Print Page | Close Window

Newbie to texlaxing.. any tips? arguments?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Hair Care
Forum Name: Hair Growth
Forum Description: Hair Growth issues, solutions, and discussions.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=364636
Printed Date: Nov 22 2017 at 4:15pm

Topic: Newbie to texlaxing.. any tips? arguments?
Posted By: NataleeC
Subject: Newbie to texlaxing.. any tips? arguments?
Date Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 11:40am
*gasp!* Natalee... Say it aint so!

Well, I haven't done it yet, but I'm considering it heavily, and as of now I have decided to give it the green light after a stint with havana braids this fall.
On some days, I couldn't appreciate the way my hair wais *correction: was* any more than I did... However, on other days, I felt like and even now I still feel like ripping it out of my scalp
The thing is, the latter was few and far between for most of my journey, but now, I find that my frustration is mounting, and I dread having to find a way to deal with it outside of a protective style.
I am afraid to take such a permanent plunge, but staying natural has become counter-productive. In my impatience, my hair strands suffer. I have found that I am no longer willing to give it the time and care it requires to flourish. I know texlaxing will bring its challenges, but at least they wont be of the same challenges I face now.
It is with a heavy heart that I have decided to quit being natural. Especially since I thoroughly enjoyed my thick braid outs that fluffed with age, sort of like a fine wine. I also enjoyed my blow outs, and curl pattern. But unless someone can convince me otherwise, I am officially handing in my resignation to the natural community. Two months notice. Right hea. Thank you for your time.

Replies:
Date Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 11:45am
It all boils down to this question:

why put up with something that you are supposed to enjoy, if you don't enjoy it anymore?

Date Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 2:52pm
Damn.. 14 views and no replies? :(

One other question though... Maintaining thickness- how do I do that? I want to keep most of my thickness...
If anyone knows shorty2sweet or shorty2sweety (idk how her name is) then you can imagine the amount of thickness and texture I want to keep. Hers is the perfect example of what I hope to achieve with mine.

Posted By: LadyAradia
Date Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 3:04pm
If you do NOT enjoy your natural texture any more, I suggest you buy Keratin Research Keratin brazilian keratin treatment on ebay or amazon. It will texlax you but will go away within 3-6 months leaving you natural again.  This way you won't have 2 textures together... you'll just start knowing it's time to do your whole head again. You have to flat iron your hair after putting it in and keep the hair straight for 3 days.  Just do it with a window open. 

A lot of people who are so strong on "natural" are 4a or 3c textured so their hair is already like a texlax naturally. They are not in a position to demand someone who does not have that curly coily texture enjoy their 4z  the way they enjoy their 4a. Suppose you just want to be a 3c/4a like they are naturally... I say GO FOR it! You got to do what works for YOU!

Date Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 4:23pm
Thanks for the reply, however, I must mention that I already am 3c/4a
Also, I don't really have any interest in going back to natural.. or having any reversion back to my natural pattern.
In addition to that, the formaldehyde not being regulated in any of the keratin formulas (please do not hesitate to correct me if I am wrong) makes me wary of going that route. I don't want teary eyes or a rash, or risk of lung and skin damage. Nor do I want to risk having an asthma attack in a not so well ventilated room.

I do value your input, but I don't think keratin treatments are the correct route for me.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 4:26pm
girl this the growth section aint nobody tryna talk you out of nothinLOL  you want a texturizer, get one. its your hair and any decision you make with it is fine.  now, go say your farewells to the natural section.  good luckThumbs Up

sn: if you actually want to get talked out of it i can do that too, but you gotta letta sista knowBig smile

Date Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 5:16pm
Lmao.
@tatee.. its such a permanent decision, I kinda want help to back out..
But in this bout of indecision, I still want to hear (and maybe experience) the pros as well.
Has anyone done a patch test of this kind?
How would I go about doing one? Seems worthwhile.

Date Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 5:37pm
i had a texturizer for 6 years and absolutely loved it for about 3 or 4 years...i mean loved it...until one day i didnt.  and thats the problem growing out a texurizer is not the most pleasant experience.

i could be wrong but what im sensing is that you never really got to know your hair and you really cant do that by hiding behind long term protective styles.   ive notice that a lot of people who go natural and use back to back protective styles usually have the hardest time adjusting to being natural because every time they take down their hair its like starting all over.  so they are forever in the newbie stages and never reach the point of understanding that you do not fight a battle against your hair but surrender to it.

