes me angry and I want to lash out. weaves are not uncommon. but why does something so natural attract even more attention?



Replies:
Posted By: imfunsized
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 2:26am
When I wore my kinky straight everyone thought it was mine and told how pretty and long it was. I just said thank and kept it moving lol, I've never received negative attention over my weaves tho. Most assume it's my real hair lol.


Posted By: cupcakeroad
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 2:36am
Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

When I wore my kinky straight everyone thought it was mine and told how pretty and long it was. I just said thank and kept it moving lol, I've never received negative attention over my weaves tho. Most assume it's my real hair lol.
do you have a light complexion?


Posted By: imfunsized
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 4:27am
No, I'm brown skinned.

Why do you think that has something to do with you being stared at?


Posted By: cupcakeroad
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 9:13am
Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

No, I'm brown skinned.

Why do you think that has something to do with you being stared at?
yes. I mean it was completely flat, natural with no tracks showing. there's no other reason


Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 9:40am
Sorry, but I think people stare because either the length is too long, the texture or the color of the hair is 'off'. What's natural to you .. might not read as natural to other people.

Everyone looks different so any of the 3 points above look great on one person and off on another. But there's probably something about the look that reads false or unnatural.

No need in lashing out or getting mad at everyone you think is staring at your hair. Ihat will just make is seem like something is wrong about you on the inside as well.What are you gonna tell the cops when they arrest you .. that you were mad at that person staring at your hair?

My advice is to ask for someone's honest opinion. No, it can't be someone that's afraid hurt your feelings or someone wearing the same hair .. but someone neutral.

You could post a pic on this board .. (but people can be mean so if it looks very fake they might say mean things. )

In the end - it's your head so if the look is off and you don't correct it because like it ... you will have to get used to people staring.

That's it.


Posted By: imfunsized
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 12:04pm
Hmmmm, if anyone is making you uncomfortable you have the right to say something. She most likely was wondering if it was your real hair, no matter the complexion of your skin it assumed that most of "us" wear weave. With it being a kinky straight texture it most likely looks very believable, so this may be why she was standing so close to you examining your head. Smh you have the right tell people to back away from you tho especially if it is making you uncomfortable, I disagree with the above poster, but I have my suspicions about her anyway but whatever lol. Would you mind posting pics, you can block out your face.


Posted By: cupcakeroad
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Sorry, but I think people stare because either the length is too long, the texture or the color of the hair is 'off'. What's natural to you .. might not read as natural to other people.

Everyone looks different so any of the 3 points above look great on one person and off on another. But there's probably something about the look that reads false or unnatural.

No need in lashing out or getting mad at everyone you think is staring at your hair. Ihat will just make is seem like something is wrong about you on the inside as well.What are you gonna tell the cops when they arrest you .. that you were mad at that person staring at your hair?

My advice is to ask for someone's honest opinion. No, it can't be someone that's afraid hurt your feelings or someone wearing the same hair .. but someone neutral.

You could post a pic on this board .. (but people can be mean so if it looks very fake they might say mean things. )

In the end - it's your head so if the look is off and you don't correct it because like it ... you will have to get used to people staring.

That's it.


the kinky straight is the same color as my real hair. black. is 18 inches too long for a brown woman? Im upset because it seems that the only way to stop the stares is to go bald


Posted By: ms.blue
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 2:36pm
White people are just amazed about our hair so she could very well been thinking how beautiful your hair is...no need to get upset.


Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by cupcakeroad cupcakeroad wrote:

Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Sorry, but I think people stare because either the length is too long, the texture or the color of the hair is 'off'. What's natural to you .. might not read as natural to other people.

Everyone looks different so any of the 3 points above look great on one person and off on another. But there's probably something about the look that reads false or unnatural.

No need in lashing out or getting mad at everyone you think is staring at your hair. Ihat will just make is seem like something is wrong about you on the inside as well.What are you gonna tell the cops when they arrest you .. that you were mad at that person staring at your hair?

My advice is to ask for someone's honest opinion. No, it can't be someone that's afraid hurt your feelings or someone wearing the same hair .. but someone neutral.

You could post a pic on this board .. (but people can be mean so if it looks very fake they might say mean things. )

In the end - it's your head so if the look is off and you don't correct it because like it ... you will have to get used to people staring.

