Print Page | Close Window

Black Teen Pregnancy Rate Reaches Historic Low

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=366745
Printed Date: Sep 23 2018 at 9:11am

Topic: Black Teen Pregnancy Rate Reaches Historic Low
Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Subject: Black Teen Pregnancy Rate Reaches Historic Low
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:32pm
The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy reports that between 1990 and 2009 pregnancy rates have fallen by 51 percent for Black teens in the U.S.

"The decline has been fueled by three factors: more teens are waiting to have sex; they also report fewer sexual partners and better use of contraception," said Sarah Brown, campaign CEO.

Since its peak in 1990, teen pregnancy has declined 52 percent among 15-17 year-olds and by 36 percent for 18-19 year-olds among all races.

Most adults are not aware of the progress teens are making.

"The credit for this remarkable national success story goes to teens themselves," said Brown. "Unfortunately, precious few adults are aware of the good news. In fact, nearly half of Americans incorrectly believe the teen pregnancy rate in the U.S has increased over the past two decades."

(they don't actually say what the rate is though)

http://www.essence.com/2013/12/09/black-teen-pregnancy-rates-reaches-historic-low" rel="nofollow - http://www.essence.com/2013/12/09/black-teen-pregnancy-rates-reaches-historic-low

Replies:
Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:35pm

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:35pm
Nobody wants to hear this though.
Folks want to believe that every generation gets worse.

Posted By: oh_so_moody
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:37pm
Is Plan B considered contraception under this study?

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:37pm
Great.

Now if we can only get the 20+ year old women to stop having babies they aren't prepared for financially and emotionally that will be a real victory.

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:38pm
Does this study also account for abortions? Not that I don't believe it, I just don't think everything has been factored in.

eta:It's good to hear though. That means there'll be a better outlook for a lot of these girls' future

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:11pm
Bunz ain't sh*t!LOL

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:12pm
young girls wising up!

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Bunz ain't sh*t!LOL 
this
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

young girls wising up!
..and this, i hope. Clap

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:21pm
considering the fact that hiv rates among black women (including those in the teen age group) is on the decline as well, i can't help but to believe that black women are engaging in less risky sexual relationships overall. i love it! 

Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:25pm
great news. hopefully it keeps trending down.

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:26pm
This is Great News, hopefully College Attendance will go up as well...

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:27pm
CDC says...

The average age at first birth increased for all racial and ethnic groups between 1990 and 2006 with increases ranging from 0.6 years for American Indian or Alaska Native (AIAN) women to 1.7 years for Asian or Pacific Islander (API) women.

In 2006, API women had the oldest average age at first birth (28.5 years), whereas AIAN women had the youngest (21.9 years); a difference of 6.6 years. The average age at first birth for non-Hispanic white women (26.0 years) was older than the average for the U.S. population (25.0 years) while those for non-Hispanic black (22.7 years) and Hispanic women (23.1 years) were younger ( http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db21.htm#fig4" rel="nofollow - Figure 4 )

So basically, all women are having their babies later...black women are still having their babies earlier (at age 22.7) than the average US woman (at age 25).

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:32pm
According to the National Poverty Center (in 2010), black children make up the largest group of children under age 18 that are living in poverty.

Of all children under 18 living in poverty, 12.4% are white (non-hispanic), 38.2% are black, 35% are hispanic, and 13.6% are asian.

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

According to the National Poverty Center (in 2010), black children make up the largest group of children under age 18 that are living in poverty.

Of all children under 18 living in poverty, 12.4% are white (non-hispanic), 38.2% are black, 35% are hispanic, and 13.6% are asian.
Why are you doing this?

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:34pm
that should be made into a totally separate thread, dear. 

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

According to the National Poverty Center (in 2010), black children make up the
largest group of children under age 18 that are living in poverty.

Of
all children under 18 living in poverty, 12.4% are white
(non-hispanic), 38.2% are black, 35% are hispanic, and 13.6% are asian.

Why are you doing this?

I asked myself this...

Like for why????

Posted By: nemesis1
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:46pm
Good news.

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:50pm
Just pointing out that while we may have won one battle, we certainly haven't won the war. We've got our work cut out for us.

Sorry if you don't feel it's relevant or helpful information.

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:54pm
You must be really fun at partiesLOL.

There's an appropriate time and place for everything. This is a happy thread. Let us black women be happy for a quick second. Trust, Im sure everyone here are aware of the problems our community faces.

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 11:08pm
From the study...

Teen pregnancy rates continued to fall and reached record lows in 2009 for the three major race and Hispanic origin groups.

• From 1990 to 2009, rates fell 51% for non-Hispanic white and non-Hispanic black teenagers and 40% for Hispanic teenagers ( http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db136.htm#fig4" rel="nofollow - Figure 4 ).
  • Non-Hispanic black and Hispanic teen pregnancy rates were at least twice those of non-Hispanic white teenagers during the entire period.
  • The non-Hispanic black teen pregnancy rate was 39% higher than the Hispanic teen rate in 1990 (232.7 compared with 167.4). The difference disappeared by the mid-2000s, and then reappeared in 2006.

Figure 4. Pregnancy rates for teenagers aged 15–19, by race and Hispanic origin: United States, 1990–2009

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db136_fig4.png" rel="nofollow">Figure 4 is a line graph showing pregnancy rates for teenagers aged 15 through 19 by race and Hispanic origin for the United States from 1990 through 2009.

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 11:19pm
so you gone just keep pushing the issue, huh? LOL

could it be that you are one of those people who can't appreciate small victories because acknowledging any steps in the right direction closes the gap between the degenerates and the elitists; making you quesion your snowflake status, making you that much more inconspicuous? 

yeah, i see you, boo.

