Print Page | Close Window

Jay Zs Brand Is Suffering Because People Dont

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=367139
Printed Date: Jan 16 2018 at 7:49pm

Topic: Jay Zs Brand Is Suffering Because People Dont
Posted By: afrokock
Subject: Jay Zs Brand Is Suffering Because People Dont
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 6:40pm
Jay Z's Brand Is Suffering Because People Don't Trust Him Anymore

In July, the rapper and business mogul Jay Z partnered with Samsung to release a new album, "Magna Carta Holy Grail," by giving away 1 million copies to the first Samsung mobile users to download a free app.
The deal netted Jay a cool $5 million in sales and a platinum album the moment it was released, and it burnished his image as an innovative businessman. But it's not clear that the $20 million partnership — or other recent Jaz Z ventures — have actually helped Jay Z's image.

According to research from celebrity branding expert Jeetendr Sehdev, Jay Z's partnership with Samsung was the second least popular celebrity marketing deal of 2013 among consumers aged 13-31 (Justin Bieber's partnership with OPI was the most hated).

In fact, the 1,000 millennials surveyed said the rapper himself was among the people least influential to their purchase decisions among the 80 celebrities Sehdev asked about, a group that included a range of personalities spanning from Tom Brady to Hillary Clinton.

Sehdev said that while Jay Z remains popular with Americans of all ages, his brand is missing one crucial piece needed to persuade them to spend hard-earned money on the products he touts: authenticity.

As a group, millennials consumers place a high premium on buying products from brands they see as being honest and having social goals that go beyond those published in their quarterly earnings reports. And despite Jay Z's promise to "Never Change," these consumers say they don't know what he stands for anymore.

The survey found that Jay Z scored 70% lower in the categories of trustworthiness and honesty than did celebrities like Morgan Freeman and Jennifer Lawrence, an issue Sehdev chalks up to Jay's intense focus on making money seemingly however he can.

For instance, Sehdev said consumers praise Jay Z's intelligence, but question his integrity as an artist, noting that he has collaborated with a variety of musicians from Justin Timberlake to Kanye West, and dabbled in various genres like hip-hop, pop, and R&B.

Perhaps more damaging to Jay Z's ability to persuade consumers through branded partnerships are his constant references to other products in his music. Sehdev said that on "Magna Carta Holy Grail" alone, Jay Z referenced eight different luxury brands more than 20 times.

Despite the album's strong sales, critics condemned it for being an uncreative endeavor motivated by commerce rather than artistic expression.
"Millennials question the exact nature of Jay Z’s role in the artistic process," Sehdev said. "Does he really write his own songs? Is he choosing the artists to collaborate with, or is he just the face of a money-making empire?"

Further, Jay Z's recent business decisions outside music are seen as lacking cohesion with the person he claims to be.

After purchasing a stake in the NBA's New Jersey Nets and serving as the public face of a contentious campaign to move the team to his home borough of Brooklyn, Jay sold his interests in the team less than a year after.

The sale allowed him to pursue a new venture as a sports agent, while his beloved Brooklyn has yet to receive the affordable housing the Nets promised when they purchased public land to build their new stadium.

"Millennials questions his approach to loyalty, whether it be to a business deal or his fans," Sehdev said. "His motivations to just make money can be viewed by this audience as self-centered, even if they may be business savvy."

Sehdev praised Jay Z's participation in a revealing Vanity Fair cover story last month as a positive step toward regaining the trust of millennial consumers by shedding light on his social views and the family life he shares with his wife, Beyoncé, and their baby daughter Blue Ivy.

To continue this progress, Sehdev said Jay will have to continue to feed the public's thirst for knowledge about his relationship with his superstar wife and be mindful of only taking on partnerships that mesh with the Jay Z brand.

"We rarely see this true side of him," Sehdev said. "I believe Jay Z is going to need more exposure of his true self, meaningful partnerships, and true philanthropic efforts to get back into the good books of Millennials."