That's it.


the kinky straight is the same color as my real hair. black. is 18 inches too long for a brown woman? Im upset because it seems that the only way to stop the stares is to go bald


I am not color struck so I don't think the color of your 'skin' is an issue.The length could be an issue .. just depends on how it looks on you.

I don't think every length looks right on every woman especially with Black women because we all look so very different. Wearing long hair .. just for the sake of wearing long hair doesn't work for a lot of women - black or white. There are some links on the net that tell you what length of hair you should wear for your face 'shape'. So I remember it saying if you have a long face .. you shouldn't wear long hair because it drags the face down etc. It has to be cut at chin length to help widen your face. Of course, I don't know how you look. Check it out.

For examaple. Gabby Union (has an oval face) wears 18 - 20 inches (I am guessing) and even though it's not kinky straight .. it really does look like her hair. (Of course she can afford the best weave person money can buy.)

I assume it's not just the 1 White lady staring at your head?

In my experience if your hair looks believeable and nice .. people don't stare they just glance and are on their way but if people are 'always' staring .. something is up. What are you gonna turn around and 'confront' every female you find staring at your head? What kind of life will that be?

I don't think you have to go bald though ... you just have to figure it out and correct it.

Ask someone neutral.


Posted By: cupcakeroad
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Originally posted by cupcakeroad cupcakeroad wrote:

Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Sorry, but I think people stare because either the length is too long, the texture or the color of the hair is 'off'. What's natural to you .. might not read as natural to other people.

Everyone looks different so any of the 3 points above look great on one person and off on another. But there's probably something about the look that reads false or unnatural.

No need in lashing out or getting mad at everyone you think is staring at your hair. Ihat will just make is seem like something is wrong about you on the inside as well.What are you gonna tell the cops when they arrest you .. that you were mad at that person staring at your hair?

My advice is to ask for someone's honest opinion. No, it can't be someone that's afraid hurt your feelings or someone wearing the same hair .. but someone neutral.

You could post a pic on this board .. (but people can be mean so if it looks very fake they might say mean things. )

In the end - it's your head so if the look is off and you don't correct it because like it ... you will have to get used to people staring.

That's it.


the kinky straight is the same color as my real hair. black. is 18 inches too long for a brown woman? Im upset because it seems that the only way to stop the stares is to go bald


I am not color struck so I don't think the color of your 'skin' is an issue.
The length could an issue .. just depends on how it looks on you.

I don't think every length looks right on every woman especially with Black women because we all look so very different. For examaple . Gabby Union wears 18 - 20 inches (I am guessing) and even though it's not kinky straight .. it really does look like her hair. (Of course she can afford the best weave person)

I assume it's not just the 1 White lady staring at your head?
In my experience if your hair looks believeable and nice .. people don't stare .. they just glance and are on their way. If people are 'always' staring .. something is up.

I don't think you have to go bald though ... you just have to figure it out and correct it because it must be 'something' .. if people are staring.

Ask someone neutral.


I'm frustrated. I'm so tired of hearing ppl complain about black women's hair looking fake so I spend hundreds of dollars on kinkystraigt which looks natural and people will not stop inspecting my scalp. its not like I'm wearing doll hair. what do they want me to do? have short hair so I wont have a bunch of inspector gadgets in my head all the time. Im tired of this. every other race can have long hair and its normal but on me I'm looked at like a science project.


Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by cupcakeroad cupcakeroad wrote:

Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Originally posted by cupcakeroad cupcakeroad wrote:

Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Sorry, but I think people stare because either the length is too long, the texture or the color of the hair is 'off'. What's natural to you .. might not read as natural to other people.

Everyone looks different so any of the 3 points above look great on one person and off on another. But there's probably something about the look that reads false or unnatural.

No need in lashing out or getting mad at everyone you think is staring at your hair. Ihat will just make is seem like something is wrong about you on the inside as well.What are you gonna tell the cops when they arrest you .. that you were mad at that person staring at your hair?

My advice is to ask for someone's honest opinion. No, it can't be someone that's afraid hurt your feelings or someone wearing the same hair .. but someone neutral.

You could post a pic on this board .. (but people can be mean so if it looks very fake they might say mean things. )

In the end - it's your head so if the look is off and you don't correct it because like it ... you will have to get used to people staring.

