Print Page | Close Window

Do I have a chance?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367153
Printed Date: Jun 21 2018 at 7:35am

Topic: Do I have a chance?
Posted By: JustMe90
Subject: Do I have a chance?
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 11:37am
My mom and I have been living in this apartment for 13 years. I haven't been on the lease since 08

when I started working but continued to pay my portion of the rent up until now. I want to be put on 

the lease and I'm able to pay the rent by myself. She is afraid they will come after her for lying about 

me being on the lease. Is there anything that I can do to fight for the apartment without 

jeopardizing my Mom? Let me add that she is moving out today and I have until the middle of the 

month. She came into a large sum of money and they began to question her, threatening eviction. 

She just bought a condo and does not wish to remain on the lease or to put me on it. Can I fight for 

the apartment?

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 11:45am
You can ask if you can take over her lease they may ask for a new deposit and raise the rent tho.....

Posted By: newin2009
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 11:50am
I assume she has given a 30 day notice. All you have to do is apply for the apartment to see if you qualify alone. You usually have to make 3 times the rent and pass a background and credit check.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 11:50am
unless their was a rent reduction based on income her coming into money isnt any of their business.  as soon as she informed them she was leaving she should have asked them if her daughter could take over the lease.  this is something your mom has to do because technically you dont live there and there may be a waiting list for the apartment and you are not on it.

Posted By: newin2009
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 11:52am
They won't come after her for lying. She's on her way out anyway. I think you're making this more complicated. I was an assistant property manager for over 5 years.

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:00pm
do you live in public housing?

Posted By: dee1672
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:03pm
Why does this read as if part of the story is missing? What does her income, especially if it increased, have to do with her lease agreement? Is this rent controlled or income restricted housing? And as long as your mother doesn't owe them any money, they more than likely won't pursue any action (even if there was some legal reason why you should/shouldnt have been on the lease). Its not worth the hassle....
 In any event, you would have to go through the same process as any other perspective tenant (application, income verification, etc.) and if you only have 2 weeks left in the lease, its a good chance that they have already signed a new lessee. I always had my apartments occupied as soon as I knew a tenant was moving. Good luck with getting the apartment back!

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:05pm
what state are you in. if you are not in housing you might be able to go to court and prove you have been living there and paying bills for 13 years.

why did your mom take you off?

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

what state are you in. if you are not in housing you might be able to go to court and prove you have been living there and paying bills for 13 years.

Shed end up losing the place and paying a fine because they probably were commiting welfare fraud......

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:12pm
Find a new place to live.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:15pm
Oh and I don't know OP but many mixed income properties subsidize based on income. Most developments in large cities do this now in order to get building permits.
It's not just section 8 or the like that does this.

Posted By: dee1672
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

Shed end up losing the place and paying a fine because they probably were commiting welfare fraud......

Exactly. She doesnt have a legal claim to stay in the apartment if the lessee and the owner have agreed to terminate the lease. Legally they cant change the locks so theyll have to go to court to have her evicted but that will only gain her a few weeks, go against her credit (if the owners decide to file for rent), and she will eventually be put out. Its not worth the hassle. The OP is concerned about their actions coming back to bite them in the butt. As much as you may like the apartment, it sounds like a good ride has come to an end. Suck it up and move on.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:30pm
My friend who lives downstairs lived their his whole life. He was not on the lease when his mom died. Landlordtried to kick him out but he went to court to prove the was his residence and won. Landlord just upped the rent by 100

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:31pm
Sounds like a section 8 type of arrangement. man I know people that have section 8 apartments for years and have since moved out of the state and they still have the apartments up until now. Just renting them out all willy nilly. Mama's doesn't want the money that she just got taken away so she up and bounced. She doesn't want you involved cos you will trace them back to mama's new money. Go get you another apartment or move in with mama and her new found money.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:32pm
She's 23. But thats why I asked if its housing or section 8 than there are diff rules.

Did she take you off to get cheaper rent?

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:38pm
You sure do have an interesting life and a unique way of telling stories.

Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

unless their was a rent reduction based on income her coming into money isnt any of their business.  as soon as she informed them she was leaving she should have asked them if her daughter could take over the lease.  this is something your mom has to do because technically you dont live there and there may be a waiting list for the apartment and you are not on it.
say it ain't so fam....LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL. This girl got 50-11 degrees & her man can afford to buy her channel boots...but she splittin rent wit her momma in rent subsidized housing??

