Print Page | Close Window

Are You Living in the Wrong State?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=365578
Printed Date: Oct 17 2017 at 6:12pm

Topic: Are You Living in the Wrong State?
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Are You Living in the Wrong State?
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 9:18pm
take the http://science.time.com/2013/10/22/the-united-states-of-attitude-an-interactive-guide-to-americas-moods/" rel="nofollow - test

America’s Mood Map: An Interactive Guide to the United States of Attitude

West Virginia is the most neurotic state, Utah is the most agreeable and the folks of Wisconsin are the country's most extroverted, a new study says. Take TIME's test to find out which state most suits you

By http://science.time.com/author/jkluger/" rel="nofollow - Jeffrey Kluger and Chris Wilson Oct. 22, 2013 http://science.time.com/2013/10/22/the-united-states-of-attitude-an-interactive-guide-to-americas-moods/#comments" rel="nofollow - - 816 Comments

For a country that features the word United so prominently in its name, the U.S. is a pretty fractious place. We splinter along fault lines of income, education, religion, race, hyphenated origin, age and politics. Then too there’s temperament. We’re coarse or courtly, traditionalist or rebel, amped up or laid-back. And it’s no secret that a lot of that seems to be determined by — or at least associated with — where we live.

Now a multinational team of researchers led by psychologist and American expat Jason Rentfrow of the University of Cambridge in the U.K. has sought to draw the regional lines more clearly, literally mapping the American mood, with state-by-state ratings of personality and temperament.

Which State Matches Your Personality?

Using personality test data from over one million people, researchers have identified three distinct personality regions in the country. Here, each state is colored by the region it belongs to and shaded according to how strongly its personality matches that profile.

Want to know where you belong on this map? Click "Take the Test" and answer the 10-question survey to see which state most closely matches your personality. Results are not recorded or reported to any third party.

http://science.time.com/2013/10/22/the-united-states-of-attitude-an-interactive-guide-to-americas-moods/" rel="nofollow">

According to the study, the winners (or losers, depending on how you view these things) were in some cases surprising and in some not at all. The top scorers on extroversion were the ebullient folks of http://topics.time.com/wisconsin/" rel="nofollow - Wisconsin (picture the fans at a Packers game — even a losing Packers game). The lowest score went to the temperamentally snowbound folks of http://topics.time.com/vermont/" rel="nofollow - Vermont . http://topics.time.com/utah/" rel="nofollow - Utah is the most agreeable place in the country and Washington, D.C., is the least (gridlock, anyone?).

For conscientiousness, South Carolina takes the finishing-their-homework-on-time prize, while the independent-minded Yanks of Maine — who prefer to do things their own way and in their own time, thank you very much — come in last. West Virginia is the dark-horse winner as the country’s most neurotic state (maybe it was the divorce from Virginia in 1863). The least neurotic? Utah wins again. Washington, D.C., takes the prize for the most open place — even if their low agreeableness score means they have no idea what to do with all of the ideas they tolerate. North Dakotans, meantime, prefer things predictable and familiar, finishing last on openness.

The study, published in the http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/psp/" rel="nofollow - Journal of Personality and Social Psychology , was an exhaustive one, spanning 13 years and including nearly 1.6 million survey respondents from the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia. (Alaska and Hawaii were excluded because not enough people responded to the researchers’ questionnaires.) The subjects, recruited via websites and other means of advertising throughout the academic community as well as through less rarefied platforms like Facebook, were asked to take one of three different personality surveys, though the most relevant one was what’s known as the Big Five Inventory. (Take the full test http://www.outofservice.com/bigfive/" rel="nofollow - here .) As its name implies, the survey measures personality along five different spectra, with the Openness, Conscientiousness, Extroversion, Agreeableness and Neuroticism labels forming a handy acronym: OCEAN.

Each of those categories is defined by more-specific personality descriptors, such as curiosity and a preference for novelty (openness); self-discipline and dependability (conscientiousness); sociability and gregariousness (extroversion); compassion and cooperativeness (agreeableness); and anxiety and anger (neuroticism). The inventory gets at the precise mix of those qualities in any one person by asking subjects to respond on a 1-to-5 scale, from strongly disagree to strongly agree, with 44 statements including, “I see myself as someone who can be tense,” or “can be reserved,” or “has an active imagination,” or “is talkative.” There turned out to be a whole lot of Americans willing to sit still for that kind of in-depth prying, from a low of 3,166 in Wyoming (a huge sample group for a small state) to a high of 177,085 in California.