Replies:
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 6:42pm

disagreed with the bit about him revealing more bout his marriage but this dude hit the nail on the head in many parts

jay has become the embodiment of everything he stood and fought against

Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 6:44pm
my bad, heres the reference

http://www.businessinsider.com/jay-zs-brand-is-suffering-because-people-dont-trust-him-anymore-2013-12" rel="nofollow - http://www.businessinsider.com/jay-zs-brand-is-suffering-because-people-dont-trust-him-anymore-2013-12

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 6:57pm
Oh who cares.

He's Fugly as all h*** and too old to be singing that rab crap music anyway. Duh!

Needs to grow up.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 7:06pm
Good.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Oh who cares.

He's Fugly as all h*** and too old to be singing that rab crap music anyway. Duh!

Needs to grow up.

i thought what was in his brain was what was important….. 
not looks 

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 7:12pm
He could have been a game changer...instead he got greedy. 

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 7:25pm
Okay cool now go finish worshiping Kanye or the next flavor of the month.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 7:26pm
Approve

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 7:32pm
Haha! He thought he was invincible, that what he gets!! ClapBig smile

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

disagreed with the bit about him revealing more bout his marriage but this dude hit the nail on the head in many parts

jay has become the embodiment of everything he stood and fought against
pretty much...

*raises canada dry*

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 7:46pm
His brand got him to hundreds of millions (with an assist from Beyonce). Even if it's starting to decline, he still had a good run.

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 7:52pm
Is he aware of this?

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 8:13pm
I don't get the part about him randomly shouting out name brands on magna Carta. He has done that his entire career

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 8:25pm
i've got 99 problems and this ain't one of themBig smile

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 8:28pm
it was all good just a year ago

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 8:29pm
guess he can wipe his tears as he swims in his scrooge Mcduck money bin.

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 8:35pm
I don't care for jay-z either

he ruined this movie with his horrible music Cry

Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 8:39pm
jay is going to be just fine.

Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 8:39pm
There was absolutely no reason for Izzo to be in The Great Gatsby. 

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

His brand got him to hundreds of millions (with an assist from Beyonce). Even if it's starting to decline, he still had a good run.

Thumbs Up

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by fckwitmeuknoigotit fckwitmeuknoigotit wrote:

jay is going to be just fine.

no ?

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 9:03pm
seems like Diddy does less and has more monies

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 9:30pm
I swear I love me some diddy.

Jays verse in ross' s new song was very telling of where he is at mentally

Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Okay cool now go finish worshiping Kanye or the next flavor of the month.
I'm starting to see why they called you up sweet November

Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 10:18pm

he had the longest run dopest run, no denying that all.

There's just no soul to what he's doing anymore no skill to his product placement and it's become more evident that where he used care about representing the lil guy and being a voice of some sort he doesnt anymore

It's purely fucck you pay me

Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 10:19pm
I'm sure he doesn't care though.

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 11:12pm
what, y'all aint buying the negro is now a vegan? LOL

Date Posted: Dec 27 2013 at 11:18pm
He's a vegan for 22 days.

Posted By: chinadoll77
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 2:17am
He's had a great run with it,so I'm ure that he won't be applying for public assistance help .......LOL

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 2:23am
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

guess he can wipe his tears as he swims in his scrooge Mcduck money bin.
LOL

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 4:39pm
People don't trust you when you stand for nothing.

Yes, he has been shouting out brands for the longest...and it was okay 15+ years ago when he was in his 20's. But fast forward to the time when you have a wife and kids, the coonery needs to stop.

I actually think it's quite tacky and tasteless for someone to discuss labels at any age, but at his age, it's beyond sad.

Jay-Z is like that old man who made it out of the hood, but goes out of his way to buy and wear the freshest Tommy Hilfiger gear everyday. Tommy windbreaker set, matching logo tee, matching socks and sneaks. You'll find him on the bus shining those sneaks with a Tommy washcloth. So wrapped up in being showy that he doesn't realize how foolish and n!ggerish it really is.

sn: I'd like to see Jay on Iyanla Fix My Life. I wanna see her get to the core of his emptiness.

