Print Page | Close Window

Heart Wrenching! UPDATE

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=366915
Printed Date: Nov 19 2017 at 2:52pm

Topic: Heart Wrenching! UPDATE
Posted By: 510QUEEN
Subject: Heart Wrenching! UPDATE
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 4:06pm
surgery!

Girl, brain dead after tonsil surgery, to be taken off life support

•  65 4441 84 4886
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/img/photos/2013/12/16/db/d0/JahiMcMathSchool1.jpg" rel="nofollow - View Larger  
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/lt_cache/thumbnail/400/img/photos/2013/12/16/db/d0/JahiMcMathSchool1.jpg" rel="nofollow">Jahi McMath (school photo)
Jahi McMath (school photo)

Related

http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/oakland-doctors-pulling-plug-on-girl-left-brain/vCLTZS/" rel="nofollow">OAKLAND: Doctors pulling plug on girl left brain dead after routine surgery gallery
http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/oakland-doctors-pulling-plug-on-girl-left-brain/vCLTZS/" rel="nofollow - OAKLAND: Doctors pulling plug on girl left brain dead after routine surgery

Sponsored Links

By  http://www.ktvu.com/staff/john-fowler/" rel="nofollow - John Fowler

KTVU.com and wires

OAKLAND, Calif. — 

A 13-year-old Oakland girl will be removed from life support on Tuesday because she's been declared brain dead after she suffered complications following a routine tonsil-removal procedure, her uncle said Monday.

Jahi McMath, an eighth-grade student at the E.C. Reems Academy of Technology and Arts in Oakland, was declared brain dead last Thursday after she went into cardiac arrest while recovering from having her tonsils removed at Children's Hospital Oakland days before.

Under state law, brain death must be determined by two different doctors doing two different sets of tests at least 3 hours apart.

In a meeting with McMath’s family Monday, the head of the hospital’s pediatrics department said that because she had been declared dead under state law, McMath would be pulled from life support.

“We didn't want her to be removed from life support but the decision is out of our hands because it's been declared a legal death,” said Omari Sealey, 27, McMath’s uncle.

Though the Alameda County Coroner reportedly wanted to pick up McMath’s body on Monday, hospital officials told her family that her life support would not be pulled until the next day so they could have more time with her.

Sealey said McMath went to Children's Hospital Oakland on Dec. 9 to have her tonsils removed to cure a sleep apnea problem.

But he said McMath had trouble breathing and suffered “an enormous amount of bleeding” after the surgery, which is typically a routine procedure.

“No one knew what was going on,” said Sealey.

Her troubles continued for several days after that, and then on Thursday McMath went into cardiac arrest and was declared brain dead.

Dr. David Durand, the chief of Children's pediatric department, said in a statement that the hospital is “reviewing her case very closely.”

“Our hearts go out to her family and we want to support them during this extremely difficult time,” said Durand’s statement.

But he also said the hospital can't disclose any of the details of McMath's case because her family has asked it not to disclose them to the news media.

“With any surgical or medical procedure there are inherent risks and in rare occasions there are unexpected outcomes,” said Melinda Krigel, a spokesperson for the hospital.

Dr. Daniel Robbins, a pediatrician based in Lafayette, told KTVU on Monday that patients die in about one in 25,000 tonsillectomies.

“There are pros and cons that need to be thought through carefully, said Dr. Robbins of Lamorinda Pediatrics. “But by and large this actually is a procedure that is relatively safe fewer and fewer children now have it done although it can dramatically improve, say, sleep apnea that her family says Jahi had.”

The procedure consists of a surgeon removing enlarged tissues at the back of the throat tonsils and sometimes adenoids. Complications, though rare, include post-operative bleeding and drug interactions.

Sealey said McMath didn't want to undergo the tonsil-removal procedure and told her mother, Nailah Winkfield, before she went under that “something bad is going to happen to me.”

But Sealey said Winkfield, his sister, told McMath that the surgery would help her sleep better and she shouldn't worry because the hospital “is the best hospital” and the surgeon was the best in his field.

Winkfield said she “feels guilty” about convincing Jahi to have the procedure, according to Sealey.

“Something terrible went wrong,” Sealey said. “We hope the hospital's investigation is conducted fairly and we get some answers.”

Sealey said he was in the hospital room with McMath during and after her surgery and has been sleeping in McMath's room along with other family members.

“I saw blood come out of her mouth,” said Sealey. “The images will stick with me forever.”

Sealey described McMath as “a very sweet girl who is very innocent and pure.”

“She always laughed and giggled and never frowned and was everyone's favorite,” said Sealey.

McMath has an older sister and a younger brother, according to Sealey.

“She was the glue in my sister's household because she told everyone to clean their room” and do other things around the house, said Sealey.

“We've lost a very precious gift to the world,” Sealey said. “This is a severe loss to our entire family.”

The family told KTVU that as of Monday evening there was no decision yet on whether to donate McMath's organs for transplant.

Replies:
Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 4:09pm
no.... Cry

i can't even begin to imagine how her mother must feel. 

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 4:10pm
Damn I know her mom feels awful.

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 4:11pm
Damn..
My heart goes out to their family.

Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 4:16pm
After something terrible happened in my family one time when my mother and her siblings were younger( they didn't want to go someplace, and my grandmother forced them and something horrible happened)

My mother vowed to never force her children to go any place they did not feel good about going.
I'd gotten out of going to school this way lots of times lol
But we call it 'jumping hurdles' and we never do it anymore.

Posted By: patternsandtexture
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 4:18pm
Sad, I think the hospital fcuked up and know they did PR she was experimented on.

Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 4:22pm
yeah and they were asking for help the doctors were lackadaisical. just so heart wrenching

Posted By: BrownQtee
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 4:22pm
Smh.

Posted By: Qualified
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 5:00pm
Geez!!! Thats so sad!

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 5:01pm
Wtf???

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 6:51pm
That is so sad.. I know her mom is feeling really horrible right now. That must be hard on her whole family.. Rip Angel..

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 6:54pm
Was her weight a factor? I know at a certain weight surgery is a higher risk.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 6:56pm
aww RIP and comfort for her loved ones

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 7:26pm

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 8:30pm
her family is on Piers Morgan (coming up). They are fighting to keep her on life support. 

Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 8:36pm
Mom says the hospital is putting pressure on her to take off life supportCry. She feels like if they give her more time she will wake up.

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing.
I don't understand how can a hospital have the right to remove someone from life support. That should always be the family's decision.

Posted By: Senior Detective
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing.
I don't understand how can a hospital have the right to remove someone from life support. That should always be the family's decision.
it costs money. if the insurance aint paying anymore, the hospital might wanna free up the bed for a paying patient.  Hippocratic oath my ass

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 10:06pm
The hospital should pay for the life support and the procedure should be free...the parents should sue if the doctors messed up. It should be the family's decision not the hospitals. I hope they keep her on life support. Miracles can happen.

Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Mom says the hospital is putting pressure on her to take off life supportCry. She feels like if they give her more time she will wake up.

I definitely feel for what she's going through but there's no waking up from brain death.

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 10:46pm
People have come out of comas after years--its rare however.  The brain of a young person still can do amazing things and overcome damage possibly.  I don't know exactly what I would do if my child was declared brain dead...Cry

Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

People have come out of comas after years--its rare however.  The brain of a young person still can do amazing things and overcome damage possibly.  I don't know exactly what I would do if my child was declared brain dead...Cry
hmmmm...

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 11:25pm
is this a matter of $$$/insurance????????????

Posted By: Jess
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

After something terrible happened in my family one time when my mother and her siblings were younger( they didn't want to go someplace, and my grandmother forced them and something horrible happened)

My mother vowed to never force her children to go any place they did not feel good about going.
I'd gotten out of going to school this way lots of times lol
But we call it 'jumping hurdles' and we never do it anymore.

Something like that happened to me...but not serious.

My dad forced me to go outside with my sister and ride bikes.  I didn't want to go.  Anyway, I fell off my bike and scarred up my leg something fierce.

Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

is this a matter of $$$/insurance????????????

NOPE THEIR INSURANCE IS STILL PAYING AND EVEN is willing ot pay for them to insert a feed tube.  Let me get an update article

Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 2:15pm

OAKLAND, Calif. — 

The family of a 13-year-old brain dead girl at Children's Hospital Oakland said they won a victory Tuesday after hospital officials announced they would keep her on life support indefinitely.

The parents of Jahi McMath were preparing to file a cease-and-desist order request Tuesday after hospital officials said the day before that they were planning to remove the teenager from life support.

“I just don't think I can sit here and let them take her,” said McMath’s mother Nailah Winkfield. “I'm her mother I'll fight for her to the end.”

All day and night, family and friends kept a vigil as McMath lay in the hospital ICU brain dead.

“She did not come in her like this," said Winkfield. "She was not a sick child; she was perfectly healthy."

According to medical staff, there was no good description for McMath's condition. She's not alive but her heart is beating and a ventilator keeps her breathing.

Doctors ran another test on McMath Tuesday morning searching for some sign of improvement in her brain activity. The family, who were huddling around the little girl in the ICU unit, was awaiting word of those test results.

“I asked them last night -- can you run another test on her?” said Winkfield. “To me there’s no limit. I asked the man (doctor) – ‘Do you have children?’ He said yes…Then you’ll want somebody to run an extra test to see if you’re child has brain activity.”

Then later Tuesday afternoon, Winkfield, along with McMath’s uncle Omari Sealey and lawyer Christopher Dolan, announced to reporters that hospital officials informed them that McMath would be kept on life support indefinitely.

The announcement came after Dolan delivered a letter demanding the hospital not terminate life support Tuesday morning.

“The hospital has now backed off from the efforts to remove live support,” said Dolan.

“We're not on doctor's time anymore we're on god's time, providing us more time to get together and pray,” said Sealey.

McMath, an eighth-grade student at the E.C. Reems Academy of Technology and Arts in Oakland, went to Children's Hospital Oakland on Dec. 9 to have her tonsils removed to cure a sleep apnea problem.

But Sealey said McMath had trouble breathing and suffered “an enormous amount of bleeding” after the surgery, which had been expected to be routine.

“No one knew what was going on” for several days, according to Sealey.

On Thursday, McMath went into cardiac arrest and was later declared brain dead.

The following Monday, hospital officials had told the family that the little girl would be taken off life support.

The family had asked hospital staff to feed McMath through a tube and give antibiotics. They say her insurance continues to pay.

“We didn't want her to be removed from life support but the decision is out of our hands because it’s been declared a legal death,” said Sealey.

“We need her on as long as possible, because I really believe that god will wake her up,” said Winkfield.

The announcement has signaled the beginning of an “ethical standoff” Tuesday.

End of life experts say no one has ever recovered from brain death, as it's not a coma or vegetative state.

Medical ethicists told KTVU on Tuesday that brain death means “legally dead” and actually that no one is required to keep a dead body on a ventilator.

American Academy of Neurology guidelines require only one bedside exam to determine whether or not a patient is brain dead and as of Tuesday, Children's hospital has apparently done several.

Experts told KTVU that the hospital was extending McMath's life support only out of compassion for her surviving family who, almost cruelly, see the appearance of life.

“If her heart is still beating, why are you trying to take her off life support? Obviously there's still a chance she can survive,” said Betty Chapman, McMath’s aunt.

The family says if the hospital attempts to remove McMath’s life support, they'll go to court to try to get an injunction.

According to Sealey, the family planned to hold a public prayer meeting on Wednesday at the Paradise Baptist church in Oakland. The event is supposed to run from 6 to 7 p.m. and it will be open to the public.

"We are asking everyone across the world to pray with us," said Sealey.

Posted By: EasterBell
Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 2:17pm
There is no coming back from brain dead.. it's irreversible. RIP to that little girl.Unhappy

Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 2:19pm

VIDEOS  BELOW

Posted By: EasterBell
Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 2:28pm
Hopefully, the family takes the time to come to terms with the untimely loss and cut the life support.. It's a sad situation all around, but they will grow to understand they can no longer prolong the inevitable..

