Print Page | Close Window

The Internet Explained By Prisoners Who Have Never

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=363946
Printed Date: Jun 19 2018 at 3:55pm

Topic: The Internet Explained By Prisoners Who Have Never
Posted By: zsazsa
Subject: The Internet Explained By Prisoners Who Have Never
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 9:25am

The Internet Explained By Prisoners Who Have Never Seen It

It is illegal in the United States for federal prisoners to go on the internet. Most prisoners who have been serving long sentences in prison have never been online. Some inmates have managed to go online through illegally smuggled cell phones.

But most of them haven’t tried out smartphones, apps, or instant messaging. Facebook, Twitter, and Yelp are vague concepts. The idea that apps can know where you are or remember your information sounds like sci-fi. They hear about these things from friends, television, and magazines, but it’s hard to conceive what they are and how they have transformed the world. 

Proponents say it’s a matter of security; opponents say it is a major hurdle for successful reintegration once they are released. Some federal prisoners have been granted limited access to monitored text-only email with people on an approved contact list. But most state prisoners don’t even have that. 

What is it like to be a grown adult in 2013 and have no idea what the internet is? I asked some prisoners at California’s San Quentin State Prison how they imagine it.

According to one inmate in his thirties who asked not to be named, “It’s like pages that connect to other pages endlessly. I know [on Facebook] you can find someone if they list their high school or something, and click on it, but it doesn’t make much sense. I’ve seen apps on the Ellen DeGeneres show. It’s a button that leads you somewhere, like an internet page, but in a quicker way.”

He has seen printouts from Facebook, since his friend outside set up a page on his behalf so high school buddies can send him messages. Sometimes he gets them in the mail.

A handful of San Quentin prisoners partook in the Last Mile program about the internet and startups. Through books, presentations, and printouts, they gained a theoretical understanding of the web, but not a practical one. While they still haven’t been online, this basic understanding made it easier for them to articulate just how far off their first impressions were. Here’s what they told me:

I’ve never seen the internet in person. I was locked up in 1997. CDs were a big deal. I knew the internet was called the information superhighway for a reason, but I had no idea how connected society really is through the internet. 

I didn’t understand how big and new it is. It was a global name that has changed the world. 
I could imagine the information that the internet provided when it came to research, and that is how it existed in my mind, just as a tool. If you had asked me what a URL was, I would have just looked at you. 
I imagined an app was a button you pressed on your phone with no clear conceptualization of what it really did.

—Tommy Winfrey, 35, serving 25 years to life; entered prison in 1997

-------------------------------------------

I have seen the advertisements of both the internet and the apps on the television, but I never paid close attention about their usage. I did not consider their significance. 
I was completely in the blind about the purpose. I thought they were just sites for people to socialize and spend their idle time.
—Jorge Heredia, 37; entered prison in 1998
---------------------------------------------------------

I envisioned the web to be like this infinite space filled with information about everything under the sun. 
I was confused about how you got from one piece of info to the next and I was clueless in terms of the lingo used to describe it all…
The technical aspects of it make me go, Hmmmm? I realize everything is getting faster and moving toward mobile, so I often wonder about who’s doing all this stuff and where is it all taking place?
—Chrisfino Kenyatta Leal, 44; entered prison in 1994

Replies:
Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 9:30am
if they are allowed to go on the phone they should be allowed to go on the internet, especially the ones that they plan on releasing to society one day.

Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 10:09am
When they get out they can take classes at the public library.

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 10:50am
They should really be givin a computer basics class. If you don't want them to end up in the system again you are going to have to provide them with basic skills.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 10:50am

hmmmmmm

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 10:56am
You give an inch, and they'll take a mile.

I like the text based email system. Teach em to type.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 10:56am
wow, to think that the internet,apps, etc could be a foreign concept to someone alive in 2013 in the developed world...

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 11:15am

Prisoners should be given a computer basic class.
Blocks of certain items on the net can be done.
I would love to teach basic computer classes to mommy prisoners with low crime records. Perhaps, this could save some tax money...

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 11:17am
so when they have those inmate dating sites who is accessing these accounts?

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 11:25am
i think they should help them write resume's and help them to look up jobs on sites like monster and indeed. i'd even go so far as to have them select positions to apply for and give them mock interviews. 

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 11:38am
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

i think they should help them write resume's and help them to look up jobs on sites like monster and indeed. i'd even go so far as to have them select positions to apply for and give them mock interviews. 

whats this crazy talk you speak?Confused  what you want them to do rehabilitate peopleLOL theyre in money making business. if folks start getting jobs after prison and having hope for the future how are they going to recidivate?

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 11:39am
didnt fully read.. but there are ppl inside who have phones and they use those for the internet. they have facebook and everything.. 
its crazy to me that someone thats not an old senior hasnt been on the internet before. 

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 11:42am
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

didnt fully read.. but there are ppl inside who have phones and they use those for the internet. they have facebook and everything.. 
its crazy to me that someone thats not an old senior hasnt been on the internet before. 

Some inmates have managed to go online through illegally smuggled cell phones.

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 11:48am
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

recidivate?

^^^^
Thats the $hit I don't like

Posted By: texasmami0117
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 12:39pm
tatee making people google words in shame Embarrassed

Posted By: ChubbyYeti
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

so when they have those inmate dating sites who is accessing these accounts?

Friends/Family. They also can send the website a mail-in application with a check to put a profile online.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 2:18pm
oh ok.. yea reading is fundamental i guess 

Print Page | Close Window