Date Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by NataleeC NataleeC wrote:

Lmao.
@tatee.. its such a permanent decision, I kinda want help to back out..
But in this bout of indecision, I still want to hear (and maybe experience) the pros as well.
Has anyone done a patch test of this kind?
How would I go about doing one? Seems worthwhile.

yeah, your gonna spend a month doing research, another month going over the pros and cons and in the mean time your going to learn how to take care of your hair.  if you still want a texturizer in two month have at it, hoss.

Date Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 11:52pm
"i could be wrong but what im sensing is that you never really got to know your hair"

AHMAGERD YES. THIS. IS. ME.
It's like.. I've learned the words we repeat over and over again. So in a sense, I'm not that kind of newbie. I know WHAT to do.. patience, wide toothed comb, etc.
But, execution is my problem.
I damn sure know my hair isn't the problem.
So I hide behind protective styles like what I am doing in a few.
Its like being natural on paper is a whole lot different from being natural in real life. Is this just me struggling? Fighting a temporary fight? Or will this always be a real issue for me?
I'm tired of waiting for time to tell.

Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 7:38am
Poor Natalee, I feel your pain. I failed big time at my first attempt to go natural. I joined a few years back at the start of my journey. It all started with pictures on Njoys supernatural hair growth. I used to relax my hair, and now I texlax. My hair is much healither & I feel like I can manage it with the texlax. I so wanted to be amongst my natural sisters, with the huge hair flowing down my back, but girl...after 5months, I was like oh no...can I do this? I ended up doing a texlax (about 10min with a bunch of evoo in it) but it satisfied the urge. My hair is no way bone straight, but my "kitchen" is looking better...lmao. I really want to do the natural thing, but I don't want to be miserable doing it. the only PS I used the high bun. I don't do braids or weaves, so I have to deal with the different textures daily, which became increasingly annoying. Anyway, I plan on trying again...if nothing else, it will be a long stretch. LOL

Date Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 7:41am
If you want tips on how to actually preform a pretty decent texlax, let me know. I've become pretty decent. Approve

Date Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 9:51am
JEWEL! omg *farts*

Lol

I would love tips on how to do it.
Esp on: maintaining thickness
And getting to that weird, uniform, wavy, almost blowout pwttern ai see on youtube.

Posted By: krisviola1
Date Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 3:35pm

Thanks for the reply, however, I must mention that I already am 3c/4a
Also, I don't really have any interest in going back to natural.. or having any reversion back to my natural pattern.
In addition to that, the formaldehyde not being regulated in any of the keratin formulas (please do not hesitate to correct me if I am wrong) makes me wary of going that route. I don't want teary eyes or a rash, or risk of lung and skin damage. Nor do I want to risk having an asthma attack in a not so well ventilated room.

I do value your input, but I don't think keratin treatments are the correct route for me.

Have there ever been any studies or even just a YouTube video about the comparative toxicity of hair relaxers versus keratin straightening?  I don't want you to base your opinion about toxicity from just speculation.

If you really want to texturize your hair, I say go for it.  It's an easy way to wear semi-natural looking styles and and relaxed styles.  But I do think you should wait for a little while and spend some QT with your natural hair before you make the final decision.

Date Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 6:41pm
Do you mind explaining the bkt process as you experience it? It seems that I might be basing my opinion on youtube propoganda.

Posted By: krisviola1
Date Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 8:11pm

Do you mind explaining the bkt process as you experience it? It seems that I might be basing my opinion on youtube propoganda.

I've never had a bkt, but I do know that relaxers and BKT both have toxic ingredients.  I'm just not sure which one will be less toxic for your scalp and body in the long term.

My older sister with very thick, dense curly 4a hair got a BKT.  But she realized that she didn't really like having a looser texture.  She was thankful when the process wore off and she was natural again.  Aside from the scary unknown chemicals, I believe that is one advantage over a relaxer.

Date Posted: Sep 27 2013 at 1:11am
^^were there any side effects from the bkt that happened with her? Did she report burning eyes, closing throat, any of that jazz? What exactly did it do to her hair?

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Sep 27 2013 at 7:58am
I'm texlaxed and I loveeee it.

I tried to go natural too many times. I experienced breakage, matting, etc...it wasn't for me.

Now, I feel like I have the best of both worlds...i explain my texlaxing process here...