Posted By: BrownQtee
Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 3:00pm
I understand that she will probably not come back from this, but I mean damn...the hospital is dead ass wrong for trying to pull the plug so quickly. Give them some time to deal with this unexpected tragedy SMH

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 3:02pm
aaaaaand then the update made me feel less sorry for them. 

keeping her on life support isn't going to bring her back. it comes off as grasping at straws in a selfish attempt to feel less guilty for making the little girl go through with surgery.  

eventually they have to accept that she's not coming back and try to grieve and gain the closure they can. smh.

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 4:31pm
Oh wow. Horrible news.
RIP

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 4:34pm
I am terrified of surgery.
If its not life threatening, I'll probably pass.

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 5:14pm
There is a big ol' elephant in the room...

But anyway, this is sad. Surgery is always a gamble, regardless of how routine it is. Hopefully her parents can let her go and rest.

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 6:57pm
If this is a way for her parents to let go of their daughter and gain closure, then so be it. If she does gain consciousness, she won't be the same and could very well have brain damage, but that won't be the case. Very sad either way.... Unhappy

Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

What is it?

Posted By: oh_so_moody
Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

aaaaaand then the update made me feel less sorry for them. 

keeping her on life support isn't going to bring her back. it comes off as grasping at straws in a selfish attempt to feel less guilty for making the little girl go through with surgery.  

eventually they have to accept that she's not coming back and try to grieve and gain the closure they can. smh.

I'm conflicted but agree with you on so many points.

And just to reiterate, any type of medical procedure is a risk. When you go get your teeth cleaned, there is still risk.

I believe there may be underlying medical conditions and it not always the dr. Or the medical centers fault whn the human body doesn't respond the way we would expect it to.

I pray for closure of her family. I do believe after the holidays, they'll be more willing to move forward with this unfortunate chain of events.

Posted By: Prtybrwneye_z
Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 10:08pm
I'm sure it is a difficulty decision for parents to make, especially when one day their healthy child with so much promise was waking around fine and the next doctors are telling them there is no hope

The right to die debate has always been controversial. They kept Terri Schiavo alive via feeding tubes etc for years...

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

What is it?

Nah I ain't getting caught up today...I've learned I need to keep my views to myself on bhm.

Date Posted: Dec 18 2013 at 10:29pm

What is it?

Nah I ain't getting caught up today...I've learned I need to keep my views to myself on bhm.

Can you PM me? I have no idea. Does it have to do with her size? cuz that was mentioned already, but I don't think her size had anything to do with it but then again I'm not a doctor.

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Dec 19 2013 at 3:34am
Brain death?

What is that 20000 brain cells dying each minute? Nooo within a week her brain matter will be mush. :(

Best to let her go and donate her organs to people who would die without her organs.

They need to grieve yes, but at some point ... they will have to snap out of this. The child is gone.

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Dec 19 2013 at 3:42am
Originally posted by Prtybrwneye_z Prtybrwneye_z wrote:

I'm sure it is a difficulty decision for parents to make, especially when one day their healthy child with so much promise was waking around fine and the next doctors are telling them there is no hope

The right to die debate has always been controversial. They kept Terri Schiavo alive via feeding tubes etc for years...

Yes, but the Terri Schiavo case was different. THEY did not keep her alive for years ... it was a conflict between the husband and the parents.

The husband petitioned to have the feeding tubes removed and just let her die as she has severe brain damage but the parents fought ... so they went back and forth with the courts always overturning the last decision.

In this case - it's the parents alone that say they want her on life support indefinitely. I think that is cruel.

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Dec 19 2013 at 5:06am
CryCry Very sad

Posted By: Brownsugar1
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 7:18am

Relatives seek extended care for brain-dead California girl

Courtesy Of Mcmath Family And Om / AP

This undated photo provided by the McMath family and Omari Sealey shows Jahi McMath. McMath remains on life support at Children's Hospital in Oakland, Calif. nearly a week after doctors declared her brain dead, following a supposedly routine tonsillectomy.

By Laila Kearney, Reuters

SAN FRANCISCO — Relatives of a California girl declared brain dead after complications from a tonsillectomy want her moved to a long-term care facility, but face resistance from the hospital where she is due to be disconnected from a breathing machine on Monday.

The family of 13-year-old Jahi McMath, who has been without brain function and on a ventilator for two weeks at Children's Hospital in Oakland, Calif., said they had found an extended-care center willing to take the girl on an indefinite basis, hospital officials said on Friday.

But the center will not accept Jahi unless she has surgically implanted ports for breathing and feeding tubes placed in her body before the transfer, family attorney Christopher Dolan said on Thursday. He declined to name the facility.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31066137/media-kit/" rel="nofollow - - AdChoices

< width="300" height="250" ="http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_util/s/perfectmarket?width=300&height=250" border="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true">

Children's Hospital has agreed to allow Jahi to be moved, but has declined to perform additional procedures on her, hospital spokesman Sam Singer said on Friday.

The family would be required to find an outside physician to implant tracheotomy and gastric tubes in the girl and supply lawful transportation services for her, Singer said. Hospital officials also would need to know the name of the facility taking Jahi, but that information had not been provided, he added.

Children's Hospital's chief of pediatric medicine, Dr. David Durand, said in a statement that the hospital "does not believe that performing surgical procedures on the body of a deceased person is an appropriate medical practice."

Dolan could not be reached for comment on Friday, but was quoted in local media as saying the family was looking at various legal options, including seeking federal court intervention in the case.

"They (Children's Hospital) don't want the attention that's going on over there, so just help us to get her out of there," Jahi's mother, Nailah Winkfield, told CNN on Friday.

Kristopher Skinner / Zuma Press file

Nailah Winkfield, mother of Jahi McMath, sits with her husband, Martin Winkfield, while attending a court hearing on Dec. 23, to discuss the treatment of 13-year-old daughter Jahi McMath. Jahi remains on a ventilator at Children's Hospital Oakland, Calif. after suffering tragic complications during surgery.

"I would probably need my child's heart to stop to show me that she was dead," Winkfield said. "Her heart was still beating, so there's still life there."

According to medical experts, Jahi's lungs and heart are only continuing to function artificially because of air being forced in and out of her body by the ventilator, without which her breathing and heartbeat would cease. Unlike an individual in a coma or a vegetative state, Jahi lacks any brain activity whatsoever, rendering her unable to breathe on her own, doctors said.

