Print Page | Close Window

Karrine Steffans says shes not African American

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367298
Printed Date: Nov 19 2017 at 11:04am

Topic: Karrine Steffans says shes not African American
Posted By: GG
Subject: Karrine Steffans says shes not African American
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:29am

Author and former video vixen Karrine Steffans has garnered criticism this time for something coming out of her mouth. According to Bossip.com, Steffans recently went on KMEL radio for an interview and said she would not consider herself African American because of her Carribean ancestry. She also says that would remove any trace of slavery from her bloodline. Here is the excerpt of what she said:

“And I think people forget, I’m an islander. I’m not African American. I don’t have like African American struggles. I just don’t. I don’t have the same history. So, and I’m not even tryna be facetious…There’s a serious mind state that comes with being black in America. And being a black American. And the history that comes with that. And all things that are passed down from generation to generation…Shame. Shame s*xually. S*xually shaming. Shame on the female gender. Shame just all kinds of shame. And abuse. And belittling and all those things that come from post-slavery

I don’t have slavery in my family so and a lot of islanders don’t, so our mind state is different. We see things different and we’re not ashamed of our bodies. We have Carnival for Christ’s sake….That’s how we live our lives. We go to the beach; we swim naked. It’s just different. Island girls just do it better and that’s just a fact.”

Steffans also tweeted about the criticism she received insinuating that she is actually mixed with African and Danish heritage which may hold truth since her Wikipedia page said she is from the Virgin Islands, which was occupied once by the Danish. And even the Virgin Island Wikipedia page implies slavery was on the islands for a period of time. But Wikipedia usually is known for errors so inquiring minds would still have to go search for the facts.

http://naturallymoi.com/2014/01/celebrities/karrine-steffans-says-shes-not-african-american/" rel="nofollow - http://naturallymoi.com/2014/01/celebrities/karrine-steffans-says-shes-not-african-american/

Replies:
Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:31am
Originally posted by GG GG wrote:

Author and former video vixen Karrine Steffans has garnered criticism this time for something coming out of her mouth. According to Bossip.com, Steffans recently went on KMEL radio for an interview and said she would not consider herself African American because of her Carribean ancestry. She also says that would remove any trace of slavery from her bloodline. Here is the excerpt of what she said:
“And I think people forget, I’m an islander. I’m not African American. I don’t have like African American struggles. I just don’t. I don’t have the same history. So, and I’m not even tryna be facetious…There’s a serious mind state that comes with being black in America. And being a black American. And the history that comes with that. And all things that are passed down from generation to generation…Shame. Shame s*xually. S*xually shaming. Shame on the female gender. Shame just all kinds of shame. And abuse. And belittling and all those things that come from post-slavery
I don’t have slavery in my family so and a lot of islanders don’t, so our mind state is different. We see things different and we’re not ashamed of our bodies. We have Carnival for Christ’s sake….That’s how we live our lives. We go to the beach; we swim naked. It’s just different. Island girls just do it better and that’s just a fact.”
Steffans also tweeted about the criticism she received insinuating that she is actually mixed with African and Danish heritage which may hold truth since her Wikipedia page said she is from the Virgin Islands, which was occupied once by the Danish. And even the Virgin Island Wikipedia page implies slavery was on the islands for a period of time. But Wikipedia usually is known for errors so inquiring minds would still have to go search for the facts.
come again sweetpea?

smh

she never spoke so much till she started running out of cocks to suck

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:32am
i notice a lot of ppl from the islands get mad when they are referred to as African American.

Posted By: juicifruit89
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:34am
How did those 'islanders' get there? Natives?

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:36am
Originally posted by juicifruit89 juicifruit89 wrote:

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:37am
Lol... Yall can have her.
Dumb as a doorknob, bless her heart.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:39am

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:39am
She may not be african american but when you reside in American and you are black you do have the same struggles.....add the fact that her cooter has more miles than a 1989 honda and her stubble is double.

she never spoke so much till she started running out of cocks to suck
Well Dayum.

