Print Page | Close Window

Is that a weave???

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Hair Care
Forum Name: Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
Forum Description: Discussions on Weaves / Extensions (for Newbies)
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=365514
Printed Date: Jan 22 2018 at 9:09am


Topic: Is that a weave???
Posted By: tabbikay
Subject: Is that a weave???
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 12:54am
Yesterday a white guy at work leaned into me as a black woman walked in and whispered, "Is that a weave?" I'm not quick with snappy comebacks so I just said yes. (It was a quick weave with some bss hair.)

Anyway, he got really excited and was all like, "I'm getting good at this!"

I wanted to kick him in the throat.

Another time I went to an event and there was a white guy running around trying to detect lace fronts. He would talk to girls and after they left, proclaim "Lace Front!"

I REALLY wanted to kick him the throat. Angry

I feel so self-conscious when I'm wearing a half wig or weaves, folks stay inspecting my hair and trying to see "what's new." 

I've had wigs fondled and faux buns squeezed (yes, they get grabby).



Replies:
Posted By: keelolo1
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 1:54am
where the hell do you live where white men are so fascinated with weaves. 


Posted By: tabbikay
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 2:03am
Originally posted by keelolo1 keelolo1 wrote:

where the hell do you live where white men are so fascinated with weaves. 

Lol Florida, land of f*ckery. 


Posted By: Aihtnyck
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 3:23am
Originally posted by tabbikay tabbikay wrote:



I've had wigs fondled and faux buns squeezed (yes, they get grabby).


REALLY ?! I'd have beaten the damn hell out of them Angry

People are so disrespectful. When they question I always say : what is happening up there is NONE of your business, if it's on my head then that's my hair.


Posted By: JaceDummy
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 9:44am
Originally posted by keelolo1 keelolo1 wrote:

where the hell do you live where white men are so fascinated with weaves. 




Posted By: KanDy994
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 11:08am
LOL Florida men are intrigued with weaves apparently! Weird? Hell yea


Posted By: mspepsie206
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 11:22am
I've been asked more times then I like to count. My answer depends on my mood. Some of my best:

Yes, why, you got a problem with that?
No. (followed by a long challenging stare)
Are those your teeth? Wanna keep them?
None of your business
Yes.
Is that your hair? I'm just saying

I almost beat a girl down in a bar a couple of weeks ago who was for some drunken reason determined to touch my hair. I warned her once. My girls pulled me away the second time she tried.



Posted By: KanDy994
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 3:02pm
Lmao Florida men and drunk girls love weave!


Posted By: keelolo1
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 9:09pm
I live in Florida and never had that problem. Where u live? Rosewood? Lol


Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 10:36pm
I would have to work on my blending or switch textures if ppl regularly asked if my install was a weave.


Posted By: Misjaguar
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 10:45pm
It is all becuase those white men are Subscribed to UNCLE TOM SOTOMAYOR


Posted By: tabbikay
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by keelolo1 keelolo1 wrote:

I live in Florida and never had that problem. Where u live? Rosewood? Lol

Tampa at the moment, but I kinda feel like it's my fault. I think I make people feel comfortable enough to ask the questions they wouldn't dare ask another black person. 

I've been asked: 
"What does nappy mean?"
"Does it bother you that I say ni**a?"
"Is it true Jesus was black?"

Most recently a white guy said to me, "Not to get all racial, but what do they do at black weddings? I'm attending one soon and I'm not sure what to expect."

Basically... I think I attract the crazies. 



Posted By: keelolo1
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by tabbikay tabbikay wrote:

Originally posted by keelolo1 keelolo1 wrote:

I live in Florida and never had that problem. Where u live? Rosewood? Lol

Tampa at the moment, but I kinda feel like it's my fault. I think I make people feel comfortable enough to ask the questions they wouldn't dare ask another black person. 

I've been asked: 
"What does nappy mean?"
"Does it bother you that I say ni**a?"
"Is it true Jesus was black?"

Most recently a white guy said to me, "Not to get all racial, but what do they do at black weddings? I'm attending one soon and I'm not sure what to expect."

Basically... I think I attract the crazies. 


I'm in Tampa too!! But that's weird. 


Posted By: tabbikay
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Cream1970 Cream1970 wrote:

I would have to work on my blending or switch textures if ppl regularly asked if my install was a weave.

They ask me if other people's hair is fake primarily, like it's a game or something. 

They know mine is fake because I wore my hair shaved for a year, and when I decided to grow it back started wearing half wigs and such. Can't really fool them if 1 day you have 3 inches of hair and the next day it's shoulder length. 

Since I change my hair so often (or used to, haven't done a wig/weave in months), the conversation is always what I'm doing to my hair. 




Posted By: tabbikay
Date Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 11:49pm

[/QUOTE]

I'm in Tampa too!! But that's weird. 
[/QUOTE]

I just got really excited about someone else being in Tampa. Lol  


Posted By: imfunsized
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 12:26am
If I were I act stupid back

Why do you white people age so badly?
Why do you all tan, do want to be black?
Why do you all smell like wet dogs all the time?

Lawd knows that's how I would respond, you are not the speaker for the negro race smh white ppl kill me with that wanna play confused and lost stuff. Shoot ask you white ancestors what nappy means since they made it up to demean our hair.


