Print Page | Close Window

Ken. students complains about the new lunch menu

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=363796
Printed Date: Nov 19 2017 at 10:37am

Topic: Ken. students complains about the new lunch menu
Posted By: NARSAddict
Subject: Ken. students complains about the new lunch menu
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 10:41am
After reading this, I can see why they are complaining.  First of all the change is too sudden and when you have been eating white bread and mayonnaise sandwiches all of your life and someone decides to feed you whole wheat bread and tofu, you will pitch a fit.  Basically they have an undeveloped palate.  Also with healthy cooked meals, well what I see here in the US, there is an underutilization of spices and herbs into meals.  Which means a lot of flavors is heavily relying on salt and fats.  And by fats I mean the unhealthy fats.  The article doesn't mention how many hours of physical education these students are getting but that might be another issue.

Education

Kentucky students to first lady Michelle Obama: Your food ‘tastes like vomit’

9:04 AM 08/27/2013

Eric Owens
Education Editor

Students in a rural Kentucky county — and their parents — are the latest to join a growing national chorus of scorn for the healthy school lunches touted by first lady Michelle Obama.

“They say it tastes like vomit,” said Harlan County Public Schools board member Myra Mosley at a contentious board meeting last week, http://www.harlandaily.com/view/full_story/23441166/article-School-lunches-creating-a-%C3%A2--stir%C3%A2--" rel="nofollow - reports The Harlan Daily Enterprise.

The growing body of USDA meal regulations implemented by the Department of Agriculture under the “Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010″ has long been a signature issue for the first lady.

Denizens of Harlan County don’t much care, though. Their primary concern at the board meeting was a bevy of complaints that local children are starving at lunch — and for the remainder of the school day — because the food on offer in the cafeteria is crappy and there isn’t nearly enough of it.

“Kids can’t learn when they’re hungry!” parents shouted to the board, according to the Enterprise.

Other gripes involved the new bread, which students don’t want to eat because it’s brown wheat bread, and the new milk, which is skim or one percent fat, not two percent or whole. The cafeteria’s chocolate- and strawberry-flavored milk offerings are now nonfat.

Jack Miniard, the school district’s director of school and community nutrition, was on hand to explain that the federal government now governs both food choices and portion sizes in most American school districts including Harlan County.

Under the National School Lunch Program, Under the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act, participating schools must provide lunches — including free or reduced price lunches — with minimum amounts of fresh fruits, fresh vegetables and whole grains. Also, in what presumably falls outside the hunger-free aspect of the act, there’s a calorie cap: 850 for high school lunches, 700 for middle schools and a mere 650 calories for kids in elementary school.

Students can only have one serving of meat or other protein. However, rich kids can buy a second portion each day on their own dime.

Servings of carbohydrates such as potatoes are limited to just a single serving of three-fourths of a cup per student.

On the plus side, students can eat as many fruits and vegetables as they want.

Across the country, students and parents have expressed dissatisfaction with the federal government’s new food regime. Some wealthier suburban school districts are simply backing out of the National School Lunch Program, though doing so can mean giving up a six-figure annual subsidy for the district. http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/26/fed-up-school-junks-federal-lunch-aid-after-students-give-new-grub-terrible-reviews/" rel="nofollow - (RELATED: First lady-backed school lunch regs cost school district $100,000)

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/27/kentucky-students-to-first-lady-michelle-obama-your-food-tastes-like-vomit/#ixzz2dBT1dhHj" rel="nofollow - http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/27/kentucky-students-to-first-lady-michelle-obama-your-food-tastes-like-vomit/#ixzz2dBT1dhHj

Replies:
Posted By: Momeijheii
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 10:47am
They want mountain dew and boiled p-nuts.
...and bacon. ....and flavorless potato flakes. That's why they mad. 
Southern whites in particular are fvcking ridiculous.

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 10:54am
They need to sit down and eat that damn food or have their parents pack them a brown bag. Their hearts will thank them for it later.

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 11:06am
Really? LOL the article called them denizens....But seriously they want unhealthy foods and tater chips.

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 11:07am
Back in the days school lunch ( H.S.) consisted of "murder burgers" with "suicide french fries". On occasion they will offer some bomb ass onion rings and a chicken patty sammichLOL

Posted By: BrownQtee
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 11:08am

Not sure what the big deal is. If you don't want your child subjected to healthy food items..then STFU and pack them a lunch. Simple. Idiots.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 11:08am
I'm a picky eater and I like tofu.
I never ate that nasty ass lunch in school. 