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:40am

they rode on the backs of dolphins. Too exclusive for slave ships -______-

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:40am
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

i notice a lot of ppl from the islands get mad when they are referred to as African American.

It's stupidity... Furthermore the average person is just gonna see you as black no matter if you're from Harlem or Trinidad.

ETA: She should've kept her mouth shut now she's washed up. Fruit from a poisoned tree...

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:48am
Quote She also says that would remove any trace of slavery from her bloodline.

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/Saphia_Mayo/media/gifs/tumblr_lty25v6yf51qcsrrxo6_250_zpsa79e859a.gif.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:48am
lol i knew this girl awhile ago who would be quick to correct folk and tell them she's West Indian and not African American. Her parents were born and raised in St. Criox and Antigua but she was born in Germany on an American Army base and raised here in the states...

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:53am
I know identity is important but once you live here full time you're considered American, no?

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:55am
who cares,  you're black

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:57am
Originally posted by GG GG wrote:

I know identity is important but once you live here full time you're considered American, no?

imo, not necessarily. If a man moved from Nigeria when he was 12 and lived here for 30 years, he would still be Nigerian. Although he may have adopted American culture, his country of origin did not change. But if you were born/raised in an american territory and are of african decent, you are african american...

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 11:58am
American citizen/born in America= American nationality. You can't have a geographical/physical location running through your veins. If your parents are from the Caribbean, you're infusing their culture wirh your American culture.

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:01pm
A lot of islanders feel that way, like they are better than African Americans. Yet and still they're here.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:01pm
nigerian would be the ethnicity.. 
american is nationality.. 
if he is an american citizen he's american.. the origin is africa 
therefore, african american 

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

who cares,  you're black

exactly... she took that sh*t sooo left.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:02pm
So is she right or wrong?

Posted By: 305bgirl
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:03pm
What do you all expect from a chick named Superhead? She was posting photos of her ancestors and completely left out the Black ones. Some people are so proud that someone in their family slept with or was raped by Massa.

Posted By: uppitynegroid
I relate to most of what she said. I'm just confused about her not having slavery in her bloodline. How exactly did her ancestors arrive at the Caribbean from Africa? Private jet?

I shouldn't be too surprised. I have heard black people with ancestors from the south claiming they don’t have slavery in their families

Posted By: Majesty02
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:05pm
People seem to not understand that African American is a NATIONALITY it is not a race. AA is a person of African descent born in America. Black however is a race. There are Black people all over the world (ex. Brazil, Cuba,The Caribbean etc) So would you guys call an Afro Brazilian and African American too.??:

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:06pm
im actually fine with people not claiming AA, African or even black.  i really dont care but it will affect the way i treat you. i dont know what it is about me but when i meet knew black people there always comes a time when some of them will spend 20 minutes trying to convince me theyre not really black and i just nod my head and listen. folks be out here claiming samoan, indian, aborigine, korean and left clawLOL  look... im not recruiter.  im not trying to make people be part of my clan who dont want to be but once you say youre not...we aint people no more.  and it always comes a time when they start talking about black people or using the nword and i have to correct them with you cant talk about black people around me and here they come "but im black"...nah son.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:09pm
Having been to the Caribbean, they may not have the same struggles as Americans, but Black poverty is widespread and power/wealth is concentrated within a small group of people  of European descent. 

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:10pm
they're only black when it conveniences them

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:11pm
Although I agree with superhead not referring to herself as AA, I disagree with the slavery comments. Black people have been enslaved all of the world for centuries (ex. Europe, South America, Africa, and The West Indies etc) so it is completely ignorant for her to say that just because she's descendant of the Caribbean her ancestors werent enslaved. I guess she never heard of De Sugar Cane plantations throughout the Carib.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Majesty02 Majesty02 wrote:

People seem to not understand that African American is a NATIONALITY it is not a race. AA is a person of African descent born in America. Black however is a race. There are Black people all over the world (ex. Brazil, Cuba,The Caribbean etc) So would you guys call an Afro Brazilian and African American too.??:

one of the most heated conversations i read on another board was over the term "american" and how most of the world see everyone in the western hemisphere as American and yet the USA claims the name for themselves.  it was actually an interesting discussion.  i was talking to this peruvian guy and i mention something about americans and stopped me and said im american, peru is in america and that stopped me in my tracks. 

