Print Page | Close Window

Official Natural Remedies Thread

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=366642
Printed Date: Aug 19 2018 at 5:03am

Topic: Official Natural Remedies Thread
Posted By: ModelessDiva
Subject: Official Natural Remedies Thread
Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 9:52pm

Post em in hereApprove

Heart

eta: skin care really isnt considered a "remedy" but we can add natural skin care tips in here too...
Smile

Replies:
Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:01pm
YAY!!

Lemon Balm is a great anxiety and stress reliever.

Warm milk mixed with a little tumeric is really good for colds, skin problems like acne, and detoxing the liver. It actually doesnt taste bad either.

Honey and lemon warmed and mixed stops a nasty cough and soothes throat

An onion on the sole of the foot will suck a fever right out of your body. You slice the onion (a flat piece) and put it on your sole. Put on like 2 pair of socks and get under those covers. By morning the onion will be pretty much cooked and the fever will be gone. I use this on my kids and it works like a charm.

This is a concotion my dad used to make when we got sick with a bad cold, flu. You boil some garlic cloves, onion slices until soft. Add some lemon and honey and a little peach snapps. Drink up! You might get a little buzz but you will sleep like a baby and wake up feeling alot better.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:01pm
What about for headaches? I got one right now Unhappy

Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:05pm

Glowing Skin

(this works for me)

Clear your acne, and get beautiful skin.

For clear glowing skin, a little home remedy does wonders for my complexion, as it should with yours too.

Steam your face for 20 minutes every night after washing it, then every other night after steaming your face, massage a half teaspoon castor oil over face.

Leave it on at night while you sleep and wash off immediately upon waking.

Steam face for twenty more minutes in the morning after washing. When you finish steaming your face splash your face with cool water and dry it.

If your skin starts to show any signs of a pimple forming. Take one night off from steaming and applying castor oil and apply Benzoyl Peroxide over face.

Take the next night off also from the steaming, castor oil, and benzoyl peroxide. Continue facial regimen with steaming and castor oil the following night.

This beauty secret will moisturize your face at the same time it will help clear up acne and pimples. But only if you work at it consistently.

Keep lips moisturized in the winter

Unchap and beautify your lips with this technique.

For soft, beautifully kissable lips, you need the following: a washcloth (I’m not kidding either), warm water, and your favorite brand of lip balm.

First you apply a coat of lip balm. Then wet one corner of the washcloth, put the warm wet corner of the washcloth between your lips, press them together and hold for 5 seconds.

Then gently massage any remaining lip balm from lips with the wet corner of the washcloth, and dry lips with a corner that’s dry.

Apply lip balm again to keep your lips chap free. You may also apply lipstick or lip gloss on over the layer of lip balm.

I learned this was the best way to keep lips from chapping, after going through too many winters with dried, and chapped lips.

Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:06pm
BB I can't think of any for headaches off the top of my head.

Hug

Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:09pm
Whenever I feel a stomach bug coming on. I mix about 2 tsp of diatomaceous earth with juice and drink it. Within about 20min to 1 hr I feel better.

Clover oil on a toothache. It tastes gross but the relief is worth it.

When cooking adding a little vinegar to your cooking oil keeps the food from absorbing as much oil.

A bowl of vinegar on your counter will absorb strong food odors. I do this when cooking fish.

Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

BB I can't think of any for headaches off the top of my head.

Hug

Thanks anyway Hug

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:14pm
I need to try the lemon balm one. Onions and feet...that smell lol

Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

I need to try the lemon balm one. Onions and feet...that smell lol

LOLYeah it does stink!! I had to use it on my 3 yr old last week and the smell was so strong I just threw away his socks.

Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Hug

i dont have anything either

hopefully someone else does

Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:22pm
Jamaican black castor oil for ringworm. My 5 yr old caught it at schoolAngry. But the JBCO helped it to clear up pretty quickly.

Eucalyptus oil dabbed on the foot of your baby's pajamas will help with congestion. The smell is so strong that you don't want it too close to their little face.

