Print Page | Close Window

Garcelle Beauvais: why should my kids choose colou

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=366872
Printed Date: Jul 20 2018 at 9:24pm

Topic: Garcelle Beauvais: why should my kids choose colou
Posted By: zsazsa
Subject: Garcelle Beauvais: why should my kids choose colou
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:24pm
GARCELLE BEAUVAIS: ‘MY KIDS SHOULD BE ABLE TO EMBRACE BOTH OF THEIR HERITAGES’

Garcelle Beauvais is fed up with individuals of multiple races having to choose sides. The actress speaks out about cultural battles during her latest interview with The Voice, using Tiger Woods as an example of what should not happen in society.
“When Tiger Woods shot to fame and everybody was talking about him, when he didn’t refer to himself as black, I remember the black community being outraged by that,” says Beauvais. “But I don’t know why anybody [of mixed heritage] should have to choose. Why should my kids have to dismiss their dad’s heritage because they have a black mom? It just doesn’t make sense to me. Why can’t people just be happy with what they are and not have to choose?”

The idea of being happy is the basis for Garcelle’s children’s book, I AM Mixed. “Since the book has been out, we’ve had people coming up to us saying, ‘I wish this book had been out when I was younger’ or ‘thank you for writing this book’. It’s unbelievable that the book has reached so many people,” explains the actress to media.

Garcelle Beauvais has two sons, Jaid and Jax, with ex-husband Mike Nilon. She also has an older son name Oliver from a previous relationship. I AM Mixed is the first book in Beaivais’ three part children’s series.

Replies:
Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:24pm
*yawn*

Posted By: IslandSuga
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:26pm
No one is checking for you anymore Fancy. You messed with YT and got played, have several \_ \_ \_

Posted By: zsazsa
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:27pm
Copied below

I find it hilarious that several years ago this woman made it a point to say that she didn't date Black men because they were unfaithful. Then she marries a White dude who cheated on her for 5 years with a WHITE woman! Too funny, Now she wants to educate children about being Whiter.

Posted By: IslandSuga
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by zsazsa zsazsa wrote:

Copied below

I find it hilarious that several years ago this woman made it a point to say that she didn't date Black men because they were unfaithful. Then she marries a White dude who cheated on her for 5 years with a WHITE woman! Too funny, Now she wants to educate children about being Whiter.

Exactly! #dummy LOL

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:30pm
Ooh cat gif needed ^^^

Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:30pm

Copied below

geezus

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:33pm
Girl let them kids be white and gon.

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:35pm
Her book is null and void. She's not mixed.
#mixedpeopleproblems

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:36pm
how is this even her struggle thoLOL

Posted By: Im_oh_so_hott
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:37pm

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:41pm
Even Stevie Wonder can see that's bullshyt.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:45pm

Copied below

He was a really unattractive white at that. The horror.

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:47pm

Posted By: SN2BPHD
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:50pm
When their other heritage does not want them, maybe she will stop the delusions.

Folks forget that black folks have been through hell and keep coming back. What is wrong with being black? Any shade of black is still black. Black folks will accept your children for being black, even when you as their parent are suffering from your own self hate.

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 7:54pm
look at them beautiful white babies

Posted By: Jess
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 8:00pm
I like her hair in that picture, but I need a side part...and it needs to a bit more messy.

Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 8:10pm
Children that age don't even understand race.

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

look at them beautiful white babies
LOLLOLLOL

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 9:08pm
well she needs a gimmick to sell her books....and this is it...yanno how some celebrities do some drama when there is a project to be sold....just to get the project noticed..well this is one of them..

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 9:14pm

what drivel

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 9:18pm
Tiger woods isn't black and doesn't claim black huh lmao

Posted By: GG
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 9:21pm
Tragic Mulatto

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 9:29pm

Copied below

Oh word?Confused

Welp, no fukks given lol

Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 9:32pm
Didn't her husband cheat on her from like day one of the marriage?

Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 9:34pm

Garcelle Beauvais Calls Out Cheating Husband Mike Nilon

First Posted: 06/09/10 06:12 AM ET Updated: 05/25/11 05:05 PM ET

Garcelle Beauvais Mike Nilon

Garcelle Beauvais-Nilon called out her agent husband Mike, father to her two-year-old twin boys, as a cheater in an email that has gone viral at his CAA office place - and  http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/bombshell_NnDxteiBQkjlQosAXAPusL#ixzz0kcFuombF" rel="nofollow - landed in  Page Six:

In an e-mail making the rounds at the agency with the subject line "Tiger Woods/Jesse James/Mike Nilon," the former "NYPD Blue" star wrote to Nilon's colleagues, "What do they have in common . . . I found out today that MY husband of almost 9 yrs has been having an affair for 5 yrs with some slut in Chicago. I am devastated!!!! And I have been duped!! Our boys don't deserve this!"

Below is a picture of the family last November. The 'NYPD Blue' beauty and former model, 43, also has a son, 18, from a previous marriage.

In June 2009 she  http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20287447,00.html" rel="nofollow - described  Mike's marriage proposal to her:

"We broke up for three months. I went to a movie premiere and he [was there], hoping he would see me and I was hoping I would see him. At the end of the night we didn't see each other and I thought he left but he was waiting for me. He came up to me and asked, "Will you marry me?" And I was like, Yes!"

Posted By: GG
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 9:36pm
Did she have to pick one who looked like that?

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 9:44pm

wonders if in some subconscious way she was hoping to erase her heritage through her sons

and she's written this drivel because it hasn't worked

Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 10:16pm
Her 3 sons and ex husband

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 10:20pm
oh no Stern Smile ^
*prays for healthy pretty chocolate babies

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 10:21pm
Awww, her oldest son is a cutie.

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 11:49pm
She needs to sit her coon ass down. 

You can be what you'd like, but in the real world, you are how people perceive you.  That is the unfortunate reality.  If they see a dark skinned woman, they aren't going automatically assume she is mixed.  Shoot, my friend happens to be DARKER than I am and her mother is white.  She said she wanted to be identified as white, because that's who she related to.

I laughed.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 11:56pm

Copied below

Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

You can be what you'd like, but in the real world, you are how people perceive you.  That is the unfortunate reality.  If they see a dark skinned woman, they aren't going automatically assume she is mixed.  Shoot, my friend happens to be DARKER than I am and her mother is white.  She said she wanted to be identified as white, because that's who she related to.

I laughed.

That's crazy Stern Smile

Date Posted: Dec 15 2013 at 11:57pm
i remember a few years back when someone made the ir couples thread

they were giving her props for dating and marrying smart since he was a hollywood agent and all that

and then.. fast forward a year and a half later ..

lol

Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 12:10am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

I laughed.

That's crazy Stern Smile

Well, as it turns out, she had some sort of mental or emotional breakdown, and hasn't been right, since.  I just get weird vibes from her.

Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 12:21am

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

I laughed.

That's crazy Stern Smile

Well, as it turns out, she had some sort of mental or emotional breakdown, and hasn't been right, since.  I just get weird vibes from her.

Does she even look mixed as far as having curly hair or anything?

Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 12:22am
She didn't say she wanted to be seen as mixed, she said white. That's just insane. Confused

Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 12:27am
Her hair was curly, but then again, at the time, I thought that was normal because my grandmother and my mother have the same hair type. 

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 12:45am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

i remember a few years back when someone made the ir couples thread

they were giving her props for dating and marrying smart since he was a hollywood agent and all that

and then.. fast forward a year and a half later ..

lol

LOLI remember thinking at least she didn't marry down as most black entertainers do when in IR relationships.  IMO.

Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 2:35am
She can't even act

All I remember was her doing the Jamie Fox show.

And she still sucked ..

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 2:37am
she played Denzel's ex wife in Flight...i thought she felt out of place and budget in a movie like that.

Posted By: purple.chuckz
Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 6:22am
She needs to take a look at the way that the White folks are treating this mixed President and prepare her sons for the future.  Lenny Kravitz said that his mother told him that " You may be Jewish, but society will perceive and will treat you like you are Black." He went through a blue contact lens phase, but Lenny turned out OK. 

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 6:57am
Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

Lmao, she seems like the type to not care what the guy looks like as long as he's whiteStern Smile

Posted By: joileprincess
Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 8:38am
nevermind. 

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 10:06am
She's right they shouldn't have to choose. Matter fact if you are half not black...they really aren't even black Stern Smile. Garcelle is not worried about our opinions. She's beautiful, her kids are beautiful, and she's rich.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 2:27pm
She's not attractive to me.....I don't like her face......those kids....bless their heart and that white man.....is fugly.....she didn't marry down.....