Jahi was admitted to the hospital on Dec. 9 for surgery to remove her tonsils as a means of treating her sleep apnea. Shortly after the procedure, she began to bleed severely, suffered a heart attack and brain swelling, Dolan said. Hospital officials declared her brain dead on Dec. 12.

The girl's family, who has expressed hope that Jahi might recover despite her diagnosis, won a restraining order on Monday barring the hospital from removing her from a ventilator.

On Tuesday, following court testimony by two pediatric neurologists that Jahi was beyond recovery, Alameda County Superior Court Judge Evelio Grillo denied a request by relatives to extend his restraining order, which prohibits the hospital from taking her off the breathing machine without the family's consent before Monday at 5 p.m. local time.

Related:

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 10:25am
i understand them not wanting to let her go and hoping for a miracle.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 10:31am
i wonder  how much it costs to keep her alive forever.. seems like insurance would only pay for it for so long. 

i think they should just let her go.. have miracles happened to ppl brain dead (not a coma) for 2 weeks? 

Posted By: PeacefulOne
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

have miracles happened to ppl brain dead (not a coma) for 2 weeks? 

No. But a few people I know make me believe it may be possible.

Prayers for her family.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

i wonder  how much it costs to keep her alive forever.. seems like insurance would only pay for it for so long. 

i think they should just let her go.. have miracles happened to ppl brain dead (not a coma) for 2 weeks? 

i just read this article on a guy that woke up after a day or two of the doctors saying there was no brain activity and no blood flowing to the brain:

http://www.today.com/id/23775873#.Ur8TcbSRKg1" rel="nofollow - http://www.today.com/id/23775873#.Ur8TcbSRKg1

Posted By: PeacefulOne
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

i just read this article on a guy that woke up after a day or two of the doctors saying there was no brain activity and no blood flowing to the brain:

http://www.today.com/id/23775873#.Ur8TcbSRKg1" rel="nofollow - http://www.today.com/id/23775873#.Ur8TcbSRKg1

I hope that happens for this child.
but I think the doctors misdiagnosed the young man in the video.
thank god for nurses!

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 12:37pm
they need the surgeon and the anaesthetist investigated

my gut instinct is that someone fuccked up and gave her the wrong meds

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Dec 28 2013 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

I feel its this and her weight...people dont understand obesity really affect surgery

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 10:37am
Jahi McMath’s Mom Write’s Open Letter: “I Feel Like She Is On Death Row”

December 28, 2013 Filed under Health, News, Uncategorized Posted byStaff

Almost a month after a routine tonsillectomy, young Jahi McMath still remains on life support at Children’s Hospital in Oakland, California after suffering extreme complications due to the surgery.After doctors refuse to keep the teen on life support or perform any further surgeries because she’s legally “dead”, Jahi’s mother Nailah Winkfield has written an open letter to the world, addressing in details what happened to her 13-year old daughter on December 9th:

An Open Letter From A Mother To The World

I am a mother. She is my daughter. I am alive. Despite what they say, she is alive. I can touch her, she is warm. She responds to my touch. I can love her – I can feel her love. When she was in my belly I fell in love with her. Her heartbeat for the beginning of her life was my heartbeat until God, through a miracle, sparked her heart into existence. Given time I know he will spark her brain awake.

She is Jahi a name that means known by many. If she knew about all this attention she would blush. She is very shy.

My daughter sits on life support. I feel like she is on death row. The clock is ticking – ticking down. Childrens Hospital Oakland says she is dead. She was not dead when I brought her here on December 9th for a routine tonsillectomy. I put her in their hands, now they want to wash their hands of her.

Jahi had an operation. I was told it went well. Then she started bleeding from her mouth. They gave me a cup for her to bleed into and said it was normal. She bled more and more. I couldn’t keep up with it. I asked for help, they gave me a bigger bucket. She bled more. They did not answer our pleas for a doctor. Her surgeon never came back. She had a heart attack and her heart stopped beating. Then they came- then. They shocked her back into life. Now they say she is dead.

Before the surgery she said I am scared mommy. I said why Jahi? She said I am afraid I wont wake up. I told her it was going to be fine, it was a simple procedure. I should have listened to her.

She is on a respirator – with air she lives, her heart beats, her kidneys produce urine, she is warm and soft. They have been pressuring me to “pull the plug.” I can’t. I won’t. I can’t let them kill my baby a second time.I am fighting for her life. Each breath the vent gives her one more chance to live and gets her one step closer to the hospital’s deadline. What a word. I never thought they could tell me, her mother, they were going to pull the plug take her body to the morgue and send us home on Christmas while she lays in a freezer. She is warm now. I want my baby to be warm. We need time.

The Hospital says she is legally dead. That they can legally stop her breathing. I am not a lawyer. We called many in the middle of the night Monday as they were coming to unplug her Tuesday night. One answered the call. We stopped them. Every day is a struggle. We fight for Jahi. We have a temporary restraining order until Monday – then the Judge can say my baby is legally dead and Childrens can unplug her. It doesn’t matter what I say. I never thought I would have to go to court to get a hospital to treat my child.

Hold your children tight. Tell them you love them. I tell my daughter over and over. I know she can hear me. If she has any brain activity when they do the independent tests she will be kept alive. Pray for my daughter Jahi, pray that she will get better so they don’t kill her. Pray for me, mothers, that my love can bring her life once more.

Nailah and her attorneys are currently fighting to have Jahi placed in a nursing home to refrain doctors at the Oakland hospital from taking Jahi off a ventilator according to CBS News.

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 12:57pm
Cry

Date Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 1:00pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKv-0XYYhiw#t=60" rel="nofollow - x

Date Posted: Dec 30 2013 at 11:14am

Time, options running out for family of Jahi McMath

The family of a California girl declared brain dead after complications from tonsil surgery is running out of time to find a new facility to take her in and keep her on a ventilator. 

A judge's ruling will allow Children's Hospital Oakland to remove 13-year-old Jahi McMath from life support at 5 p.m. local time Monday unless her family appeals.