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 4:44pm
Tom Ford Tom Ford

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 6:39pm
Ermm

Posted By: mrshairdo
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 8:03pm
lol the core of his emptiness? really?

this nicca is playing a role in his music...he has said it, his peers have said it...it's not who he is in real life

doesn't mean i agree with it but lol anyway

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 8:14pm
right? why it gotta be Brotha Manish and empty to want high end. and yall black asses cosigning/thanking that 

*goes back to look at kim k's "40k" painted birken 

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

I actually think it's quite tacky and tasteless for someone to discuss labels at any age, but at his age, it's beyond sad.

.really
why? 

you don't discuss labels with your friends..? 
i understand it being tacky to brag.. but discuss..? 

and jay is a rapper.. all they do is talk about what they have and designers.. i agree with the above who said it.. he's playing a role. 
even my dear drake has a song with versace in the chorus.. its what they do. 
jay copied him btw imo. 

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

right? why it gotta be Brotha Manish and empty to want high end. and yall black asses cosigning/thanking that 

*goes back to look at kim k's "40k" painted birken 

I think it's quite n*gerish to believe one is improving oneself by spending copious amounts of money to advertise something made by a white man.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 8:32pm
idk about 'believing one is improving oneself' 

i agree with you somewhat though.. i doubt tom ford would ever make a shirt with jays face on it.. 
whites would never advertise for blacks like rappers do them.. but i don't think they're always necessarily trying to kiss up to/advertise for designers.. sometimes they're just talkin about whats hot and how they have it.. thats what most rappers do. 

jay though.. probably made that a business deal somehow.. 
drake.. probably was just talkin about whats hot 

Posted By: Blac1Chyna
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 8:33pm
He lame now. If he gets on the track with Rich Homie Quan his brand might go up. Sorry but I'm not trying to listen to some 48 year old man brag about Hermes over some wack azz beat. He did good work on "I Got It" but he just isn't appealing.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 8:50pm
designers sending jay z and em free clothes is them doing the same thing as jay rapping about them in a song...they will be seen in it so higher sales..

they have different platforms so you can't expect a designer to make a shirt or a clothing line with a celeb's name on it....doesn't make sense

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 8:52pm

jay z aint trying to improve or prove sh*t. he's jay z

Which is enough for some people, I suppose...

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 8:52pm

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

designers sending jay z and em free clothes is them doing the same thing as jay rapping about them in a song...they will be seen in it so higher sales..

not the same… 

millions of ppl hearing tom ford or versace in a catchy chorus are gonna think that thats whats hot and everyones gonna try their hardest to go get ANYthing tom ford or versace.. 

however, if ppl see bey or jay out and about… only a few will know they are wearing tom ford.. ppl aren't up on fashion like that to know it when they see it… 
most ppl will only know if they read a blog and the blog states that thats the designer they're wearing.. 

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Which is enough for some people, I suppose...

exactamundo.

and probably enough for jay

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 9:03pm
Took him 30 years to start declining.   Bout time

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 9:45pm
Jay still somewhere counting more coins that the people who writing the article. Its funny they speculating on what he "stood" for and I thought it was to entertain. I mean did people think he was going to forever be talking about a Hard Knock Life???

WTF he need to talk about his life with his wife, I mean ask all the celebrity couples who stayed on Twitter and letting USA today all up in they mix how that worked out.

Before I get hit with rocks, no I don't Stan for Jay, cant even tell you the name or a song off his last album.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

Jay still somewhere counting more coins that the people who writing the article. Its funny they speculating on what he "stood" for and I thought it was to entertain. I mean did people think he was going to forever be talking about a Hard Knock Life???

WTF he need to talk about his life with his wife, I mean ask all the celebrity couples who stayed on Twitter and letting USA today all up in they mix how that worked out.

Before I get hit with rocks, no I don't Stan for Jay, cant even tell you the name or a song off his last album.

no one can

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 10:23pm
Yeah Jay need to talk about his wife and kids more ... lol

"Mike Jord in my prime use to tell em don't guard me/
Now me and Blue sit and play tea party/
cool mellow not the type to ever get hyper
She sh*ttin on the god... 
...blue when I change her diaper/
I love being a dad.. I love being a miser
Life is like a beach chair.. Bey, I really like her...
Memph you my number 3, I still trust you son
But Blue Ive is here, and she's my number 1Heart "

"Young!"

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 10:32pm
now i feel like listening to Beach Chair 

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 11:04pm

"Young!"

