Print Page | Close Window

oh just shut the fucc up Russell Simmons

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=364337
Printed Date: Nov 17 2017 at 7:21pm

Topic: oh just shut the fucc up Russell Simmons
Posted By: zsazsa
Subject: oh just shut the fucc up Russell Simmons
Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 3:00pm
He is my new fav person to hateLOL move over Tiger and the rest of them coons. 

Russell Simmons to André Leon Talley: ‘I’ve done more for blacks in f
Russell Simmons lashes out at André Leon Talley: ‘I’ve done more for blacks in fashion and gay rights’ than you

by Chris Witherspoon | September 13, 2013 at 12:09 PM

André Leon Talley called out Russell Simmons for depicting Harriet Tubman making a sex tape in a comedy video he produced, during his interview this week with theGrio.

The former Vogue editor-at-large said that Simmons should be banned from front rows of fashion shows this season for his role in the controversial project.

“I think anyone that is a person of achievement on the front row that has achieved a great deal be they black or white is a good thing,” Talley told theGrio.

Simmons has apologized both publicly and privately to descendants of Tubman for the parody, but his mea culpa is insufficient as far as Talley is concerned.

“I don’t think Russell Simmons should be seated on anybody’s front row this week after having done that disgusting Harriet Tubman sex tape. He is a man of great achievement. He is a great philanthropist….why would he think it would be an honorable thing to do? He said he thought it was funny. That is not funny it is outrageously disrespectful to the legacy and history of Harriet Tubman and to the struggle.”

Moments ago Simmons took to Twitter to apologize to Talley and also issue some criticism.

“Im really sincerely sorry @ http://www.lipstickalley.com/members/131170-andre/" rel="nofollow - Andre leontally. Fyi ive done more for blacks in fashion and gay rights then [sic] you, can i get a break/ seat ?,” Simmons tweeted.

“Where were u on marriage equality @ gay pride, dont ask dont tell? Did u help change fed policy LAST WEEK on mandatory minimum sentencing?” he continued.

“I earned my seat take off the fur coat and sit down.”

http://thegrio.com/2013/09/13/russell-simmons-lashes-out-at-andre-leon-talley-ive-done-more-for-blacks-in-fashion-and-gay-rights-than-you/" rel="nofollow - Russell Simmons lashes out at André Leon Talley: ‘I

Replies:
Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 3:01pm

Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 3:02pm
Angrybhm FIX yo self

*deep breath*

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 3:07pm
What did Russell say that was so wrong?

He apologized and I believe his apology was genuinely given..
What did he say in the article that was so out of bounds?

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 3:07pm
Russel real mad about sitting front row........

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 3:08pm
go Andre!

Posted By: tatee
Russell sounds like a white man who couldnt possibly be racist because of all he did for those colored people.

Posted By: FarraFace
I don't really keep up with RS like that, so other than making Kimora his child bride and BabyPhatFarm, what has he done for blacks in fashion?

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 3:10pm
I think its funny that he said all of this while waking up to a white woman.......

Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 3:12pm
I agree with him he has employed and given work to more blacks in fashion than Andre.
I guess he's like the Tyler Perry of fashion
I don't always like the end result but I'm not mad he's doing it.

Andre held a powerful position in the fashion industry .
I don't know what he did to try to empower blacks or gays while there...

Posted By: Jess
Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 3:28pm
The same guy who thought the Harriet Tubman clip was okay?

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 3:35pm
They can both have a seat.

Posted By: Queenbeeach
Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

I agree with him he has employed and given work to more blacks in fashion than Andre.

How can you say this and ....then say this....

Andre held a powerful position in the fashion industry .

If you don't know what he did, how can you say that Russel has done more than him? 

I've heard only good things about andre and black people in fashion. Everyone from models to make up artists speak highly of him. I know a MUA that he gave advice to on furthering her career and stuff like that. He recently spoke of how he has repeatedly being shafted by the fashion industry. His editor-at-large situation is not by choice, he won't let him rise up the ladder. 

Originally posted by ALT ALT wrote:

“He admits to wondering why, with such a packed résumé, he’s never been the editor of a major magazine” and says, “People stereotype you. What person of color do you know who’s in a position like that, be it a man or a woman, unless it’s Essence magazine?” Well, it’s about 3 now? Keija Minor made the news last summer for becoming the first person of color to hold an editor-in-chief title for a Condé Nast publication. She was name the EIC of Brides magazine. Since then, Elaine Welteroth became the health and beauty director of Teen Vogue, while Shiona Turini was just named the new fashion market director of Cosmopolitan less than two weeks ago. Yea, that’s three; three in over a hundred years.

And he has talked about how people treat him pigeonhole him into sort of black, gay, fabulous, peacock stereotype ignoring the fact that he is highly intelligent and went to Brown. He's also talked about the pay cuts, and demotion they gave him at Vogue and how there are very few black people there. I'll admit that he coochiefoots around calling people out because they are his friends and he has to work with them, but you can't say he doesn't do sh*t for black people or don't feel passionate about these things. He is not one those racism doesn't exist, post racial kind of people. 