The family is now pinning its hopes on a New York facility after two California care homes withdrew offers to accept the teen.

Jahi's uncle, Omari Sealey, put out on Instagram on Sunday that "we are going to fight until the very last second."

Chris Dolan, the family's attorney, said he was waiting to hear from the New York hospital after its facility director and medical director speak. He wouldn't provide the hospital's name, saying the media attention could hurt Jahi's chance of being transferred there.

On Sunday, the hospital said it had not heard from the New York, or any other, facility about a transfer.

"We need to be able to talk to the other facility to understand what it is they are capable of doing,'' Cynthia Chiarappa, a hospital spokeswoman, said Sunday.

"This is not transferring an individual in a vegetative state, but a dead body.''

Dolan did not immediately return a message seeking comment on Sunday, but said previously that the family views the New York site as it's "last, last hope.''

Jahi underwent a tonsillectomy at the hospital on Dec. 9 to treat sleep apnea. After she awoke from the operation, her family said, she started bleeding heavily from her mouth and went into cardiac arrest.

Doctors at Children's Hospital and an independent pediatric neurologist from Stanford University have concluded the girl is brain dead.

The hospital wants to remove her from life support, but the family said they believe she is still alive.Another hospital spokesman,

Sam Singer, told NBC Bay Area on Sunday that "no amount of hope or prayer can bring her back.  Everyone in this hospital, in the community, her family and her friends are grieivng because this is irreversible and a very sad situation."

— The Associated Press and NBC Bay Area staff

Date Posted: Dec 30 2013 at 11:35am
THANK YOU^^^ girl this is starting to be some much.  The family lawyer and the Hospital's has been arguing on the news!  just a mess

Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Dec 30 2013 at 11:49am
My son had his tonsils removed this past Sept on outpatient surgery. The Dr that performed told us of my son bleed from the mouth or seemed to continue swallowing to go to emergency room asap, call him and have him paged from ER.

Strange nurses didnt even go to assess the patient.

Date Posted: Dec 30 2013 at 12:03pm
Now the New York hospital had pulled out too.  Now they have no other options.  

Date Posted: Dec 30 2013 at 12:33pm
Poor mom. Has to be hard losing a child. was the mom willing to move to New York if the facility was able to accept her.

Date Posted: Dec 30 2013 at 1:50pm

UPDATE: Children's Hospital Oakland released a letter that was sent to Dolan from hospital attorney Douglas Straus:

Chris,

I learned from your statements to the media that the Southern California sub-acute facility will not accept Jahi McMath’s body because the physicians there do not want to treat a dead body.  Children’s Hospital understands that this is a very difficult time for Jahi’s family.  Children’s will continue to do what it can do to support the family.  In that regard, Children’s position has been consistent:

1.  Children’s will be pleased to communicate directly with a physician at any facility that is considering accepting Jahi’s body to make sure Children’s understands the requirements set by that facility for accepting the body and to ensure that the facility understands the current condition of the dead body and what is being done to maintain it under Judge Grillo’s temporary restraining order.  Of course, the family’s representatives can observe that communication.

2.  Children’s needs to be assured that there is a lawful transportation plan to any facility to which transfer is proposed.

3.  If the proposed facility is out-of-state, Children’s needs written assurances from the Coroner that their office will allow the transfer.

To date, there has been no communication from any facility named by you regarding a transfer or requirements for transfer with any of the medical professionals at Children’s.  The family has not identified any facility with which Children’s can have this dialogue.  Nor have we been provided with a transportation plan or coroner authorization.

As your email and your statements about the facility in the Los Angeles area acknowledge, discussion about performing medical procedures upon a dead body presents unusual and complicated questions.  Until there is a definite commitment by a facility to accept Jahi’s body upon specified terms, I don’t think I can tackle those issues.  Please let me know if the family is able to identify a facility.”

Doug Straus

Date Posted: Dec 30 2013 at 1:52pm
Truly heart breaking.

Date Posted: Dec 30 2013 at 2:15pm
The constant reference of jahi as "treatment of dead body" bothers me.   

Thanks for updates 510queen

Date Posted: Dec 30 2013 at 2:23pm
So the child's death would be preferable to an "unlawful transfer"? Ermm

Posted By: Bekah
Date Posted: Dec 30 2013 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Brain death?

What is that 20000 brain cells dying each minute? Nooo within a week her brain matter will be mush. :(

Best to let her go and donate her organs to people who would die without her organs.

They need to grieve yes, but at some point ... they will have to snap out of this. The child is gone.
I have to agree with you on this one..  The family just does not want to come to terms with the fact she's gone.

Date Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 8:17am

Hospital won't aid transfer of girl on ventilator

AP of Associated Press

A California hospital will not let an outside doctor fit a teen declared brain dead with breathing and feeding tubes so she can be safely transferred elsewhere.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?form=MSNNDL&q=Oakland,%20California,%20United%20States" rel="nofollow - OAKLAND, Calif. — A California hospital is unwilling to allow an outside doctor to fit a 13-year-old declared brain dead after tonsil surgery with the breathing and feeding tubes that would allow her to be safely transferred to another facility, its lawyer said Tuesday.

Children's Hospital Oakland will not permit the procedures to be performed on its premises because Jahi McMath is legally dead in the view of doctors who have examined her, lawyer Douglas Straus wrote in a letter to the girl's family.

Teen declared brain dead: Jahi McMath

AP Photo: McMath Family and Omari Sealey

Jahi McMath

"Performing medical procedures on the body of a deceased human being is simply not something Children's Hospital can do or ask its staff to assist in doing," he said.

The refusal reversed the position articulated on Monday by a hospital spokesman. He said the hospital would allow a doctor retained by the family to insert a feeding tube and to replace the oral ventilator keeping Jahi's heart beating with a tracheal tube — surgical procedures that would stabilize Jahi if she is moved to a facility willing to keep caring for her.

Christopher Dolan, the lawyer for Jahi's mother, Nailah Winkfield, said he received the news as he tried to confirm the conditions under which the hospital would have allowed a visiting doctor and nail down the long-term care facility that might accept the girl as a patient. Dolan said he has been talking with the New Beginnings Community Center in Medford, N.Y., an outpatient client for people with traumatic brain injuries, and with an unnamed facility in Arizona.

