Print Page | Close Window

Is this normal when using sulfur?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Hair Care
Forum Name: Hair Growth
Forum Description: Hair Growth issues, solutions, and discussions.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=364416
Printed Date: Jan 23 2018 at 8:29pm

Topic: Is this normal when using sulfur?
Posted By: DEE80
Subject: Is this normal when using sulfur?
Date Posted: Sep 16 2013 at 5:24pm
I'm using a new sulfur mix and was just wondering if this is normal. A few minutes after I put it on my scalp, it itches.

Replies:
Posted By: luvmybiga$$fro
Date Posted: Sep 16 2013 at 5:45pm
Hey Dee! I'm no sulfur expert, but maybe your concentration is too much? Should pm NJoy. She has a good sulfur mix that a lot of ladies swear by. I'm sure she can help ya out.

Date Posted: Sep 16 2013 at 5:52pm
That's the one I'm using. It has a lot of ingredients, so I'm not sure, if it's something I'm doing or the new sulfur mix.

Posted By: luvmybiga$$fro
Date Posted: Sep 16 2013 at 6:12pm
Have you used sulfur in the past? Did you do a spot test first? Do you have any other products on your scalp? I gave heard that sulfur can cause itchiness upon application, but it should subside. If it gets worse, you should wash it thoroughly out.

Date Posted: Sep 16 2013 at 6:19pm
I didn't use anything else, but that. As a for a spot test, when do apply the sulfur, some gets behind my ears and she told me how to do a spot test. I noticed some itchiness, dryness, and little scabs. You know, little dry scabs. Maybe I should just do a plain spot test and see if I get the same reaction. Thanks for the responses. :)

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Sep 16 2013 at 8:01pm
No it is not normal.  Either the concentration of sulfur is too much or you are reacting to sulfur in general.

Date Posted: Sep 16 2013 at 8:13pm
I used LG in the past and it itched and now I have NJoy's new formula and it itches. Like I said, when I get it behind my ear, it itches and I get little scabs from the dryness. I had to cut my hair because I had a dry scab that peeled off. I know it's nasty. I was thinking it could be from the shampoo I was using, which is Trader Joe's Tea Tree. If I co-wash, I use a little bit of Curl Junkie. Thanks ladies.

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Sep 29 2013 at 3:21pm
Most likely a sensitivity to Sulfa

Date Posted: Sep 30 2013 at 3:27pm
Yeah. I tried to use it again, but each time, I get the same reaction. So I'm back to using Jamaica Black Castor oil. Thanks ladies.Smile

Posted By: NJoy
Date Posted: Oct 15 2013 at 9:24pm

Yep. This sort of reaction is what you're looking for when doing a patch test, which I always recommend.  If you're sensitive, you may have redness, itching and/or little bumps, like an allergic reaction. Sounds like this is you.  And if you have that after doing a patch test, you shouldn't use it all over. You have a sulfur sensitivity, Sis.  Sulfur-free products from now on.

Date Posted: Oct 15 2013 at 10:59pm
@NJoy Thanks for responding. The funny thing is that when I used it, it cleared up any bumps I did have. I just a lot of dryness, itching, and redness behind my ears. My scalp also itched a lot. I never got bumps though.

Print Page | Close Window