Lmao. That was wack as hell.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 11:28pm
lmao, staying true to what?
His music obviously evolved with his life style.
Hood antics = life during the struggle, hoodrat sh*t, i.e. hard knock life
wealth and prosperity = songs about materialistic possessions i.e "Tom Ford"
Tf yall think he was supposed to do rap about a fake struggle?
If yall want the Jay who was tryin to make it, go listen to Reasonable Doubt

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 11:34pm
Meh

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 12:00am
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

I always say this 

"Want my old shiit? Buy my old albums"  lol

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 12:04am
I just want Jay with some substance to his music, a good flow, and solid rhymes. New Jay lacks 2 out of the 3 the majority of the time, and all 3 some of the time.

He was materialistic on Reasonable Doubt too. I don't mind that.

So I don't want his old sh*t. I want some good sh*t. Something his new sh*t often lacks. 

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 2:02am
Part of the problem is them same ninjas that was bobbing they head to Hard Knock Life haven't evolved. I mean yeah some downloading his music on the new Samsung Galaxy phone but most are still buying mixed cds from the CD man with their copy of Best Man Holiday to enjoy that $5 hot and Ready wit they Baby Momma Monique. He the one mad saying he fake, who in the hell want to keep struggling?

There will always be people who sit and wonder WTF happened and ones who are busy making things happen. Your actions determine whoch one you will be.

I mean lets get real they hangout with Paltrow and name their kid Blue Ivy for goodness sake. He aint checking for that foolishness no more. What they expect him to talk about Rocawear and Armadale 42 years later??? Seriously??

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 2:15am
Personally, I loved Magna Carta
BBC, Heaven, FUTW, Somewhere in America, Nickle & Dime are my shiiiitt

and those are just my favs off the album...i really loved the album

U can't listen to Nickle & Dime, Somewhere in america, Jay Z Blue, Oceans etc and tell me the nicca aint got substance to his music

His flow on BBC and On the Run, I lovedd...but then again i just love Jay's style and always have

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 2:16am
for me, the msg in nickle and dime is soo real for someone in his position...i understand where he is in life whenever i listen to a jay album, i like that

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 2:42am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

"Young!"

Lmao. That was wack as hell.

"uh! huh! uh huh uh!
Just let me be great! 

what you know about diapers in the baby bag/
any time Blues crying, yo it makes me sad/
Decked out interior in the cedes Van/ 
A sports agency thats how I make the cash/ 
I support Tray-von cause I heard the speech
Given by pres Obama the other week/
We not political, I'm out here marching/
Jesse Jackson......... Al Sharptonn.. (uhuh!)
Blue came on board,.... I get NO sleep/
a father athlete, thats how I compete/ 
I don't stay in Marcy live on another street/
I got about 12 nannies Hove Rolls deep/

Just let me be a great dad!
Young!! " 

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 2:56am
oodles where are the lyrics from....im not familiar and im not happy about that lol

which song(s)

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 4:41am
lol

off the top of the brim Hairdo..

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 4:49am

coming across as authentic =/= rhyming bout poverty

gtfoh with that retarded logic

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 4:50am

I just want Jay with some substance to his music, a good flow, and solid rhymes. New Jay lacks 2 out of the 3 the majority of the time, and all 3 some of the time.

So I don't want his old sh*t. I want some good sh*t. Something his new sh*t often lacks. 

clearly this is too difficult for some to grasp

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 4:57am

Calm down with the condescension, it's all subjective... No one's opinion is the end all be all

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 4:58am

lol

off the top of the brim Hairdo..

Haha u got me caught up!! I was like how come I have never heard these raps of blue LOL

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 5:07am

Calm down with the condescension, it's all subjective... No one's opinion is the end all be all
no offence, but i cant apologise for your comprehension love

if thats what you got from that cool story

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 6:19am
Right? How this became about putting ppl in the hood down.

A lot jay fans might not be able to by tom ford but they understand substance. Rapping about your wife and kids, no one would be mad at him for that he would prob loose the 30 and younger crowd tho.