Related: http://news.msn.com/us/qanda-girls-brain-death-ignites-difficult-debate?ocid=msnnws" rel="nofollow - Q&A: Girl's brain death ignites difficult debate

The New York facility didn't immediately return calls seeking comment.

"They're speaking out of both sides of their mouths. They say one thing and we go down that road, and then they say something else," Dolan said of hospital officials. "The hospital said, 'Bring us a doctor' and we said, 'Tell us the conditions' and now, they've wasted a half a day of our time. We don't have much time."

Meanwhile, a state appeals court on Tuesday refused to order the hospital to insert the tubes, saying the issue has to go first to the lower court judge who has ordered the hospital to keep the girl on a ventilator until Jan. 7 pending the family's appeal. The 1st District Court of Appeal said it would consider the issue at a later date, if necessary.

Straus, the hospital's lawyer, reiterated in his letter that the hospital would release the girl's body as soon as her family provided a detailed plan outlining how the move would be accomplished and written permission from the coroner. But he said neither has been submitted.

"No facility has stated, unconditionally or otherwise, that it is prepared to immediately accept Jahi's body," he wrote.

Jahi underwent a tonsillectomy and related procedures at Children's Hospital on Dec. 9 to treat sleep apnea. Her family said she went into cardiac arrest after she started coughing up blood in the recovery room. She was declared brain dead three days later. The hospital then moved to take her off the machines that are keeping her heart and lungs going a few days before Christmas.

Doctors at Children's Hospital and an independent pediatric neurologist from Stanford University have concluded Jahi is brain dead.

Her family, citing religious beliefs and the hope that she will pull through, wants to continue life support. Alameda County Superior Court Judge Evelio Grillo initially ruled that doctors could remove her from the ventilator at 5 p.m. Monday, but two hours before the deadline gave the family another week to find a place to move her.

Straus filed papers on Monday in both the state appeals court and in a federal court where Jahi's mother also has sued. He is opposing the family's request for an emergency order to keep Jahi on a ventilator indefinitely.

"The Superior Court correctly concluded, after three days of hearings and based on uncontroverted evidence, that Ms. McMath is, sadly, deceased," the papers state. "Turning off a ventilator that assists in delivery of oxygen of a dead person causes no irreparable harm — regardless of the parental or religious beliefs of the decedent's family."

The federal court has said it does not plan to act on the request until the case has worked its way through the state courts.

Associated Press writer Channing Joseph contributed to this report.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 8:41am

So the child's death would be preferable to an "unlawful transfer"? Ermm

She's already dead.

Date Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 8:48am
some ppl need to just come to grips with reality & stop all this bullsh*t hope & prayer.

Date Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 8:54am
If I was her mother I would need to pay the person who made this decision a personal visit and place them paws on him.

So what if they feel she is dead, do they then get the right to decide what is best for her as opposed to her own family? Has she now become their personal property?

Posted By: browneyez4548
Date Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 4:32pm
Yeah, the child is technically deceased,but why are they putting the family through this? One minute you can transfer her if this...then they turn around and say "nawww, j/k"?? They are really trying to push them into a corner to where they'll have no other choice but to pull. I hope they go on to file a lawsuit against them

Date Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 1:05pm

Brain dead girl Jahi McMath released to coroner, mother: hospital

Courtesy Of Mcmath Family / Omari Sealey - AP

Jahi McMath, seen in this undated photo provided by the McMath family and Omari Sealey.

By Henry Austin, NBC News contributor

The body of Jahi McMath, the 13-year-old California girl declared brain dead after suffering complications from routine tonsil surgery, has been released to her mother by coroners, the hospital that had been treating her said in a statement Sunday.

The Eighth-grader was released to the coroner who then released her into the custody of her mother Latasha Winkfield as per court order, Dr. David Durand, Chief of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital & Research Center Oakland said in a statement. He added that her destination is unknown. 

“Our hearts go out to the family as they grieve for this sad situation and we wish them closure and peace,” he said.

McMath left the hospital in a private ambulance shortly before 8 p.m. on Sunday, Christopher Dolan, her family's attorney, told the Associated Press, although he did not disclose her destination.

She was taken by a critical care team while attached to a ventilator but without a feeding tube, Dolan added.

"It was a very tense situation," Dolan told the AP. "Everybody played by the rules."

McMath underwent a tonsillectomy and other operations to alleviate her sleep apnea on Dec. 9. She began bleeding profusely and went into cardiac arrest shortly after.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/30/22114290-brain-dead-teen-to-remain-on-life-support-pending-appeal-by-family?lite" rel="nofollow -

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Date Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 1:14pm
^^^ they (the lawyer) said there had been a lot of hate calls and death threats so thats why they're not disclosing where she has been transferred to.  This is so sad all the way I just can't.  to be released from the hospital to the coroners office to go to a long term care facility is too much for me

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^THIS..esp the anesthetist(sp?)  cause they r truly the ones who monitor the patients while they r under..they also get more schooling than a dr. 

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 1:17pm
I think it's pretty sick what her parents are putting this young girls corpse though.

Date Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 1:22pm
they, we no one can find out what happened until the mother comes to terms with her death.  nothing can move forward with finding out what happened until they accept the fact that that she has died.  The autopsy will TELL IT ALL! 

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

I think it's pretty sick what her parents are putting this young girls corpse though.

It's their loss, I can't judge their actions. The body has no objections. 
This is such a sad situation.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 2:35pm
CryBroken Heart

Date Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 5:44pm
this is so sad. The mother here is fortunate to have media coverage though. I'm sure that helped her find a facility to take the girl.

