Print Page | Close Window

Change natural or get Expelled

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=366395
Printed Date: Sep 19 2018 at 6:08pm


Topic: Change natural or get Expelled
Posted By: cece1987
Subject: Change natural or get Expelled
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 6:12pm

Change Natural Hairstyle or Get Expelled, School Tells 12-Year-Old Girl

for the video just scroll down sorry!


A 12-year-old girl will be http://yhoo.it/1eopJIf" rel="nofollow - expelled  from a Florida school unless she gets her hair under control, school officials have told her. Vanessa VanDyke, an honors student and violinist at the Faith Christian Academy in Orlando, tells  http://www.clickorlando.com/news/africanamerican-girl-faces-expulsion-over-natural-hair/-/1637132/23160118/-/ajcxtsz/-/index.html" rel="nofollow - WKMG  that administrators have given her one week to decide whether to cut and shape her hair or leave the school, which she has attended since the third grade

Faith Christian Academy did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Yahoo Shine. And VanDyke’s mother, Sabrina Kent, could not be reached for comment. 

But WKMG reports that the school’s handbook includes a section on hair that says it “must be a natural color and must not be a distraction,” stating examples that include mohawks, shaved designs and rat tails. However, notes Kent, “A distraction to one person is not a distraction to another. You can have a kid come in with pimples on his face. Are you going to call that a distraction?"


VanDyke wears her hair in a natural African-American style, which she says she won’t change. “It says that I'm unique,” she tells WKMG. “First of all, it's puffy and I like it that way. I know people will tease me about it because it’s not straight. I don’t fit in.”

She notes that fellow students have recently been teasing her about her hairstyle and it has only become an issue with the school since her family logged complaints about those incidents. Still, if the Faith Christian Academy administrators won’t reverse course, VanDyke says she will go to school elsewhere.
I’m depressed about leaving my friends and people that I’ve known for a while, but I'd rather have that than the principals and administrators picking on me and saying that I should change my hair,” she explains.





Replies:
Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 6:24pm
tl;dr? faith christian academy tells little girl to change the natural hair that god gave her.

distraction? way to punish her for standing up for herself.  ignant ass people.  

bless that baby's heart for being mature about the whole thing and sticking to her principles. 


Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 6:25pm
Jealous of that volume


Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 6:28pm
Its time find another school.


Posted By: cece1987
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 6:31pm


Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 6:32pm
America's wang strikes again


Posted By: Wynter
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 6:43pm
I'm sure this will be an unpopular OPINION but her hair is a distraction. Can another student see sitting behind her? Most importantly its dangerous for her....kids are cruel. They can stick sh*t in it, pull it and cause her to hurt herself.

Is there really a reason she should wear her hair so big to school?


Posted By: cece1987
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Wynter Wynter wrote:

I'm sure this will be an unpopular OPINION but her hair is a distraction. Can another student see sitting behind her? Most importantly its dangerous for her....kids are cruel. They can stick sh*t in it, pull it and cause her to hurt herself.

Is there really a reason she should wear her hair so big to school?

Because that is the way it grows out of her head! When I took music classes, we sat with an open window style so no one would directly be behind anyone. So next comment?


Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Wynter Wynter wrote:

I'm sure this will be an unpopular OPINION but her hair is a distraction. Can another student see sitting behind her? Most importantly its dangerous for her....kids are cruel. They can stick sh*t in it, pull it and cause her to hurt herself.

Is there really a reason she should wear her hair so big to school?

These aren't little kids. 


Posted By: texasmami0117
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 7:04pm
I'm jealous too and I don't think she should have to change it...especially now that they told her too...but i honestly wouldn't let my daughter rock that style to school. jbh.


Posted By: cece1987
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by texasmami0117 texasmami0117 wrote:

I'm jealous too and I don't think she should have to change it...especially now that they told her too...but i honestly wouldn't let my daughter rock that style to school. jbh.


Do you mind answering why? Because I think her hair looks beautiful.