I hate when he jumps on a record with the hottest rapper at the time. He always sounds outta place I.e. don't kill my vibe

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 6:23am
And wasn't jay supposed to give up the word b!tch what happened to that? Blue didn't mind it I guess

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 11:16am
That story wasn't true...he never said but of course bhm ran with it anyway

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 11:24am
you can be insightful and wealthy
are people saying you can't?

i don't begrudge his wealth at all---it's outstanding
but it's a (w)rap for me regarding Jay w/any depth
i liked his album with Ye though

eta: I just remembered this

2013 Was The Year Of Cultural Appropriation

To be honest, 2013 was a  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-w-waters/shed-so-many-tears-the-ye_b_4365547.html?utm_hp_ref=tw" rel="nofollow - tough year for black folks.  Every year has its share of racist activity and bad news, but there was something about this year that made it seem like white people had set claims on aspects of black culture in ways they never had before. We'll admit, this isn't the first time (Elvis anyone?), and it certainly won't be the last, but it was quite possibly the most painfully obvious.

Every time we turned on the television, computer or radio, it seemed pop culture was saturated with songs, dances or trends that originated in the African-American community and all of a sudden people were praising and paying close attention to things that had existed for years.

So we decided to pull together all of the examples of things pop culture stole this year, from dances to music genres and even rappers themselves, not many things in black culture were safe this year.

Jay Z
AP
That's right folks, not only did  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/18/jay-z-hyphen_n_3617383.html" rel="nofollow - Jay kick the hyphen in his name to the side , he did the same to the black community this year. The rapper-turned-mogul made it painfully obvious on his "Magna Carta Holy Grail" album that things have changed for him, from his days in Marcy Projects to buying Picasso paintings and Tom Ford suits. But he drove the nail in the coffin when he  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/16/jay-z-barneys-deal-on-conditions_n_4287086.html" rel="nofollow - stood by his partnership with Barneys , after the high-end retailer was accused of racial profiling. The  http://therapinsider.com/2013/11/06/rapper-jay-z-found-dead-inside-at-43/" rel="nofollow - rap community declared the once celebrated MC dead inside , but not to worry, Sean Carter lives on through his business ventures.

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 11:32am

U can't listen to Nickle & Dime, Somewhere in america, Jay Z Blue, Oceans etc and tell me the nicca aint got substance to his music

His flow on BBC and On the Run, I lovedd...but then again i just love Jay's style and always have

I like all the same songs. I like this album more than the some of his others, but not the most.

Where I disagree is that his substance is like fake substance. It's like sweet and low instead of sugar. He just says things that could b....ok, here's an example: the oil spill line in oceans. Come on jay. U don't care. Plus like 59365 more important things have happened since then that u failed to mention. It's like he only talks about safe or overly done subjects. It's fake, but just real enough to look like he cares.

I'm a jay-z fan and I've been only lukewarm lately. I'm hot for beyonce though. It's weird comparing their appeal.

I think jay just needs to stop saying Basquiat like that's the only black painter he knows. That's another example of him being fake deep.

Kanye does the same thing. I think his friendship with kanye cooled me off a little too. When they do songs together my face is mugged up the whole time. I just side eye their whole operation.

Congrats to a rich black man though. I still f.uck with him, just not all the way the long way anymore.

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 11:37am
lol

thats probably because that IS the only black painter he knows

which he owes to swiz beats

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 11:50am
basquiat >>>>>

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 11:52am
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

I'm a jay-z fan and I've been only lukewarm lately. I'm hot for beyonce though. It's weird comparing their appeal.

I think jay just needs to stop saying Basquiat like that's the only black painter he knows. That's another example of him being fake deep.

yup yup....i don't believe his enlightenment is genuine
and his Barney's alliance....bleh....releasing a PR statement about a "board" blah blah blah

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 11:53am
Jay panders for "substance cred" more than any mainstream rapper I know.... He's been doing it ever since Nas, Rosie Perez, Oprah, and the Journalist ethered him in that 2001-2003 time period where he was considered a bad guy.  You can tell that really got to him (and the case where he was on trial for stabbing Un) because then he became so motivated to show people 'hey, i'm not a bad guy. I'm smart and charitable and deep too.'