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:12pm

They would be Brazilian nationality, Black race.

If they were born in America/American citizen, they're nationality would b e American, race Black.  

Posted By: 305bgirl
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:12pm
http://cdn.mediatakeout.com/66948/superhead-has-a-message-for-all-african-americans-says-she-s-better-than-all-of-us-slave-n- s-claims-no-one-in-her-family-were-ever-slaves-she-offers-proof-too.html" rel="nofollow - http://cdn.mediatakeout.com/66948/superhead-has-a-message-for-all-african-americans-says-she-s-better-than-all-of-us-slave-n- s-claims-no-one-in-her-family-were-ever-slaves-she-offers-proof-too.html

Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

I shouldn't be too surprised. I have heard black people with ancestors from the south claiming they don’t have slavery in their families

Creoles? I'd be curious to know how they explain this.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:16pm
People understand. She added unnecessary nonsense. Not a slave... no struggles??? Wtf?

People do call Blacks from other places AA.. all the time. Just to make life easier, they let it be. Only the children in my family are American yet everyone gets labeled as AA... Its inaccurate but not the end of the world.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

one of the most heated conversations i read on another board was over the term "american" and how most of the world see everyone in the western hemisphere as American and yet the USA claims the name for themselves.  it was actually an interesting discussion.  i was talking to this peruvian guy and i mention something about americans and stopped me and said im american, peru is in america and that stopped me in my tracks. 

This is an interesting perspective. What other way would people from the US distinguish themselves? US North American?

Posted By: Katrenia
When she was giving all that head, she must have given some of her brains also.

Well if that how she feels I won't judge

Posted By: jonesable
She doesnt claim AA?
Coo'

Originally posted by 305bgirl 305bgirl wrote:

http://cdn.mediatakeout.com/66948/superhead-has-a-message-for-all-african-americans-says-she-s-better-than-all-of-us-slave-n-%20s-claims-no-one-in-her-family-were-ever-slaves-she-offers-proof-too.html" rel="nofollow - http://cdn.mediatakeout.com/66948/superhead-has-a-message-for-all-african-americans-says-she-s-better-than-all-of-us-slave-n- s-claims-no-one-in-her-family-were-ever-slaves-she-offers-proof-too.html

those commentsLOL

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:19pm
hmm, I am a black US North American...Geek

http://cdn.mediatakeout.com/66948/superhead-has-a-message-for-all-african-americans-says-she-s-better-than-all-of-us-slave-n-%20s-claims-no-one-in-her-family-were-ever-slaves-she-offers-proof-too.html" rel="nofollow - http://cdn.mediatakeout.com/66948/superhead-has-a-message-for-all-african-americans-says-she-s-better-than-all-of-us-slave-n- s-claims-no-one-in-her-family-were-ever-slaves-she-offers-proof-too.html

It seems like she's bragging about having white people in her family instead of just poor black slaves. How is that something to brag about...? Confused

If they were born in America/American citizen, they're
nationality would b e American, race Black.  

Yes. My point exactly.

So Black American, Black Brazilian?

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

It seems like she's bragging about having white people in her family instead of just poor black slaves. How is that something to brag about...? Confused

This is what it all boils down to.
Mental slavery=white is right

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:23pm

I completely agree with her first tweet. 

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:24pm

hasnt people in our entire community been doing that for generations?  isnt that what the ls/ds debate is about?  isnt that why you have black people drooling over someone with light skin and light eyes?  its all about whiteness.

Posted By: Omgitsdannie101
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:24pm
hmm I consider myself black but not African american being that my parents are from the Caribbean and I have duo citizenship, but for her to deny slavery in the Caribbean is ridiculous.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:26pm

Exactly. One day my ex said some stupid ish like this. He use to brag about the fact that his moms family is native American descent. But he would always leave out his black ancestors on his fathers side. After a heated argument, and a black history 101 lesson... I broke up with him a shortly after. I couldnt stand anymore of his coonery

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:26pm
Does she mean she's not black, or that her ancestors arent African?