Does anyone remember the young African lady who was taken off the vent  after the required 10 days? She was uninsured. She was taken off against her family's wishes and some said even her own wishes. She died w/in minutes. Her fam said she wanted to stay on the ventilator a few more days until her mom to arrive from Africa to see her one last time.  Her family tried to find a nursing home willing to take her, but couldn't.

eta: I think that was in Texas and the lady had cancer.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 3:14am

Brain-dead girl Jahi McMath released from California hospital

By Ed Payne. Catherine E. Shoichet and Jason Hanna, CNN
updated 2:03 AM EST, Tue January 7, 2014
Watch this video

Brain dead girl's body moved

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Jahi McMath is on a ventilator and has been declared brain-dead by doctors
  • Her family has moved her to a new facility, but won't say where
  • Attorney: "We're very relieved that she got safely to where she needed to be"
  • McMath is now receiving antibiotics and nutritional support, he says

(CNN) -- Jahi McMath is no longer inside the hospital where doctors declared her brain-dead after tonsil surgery last month.

But family members won't reveal where they took the 13-year-old after Children's Hospital & Research Center Oakland released her Sunday night.

"We're very relieved that she got safely to where she needed to be, because we were all very afraid, given the fragile condition as she wasted away at Children's, that she might not make it," attorney Chris Dolan told reporters Monday.

The move ends one chapter of a weeks-long struggle between the hospital, which sought to remove Jahi from a ventilator after doctors and a judge concluded she was brain-dead, and her relatives, who fought in court to keep her on the ventilator and contended she showed signs of life.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/06/health/brain-dead-basics/index.html" rel="nofollow - Why brain dead means really dead

Brain dead girl's body moved, but how?
Uncle: I pray to see Jahi's smile again
Dr Sanjay Gupta on Jahi McMath

"As a family, we are definitely relieved that she's no longer at Children's Hospital, but we're all emotionally drained," Omari Sealey, the girl's uncle, told CNN's Piers Morgan Live on Monday night. "This has been an incredible roller-coaster ride of emotions."

He said so long as his niece's heart is beating, Jahi is alive.

"She's moving a lot more. She responds to audio and touch, and more compelling evidence is the fact that she can move her head and neck," Sealey said.

The hospital released Jahi on Sunday to the Alameda County coroner, who then released her to her mother's custody, said Dr. David Durand, the hospital's chief of pediatrics. The hospital had previously said it needed the coroner's consent for the transfer because Jahi was legally dead.

Jahi -- who was declared brain-dead December 12 after post-surgery complications that her family says included severe bleeding and cardiac arrest -- was moved from the hospital Sunday accompanied by a critical-care team. She was attached to a ventilator, but with no feeding tube in place.

On Monday, Dolan said Jahi was being given antibiotics to fight infections and nutritional support.

"They're giving her everything that a person who would have a chance to live would be getting," he said.

He declined to provide details about the type of facility, citing privacy and security concerns.

"She's where she's going to be for a while," he said. "She needs to be medically stabilized, medically treated."

On Sunday, http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/05/health/jahi-mcmath-girl-brain-dead/index.html" rel="nofollow - the president of a rehabilitation center in New York told CNN that the facility would gladly accept Jahi. But Dolan said the family has no plans to give more details about her location.

"We've had people make threats from around the country. It's sad that people act that way," Dolan said. "So for Jahi's safety and those around her, we will not be saying where she went or where she is."

At least five different facilities that originally offered to care for Jahi fell through, he said. But ultimately, the family chose from a number of offers.

"There were other facilities that still had their hand extended," he said. "But we took the first one that we knew would pull us in."

Caplan: Brain dead is death

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/02/opinion/veatch-defining-death/index.html" rel="nofollow - Let parents decide if teen is dead

Brain dead girl's body moved, but how?

The surgery

'Brain dead' case raises ethical issues

Jahi's case drew national attention and fueled debate as a fierce court battle unfolded between devastated family members fighting to keep her on a ventilator and doctors arguing she'd already died.

Family members say the eighth-grader was alert and talking after doctors removed her tonsils, adenoids and extra sinus tissue in a surgery at the Oakland hospital on December 9.

Doctors had recommended the surgery to treat pediatric obstructive sleep apnea, a condition which made her stop breathing in her sleep and caused other medical problems.

Before the surgery, Jahi said she was worried that she would never wake up, according to her uncle. She seemed fine after the surgery, but asked for a Popsicle because her throat hurt.

Not long afterward, something went terribly wrong. In an intensive care unit, the girl began bleeding profusely, the family said.

According to family members, Jahi went into cardiac arrest. Days later, she was declared brain-dead.

Hospital officials have said privacy laws prevent them from discussing details of the case.

The court battle and the medical debate

The family and the hospital disagreed over whether to disconnect her from a ventilator, and the issue wound up in Alameda Superior Court.

In court documents and public comments, the hospital maintained that there's no doubt that McMath is brain-dead, describing the condition as irreversible.

"No amount of prayer, no amount of hope, no amount of any type of medical procedure will bring her back," Children's Hospital Oakland spokesman Sam Singer said last month. "The medical situation here in this case is that Jahi McMath died several weeks ago."

A judge on December 23 appointed Dr. Paul Fisher, chief of pediatric neurology at Stanford Children's Hospital, to evaluate Jahi.

Fisher concluded the next day that she met the criteria for brain death. According to a court filing, Fisher found that the girl's pupils were fully dilated and unresponsive to light and that she did not respond to a variety of intense stimuli.

His report also says Jahi showed no sign of breathing on her own when a ventilator was removed: "Patient failed apnea test." The report says her heart was beating only because of the mechanical ventilator.

In addition, an imaging test showed no blood flow to Jahi's brain, while another showed no sign of electrical activity.

Fisher's conclusion: "Overall, unfortunate circumstances in 13-year-old with known, irreversible brain injury and now complete absence of cerebral function and complete absence of brainstem function, child meets all criteria for brain death, by professional societies and state of California."

After seeing Fisher's report, Alameda Superior Court Judge Evelio Grillo concluded on December 24 that Jahi was brain dead. But Grillo twice ruled that the hospital had to hold off on disconnecting Jahi from life support, ultimately giving the family and the facility until January 7 to come to a resolution.

The Alameda County coroner issued a death certificate for Jahi on Friday, listing December 12 as the date of death. The certificate still needed to be accepted by the health department to become official.

Medical ethicists, meanwhile, say the high-profile case fuels a misperception: that "brain death" is somehow http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/28/health/life-support-ethics/index.html" rel="nofollow - not as final as cardiac death, even though, by definition, it is . The case is "giving the impression that dead people can come back to life," Arthur Caplan, director of the Division of Medical Ethics at NYU Langone Medical Center, told CNN last month.