Posted By: texasmami0117
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 7:11pm

her hair is beautiful! i know some people don't like the idea of people saying our hair has to be "done" but thats how I was raised. My brother rocked a fro that size in middle school but he wasn't mature enough to keep it from looking unruly by noon. grass pencils lint looking lop sided. you gotta be old enough to keep it looking how it did when u left i guess...beautiful.



Posted By: cece1987
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 7:16pm
I understand your point, but she doesn't seem like the type to be a rough and tumble girl at her age. But I could be wrong. It shouldn't be forced upon her, to change though. Becky's stringy, anorexic, bleach blond locks ad nauseam; and that is very distracting to me.


Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 7:20pm
Yes we all adore her hair. It will still be natural in a ponytail or bun. She should pack it up and continue being a honor roll student. Braiding, banding, even threading will not change the ethnicity or naturalness. All of this is unnecessary for a middle school student. I don't blame the school it is a distraction. I'm sure the fro is higher in the summer time. Much more things to worry about.


Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 7:23pm
She could try rocking a twist out.


Posted By: cece1987
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 7:30pm
Eff that, I'm tired of pacifying for these stringy hair jealous mofo's. They say "oh your hair is too loud tone it down." "Your locks are threatening unlock them", "your hair is short grow some more". Effffffffffff those Caks, I'm tired of us trying to conform to their standards, they can't let us be great. I can understand if she was failing her classes and her main worry was hair style. But she is an honor student, and she is taking extracurricular activities. This should be her reward, not punishment. okay I let it all outSmile


Posted By: patternsandtexture
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 7:41pm
Illogical fallacies in this thread. It's not a fad or nothing, it just shows how passive we really become and that we have to give in because a nation hates us for having anything to do with being who we are biologically and culturally. Fcuk those haters and they give nothing in return so why should we?

This is reason why we need to build our own schools and businesses.


Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Wynter Wynter wrote:

I'm sure this will be an unpopular OPINION but her hair is a distraction. Can another student see sitting behind her? Most importantly its dangerous for her....kids are cruel. They can stick sh*t in it, pull it and cause her to hurt herself.

Is there really a reason she should wear her hair so big to school?


I appreciate your honesty but think about it: if it were a rock punker white girl with purple spiked hair who had received a similar request do you REALLY think the school would have requested that? Even if they did, do you really think this would not have been resolved by the time the media got involved?


Posted By: Wynter
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Yes we all adore her hair. It will still be natural in a ponytail or bun. She should pack it up and continue being a honor roll student. Braiding, banding, even threading will not change the ethnicity or naturalness. All of this is unnecessary for a middle school student. I don't blame the school it is a distraction. I'm sure the fro is higher in the summer time. Much more things to worry about.


This is what I was trying to say...


Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Wynter Wynter wrote:

I'm sure this will be an unpopular OPINION but her hair is a distraction. Can another student see sitting behind her? Most importantly its dangerous for her....kids are cruel. They can stick sh*t in it, pull it and cause her to hurt herself.

Is there really a reason she should wear her hair so big to school?


Kids can do that with any type of hair!!


Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:07pm
i wouldn't change it


Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:14pm
I guess my biggest question is, if a little White girl came to school with big curls in her hair the same size, would she face this threat as well?


Posted By: Abstract Poetic
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Wynter Wynter wrote:

I'm sure this will be an unpopular OPINION but her hair is a distraction. Can another student see sitting behind her? Most importantly its dangerous for her....kids are cruel. They can stick sh*t in it, pull it and cause her to hurt herself.

Is there really a reason she should wear her hair so big to school?

Seriously?


Posted By: Wynter
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Abstract Poetic Abstract Poetic wrote:

Originally posted by Wynter Wynter wrote:

I'm sure this will be an unpopular OPINION but her hair is a distraction. Can another student see sitting behind her? Most importantly its dangerous for her....kids are cruel. They can stick sh*t in it, pull it and cause her to hurt herself.