http://rapgenius.com/Jay-z-blueprint-2-lyrics#" rel="nofollow - I put dollars on mine, ask Columbine
http://rapgenius.com/Jay-z-blueprint-2-lyrics#" rel="nofollow - When the Twin Towers dropped, I was the first in line
Donating proceeds off every ticket sold
http://rapgenius.com/Jay-z-blueprint-2-lyrics#" rel="nofollow - When I was out on the road, that's how you judge Hov, no?
http://rapgenius.com/Jay-z-blueprint-2-lyrics#" rel="nofollow - Ain't I supposed to be absorbed in myself?
http://rapgenius.com/Jay-z-blueprint-2-lyrics#" rel="nofollow - Every time there's a tragedy, I'm the first one to help
http://rapgenius.com/Jay-z-blueprint-2-lyrics#" rel="nofollow - They call me this misogynist, but they don't call me the dude
To take his dollars to give gifts at the projects

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 12:46pm
lol

i dont know if i'll be able to articulate this the way its in my head but fucck it

i think the disillusionment with jay that his core fans have is that jay is in a position to change the perception masses have of mature rappers. and yet he fails to do so.

has jay grown over the years? yes he has. he has shown a lot of growth between 96-06. after that its almost kind of a regression of sorts. however, the (sort of) reluctance to age, dress and act (rhyme) the senile petulance and the 'fucck you im jay' arrogance (harry belafonte), the false concern (trayvon martin) and the desire to be the 'niche' negro all point to him a having a midlife crisis.

like the article states even his endorsements lack conviction. its almost as if he is feeling the weight of his education (lack of) and age and is overcompensating on all fronts. jay should not need to name drop at this point is his career. he is at that point where he is the one who should be name dropped. its almost as if he isnt concerned with ownership and legacy building (like kanye and nick cannon for example) than he is about being paid to stand next to product and cheese.

he has been rapping about been the number 1 negro for almost 20 years and rapping bout been the exclusive negro with the exclusive things (whats the line again where he says this is one of one?) which has become a young boys game. furthermore, his main audience continues to mature and their mindsets are changing. we're in our thirties and forties now, we arent too concerned about popping bottles etc.. we are thinking investments, retirement plans trust funds etc etc etc.

he is a classic case of rap's main gripe with age and its unhealthy fixation with youth.

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 12:56pm
Maybe I'm different but I don't listen to Jay's album or any other artist's album to specifically motivate me...i don't look to them to address social issues, etc...if they want to, cool, if not, then ok too

I like Jay because lke I said every time I listen to his albums I know where he is in life....and while some of his "im rich I made it" songs are good, i fall in love with his songs that have a msg....like the songs I mentioned from Magna Carta...those songs stay on repeat more than anything else 

While it's nice to be idealistic and say rappers/entertainers need to use their platform to do this, that and the other...it's up to them, i don't feel like I can be mad about it if Jay doesn't mention every thing I find important. It's his life, he can pick and choose what he wants to rap about..i don't begrudge him for those things

As for the Barneys thing, I swear he renegotiated the contract so that rather than 75% (or was it 25%?) of proceeds going to the Shawn Carter Foundation, the whole 100% is going and Barney's doesn't get a lick? Yea it would've better if he cut ties but I also like this approach

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 12:58pm
mrshairdo, I'm curious. Were you a fan of Jay before him and Beyonce became linked?

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:00pm

mrshairdo, I'm curious. Were you a fan of Jay before him and Beyonce became linked?

yup! sure was
I grew up with a lot of hip hop in my house (my older brothers) so yea I was familiar with him from reasonable doubt and I liked him...but I became a really really big fan after dynasty and blueprint

I've followed his career for a long time so I've seen/heard him grow

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:01pm
the nig.ga is old and stale
honestly he should stop rapping and do other sh*t---idk...go play with Blue and go make Pink and Green with Bey

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:01pm
and i swear he's always talked about having money 
"partna i'm still spending money from '88"

what the problem is? LOL

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:02pm
Word. LOLThumbs Up

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:04pm
doing the same sh*t he dissed jaz o about

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:05pm
meh...its all subjective...i wouldnt be happy if jay retired, i love his music...and so do many others

u don't like it, don't listen....simple

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:06pm

lol
he is a classic case of rap's main gripe with age and its unhealthy fixation with youth.