When the returns were tallied, the country broke down into three macro regions: New England and the Mid-Atlantic states, which the researchers termed “temperamental and uninhibited”; the South and Midwest, which were labeled “friendly and conventional”; and the West Coast, Rocky Mountains and Sun Belt, described as “relaxed and creative.” How they earned these labels was evident from the regions’ Big Five scores, with the temperamental and uninhibited states, for example, blowing the doors off the rest of the country on the neuroticism scale and the relaxed and creative ones similarly leading on openness.

There is no shortage of historical and geographical explanations for why the regions break down the way they do, but migration is the biggest piece of the puzzle. Pioneers who moved West were, by definition, people with open, curious, flexible temperaments, traits that become part of the settled regions’ DNA and were passed down through the generations. The researchers found a creative way to confirm this theory, comparing the date the 48 surveyed states became part of the union with their relaxed and creative profile. The result: the later a state joined, the higher its score turned out to be. That very openness and wanderlust stays with the native-born residents of these regions, often impelling them to keep right on moving.

“People who score high on these measures also have a high likelihood of migrating and settling into cosmopolitan areas,” says Rentfrow. Regions that score lower on openness and higher on the friendly and conventional scale, by contrast, have the lowest rates of emigration. “If you’re traditional and friendly and value family life, what’s the point of moving away?” Rentfrow asks.

An American by birth but a resident of the U.K., Rentfrow has an innate familiarity with America’s regional differences, but also a certain distance from the white-hot way they’ve grown worse of late. For all the fretting we do over such factionalism, he’s not sure things are as bad as they seem.

“Political values may exaggerate the temperamental differences and a sense of tribalism may emerge,” he concedes, “but these things all come from a mix of common personality types. The Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic may be very different from the Rockies and the West, for example, but openness is a big part of both personality profiles.”

That simple idea might be the best message we can take from the study. We’re less a nation of warring tribes and angry camps than we are a loud, boisterous, messy mix of geography, social history and the unpredictable X factors of human personality, all trying to make a go of things under the same national flag. In other words, we’re exactly what the Founding Fathers intended us to be.

Read more: http://science.time.com/2013/10/22/the-united-states-of-attitude-an-interactive-guide-to-americas-moods/#ixzz2isv8vZfo" rel="nofollow - http://science.time.com/2013/10/22/the-united-states-of-attitude-an-interactive-guide-to-americas-moods/#ixzz2isv8vZfo

Replies:
Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 9:28pm
according to the test i belong in nevada.

Ermm from one hot place to another.

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 9:46pm
I belong in Montana

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 9:49pm
they want to send me to new jersey Stern Smile

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 9:52pm
Sounds like im in the right state

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 9:57pm
I should be in Utah? I'm Black and not a mormon or religious.

Naw.LOL

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 9:57pm
I'm tired of Cali, I want to live in Geogia and be a Housewife of Atlanta.

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 9:58pm
naw son that test was od.  i'll say I can fit anywhere

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 9:59pm
Oregon? WTF??

Where's Hawaii, because THAT'S where I belong......Ermm

Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 10:08pm
Wisconsin? Extroverts like people right? Ion like people

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 10:55pm
i'm not taking that long azz test LOL

Posted By: Chantal34
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 11:20pm
I belong in Oregon. I can see it I guess. I've always loved the West coast.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 12:05am
coloradoShockedBig smile

Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 12:13am
Modeless, lets switch and you get Utah. Colorado is liberal as heck and I can partake in um, legal herbal activities.LOL

Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 12:18am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Modeless, lets switch and you get Utah. Colorado is liberal as heck and I can partake in um, legal herbal activities.LOL
Utah??Stern Smile
hmmm...let me think....
me thinks no..Stern Smile

Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 12:19am
LOL

Posted By: Fcgriffin
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 9:28am
Vermont?  Hmmm

Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 9:32am

Posted By: Jess
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 9:34am
I got New Mexico. 
Hell no.

Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

i'm not taking that long azz test LOL

10 question?

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 9:36am
the one I clicked had like a hundred and then some write in parts

just saw the short version.. Cali here I come!!!!

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 10:52am
I dont believe in New Mexico, so no. I'll stay in Cali

Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 11:00am
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

Utah??Stern Smile
hmmm...let me think....
LOL

But um, it's got nice hiking and...stuff.

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 11:02am
it said New Mexico for me...no thanks

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 11:40am
I belong in new mexico.

I just googled pics of new mexico.

No bueno

Posted By: Cocoa
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 11:45am
Utah?

Posted By: Starrygurl
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 11:54am
Colorado?!Sleepy Hell no, never been anywhere cold. Looks nice, but no.

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

I love Oregon

Posted By: candyrainz_409
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 12:04pm
West Virginia

Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

I dont believe in New Mexico, so no. I'll stay in Cali

that almost requires explanationLOL

Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 12:57pm

Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

Utah??Stern Smile
hmmm...let me think....
LOL

But um, it's got nice hiking and...stuff.