Posted By: tabbikay
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 3:40am
Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

If I were I act stupid back

Why do you white people age so badly?
Why do you all tan, do want to be black?
Why do you all smell like wet dogs all the time?

Lawd knows that's how I would respond, you are not the speaker for the negro race smh white ppl kill me with that wanna play confused and lost stuff. Shoot ask you white ancestors what nappy means since they made it up to demean our hair.

This. I actually took it to slavery and Willie Lynch once... things got real awkward and the subject was changed quickly. 

I may do this more often, normally I just try to politely answer their questions. 


Posted By: iluvmihair
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 5:40am
Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

If I were I act stupid back

Why do you white people age so badly?
Why do you all tan, do want to be black?
Why do you all smell like wet dogs all the time?

Lawd knows that's how I would respond, you are not the speaker for the negro race smh white ppl kill me with that wanna play confused and lost stuff. Shoot ask you white ancestors what nappy means since they made it up to demean our hair.




Posted By: juliagulia0909
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 6:24pm
my boyfriend is white and i kinda told him about the whole weave thing and whatnot. and unfortunately he too felt it ok to straight up talk about others hair. Before hand he and others would had never known that most black women were wearing weaves so now , yes, its kinda like a game and every girl they see they now know that more than likely shes wearing a weave and they feel special to know that they can tell the difference...to them its probably like asking someone if they are wearing makeup, its not the rudest question in the world just inappropriate. and I understand the whole black wedding thing. every culture has their own rituals and sometimes you want to know what to expect. Im african and I had no idea what jumping the broom was...on the flip side im sure some african americans would ask what to expect at an african wedding.


Posted By: femmemuscleisback
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 7:11pm
whelp! chris rock(head), didn't help matters very much by targeting AA women for wearing hair extensions.

I'm still observing the "back lash" from mostly uneducated/uncultured whites running up to black women and quite brashly investigating their heads. Rock(head) didn't have the balls to go into any upscale/low-scale white salons and ask about their hair.

Egyptians/Africans wore braid extensions, and the Europeans, Asians, and privileged white celebrities were the ones that started the advent of weaves/wigs. Their problems mostly stemmed from having "thin" non-textured, or "fine" hair.

But noo... Rockhead wouldn't go out of his comfort zone and interview or weave-check Britney, The Queen of England, Paris Hilton, Pamela Lee, Raquel Welsh, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Jessica Simpson, etc. He was probably afraid they wouldn't let him get near them.

He even went as far as making cracks about the First Lady (Michelle Obama), and weave-checking Oprah on national television.

Thanks to Chris(Rockhead's) Plagiarized movie (yes, he stole the from someone else), and his boldness within the black community, he made it okay to walk up to AA's and ask inappropriate questions in public.

And of course, the unsophisticated white folks feel as though they have the same privilege.

Monkey see, Monkey do..


Posted By: femmemuscleisback
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 7:16pm
ahhh snap..

I just looked up and noticed i'm an ELITE member..

.... and nothing unusual has happened ... so far..



Posted By: tabbikay
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by juliagulia0909 juliagulia0909 wrote:

my boyfriend is white and i kinda told him about the whole weave thing and whatnot. and unfortunately he too felt it ok to straight up talk about others hair.
This was the case with the guy spying for lace fronts, apparently a black male coworker told him "all black girls were lace fronts" and here we are.

Before hand he and others would had never known that most black women were wearing weaves so now , yes, its kinda like a game and every girl they see they now know that more than likely shes wearing a weave and they feel special to know that they can tell the difference...to them its probably like asking someone if they are wearing makeup, its not the rudest question in the world just inappropriate.
It's a little... inaccurate to think (and tell others) that more than likely every [black] girl is wearing weave. Where I work we have 14 WOC, only 4 of us wear weaves/wigs off and on.

and I understand the whole black wedding thing. every culture has their own rituals and sometimes you want to know what to expect. Im african and I had no idea what jumping the broom was...on the flip side im sure some african americans would ask what to expect at an african wedding.

Yeah... I have to tell you, we all don't "jump the broom." I got married in may, my sister got married in February, two friends of mine got married last October and NONE us jumped the broom. I didn't even know it was supposed to be a "black thing." I thought it was a silly questions because as an African Americans, we all follow the standard wedding script with variation depending on COUPLE. It's not like he got transported to a different country (or The Continent). 


Posted By: tabbikay
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by femmemuscleisback femmemuscleisback wrote:

whelp! chris rock(head), didn't help matters very much by targeting AA women for wearing hair extensions.

I'm still observing the "back lash" from mostly uneducated/uncultured whites running up to black women and quite brashly investigating their heads. Rock(head) didn't have the balls to go into any upscale/low-scale white salons and ask about their hair.

Egyptians/Africans wore braid extensions, and the Europeans, Asians, and privileged white celebrities were the ones that started the advent of weaves/wigs. Their problems mostly stemmed from having "thin" non-textured, or "fine" hair.

But noo... Rockhead wouldn't go out of his comfort zone and interview or weave-check Britney, The Queen of England, Paris Hilton, Pamela Lee, Raquel Welsh, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Jessica Simpson, etc. He was probably afraid they wouldn't let him get near them.

He even went as far as making cracks about the First Lady (Michelle Obama), and weave-checking Oprah on national television.

Thanks to Chris(Rockhead's) Plagiarized movie (yes, he stole the from someone else), and his boldness within the black community, he made it okay to walk up to AA's and ask inappropriate questions in public.