I kind of feel like thats not a rap thing, but a rich ppl thing...
Most rappers know when to hang it up, even Snoop found a new niche.

Jay got lazy, i'll say that. But he's a man that has made it. I feel like that was his only goal. Some people live, breathe, and embody the struggle, others do what they gotta do till they make it out and they dont look back. Is it fcked up? On some level, yes. As big a star as he's become he does have a platform to create an awareness about crime and poverty and other social issues (if that makes sense). But the real question here is, is it his responsibility as an entertainer? I feel like us regular folk sometimes hold celebrities to standards we dont even hold ourselves to....

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:06pm

meh...its all subjective...i wouldnt be happy if jay retired, i love his music...and so do many others

it's a thread with commentary--i am providing mine and you yours
do i need to say IMO before every comment? if so IMO he is not providing anything fresh or new or particularly noteworthy
i don't directly financially contribute to that negro--Barneys collection? no thanks. Album? not interested. RoccaWear the now not urban label? neaux.

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:10pm
damn, i could have saved key strokes, most of what hairdo said LOL

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:10pm

lol

Jay got lazy, i'll say that. But he's a man that has made it. I feel like that was his only goal. Some people live, breathe, and embody the struggle, others do what they gotta do till they make it out and they dont look back. Is it fcked up? On some level, yes. As big a star as he's become he does have a platform to create an awareness about crime and poverty and other social issues (if that makes sense). But the real question here is, is it his responsibility as an entertainer? I feel like us regular folk sometimes hold celebrities to standards we dont even hold ourselves to....
its a rap thing

rockers etc etc have no problem getting old their music reflecting that and taking their shows on tour etc etc

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:12pm
^I'm not sure I understand...elaborate on this rap vs. youth thing compared to rock?

Lyrical substance?
Image portrayal?
Lifestyle?
whatchumeanboo?

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

it's a thread with commentary--i am providing mine and you yours
do i need to say IMO before every comment? if so IMO he is not providing anything fresh or new or particularly noteworthy
i don't directly financially contribute to that negro--Barneys collection? no thanks. Album? not interested. RoccaWear the now not urban label? neaux.

ok epitome LOL

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:14pm

lol

What niche did snoop find? please tell me its something other than his disastrous foray into reg.gae.

When I read this article I thought of rt and afro mhmm.

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:16pm

lol

exactly and this is what annoys me about ppl....it's not written in stone that celebs have to use their influence for what we deem necessary...it's their life...thats where ppl go wrong....it's like we forget our own power...who cares what jay's doing, you don't like barneys? You and your friends boycott it, start a petition, do your own thing

The trayvon showed me that real ppl can effect change themselves....we did it on our own...the celebs and al sharpton's came later

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:16pm
maybe niche wasnt the right word LOL
a "hobby" not especially reflective of youth culture

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:17pm

damn, i could have saved key strokes, most of what hairdo said LOL

Embarrassed

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:45pm

maybe niche wasnt the right word LOL
a "hobby" not especially reflective of youth culture

So the youth dem naah meds no reg.gae? Here we do. But I kno what you're saying.

Snoop has an entire nation and the rastafari movement gunning for his disrespectful pretentious and whack ass. Make that focker ever win that Grammy

Raps distant cousin or forebear (depending on who you ask) dancehall the elder deejays just said eff the older crowds snd cater almost exclusively to the youth highschool aged. Its depressing. Dudes same age bracket as jay dressing acting and deejaying like theyre twenty two. Smoke weed buss guns eff girls the occasional ghetto youths are the greatest rinse and rass repeat. I blame the incarcerated one and others too. He dumbed it down so badly and did do well the other copycats did the same. His current work gets more "forward" cause the youth never knew when he was great.

Yall lucky jay tries somewhat cause if I hear one more girls wine up skin out tune im gonna scream

Eta the slackness is at an all time high or low lol. Honestly! Just saying the worst thing imaginable just for the shock value another kartel schtick. And its not cause im older cause shabba and them were slack but these cats just lame and unimaginative.
Please free Buju Banton

Rant over.