That's it.


the kinky straight is the same color as my real hair. black. is 18 inches too long for a brown woman? Im upset because it seems that the only way to stop the stares is to go bald


I am not color struck so I don't think the color of your 'skin' is an issue.
The length could an issue .. just depends on how it looks on you.

I don't think every length looks right on every woman especially with Black women because we all look so very different. For examaple . Gabby Union wears 18 - 20 inches (I am guessing) and even though it's not kinky straight .. it really does look like her hair. (Of course she can afford the best weave person)

I assume it's not just the 1 White lady staring at your head?
In my experience if your hair looks believeable and nice .. people don't stare .. they just glance and are on their way. If people are 'always' staring .. something is up.

I don't think you have to go bald though ... you just have to figure it out and correct it because it must be 'something' .. if people are staring.

Ask someone neutral.


I'm frustrated. I'm so tired of hearing ppl complain about black women's hair looking fake so I spend hundreds of dollars on kinkystraigt which looks natural and people will not stop inspecting my scalp. its not like I'm wearing doll hair. what do they want me to do? have short hair so I wont have a bunch of inspector gadgets in my head all the time. Im tired of this. every other race can have long hair and its normal but on me I'm looked at like a science project.


Well, the sad truth is .. a lot of Black women DO wear long straight hair that is not believable. I see it everyday - I don't stare .. I just try to get away from them. :)

BTW, Black people can grow the same length of hair as everyone else IF we wear it in the natural form. That's the thing. White, Asian etc people are wearing their hair in it's NATURAL FORM so it it hangs down.

But our hair does not hang down in it's natural form and in an effort to emulate that look yes, it breaks off so .. then people say 'black people can't grow long hair'. :( Wrong. You just have to leave it alone.

Sorry for trouble ... but you need to discover what if off about your head rather than harboring this resentment that 'all the other races can wear long hair'.

That´s not gonna get you anywhere ... and you have a long life to live wearing hair that people are staring at. :(


Posted By: cupcakeroad
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Originally posted by cupcakeroad cupcakeroad wrote:

Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Originally posted by cupcakeroad cupcakeroad wrote:

Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Sorry, but I think people stare because either the length is too long, the texture or the color of the hair is 'off'. What's natural to you .. might not read as natural to other people.

Everyone looks different so any of the 3 points above look great on one person and off on another. But there's probably something about the look that reads false or unnatural.

No need in lashing out or getting mad at everyone you think is staring at your hair. Ihat will just make is seem like something is wrong about you on the inside as well.What are you gonna tell the cops when they arrest you .. that you were mad at that person staring at your hair?

My advice is to ask for someone's honest opinion. No, it can't be someone that's afraid hurt your feelings or someone wearing the same hair .. but someone neutral.

You could post a pic on this board .. (but people can be mean so if it looks very fake they might say mean things. )

In the end - it's your head so if the look is off and you don't correct it because like it ... you will have to get used to people staring.

That's it.


the kinky straight is the same color as my real hair. black. is 18 inches too long for a brown woman? Im upset because it seems that the only way to stop the stares is to go bald


I am not color struck so I don't think the color of your 'skin' is an issue.
The length could an issue .. just depends on how it looks on you.

I don't think every length looks right on every woman especially with Black women because we all look so very different. For examaple . Gabby Union wears 18 - 20 inches (I am guessing) and even though it's not kinky straight .. it really does look like her hair. (Of course she can afford the best weave person)

I assume it's not just the 1 White lady staring at your head?
In my experience if your hair looks believeable and nice .. people don't stare .. they just glance and are on their way. If people are 'always' staring .. something is up.

I don't think you have to go bald though ... you just have to figure it out and correct it because it must be 'something' .. if people are staring.

Ask someone neutral.


I'm frustrated. I'm so tired of hearing ppl complain about black women's hair looking fake so I spend hundreds of dollars on kinkystraigt which looks natural and people will not stop inspecting my scalp. its not like I'm wearing doll hair. what do they want me to do? have short hair so I wont have a bunch of inspector gadgets in my head all the time. Im tired of this. every other race can have long hair and its normal but on me I'm looked at like a science project.


Well, the sad truth is .. a lot of Black women DO wear long straight hair that is not believable. I see it everyday - I don't stare .. I just try to get away from them. :)

BTW, Black people can grow the same length of hair as everyone else IF we wear it in the natural form. That's the thing. White, Asian etc people are wearing their hair in it's NATURAL FORM so it it hangs down.

