Print Page | Close Window

10 of the Richest Black Communities in America

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367289
Printed Date: Nov 20 2017 at 10:39am

Topic: 10 of the Richest Black Communities in America
Posted By: EPITOME
Subject: 10 of the Richest Black Communities in America
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:15am

http://d39ya49a1fwv14.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/View-Park-Windsor-Hills-California.png" rel="nofollow">View Park-Windsor Hills, California

1. View Park-Windsor Hills, California
View Park-Windsor Hills is an affluent Black community with an average family income of $159,168.  View Park-Windsor Hills are part of a band of districts, from Culver City’s Fox Hills district on the west to the Los Angeles district of Leimert Park.  The area is the single largest geographically middle- and upper-class Black community in the United States.

http://d39ya49a1fwv14.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Baldwin-Hills-California.jpg" rel="nofollow">Baldwin Hills, California

2. Baldwin Hills, California
Baldwin Hills has a median family income of $157,033, which secures it as one of the richest Black communities in the United States.  The community was given the nickname the Black Beverly Hills after African Americans began moving into the area, especially musicians and film actors.

http://d39ya49a1fwv14.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Ladera-Heights-California.png" rel="nofollow">Ladera Heights, California

3. Ladera Heights, California
Ladera Heights is an affluent Black prestigious community in California. The average family income is $132,824. Much of the area’s appeal stems from the stunning views of the Pacific Ocean available from many hillside houses, as well as its proximity to beaches and Hollywood.

http://d39ya49a1fwv14.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Mitchellville-Maryland.jpg" rel="nofollow">Mitchellville, Maryland

4. Mitchellville, Maryland
Mitchellville, too, is a upper-middle-class African-American community in Maryland. The average family income of this town is $118,022.   Residents of Mitchellville take tremendous pride in their friendly community and beautiful homes.   It offers its population access to excellent public schools, which boast high test performance and a graduation rate of more than 80 percent. Most students go on to pursue college degrees, and have easy access to prestigious nearby institutions such as Johns Hopkins University, Georgetown University, and the U.S. Naval Academy.

http://d39ya49a1fwv14.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Fort-Washington-Maryland.jpg" rel="nofollow">Fort Washington, Maryland

5. Fort Washington, Maryland
Fort Washington is an upper-middle-class Black community, which borders Washington, D.C.,  just south of the downtown district. It is a prosperous community with a median family income of $114,243.  Extending over 14 square miles, Fort Washington is home to families with children, young professionals and college students. More than a third of residents have a bachelor’s or advanced college degree.

http://d39ya49a1fwv14.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/kettering-maryland.png" rel="nofollow">kettering, maryland

6. Kettering, Maryland
Kettering is also a thriving African-American community in Prince George’s County, Md.  The average family income for this town is $107,008.   Kettering has a population of 78.5% Black people, safely landing it on this list of the wealthiest African-American communities in the United States.

http://d39ya49a1fwv14.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/woodmore-maryland.jpg" rel="nofollow">woodmore maryland

7. Woodmore, Maryland
A suburban community in Prince George’s County, Maryland, Woodmore is an affluent African-American town with a median family income of $103,438.  With a majority population of Black people, Woodmore is one of the wealthiest African-American communities in the United States.

http://d39ya49a1fwv14.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/friendly-maryland.jpg" rel="nofollow">friendly, maryland

8. Friendly, Maryland
Friendly is a upper-middle-class Black community in Prince George’s County, Md.  Landing in at the eighth spot, Friendly’s average family income is $82,827, solidifying its place as an affluent African-American community in the United States.

http://d39ya49a1fwv14.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/hillcrest.jpg" rel="nofollow">hillcrest

9. Hillcrest, New York

Hillcrest is another middle-class Black community in New York. The median family income is $76,960, securing Hillcrest a spot on the list as one of the most prosperous African-American communities in the United States.

http://d39ya49a1fwv14.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/uniondale-ny.jpg" rel="nofollow">uniondale, ny

10. Uniondale, New York

Uniondale is a middle class predominately Black community in the suburbs of New York City. The average family income is $76,553, which makes the town one of the most flourishing African-American cities in the United States.

Replies:
Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:18am
Hmmmmm....

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:29am
I've decided a long time ago I was moving to Woodmore when I could afford it. I love PG so much sometimes, Im tryna move out of Moco and move around more black people.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:47am
Nothing in the souf? All of them in NY, MD and CA?Cry

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:48am
The south is for poor, uneducated, fat people.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:53am
*sings blackberry molasses*

I'm not even sure what molasses is tbh.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:53am
Lyes! Why U gotta dew us lyke that Sang?UnhappyLOL

*sips molasses*

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:54am
CC I think its b/c of the high cost of actually living in those areas the salaries are inflated proportionally to match up. 