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:47pm
DP

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:56pm
I was just about to write about rap and age but my computer froze. Don't feel like re-writing that titangraph but what I was going to say was nearly all other genres support their aging artist. You see rockers, jazz musicians, country singers, etc, releasing critically and commercially acclaimed music in their 50s, 60s, 70s. Johnny Cash was releasing popular music right up to  his death at age 71.

Rap is like a teenager compared to most genres, so the sample size of older rap stars is small. But I think it's safe to say that the first golden age rappers faded into obscurity as the genre all but abandoned them, even as they released music...cats like Kool G Rap, Rakim, De La Soul, KRS.

Now we're getting to the second golden age rappers, like Nas, Common, Jay, Eminem. It'll be interesting to see how they are received as they get into their 50s, 60's. They might quit rapping altogether, because rappers aren't encouraged to keep rapping into late age...it's perceived that rap is a young mans game. So rappers might get ridiculed by fans who are annoyed that they are still rapping. It isn't like that with other genres.

Since rap is so lyic-focused, and thoughts get expressed in much more detail than other genres of music, I think rappers like Jay also run the risk of running out of things to say. He's like 12 albums deep, and even in 2003 he was saying 'what more can I say?'...

I think that may be one of the things Afro was getting at. Jay, and Nas, and Common, and the aging rappers are in a position to change the perception of older rap stars. They have a chance to create a lane for hip hop over the next decades that celebrates older age, maturity, growth, and the separation from the young cats. And since Jay is the oldest and most popular, his platform is greater than all. He isn't doing much with that platform though...except reinforcing that rap is a young mans game. That's disappointing, especially since he is always comparing himself to the Beatles...a comparison that falls flat when you consider the growth of those members vs the arguable regression/stagnation of Jay.

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 2:01pm

I was just about to write about rap and age but my computer froze. Don't feel like re-writing that titangraph but what I was going to say was nearly all other genres support their aging artist. You see rockers, jazz musicians, country singers, etc, releasing critically and commercially acclaimed music in their 50s, 60s, 70s. Johnny Cash was releasing popular music right up to  his death at age 71.

Rap is like a teenager compared to most genres, so the sample size of older rap stars is small. But I think it's safe to say that the first golden age rappers faded into obscurity as the genre all but abandoned them, even as they released music...cats like Kool G Rap, Rakim, De La Soul, KRS.

Now we're getting to the second golden age rappers, like Nas, Common, Jay, Eminem. It'll be interesting to see how they are received as they get into their 50s, 60's. They might quit rapping altogether, because rappers aren't encouraged to keep rapping into late age...it's perceived that rap is a young mans game. So rappers might get ridiculed by fans who are annoyed that they are still rapping. It isn't like that with other genres.

Since rap is so lyic-focused, and thoughts get expressed in much more detail than other genres of music, I think rappers like Jay also run the risk of running out of things to say. He's like 12 albums deep, and even in 2003 he was saying 'what more can I say?'...

I think that may be one of the things Afro was getting at. Jay, and Nas, and Common, and the aging rappers are in a position to change the perception of older rap stars. They have a chance to create a lane for hip hop over the next decades that celebrates older age, maturity, growth, and the separation from the young cats. And since Jay is the oldest and most popular, his platform is greater than all. He isn't doing much with that platform though...except reinforcing that rap is a young mans game. That's disappointing, especially since he is always comparing himself to the Beatles...a comparison that falls flat when you consider the growth of those members vs the arguable regression/stagnation of Jay.

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 2:05pm
Ah very good explanation  RT Clap

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 6:44pm
Those who are saying to buy his old albums, I think y'all are missing the point.

Talking about Hermes and Margiela isn't progress. It's the same hood mentality from Reasonable Doubt/Hard Knock Life...just on a different scale.

It's like okayyyy Jay, we get it, you're on an island, on a yacht, sipping something expensive, before you got rich, you sold drugs and lived in the pj's...your uncle said you weren't gonna amount to anything....we believe you...you don't need more people, you've made it clear.

But what's next? There's no substance to Jay...he's just a puppet.

Print Page | Close Window