Print Page | Close Window

France to Ban Child Beauty Pageants

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=364767
Printed Date: Dec 12 2017 at 1:43am

Topic: France to Ban Child Beauty Pageants
Posted By: tatee
Subject: France to Ban Child Beauty Pageants
Date Posted: Sep 29 2013 at 10:30am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0S0LZN62Kc" rel="nofollow -

-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0S0LZN62Kc" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0S0LZN62Kc

France moves to ban child beauty pageants

Chantal Jouanno leaves the Elysee Palace, March 2010 Ms Jouanno, seen here in 2010, served as a minister for sport under President Nicolas Sarkozy

Parliament in France has moved to ban child beauty pageants on the grounds that they promote the "hyper-sexualisation" of minors.

The Senate adopted the bill by 196 votes to 146 on Tuesday evening. It must now be passed by the National Assembly, before becoming law.

Organisers of such pageants may face a jail term of up to two years and a fine of 30,000 euros (£25,000; $40,000).

The measure was prompted by a row over a photo shoot in Vogue magazine.

The photos published in December 2010 showed a girl of 10 with two others, all three in heavy make-up and wearing tight dresses, high heels and expensive jewellery.

Vogue defended the pictures, saying they merely portrayed a common fantasy among young girls - to dress like their mother.

Parliament heard a report entitled Against Hyper-Sexualisation: A New Fight For Equality, which called for the ban on beauty competitions for the under-16s. It also recommended other measures, not included in the bill, including a ban on child-size adult clothing such as padded bras and high-heeled shoes.

"Let us not make our girls believe from a very young age that their worth is only judged by their appearance," said the author of the report, former Sports Minister Chantal Jouanno.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24145119

Replies:
Date Posted: Sep 29 2013 at 10:34am

What are the historical roots of these "American-style" child beauty pageants? Having studied these events for over a decade, first as an undergraduate and now as a professional sociologist, I can offer some insights. Somewhat ironically, the first event that would evolve into an "American style" child beauty pageant actually started in a Commonwealth country.

A British art critic and historian named John Ruskin got the idea to hold a springtime festival for young girls, honoring their girlish innocence (Ruskin was actually rumored to be a pedophile...). Ruskin called his events May Queen festivals, since one girl would be selected queen, the "likeablest and loveablest" of all the maidens. The first of these festivals was held in England in 1881 and they quickly spread to North America, where they found a strong reception in the United States.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hilary-levey/the-evolution-of-american_b_860261.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hilary-levey/the-evolution-of-american_b_860261.html

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Sep 29 2013 at 10:41am
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

What are the historical roots of these "American-style" child beauty pageants? Having studied these events for over a decade, first as an undergraduate and now as a professional sociologist, I can offer some insights. Somewhat ironically, the first event that would evolve into an "American style" child beauty pageant actually started in a Commonwealth country.

A British art critic and historian named John Ruskin got the idea to hold a springtime festival for young girls, honoring their girlish innocence (Ruskin was actually rumored to be a pedophile...). Ruskin called his events May Queen festivals, since one girl would be selected queen, the "likeablest and loveablest" of all the maidens. The first of these festivals was held in England in 1881 and they quickly spread to North America, where they found a strong reception in the United States.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hilary-levey/the-evolution-of-american_b_860261.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hilary-levey/the-evolution-of-american_b_860261.html

'Murrica Ermm

Well...at least France has some sense.

Posted By: Eden.
Date Posted: Sep 29 2013 at 10:42am
they still got that burqa ban talmbout i dont want to control a girls appearance?

k

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Sep 29 2013 at 11:00am
Good.

Quote A British art critic and historian named John Ruskin got the idea to hold a springtime festival for young girls, honoring their girlish innocence (Ruskin was actually rumored to be a pedophile...). Ruskin called his events May Queen festivals, since one girl would be selected queen, the "likeablest and loveablest" of all the maidens.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Sep 29 2013 at 11:00am
lol as long as its not lil white french girls of course ^ @eden

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Sep 29 2013 at 11:47am
Thumbs Down

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Sep 29 2013 at 12:03pm
Good that stuff is silly anyway

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Sep 29 2013 at 2:20pm
The Berkas as well as the beauty pagents for kids should be banned. I don't see the problem.

Posted By: ChubbyYeti
Date Posted: Sep 29 2013 at 5:27pm
I don't nessacerally think beauty pageants should be out right banned, there are natural pageants which I don't see a problem with. I think the glitz pagents with the makeup, hair, flippers, fake tan, adult clothing and adult routines should be banned.

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Sep 29 2013 at 5:43pm
[QUOTE=ChubbyYeti]I don't nessacerally think beauty pageants should be out right banned, there are natural pageants which I don't see a problem with. I think the glitz pagents with the makeup, hair, flippers, fake tan, adult clothing and adult routines should be banned.[/QUOTE]

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posted By: DWeird
Date Posted: Sep 30 2013 at 1:35am
I think talent competitions are great but I don't like the idea of child beauty pageants. If you're grown and want to use your looks to win in life fine, but don't subject innocent children to that nonsense. 

