Print Page | Close Window

Fired for ethnic hair and clothing

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=366731
Printed Date: Dec 17 2018 at 12:07am

Topic: Fired for ethnic hair and clothing
Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Subject: Fired for ethnic hair and clothing
Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 12:27pm

Senior BP executive told her braided hair and African dress made other staff feel 'uncomfortable' and to 'save it for Black History Month'

• Melphine Evans, a black female executive at BP, says she was told to 'alert her colleagues in advance' before showing up to work wearing 'ethnic' clothing

A black female executive at British oil giant BP is suing the company, alleging she was told that the clothing she wore was inappropriate, and should only be worn 'during ‘culture day,’ black history month or special diversity events.'

Melphine Evans was vice president and CFO at two BP subsidiaries before she was fired.

According to the suit, filed with the Orange County Superior Court this week, Evans says that her supervisors told her that her dashiki and braided hair made other employees 'uncomfortable.'

Lawsuit: Melphine Evans is suing British oil giant BP, alleging she was told that the clothing she wore was inappropriate, and should only be worn during ¿culture day,¿ black history month or special diversity events

Lawsuit: Melphine Evans is suing British oil giant BP, alleging she was told that the clothing she wore was inappropriate, and should only be worn during ¿culture day,¿ black history month or special diversity events

Dress down: According to the suit, filed with the Orange County Superior Court this week, Evans says that her supervisors told her that her dashiki and braided hair made other employees uncomfortable
Dress down: According to the suit, filed with the Orange County Superior Court this week, Evans says that her supervisors told her that her dashiki and braided hair made other employees uncomfortable

Dress down: According to the suit, filed with the Orange County Superior Court this week, Evans says that her supervisors told her that her dashiki and braided hair made other employees 'uncomfortable'

Melphine Evans is suing BP Products North America, her former BP West Coast Products office in La Palma and nine individuals.

Evans was told, 'You intimidate and make your colleagues uncomfortable by wearing ethnic clothing and ethnic hairstyles,' according to the suit, as reported by  http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/12/05/63457.htm%20" rel="nofollow - Courthouse News.

'If you insist on wearing ethnic clothing/hairstyles, you should only do so during 'culture day,' black history month or special diversity events/days. ... 'If you are going to wear ethnic clothing, you should alert people in advance that you will be wearing something ethnic.''

Evans’ supervisors and defendants in the case, Rita Griffin and Nick Elmslie, allegedly told her that they were terminating her employment because she 'did not get along well with her teammates and colleagues.'

No diversity here: Discomfort making? Ms. Evans was told If you are going to wear ethnic clothing, you should alert people in advance that you will be wearing something ethnic

No diversity here: Discomfort making? Ms. Evans was told 'If you are going to wear ethnic clothing, you should alert people in advance that you will be wearing something ethnic'

But Evans’ official 360 evaluative performance feedback reviews, completed by colleagues that were selected by Griffin and Elmslie, indicate that Evans was considered 'a people person' who 'engages her entire organization and is sincere in her desire to ensure all are valued and heard.'

Evans joined BP in 2001, worked in several leadership positions and was sent to the La Palma facility's finance office in 2008.

Evans states in her lawsuit that her employer made up 'bullying and overly aggressive behavior' complaints used to fire her to cover up 'racist and sexist comments and actions and ... hostile and discriminatory treatment that was inconsistent with her similarly situated white counterparts at BP.'

The suit quotes a performance feedback review that allegedly stated, 'Melphine is a people person. She engages her entire organization and is sincere in her desire to ensure all are valued and heard.'

'Generally, BP does not publicly discuss personnel issues, BP spokesman Scott Dean said in a statement, 'However, BP treats all employees fairly. BP disagrees with the claims and will vigorously defend the suit.'

Replies:
    Posted By: kfoxx1998
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 12:30pm
    BP is a culture of stupidity to bring more negative attention to themselves after working so hard to prove they are a caring, responsible company.  If true, may she reap the benefits of the oil industry in a new and shockingly lucrative way. 

Posted By: GG
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 12:31pm
    Smh @ them being "uncomfortable"
    They just didn't like her being in charge and found any stupid reason to try and make her concede to their whims.

Posted By: Naturalchick30
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 12:33pm
    Fucc they're feelings...