Dallas and Houston have affluent  AA communities as well, but the cost of living here is much lower. 

Whats the source of this list, Pity?

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:54am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

The south is for poor, uneducated, fat people.

There are rich black people in the south, the cost of living is really low so that is probably why they didn't make the cut. Maybe they're in the top 20? *fingers crossed

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 2:52am
Who 1 starred this thread though?

Posted By: MsBella
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:39am
Im definitely surprised to see so many MD cities on the list! But its kind of off. Woodmore isnt a town, its the name of a bunch of really nice developments in bowie/mitchellville md. Id definitely expect it to be above kettering though.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:52am
They didn't specify town, they just said communities.

Roosevelt is a decent school in PG. However, I'll probably send my kids to private school.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:52am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

we considered PG county for a quick second because of the size of the homes and prices are pretty decent but the schools are terrible....well worse than the surrounding counties

We? who is we???? You work for the Gobment SamoneGeek

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:58am
@Samone okay Wink

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:00am

i love how the top 3 are in cali Heart

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:03am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Nothing in the souf? All of them in NY, MD and CA?Cry

LOL Right , I kept scrolling and was getting madder and madder each time I saw MD. MD!

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:06am

now yall should have known the south wouldnt be mentionedLOL

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:21am

Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

@Samone okay Wink

lol

I am married

but hey if you can get me a government job please pm me

Not any more sorry, let that connection go. I remember congratulating you on something not sure if it was an advance degree or an engagement... But congrats again, I love hearing about black loveClap..

Wait... He is black right? If not still congrats...

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:31am
My "partner" was harassing me so much I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't want to transfer so I just let it go. He was disgusting Dead ugh talking about it makes me sick. Now I look back at it and realized that I already a great retirement at my age and other benefits that I forsake it kind of hurts. But I don't regret it, but the income though Cry

Didn't want to get married for a while, but now I think I'm 45% ready to take that leap. Is married life really that great? I know that is a loaded question.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:39am
Wwww really that is good. Hmm different backgrounds makes it easier! Never heard that before. When I get hitched you and wonder will be one of the first to know. Dudes be trying but I be denyingDead

Posted By: csungrl09
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 7:10am
Kettering for the win!

Posted By: leftywefty
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 7:44am
thanks for this! I was expecting the median incomes to be higher…Even in Houston, 150K is upper-middle class….So i'm not sure what that equates to in cali…
I'd like to see the houses in those neighborhoods…I don't think the pics are accurate...

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 7:48am
For some reason idc what schools my kids go to.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 7:48am
I'm mad at the house posted for Baldwin Hills.  I used to live in Baldwin Hills...like in the hills.  We had a view...u could see clear across to the Hollywood sign.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 7:49am
the "richest" black communities make around 70-150k...?

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 7:52am
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

Black people with real wealth are living among other wealthy people (aka white people).

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:32am
Those median incomes are pretty high. I live in the richest county in America and the median income is only in the low 100k's. We actually would be waaaaay better off if we could live in PG county because housing is much more affordable.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:39am
i dont understand how ppl come up with these 'richest counties' 
i googled and it said the richest county was in VA.. and the income was like 119k… 

are ppl in beverly hills, orange county, malibu, the hamptons, certain parts of manhattan, etc.. not counted amongst the regular ppl incomes? 

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:53am
Those are celebrities. Do those places have regular working people with stable $100k per year incomes? The government pays extremely well.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 9:11am
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Those are celebrities. Do those places have regular working people with stable $100k per year incomes? The government pays extremely well.

yea some are celebrities.. but i think there are a lot of ppl living in some of those counties and places in manhattan that are not celebs that make more than 150k.. 

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 9:34am
Where is Atlanta??

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 9:38am
150 k sounds about right.
BHM is so detached from the real world sometimes

Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

CC I think its b/c of the high cost of actually living in those areas the salaries are inflated proportionally to match up. 

Dallas and Houston have affluent  AA communities as well, but the cost of living here is much lower. 

Whats the source of this list, Pity?

I would love for someone to post this. I'm interested in living in the South. I'm pretty sure health care careers pay about the same or only slightly less than the Mid-Atlantic. Right?

Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 10:06am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

I think its just subjective. My parents made $100,000 each and managed investment properties, and I don't consider my upbringing even close to "rich." That's upper middle class at best for the Mid-Atlantic region. I think its the "rich" part that's throwing people off.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 10:10am
If they used the median to measure central tendency then this fits nicely.
Yah know it isn't affected as much by extreme outliers so it's a nice comfy number .
I remember a thread about race and income and people were shocked at how " low" the income ranges were for white-Asian pairings ( the couple with the highest income ranges)

When you consider how the rest of the US is living it sounds about right.
Not just 1% or 10%-ers .
That's where I feel the detachment comes in.