But our hair does not hang down in it's natural form and in an effort to emulate that look yes, it breaks off so .. then people say 'black people can't grow long hair'. :( Wrong. You just have to leave it alone.

Sorry for trouble ... but you need to discover what if off about your head rather than harboring this resentment that 'all the other races can wear long hair'.

That´s not gonna get you anywhere ... and you have a long life to live wearing hair that people are staring at. :(

I can't get hair any more natural than kinkystraight. I'm not wearing long, silky straight doll hair so I don't know what else it could be? My hair isn't blonde or bright red. It's black like my natural hair color and blends in, so why the staring sometimes? why are people inspecting my scalp? I'm very frustrated and upset.


Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 4:50pm
Like I said though .. it may not be the TEXTURE itself. You shouldn't fixate on the texture because that may not be it - there may be something else or a combination of factors.

Btw - the most natural texture IS the afro/kinky texture .. which will look 100% more like your real hair. I don't understand why you did not mention this.

This is really the most natural you can go .. but .. again A LOT of Black women want to straighten their hair ... which is the kinky straight look basically. :(

(btw - I wear the afro/curly look .. and noooooobody is trying to figure out my head. Even if people think it's fake... they will think I am wearing fake hair that pretty much looks just like my real hair ... which really takes the edge off. :)

See these modern Afros! :) Parlez vou Francais?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjZs2FH6PQE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLxmpjmj9R8

Not saying you have to wear an afro .. but THAT is the most natural hair texture you can wear and it is an option. :)


Posted By: ms.blue
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 5:56pm
Also why are you so worried about what another person thinks about your hair? Unless you can read minds or the people vocalized their thoughts about your hair, you shouldn't even care.


Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 6:02pm
Good point.

(I suspect the OP is getting TOO MANY stares such that it starts to get uncomfortable.)


Posted By: juicifruit89
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 6:17pm
Maybe the thickness of the Kinky Straight? Sometimes if you have more than 1.5 packs in your head, it can look overwhelming. Is it shaped/thinned out and layered?


Posted By: cupcakeroad
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Like I said though .. it may not be the TEXTURE itself. You shouldn't fixate on the texture because that may not be it - there may be something else or a combination of factors.

Btw - the most natural texture IS the afro/kinky texture .. which will look 100% more like your real hair. I don't understand why you did not mention this.

This is really the most natural you can go .. but .. again A LOT of Black women want to straighten their hair ... which is the kinky straight look basically. :(

(btw - I wear the afro/curly look .. and noooooobody is trying to figure out my head. Even if people think it's fake... they will think I am wearing fake hair that pretty much looks just like my real hair ... which really takes the edge off. :)

See these modern Afros! :) Parlez vou Francais?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjZs2FH6PQE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLxmpjmj9R8

Not saying you have to wear an afro .. but THAT is the most natural hair texture you can wear and it is an option. :)


so a black woman with hair that mimcs her own hair that is relaxed warrants stares? not everybody wants the afro look. I don't really like it.


Posted By: ragincajin
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 8:30pm
...I had a fro...
I was six.
Has anyone seen it?
I'd like it back.
All that thick, lush, non-permed hair.
What I wouldn't trade to see those days again.
Enjoy. They probably have always been curious and want to know what your hair feels like.

Look at this YT clip.
People wanted to touch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbDgxJNIAVM


Posted By: cupcakeroad
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by ragincajin ragincajin wrote:

...I had a fro...
I was six.
Has anyone seen it?
I'd like it back.
All that thick, lush, non-permed hair.
What I wouldn't trade to see those days again.
Enjoy. They probably have always been curious and want to know what your hair feels like.

Look at this YT clip.
People wanted to touch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbDgxJNIAVM
So what? I like the kinky straight. Sure its not an afro, but it mimics my hair when straightened. I don't like Afros, it ages me


Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by cupcakeroad cupcakeroad wrote:

Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

When I wore my kinky straight everyone thought it was mine and told how pretty and long it was. I just said thank and kept it moving lol, I've never received negative attention over my weaves tho. Most assume it's my real hair lol.
do you have a light complexion?


ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused


Posted By: ragincajin
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 8:40pm
I looovvveee KS.
Heaven help the Chinese invent more new and inventive ways to take my money.

"We have best hair. Cheap price. It looka lika you. You buy. You buy!!"