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 11:09am
Wait....we always had skim milk at school.

Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 11:10am
Goes to show you how Americans in general got waaay too comfortable with being dependent on the system. And it ain't just us coloreds either...

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 11:20am
i'd like to know if they are serving whole foods or processed foods and passing it off as natural. 
i would be very surprised if they are getting this reaction if the food is truly fresh whole foods like it should be. 

processed natural foods (including altering whole foods fat and natural sugar content) are mostly disgusting IMO.

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 11:39am
Here's a thought--pack your own lunch, idiots.

I pack my kids lunches 90% of the time because cafeteria food does taste nasty.

I gotta agree with nonfat and 1% milk is basically water.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 11:51am
*Takes off classy hat*

I think a conservative school district does this every year since The Obama Admin has started making healthy meals for children mandatory and every year they look dumber.

Make your kids their Kentucky yt trash Burgoo stew (aka roadkill stew) and cornmeal mash for lunch and stfu

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 12:01pm
they have a right to complain, and not everybody wants skim milk and wheat bread.

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 12:03pm
Cafeteria food has always been nasty.

I think a lot of them parents just wanna yell and scream about the Obamas.

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Get out of my head!!

And here is an idea for them. Pack their lunches if the cafeteria food is just that bad. Even the unhealthy stuff we had in school was disgusting! Which is why I carried my lunch or bought things in our student center to eat.

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 12:07pm
Except the teriyaki beef dippers. I loved when they served them.

I stopped eating lunch in 7th grade though. I'd go play basketball outside and mingle with my friends instead of going in the cafeteria. In HS, I chilled in the library and posted on forums. If I was hungry I'd buy something out of the vending machine or go across the street to Boston Market or Wendys.

I didn't really eat lunch until I got home.

Posted By: Addicted19034
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 12:11pm
School l inches are the devil

Wheat bread and skim milk ain't gonna hurt nobody

Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 12:12pm

Wow...being mad that a FREE or REDUCED MEAL is healthy.   Really, flabbergasted that parents have the nerve to complain.    And we wonder why are children are being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and hypertension at age 8? 

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 12:41pm
ew, 1% milk

Posted By: EasterBell
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 1:02pm
who goes to school expecting 5 star dining? School lunch always been nasty.. there were difference choices in milk too..  Parents just lying .. Don't like what is being served, then do what has been done since the beginning of the garbage school lunches, pack a lunch..

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

i was about to say... 

also, they're entitled to complain and not want the food. my concern is that it's healthy, meets fda/usda guidelines and follows the damn food pyramid. the taste can't please all the people all the time, but those who need it are welcome to eat it. the school is required to provide it, you're not required to eat it.

your kids don't want to eat it? then do what my mom did and pack them a damn lunch. 

Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 1:21pm
... and why all the 1% milk hate? we drink 1% milk (2% if other is sold out) and prefer it to anything else. 

at this point, i've had it so long that attempting to drink whole milk is like trying to drink whipping cream.  Dead

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 1:21pm
any excuse to disrespect mrs obama

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 1:29pm
everybody can't bring a lunch from home

Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

... and why all the 1% milk hate? we drink 1% milk (2% if other is sold out) and prefer it to anything else. 

at this point, i've had it so long that attempting to drink whole milk is like trying to drink whipping cream.  Dead
LOL

<---Skim drinker who was raised on 90s school lunches.

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

Here's a thought--pack your own lunch, idiots.

I pack my kids lunches 99.99999% of the time because cafeteria food does taste nasty.

I gotta agree with nonfat and 1% milk is basically water.

My kids will not touch cafeteria food. Once, I just couldn't make them lunch gave them money for the cafeteria... they both did not eat at lunch time because they refused to eat the food.. I felt soo bad that day Ouch

Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

everybody can't bring a lunch from home
and having grown up in the public school system-- ketchup is a vegetable and food can't always taste how we'd like it to.

decisions, decisions. 

Posted By: Anah
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 1:32pm
Why do I get the feeling that these Kentucky kids ain't learning a darn?

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 3:41pm
Our school lunch was the bomb in high school. We had three different lunch lines, one was for hot meals, one was for salads and sandwiches/wraps(which they made for like by order like subway) and the other was junk like pizza, nachos and hotdogs.  In middle school I mostly bought snacks and I didn't care for the food in elementary.  They'll get over it.