Is there really a reason she should wear her hair so big to school?


Seriously?


Yep! That's seriously my opinion.


Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Wynter Wynter wrote:

I'm sure this will be an unpopular OPINION but her hair is a distraction. Can another student see sitting behind her? Most importantly its dangerous for her....kids are cruel. They can stick sh*t in it, pull it and cause her to hurt herself.

Is there really a reason she should wear her hair so big to school?



Sleepy
if THEY do something, she isn't hurting herself. THEY are hurting her.


Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by cece1987 cece1987 wrote:



LOL


Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:30pm
I'd send her to school the next day with bigger hair.
I'm a rebel.


Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by cece1987 cece1987 wrote:

Eff that, I'm tired of pacifying for these stringy hair jealous mofo's. They say "oh your hair is too loud tone it down." "Your locks are threatening unlock them", "your hair is short grow some more". Effffffffffff those Caks, I'm tired of us trying to conform to their standards, they can't let us be great. I can understand if she was failing her classes and her main worry was hair style. But she is an honor student, and she is taking extracurricular activities. This should be her reward, not punishment. okay I let it all outSmile
Basically.

She's rocking a blow out or picked out fro. They need to stop.



Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

Originally posted by Wynter Wynter wrote:

I'm sure this will be an unpopular OPINION but her hair is a distraction. Can another student see sitting behind her? Most importantly its dangerous for her....kids are cruel. They can stick sh*t in it, pull it and cause her to hurt herself.

Is there really a reason she should wear her hair so big to school?

Sleepy
if THEY do something, she isn't hurting herself. THEY are hurting her.


Thank you!!!  Yes everything done to young black children reminds me of Trayvon and THEY said he shouldn't have worn a hoodie.  Get all the way the fck out of here trying to suggest the invitation to victimization just for being a living black child of the "different" persuation is warranted.  I can't even put into words how mad this thread just made me.


Posted By: MsDidi13
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 10:38pm
I know in the workplace it is illegal to ask someone to change their hair from its natural state because it is considered discrimination.  I would think that this rule would still apply here.  Also, why does she have to shave her head or alter it drastically?  Someone mentioned a bun...that should have been a suggestion if the size was really the distraction.  I think the issue is not the size but the texture, as to why she is getting ridiculed.  Also, as a Christian, I think it is odd that the focus of the authority is on the victim opposed to teaching the other children to be respectful and loving.  They should be the one's disciplined for their issues which could also be racially based.  That is what disturbs me the most.  I hope something stupid like this does not affect this young girl's faith.  She is being treated like a second class citizen because she is black.  That's the bottom line.


Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 10:42pm
I don't think the issue is with her hair texture, but rather how it is styled. There was no attempt made to groom it. It's not even an afro, it's just...frizz. Every child's hair should be groomed before going to school.


Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 10:47pm
this reminds me of when I started doing my little sisters hair for school.  she has BIG kinky curly hair that I wanted her to be proud of.  I wasn't letting my fam get her on the creamy crack like they did me at 7.  I would have her wear it out, something in the front to keep it out of her face, but basically loud like here i am hello world lol...my mom was like HELL NO.  but now she's going on 18 years old and still loves and takes care of her natural texture.  she wears it out and my mom can't stop it.


Posted By: SN2BPHD
Date Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 11:35pm
Civil rights case.


Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 12:05am
They told her to either cut or straighten her hair, or gtfo. They told her this after her mother complained to school authorities about kids (prob. white) picking on her about her hair. Instead of reprimanding those little sh*ts, they tell her this. 
This isnt about the style. 
At all.


Y'all (that are saying it is) are cute for trying tho.


Posted By: iluvmihair
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 3:06am
Originally posted by SN2BPHD SN2BPHD wrote:

Civil rights case.

I'm saying? ACLuggagets no days off! This is ridiculous and should not be happening in the year of my Lord 20 and 13! Angry


Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 4:46am
all throughout the 80's and 90's white women were wearing big hair (just like that girls) because it was fashionable and no one said a word.   the minute they change their mind on what is pleasing to eye black people are suppose to conform.  they stay making blackness a crime.