LOL!!


Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 8:41pm
Maybe its your install Shocked, and this is not said to try and throw shade but I see it all the time. You should get a second opinion from a unbiased party,,,


Posted By: imfunsized
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

Originally posted by cupcakeroad cupcakeroad wrote:

Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

When I wore my kinky straight everyone thought it was mine and told how pretty and long it was. I just said thank and kept it moving lol, I've never received negative attention over my weaves tho. Most assume it's my real hair lol.
do you have a light complexion?



ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused


Lmaooo! I was thrown by that as well.


Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

Originally posted by cupcakeroad cupcakeroad wrote:

Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

When I wore my kinky straight everyone thought it was mine and told how pretty and long it was. I just said thank and kept it moving lol, I've never received negative attention over my weaves tho. Most assume it's my real hair lol.
do you have a light complexion?



ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused


Lmaooo! I was thrown by that as well.

After that I could not take anything said serious......CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry

Sorry I just don't believe that just because you have kinky straight hair people are staring. It is more to the story that just your hair texture. If it looks that realistic people would just think or say your have some pretty hair or look and keep going.

Staring is something different and its usually not good. Pics or it didnt happen.


Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 3:26am
Originally posted by cupcakeroad cupcakeroad wrote:

Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Like I said though .. it may not be the TEXTURE itself. You shouldn't fixate on the texture because that may not be it - there may be something else or a combination of factors.

Btw - the most natural texture IS the afro/kinky texture .. which will look 100% more like your real hair. I don't understand why you did not mention this.

This is really the most natural you can go .. but .. again A LOT of Black women want to straighten their hair ... which is the kinky straight look basically. :(

(btw - I wear the afro/curly look .. and noooooobody is trying to figure out my head. Even if people think it's fake... they will think I am wearing fake hair that pretty much looks just like my real hair ... which really takes the edge off. :)

See these modern Afros! :) Parlez vou Francais?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjZs2FH6PQE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLxmpjmj9R8

Not saying you have to wear an afro .. but THAT is the most natural hair texture you can wear and it is an option. :)


so a black woman with hair that mimcs her own hair that is relaxed warrants stares? not everybody wants the afro look. I don't really like it.


Okay, you need to be honest with yourself.

Geesh lady 'relaxed' hair is not 'natural' hair. I think you are playing word games so that you can pretend that your kinky straight hair is natural hair. :(

(I'm about to get up on my soapbox now girl! Hee hee!)

You JUST said you are mad because all the other races can have long hair except for the black race where I explained to you that black people can grow hair just as long as all the other races .. it's just that our hair goes into an afro ... and doesn't lay down flat like the other races.

IMO there is nothing wrong with kinky hair that is well growned - people just get lazy and let it go to h*** is all.

People at work or here and there (white people) often comment to me something on the lines of .. 'you are wearing your hair natural ... it looks good!'. If we start talking etc - they will say something along the lines of 'I don't understand why black people straighten their hair'. Then I've got explain that either it's easier to manage .. or they just want to enmulate the looks of white people's hair'.

If I tell them that a lot of black people just do not like their own natural hair .. I get that pitying thing like 'I feel sorry for them'. Yes, they know the influence of the 'the media' but heck ...it's your family's job to instill some pride in you about your hair.

Age? I wore an afro when they first came out in 1969 and today I am in a modern afro lace front wig. It's BIG and looks soooo cool when I am bouncing down the street girl! So it's not about age. It's about how you feel about yourself.

btw my afro/curl lace wig has to be combed, moisterized and braided up at night just like my real hair was managed back in the day. So it does take work though the curl defining new products these days make it a lot easier. :)

Now, I am not trying to say you HAVE to wear an afro - you can wear your hair any way you want. If you want to go with the Indian wavy, or blonde of Red or 28 inches .. IT IS ALLOWED. No one will stop you .. but then you have to take responibility for the look you project and not try to pretend that it's something that it's not.

My point is that when you say you are going as natural as you can with your hair texture .. well that would be untrue. You can't pretend that kinky straight is the most natural you can go ... when you know you could go kinky curly.

Again, I am always amazed at how many black folks cannot stomach their natural hair texture. :(

Okay, officially climbing off my soapbox now! Hee hee! You are off the hook. :)

For the last time though .. if your kinky straight gets too many stares ... it does not look ´natural´ and that´s all there is to it.