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 4:03pm
Is she even American?? The one drop rule is an American concept that black people everywhere else don't go by because pretty much every where else around the world 50% black does not equal completely black. So it might be cultural as well.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 4:06pm
she's haitian. she was born in haiti. 
i don't know how to say her last name.. but i like it. a lot. 

i think she was really pretty back when she was fancy.

Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Is she even American?? The one drop rule is an American concept that black people everywhere else don't go by because pretty much every where else around the world 50% black does not equal completely black. So it might be cultural as well.

ima need for my people to get hip.

Posted By: HowardAlumAKA
Date Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 9:20pm
Sorry hunty, they black

Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 1:38am
Which culture would look at those kids other than black or "coloured" as we say in Southern Africa?

She cooning hard

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 5:39am
Originally posted by HowardAlumAKA HowardAlumAKA wrote:

Sorry hunty, they black
LOL

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 5:45am

Let's talk about this again...
What percentage of black do I have to be to claim black?
Cause I might won't make it.

Posted By: Xamaycana
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 5:56am

I never understood why AAs are so attached to one-dropping and take offense when others don't adhere to it.

So what if racist whites one drop?  They also see black women as  multiple baby-daddy having welfare queens and  video hoes.  Does that mean it's a reality?

If you have two parents of different races what's the harm in acknowledging both?  I have friend who is 1/2 Polish American and 1/2 Southern AA.  She can wolf down some perogies and the next day she'll whip up some collard greens and fried chicken.  What's wrong with that.

To those pointing out that her ex-husband was a cheating dog, I guess black men, never cheat on black women.  If a man has poor morals he has poor morals.  His color won't change that.  Her marrying "up" at least likely had her walking away with a good settlement rather than having to pay spousal support to the cheater.

Posted By: Xamaycana
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 5:58am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Are your parents of the same race?

Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 6:58am

I think you missed the point where she said she wouldn't date black men cos they cheated ..then she got cheated on by a white guy .. That's why it was brought up lol

Just saying

But other than that.. You alright over here? You sound/read like you're having a moment

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 7:10am
Her children are biracial and nothing can change that.

The sooner she gets into a loving relationship with herself, the better mother she will be to those children.

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 7:49am

Correct ... it is cultural.

The 'one-drop rule' ONLY exists in Amerikkka. I don't know why it is that Black folks in Amerikkka think alll these Féd up racial situations things apply to THE WHOLE DAGGONE WORLD. Ya'll need to learn something about your own history for goodness sakes.

This rule was part of the 1960s Jim Crow laws in the south createdsby WHITE PEOPE that BLACK PEOPLE are so happy to go long with :( which stated that if a person had “one drop” of black blood in them, they were forbidden to pass as White. Consequently, having that one drop also meant they could not receive all the benefits and privileges allowed to Whites. (Under the Jim Crow laws Whites got better seats on public transportation, had better and separate public facilities, bathrooms, water fountains and other accommodations).

Now, how the heck could these Jim Crow laws ... apply to the whole rest of the world? Duh!

Garcelle is from Haiti so maybe she is not aware of this rule? So she needs to leave the country if she wants her kids to not live under this backward standard.

http://blackhistory.com/content/63228/one-drop-rule

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

One-drop rule

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The one-drop rule is a historical colloquial term in the United States for the social classification as Negro of individuals with any African ancestry; meaning any person with "one drop of Negro blood" was considered black. The principle of "invisible blackness" was an example of hypodescent, the automatic assignment of children of a mixed union between different socioeconomic or ethnic groups to the group with the lower status.[1]

Although racial segregation was adopted legally by southern states of the former Confederacy in the late 19th century, legislators resisted defining race by law. In 1895 in South Carolina during discussion, George D. Tillman said,

"...It is a scientific fact that there is not one full-blooded Caucasian on the floor of this convention. Every member has in him a certain mixture of... colored blood...It would be a cruel injustice and the source of endless litigation, of scandal, horror, feud, and bloodshed to undertake to annul or forbid marriage for a remote, perhaps obsolete trace of Negro blood. The doors would be open to scandal, malice, and greed..."[2]

The one-drop rule was not adopted as law until the 20th century: first in Tennessee in 1910 and in Virginia under the Racial Integrity Act of 1924 (following the passage of similar laws in several other states).