Lot of America ain't BMF BHM

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 10:10am
there aren't certain doctors, top lawyers, business men/women that make well above 150k? 

i know they're talking about average.. but somethin about this list doesnt seem right.. 
forbes said the medium income in the richest county was 120k.. 

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 10:12am

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 10:13am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

I agree w/this

Posted By: juicifruit89
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 10:21am
Honestly, not surprised by CA, MD, and NY being on top. Strong federal and private business organizations in these areas.

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 10:30am
damn.. all those prosperous black neighborhoods in Maryland and I end up in Bmore.

Posted By: iluvmihair
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 2:10pm
I looked up P.G. on Urban Dictionary and there was a bunch of stupid answers, so I just wanted to make sure, is PG Prince George county, a "hard" but affluent area near DC?

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:25pm

Agreed. Those incomes are way off. People who live in mitchellville generally make between 150k-200k and thats not in a combined household. People who live in woodmore earn between 300k-millions, since there are so many different woodmores.

ETA: bolded

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 6:19pm
The whites are moving into Ladera, Windsor Hills and Baldwin Hills....and into Leimert Park and Fox Hills and Inglewood and Hawthorne.

It's upsetting/annoying.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 6:25pm
Inglewood?  Hawthorne? Word? why?

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 6:32pm
Yeah, probably because they want to get out of the suburbs, and those are the places the most cost efficient (in comparison to WeHo, Westwood, the beach cities, etc).

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 5:36am

lol yeah kind of

why did you go on Urban Dictionary?

Google kept giving me Proctor & Gamble stuff Sleepy

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 8:49am

lol did you search pg county maryland or just pg?

Just PG Embarrassed
I didn't know it was in Maryland until after my search though.EmbarrassedEmbarrassed
My bad. My terribly embarrassing bad, lol. (edited to fix gif)

Posted By: Senior Detective
Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 10:50am
so does anybody here live in any of the places in the op?

besides me

Posted By: TexturizedDiva
Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 11:54am
Glad to see my old home on the list (Mitchellville), but this list was kind of biased. CA, MD, NY - really? That's all? So there's no wealthy black folks here in Atlanta (my previous area here was full of Howard grads and MD and NY transplants interestingly enough)?

Posted By: TexturizedDiva
Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 12:02pm
Ha, and it's funny because back when I was living in Mitchellville, we considered Kettering to be the nearby not-so-nice, slightly hood area.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by TexturizedDiva TexturizedDiva wrote:

Glad to see my old home on the list (Mitchellville), but this list was kind of biased. CA, MD, NY - really? That's all? So there's no wealthy black folks here in Atlanta (my previous area here was full of Howard grads and MD and NY transplants interestingly enough)?

the list was posted in an Atlanta newspaper...

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/01/03/10-richest-black-communities-america/" rel="nofollow - http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/01/03/10-richest-black-communities-america/

Date Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Senior Detective Senior Detective wrote:

besides me

Yes..mitchellville. 

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 5:55pm
Fort Washington's lawn seems to be struggling.....let us pray...

Posted By: stardaqueenb23
Date Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 8:20pm

i dont understand how ppl come up with these 'richest counties' 
i googled and it said the richest county was in VA.. and the income was like 119k… 

are ppl in beverly hills, orange county, malibu, the hamptons, certain parts of manhattan, etc.. not counted amongst the regular ppl incomes? 
I live in one of USA "wealthy" counties but the median income is around 110k. I figure the reason is we have cities like Scarsedale, NY where the median income is well in to the 200k range with many millionaires and then you have cities like Port Chester, NY where median income is around 50k. When you balance everyone out the median goes down and the really wealthy become outliers. Also the issue with wealthy counties is prices and taxes are high making social mobility and home ownership hard which makes a big gap between the rich and poor, but that is another topic for another thread.

Date Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 8:35pm
it makes perfect sense to me, if you think about a typical well paid professional's earning potential. age 18-25 you're in school, then you're 25 have a professional degree for the first few years you won't be in the six figure range to start with few exceptions. You start off maybe at 60-75 k. then over the course of your career you triple that if you're a success. so you're around $200+. Then you retire, and if you're smart your "income" should be back in the $30-50k range because you're drawing on retirement. 

It all balances out that a community of well paid professionals would have a median income in the 100s because out of 60 years of your adult life you were only earning 200k+ 20-30 years, or half your working life.

Posted By: Senior Detective
Date Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 8:57am
Originally posted by MsBella MsBella wrote:

Originally posted by Senior Detective Senior Detective wrote:

besides me

Yes..mitchellville. 
welcome to the clubCool

Print Page | Close Window