And of course, the unsophisticated white folks feel as though they have the same privilege.

Monkey see, Monkey do..

ClapClapClap

Thanked!


Posted By: keelolo1
Date Posted: Oct 26 2013 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by tabbikay tabbikay wrote:




I'm in Tampa too!! But that's weird. 
[/QUOTE]

I just got really excited about someone else being in Tampa. Lol  
[/QUOTE]

Lol I don't know why.


Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 3:04am
Umm I don't think the OP is being honest really.
 
The reason that White guy (who is odd IMO!) is checking out Black women's hair .. is because it probably looks so unlike a regular Black persons head of hair.
 
I have been saying this for years. If the weave/wig is lonnnng, thick, healthy looking ... like Tamar Braxon or the whole clan ... you would have to suspend disbelief .. to believe their hair ... looks natural. This is because most/all White people know that Black people have kinky hair (though some people have curly hair) - right?
 
I mean how can it be that 98% of Black MEN are walking around with kinky (maybe short wavy) hair and (not 98%) but a lot of Black women are walking around with 'straight' hair? People are not stupid White people! Now that is funny.
 
So it becomes clear that Black women are changing the texture of their hair. Maybe we can say 'it's hard to manage our kinky hair or we just want a new look but mainly the White people that I know think Black people just want to have the same kind of hair as White people. In fact a lot of Black people DO want the same hair as White people. What is the point of ignoring the obvious???
 
Don't get mad at Chris Rock for ... telling the TRUTH. I don't believe in keeping secrets ... just looks more and more like you sre ashamed. Confused
 
As far as White people. or other groups wearing weaves/extensions etc .. well, it's not the 'same thing' and Black people wearing this hair. They are wearing hair that looks EXACTLY like their real hair .. its just longer/thicker. So they are not changing their hair texture completely in an effort to look like another group.
 
I think that is the BIG disconnect in the Black community in terms of the weaves/wigs. The fact that when most Black women wear a weave etc .. it looks lonnng and completely unlike their real hair texture and when White people wear units it looks lonng but it looks exactly like their real hair. So ... it is believble.
 
Hey, I wear a Lace Wig myself! I love them! I tried different textures with varying degrees of satisfaction .. but they were no longer than 14 inches so I never got a lot of attention from the haters or suspected as false. Now I am in the Afro/curly units and wowwwww the hair looks A LOT like my natural hair so nobody thinks anything other than  'Hey, I love your afro!".Wink
 
Now if White women suddenly decided afro hairstyles were kool and every other White girl had her natural hair permed into an afro or started wear afro weaves/wigs ... they would be getting weave checked right and left too. Hee hee! Why? Because it would be unbelieveable.
 
I am not saying everyone has gotta wear an afro textured head of hair. It's a free country and it's your money so you can wear whatever you want!
 
At the same time though .. you have to 'own' the hair that you are wearing and not get upset if people think that it's false. If the 'look' is too far away from what a head of hair looks like on a Black man or a lot of other Black woman or if the look is 'fantastic' etc.. it wil be suspected as being false.
 
No, ALL Black women do not wear weaves/wigs but if you line up 100 random Black women and 100 random White women .. the highest number of weave/wig wearers .. are gonna be the Black women.
Period. Confused Let's get real. (I don't care anything about celibs - I am talking about real women)
 
Again, don't get mad and flip out on me for telling you something that everyone else knows about the Black community and 'hair'.
 


Posted By: keelolo1
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 8:14am
Wow its that deep huh? And I've seen plenty of white women with that synthetic plastic platinum blonde barbie doll hair.


Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 9:28am
Yes, of course it is that deep .. if you are Black.
Besides, everything we do does not have to evaluated ...  juxtaposed to White people either.  That seems like the defense for .. everything.
When most people see plastic platium doll hair - first: they get made fun of too and second, apart from the color, to must people (Black or White) it looks exactly like the wigs/weaves that Black women wear anyway. Everyone does have such  critical eye quality of hair.  So they are both the butt of jokes.
Again, if you gather 100 random Black women and 100 random White women .. you will certainly see more fake hair .... on the Black women.
Gosh, I hope we are not going back to Egypt again .. where everything people don't wanna hear .. has to take that slow boat down 'De Nile' again. Shocked What's the point of deluding ourselves. Geesh .. that trip gets old after a while. Especially when nobody else is taking that trip.


Posted By: imfunsized
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 11:34am
I get your point, but you kinda missed out on something important... Why do most black women wear weaves that are straight and silky and others mostly wear hair to match their own?? Because a lot of us have been brainwashed to think out natural hair was ugly or bad, or that it honestly cannot grow ( which annoys the living hell out of me). But you can't ignore that, I honestly don't care what white people think about black people's hair or what they know about it. Shot we know most of them are not brown skin or orange, but pale! Do black people walk up to them " omg is that your real skin color??" Omg do you hate yourself because your tanning? Are you like trying to be black because you want brown skin like me? It's the same thing!! Most of them already know of the woman they are about to ask is wearing a weave, they just want to be cute and or embarrass the black woman doing it. I've seen it before!! It's not about knowing of our hair naturally kinky or curly, you have some who really just want to make fun or humiliate the black woman wearing it. I'm not about to sit hear and cape for them, they ask black women/people all types of stupid and rude questions, and most of the time it is not coming from a good place.