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Sep 30 2013 at 2:53am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

The Berkas as well as the beauty pagents for kids should be banned. I don't see the problem.

Please get back in the relationship section. I seriously want to slap you every time you post out of it.

Date Posted: Sep 30 2013 at 4:57am
For what? She is right. Who judges the beauty of a child? A woman kidnapped a child from a school using a burka. I see no problem with headcovers but a burka? That is too far.

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Sep 30 2013 at 5:57am
Originally posted by DiorShowGirl DiorShowGirl wrote:

[QUOTE=ChubbyYeti]I don't nessacerally think beauty pageants should be out right banned, there are natural pageants which I don't see a problem with. I think the glitz pagents with the makeup, hair, flippers, fake tan, adult clothing and adult routines should be banned.[/QUOTE]

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Agreed

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Sep 30 2013 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Prazol60 Prazol60 wrote:

For what? She is right. Who judges the beauty of a child? A woman kidnapped a child from a school using a burka. I see no problem with headcovers but a burka? That is too far.

Half of BHM

Date Posted: Sep 30 2013 at 8:03am
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

Half of BHM

LOL

Posted By: K_Camille
Date Posted: Sep 30 2013 at 9:49am
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

Half of BHM

Even the babies get it. LOL

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Sep 30 2013 at 9:49am
Originally posted by ChubbyYeti ChubbyYeti wrote:

I don't nessacerally think beauty pageants should be out right banned, there are natural pageants which I don't see a problem with. I think the glitz pagents with the makeup, hair, flippers, fake tan, adult clothing and adult routines should be banned.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with pageants with age appropriate costumes and routines.

Not surprised a rumored pedophile started this mess.

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Sep 30 2013 at 3:15pm
Good. Mini cattle calls disgust me.

Date Posted: Sep 30 2013 at 4:18pm

Hold on, so now we're criminalizing items of personal choice and religion on the basis of a lone criminal's fashion choice?

Are you kidding me???

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Sep 30 2013 at 4:43pm
^^some religions are plenty crimminal to me...

Posted By: Claudie
Date Posted: Sep 30 2013 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by DWeird DWeird wrote:

I think talent competitions are great but I don't like the idea of child beauty pageants. If you're grown and want to use your looks to win in life fine, but don't subject innocent children to that nonsense. 

Concur!!

Posted By: CaramelKittyKat
Date Posted: Sep 30 2013 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by DWeird DWeird wrote:

I agree. These kids are going to have fcked up self esteem. I feel so sorry for this little girl.

Date Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 1:35am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

Hold on, so now we're criminalizing items of personal choice and religion on the basis of a lone criminal's fashion choice?

Are you kidding me???

This is about an item of clothing which hides a persons face. Already there are law in place in many countries which say what you can and cannot wear in which setting. There are also rules set by private companies about what you can't wear on their property. No shoes, no shirt, no service.  You cannot go into a bank with a ski mask, etc.
Criminalization for wearing a burka? No. Bans, yes. We already have laws dictating what one can wear. If one violates these laws then they are ticketed and in some cases it does become a criminal case such as public nudity.

Date Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 2:21am

What a bullsh*t argument

Date Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 5:18am
Some of these arguments can be applied to the Trayvon Martin case

But y'all don't see that

Date Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 5:35am

Are you kidding me???

This is about an item of clothing which hides a persons face. Already there are law in place in many countries which say what you can and cannot wear in which setting. There are also rules set by private companies about what you can't wear on their property. No shoes, no shirt, no service.  You cannot go into a bank with a ski mask, etc.
Criminalization for wearing a burka? No. Bans, yes. We already have laws dictating what one can wear. If one violates these laws then they are ticketed and in some cases it does become a criminal case such as public nudity.

Then by that logic, ski masks and sunglasses are also banned, correct?

I'll answer that for you: NO.

Rules requiring people to be FULLY DRESSED in businesses is NOT the same as banning a religious garment. The burqa was not banned solely because it conceals the face, it was banned thanks to Islamophobia. This is essentially discrimination you're trying and failing to rationalize.

What a faulty argument, you might as well tell me Trayvon's clothing garnered his murder.

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 7:32am

Are you kidding me???

Then by that logic, ski masks and sunglasses are also banned, correct?

I'll answer that for you: NO.

Rules requiring people to be FULLY DRESSED in businesses is NOT the same as banning a religious garment. The burqa was not banned solely because it conceals the face, it was banned thanks to Islamophobia. This is essentially discrimination you're trying and failing to rationalize.

What a faulty argument, you might as well tell me Trayvon's clothing garnered his murder.
This

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 7:39am
Midna

Print Page | Close Window