Eating oatmeal to increase breast milk production. I am breastfeeding and I swear by oatmeal. Make sure it is the good stuff and not that instant crap. Also the goya malt drink helps with milk production because it has hops in it.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:27pm

SexTongue

For sinus headaches: Heat up water in a dish in the microwave till it's pretty hot. Take a facecloth of liquid compress and place it in the water. Wring out the cloth (or take a dry cloth and wrap around the liquid compress) and place across your nose/cheeks and lay down. If you really need some help, rub a little vicks vapor rub on the compress/cloth. It really helps me.

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:33pm
Dang... I'm really curious about that onion in the sock trick, but I don't wanna get sick to find out if it works lol.

Posted By: HeyBeautiful18
Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:58pm
I like this thread!

Especially the anxiety tips. What exactly is lemon balm? Where can I get it

Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 11:00pm
Isn't the onion gonna make your sheets and blankets smell?

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 11:33pm
Horrible toothache, put an aspirin on the gum over/under the affected tooth and leave it there until it dissolves...it's gross as all get out but will work until you can get to the dentist.

Date Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

SexTongue

For sinus headaches: Heat up water in a dish in the microwave till it's pretty hot. Take a facecloth of liquid compress and place it in the water. Wring out the cloth (or take a dry cloth and wrap around the liquid compress) and place across your nose/cheeks and lay down. If you really need some help, rub a little vicks vapor rub on the compress/cloth. It really helps me.

SEX???????

Let me call up my boo!! LOL but...then that means I have to suck penis...ugh....Nevermind..I'll just suffer (.__.)

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 7:12am
cold remedy:

make a cup of tea starting with green or peppermint tea.
next squeeze fresh lemon
honey
cayenne pepper
and cut up some ginger. 

let it steep for a little and drink that bitch all day. You'll feel better

Thak Belle laterCool

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 7:19am

Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

SexTongue

SEX???????

Let me call up my boo!! LOL but...then that means I have to suck penis...ugh....Nevermind..I'll just suffer (.__.)
Lmao

Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 8:22am
Belle!

Haven't seen you in awhile   

Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 8:23am
Lmao BB!

Tell em you just want a quicky and just avoid all that

Posted By: HaitianLuv
Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 9:15am
Good ol' rum, lime, and honey for a cold. I dont believe it does anything but make me tipsy and fall asleepLOL

Posted By: GoldieLocks
Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 9:16am
1) Ringworm
          a: apply a coat of clear fingernail polish on the cleaned area on a regular basis until the rash clears up.

2) Headaches

a: peppermint oil applied to your temples
        b: take a shower and run hot water on the back of your neck then quickly switch to cold; repeat several times... This usually relieves pressure.
        c: (Never tried this one, but heard it works) If dehydration is the cause of your headache drinking a Poweraid or Gatorade as quickly as you can until finished, brings relief of bad head aches.
        d: apply rough pressure to the web area of your fingers between your thumb and point finger. You should be able to immediately feel the pressure point and hold for 30 seconds. Switch to next hand and repeat.

3) UTI
          a: Craneberry juice and as much water as you can stand

4) Yeast Inf.

a: A sugar-free non flavored yogurt drenched tampon Dead 

Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 10:40am
Originally posted by HeyBeautiful18 HeyBeautiful18 wrote:

I like this thread!

Especially the anxiety tips. What exactly is lemon balm? Where can I get it

You can find it in CVS, Rite Aid, any pharmacy I would think. But I get mine from CVS.

It is also called melissa leaves.

I use this one.

Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 12:52pm
get late periods induced by:

A: Black Cohosh/ Blue Cohosh supplements ( can also cause a miscarriage early on, so if you think you're preggo avoid)
   B: Heavy Vitamin C & raw Parsley intake

Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 12:55pm
Thank you!

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 1:00pm
Use Honey and Cinnamon for the following:

ARTHRITIS: Arthritis patients can benefit by taking one cup of hot water with two tablespoons of honey and one small teaspoon of cinnamon powder. When taken daily even chronic arthritis can be cured. In a recent research conducted at the Copenhagen University, it was found that when the doctors treated their patients with a mixture of one tablespoon Honey and half teaspoon Cinnamon powder before breakfast, they found that within a week (out of the 200 people so treated) practically 73 patients were totally relieved of pain -- and within a month, most all the patients who could not walk or move around because of arthritis now started walking without pain.