Chris rocks's movie was one sided, it never showed black women who wore weave to match their real hair, wether relaxed or natural texture. And there are a lot of us out there, your probably can't tell because the hair looks so similar to their own. Not all us like that silky, extra long hair and so what if she does. We don't owe and explanation to anyone. Like you said it's a free country ( supposedly).
Excuse the typos I'm on my phone


Posted By: JaceDummy
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 12:11pm
Why do most black women wear weaves that are straight and silky and others mostly wear hair to match their own?? Because a lot of us have been brainwashed to think out natural hair was ugly or bad

This is the answer, I'm convinced. Let's throw out those plastic doll hair dolls and put natural hair dolls in our girls' hands. And lets make MORE dolls like this so that it becomes the norm. The reason we are brainwashed is bc we played will Cornsilk Cabbage Patch Dolls, Barbie or yarn hair. Lets change this!

http://www.naturalgirlsunited.com/natural-hair-dolls.html




Posted By: TOUSHA11
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 1:27pm
I am so sick of people thinking just because you wear straight hair you are brain washed. I do not give a Damn what anyone says it is my head I wear whatever the Hell I want to when I want too it is just Hair.The beauty of being a women is that we do not have to stick to the same thing day in and day out we have makeup,push up bra's,fake eyelashes, fake hair, etc  to enhance what we look like. I love being a women I am not going let nobody tell me because I do not wear my real hair that I do not love myself that is the stupidest thing I ever heard. So because some body wear's their natural hair but they 300 lbs they love themselves more I do not think so. That is just an example I am just saying that there are more important things to worry about besides the hair that is on my head.< ="text/" id="_tmpl">


Posted By: dorislesure
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 2:01pm
ok how comfortable do u let them get  just for them to disrespect you. some things should not come out of some peoples mouth.. them them to goggle it..is this the same person asking all the black questions??????????????????


Posted By: imfunsized
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by dorislesure dorislesure wrote:

ok how comfortable do u let them get  just for them to disrespect you. some things should not come out of some peoples mouth.. them them to goggle it..is this the same person asking all the black questions??????????????????


That's what I was thinking when I was reading the op's post.


Posted By: imfunsized
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by TOUSHA11 TOUSHA11 wrote:


I am so sick of people thinking just because you wear straight hair you are brain washed. I do not give a Damn what anyone says it is my head I wear whatever the Hell I want to when I want too it is just Hair.The beauty of being a women is that we do not have to stick to the same thing day in and day out we have makeup,push up bra's,fake eyelashes, fake hair, etc  to enhance what we look like. I love being a women I am not going let nobody tell me because I do not wear my real hair that I do not love myself that is the stupidest thing I ever heard. So because some body wear's their natural hair but they 300 lbs they love themselves more I do not think so. That is just an example I am just saying that there are more important things to worry about besides the hair that is on my head.< ="text/" id="_tmpl"><div id="<%= Id %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= Left %>; top: <%= Top %>; width: <%= Width %>; height: <%= Height %>">


I'm certainly not saying all black women are brainwashed into hating themselves or their natural hair. I'm saying that we have been conditioned to think of straight hair as the most beautiful hair to have. Therefore that's why many choose to wear them. It's the truth. And not all natural love their hair more simply because they are natural, you will have those who wish it was looser curled because we have also been conditioned to believe that is prettier. This is not all black people but unfortunately a lot of us believe it. I agree as well, wear your hair how you choose. As black women we have so a many options and we honestly should not have to explain that anyone. But when ignorant fool come with stupid questions, we catch ourselves in situations when we have to explain why we do the things we do. It's really ridiculous.


Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 7:00pm
Some black men are willing participants in this bullshyt, though. Not trying to put all the blame on them because it's not. But about a month ago, I had a curly weave in for about 2 weeks (It looked good but I decided to take it out because of my edges) and I was walking down a busy street downtown. There were 3 dudes hanging out at a corner, 2 black, one white. The 2 black guys were there trying to pick up white women, some of which were dumb enough to actually stop and talk to them when they got cat-called. So I'm on the sidewalk walking and I hear the white guy tell one of the black guys that I looked good. Do you know that the first thing this coon did was reply that I had a weave on my head and go on and keep cat-calling the white chicks passing by? Meanwhile, I'm feeling the white guy staring at the top of my head, all disoriented as I pass him by. I don't know why he felt the need to bring me down while chasing them Beckys on the corner...  And I do blame Chris Rock for putting our business in the street like that. I remember when he was joking with those Brits about Michelle Obama's hair. I don't care that you are a comedian, he had no business doing that.


Posted By: tabbikay
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Umm I don't think the OP is being honest really.
 
I made a post talking about two incidences I experienced recently, and now we're discussing why things like this happen. Where's the lie?

The reason that White guy (who is odd IMO!) is checking out Black women's hair .. is because it probably looks so unlike a regular Black persons head of hair.

It was a quick weave with bss hair as I already stated (a bob to be exact, color 1). Just a plain style IMO, but obviously not hers if you know hair.
 
I have been saying this for years. If the weave/wig is lonnnng, thick, healthy looking ... like Tamar Braxon or the whole clan ... you would have to suspend disbelief .. to believe their hair ... looks natural. This is because most/all White people know that Black people have kinky hair (though some people have curly hair) - right?

See above response. 