Getting frustrated at people staring at you or even getting mad at me for giving you my opinion (you asked for opinions afterall) ... will not change this impression. It's on you.

The best you can do is to change it, get used to the stares, or hang a sign around your neck that says - 'Please do not stare at my hair'. :) Those are your options.


Posted By: imfunsized
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 6:02am
I think you should wear your hair however you want, I mean who cares let people stare. As long as you are honestly comfortable with the style and you like you like it, wear it.

As far as this whole afro talk, you do not have I wear an afro if you don't want to kinky straight is an imitation of our hair blown out so I don't see the big deal being made over that. Not every black woman wants a fro geez, and you do not have to explain yourself to white folk....who the hell are they? They lay in tanning beds to be darker no one says anything, black woman wears a long straight weave, now she needs to explain herself and has self hate issues. I mean it's stupid honestly. You owe no one explanation, if your install jacked up looking then yes people will stare, if it is not then just flip your hair and keep it moving.


Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 7:10am
First off ... the OP is NOT comfortable with her hair. She has said this again and again.:( She is not comfortable with her hair because people keep staring at it.

I really don't see why this has to turn into another 'I hate what white people think (though I can't wait to look just like them)' thread. And getting a tan is nothing like trying to be Black DUH! This is something that black folks like to use though ... that would be a joke. :)

White people want to get a tan so their skin looks healthly, sunkissed and glowing .. but I have never heard a White person indicate that they want to look like a Black person.

The OP mentioned the ONE white lady staring. The ONE white lady... but I'll bet it's not all White people that are staring at her head if she is being this upset. I'll bet a lottttttt of people are staring ... so why is the ONE White person the focus?

The OP needs to get real about her appearance.


Posted By: imfunsized
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 7:55am
How the hell is wearing straight hair trying to look like white people?? Maybe the black women that wear straight weave simply love the look of the straight, just like you came in here to cape for white people and explain their tanning, but say black women want to be white for wearing straight hair. I honestly believe you are white since you take all the critiques made at them so personal. Smh you are a freakin joke, tanning to be a skintone that is not naturally yours and wearing hair weave that does not naturally look like your own is the exact same thing. Yet you come in here with some excuse for whites.

I'm honestly not going to waste time even going back and forth with you. OP wear your hair how you want, let the folks stare all they.


Posted By: imfunsized
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 7:57am
Also straight is not exclusive to whites, maybe she's trying to look Asian, Indian or Native American right??


Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 9:44am
Ahh who are you?

I wasn't even talking to you so yes, hee hee .. you can stop talking to me anytime you like. I don't have a problem with it. hee hee! Honestly, you can shut up now. Hee hee!

I was talking to the OP about why she is getting grief about her hair. Duh!

Geesh,must have hit a nerve.

(shrugs) But hey, the truth hurts and causes people to come out of the woodwork upset and ready to fight over something .. everyone else can clearly see.


Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 9:55am
ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

Lawd.....

Not all black people have kinky hair.
Not all black people are bald headed.
Not all black people who relax their hair do so until it is so damaged and on life support.


Not all white people who wear clip ins match their own hair color/texture.
Is it self white hate when they tan until  they look like turkey bacon?
Is it white hate when they get lip injections?

Anywhoo back to the topic, maybe all these people aren't staring like the OP said.
Maybe its all in her mind.
Maybe her install doesn't look as "natural" as she thinks
Maybe she had on a weird outfit, or lipstick on her teeth, pants unzipped, eyebrows arched to the high heavens, blood on the back of her pants. Who knows.

This thread ain't Censored without pics. 




Posted By: Jess
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 11:44am
OP, block your face, tag your pics, and post them here.


Posted By: 510QUEEN
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 1:40pm
dont go bald or you'll get more stares I shaved my head and I got stared at for days.......weeks months.................they'd go straight to my eyebrows.................and I'd think NO I'm not a cancer patient.  I shaved my head bc I wanted to!  

people stare for differnt reasons.............swang ya hurr and keep it pushin


Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 2:26pm
The most realistic install doesn't always look like the wearer's hair.

I've seen plenty of perfectly blended, realistic textured no lumps, no bumps, weaves that still looked like weaves.

I know that when I 1st started wearing weaves, I was self conscious the 1st day, so I felt people were staring and they weren't.