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:29pm
I call myself Black American. And good. Because me and the rest of us Black Americans don't want her.Stern Smile

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:33pm
""
“And I think people forget, I’m an islander. I’m not African American. I don’t have like African American struggles. I just don’t. I don’t have the same history. "

Hmmph...after reading. Nope, she's not African American if she wasnt born in the US.
But black she is.

and @ the bolded...how long as she lived in the US? If its just since adulthood, then i can see how she doesn identify with US black history. Our histories are similar (slavery,e tc), but definitely not the same; rampant, daily, and institutionalised racism, etc. I understand that part of what she's saying.

I don’t have slavery in my family so and a lot of islanders don’t, so our mind state is different. "

LOL wha? Karrin must not have been in history class

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:35pm

she's a dunce.
I suspect most of us have whites and other races mixed up in our lineage --as a result of slavery, ironically.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:36pm
I'm always hearing africans (born in africa but came here) saying… 'you're not african american… I'm african american.." 

i don't get why this is so confusing and why there are so many different opinions on it… 

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:36pm

This. I've had Dominican and Panamanian Blacks swear that they have 0% Black ancestry...they're just really dark Spaniards/Indian Shocked

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:38pm

If they were born in America/American citizen, they're
nationality would b e American, race Black.  

Yes. My point exactly.

If I had US citizenship, i still wouldnt call myself American. just would be wierd, not being born there
. my sister still after decades of living there, does not call herself American....she refers to American blacks as 'Yankees'...i have no idea whyLOL. I think alot of jamaicans do

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:39pm

This. I've had Dominican and Panamanian Blacks swear that they have 0% Black ancestry...they're just really dark Spaniards/Indian Shocked

a friend of mine said something similar to me.  i was talking to this black girl in a club who was without a doubt black.  and my friend asked me about her and i said "who the black girl?" and she said "no, ma she's not black she's just dark"Ermm i just smh

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

I'm always hearing africans (born in africa but came here) saying… 'you're not african american… I'm african american.." 

i don't get why this is so confusing and why there are so many different opinions on it… 

yeah...it can get confusing...and i guess i can see each persons' point of view, based on how attached they are to their country of origin, etc...
i kind of feel some type of way about generations of Blacks who were born in the US, being called African American or Black American...i mean, why cant you just be American? --why do i get the feeling that whites see American=white?

black jamaican, chinese jamaican, syrian jamaican, indian jamaican...it would just be weirdLOL. But i get that that the history is different.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:43pm
Nobody really wants to be black I guess...

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:44pm
Isn't the first time she's said something like this.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

yeah...it can get confusing...and i guess i can see each persons' point of view, based on how attached they are to their country of origin, etc...
i kind of feel some type of way about generations of Blacks who were born in the US, being called African American or Black American...i mean, why cant you just be American? --why do i get the feeling that whites see American=white?

black jamaican, chinese jamaican, syrian jamaican, indian jamaican...it would just be weirdLOL. But i get that that the history is different.

@the red, they do. But then there's the argument that only Native Americans are true americans...

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:45pm

Im just as American as the "founding fathers" were. However, to call me just American would be to take away a huge part of my identity. 

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:46pm
Her son is by a regular aa man. So she can swallow aa dics and have their babies but please don't slip up and call her one .

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:46pm
black americans are truly the marginalized (wo)man Unhappy

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:47pm

@the red, they do. But then there's the argument that only Native Americans are true americans...

yeah but thats true for the entire western hemisphere

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:49pm
I don't want to be called American in America. I'm proud of my history from the initial kidnapping to this day. I don't share the same history as white Americans.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

hasnt people in our entire community been doing that for generations?  isnt that what the ls/ds debate is about?  isnt that why you have black people drooling over someone with light skin and light eyes?  its all about whiteness.

I think ls/ds is more of a looks thing while Superhead seems to be on some unearned status shyt.

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:52pm
Someone needs to put something in her mouth.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:52pm

Ooooh I haaaaaaatttttteeeeee this.......