Posted By: texasmami0117
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 5:20pm
I understand that it's free but it's free because most parents can't afford to send their kids to school with a packed lunch every day. Just because they can't afford it doesn't mean they should eat like prisoners and be hungry all day.

However, if this is a NATIONAL lunch program and they are eating the same thing kids are eating everywhere else then tough sh*t kiddos. We've all been through it.

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 5:34pm
That's ok, because as long as there's people like that around to complain about healthy food, even when it's FREE, doctors and funeral homes will always have someone to thank for their hefty paychecks. 

'Merica Ermm

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 6:04pm
Some parents cant afford to pack their kids lunches and just because its free doesnt mean they have to accept it.....

But these same parents werent mad about the previous crap that their kids were eating? Its the healthy stuff that got them shook? Where the previous lunches that great?  Not like they're eating tofu every day but most schools offer two alternatives when it comes to lunch.....Suck it up and eat ya damn veggies and fruits.... I mean damn stop acting like a f-in brat... eventually they will eat it.

Posted By: Kocoa
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 6:24pm
gawd, I'm glad I went through the school system in the 90s. Sure, the food wasn't that healthy but not everyone can eat wheat bread (because it's disgusting) and I still can't eat tofu from NO ONE unless I make it myself. Even going to school in NYC, I rem going in on them carrot sticks, apples and oranges even though we had the round pizzas and the "goat cheese" pizzas. I always had the whole milk though, the skim was pretty much talcum powder in water.

We can't just blame the food for childhood obesity and related health issues. Growing up, I had gym at least 4x a week (and at one point 7x a week) + lunch + after school activities. Dang near everyone had the option to have something to do and somewhere to be. I remember almost right after I graduated HS, all these school programs were getting cut left and right. Hell, I remember even having to sell candy to help out our music program and the same went for our football and baseball teams (despite being sponsored by Nike and Fubu).

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 6:28pm
Omg tofu is disgusting. My mama often sent us off to school with breakfast before school and many times lunches of our own so I didn't have to bother with that mess much.

The food can be good and healthy.
School food tastes like prison food

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 6:29pm
First world problems. *shrug*

Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 6:34pm
On the other hand some kids all they have to really eat is that school food. I'd be pissed if they changed the only decent meal I had too.

A lot of things go on in these kids homes...

Posted By: purple.chuckz
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 6:35pm
Those parents need to go ahead and start packing bologna and butter sandwiches for their children at home. 

Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 6:37pm
Everybody loved chicken day though.
The whole vibe of the school changed on chicken day.
Kids sneaking out of class early full on revolts for class to be let out early, money changing hands, deals being made for cuts in line, Hot sauce in book bags...
It was a sight.
Damn I loved it lol

My bball teammate always sold pig feet out of her back pack on chicken day even though she wasn't supposed to.
My high school was so damn black

Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Kocoa Kocoa wrote:

gawd, I'm glad I went through the school system in the 90s. Sure, the food wasn't that healthy but not everyone can eat wheat bread (because it's disgusting) and I still can't eat tofu from NO ONE unless I make it myself. Even going to school in NYC, I rem going in on them carrot sticks, apples and oranges even though we had the round pizzas and the "goat cheese" pizzas. I always had the whole milk though, the skim was pretty much talcum powder in water.

We can't just blame the food for childhood obesity and related health issues. Growing up, I had gym at least 4x a week (and at one point 7x a week) + lunch + after school activities. Dang near everyone had the option to have something to do and somewhere to be. I remember almost right after I graduated HS, all these school programs were getting cut left and right. Hell, I remember even having to sell candy to help out our music program and the same went for our football and baseball teams (despite being sponsored by Nike and Fubu).

While many schools have cut down on gym in some way...many of these kids arent getting any physical fitness  or healthy meals at home either. Imo its not the schools responsibility to make sure that your child is providing all this without the assistance at home to make it stick. Afterschool activities exist without a schools input.
Just like education the teachers teach and the parents teach and enforce. To many parents throw their hands up on responsibility when it comes to kids now as it is...They blame the schools for not educating them for their diet for their self esteem for their lack of faith etc.
Truth be told if kids were offered the choice to go to gym 4x a week vs going to a computer lab most would go to the computer lab .  Going outside doesnt seem to be the luxury that it once was for many instead they would rather be on a social network site or playing online games. These are kids raised in a digital era and many havent been taught an alternative.

