Print Page | Close Window

What was your motivating moment?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=366106
Printed Date: Oct 20 2019 at 7:32pm

Topic: What was your motivating moment?
Posted By: oh_so_moody
Subject: What was your motivating moment?
Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 11:41am
What or who was/were the person/words/moment that made you get it together?

The goals or dreams that you had that you weren't actively pursuing...... who snapped you into reality to start working towards them? What were they? Starting or going back to school? Starting own business or even separating yourself from negative people or places?

I had someone tell me something on yesterday that was meant to be negative but has snapped me back to reality and reminded me that if I don't make time for the things I want/need to do and achieve no one else will.

What ignited the fire in you?

Replies:
Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 11:47am
A book posted by Tatee helped me lose weight.  It's called Change Or Die

The thing about motivation for me is that motivating moments are very fleeting so I need something to hold me over the long run and I need to build habits that will achieve my goal.  Anyway, its a good book, I'd suggest it if you want to achieve something but you are having trouble fixing bad habits.

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 11:49am
My depression hit rock bottom, I saw a therapist. She reminded me that this is life. I have to live it today, not tomorrow. She taught me to live in the moment more.

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 12:00pm
When I was a teen my (passing for yt) aunt was angry with me for fighting with her daughter so she told me I'd always be fat, black, ignorant and only had to look forward to being a "baby momma"

That ignited me, I was in the 11th grade; I stopped smoking weed, lost the weight, began to study, got great grades, went on to college, have a career, married well and moved out of the hood.
Auntie and her daughter are still living in the same situation but now the daughter has four children and a live in "baby daddy" who just got out of jail.

I never mentioned this to family and I'm kind to the aunt and her daughter but they still hate me and I can live with that.Big smile

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 12:03pm
My doctor simple asked me " Do you want to die young like your mother"Stern Smile
sh*t hurt but it woke me up!!

Posted By: patternsandtexture
Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 12:35pm
Nothing, I'm on a pathway of war and destruction. I am the darkness that clouds the light.

But seriously, no one inspires me though, I feel very uninspirational when people try to say inspiring things, but when you give me logic and facts I feel happy and I take it in.

Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by MsBMW MsBMW wrote:

My doctor simple asked me " Do you want to die young like your mother"Stern Smile

Why he said that too you?

Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by patternsandtexture patternsandtexture wrote:

My weight was out of control and I became a diabetic..My mom died at 42 from diabetes...Got my stuff together I no longer take insulin three times a day...  

Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 12:48pm
That's real good!! I'm glad.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 12:49pm

My weight was out of control and I became a diabetic..My mom died at 42 from diabetes...Got my stuff together I no longer take insulin three times a day...  

Clap

Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 12:51pm
Thanks Guys....Smile

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 12:53pm

Clap Good for You!!!
Weight management is a daily battle for some of us.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 2:01pm
My bae is getting me together at the moment.

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 2:03pm
getting laid off from a job and watching my friends move on to graduate school

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 2:19pm

nevermind

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 4:20pm
i was fueled by hate

Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

i was fueled by hate

That's a powerful word. It will motivate you, that's for sure.

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 5:56pm
Hmm...i'm inspired by a lot of situations. As a matter of fact, i constantly struggle internally with my will, so i am constantly seeking tips, quotes, advice, anything that can help to motivate me and keep me active.
If i don't feel like I have a purpose, i am completely inactive. The issue is that I for some strange reason, when i have to do something for myself i drag my feet a lot, but when someone else is counting on my actions to help their situation I do it straight away and in detail, with love.

It truly is a viscious cycle for me.
However, a certain family member and I have a lot in common (not in personality traits, just in circumstance) and also a very rocky relationship. This family member happens to be the epitome of what not to be in life, so needless to say, i think about that person a lot as the motivation I need to keep my will up.

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 9:56pm

i was fueled by hate

Yep and the fact people assumed the worst for and doubted me ...however, I gotta say my aunt kept encouraging me to keep moving ahead and believed in me and my mom always being so pumped when I accomplished things. 

Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by khivey khivey wrote:

i was fueled by hate

Yep and the fact people assumed the worst for and doubted me ...however, I gotta say my aunt kept encouraging me to keep moving ahead and believed in me and my mom always being so pumped when I accomplished things. 

I can relate to that. I tend to go above and beyond because it makes my mom so proud. She brags all the time on my accolades. It's embarrasing but she eats the attention up so who am I to deny her.

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 11:52pm
Nothing right now.

When I was in school, my degree was my motivation. When I graduated, getting a career was my motivation. Now, I feel stuck. A degree and career mean nothing when that's your ending point. I've become stagnant and lazy.

I don't like where I am in life right now. I'm not happy...I'm just content and comfortable.

If my intentions were put into action, I'd be the most fulfilled person in the world.

I'm at the point where I feel like I can't even get married until I get my sh*t together. I don't wanna be married and complacent...that would just be a recipe for disaster.

Every night before bed I make a mental note of all the things I'm going to do the next day (outside of work) i.e. volunteer, read, enroll in school. Does it happen? Nope, nope, and nope.

I just work, cook, eat, sleep, lather, rinse, wake up the next day and repeat. I feel like my life is at a standstill and I'm wasting time.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 15 2013 at 12:06am
They happen a lot. People motivate me in different ways.

The latest one was something as simple as going to work. I have a temporary large office so patients and providers mistake me for a therapist and I have to tell them 'not yet'. It motivates me to get school done so I can get licensed and start doing the things I want to do.

Print Page | Close Window