Family members say they've seen reason for hope

Jahi's family members maintain that they're hoping for a miracle.

Her mother told CNN last month that she'd seen improvements, including indications from a hospital monitor that she said suggest her daughter was trying to breathe on her own.

The girl's uncle, Sealey, told reporters last week that a pediatrician has seen Jahi and has sworn she is not dead.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/04/justice/hawaii-girl-dead/index.html" rel="nofollow - Hawaii girl, 3, dies after dental procedure

When asked about the girl's possible movement, Singer, the hospital spokesman, said he would not comment directly on any claims the family makes, citing privacy laws. However, Singer said it is "quite common" for the muscles of brain dead patients to move, stressing it's "not a sign of life."

So far the family has raised more than $50,000 on GoFundMe.com to move her. http://www.gofundme.com/Jahi-Mcmath" rel="nofollow - According to the site , more than 1,300 people have donated money in 10 days.

"We're very grateful, very proud," said Sealey. "We want to thank everyone that supported us, everyone that stood in our corner, everyone that prayed for us, everyone that helped donate to make this possible. Without you guys, none of this would be possible."

He didn't rule out the possibility that the family could eventually file a lawsuit against the hospital. But he dismissed concerns that details about what happened during and after Jahi's surgery could be lost if she remains on a ventilator.

"That's pretty much saying that she's evidence and she's a body, and we don't look at it that way," Sealey said. "We're not worried about accountability. We're worried about survival."

In releasing Jahi, the hospital said: "Our hearts go out to the family as they grieve for this sad situation and we wish them closure and peace."

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 9:10am
random.. but i saw on craigslist they were asking for volunteers to pray for her 

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 9:44am
There is always those who will make money from unfortunate situations. After a while even a brain dead person who is still on life support begins to look dead.
That family needs a real miracle in 2014.

Date Posted: Feb 20 2014 at 1:36pm

Jahi McMath: Complete text of letter from brain-dead girl's mother

From staff reports
Posted:   02/20/2014 08:05:24 AM PST | Updated:   about 6 hours ago

Nailah Winkfield, the mother of Jahi McMath, publicly released a letter Wednesday afternoon thanking supporters and saying the 13-year-old girl declared brain dead on Dec. 12 was doing "much better physically" since she was transported from Children's Hospital Oakland to an undisclosed facility. The complete, unedited text of the letter follows:

A letter from Nailah:

It has been over a month since I have spoken about my life with Jahi to anyone outside a very small circle of family and friends. So many people have asked how we are doing and if Jahi is alive. This has and continues to be an unbelievably difficult time for me as a mother and for us as a family. I have withdrawn for reasons of safety and privacy and to focus on my daughter and my role as her mother. However, I have not been alone. I have been surrounded by the love, support and prayers of so many kind people. Despite what people say about my daughter being dead and how I must be ignorant not to get that, I can tell you that she is much better physically since she has left Children's Hospital and I see changes that give me hope.

As I prayed today, I felt called to express to people that I am truly grateful for the amount of love and support my daughter Jahi McMath and I have received from people all over the world. We feel your prayer and support. Because of your unselfish generosity I was able to do what I was afraid I would never be able to do, move my daughter from Children's Hospital Oakland before they removed her from her ventilator and stopped her heart. This was itself a miracle. Please know that all of the support we received has been used towards helping Jahi. If I had it my way, I would say thank you to each and every person in their native language so they could understand how much I appreciate them for all their support and, most importantly, prayers. It is my belief that faith in God, your prayers, and the incredible kindness of good hearted medical professionals, are the main reasons my daughter is alive today. I know people are concerned and I want to make sure you know that Jahi is nor suffering, she is surrounded by love. I will never let her suffer.

On the long hard days when I'm feeling down I think about all the people who are praying for me and Jahi and I feel so much better. I want you to know that I'm praying for you as well.

Thank you to all of the people who view my daughter as the sweet, innocent, 13 year old girl that she is and not a dead body or a corpse, I deeply appreciate that. Thank you to everyone who hasn't forgot how my daughter got into this situation in the first place. No one should have to go through this.

I would like to thank all of the people who have reached out to me and shared their stories of their family members. Some have been heartbreaking, some have given me hope. All have helped me feel that I am not the only person who has had this struggle. Some of you have shared you fought for your loved ones and they got better, some of you have shared your regret with not fighting more and some shared with me the incredibly difficult decisions you made to let go. I have prayed for you as you have for me. Sadly I can say I know how you feel.

I also want to thank those who felt the need to go public with their opinions about me and my daughter, positive and even negative. It is because of you that my daughter's experience is so relevant and that people all over the world know who Jahi McMath is. What you may not know is that her name, Jahi, means one who is known by many. Hopefully my daughter can change some of the ways brain death is viewed in today's society. Honestly, I think she already has.

Finally, thank you for all the love, support and prayers you give Jahi every day. I am certain that she knows you are praying for her. I feel the support from your prayer all the time. I don't think I or Jahi would be here today without you. May God bless all who have shown love and compassion as well as those who have expressed their contempt. All are deserving of God's grace and love. For those who believe, please, keep praying for Jahi. God can overcome all things and I believe that his will has yet to be fully revealed. I love Jahi and where there is love, there is hope.

Nailah Winkfield, Jahi's mom

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_25185593/jahi-mcmath-complete-text-letter-from-brain-dead?source=pkg

Date Posted: Feb 20 2014 at 2:13pm
This is sad.  She's not address the REAL issues still.  Physically doing better?........  I hope she gets the  peace she's searching for

Date Posted: Jul 24 2014 at 9:11pm
shes home on a ventilator
they wont let her go in peace
and her parents are still receiving donations
uncle threatened the school for her diploma

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jul 24 2014 at 11:21pm
Damn...this is probably the longest funeral ever or a close runner up.  IMO they are just prolonging their pain. 

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Jul 24 2014 at 11:25pm
their child and i won't judge them in anyway for what they feel themselves they think is right...their decision....

Print Page | Close Window