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

The whole vibe of the school changed on chicken day.
Kids sneaking out of class early full on revolts for class to be let out early, money changing hands, deals being made for cuts in line, Hot sauce in book bags...
It was a sight.
Damn I loved it lol

My bball teammate always sold pig feet out of her back pack on chicken day even though she wasn't supposed to.
My high school was so damn black country

LOL I have never in my life heard of this.  I feel bad for some of these kids because our school lunch was amazing. The tacos and fried chicken were my favorite.  On Tuesdays, the hot lunch line served Little Caesars pizza and we had a ton of healthy alternatives. 

Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 6:53pm
Lmao at the change yeah we were country

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 8:28pm
Fúck kind of gourmet sh*t were thy expecting from a public school cafeteria?

Only in America can people complain about their kids eating healthy.

Posted By: Prtybrwneye_z
Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by BrownQtee BrownQtee wrote:

Not sure what the big deal is. If you don't want your child subjected to healthy food items..then STFU and pack them a lunch. Simple. Idiots.

^ This, and I hope they won't have the nerve to complain when their kids come up with diabetes and high cholesterol before their 18th b-day. Way too many unhealthy overweight kids walking around so if they don't like the healthier school choice then prepare your own healthier alternative!

Date Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

Right? Complain your child's school meals are too healthy smh

The parents just need to fess up that they are mad it is an Obama policy and hush.

Posted By: OrriannaRose
Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 2:04am
I understand people that can't afford to pack a lunch but I highly doubt that they make up the majority of the people complaining. And considering that healthy food is usually more expensive than unhealthy junk...they should count themselves lucky.

Posted By: Omni Harmony
Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 7:36am

Some school districts dropping healthier lunch programs

A student at Eastside Elementary School in Clinton, Miss., carries out a noon meal consisting of a flat bread roast beef sandwich, apple sauce, chocolate milk and a cookie in 2012.The leaner, greener school lunches served under new federal standards are getting mixed grades from students.
AP Photo: Rogelio V. Solis

A student at Eastside Elementary School in Clinton, Miss., carries out a noon meal consisting of a flat bread roast beef sandwich, apple sauce, chocolate milk and a cookie in 2012.The leaner, greener school lunches served under new federal standards are getting mixed grades from students.

AP Carolyn Thompson of Associated Press
https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3a%2f%2fnews.msn.com%2fus%2fsome-school-districts-dropping-healthier-lunch-programs%23tscptmf&t=Some+school+districts+dropping+healthier+lunch+programs" rel="nofollow -
-
https://twitter.com/share?url=http%3a%2f%2fnews.msn.com%2fus%2fsome-school-districts-dropping-healthier-lunch-programs%23tscptmt&text=Some+school+districts+dropping+healthier+lunch+programs&original_referer=http%3a%2f%2fnews.msn.com%2fus%2fsome-school-districts-dropping-healthier-lunch-programs" rel="nofollow -
-
- tweet
mailto:?subject=Some%20school%20districts%20dropping%20healthier%20lunch%20programs&body=I%20thought%20you%20would%20be%20interested%20in%20this%20story%20I%20found%20on%20news.msn.com%3a%20Some%20school%20districts%20dropping%20healthier%20lunch%20programs%20%28http%3a%2f%2fnews.msn.com%2fus%2fsome-school-districts-dropping-healthier-lunch-programs%23tscptme%29" rel="nofollow -
-
- email
-

Schools say so many students are refusing the meals packed with whole grains, fruits and vegetables that their cafeterias were losing money.

After just one year, some schools around the country are dropping out of the healthier new federal lunch program, complaining that so many students turned up their noses at meals packed with whole grains, fruits and vegetables that the cafeterias were losing money.

Federal officials say they don't have exact numbers but have seen isolated reports of schools cutting ties with the $11 billion National School Lunch Program, which reimburses schools for meals served and gives them access to lower-priced food.

Districts that rejected the program say the reimbursement was not enough to offset losses from students who began avoiding the lunch line and bringing food from home or, in some cases, going hungry.

"Some of the stuff we had to offer, they wouldn't eat," said Catlin, Ill., Superintendent Gary Lewis, whose district saw a 10 to 12 percent drop in lunch sales, translating to $30,000 lost under the program last year.