Posted By: sweetskul
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 1:03pm
i cantttttt Cry

Posted By: PurrPoZe
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Oh and I don't know OP but many mixed income properties subsidize based on income. Most developments in large cities do this now in order to get building permits.

This is true...I make about 40k (and it's just me)...and I pay very affordable rent in a building where studios go for 2800. The program is ran by the developer not the govt. no shame here

Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by PurrPoZe PurrPoZe wrote:

Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

This is true...I make about 40k (and it's just me)...and I pay very affordable rent in a building where studios go for 2800. The program is ran by the developer not the govt. no shame here
No need to be shame...but you're not talking sh*t about what you have and what not...You just had to be there poze...

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

say it ain't so fam....LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL. This girl got 50-11 degrees & her man can afford to buy her channel boots...but she splittin rent wit her momma in rent subsidized housing??

Gurl I didnt wanna say nuffin....buuuuuuuuut.....yeah.....BHM dont not never forget.LOL

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 2:16pm
No my Mother is..I'm just double checking.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 2:27pm
Well partly before my aunt died and we received an inheritance they wasn't all in our business like that. They started to want explanations for the money and they did investigations on who was living in the apartment, facing possible evictions and "unnecessary court proceedings" ( They asked her to get a legal separation from her husband as a solution) and tired of fighting for a rental property my Mom bought her own. Yes we were receiving some subsidy over the years but that was soon to change. Now that she's gone I'm willing to take over.  The complex  (no it is not public housing and the rent goes up every year) asks for $1,500 for a beautiful three bedroom, two bathroom apartment, terrace, laundry service, maintenance, light and gas included. Complete a community gym and pool, and let's not forget the central air. This is as good as it gets in Brooklyn for these days. I just want to take over the lease. Can they just put me on if I come with money and proof of income? Don't I have rights as a tenant. Regardless if I'm on the lease or not? I was here on and off but I've always contributed and used this as my main address.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 2:28pm

You know you in here fibbin but good luck girl.....

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by JustMe90 JustMe90 wrote:

Well partly before my aunt died and we received an inheritance they wasn't all in our business like that. They started to want explanations for the money and they did investigations on who was living in the apartment, facing possible evictions and "unnecessary court proceedings" ( They asked her to get a legal separation from her husband as a solution) and tired of fighting for a rental property my Mom bought her own. Yes we were receiving some subsidy over the years but that was soon to change. Now that she's gone I'm willing to take over.  The complex  (no it is not public housing and the rent goes up every year) asks for $1,500 for a beautiful three bedroom, two bathroom apartment, terrace, laundry service, maintenance, light and gas included. Complete a community gym and pool, and let's not forget the central air. This is as good as it gets in Brooklyn for these days. I just want to take over the lease. Can they just put me on if I come with money and proof of income? Don't I have rights as a tenant. Regardless if I'm on the lease or not? I was here on and off but I've always contributed and used this as my main address.

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 2:35pm
LOL

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 2:39pm

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 2:45pm
Call 311 they will direct you to some renting committee innyc that can answer. I had a tent question about what the laws wete and they answered.

But if your mom doesn't go doen to the office and put you in it can't be done

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 3:56pm
I'm surprised at you guys 

nvm.. i hadn't read the whole thread.. its been said. 

Posted By: HowardAlumAKA
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 5:24pm
I don't see why you can't take over the lease unless it's more to the story as some if the ladies are implying.....

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

You know you in here fibbin but good luck girl.....

LOL

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 6:21pm
My sister's granny was from Brooklyn and had lived in a big two bedroom next to Prospect Park since the 50s and so she got it dirt cheap. When she got into her 80s my sister's dad moved in to take care of her. When she passed away the landlords tried to kick him out because of course they were waiting for her to kick the bucket and be out so they can get that rent for a place like that. He fought them and is still living there. He is not giving that apartment up. In NYC it is hard to evict people..even though it was her name on the lease..for a while he just said she was in a nursing home..but eventually he somehow got to stay. Well..let me mention that they are white Jews..so not to sure how it would go down if he was black .

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 11:04pm

on instagram straight flexin

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 11:19pm
didn't OP say her man was practically living with her in the other thread...so all three of y'all was in there shacked up?  boughetto.

Posted By: Im_oh_so_hott
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 11:39pm
You still asking BHM for advice ? You couldn't Google this sh*t ?

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 2:54am

you have excellent memory....i forgot all about her drama thread...LOLLOLLOL

Print Page | Close Window