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/her-hair-is-so-beautiful_topic335995_page8.html" rel="nofollow - Texlaxing Process

Posted By: SN2BPHD
Date Posted: Sep 27 2013 at 8:53am
I have texlaxed also. I have no problems with breakage at all. I can now put my natural in a pony and only texlax 2-3x per year. I can comb my hair without breakage and it retains moisture more. Sounds strange I know. I personally enjoy natural hair, however mine was a bit too poufy, and would not manage without a fight. The only afro pony I could rock, was one that would not stay in pony itself. It looked like a ponytail that was slept and was coming out and poofing up at the top. I have fine hair naturally, and in my opinion, it is most likely to tangle. With a textlax, I can wear an afro style if I want, or put in plenty of product and rock it curly. I have also had my hair done by stylist and they think that it is my own texture. It isn't much off, if it was compared, However it is easier to manage and maintain. I can also use the same if not more products now.

I would have to say that it is not for everyone. I have seen some who did not follow the directions and or left it on too long. I do not have a problem with the minor reverting, as it does not break off, and I can do it again later if I want, or never textlax again and my hair blends just fine. I was just getting tired of relaxers and the breakage. In the last 2 years, my hair is down my back. When I started, it was 2 inches. I have curls I can wrap around by pinky and love the time it takes to manage the hair. I still look like the me before though.

I can say that if you are going to do it, I would section  your hair in 4-6 sections. Make sure you have combed out all the tangles. Start with the part of your hair that is more 4a than the 3c, as it would help keep it uniform. Use a LARGE comb. Many people use small combs as though they are putting in a relaxer. Don't do that. Make sure you have put oil on your hair before you start. It will give you more time. Don't be stingy with that oil. And wash it all out. I know it seems common sense, however there have been some that have messed this up.

Posted By: MinnieMe
Date Posted: Sep 27 2013 at 9:28am
My tip is not to texlax Just kidding. Do what works for you. It did nothing for my texture but I have EXTREMELY kinky hair.

Date Posted: Sep 29 2013 at 9:46am
great info on texlaxing:

http://www.justgrowalready.com/2012/12/texlaxing-what-how-why.html#.Ukg8Uxh1IkE" rel="nofollow - http://www.justgrowalready.com/2012/12/texlaxing-what-how-why.html#.Ukg8Uxh1IkE

Date Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 1:45am
Oh sheeyit..
A bunch of helpful replies.
Thanks ladies!
I had a bit of time to go over my decision. I got the results I wanted, in terms of me having an easy wash day this go around. Detangling wasn't too hard, and the styling went by easily. However, in hindsight, I realized I had too few experiences like this to really want to stick with my hair for another long haul. I just know I will get impatient, and frustrated, and do more damage than good like what I have done in the past.
So for now, for the health of my hair, and the maintenance of my sanity, I'm taking the easy way out and texlaxing.
After all, I'm really in this for growth, and it doesn't matter what state my hair is in, as long as it grows. I'm ready for a new beginning, and I don't think I will stay natural anymore.
Maybe in the future. Please, continue to post information on texlaxing, and plenty of pictures if you have any. Thanks all, Nat.

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 12:40pm
I'm texlaxed.. & loving it.
My texlaxed hair does not have any "curls" , it looks like loose yaki braiding hair (slight waves + tons of texture)
My hair looks like a shorter version of Jenn's hair from Just Grow Already or Sunshynes hair from Hairlicious/Hairlista.
Right now I bun or PS with wigs. I can't wait for the length to come.
No regrets.

Date Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 1:45pm
Nat i swear i heard violins playing through that entire post http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/Saphia_Mayo/media/Emoticons/e657261.gif.html" rel="nofollow"> LOL
just learn to love your hair. we all just want you to be happyHug
yesterday i saw an article and i thought of you but then i got distracted and forgot to post it.  when i find it again i'll post up.

Date Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 1:53pm
i dont know if youre going to a salon or doing it at home but here some useful threads on bhm:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/how-to-texlax-update_topic255555.html" rel="nofollow - How to Texlax

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/after-relaxer-neutralizing_topic114291.html" rel="nofollow - How to Properly Neutralize

Date Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 2:00pm
http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/02/6-attitudes-that-will-keep-you-frustrated-with-your-hair/" rel="nofollow - http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/02/6-attitudes-that-will-keep-you-frustrated-with-your-hair/

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/02/6-attitudes-that-will-keep-you-frustrated-with-your-hair/" rel="nofollow - 6 Attitudes that Will Keep you Frustrated with Your Hair

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/02/6-attitudes-that-will-keep-you-frustrated-with-your-hair/#comments" rel="nofollow - 24 http://blackgirllonghair.com/category/haircare/" rel="nofollow - Natural Hair Care
by http://blackgirllonghair.com/author/black-girl-with-long-hair/" rel="nofollow - Black Girl With Long Hair
http://www.hupso.com/share/" rel="nofollow">Share Button
Going natural is a learning experience and things can get emotional. Re-learning how to manage and style your hair after years of relaxing can be a challenge, and it can be made more difficult depending on your attitude. Here are 6 attitudes that will keep you frustrated at your hair.