BLADDER INFECTIONS: Take two tablespoons of cinnamon powder and one teaspoon of honey in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it. It destroys the germs in the bladder....who knew?

CHOLESTEROL: Two tablespoons of honey and three teaspoons of Cinnamon Powder mixed in 16 ounces of tea water given to a cholesterol patient was found to reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood by 10 percent within two hours. As mentioned for arthritic patients, when taken three times a day, any chronic cholesterol-could be cured. According to information received in the said Journal, pure honey taken with food daily relieves complaints of cholesterol.

COLDS: Those suffering from common or severe colds should take one tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 spoon cinnamon powder daily for three days. This process will cure most chronic cough, cold, and, clear the sinuses, and it's delicious too!

UPSET STOMACH: Honey taken with cinnamon powder cures stomach ache and also is said to clear stomach ulcers from its root.

GAS: According to the studies done in India and Japan, it is revealed that when Honey is taken with cinnamon powder the stomach is relieved of gas.

IMMUNE SYSTEM: Daily use of honey and cinnamon powder strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacterial and viral attacks. Scientists have found that honey has various vitamins and iron in large amounts. Constant use of Honey strengthens the white blood corpuscles (where DNA is contained) to fight bacterial and viral diseases.

INDIGESTION: Cinnamon powder sprinkled on two tablespoons of honey taken before food is eaten relieves acidity and digests the heaviest of meals.

INFLUENZA: A scientist in Spain has proved that honey contains a natural 'Ingredient' which kills the influenza germs and saves the patient from flu.

LONGEVITY: Tea made with honey and cinnamon powder, when taken regularly, arrests the ravages of old age. Use four teaspoons of honey, one teaspoon of cinnamon powder, and three cups of boiling water to make a tea. Drink 1/4 cup, three to four times a day. It keeps the skin fresh and soft and arrests old age. Life spans increase and even a 100 year old will start performing the chores of a 20-year-old.

RASPY OR SORE THROAT: When throat has a tickle or is raspy, take one tablespoon of honey and sip until gone. Repeat every three hours until throat is without symptoms.

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 1:01pm
Detox Bath:

Apple Cider Vinegar
Bentonite Clay
Epsom Salt
Your favorite Essential oil

Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 1:14pm
That reminded me... Cinnamon helps control Type 2 Diabetic glucose levels in the same manner as Metformin.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 1:21pm
oil of oregano is a natural anti bacterial, antiviral, and antiseptic.. it is great for colds and for immune system in general. 

same for grapefruit seed extract.. but GSE has really strong anti fungal properties as well.. you can use it for athletes foot, douching (I've read..), making a natural dish soap, or just spraying it around the house (as well as the oil of oregano) to get rid of germs 

for stress and anxiety there are sooo many options.. i like holy basil though.. its pretty calming. 

i literally have so many natural remedies.. idk where to start.. ill be back. 

Posted By: kkscottdale
Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 1:22pm
collodial silver for pink eye

Posted By: .hott.pink.
Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 1:24pm
If you have a stomach ache, take a spoonful of vinegar followed by a spoonful of honey to settle your stomach acid and kill off bacteria. Been doing this since I was like 10 (got it from my mom) and it has never failed me. And vinegar actually just tastes like salt & vinegar chips. 

Posted By: .hott.pink.
Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by GoldieLocks GoldieLocks wrote:

A: Black Cohosh/ Blue Cohosh supplements ( can also cause a miscarriage early on, so if you think you're preggo avoid)

A girl in college took this to have an abortion. She has no kids so I guess it worked. 

Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by .hott.pink. .hott.pink. wrote:

A girl in college took this to have an abortion. She has no kids so I guess it worked. 