Posted By: patternsandtexture
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 6:59am
Demons, fcuk em! Go and do your thing lil child!!


Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 8:11am
How would they feel if they were asked to put chemicals in their child's hair. This is crazy. If I were mom I would go up to the school with a list of why everything they are asking is wrong and dangerous


Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

I'd send her to school the next day with bigger hair.
I'm a rebel.
This


Posted By: BrownQtee
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 8:48am

Hopefully an attorney steps in to help this family. Personally, I would not want my child attending that school after this debacle, but I be damned if I don't try my hardest to make them regret their decision.



Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Wynter Wynter wrote:

I'm sure this will be an unpopular OPINION but her hair is a distraction. Can another student see sitting behind her? Most importantly its dangerous for her....kids are cruel. They can stick sh*t in it, pull it and cause her to hurt herself.

Is there really a reason she should wear her hair so big to school?


the reason she can wear it that big is because she can. it is (more or less) how the hair grows out of her head. nothing about her hair is "fadish"

the kids behind her can work around it or shift their chair. same thing as when a short kid sits behind a tall one. it may not be the most convenient for you as the short person, but you work with it.

by "toning it down", the school is trying to make her conform to a norm that is unnatural for her

and if she's one of the few black kids in class, then they will pick at her for something. don't matter how her hair looks, really. if you were to look at the situation thru the lens of it being "dangerous" her very existence as a black girl in this world is dangerous.




Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 11:01am
If a yt girl came in there with extremely curly/frizzy hair or some eccentric look, no one would bat an eye. Why does this girl have to go through all this nonsense just for being who she is? Plus, they were fine with it until mom complained about the teasing.

I think her hair is beautiful. We are the only race of people that have to assimilate and change just to make others feel comfortable. Fucc that, leave her alone and focus on other pressing matters like bullying, school shootings, and school security....smh.


Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 1:27pm
 
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

Originally posted by Wynter Wynter wrote:

I'm sure this will be an unpopular OPINION but her hair is a distraction. Can another student see sitting behind her? Most importantly its dangerous for her....kids are cruel. They can stick sh*t in it, pull it and cause her to hurt herself.

Is there really a reason she should wear her hair so big to school?


the reason she can wear it that big is because she can. it is (more or less) how the hair grows out of her head. nothing about her hair is "fadish"

the kids behind her can work around it or shift their chair. same thing as when a short kid sits behind a tall one. it may not be the most convenient for you as the short person, but you work with it.

by "toning it down", the school is trying to make her conform to a norm that is unnatural for her

and if she's one of the few black kids in class, then they will pick at her for something. don't matter how her hair looks, really. if you were to look at the situation thru the lens of it being "dangerous" her very existence as a black girl in this world is dangerous.




Umm If I'm paying tuition I'LL BE DAMN IF MY CHILD CAME HOME AND TOLD ME THEY HAD TO SHIFT EVERYTIME TO SEE THE BOARD. You and your fro with the little flower on the side can have several seats in the corner and you can do YOUR work from there!!! Don't be tryna block my babies dreams and aspirations cos you ran out of "stay-so-fro".

Carry on.......


Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

 
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

Originally posted by Wynter Wynter wrote:

I'm sure this will be an unpopular OPINION but her hair is a distraction. Can another student see sitting behind her? Most importantly its dangerous for her....kids are cruel. They can stick sh*t in it, pull it and cause her to hurt herself.

Is there really a reason she should wear her hair so big to school?


the reason she can wear it that big is because she can. it is (more or less) how the hair grows out of her head. nothing about her hair is "fadish"

the kids behind her can work around it or shift their chair. same thing as when a short kid sits behind a tall one. it may not be the most convenient for you as the short person, but you work with it.

by "toning it down", the school is trying to make her conform to a norm that is unnatural for her

and if she's one of the few black kids in class, then they will pick at her for something. don't matter how her hair looks, really. if you were to look at the situation thru the lens of it being "dangerous" her very existence as a black girl in this world is dangerous.




