Print Page | Close Window

Does some peoples hair just grow no matter

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367272
Printed Date: Aug 21 2018 at 1:25pm

Topic: Does some peoples hair just grow no matter
Posted By: liesnalibis
Subject: Does some peoples hair just grow no matter
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 12:21pm
what they do to it?

They blow dry and flat iron their hair every two weeks on max heat and...

Replies:
Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 12:28pm
what is this sorceryStern Smile

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

what is this sorceryStern Smile

I think you're being sarcastic LOL

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 12:34pm
do some people's hair grow no matter what?  IMO...yes.

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 12:35pm
lmao, them 2 make me so upset and jalous.

Lemme get out of here and prayDisapprove

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 12:41pm
my friend flat irons her hair almost daily.. 
it still grows and is at least fairly/moderately healthy.. 
some ppls hair can just take more than others  

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 12:43pm
Yes. The looser your curl pattern, the more damage you can sustain.

Let me try to flat iron my hair once every year and I would end up with a tragedy (reversion issues, moisture issues, etc.)

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 12:49pm
Hair growth is all about retention....they retain most of their length because they prolly baby the ends....and hair grows consistently unless there is a medical problem....

And applying heat every two week is not bad at all as long as they keep the temp under 450....with blow drying it the friction that causes damage

Shoot Domin blow dries her hair too....

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Let me try to flat iron my hair once every year and I would end up with a tragedy (reversion issues, moisture issues, etc.)

Lower the temp. It prolly wont have that silk but it will revert back....

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 12:50pm

Umm no quite.. I have looser curl pattern and my hair would be on the ground will all that heat..

It just varies from person to person.

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 12:54pm
I blow dry my hair every time I wash it, which is once or twice a week.  I work with medium heat, but I work quickly and leave it just lightly damp.  For some reason, air drying my hair causes me problems.

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 1:00pm
Yup it grows. Chemicals just makes us THINK it doesn't.

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 1:08pm
I just posted the other day about how pretty I thought these twins were in the RT thread. But I agree that looser curl patterns tend to be able to do more to their hair without damage. At least, that's been my observation.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 1:11pm
Depends on thickness of strand and if the hair has a cortex.....most course and kinky hair doesn't...thats why chemical processes are easier

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 1:14pm
Tbh my '4C' hair is very resilient to heat.
It's very strong naturally as well...but then again my strands are not fine.

Here is what I suspect the secret to hair growth to be:
The oiler the scalp, the longer the hair can potentially grow.
Looser patterns (may have olier scalps) or appear to have olier scalps because the sebum flows down the hair with better ease. Thus lubricating the strands, retaining moisture, which retains length.

Sebum has a harder time sliding down kinkier, colier hair. Thus the shaft has drier sections, leading to breakage, snags, knots etc.

JMO

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 1:16pm
I'm scared to blow dry or flat iron my hair even once (not really interested at this point though) but when I was doing it before I transitioned my hair had gotten really long at one point, like below BSL, but then one side broke off really bad. And that was the end of that. I had to cut it to shoulder length.

Posted By: sunshine321511
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 1:17pm
Yes ....

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 1:17pm
i think you have to just straddle the line. 

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 1:19pm
i think so.
my mom abuses her hair daily and it looks healthy as ever
meanwhile God forbid if i dont moisturize one night or straighten once a week, my hair would look/feel deep fried Ermm

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

Tbh my '4C' hair is very resilient to heat.
It's very strong naturally as well...but then again my strands are not fine.

Here is what I suspect the secret to hair growth to be:
The oiler the scalp, the longer the hair can potentially grow.
Looser patterns (may have olier scalps) or appear to have olier scalps because the sebum flows down the hair with better ease. Thus lubricating the strands, retaining moisture, which retains length.

Sebum has a harder time sliding down kinkier, colier hair. Thus the shaft has drier sections, leading to breakage, snags, knots etc.

JMO

And on this note I'll be moisturizing and sealing my hair now LOL

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 2:01pm
Girl, you haven't been doing that?

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 2:04pm

Girl, you haven't been doing that?

Yeah but not so much since my hair is in twists now. But that just made me wanna get up and do it again.

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Umm no quite.. I have looser curl pattern and my hair would be on the ground will all that heat..

It just varies from person to person.