Posted By: cece1987
Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

But Andre' is always seated, when do really see him stand up?Confused

Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Queenbeeach Queenbeeach wrote:

How can you say this and ....then say this....

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Andre held a powerful position in the fashion industry .</span>

If you don't know what he did, how can you say that Russel has done more than him? 

I've heard only good things about andre and black people in fashion. Everyone from models to make up artists speak highly of him. I know a MUA that he gave advice to on furthering her career and stuff like that. He recently spoke of how he has repeatedly being shafted by the fashion industry. His editor-at-large situation is not by choice, he won't let him rise up the ladder. 

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">

</span><span style="color: rgb102, 102, 102; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 26px;">“He admits to wondering why, with such a packed résumé, he’s never been the editor of a major magazine” and says, “People stereotype you. What person of color do you know who’s in a position like that, be it a man or a woman, unless it’s Essence magazine?” Well, it’s about 3 now? Keija Minor made the news last summer for becoming the first person of color to hold an editor-in-chief title for a Condé Nast publication. She was name the EIC of Brides magazine. Since then, Elaine Welteroth became the health and beauty director of Teen Vogue, while Shiona Turini was just named the new fashion market director of Cosmopolitan less than two weeks ago. Yea, that’s three; three in over a hundred years.
</span>

And he has talked about how people treat him pigeonhole him into sort of black, gay, fabulous, peacock stereotype ignoring the fact that he is highly intelligent and went to Brown. He's also talked about the pay cuts, and demotion they gave him at Vogue and how there are very few black people there. I'll admit that he coochiefoots around calling people out because they are his friends and he has to work with them, but you can't say he doesn't do sh*t for black people or don't feel passionate about these things. He is not one those racism doesn't exist, post racial kind of people. 

I see evidence of what Russell has done.
But you're right.
I'm gonna guess he hasn't employed as much blacks as Simmons though...

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by cece1987 cece1987 wrote:

Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

But Andre' is always seated, when do really see him stand up?Confused

You have a pointLOL

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Queenbeeach Queenbeeach wrote:

“He admits to wondering why, with such a packed résumé, he’s never been the editor of a major magazine” and says, “People stereotype you. What person of color do you know who’s in a position like that, be it a man or a woman, unless it’s Essence magazine?” Well, it’s about 3 now? Keija Minor made the news last summer for becoming the first person of color to hold an editor-in-chief title for a Condé Nast publication. She was name the EIC of Brides magazine. Since then, Elaine Welteroth became the health and beauty director of Teen Vogue, while Shiona Turini was just named the new fashion market director of Cosmopolitan less than two weeks ago. Yea, that’s three; three in over a hundred years.

wow. I know so little about him but I've always adored him.

thanks for the info . This makes me happy. Go Andre!

eta: the good stuff (not that they won't let him advance)

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 9:56pm
eff russell...

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 10:43pm

no need to compare his accomplishments with anyone, it's irrelevant really ... doesn't change how distasteful the Harriet Tubman vid was 

if he was genuinely apologizing for something he believed to wrong, he should understanding that others found it wrong as well and will speak on it

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

no need to compare his accomplishments with anyone, it's irrelevant really ... doesn't change how distasteful the Harriet Tubman vid was 

if he was genuinely apologizing for something he believed to wrong, he should understanding that others found it wrong as well and will speak on it

All of this.

Posted By: NadiaPost
Date Posted: Sep 14 2013 at 12:10am
I used to respect Russell until I realized he was just a millionaire pervert. This is the same dude who said it was okay to allow Gweneth Palethrow to use the n-word because when she says it it comes from a place of love. He courted Kimora when she was 17. We lost Russell years ago. So fuk him and his Rush Card.

Posted By: Queenbeeach
Date Posted: Sep 14 2013 at 5:18am

Very true. And ALT didn't bash or question Russell's achievements, he gave him his props, but called him out on the Harriet Tubman vid and rightfully so. 

“I don’t think Russell Simmons should be seated on anybody’s front row this week after having done that disgusting Harriet Tubman sex tape. He is a man of great achievement. He is a great philanthropist….why would he think it would be an honorable thing to do? He said he thought it was funny. That is not funny it is outrageously disrespectful to the legacy and history of Harriet Tubman and to the struggle.”

Posted By: indiecat
Date Posted: Sep 14 2013 at 10:58am
Coon

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Sep 14 2013 at 10:17pm

if he was genuinely apologizing for something he believed to be wrong, he should understand that others found it wrong as well and will speak on it

see now I just can not with this auto correct business

there's no easy way to bypass the suggestions on my phone and I haven't taken the time to figure out how to change it

Posted By: foxyroy19
Date Posted: Sep 15 2013 at 4:09am
Didn't talley say he wasn't gay?

Print Page | Close Window