I mean how can it be that 98% of Black MEN are walking around with kinky (maybe short wavy) hair and (not 98%) but a lot of Black women are walking around with 'straight' hair? People are not stupid White people! Now that is funny.

Straight hair is not synonymous with fake hair. 
 
So it becomes clear that Black women are changing the texture of their hair. Maybe we can say 'it's hard to manage our kinky hair or we just want a new look but mainly the White people that I know think Black people just want to have the same kind of hair as White people. In fact a lot of Black people DO want the same hair as White people. What is the point of ignoring the obvious???

I have natural hair. I wear my natural hair. I still get asked, "is that your hair." Nobody is ignoring that folks wear wigs, weaves, and get relaxers. The point is, it's f*cking rude to go around tugging buns (done with marley hair in case you were wondering) and making a game out of the way people choose to wear the hair.
 
Don't get mad at Chris Rock for ... telling the TRUTH. I don't believe in keeping secrets ... just looks more and more like you are ashamed. Confused
 
 
As far as White people. or other groups wearing weaves/extensions etc .. well, it's not the 'same thing' and Black people wearing this hair. They are wearing hair that looks EXACTLY like their real hair .. its just longer/thicker. So they are not changing their hair texture completely in an effort to look like another group.

I guess those comments are directed to the other poster who mention Chris Rock. Although I will say that I didn't like Good Hair, and neither did any of natural hair friends. We felt he made it seem as if black women thought natural hair was not option, which is not reality for ME or the people in MY life.
 
I think that is the BIG disconnect in the Black community in terms of the weaves/wigs. The fact that when most Black women wear a weave etc .. it looks lonnng and completely unlike their real hair texture and when White people wear units it looks lonng but it looks exactly like their real hair. So ... it is believble.
 
Hey, I wear a Lace Wig myself! I love them! I tried different textures with varying degrees of satisfaction .. but they were no longer than 14 inches so I never got a lot of attention from the haters or suspected as false. Now I am in the Afro/curly units and wowwwww the hair looks A LOT like my natural hair so nobody thinks anything other than  'Hey, I love your afro!".Wink

I too prefer enhancements that resemble my hair, but with me length was the "giveaway" because my hair had been kept shaved for a year, then I started wearing La Efra (little sis wig of La Jay). So STRANGERS wouldn't know, coworkers would.
 
Now if White women suddenly decided afro hairstyles were kool and every other White girl had her natural hair permed into an afro or started wear afro weaves/wigs ... they would be getting weave checked right and left too. Hee hee! Why? Because it would be unbelieveable.
 
I am not saying everyone has gotta wear an afro textured head of hair. It's a free country and it's your money so you can wear whatever you want!
 
At the same time though .. you have to 'own' the hair that you are wearing and not get upset if people think that it's false. If the 'look' is too far away from what a head of hair looks like on a Black man or a lot of other Black woman or if the look is 'fantastic' etc.. it wil be suspected as being false.
 
I don't know how upset you think I am over this... but I really just think it's a rude question. If I think someone's boobs are fake, I don't feel compelled to let them know. It's one thing to be curious about it, and another thing to try to make someone a spectacle. 

No, ALL Black women do not wear weaves/wigs but if you line up 100 random Black women and 100 random White women .. the highest number of weave/wig wearers .. are gonna be the Black women.
Period. Confused Let's get real. (I don't care anything about celibs - I am talking about real women)
 
Again, don't get mad and flip out on me for telling you something that everyone else knows about the Black community and 'hair'.

I really just want people to act like they have manners and be less inappropriate.
 


Posted By: imfunsized
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Some black men are willing participants in this bullshyt, though. Not trying to put all the blame on them because it's not. But about a month ago, I had a curly weave in for about 2 weeks (It looked good but I decided to take it out because of my edges) and I was walking down a busy street downtown. There were 3 dudes hanging out at a corner, 2 black, one white. The 2 black guys were there trying to pick up white women, some of which were dumb enough to actually stop and talk to them when they got cat-called. So I'm on the sidewalk walking and I hear the white guy tell one of the black guys that I looked good. Do you know that the first thing this coon did was reply that I had a weave on my head and go on and keep cat-calling the white chicks passing by? Meanwhile, I'm feeling the white guy staring at the top of my head, all disoriented as I pass him by. I don't know why he felt the need to bring me down while chasing them Beckys on the corner...  And I do blame Chris Rock for putting our business in the street like that. I remember when he was joking with those Brits about Michelle Obama's hair. I don't care that you are a comedian, he had no business doing that.


Smh black men and white people are the harshest critics of black women. That's why I don't entertain either group.


Posted By: tabbikay
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by dorislesure dorislesure wrote:

ok how comfortable do u let them get  just for them to disrespect you. some things should not come out of some peoples mouth.. them them to goggle it..is this the same person asking all the black questions??????????????????

Different people (cowokers, customers, friend of a friend). I think they ask me in particular because I'm generally a calm person and I don't make them feel uncomfortable about being curious. 




Posted By: juliagulia0909
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

  And I do blame Chris Rock for putting our business in the street like that. I remember when he was joking with those Brits about Michelle Obama's hair. I don't care that you are a comedian, he had no business doing that.