Umm If I'm paying tuition I'LL BE DAMN IF MY CHILD CAME HOME AND TOLD ME THEY HAD TO SHIFT EVERYTIME TO SEE THE BOARD. You and your fro with the little flower on the side can have several seats in the corner and you can do YOUR work from there!!! Don't be tryna block my babies dreams and aspirations cos you ran out of "stay-so-fro".

Carry on.......


LOL @ stay so fro

*shrug* then your kid can get a new seat in the front. my point was that seating is something that can be worked around. no need to change her hair for it.




Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 1:43pm
I can't c the vid. Is it blue ivy status or is her fro just too big? Is it a wash and go? Is ot styled big or is her natural untouched fro just long? I tried getting an idea from the comments. Most said "how her hair grows out her head."


Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 1:47pm
IA w/ Wynter and Suga here.  I'm all for natural hair--I've been rocking it before it was "cool" to be natural.
School is not a fashion hair show.   She can easily rock a natural style that isn't as distracting.  That's really what's up here.  She likes the attn so she poofs it up. 

And no my kid won't be moving his chair either to see over a 18 inch poof
LOL  Pick your battles wisely.  Fighting for the right to wear poofy hair is a waste of time and energy IMO.


Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

IA w/ Wynter and Suga here.  I'm all for natural hair--I've been rocking it before it was "cool" to be natural.
School is not a fashion hair show.   She can easily rock a natural style that isn't as distracting.  That's really what's up here.  She likes the attn so she poofs it up. 

And no my kid won't be moving his chair either to see over a 18 inch poof
LOL  Pick your battles wisely.  Fighting for the right to wear poofy hair is a waste of time and energy IMO.

Y'all didnt read. (or wont read, I'm not sure which)

She's been wearing her hair like this all year, and it only became a problem when her mother said kids were picking on her. This is a battle that definitely needs to be fought. Not only is the school attempting to punish her for speaking out, it's obvious that they've been looking for a reason to get her and her hair out of their school. They didnt say sh*t about styling. They didnt say sh*t about putting it in a ponytail or a bun. They said: Cut it off, straighten it, or find another school. 


Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 1:58pm
i see your points as well (wynter, suga, tbaby) but i feel that saying it is a distraction is an excuse for them to get her to conform. the admin is (IMO) basically victim blaming her and saying "well, if your hair wasn't such a distraction, you wouldn't be bullied."

and why wasn't this issue brought up earlier in the year? they have been in school since late aug/september and it seems like only admin had an issue w/ it ever since mom brought up the issue of bullying.

and the alternatives presented to her (according to the vid) was either straighten her hair or cut it. those are not reasonable alternatives IMO. your alternatives (ponytail, etc) are reasonable and i'm sure that mom and daughter would agree with those, and maybe even brought them up.

eta: she has been there since the third grade and i assume that she has worn her hair in a similar manner for some of those years. it wasn't a distraction then?




Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 2:26pm
if one of these were in class.. it wouldn't have been a problem 
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hair-relaxers-for-white-people.html" rel="nofollow">
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf/Beauty/Hair_Tips/Frizzy_Hair/Remedies-for-Frizzy-Hair.html" rel="nofollow">
http://www.zimbio.com/Sex+and+the+City/articles/147/Affairs+Hair+Sex+City+Styles+Through+Years" rel="nofollow">
http://www.liketotally80s.com/80s-yearbook-pictures.html" rel="nofollow">


Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

IA w/ Wynter and Suga here.  I'm all for natural hair--I've been rocking it before it was "cool" to be natural.
School is not a fashion hair show.   She can easily rock a natural style that isn't as distracting.  That's really what's up here.  She likes the attn so she poofs it up. 