People see obvious weaves and not obvious weaves, everyday. It doesn't usually make them stare, it's so common, either way.

Unless it's a style/color featured regularly on hotghettomess dot com.


Posted By: Sushi_Addicted
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 3:38pm
I think I know what OP is talking about. I usually wear 18"-20" of kinky straight hair and get so many stares and compliments from both black and white people. However, black people are usually more inquisitive about it.

I got the weird white guy trying to touch it or ask, "How did you get your hair in that texture?" It grows this way and don't touch my hair, bro. I only had one white chick automatically assume that it was a weave, but that's because she's literally ignorant (about everything, really) and think black women can't grow long hair. My natural hair (before I had a set back) was longer than hers, but it's still healthier. She bleaches her hair to hell. For the most part they just stare.

Encounters with black people are a different story. Some harmlessly ask how long I've been growing my hair. I usually just tell them it's a weave and tell them that I grew my natural hair pretty long with sew-ins. Other people just flat out ask me out loud or insert a "is it all yours?" I had one chick tell me "I've never seen a black woman with long hair." I shook my head at her. I walked by a group of black woman and one black woman in the group simply said, "I love her hair", and another literally snarled, "It's not all her hair." Another black woman asked me if it was my hair and told her that it was a weave. She said "Oh! I was about to say..." Black men praise for me being natural all loud and in public. I was once asked if I was mixed.

I just think OP is fed up with how a people, of any race, can see a dozen non-black women walk by with SL, BSL or beyond and not bat an eye, but let a black woman walk up with any of the said lengths and people start to act up. It's worse when it's other black people.

Before I had hit a bump in my hair journey, my hair was a little past APL, mid way to BSL, and i still had people acting up about my hair when it was straight or natural. 




Posted By: joileprincess
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 3:53pm
People tend to stare at things that are unusual be that in a negative or a positive way. The negatives could be color, blending, length (as far as blending your leave out with it), and/or the actual install. The positives could be that the hair looks great but they are not used to or ready to accept a Black woman with long, kinky hair. I get more curious looks than anything. Then some like to follow to get better looks. The especially bold with just get blunt and ask if its my hair.

Just be sure that its not an issue with the hair and install itself. After that, just go about your day not giving a damn.


Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 3:03am
Geesh, again ladies Black people CAN grow their hair long IF they stay away from the chemicals and the heat and whatnot - because that is what causes damage and causes it to break off.

But it DOES NOT lie down flat when it grows out .. it goes into an afro. Duh!

So yes, when black or white people see a black woman with long hair that is laying down flat (kinky straight, yaki .. whatever) they will wonder if it's real. This is obvious but black people still get offended as if the whole rest of the world does not know this. Duh! Well, they do. The other races know that mostly we have 4b/c hair.

This is because no matter what the texture (kinky straight or yaki) for it to lie down like the other races... the person has to have applied chemicals or heat to get that texture. This damages it ... so for the hair to withstand this damage so long that it can grow to 18 - 20 inches length is POSSIBLE (some heads can take it) but it is not COMMON.

Of course, some black people have naturally straight/wavy etc hair .. but that's not so common either .. so people will get a good look at that person's head too.

I have friends with this kind of hair .. people check them out because they wear their hair off their faces ... it is very clear that is their hair. They are just used to it so …

Now this is the truth as to why people … ‘act like black people can't grow long hair'. It is because 'black people TYPICALLY CANNOT grow long hair (that hangs down) unless it is treated.

Back in the 80's and 90's White people had their hair permed too into the 'poodle' curl thing ... with all these curls all over their head. Well guess what .. the curl perms broke off THEIR hair. Even if they dye their hair ice blonde .. after a few years .. guess what ... STARTS to break off. So yes, they have to go back to their natural color and grow out or cut off the perms .. or they have problems too.

The moral to the story for all people .. is to go natural .. or you will have problems with your hair .. eventually though some folks can stand it. :(

Rules:

- If you want to grow your hair long .. it must be natural (in twists, or locks, or an afro etc).

- If you want your hair to hang down like the other races you have to treat it .... which most likely with cause damage and causes it breaks .. so then it does not grow long.

You can't have it BOTH ways (typically). Typically meaning this is what happens with most 4b/c heads of hair .. but some heads can take it.

They are the exception.