Smh black men and white people are the harshest critics of black women. That's why I don't entertain either group.

really though? "our business"??? i dont think its that big of a secret. yes a lot of people dont know but, enough people do it for it to already be "in the streets". Wendy Williams already has that taken care of. he was making a documentry about the legnths that black women will go to for "good hair" because it has been getting to the point natural "nappy" is uglier than smooth silky hair.


Posted By: juliagulia0909
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by tabbikay tabbikay wrote:

Originally posted by juliagulia0909 juliagulia0909 wrote:

my boyfriend is white and i kinda told him about the whole weave thing and whatnot. and unfortunately he too felt it ok to straight up talk about others hair.
This was the case with the guy spying for lace fronts, apparently a black male coworker told him "all black girls were lace fronts" and here we are.

Before hand he and others would had never known that most black women were wearing weaves so now , yes, its kinda like a game and every girl they see they now know that more than likely shes wearing a weave and they feel special to know that they can tell the difference...to them its probably like asking someone if they are wearing makeup, its not the rudest question in the world just inappropriate.
It's a little... inaccurate to think (and tell others) that more than likely every [black] girl is wearing weave. Where I work we have 14 WOC, only 4 of us wear weaves/wigs off and on. 

ok maybe "more than likely" isnt the correct term.. "alot" would maybe be better. me and my bf work at the same place and out of maybe 20 woc workers about 3 or 4 dont wear weaves. Obviously our situations arent indicative of the general public but you can imagine the surprise to learn that alot of your black coworkers have weaves.

and I understand the whole black wedding thing. every culture has their own rituals and sometimes you want to know what to expect. Im african and I had no idea what jumping the broom was...on the flip side im sure some african americans would ask what to expect at an african wedding.

Yeah... I have to tell you, we all don't "jump the broom." I got married in may, my sister got married in February, two friends of mine got married last October and NONE us jumped the broom. I didn't even know it was supposed to be a "black thing." I thought it was a silly questions because as an African Americans, we all follow the standard wedding script with variation depending on COUPLE. It's not like he got transported to a different country (or The Continent).
You know what to be honest this is news to me..why ? because I have never been to an African American Wedding and I dont have that many African American friends thats have gotten married. Each race has huge (sometimes subtle though) culture differences, even if you were born and raised in the same country. I cant blame that guy because im pretty much in the same boat. just innocent ignorance on our parts! If no one has ever told you, how would you know? 


Posted By: tabbikay
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by juliagulia0909 juliagulia0909 wrote:

Originally posted by imfunsized imfunsized wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

  And I do blame Chris Rock for putting our business in the street like that. I remember when he was joking with those Brits about Michelle Obama's hair. I don't care that you are a comedian, he had no business doing that.


Smh black men and white people are the harshest critics of black women. That's why I don't entertain either group.

really though? "our business"??? i dont think its that big of a secret. yes a lot of people dont know but, enough people do it for it to already be "in the streets". Wendy Williams already has that taken care of. he was making a documentry about the legnths that black women will go to for "good hair" because it has been getting to the point natural "nappy" is uglier than smooth silky hair.

I will say that while my natural friends and I did not like the movie, my ratchet ex-roomie who thinks that any shiny/plastic/barbie hair is better than hers, was slightly moved by the film (not moved enough to stop wearing that crap hair).

However, when it comes to BHM, most of us are not crazy and we like hair that actually looks like it might be growing out of our head. So people do not want to be associated with the likes of Wendy Williams, because that isn't what they look like when they go down the street, nor is it their aim. 

I would think people responding to a post in the weaves section of the forum would know that.


Posted By: juicifruit89
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 9:03pm
Hmm, my real hair is fairly long, with thick, healthy ends (and we all know those women who take great care of their hair and have AL or WL hair). But if I were to wear my flat-ironed hair out in public, I guess people "would have to suspend belief" that it could actually be my hair, since we allllll have short, kinky hair. Sad that it would be difficult to believe that many black women can have long, healthy appearing hair (especially since blacks as a whole are becoming more educated on proper hair care).
 
Relaxed, natural, pressed, locs, afros...people will always find fault with our hair (not professional, not realistic enough, etc.) so I wouldn't put too much stock in their numerous opinions.


Posted By: femmemuscleisback
Date Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:


Don't get mad at Chris Rock for ... telling the TRUTH. I don't believe in keeping secrets ... just looks more and more like you sre ashamed. Confused
 


Chris Rock did not "tell the TRUTH".. he only told a "HALF the TRUTH".. if you've traveled all over the world as i have?  You'll see that EVERY culture is obsessed with thick/healthy/luxurious hair.   When in their beauty shops, they request this openly.  If they can't have results quickly?   They will gladly wear their shiny extensions/whole wigs/lacefront wigs - just like everyone else.  There's no shame to their game.Confused

Chris failed to make the public aware of the Whole Picture, because he probably would not be welcome in another culture's shop - other than his own. I'm sure upscale whites, latinas, europeans, asians, etc., would have slammed the doors in his face - on camera, with no hesitation of the slightest.

Also, Someone had made a very salient point regarding why Straight hair is sold more than any other?  Because it's the cheapest.  This makes straight hair  a much more attractive option.  Makes sense.

Not all cultures are quick to cut off their hair as the Chinese and Eastern Indians.  Plus the cost and maintenance of textured/kinky hair is higher, much higher. 