Posted By: BrownQtee
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 12:37pm

Of course those yt folks were uncomfortable. Being around a powerful black woman that had the gall to wear traditional african clothing? I could only imagine the feelings that got caught. I hope she makes out like a bandit.

Posted By: SN2BPHD
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 12:46pm
    You know she is going to sue.

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 12:50pm
    I found this response from a poster on BV regarding the topic. I thought it was profound:

"One of the hardest lessons I had to learn was that a person I was in a relationship with actually HATED me and want me to have NOTHING and I mean absolutely,not even the boxers I wore. It is the same principal with a segment of our society when it comes to race, a segment HATE us so much they don't want us to have our self-esteem, pride, joy or Blackness. Instead of us a Black race believing for some unknown reasons White people love, accept or many times 
    even like us is based on our psychological issues. How many times must we read and experience these traumas for us to understand that the only thing that stands between us now and pre July 2, 1964 is the Civil Rights Bill.Make no mistake many would vote to repeal that law if they could get away with it."

Posted By: uppitynegroid
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 1:04pm
    I'm surprised this stuff still happens. I thought by now everyone has got the memo on sexual harassment, workplace discrimination and the plethora of other actions that consistently get people sued in 2013.

Posted By: liesnalibis
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 1:30pm
    And y'all think these weaves and perms aren't a step backwards...

Posted By: Mz. Mocha
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 1:35pm
    When in Rome *Shrugs*

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 1:44pm
    White people really hate us for who we are... Smh
    I can't work with y'all unless I get a perm?

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 1:52pm
    Pretty much...or a weave

Originally posted by GG GG wrote:

White people really hate us or who we are... Smh

Posted By: rickysrose
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 2:55pm
    BP sure is bold

Hopefully they pay dearly for this

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 3:17pm
    Smh at the racist comments saying that things like this make people not want to hire minorities, that she looks like an African warrior and that she needed to be fired because the dress code needs to be enforced.

Posted By: Ds2nice
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 4:22pm

I ain't mad.  She's about to collect a nice paycheck.   If I ever work for another big company, I'm going to do the same thing and hope they have the courage to run that game on me. 

Posted By: SN2BPHD
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 4:27pm
    This is the corporate world many don't see. When you walk into work with natural hair, they look at you as though you have a horn. If you look at black reporters/ newscasters, they have the same hairstyle (just like their white counterparts). This is the norm. You will be less likely to be hired if you show any sign of culture other what white.

Black folks have been changing who were are for years. White folks are afraid and intimidated when we show who we really are. We may luck up and find some who are not thrown off by what us being us, however that is not the norm. It is as though in order to be seen as intelligent and able to do a job, we have to change to get ahead.

Don't tell me that we don't have a "white voice" when they are around.  

We should not have to change anything, however in this day and age, if you want to work and live amongst other cultures, you are guided to assimilate. When you don't, you are treated like this.

Posted By: uppitynegroid
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 4:29pm

White people really hate us or who we are... Smh

The problem is they can't stand it when we have pride in our culture and heritage, they feel like that is a luxury reserved for them.

Posted By: TokyoRose
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 5:07pm
    I recently had a discussion with a bunch of clueless white males.  They won't get it, but I closed my argument by stating, if they like to travel, there is NEVER a time when they will EVER think or have their friends and loved ones ask them, "Do they like white people over there?"  The thought never occurs to them.  When they pick up and move, among the first things they think about is NEVER, "where will I get my hair done?  Will they have [insert ethnic group here] food there?"  In corporate America, they will NEVER have to physically alter themselves to make their peers more comfortable with them.  WE DO.

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 6:10pm
    I sat here and tried to think about white culture...then I laughed. There is no such thing. There whole existence is a compilation of others'.

Yt's are upset because they have no culture and no identity. They would kill to walk around in ethnocentric garb without looking like a damn fool. They're upset because we have something they never had and never will have.

She'll walk away with a nice payout.

Posted By: cvzx
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 6:47pm
    So BP is just handing out settlement money...are they still hiring

Posted By: TokyoRose
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 7:13pm
    Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

I sat here and tried to think about white culture...then I laughed. There is no such thing. There whole existence is a compilation of others'.

Yt's are upset because they have no culture and no identity. They would kill to walk around in ethnocentric garb without looking like a damn fool. They're upset because we have something they never had and never will have.