"So you sit there and watch the kids, and you know they're hungry at the end of the day, and that led to some behavior and some lack of attentiveness."

Related: http://news.msn.com/us/heat-prompts-early-dismissals-in-midwest-schools?ocid=msnnws" rel="nofollow - Heat prompts early dismissals in Midwest schools

In upstate New York, a few districts have quit the program, including the Schenectady-area Burnt Hills Ballston Lake system, whose five lunchrooms ended the year $100,000 in the red.

Near Albany, Voorheesville Superintendent Teresa Thayer Snyder said her district lost $30,000 in the first three months. The program didn't even make it through the school year after students repeatedly complained about the small portions and apples and pears went from the tray to the trash untouched.

Districts that leave the program are free to develop their own guidelines. Voorheesville's chef began serving such dishes as salad topped with flank steak and crumbled cheese, pasta with chicken and mushrooms, and a panini with chicken, red peppers and cheese.

In Catlin, soups and fish sticks will return to the menu this year, and the hamburger lunch will come with yogurt and a banana — not one or the other, like last year.

Nationally, about 31 million students participated in the guidelines that took effect last fall under the 2010 Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act.

Dr. Janey Thornton, deputy undersecretary for USDA's Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services, which oversees the program, said she is aware of reports of districts quitting but is still optimistic about the program's long-term prospects.

"Many of these children have never seen or tasted some of the fruits and vegetables that are being served before, and it takes a while to adapt and learn," she said.

The agency had not determined how many districts have dropped out, Thornton said, cautioning that "the numbers that have threatened to drop and the ones that actually have dropped are quite different."

The School Nutrition Association found that 1 percent of 521 district nutrition directors surveyed over the summer planned to drop out of the program in the 2013-14 school year and about 3 percent were considering the move.

Not every district can afford to quit. The National School Lunch Program provides cash reimbursements for each meal served: about $2.50 to $3 for free and reduced-priced meals and about 30 cents for full-price meals. That takes the option of quitting off the table for schools with large numbers of poor youngsters.

The new guidelines set limits on calories and salt, phase in more whole grains and require that fruit and vegetables be served daily. A typical elementary school meal under the program consisted of whole-wheat cheese pizza, baked sweet potato fries, grape tomatoes with low-fat ranch dip, applesauce and 1 percent milk.

In December, the Agriculture Department, responding to complaints that kids weren't getting enough to eat, relaxed the 2-ounce-per-day limit on grains and meats while keeping the calorie limits.

At Wallace County High in Sharon Springs, Kan., football player Callahan Grund said the revision helped, but he and his friends still weren't thrilled by the calorie limits (750-850 for high school) when they had hours of calorie-burning practice after school. The idea of dropping the program has come up at board meetings, but the district is sticking with it for now.

"A lot of kids were resorting to going over to the convenience store across the block from school and kids were buying junk food," the 17-year-old said. "It was kind of ironic that we're downsizing the amount of food to cut down on obesity but kids are going and getting junk food to fill that hunger."

To make the point, Grund and his schoolmates starred last year in a music video parody of the pop hit "We Are Young." Instead, they sang, "We Are Hungry."

It was funny, but Grund's mother, Chrysanne Grund, said her anxiety was not.

"I was quite literally panicked about how we would get enough food in these kids during the day," she said, "so we resorted to packing lunches most days."

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 7:46am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

pizza day ...

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 7:59am
Wow?? That's all they're getting? And it looks nasty

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 8:20am
I was about to say the same.....the shyt looks gross.......I remember when they added all baked chips to the vending machine.......I was pissed....

Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 10:25am

It's not downsizing the portion.  It is the normal portions that we should eat at a meal to sustain.  You do not need a supersize it at school.   Goes to show that it's not the school/lunch but kids just want to eat junk food (from the 17 year old kid himself).

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 11:54am
*Reads article*

Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by QueenBee QueenBee wrote:

It's not downsizing the portion.  It is the normal portions that we should eat at a meal to sustain.  You do not need a supersize it at school.   Goes to show that it's not the school/lunch but kids just want to eat junk food (from the 17 year old kid himself).

this. if you give them a lot of food, won't the kids fall asleep?

And this entire article also makes me think, how lazy can a parent be? If you  know your kids likes to eat a lot why not pack him a lunch. This is something the parents can work around if they really wanted to. 