How can these self-same black people not accept a construct ... that everyone else IS AWARE OF?

Now with the weaves .. every black girl with long hanging hair ... is suspect. Maybe it's rude to stare but no one has control over how the whole rest of the world reacts to our heads. If the weave looks believable they may or may not comment .. but if it looks false .. they are gonna stare faaaaaar longer than would be expected.

This is the problem with the OP. :(


Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 6:09am
Originally posted by cupcakeroad cupcakeroad wrote:

 

I'm frustrated. I'm so tired of hearing ppl complain about black women's hair looking fake so I spend hundreds of dollars on kinkystraigt which looks natural and people will not stop inspecting my scalp. its not like I'm wearing doll hair. what do they want me to do? have short hair so I wont have a bunch of inspector gadgets in my head all the time. Im tired of this. every other race can have long hair and its normal but on me I'm looked at like a science project.
why do you care about what others think? if you like it roll with it...why would you spend money just to impress others? or..whatever it is youre trying to do.Confused


Posted By: Lacy Gal
Date Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 8:07am
OP, I pay attention to the stares of Black people not White people. Black people are more likely to notice if something is not right. But it does not always mean that something is wrong. Homegirl may just be checking your head out.

Printer Ink you really ought to let up. Yeah now you are wearing kinky curl hair. But if I remember correctly you used to be a great fan of brazilian straight hair and virgin indian hair.  But then you decided to switch up. To each his own.


Posted By: ms.blue
Date Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 8:52am
Most people of African descent don't have 4b/c hair usually is in 4a/b category but honestly it doesn't matter what hair type "we" have. People are going to stare regardless so either develop thick skin or stop wearing weaves in general.


Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Lacy Gal Lacy Gal wrote:

OP, I pay attention to the stares of Black people not White people. Black people are more likely to notice if something is not right. But it does not always mean that something is wrong. Homegirl may just be checking your head out.

Printer Ink you really ought to let up. Yeah now you are wearing kinky curl hair. But if I remember correctly you used to be a great fan of brazilian straight hair and virgin indian hair.  But then you decided to switch up. To each his own.


Geeeesh ... I didn't say she could NOT wear kinky straight, yaki etc ... I said if she wears a weave .. basically she has to OWN it so if it looks false .. she's gotta figure out why.

How many times have I said this in this thread? What does this have to do with MY wearing brazilian straight/wavy in the past? Try to stay on point/ Just because I wear kinky curly .. does not mean she has to wear kinky curly. But she kept mentioning that she is wearing the most natural texture possible which was untrue because she did not mention the kinky curly texture. That is an option too.

I am not saying she cannot wear straight hair .. she can ... the issue is that however she is wearing it, if people are staring something is off.

I think you just brought that up because I laid out the whole 'blacks girls cannot have long staight hair ... unless they use chemicals of heat' scenario. A topic that everyone already knows but tries to deny.

:(


Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 4:40pm
Some install with kinky straight can be bulky....that probably why I would stare.....


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 4:45pm
We really need to be more supportive in 2014 . Maybe the lady hair looks so natural people are amaze . Many people are still ignorant to fact we can have long natural hair . Men tell me often how beautiful my hair looks most days lol . I wear indian and curly hair . So many people wear weaves now , even men lol.  OP don't sweat it . Post a picture if you choose . I Learn how to blend any type of hair with my natural napps after years of trial and error . I have bad hair days also . Weaves require a lot of work to maintain a natural look in my op.


Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 5:18pm
Umm I don't know where the OP went .. but she was pretty clear that people were staring at her a lot ... but not in a good way. :(

I think we all know what it is get attention when your hairs looks good ... but when something looks off to people ... that would be a whole other star completely. :(

That's what I think is happening with the OP because she sounds really tortured by the stares. :(


Posted By: DivaMelody
Date Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 6:49pm
Why make a blanket judgement.  If she didn't post pics why assume it looks fake or awful.  When I first read this mess-my thought was who gives a hot "eff" if someone or anyone is staring at you, your hair or whatever in the first place??  I can only assume based on the way she said it, maybe the OP is not comfortable with her hair or herself and is reading way too much into people "looking" at her. If she noticed that someone was intensely staring her hair down --does that mean she was turned around staring back ?  If it bothered OP that much, she should have asked the woman why she was staring at her.  I have done so before and either people will tell you or back off. 



Print Page | Close Window