1. Impatience

Ah, impatience. We’ve all dealt with it, whether it’s waiting to grow out those last few inches, sitting through an hour long detangling session or trying to master the art of flat twisting. It can be easy to let impatience get the best of you but consider that you are in a process of re-learning your hair and it’s just going to take time. Anticipate that the first two years of journey might be bumpy and progress may sometimes seem slow. If you did a big chop, you won’t have back length hair right off the bat. If all you know how to do is flat iron, then natural hair styling and maintenance techniques will take time to learn. But don’t fear! Many veteran naturals have their routines down to a science, and spend less and less time on their hair as the years go by. There’s light at the end of the tunnel!

2. Compensating for your hair

Some women don’t like what they find on the other side of the big chop. They might have expected looser curls and ended up with a tight z pattern, or wanted hair that grows up and out, and ended up with soft hair that flops down. A kneejerk reaction can be to get a dye job, do a press and curl or put in a weave. Although none of these practices are bad in and of themselves they can do damage to your hair and sense of self when used as a perceived ‘compensation’. If you are feeling disappointed or unhappy with your natural hair try getting to the bottom of your dissatisfaction, and adjusting your outlook. And realize that changing your perception of what is beautiful will take some effort.

3. Stubborn Defensiveness

When you read natural hair articles or hear natural hair ‘gurus’ talking, it can be tempting to be defensive and discredit them. You might think; ‘What do they know?’ or ‘And who are they to tell me how to take care of my hair?’ While you certainly shouldn’t believe everything you read, it’s important to have some humility. If you’ve tried taking care of your hair, and it’s not where you want it to be, there’s nothing wrong with admitting you don’t have all the answers and trying new advice.

4. Competition & Jealousy

The web is a great resource for seeing the diversity of natural hair styles but at times it can be tempting to compare. Thoughts like, ‘She did the big chop around the same time as I did, how come her hair looks so much better?’ or ‘I tried that exact style and it looks great on her, but not on me’ can linger, but they’re just not helpful. Natural hair is not about comparison, it’s about your own personal journey. Take the information and inspiration you need from the web, and leave the rest.

5. Laziness

It can be easy to let your cute new fro lull you into a false sense of security, leading you to believe that it doesn’t need anything to stay cute. Well, it does. While natural hair maintenance doesn’t have to take a ton of time it does require consistency. For most naturals, moisturizing every day is a must, detangling regularly (and with patience!) is a must, caring for your ends is a must. If you get lazy with essential hair practices, expect to see the quality of your hair decline.

6. Extreme Do-It-Yourself

Natural hair culture is very do-it-yourself. I’d venture to guess that there are more naturals who do their own hair than go to the salon. But, if you don’t have the styling skills, there’s no shame in finding a trusted natural hair stylist (or even just a friend or family member who’s good at doing hair) to help you out. Don’t feel like a failure or somehow ‘inauthentic’ if you need help. Not everyone can whip out an intricate flat twist updo with some grease and a rattail comb!

Ladies, have you struggled with any of these attitudes? What are some other mentalities that can hold you back?

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/02/6-attitudes-that-will-keep-you-frustrated-with-your-hair/" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: Oct 16 2013 at 3:21pm
**LATE AF POST**
okay so tatee is a damn godsend with all those links meng
What's your address so I can send you some flowers or some sh*t? Lol
Update: still haven't gone through with it yet
Nor have I put in any braids.
I've been hat-bunning (my phrase for putting it in an ugly sloppy bun and hiding it ubder a hat) and so far, I haven't had extreme tangling. Actually, I haven't had any at all O.o
Maybe this is my hair's way of getting its sh*t together.
I've had a LOT of shedding.. imagine a tennis ball's worth.. maybe a little less, but not really.. I have attributed that to me not taking it don for like.. a month and a half.. maybe two, I dont remember.. but if this continues, I need a sulfate free garlic shampoo roduct ASAP.
So far, I'm still considering texlaxing, but I just made it back to MBL, so maybe I'll do it at WL. It's not at the forefront of my mind anymore, it's on the back burner, and I hate that I'm so flippant about such permanent decisions.
Inevitably, this will resurface, but for now, I'm attempting patience and understanding and so far, me and my hair are in agreement. Will update you later. In the meanwhile, I may or may not upload some PICS depending on how lazy I feel lol
Thanks all
Feel free to use this as a vent thread. :D

Print Page | Close Window