Posted By: c0lormebad
Date Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 7:50pm

Yea, men can get really disrespectful with the weave stuff... after I told a man that it wasnt mine... he started referring to my hair as "it". Should we start lying?  Thats what a woman with a bad weave can do. Make it bad for women that wear weaves or wigs. My hair is really expensive. Even a female with long hair still wears weave...



Posted By: JaceDummy
Date Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 9:20pm
Hey! You know what I JUST realized!!!??? This is one of the FEW places we can go to discuss OUR STUFF amongst US, without White women trolls getting all up in our business. It's like a breath of fresh air. I'm enjoying reading everyone's perspectives.


Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by femmemuscleisback femmemuscleisback wrote:

Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:


Don't get mad at Chris Rock for ... telling the TRUTH. I don't believe in keeping secrets ... just looks more and more like you sre ashamed. Confused
 


Chris Rock did not "tell the TRUTH".. he only told a "HALF the TRUTH".. if you've traveled all over the world as i have?  You'll see that EVERY culture is obsessed with thick/healthy/luxurious hair.   When in their beauty shops, they request this openly.  If they can't have results quickly?   They will gladly wear their shiny extensions/whole wigs/lacefront wigs - just like everyone else.  There's no shame to their game.Confused

Chris failed to make the public aware of the Whole Picture, because he probably would not be welcome in another culture's shop - other than his own. I'm sure upscale whites, latinas, europeans, asians, etc., would have slammed the doors in his face - on camera, with no hesitation of the slightest.

Also, Someone had made a very salient point regarding why Straight hair is sold more than any other?  Because it's the cheapest.  This makes straight hair  a much more attractive option.  Makes sense.

Not all cultures are quick to cut off their hair as the Chinese and Eastern Indians.  Plus the cost and maintenance of textured/kinky hair is higher, much higher. 






 
 

 


Geesh lady, I have traveled all over the world - 48 countries so far and have lived in 3 countries. I now live The Netherlands. How about you?

 

Chris did tell the truth. Black folks, White folks .. every kind of folks sources hair from India (could be China too). Period – that was his point ands yes, Black folks are HUGH consumers of this hair.

 

If he went to upscale or any scale of White or other groups with his film crew .. they would have been fine with it. DUH!

 

The reason straight hair (Indian or Chinese) is sold ... is because it is so readily available with 1.3 billion Chinese and 1.2 billion Indian many/most of which are fairly poor so they will sell their hair as in India, they shave their hair for religious reasons. But the most important factor is that Chinese and Indian hair .. is extremely DURABLE.

 

So it can take the cleaning, dyeing and processing without crumbling away to nothing. Whereas Caucasian hair and of course our 4b/c (which is the most delicate hair in the world) could not survive such treatments. Look at all the permed heads around you that break off and get  thinner and thinner as we age.

 

This why you can't go to the BSS and order AA hair. Hey, maybe SOME shop carries (I can't know what every shop in the whole world carries) but typically when you order hair online or buy it in a BSS ... it will be Indian or Chinese hair for sure.

 

Yes, the shops can texturize it to wavy,curly, yaki ... whatever you like and some hair is naturally curly but that's the hair  business.

 

I don't see anything to be ashamed about. The movie was funny but the most

poignant point in the movie was when he asked the Indian vendor if he could order Kinky hair and he said noooo ... and they both agreed that nobody wants to order kinky hair. That was sad. Mainly because I love our hair.

 

So I wear afro/curly Lace front units every day and the cost and maint. is not much higher etc. Where did you hear that? It costs $10 extra to get my hair texturized from straight to afro/curly and I buy leave in conditioner (for curly hair) and Oil (for the ends) to maintain my afro.

 

But if I went back to the straight hair - I would have to buy a different set of products to maintain that hair - so maintenance is gonna costs no matter which texture you choose.



Posted By: femmemuscleisback
Date Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 2:24pm
Sleepy

hey Printer Ink.. would you please be so kind to Cliff Note your grandiose bull sh**t responses?






Posted By: femmemuscleisback
Date Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by JaceDummy JaceDummy wrote:

Hey! You know what I JUST realized!!!??? This is one of the FEW places we can go to discuss OUR STUFF amongst US, without White women trolls getting all up in our business. It's like a breath of fresh air. I'm enjoying reading everyone's perspectives.



oh, we have a troll alright.. LOL









Posted By: MassGal
Date Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Originally posted by femmemuscleisback femmemuscleisback wrote:

Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:


Don't get mad at Chris Rock for ... telling the TRUTH. I don't believe in keeping secrets ... just looks more and more like you sre ashamed. Confused
 


Chris Rock did not "tell the TRUTH".. he only told a "HALF the TRUTH".. if you've traveled all over the world as i have?  You'll see that EVERY culture is obsessed with thick/healthy/luxurious hair.   When in their beauty shops, they request this openly.  If they can't have results quickly?   They will gladly wear their shiny extensions/whole wigs/lacefront wigs - just like everyone else.  There's no shame to their game.Confused

Chris failed to make the public aware of the Whole Picture, because he probably would not be welcome in another culture's shop - other than his own. I'm sure upscale whites, latinas, europeans, asians, etc., would have slammed the doors in his face - on camera, with no hesitation of the slightest.

Also, Someone had made a very salient point regarding why Straight hair is sold more than any other?  Because it's the cheapest.  This makes straight hair  a much more attractive option.  Makes sense.

Not all cultures are quick to cut off their hair as the Chinese and Eastern Indians.  Plus the cost and maintenance of textured/kinky hair is higher, much higher. 