Generally people with looser curl patterns are better able to retain length. I didn't think this was up to debate? The more bends your hair has, the more prone to breakage it is. Or have BHM, LHCF, and other boards been teaching lies for the past decade?

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 2:05pm

Yes. Definitely. The same way some people's hair break at the slightest friction, least change in weather, environment etc. Yep, some people's hair grow, even when subjected to the most harsh treatment.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 2:16pm
I giggled at deep fried. You ain't lyin.Heart

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

I blow dry my hair every time I wash it, which is once or twice a week.  I work with medium heat, but I work quickly and leave it just lightly damp.  For some reason, air drying my hair causes me problems.

I have proof that air-drying after about 8 weeks post-relaxer will lead to breakage. You want your hair dry as quickly as possible for the least issues with it. Styling after air-drying leads to breakage IMO, when you are many weeks post...the two diff textures have basically "set" in their own way by the time the hair dries, and any type of manipulation makes it easier to break (Im talking 4c texture here).

Posted By: GG
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 2:47pm
Some people just have good genes I guess.

Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

my mum's hair is the same--coarse and strong as hell

I think it's down to how coarse or fine each hair strand is

..I could never do that sh*t to my hair every 2 weeks since it's so fluffy and baby fine in places, if you have coarser strands then maybe you could get away with very little damage imo

Yeah. Coarse hair withstands more. When I was relaxed, my hair looked "healthy" even when it was damaged, simply because I had so much hair and the strands were dense. Its a combination of hair type and good maintenance. I watched the video and it seems for each damaging action they apply to their hair, they utilize 2 damage-reducing techniques (deep conditioning, heat protectant, etc.)

They are beautiful girls. I enjoyed the video. I can't wait to have time to do my hair again after nursing school.

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 2:49pm
So what about that bottle of JBCO i been walking around with sitting on my head like a puddle? My hair ain't growing like these chicks. I once thought that too much oil suffocated the roots.

Come on ladies and speak into the mic. cos yall know i'm starting all over. I just got my stitches taken out so i'm starting from the bottom.

Posted By: 510QUEEN
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 2:53pm
well I'm team Giovanni for the win THIS whole system the moisture is unbelievable!   Also at TJ Maxx $12.99

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 2:54pm
The bad thing about it is girls watching the video will try to copy their regimen thinking it's okay but they'll end up sorely disappointed. I wouldn't dare.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 2:55pm
I rarely touch my hair. 
I don't even feel like washing it half the time. 

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:00pm
Yes.

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by 510QUEEN 510QUEEN wrote:

well I'm team Giovanni for the win THIS whole system the moisture is unbelievable!   Also at TJ Maxx $12.99

Oh yeah 510.....What this new mystery you been hiding. I use the Giovanni tea tree conditioner. meh hubby is the only one using it now. Ok I guess the trick is moisture moisture moisture.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:18pm
^Moisture and low manipulation=Bomb retention for suga!Cool

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

So what about that bottle of JBCO i been walking around with sitting on my head like a puddle? My hair ain't growing like these chicks. I once thought that too much oil suffocated the roots.

Come on ladies and speak into the mic. cos yall know i'm starting all over. I just got my stitches taken out so i'm starting from the bottom.

lmao.....
i used castor oil for like 8 weeks straight, and nothing. what thickened up my hair was 3 weeks in hospital waiting for campfire to be delivered.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:36pm
I'm about to go wash my hair right now. I hate shampooing but my scalp has buildup now so..maybe I should use ACV instead? I can't remember.

What's ya'll fav shampoo? Something moisturizing...and don't say Shea Moisture.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:38pm
^design essentials moisture retention shampoo is excellent. i swear by it.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:40pm
The line is pretty good....I love Keracare Humecto and hydrating shampoo along with other items from their natural texture line

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

[QUOTE=510QUEEN]well I'm team Giovanni for the win THIS whole system the moisture is unbelievable!   Also at TJ Maxx $12.99

Oh yeah 510.....What this new mystery you been hiding. I use the Giovanni tea tree conditioner. meh hubby is the only one using it now. Ok I guess the trick is moisture moisture moisture.

This is the new me for the next 5 months.  Co washing and the LOC method.  Like some one just said moisturize and little to no manipulation.  I have 12 twisties under this scarf.  If I need to dc all day at work I wear a plastic shower cap under and no body knows.