Before and during slavery, interracial relationships formed. In the antebellum years, free people of mixed race (free people of color) were considered legally white if individuals had up to one-eighth or one-quarter African ancestry (depending on the state).[3] Many mixed-race people were absorbed into the majority culture based simply on appearance, associations and carrying out community responsibilities. These and community acceptance were the more important factors if a person's racial status were questioned, not his or her documented ancestry. Because of the social mobility of antebellum society in frontier areas, many people did not have documentation about their ancestors.

Here in The Netherlands there are a ton of IR relationships and their children are referred (and they refer to themselves) as 'Mixed' and then they explain about their parentage like Suriname (a Black Dutch colony) and Dutch or Indonesian (another Dutch colony) and Dutch or a mixture of any other of a zillion other ethnic groups. But there is no 'special' rule particularily for the mixture of Black with White. DUH!

Mixed is mixed ... and both partentages demand an EQUAL amount of respect. It's ony fair ... otherwise the child starts to feel bad about himself if he can't give the non-Black parent the same acknowlewdgement and respect that he gives the Black parent.

This is the REAL DAMAGE this one-drop law inflicts on mixed children in Amerikkka - it makes them feel bad about themselves.

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 8:52am
If she actually made the statement that she doesn't date black men because they ALL cheat, then she got exactly what she deserved! Anyone who speaks in absolutes about any type of social dynamic is a moron.

Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Yes, but A LOT of Black men cheat. A LOT.

She probably just got sick of dealing with them and I can't blame her for that. It's just too bad that she happened to a pick a White guy that cheated because White guys cheat too.

But it's just like Black men that get sick of Black women with all these babies and whatnot. Now ALL Black women are not walking around with babies out of wedlock .. but A LOT of them are. A LOT.

(as a Black woman that never got knocked up, I am sick of this too. Irresponsible!)

The last published stats do state that 72% of AA mothers are raising their children without a husband and that's a daggone shame.

But nooooo Black folks would like to pretend that the 'cheatin' and unwed motherhood situation in the AA community ... is no different that what goes on the White community. Right. :/

Delusional.

the only relevant statement from this post

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 9:06am

She probably just got sick of dealing with them and I can't blame her for that. It's just too bad that she happened to a pick a White guy that cheated because White guys cheat too.

But it's just like Black men that get sick of Black women with all these babies and whatnot. Now ALL Black women are not walking around with babies out of wedlock .. but A LOT of them are. A LOT.

(as a Black woman that never got knocked up, I am sick of this too. Irresponsible!)

The last published stats do state that 72% of AA mothers are raising their children without a husband and that's a daggone shame.

But nooooo Black folks would like to pretend that the 'cheatin' and unwed motherhood situation in the AA community ... is no different that what goes on the White community. Right. :/

Delusional.

Posted By: Ds2nice
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 9:19am
So she's thirsty for some publicity, huh?

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 9:29am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Girl let them kids be white and gon.

LOLLOLCry

she sounds like a fool...but i'm willing to let her be...Sleepy

Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 9:31am
Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

Her 3 sons and ex husband

omg!!!! her oldest is such a cutie!!!!!!!  them others...no comment...Sleepy

Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 9:33am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

She can't even act

All I remember was her doing the Jamie Fox show.

And she still sucked ..

i hollared!!!!!!

Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 9:36am

Delusional.
go choke on a big black cock in your sleep

Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 9:37am

i don't give a f*ck what these reverse one drop rulers have to say.  i'm black dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 9:39am

lank...

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 9:41am
without a husband..? 

or they're actually single mothers? 

some ppl just don't wanna get married.. 

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 9:43am
Lol aunty Ruckus you are soo lame

And your shtick is getting old.

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 9:46am
dp

Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

Lol aunty Ruckus you are soo lame

__/\_/\__/\____/\________/\___________/\_____________________________

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 9:47am

[QUOTE=femmemichelle]Is she even American?? The one drop rule is an American concept that black people everywhere else don't go by because pretty much every where else around the world 50% black does not equal completely black. So it might be cultural as well.

isnt she Haitian?
Then she and her ...culture knows she's black.
Everybody know she;s black, and the world will make sure her kids know they and their mammy black too.

Posted By: patternsandtexture
Date Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 11:12am

I didn't know she was Hatian, well she is a poor representation of the spirit of Haiti.

Print Page | Close Window