Yeah, people use the Cohosh's to induce miscarriages too by taking more then the recommended dosage until bleeding starts. One of my friends used to take it during her " I think I might be" months to get back on track... Some people use it for menopause symptoms as well

Posted By: BrownQtee
Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 1:59pm

B: Heavy Vitamin C & raw Parsley intake
I'll add rigorous exercise to this list. A heavy hour of cardio/aerobic exercise works every time.

For a cough/sore throat that won't quit..massage a good amount of vicks vapor rub onto both bare feet..then cover immediately with tube socks. Works like a charm.

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 2:09pm

Both peppermint and willow bark are good for headaches. Willow bark contains a natural ibuprofen. Cayenne pepper is good also and works as a blood thinner.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 9:02pm

nothing else?

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 9:08pm
Boil some cloves in water and drink it to settle an slight upset stomach.  It has to be whole cloves, not ground.  You can also add some fresh ginger root and a cinnamon stick to give it a bit of taste.  Plus the ginger root would also help settle your stomach.

Dandelion leaf is a great diuretic.  If you are feeling bloated, drink a cup and you will be pissing like a racehorse going to the glue factory.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 9:11pm

That reminded me... Cinnamon helps control Type 2 Diabetic glucose levels in the same manner as Metformin.

But please get the real cinnamon, not the cassia that you commonly see in the grocery store.  That is the false cinnamon.  I think the Saigon cinnamon is the one that helps the glucose levels.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

Jamaican black castor oil for ringworm. My 5 yr old caught it at schoolAngry. But the JBCO helped it to clear up pretty quickly.

Eucalyptus oil dabbed on the foot of your baby's pajamas will help with congestion. The smell is so strong that you don't want it too close to their little face.

Eating oatmeal to increase breast milk production. I am breastfeeding and I swear by oatmeal. Make sure it is the good stuff and not that instant crap. Also the goya malt drink helps with milk production because it has hops in it.

Drinking beer also helps with milk production, in case we have members that don't have a store that carries malt.  But I am not saying that you should knock back 2 forty ounces to get your milk production up.  Think those light ales/lager that they sell at Trader Joes.  IMO the best beer and I generally hate beer.

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 9:15pm
hmm. i've been trying to get my period to come for weeks. (no im not pregnant)

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 9:17pm
If you are trying to sleep and you are feeling tense, a cup of valerian tea will calm your nerves and make it easier to fall asleep.  Warning, valerian is not the best smelling herb. At worst, smells like a plate of sick and at best it "herbal-y".  Otherwise chamomile tea will do the trick.

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

Up your vit C intake drastically. 100mg every hour for about 9 hrs straight.
Drink cranberry juice to flush kidneys while doing this. Don't do this if you have a history of kidney stones or other kidney problems.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 9:50pm

maybe its from working out a lot..? 

or maybe your hormones are imbalanced.. 
GLA (the omega) can help balance hormones 

Posted By: Untitled_Diva
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 9:52pm

Pink Eye use black tea

I got pink eye about 2 weeks ago. I just moved to a new state so I don't have a doctor.
I used black tea that I steeped in water. I just dropped it in my eyes 2x a day for 3 days. My pink eye was gone after that.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 9:54pm
Eat a papaya and swallow all of the seeds (don't chew) for constipation.
It's an amazing bowel cleanser, the seeds are indigestible, so be prepared to see them again in the toilet bowl.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 9:59pm
So obviously then, cranberry juice to flush kidney stones

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 10:01pm
i was about to say, yall coconuts betta come in here and spill the secrets Geek

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

Up your vit C intake drastically. 100mg every hour for about 9 hrs straight.
Drink cranberry juice to flush kidneys while doing this. Don't do this if you have a history of kidney stones or other kidney problems.

i got excited for a second because i have vitamin c in cabinet
but i have a bad history of oversized devil kidney stones

@coco, i havent started working out but a few times yet and i didnt change my diet til a week or two after it was late 
i do have some omega vitamins in cab too though 

weird cuz im usually an exact 28 dayer 

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

oil of oregano is a natural anti bacterial, antiviral, and antiseptic.. it is great for colds and for immune system in general. 

same for grapefruit seed extract.. but GSE has really strong anti fungal properties as well.. you can use it for athletes foot, douching (I've read..), making a natural dish soap, or just spraying it around the house (as well as the oil of oregano) to get rid of germs 

for stress and anxiety there are sooo many options.. i like holy basil though.. its pretty calming. 

i literally have so many natural remedies.. idk where to start.. ill be back. 

can you expound

anything for energy/concentration?