I see it a lot.  White women just love to go all ethnic over here in Japan, wearing kimonos and dressing up as geisha and such.  I think it looks weird and hilarious at the same time.  Their privilege, though can't seem to see it as anything else but "flattering" their hosts.

Posted By: BBpants
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 7:22pm
    This sucks cuz I know when I find a new job, I'm going to have to straighten my hair for the interview Pinch

Posted By: jonesable
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 7:34pm
    I wear my natural hair and in natural looking protective styles just wishing and hoping and thinking and praying...

Posted By: PurplePhase
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 7:45pm
    I'm glad she's taking them to court. Hope she bankrupts them.

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:19pm
    Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

This sucks cuz I know when I find a new job, I'm going to have to straighten my hair for the interview Pinch

Is that so...? 

Posted By: hauteshellbi
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:23pm
    Soooo I thought executives wore suits

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:28pm
    #TeamNatural We're here to Stay!!!

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:30pm
    Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Is that so...? 

?...So that is

Posted By: oh_so_moody
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:32pm
    Originally posted by Mz. Mocha Mz. Mocha wrote:

When in Rome *Shrugs*

NO!

Posted By: Sang Froid
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:34pm

Um....no.

Posted By: oh_so_moody
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:35pm
    *wears waist length box braids in corporate 'merica.....*

I left the first company that even made                 comment of my braids but now....

I wish a ninja wud!

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:37pm
    Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Um....no.

Um um um um um..yea

Posted By: nekamarie83
    Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:58pm

Um um um um um..yea
    have to? not really. choose to? seems likely. *shrug* your mop. 

i disagree, but i know people will do what they wanna and that bhm had this discussion. 

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:07pm
    Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

Um um um um um..yea
    have to? not really. choose to? seems likely. *shrug* your mop. 

i disagree, but i know people will do what they wanna and that bhm had this discussion. 

Why it gotta be a mop tho?  LOL

No, no one is taking a gun to my head and making me straighten my hair.

But I know that I am more likely to get hired with my straightened hair than my natural hair. Do I like it? Hell no. That's why as soon I get the job, I'm rocking my regula sh*t and I dare them to say somethin.

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:11pm

Why it gotta be a mop tho?  LOL

No, no one is taking a gun to my head and making me straighten my hair.

But I know that I am more likely to get hired with my straightened hair than my natural hair. Do I like it? Hell no. That's why as soon I get the job, I'm rocking my regula sh*t and I dare them to say somethin.
    that's my general word. it was either that or "wig". like "imma split ya wig", but that's confusing here.  LOL

and exactly. some are of the opinion that it gives them a better chance and they're welcome to it. 

you're doing what you feel will get you in the door and, given the atmosphere, i can't fault you for that. you're not forgetting who you are or ashamed or anything, and i don't pay your bills.  do ya thang and i hope you find a good gig. Smile

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:26pm
    Thank you Big smile

Date Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 10:32pm
    you're welcome

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 1:15am
    Yes, If you want a job in corporate America. I don't make the rules its just the way it is. 

Originally posted by oh_so_moody oh_so_moody wrote:

When in Rome *Shrugs*

NO!

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 1:20am
    You don't need to straighten your hair to put it in a damn bun.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 1:30am
    A lot of educated women have TWAs and work in corporate America.

Posted By: carolina cutie
    Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 1:36am
    Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

I wear my natural hair and in natural looking protective styles just wishing and hoping and thinking and praying...
    Lmao! I do wait for the day someone comes for these kinks at work. Bring it on!

The receptionist at work wears a turban and another medical assistant wears her hair kinky curly every day. No one has said a word.Star

ETA: This kind

http://thehairdame.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/0926-kourtney-kardashian-turban-hair-accessory_bd.jpg" rel="nofollow">0926-kourtney-kardashian-turban-hair-accessory_bd

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 1:38am
    TWA's?

Posted By: newdiva1
    Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 2:16am
    TWA = teeny weeny afro.

I see alot of that with older (45 and over) women of colour that are in upper management or VP's.

Posted By: Printer_Ink
    Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 6:10am
    Geesh, I wonder if anyone here has ever actually worked in Corporate America where ATTIRE IS KEY.

You don’t have to perm your hair either. I have not permed my hair since … 1969 .,. so yes, I wore my hair in a afro for 25 years or so.

A good friend also at IBM wore her hair in deadlocks. We never had a problem … but yes, we looked neat, polished off and professional in natural hair and professional suits – just like everyone else.