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:45pm
I love those glasses on you 510. Giving me that Edna Mode fierceness! Thumbs Up

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:49pm

I'm about to go wash my hair right now. I hate shampooing but my scalp has buildup now so..maybe I should use ACV instead? I can't remember.

Giovanni Wellness System

http://www.giovannicosmetics.com/products/wellness.asp?prodtype=WELLNESS&" rel="nofollow - http://www.giovannicosmetics.com/products/wellness.asp?prodtype=WELLNESS&

has no productscontainSodiumSulfate(SLS)andSodiumLaurethSulfate

and no parabens 

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:50pm
Thank you FarraFace Embarrassed

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:50pm
Thanks ladies. I'll look into those.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:53pm
Right now i'm about to wash with Aphogee shampoo for damaged hair. Could you believe I've been using this since I joined BHM with relaxed hair years ago!

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:55pm

Right now i'm about to wash with Aphogee shampoo for damaged hair. Could you believe I've been using this since I joined BHM with relaxed hair years ago!

Too much protein.....unless you need it

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:56pm

heres a review Derri and its old but I fel her about screaming yes yes yes yes in the shower

lol

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 3:58pm
yes
heffas
even with us both having locs my sister's hair grows longer and faster than mine. if you look at all our childhood pics, i was always the baldheaded one and she had long flowing ponytails. Ouch

Posted By: 305bgirl
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 4:11pm
Are they texlaxed?

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 4:11pm
i need to go pick up one of those shampoos. 
its the 3rd day of 2014 and taking good care of my hair is on my resolutions list.. i need to get on it. 

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 4:46pm
I've given up on finding the perfect shampoo.  My hair is just like, Meh, to everything I try.  Right now I am usuing Silicon Mix Pearl Protein Shampoo.  It's the conditioners my hair truly goes wild about.  I use Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor Conditioner, Silicon Mix Pearl Protein Conditioner and Tropical Magico Coconut Conditioners (depending on what it is I am doing to my hair).

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Too much protein.....unless you need it

I've been using too many deep moisturing conditioners so I need a lil protein to balance out. I was feeling too lazy to do the 2 step treatment today, so I opted for the shampoo. I only shampoo about once every 6 weeks.

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 6:33pm
I like the Creme of Nature Argan oil shampoo.

It reminds me of the throw back CON poos

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 11:42pm
It looks like those two ladies in the video use good products in order to maintain their length. 

Posted By: lumii18
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:20pm
Do any of you ladies use SheScentIt products?

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:27pm
What are you using to moisturize straight hair. I hear good things about ORS but its ok. I used cantu but it had too much protein for me at the time.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:56pm

Does your hair not respond well to shea moisture Derri?

I discovered it randomly. This combined with Herbal Essences condition has changed my blow dry results tremendously. I used to think my hair could never be so soft in its natural state or so straight blow dried.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 1:17am
Shea Moisture is a hit or miss for me. Some products work, while others don't.

What products from shea moisture and herbal essence do you use?

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 11:07am

The latter is so cheap. The combination of these two makes my hair so soft. It makes it so much easier to blow dry.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 11:07am
I need some sh*t for my psoriasis. 
What's good besides tea tree oil?

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

I need some sh*t for my psoriasis. 
What's good besides tea tree oil?

you should get tested for food allergies.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

The latter is so cheap. The combination of these two makes my hair so soft. It makes it so much easier to blow dry.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 12:50pm
Omg posting on BHM is so fking annoying!!!!!

Sighhh

Anyway are you wearing your hair straight only uppity?

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 12:58pm

Sighhh

Actually, I've attempted to straighten it maybe 5 times since I've been natural. I was only successful once which was when I used these products for the first time a couple months ago. I was actually just planning to blow dry so my hair would be easier to part while I put in my box braids, but I noticed how soft my hair was so I went ahead and flat ironed too.

It was straight for a week then I did the braids. I don't really have time for hair. I'm in school and my program is intense so my hair is in braids 90% of the time. I have yarn braids right now. I still think that moisturizing products are good for your hair even you're wearing protective styling or to wear your hair in its kinky state.

Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 1:05pm

Sighhh

are you on f2? I haven't had any errors since I switched.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 1:11pm
Everytime I try to go to forum1 or 2 it goes right back to regular. I'm on my phone I don't know.

Uppity what tools do you use to 'comb' or smooth your hair, say to prep for a twistout?
The denman and tangle teezer are no longer friends of mine.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 1:45pm
Our hair isn't the same but finger detangling works best for me and in the shower I use Babyliss scalp massage brush from Sallys:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IQ1N4A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=scalpmassage-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B003IQ1N4A" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IQ1N4A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=scalpmassage-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B003IQ1N4A

It's like $2 at Sallys.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 1:52pm

Everytime I try to go to forum1 or 2 it goes right back to regular. I'm on my phone I don't know.

Uppity what tools do you use to 'comb' or smooth your hair, say to prep for a twistout?

I just use combs. I start with a wider one and work down to a narrower one. I always start with finger-combing though.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 2:28pm
A comb? Hayle naw

I'll try the brush CC. Thanks. Sigh.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 2:37pm
may i suggest the magic star jumbo rake

Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 2:40pm

Are you typing forum2 or just f2? The latter should work

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 3:40pm
yes
just like some people have great skin Embarrassed

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 3:52pm
Tatee...that'll handle a 4C type? It better be magic indeed

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 3:58pm
Ok I read some reviews, i'm sold!

I type a 1 or 2 after 'forum' in the url
Is that wrong?

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 4:04pm
a rake tho? LOL

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Ya know I bought this tatee but it's sitting in my drawer with the other Magic Star combs I bought. I've decided combs just aren't for me. I hate the feeling of my snapping when the comb gets to my coiled ends.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 4:14pm
Send it to me!!! Fuk! How do i purchase this comb? Is it at sallys?

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 4:14pm

Tatee...that'll handle a 4C type? It better be magic indeed

its definitely magical for me.  it changed my hair life but i only know about my hair.  i also only comb during my detangling session in the shower.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Ya know I bought this tatee but it's sitting in my drawer with the other Magic Star combs I bought. I've decided combs just aren't for me. I hate the feeling of my snapping when the comb gets to my coiled ends.

sorry it didnt work out for you http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/Saphia_Mayo/media/Emoticons/e657262.gif.html" rel="nofollow"> are you using it on wet/conditioned hair?

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 4:19pm

Send it to me!!! Fuk! How do i purchase this comb? Is it at sallys?

http://www.hotcombs.net/magic-star-jumbo-rake/" rel="nofollow - http://www.hotcombs.net/magic-star-jumbo-rake/

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 4:22pm

No, just no tatee! You are trying to get my naps snatched with this. My hair is too damn thick for this.LOL

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 4:25pm
CC if thats what you believe i will not try to convince you otherwise.  i can only speak on my experience with it.

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

No, just no tatee! You are trying to get my naps snatched with this. My hair is too damn thick for this.LOL

CC, what do you use?

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 4:33pm
Hope you guys aren't combing your hair while it's dry.

The reviews are good. My hair is very thick and dense but i also thought the denman would be wack but my babe calls it my obeah/voodoo brush. Lol i can't use it anymore, it's his brush now.

I'm going to give this and the other one a try. I'm excited, kind of pricey for a comb but it's a necessity.
In my city i pay $18 for a denman. Hiway robbery.

CC if thats what you believe i will not try to convince you otherwise.  i can only speak on my experience with it.
I read your post in a calm soothing tone like a yogi lol.Embarrassed

I have a similar comb with tall teeth and it's just not for my me. I'm glad it's working for you though.

JP, I use fingers and the babyliss brush posted on the other page for detangling.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

I read your post in a calm soothing tone like a yogi lol.Embarrassed

I have a similar comb with tall teeth and it's just not for my me. I'm glad it's working for you though.

JP, I use fingers and the babyliss brush posted on the other page for detangling.

i have the small one with small teeth and only used it once it doesnt work for me.  i think that comb is for small children.  i should sell it.

LOL @ yogi

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 4:45pm
lol it was just so calming.

You should sell it. It looks like it would work well for twas too. Slide through like butta.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 4:51pm
I too pictured tatee in a red robe, sitting atop a mountain with feet folded in her lap I read that.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2014 at 4:56pm
Shocked LOL

Print Page | Close Window