And no my kid won't be moving his chair either to see over a 18 inch poof
LOL  Pick your battles wisely.  Fighting for the right to wear poofy hair is a waste of time and energy IMO.

Y'all didnt read. (or wont read, I'm not sure which)

She's been wearing her hair like this all year, and it only became a problem when her mother said kids were picking on her. This is a battle that definitely needs to be fought. Not only is the school attempting to punish her for speaking out, it's obvious that they've been looking for a reason to get her and her hair out of their school. They didnt say sh*t about styling. They didnt say sh*t about putting it in a ponytail or a bun. They said: Cut it off, straighten it, or find another school. 


I can read, and more importantly I can analyze what was written.  The article is based on what the mother said--cut or straighten.  The handbook clearly states distracting hair styles aren't permitted.  It doesn't say all persons need straight hair, or short hair.  It states no distracting styles.  So if she came to school w/ a bun or ponytail, logic dictates she wouldn't be so attn getting, and the school would probably be fine with that. 

I can basically poof mine to look just like her's or I can "tone it down" so that I can look polished and professional at work.  Natural hair isn't a wild beast that can't be "tamed" to  suit the situation. Smile
 






Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:



I can read, and more importantly I can analyze what was written.  The article is based on what the mother said--cut or straighten.  The handbook clearly states distracting hair styles aren't permitted.  It doesn't say all persons need straight hair, or short hair.  It states no distracting styles.  So if she came to school w/ a bun or ponytail, logic dictates she wouldn't be so attn getting, and the school would probably be fine with that.  

I can basically poof mine to look just like her's or I can "tone it down" so that I can look polished and professional at work.  Natural hair isn't a wild beast that can't be "tamed" to  suit the situation. Smile


Logic dictates that if they wanted her to come with her hair in a bun or a ponytail, that's what they would have said. Logic also dictates that they would have told her this when she began the school year wearing her hair out and poofy. It doesnt seem like you're analyzing this situation.


Posted By: Wynter
Date Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 9:30pm
It became a distraction when she began complaining about kids teasing her. They probably didn't care before but now that time has to be taken from "Teaching" to address the teasing they have to do something.

Also, we didn't hear the school say she had to cut it or straighten it. I'm 99% sure a ponytail or even braids would be acceptable. She can feel free to puff it up outside of school.


Posted By: sweet_n_stuff04
Date Posted: Nov 29 2013 at 5:08am
I don't think it's right that the school isn't addressing the kids that bully the little girl. Also, and people are going to get mad, I think her hair looks crazy Ermm.


Posted By: GG
Date Posted: Nov 29 2013 at 6:11am
Well, how people wear their hair is personal preference. "Polished" hair is subjective and whites have always tried to enforce upon others that their standard of beauty is the only way. There's people today who hate their own hair texture and think straightening agents are the only way and some who enjoy their natural hair. For many people their hair is a part of self esteem and morale.

That hooters girl with the blonde in her hair doesn't deserve prosecution anymore than this girl does. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. Her hair is only an issue now because she wants acceptance and it's not "widely acceptable" to be natural. They probably couldn't wait to say something about her hair once the opportunity arose to hide it behind something else.


Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Nov 29 2013 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Wynter Wynter wrote:

It became a distraction when she began complaining about kids teasing her. They probably didn't care before but now that time has to be taken from "Teaching" to address the teasing they have to do something.

Also, we didn't hear the school say she had to cut it or straighten it. I'm 99% sure a ponytail or even braids would be acceptable. She can feel free to puff it up outside of school.

The school did say the bolded...it was on the news...They want the child to cut her hair smh


Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Nov 29 2013 at 8:38am
Why can't she just wear it in a bun? 


Posted By: leftywefty
Date Posted: Nov 29 2013 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Yardgirl Yardgirl wrote:

Why can't she just wear it in a bun? 

Because putting it in a bun is acknowledging that something is "wrong" with her hair and it needs to be tamed. 

Nobody says anything to those dog haired smelling white girls.



Print Page | Close Window