If a White person had stepped up in a Mohawk punk spikey style..... he would have been pulled aside too!

You’ve gotta dress the part. Who does not know this?

Now every month – we had a dress down day and everyone just went nuts . .. okay that was the day to show you personality.

I think sometimes people WEAR their issue though and that turns folks off. I worked with a gay guy – no problem, wore corp attire .. and then one day (for no particular reason) he stepped up with half his hair dyed pink. Well, no one said anything but … Then he started wearing this Lavender suit with the dark red shoes and white socks. Someone made a joke and his reaction was ‘I AM GAY .. GET USED TO IT’. The problem was not that he was gay .. it was that he wore inappropriate clothes to work,. He got fired and claimed it was discrimination – but we all just shook our heads. He started that mess. Stupid.

One co-worker attended the team meeting one day and suddenly got up there with an announcement. He was going to transition to a woman. Now this was 25 years ago and everyone just stared in shock. Okay, so bit by bit he started changing, He wore women’s eyeglasses first, and then he started with the long fake nails, and the skirts. Now he was a BIG UGLY DUDE (6’3) overweight and with a full beard so yes, he just started looking so badddd. He was in his 40’s so he already had a bold spot on his head but he grew out his scraggly hair anyway … and his 5 o’clock shadow grew in at 2:00. ,. I felt sorry for him though because he felt tortured because he felt he WAS a woman on the inside . People complained, customers complained - He got the ax too.

I have more stories like this … but basically that Black Lady at BP knew what she was doing when she stepped out in her Pan-African outfit.

Maybe she was one of those IN YOUR FACE .. I am Black person … so then yes, people are gonna be offended etc.

That was not corporate attire .. so just decided to express herself anyway .. so now she can sue for discrimination and make a some money.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 6:21am
    Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Lmao! I do wait for the day someone comes for these kinks at work. Bring it on!

The receptionist at work wears a turban and another medical assistant wears her hair kinky curly every day. No one has said a word.Star

http://thehairdame.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/0926-kourtney-kardashian-turban-hair-accessory_bd.jpg" rel="nofollow">0926-kourtney-kardashian-turban-hair-accessory_bd

I want a turban like this

Posted By: patternsandtexture
    Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 6:32am
    Printer Ink is usually on and off on her posts, but this isn't one when it's on point.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 6:40am
    Doing the most as usual..

Posted By: juicifruit89
    Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 6:48am
    I wouldn't describe wearing ethnic clothing as showcasing one's 'issue'...someone with that mindset is projecting their own feelings/biases about their 'Pan-African' roots.  'In your face' Black people make others uncomfortable? I guess we should be relegated to being marginalized to male others comfortable.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 8:06am

<p ="attachment"> http://thehairdame.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/0926-kourtney-kardashian-turban-hair-accessory_bd.jpg" rel="nofollow">0926-kourtney-kardashian-turban-hair-accessory_bd

Ok. Am I the only one that thinks turbans look stupid (totally mature word ) with hair out? Doesn't that somehow defeat the purpose of a turban?

Posted By: patternsandtexture
    Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 8:13am
    Until Europeans quit thinking they are the standard, we will always offend humanity's 7%.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 8:13am
    Yea it looks stupid on her.
    That lady in that other thread...hers was flyy.

Posted By: Ms_Kudos
    Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 8:17am
    Um, Printer_Ink - No.  pandt- I have to disagree.
    Let's read, "Melphine Evans was vice president and CFO at two BP subsidiaries before she was fired."
    This woman wasn't entry level, she was in a leadership position.  And this wasn't her first one, she knew what to wear, and more than that- how to do her job.  

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 8:47am
    Ok. Cause I'm sitting here like… the hell?

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 8:50am
    Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Geesh, I wonder if anyone here has ever actually worked in Corporate America where ATTIRE IS KEY.

You don’t have to perm your hair either. I have not permed my hair since … 1969 .,. so yes, I wore my hair in a afro for 25 years or so.

A good friend also at IBM wore her hair in deadlocks. We never had a problem … but yes, we looked neat, polished off and professional in natural hair and professional suits – just like everyone else.

If a White person had stepped up in a Mohawk punk spikey style..... he would have been pulled aside too!

Now every month – we had a dress down day and everyone just went nuts . .. okay that was the day to show you personality.