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

so you gone just keep pushing the issue, huh? LOL

could it be that you are one of those people who can't appreciate small victories because acknowledging any steps in the right direction closes the gap between the degenerates and the elitists; making you quesion your snowflake status, making you that much more inconspicuous? 

yeah, i see you, boo.

So I'm wrong for posting extra information and I'm wrong for posting information directly from the study that the OP is about?

I don't think anyone is a degenerate, but if they are then so am I. I'm no different and I'm certainly not separate.

I could throw in some MLK, Malcolm X, or Mandela quotes about celebrating every victory and then continuing to fight the good fight but I guess that would make me an elitist or special snowflake right?

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 11:40pm
You ain't wrong for it but it just reeks of ...something idk.
Can't put my finger on it.
At first you didn't even care to acknowledge the study but wanted to emphasize how worse off we are .

Maybe you just get off on being a contrarian though

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 11:40pm
being that you jumped at the opportunity to change the course of this discussion by pointing out all the negatives; never even acknowledging the good in this study, i don't know what it makes you other than disingenuous. at best. 

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 11:42pm
and what jones saidLOL

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 11:47pm
allyuh ain't finna fight are yuh?   it's nearly chrimuh time.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 11:48pm

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 11:51pm
We not as good as the white folks. :((((((

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 11:55pm
I can never do right for y'all. Funny that other folks have done the same exact thing and it's never an issue. First thing I said in this thread was "great". I guess that wasn't positive enough.

It's cool though...I stay trying to add to discussions, be respectful, don't call people names, and all I get is negative.

Whatever.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 12:39am

delightful

it's a good start

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 12:40am

now if we can continue this pattern that would be even better

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 12:59am
All time low better than all time hi ..

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 1:01am
This thread is hilarious

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 2:11am
This study is definitely wrong...

Posted By: iluvmihair
Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 3:34am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 4:48am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Lmao.

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 5:30am
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

Why are you doing this?
Smh...

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 6:01am

According to the National Poverty Center (in 2010), black children make up the
largest group of children under age 18 that are living in poverty.

Of
all children under 18 living in poverty, 12.4% are white
(non-hispanic), 38.2% are black, 35% are hispanic, and 13.6% are asian.
what's the relationship between poverty and childbirth and what are the determinants if a booming population living in poverty?

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 6:01am

Lmao.
you know!

Posted By: juicifruit89
Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 6:35am

Why is it definitely wrong? Do you have your own set of statistics?

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 7:32am
But of course ^

From the school of research called "in my opinion" under the programme of "from what I've observed"

Posted By: GG
Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 7:59am
We can't have nice things because some people refuse to let us!

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 10:30am

Just pointing out that while we may have won one battle, we certainly haven't won the war. We've got our work cut out for us.

Sorry if you don't feel it's relevant or helpful information.

I dont think its relevant in this particular threadOuch. separate thread though

I can never do right for y'all. Funny that other folks have done the same exact thing and it's never an issue. First thing I said in this thread was "great". I guess that wasn't positive enough.

It's cool though...I stay trying to add to discussions, be respectful, don't call people names, and all I get is negative.

Whatever.

You do a bit much most times May. Sometimes its unnecessary. Yes, we have a long way to go in dealing with our issues, but when something positive is highlighted, I dont think its constructive to highlight something negative
, just out of the blue. Its odd

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 10:37am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

You ain't wrong for it but it just reeks of ...something idk.
Can't put my finger on it.
At first you didn't even care to acknowledge the study but wanted to emphasize how worse off we are .

Maybe you just get off on being a contrarian though

Lamp...reminds of me a roommate i used to have, who would for example, tell me, "Youre lucky it didnt rain" when i came in from the salon. She wouldnt be caught dead saying anything positive/complimentary, instead she would find the most negative, annoying, nitpicking thing to say, and totally ignore everything else.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 10:54am
wow, this is good news.  i'm actually surprised that any teen, of any race, is engaging in sex less frequently and with less partners because everyone seems so oversexed.  maybe they're spending more time on the internet and school and less time out doing bad stuff...aren't more blacks going to college as well?  we as a people must feel more confident in our futures than previously, and we should because we're making moves.  

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 10:59am
I think kids are starting to connect the fact that having kids at a younger age considerably increases your chances of being poor for the rest of your life!

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 11:29am

That's all her stats say, over and over. Whites are better.

The OP refers to improvements we have made as compared to where WE were. Eff whites, not everything needs to be compared to them. So the actual comparison would be if we did not improve on the other stats posted over time as well. Comparing us to whites who up until 50 years ago had the legal authority to subjugate us to lower class status is inappropriate. We can't gain all that ground in a day.

Posted By: Fcgriffin
Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 11:31am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

This is exactly what popped into my head!

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 11:33am
Originally posted by oh_so_moody oh_so_moody wrote:

Is Plan B considered contraception under this study?

I swear....and if you have a medical card its free.....Cry

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 12:16pm
y'all made me proud today

Date Posted: Dec 12 2013 at 10:10am
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

That's all her stats say, over and over. Whites are better.

The OP refers to improvements we have made as compared to where WE were. Eff whites, not everything needs to be compared to them. So the actual comparison would be if we did not improve on the other stats posted over time as well. Comparing us to whites who up until 50 years ago had the legal authority to subjugate us to lower class status is inappropriate. We can't gain all that ground in a day.

precisely.

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Dec 12 2013 at 11:05am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

y'all made me proud today

Andre so sexy

Print Page | Close Window