 

 

If he went to upscale or any scale of White or other groups with his film crew .. they would have been fine with it. DUH!

 


 

This why you can't go to the BSS and order AA hair. Hey, maybe SOME shop carries (I can't know what every shop in the whole world carries) but typically when you order hair online or buy it in a BSS ... it will be Indian or Chinese hair for sure.

 

 

I don't see anything to be ashamed about. The movie was funny but the most

poignant point in the movie was when he asked the Indian vendor if he could order Kinky hair and he said noooo ... and they both agreed that nobody wants to order kinky hair. That was sad. Mainly because I love our hair.

 




Blanket statements trouble me.    Not all women are forthcoming about their hair extensions no matter the race. Look no further than the celebrities out there who are  mum on their hair extensions, and there are many. Hair , like weight, is a sensitive subject for women --general apperance , beauty secrets are big deals for & to  women.

 I highly doubt upscale or " any scale White" salons would ALL be willing to let just anyone in, and definitely not allow  Rock's buffonnery. His very manner, separate and inlcusive of this, is to mock.

About the kinky hair:  just because " they ( Rock & the vendor) both agreed" that no one wants kinky hair then that makes it official?  That is just silly hence the demand for kinky-textured extensions.


Posted By: JaceDummy
Date Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 11:53am
I don't know where a lot of you live (the ones that say White ppl don't wear weaves). I live in L.A. and there are plenty of white girls with weaves here. And because the textures dont match, one would think that weave haters would talk about them. They talk about Black women because degrading us is accepted. And any Black person contributing to the disrespect of other Black people in mixed company, should be ashamed.

Ie: Jillian Barberie L.As top weathergirl/news anchor for more than 10 years



For the conspiracy theorists out there who read vigilant citizens' site, we know that in order to get money in hollywood, Blacks have to sell out their own. Thats the reason for the Good Hair movie and the Oprah interview. It's also the reason that Beyonce looks like a white girl and Jay Z is inking that deal with Barneys.


Posted By: imfunsized
Date Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 1:00pm
YASSSSSSSSSS preach all day!

Psssh it also the same reason Michael Jackson left this plant looking like a white woman. No way the greatest entertainer of all time could be a brown big nosed black man. C' mon.

Black men will sell it anyday, especially if that includes bashing black women. Me wearing a weave is just so horrible, but your precious white people frying themselves to death in tanning beds gets a pass.


Posted By: Malexandre
Date Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 1:47pm

I am only giving my opinion,

 

I enjoyed watching Chris Rock movie, I felt like it was accurate for the most part.

Black women are the number one consumer of weave, wig, and extension. It came to a point that it is more common to see a black woman with a weave, wig, extension on than w/o. White women wear extension/weave wig, yes, but the percentage of white women wearing “fake” hair is considerably lower.

We are the only race in the planet that wears other people hair more often than our own hair. {I am talking about percentage; please excuse my choice of words). So yes I understand why Chris Rock movie was targeting black women.

Black people have all kind of hair type and length but most of the time our real hair has nothing to do with the silky blond 20 inches hair that we have been wearing lately.  Unfortunately there s a lot more women out there with unrealistic install than there ‘s who are actually trying to make their  “ fake” hair look real.

 

 

I understand that we are women, we like to switch up our style, I understand the protective styling advantage of weave/wig/extension, however I understand why other races and men are questioning not only the amount of money we put into weave every year as well as why we are the only race wearing other people’s hair more than our own.

 

There’s no reason to be mad at Chris Rock. I know a lot of you would have loved for Chris to show the positive side, however, like a lot of women like to say: everybody is free to do as they wish and Chris Rock is free to use his money how he wishes.

We need to stop being mad every time somebody is not eating in the palm of our hand.  A lot of us refuse to listen, to hear critics, and learn from arguments. If it is not our way it is the highway, this is not the way to evolve in life.

Chris Brown wasn’t trying to “sell” us out. This is how people of other races and a lot of black men (if we were not constantly trying to emasculate them) see us, and our weave obsession. 



Posted By: JaceDummy
Date Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 2:33pm
^^^
He was trying to sell us out. Oprah wears indian hair but made sure she didnt have it in for that interview.

Please stop drinking the White is right Kool Aid. I dont know anyone with Becky blonde hair in their heads.

I respect your opinion; however, I think there's a deeper issue amongst Black men and women and it starts with our entertainment industry. Theres a bigger picture here...I just dont think you see it. It's bigger than someone not eating out of the palm of our hand. But as I've said, I believe in conspiracies.


Posted By: pebbles251
Date Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 5:51pm

 



Posted By: Malexandre
Date Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by JaceDummy JaceDummy wrote:

^^^
He was trying to sell us out. Oprah wears indian hair but made sure she didnt have it in for that interview.

Please stop drinking the White is right Kool Aid. I dont know anyone with Becky blonde hair in their heads.

I respect your opinion; however, I think there's a deeper issue amongst Black men and women and it starts with our entertainment industry. Theres a bigger picture here...I just dont think you see it. It's bigger than someone not eating out of the palm of our hand. But as I've said, I believe in conspiracies.

What do you mean by entertainment industry? I am definitely curious ...


Posted By: JaceDummy
Date Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 8:10pm
Hollywood. Music. TV. Movies. The entertainment industry.



Print Page | Close Window