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

Im just as American as the "founding fathers" were. However, to call me just American would be to take away a huge part of my identity. 

...Your race would still be identified as Black

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:54pm

Yep. Judging by Whites' Twitter rants whenever a nonwhite is declared Miss America, or sings the National Anthem, they REALLY want ownership of the American label.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:55pm

I guess the same would hold true for the Tainos here....but whitey done murdered all of them off. F*ckers

...IA with the  poster who said the same goes for the entire western hemisphere

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:56pm

I don't want to be called American in America. I'm proud of my history from the initial kidnapping to this day. I don't share the same history as white Americans.

The thing is, you do. You just dont share the same experiences.

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

what a cutie!

*goes to read the rest of the thread*

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:07pm
She is not AA.....still black tho

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:09pm

The thing is, you do. You just dont share the same experiences.

Not really. . Until I went to college, I never ate with them, talked to them, lived in the same community as them. It has been that way for generations. We were not walking the same walk with a different perspective. They made our lives a living hell, but they do the same all over the world to this day.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

my question is ignored once again

interesting

Samone, when I lived in another country they spoke nothing of it. I finished off elementary school there and there was more than enough time to mention Harriet Tubman. Maybe it was my school/ neighborhood but they didn't even mention history. By 4th grade here, my teacher made sure we knew our history/world history. *MY experience*

I posted this response at least 30 mins ago smh

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:11pm
WF do u mean experiences such as major events occurring in the US? such as 9/11?

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:14pm
whats your question SL? 

we probably can't answer it.. 

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:15pm

Although I agree with superhead not referring to herself as AA, I disagree with the slavery comments. Black people have been enslaved all of the world for centuries (ex. Europe, South America, Africa, and The West Indies etc) so it is completely ignorant for her to say that just because she's descendant of the Caribbean her ancestors werent enslaved. I guess she never heard of De Sugar Cane plantations throughout the Carib.

Honestly, her even commenting such ridiculous and historically inaccurate dribble smacks of a PR stunt to drum up book sales and such.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:16pm
I think people have a hard time conceptualizing how aa's were so isolated that we don't eat the same food, don't listen to the same music, don't speak the same, don't share the same physical ideals. It's not about color. It's much deeper than that.

I asked this in another thread but what do blacks in other countries teach their kids about slavery that occurred in their country?

...here, you're taught everything i can think of....
...how blacks were brought here; when the whites came, what they did, life on the plantations; the rebellions and freedom fighters; Britain's role, how slavery was abolished, etc...

youre taught the history of slavery in the country as well as in the region

...if thats what you meant?

Posted By: Ladycoils
Cool so we should refer to her as a "struggling hoe".

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:17pm

I asked this in another thread but what do blacks in other countries teach their kids about slavery that occurred in their country?
Good question. I hope it is not as white washed as the mess they teach us in the US.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:18pm

WF do u mean experiences such as major events occurring in the US? such as 9/11?

no...specific experiences, such as racism and such...
meaning....you share the same history (day to day experiences, as a nation --9/11 etc), but individually as a different race, the experiences are different (racism, etc)

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:20pm
...@ Carolina --nope, no whitewashing here. We are fully aware for example that Colombus and his shiploads of bandits were thieving, murdering, raping, diseased sons of bitches (not in thsoe specific words of course lol). But, no glorification here.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:21pm

I think people have a hard time conceptualizing how aa's were so isolated that we don't eat the same food, don't listen to the same music, don't speak the same, don't share the same physical ideals. It's not about color. It's much deeper than that.

Wow that's so deep. That's a good point considering how long we've been sharing a country with them.

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:22pm
Lol some black Americans don't even want to be called African American.

In my country I am African. kente cloth, basket carrying on heads and all. I grew up with Kofi, Olatunde, n 'em.
And in my country we ran those baldheads outta we yard. We told the 'queen' GWAAAAN FROM HERE DUTTY FOOT
GYAL!!! AFRICA UNITE!!

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

Lol some black Americans don't even want to be called African American.

