Print Page | Close Window

Brett Favre Says He Has Memory Loss

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=365554
Printed Date: Dec 11 2017 at 2:04pm

Topic: Brett Favre Says He Has Memory Loss
Posted By: PurplePhase
Subject: Brett Favre Says He Has Memory Loss
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 6:12pm
repost??

this is really terrifying..

Does anyone think that in the future (200-300 years) humans will look back on this sport as barbaric?

Brett Favre Is Latest Ex-NFL Player to Say He Has Memory Loss

Oct. 25, 2013

PHOTO: Brett Favre talks at a post game press conference after a 13-20 loss to the Detroit Lions at Ford Field, Jan. 2, 2011 in Detroit, Michigan.

Brett Favre has become the latest former National Football League player to reveal he is suffering memory problems after spending 20 years on the playing field.

On http://espn.go.com/espnradio/" rel="nofollow - ESPN Radio the former star quarterback said that he had become worried about the state of his memory in recent years.

"I think after 20 years God only knows the toll," said Favre, who was sacked 525 times, more than any other NFL quarterback. "This was a little shocking to me, that I couldn't remember my daughter playing youth soccer."

New research about the effect of repeated head injuries on pro-football players has only recently revealed how devastating the longterm toll can be. As a result, the NFL has come under fire for putting players in unsafe conditions.

Of the 34 former NFL players who have died and donated their brains to research, the percentage of them who have pathologically confirmed chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative brain disease, is over 90 percent, according to a 2009 University of Michigan report.

In August the league paid $765 million to players and their families who sued the league over head injuries that they blamed on their time playing pro football.

There is no data on how many hits it takes to bring on symptoms of CTE, but experts caution no head injury is safe.

"There is still a pervasive belief that only a concussion serious enough to knock the athlete out will do damage, but that's not the case," Harvard neurologist, Dr. Marie Pasinski. "Any blow to the head that leaves a person slightly dazed or not quite right may cause harm to the brain."

There's no proof that Favre is suffering from CTE, which can only be diagnosed after death.

However, patients with CTE display symptoms "such as impulsivity, forgetfulness, depression, [and] sometimes suicidal ideation," according to Dr. Russell Lonser, chairman of the Department of Neurological Surgery at Ohio State University.

Favre's admission about his memory came http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/fisher-discuss-favre-rumors-20675850" rel="nofollow - just days after the St. Louis Rams called the retired quarterback to see if would return to the field and play for the team. Favre, 44, retired from the sport in 2010.

"I want to live a long time, I want to live healthy, as close to normal life as I can," said Favre.

Replies:
Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 6:13pm
It's looked at as barbaric now and the ppl who participate love it.
Football players and boxers are the last gladiators.

Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 6:16pm
Interesting, on tv they said that a lot of the signals were being picked up by wives when the guy doesn't remember things. I bet those wives get mad at the husband saying they don't remember all the time, and might not even believe them at first . Since a lot of women complain about husbands not forgetting things.

Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

It's looked at as barbaric now and the ppl who participate love it.
Football players and boxers are the last gladiators.

it is by me but I didn't think I was in the majority. I thought I was just futuristic LOL

Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 6:18pm
I already think its barbaric and I pray I never have a son interested in the sport.  I will sign him up for golf instead.

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 6:21pm
php

Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

One day, we will accept that human beings are not rams, that big grown ass men running full steam and butting heads with each other is not healthy, and that helmets are not adequate protection against brain damage.

One.damn.day.  Pinch

One of these damn days. Pinch

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 6:22pm
Sucks for him but he's been more than compensated so I'm sure he'll be able to afford great doctors to keep him healthy.

There's a reason underwater welders, oil rig workers, nfl players, nuclear reactor workers, etc. get paid well.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 6:31pm
I almost cried when he gave a interview about forgetting his daughter name . My husband is working on a new design for head gear . Football has turn more dangerous due to greed and bad calls in my op. Many play dirty today .

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 6:36pm
no sh*t.

(i learned this off law and order svu Approve)

Posted By: thickblkbarbie
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 6:54pm
Wow head injuries are serious..my son played high school football for 3 years and I never liked.. Now he is in his first year in college ,and he says he don't plan on playing football in college!! I am like ya!!!

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 6:56pm
i dont know who thought knocking your asses into each other over a ball was a good idea. especially when they realized they needed a helmut helmet

fck i cant spell when i drink. i'm thinking of Helmut Lang

Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

I almost cried when he gave a interview about forgetting his daughter name . My husband is working on a new design for head gear . Football has turn more dangerous due to greed and bad calls in my op. Many play dirty today .
No disrespect India...but it is actually much better now. Football was waaay more barbaric and a lot less rules. In addition to the gear being far more advanced.

I do agree however, that the contact in itself is extremely dangerous. Your body simply isn't made to withstand a weekly car accident.

Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 7:24pm
yeah jewels , they've come a long way.

maybe in the future, football will be played by robots for human amusement lol

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 7:25pm
Omg he did?!!?! ShockedBroken Heart

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

No disrespect India...but it is actually much better now. Football was waaay more barbaric and a lot less rules. In addition to the gear being far more advanced.

I do agree however, that the contact in itself is extremely dangerous. Your body simply isn't made to withstand a weekly car accident.

I agree . The cowboys use to be my team . My brother coach HS Football . I think people in the old days love the game . Now many seem to love the fame and money more at any cost . 

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

I agree but do think head hunting has become more popular in the last 10-15 years or so.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 7:32pm
It's safer now b.
IA with Jewels b

But the athletes are more freakish.

Athletes are amazing to me

Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 7:35pm
yeah probably RT. I love watching ESPN short stories (sport docs period) and I can't remember which one in particular...but there was older players talking about how brutal the sport was back in the days...when they'd have a pile up on the guy who had the ball, they'd do all sorts of things to the person, like spit in their mouth, gouge at their eyes, step in their groin etc...just sick...

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

no sh*t.

(i learned this off law and order svu Approve)
the treat willams epi?

and bless his heart, i always adored brett. 

while i love football, those sacks/hits are no joke. 

some of them make me cringe.

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 7:58pm
My husband played semi pro for 8 years and is now coaching our sons in flag football.  They are 8 and 6.  The 8-year-old can play tackle next year and can't wait.  I have been against football for a LONG time but it's a losing battle with a hubby who played and boys who idolize their father.  

I've been meaning to watch this documentary on PBS called A League of Denial  http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/" rel="nofollow - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/

Even though I feel it's hopeless I never miss an opportunity to tell my husband and sons how dangerous football is.   

Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 8:02pm
When I see a good hit I automatically say "he dead" maybe not today but soon. I actually wish the hits could be like they used to be for my entertainment. In my defense I made my son try out for football when he was in the 8th grade because he kept saying it wasn't for him. He finished out the week, I asked what he think and he said it's not for me.

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 10:31am
i can believe it.

i hope he donates his brain to science.

and yes, it may be barbaric, but I doubt the sport is going away.

Print Page | Close Window