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 10:11pm
Sucks! Welp, hit the cranberry juice to dissolve them and flush them if they do return.
It works very well.

Anise seed tea for babies with gas.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 10:13pm
Rosemary essential oil for concentration, to rejuvinate the brain, and for an instant boost to mood when feeling depressed. Inhale it only..it is not good to digest.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 10:14pm
not everyones body can convert linolenic acid to gamma linolenic acid.. especially if under stress and stuff.. 
so i think you'd need to take GLA specifically (if hormonal imbalance is your problem) 

there are bottles that just say, 'gla' or you can get borage seed oil or evening primrose 

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 10:22pm
Peppermint boots memory. Studies show that chewing peppermint gum during a school exam helps recall and clearer thinking.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 10:35pm

Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

can you expound

anything for energy/concentration?

just now seeing this… 

for stress/anxiety 
holy basil, valerian, st johns wart, kava kava, 5-htp (more so for depression), ashwaganda, lemon balm, and l-theinine 
ill add more as i think of them 

for concentration/cognitive health/memory  
omegas, curcumin (tumeric), bacopa, gotu kola, gingko biloba, phosphatidylserine (sp?), acetyl l carnitine  

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 10:38pm
thanks guys
saved thread 

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 10:53pm
Southern, have you been around a girl much more than you usually are? or around one on birth control ( Lol, I know menstrual synchrony might be controversial, but I swear other girls have thrown mine off, and I've done the same to them)

Or stressed out more than usual maybe

Anywho, the pressure point on the hand that was posted does help with headaches.. also the powerade trick.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 11:00pm
I have so many remedies my granny passed down to us, but many of the names are cultural and not botanical, therefore finding these herbs and tinctures in north america are nearly impossible. Some of them seem like magic too, cause the white man hasn't figured them out yet..and I kind of don't want him to...

And some other remedies ya'll ain't ready for!!! Like how to get that snap back always gooder than good, illest nana.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Southern, have you been around a girl much more than you usually are? or around one on birth control ( Lol, I know menstrual synchrony might be controversial, but I swear other girls have thrown mine off, and I've done the same to them)

Or stressed out more than usual maybe

Anywho, the pressure point on the hand that was posted does help with headaches.. also the powerade trick.

Yea on Christmas break. They were on theirs so (tmi) I started spotting but nothing ever came

Posted By: IslandSuga
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

I have so many remedies my granny passed down to us, but many of the names are cultural and not botanical, therefore finding these herbs and tinctures in north america are nearly impossible. Some of them seem like magic too, cause the white man hasn't figured them out yet..and I kind of don't want him to...

And some other remedies ya'll ain't ready for!!! Like how to get that snap back always gooder than good, illest nana.

Although I have nothing to snap back you need to spill them beans girl!

Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 11:14pm
Whoa whoa whoaaaa
Cool nuh
We're only on page 6. I gotta ease ya'll into something like that.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 11:43pm
we on page 7 nah shawty, so how bout dat secret? GeekStern Smile

Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:49am
Not exactly a remedy but....a few drops of lavender essential oil on your pillow can aid relaxation for falling asleep.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Miss B Miss B wrote:

Not exactly a remedy but....a few drops of lavender essential oil on your pillow can aid relaxation for falling asleep.

wouldn't your pillow get extra oily after while lolLOL

i might have to use a towel or old pillowcase

Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:04am

would you have to re-apply it every night if you need it?

or does it last you a few days

Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:05am
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

Originally posted by Miss B Miss B wrote:

wouldn't your pillow get extra oily after while lolLOL

i might have to use a towel or old pillowcase

lol a little goes a long way. The scent is pretty strong, and the drops aren't especially greasy. It's not like olive oil or something, lol. A towel isn't a bad idea though.

Print Page | Close Window