Stern Smile

Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 12:58pm
lolol at everybody getting moved to new mexico

LOLfunny stuff

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Az~Maverick Az~Maverick wrote:

Oregon? WTF??

Where's Hawaii, because THAT'S where I belong......Ermm
RightLOL

Posted By: stardaqueenb23
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 1:38pm
According to them I should be in Jersey so I am close enough.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 3:31pm
I got New Mexico...i hate quiet, slow places.

Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 3:37pm
Heart New Mexico and the 5 black folk that live there.

I am willing to trade Utah. Whatdya say?

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 3:45pm
LOL i'll just appreciate the place the interwebiverse has given me.  you're on your own.

i'm very curious to know what the african american studies course is like at brigham young university.

Posted By: PeacefulOne
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 7:52pm
Georgia!?  Humid and too close to Florida, no thanks. 

And I lived in New Mexico and loved it!  All them NA's wanted to adopt me! Lol.

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 8:09pm
You belong in Colorado!

Ermm

Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 11:05pm
I belong in Oregon ....hmmmm kay

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 11:50pm
come on now.  y'all know these tests be for white folks.LOL

Date Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 12:00am
^If people didn't know, they knew when they read my Utah post.LOL

*Still waitin' on that switcheroo lol*

Posted By: beautiful-stranger
Date Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 7:26am
I got New Mexico wtf. lol

Posted By: Princess_S
Date Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 7:32am
You belong in New Mexico! 

No!

Posted By: smartgirl88
Date Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 9:03am
I don't even have to take this...I know I belong in cali

Posted By: .hott.pink.
Date Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 11:01am
I need to be in a blue state.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 11:32am
 Georgia !!!!!

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 12:15am
Wisconsin. Just ick and ew.

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 12:44am
yep.

♫Aaaaaand iiiiiiiiiif I, can make it hereeeee

I'll make it...

Anywhere...!♪

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Georgia !!!!!

come nah gk. we'll be together and fast friends.

think of all the summer picnics at tara and twelve oaks we'll attend. 

Date Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 12:55am
Originally posted by CLCNY20 CLCNY20 wrote:

yep.

I'll make it...

Anywhere...!♪
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-hmmmph

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 9:36am
I'm a NY Apple and they want me to be a Gaw-gea Peach.  I might could do that.

Date Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 9:44am
i dont think ive ever said the name Oregon more than a handful of times in my entire life.  when looked it up on the map i was like isnt that were i thought washington wasLOL i didnt even have proper placement smh

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 10:22am
You belong in North Carolina!

I'm a southern belle so I approve of this answer. Lived in Charlotte for a few years and I love the city- NC is my second home. 

Posted By: TXButterfly03
Date Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 11:26am
Too funny.....I ended up  in.......THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS!!Clap

Posted By: sweet_n_stuff04
Date Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 11:58am
I got Oregon. The only thing I know about that state is that there ain't black people Ermm. I'll stick to the south.

Posted By: Ds2nice
Date Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 12:07pm
Wow.  New Mexico?  I would have never guessed that one.

Are there any blk people there?

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 12:17pm
I got Missouri I don't even know whats out there.

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 2:34pm
Lol @ everybody who got New Mexico.  Wonder if there is really any blue meth thereLOL

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

You belong in Colorado!

Ermm

^^^^

I did not want to take this test... however, I got Colorado...

This is great...

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 7:10am
I got California. I'm cool with that.

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 8:21am
Georgia.  Funny because that's the only place I've ever been that felt like home on first visit.  I purposely missed my plane home too lol

Date Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 3:14pm

yep.

I'll make it...

Anywhere...!♫
why you typing the lyrics to new york, new york when you got west virginia though? Confused

more like:

♫ Country roads, take me home 
To the place I belong 
West Virginia, Mountain Mama 
Take me home, country roads

LOLLOLLOL

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

yep.

I'll make it...

Anywhere...!♫
why you typing the lyrics to new york, new york when you got west virginia though? Confused

more like:

♫ Country roads, take me home 
To the place I belong 
West Virginia, Mountain Mama 
Take me home, country roads

LOLLOLLOL

Uh, no no--the REAL question is why you're such a tattletale d*ckbump? Stern Smile

Date Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 4:29pm

Uh, no no--the REAL question is why you're such a tattletale d*ckbump? Stern Smile
oh my. whatever do you mean?

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 5:22pm
I got Georgia.

I've been to Georgia several times. It's a lot like here.

I don't think I'd want to live that close to Florida though.

Posted By: Meme0887
Date Posted: Oct 30 2013 at 5:31pm
Lol New Mexico...interesting

Print Page | Close Window