I think sometimes people WEAR their issue though and that turns folks off. I worked with a gay guy – no problem, wore corp attire .. and then one day (for no particular reason) he stepped up with half his hair dyed pink. Well, no one said anything but … Then he started wearing this Lavender suit with the dark red shoes and white socks. Someone made a joke and his reaction was ‘I AM GAY .. GET USED TO IT’. The problem was not that he was gay .. it was that he wore inappropriate clothes to work,. He got fired and claimed it was discrimination – but we all just shook our heads. He started that mess. Stupid.

One co-worker attended the team meeting one day and suddenly got up there with an announcement. He was going to transition to a woman. Now this was 25 years ago and everyone just stared in shock. Okay, so bit by bit he started changing, He wore women’s eyeglasses first, and then he started with the long fake nails, and the skirts. Now he was a BIG UGLY DUDE (6’3) overweight and with a full beard so yes, he just started looking so badddd. He was in his 40’s so he already had a bold spot on his head but he grew out his scraggly hair anyway … and his 5 o’clock shadow grew in at 2:00. ,. I felt sorry for him though because he felt tortured because he felt he WAS a woman on the inside . People complained, customers complained - He got the ax too.

I have more stories like this … but basically that Black Lady at BP knew what she was doing when she stepped out in her Pan-African outfit.

Maybe she was one of those IN YOUR FACE .. I am Black person … so then yes, people are gonna be offended etc.

That was not corporate attire .. so just decided to express herself anyway .. so now she can sue for discrimination and make a some money.

You too damn old to be trolling like this Ma'm

Posted By: Wildfire
    Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 9:11am

Smh at the racist comments saying that things like this make people not want to hire minorities, that she looks like an African warrior and that she needed to be fired because the dress code needs to be enforced.

they tried to murder, beat, and rape this kind of "mess" out of us on the plantations (our music, our culture, our pride etc). it made them angry and fearful and it still makes them mad that we continue to remind them of who we are. Kings, and queens.

When in Rome *Shrugs*

TWA's?

oh.i get it now.

smh

Posted By: Wildfire
    Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 9:13am
    Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

Yep, yep.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 12:43pm
    Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

<p ="attachment"> http://thehairdame.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/0926-kourtney-kardashian-turban-hair-accessory_bd.jpg" rel="nofollow">0926-kourtney-kardashian-turban-hair-accessory_bd

Ok. Am I the only one that thinks turbans look stupid (totally mature word ) with hair out? Doesn't that somehow defeat the purpose of a turban?
    Nope. I don't think um, certain people know you don't wear it like a baseball cap.LOL

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 1:05pm

You could have stopped all my miserable thinkin of straightening if you just said this in the first place lol

Not sure if my hair can fit into a bun yet tho...or get into a weave bun.. Cry

Posted By: Fcgriffin
    Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 1:11pm
    Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

What do you mean by the bolded/underlined/highlighted?

Posted By: Princess_S
    Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 2:59pm
    LMAO at too damn old to troll

but what's deadlocks? 

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 7:18pm

You could have stopped all my miserable thinkin of straightening if you just said this in the first place lol

Not sure if my hair can fit into a bun yet tho...or get into a weave bun.. Cry

LOL

Get some marley (or whatever) hair, some bobby pins, go to youtube and watch a video on making marley hair buns and call it a day.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 7:59pm
    Did a roll and tuck hairstyle today and it was awesome..

Wearing it all week to work

Posted By: lady_tee
    Date Posted: Dec 12 2013 at 6:16pm
    kmt :(

Posted By: ShadyLady
    Date Posted: Dec 12 2013 at 7:47pm
    Ugh, why doesn't my job ever try me like this?!

I promise you, I'd just smile knowing those bastards bout to have me set for life.

My best friend's boo's boss told him this horrible joke about fried chicken, watermelon, and black people. I'm STIIIIIIIIILLLLL trying to figure out why this nicca still works there and hasn't talked to a lawyer yet.

Posted By: Xamaycana
    Date Posted: Dec 12 2013 at 11:56pm
    Traditional African attire is not  appropriate corporate wear.  Corporate Indian women don't go to work in Saris. If a German employee, showed up wearing leiderhausen , or a Scotsman a kilt they would have been fired too.

She is  high enough in the game to understand the corporate "uniform"

Posted By: newdiva1
    Date Posted: Dec 13 2013 at 12:04am
    Did she start off like this or did she switch it up once she got high in the ranks?

Print Page | Close Window