In my country I am African. kente cloth, basket carrying on heads and all. I grew up with Kofi, Olatunde, n 'em.
And in my country we ran those baldheads outta we yard. We told the 'queen' GWAAAAN FROM HERE DUTTY FOOT
GYAL!!! AFRICA UNITE!!

CryLOL

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:24pm
Also, I noticed black American from the Southern states have a lot in common with my culture.
Jones could literally be in my fam.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:25pm
I dont get this thing of shunning African roots. I guess i just cant relate.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:26pm

I dont get this thing of shunning African roots. I guess i just cant relate.

our people here were forced to let go of their heritages. Most of us have no understanding of our roots. The white influence was stronger here Ouch

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:29pm

Also, I noticed black American from the Southern states have a lot in common with my culture.

I noticed that too. I know a girl from NC and there are things both would never dare do and things we only do because of our culture.

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:31pm
So who let this heaux lose? She mad cuz all the other heaux won in 2013 but not her? Po lil tink tink

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:35pm
Yeah cuz they brought ya'll to 'their' land. A place they were claiming for themselves. But we had the chance to get to know our new homes (the Caribbean) without their eyes watching us alllllll of the time. Plus our new homes were similar enough to our old home. Lush and green, warm and natural. After we rebelled we were better able to hold onto
our traditions, whereas America was building up in a very 'European' way, on a world stage of white pretentiousness. So you guys got more white washed than us. Ya'll still my brothers and sisters though, and I recognize our roots in you more than you do.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

I noticed that too. I know a girl from NC and there are things both would never dare do and things we only do because of our culture.
IA with y'all. The food connection are always interesting.

WF, that's good to know because in the states it is all yt is right mentality.Dead

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:59pm

afreezy in a nutshell

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 2:02pm
 @ Deri and Eanaj...i just searched for a Black group hug gif and...nada
ah well Hug

Posted By: MzCaliky
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 2:16pm
The funniest thing happened in grad school. We had a guest speaker who was talking about demographics and made a statement about there being two African Americans in the classroom (myself and another guy) He raised his hand to correct the speaker and told him he is not African American, he is from Belize. Okay I get it but really you had to raise your hand? Ninja you been here since you were five. Then he kept asking why I wouldn't speak when I saw him. Raising your hand to correct somebody was going too far in the middle of class. The speaker gave him a blank stare and moved on just like the rest of the white people. Once you are here you are an African American. Go figure when I went to Belize they talked that "people from the states think they have a monopoly on being Americans" Make up your mind. 

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 2:21pm
Her first tweet was not wrong.  it's been established that African people's were in the America's (among other places) before the slave trade.  Not all black people's here come from slaves.  For whatever else she said..*shrugs*  If she sayin' she proud that someone in her lineage got raped...well....that's on her.

Posted By: slykitten
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 2:26pm

It isn't confusing.  I really don't understand why people get angry about all of this.  Wherever you are born that is your nationality.  I really think people in America make things too difficult.  If I were to go to Germany, would I see African Germans, Italian Germans, Hispanic Germans?  No, they would be German.  I do think people get race, nationality, and ethnicity confused and want to put people in groups where they are not.

She is silly if she thinks she is from the Caribbean and has no slavery background.  But if she was born there, she isn't an African American.  That seems pretty obvious to me.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 2:30pm
To be honest I think immigrants are not sure what they should be called when they move to the states.
If i didn't know that black is black is black i might have the same confusion too.

For example, some in America want to be called black only. While some don't mind AA. As if it made a difference to your heritage. while some argue that they are the only ones not being called just American, ex. Italian American, Irish American etc. so why be called AFRICAN American??

Then we have some Caribbean ppl who think they are from the Caribbean only. I noticed this with lots of Jamaicans (no shade to my JA massive) My Jamaican friend told me she doesn't like Africans and they annoy her and I said, at least you know you can be annoying..wit yo Afro-Jamaican ass.

Now me, I grew up knowing that Afro=black, And Caribbean/America=slavery.
So I never had this issue.

So when migration happens, sh*t can get a lil confused because there is ignorance on both sides.

Print Page | Close Window