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 12:13pm
Those rotten lil ingrate pickneys crackas threw PEARS IN THE TRASH?!

Oooooooooooooo.......let me get my pear lovin ass up out this thread.  Censored

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

It said Clinton, MS....we (MS) need to be eating healthier! LOLLOL If it's not coated in grease or deep fried they don't want it. Mississippi is the last state that needs to be complaining about healthy foods. Oh and I notice that only certain.....types of people are complaining about this here. Stern SmileStern SmileStern Smile

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 5:55pm
didnt read the comments

but Harlan Co is full of backwoods, fat hillbilies, so if it was Bush that switched it over, it might be less of a problem. its a sundown town

and also, this is the place where multiple babies have been fed sausage gravy from the bottle, so they dont know what real, healthy food tastes like from birth

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 5:59pm
but really school lunches won't get better until schools can spend more per pupil and* quit doing stupid things like saying tomato paste is counted as a vegetable.

*sorry, i meant the govt and congress specifically. not the actual schools.

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 6:05pm
What yall seeing that looks nasty? Its a pita with roast beef  cheese,apple sauce milk and a cookie..I mean you can actually identify everything on the damn plate...lol they betta put some mayo on that pita and sitthehelldown some where....
this looks better?

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and that slice would be considered a "Good" slice cause the cheese is still attached

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by OrriannaRose OrriannaRose wrote:

It said Clinton, MS....we (MS) need to be eating healthier! LOLLOL If it's not coated in grease or deep fried they don't want it. Mississippi is the last state that needs to be complaining about healthy foods. Oh and I notice that only certain.....types of people are complaining about this here. Stern SmileStern SmileStern Smile

What type of people Geek Do you mean large people?

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

What yall seeing that looks nasty? Its a pita with roast beef  cheese,apple sauce milk and a cookie..I mean you can actually identify everything on the damn plate...lol they betta put some mayo on that pita and sitthehelldown some where....
this looks better?

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and that slice would be considered a "Good" slice cause the cheese is still attached

You can't tell me that this looks appetizing lol

It looks like prison food...I wouldn't want to eat it. It doesn't look like much effort was put into it.

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 8:49pm

What type of people Geek Do you mean large people?

I c u BB.LOL

I believe yt folk.

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 9:01pm
LOL LOL boooooo I really thought she meant fat ppl

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 9:11pm
Not this thread. BHM is being good right now.LOL

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 9:18pm
LOLLunch food for the most part has never looked appetizing... Even so I dont think it looks gross just dry... but this aint top chef .... throw a mint leaf on that apple sauce and sit der fancy choice azz down Sleepy

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 9:26pm
We use to eat hot dogs deep fried in tortillas for lunch. The pita bread sandwich looked like something from a 5 star restaurant.

Plus it is Kentucky! Burgoo aka roadkill stew is a delicacy.

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 9:33pm
Fortunately my school lunches didn't look like that lol I do admit we had unhealthy food but we also had a nice salad bar.

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 9:34pm
one of the popular dishes in grade school was pork n beans with chopped hot dogs in it and a cornbread muffin.....and hot pockets...we got hot pockets before they were known as hot pockets and those McRibs as well..lol

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 9:35pm
lmao! Y'all were living it up gkisses.

Y'all were eating generic heat pouches.LOL

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 9:40pm
Thank you CC. BBpants you ain't slick!

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 9:46pm
The food on that other menu doesn't look healthy either. .
is it really that hard not to serve processed foods? Why does he have 2 dairies and no vegetables?

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 9:48pm
They served fresh butter cookies in my cafeteria. . You could by them for a quarter. ..I want one now

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

lmao! Y'all were living it up gkisses.

Y'all were eating generic heat pouches.LOL

lmfao  older bullies would steal em off ur tray if u wasn't paying attention.. it was serious...LOL

Oh the lunch tales... still proud moment that I actually participated in a food fight
(in HSStern Smile)

Glorrrry dayssssss

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 10:01pm

Thank you CC. BBpants you ain't slick!

My bad LOL

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 10:02pm
Oooo what was the food fight like?Big smile

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

this...even tho I ain't supposed to be drinking any type of milk anyways.LOL *eats cereal* 

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 10:08pm
brings back memories.   Rib B'que day was the sh*t.  You couldn't even trade your capri sun and tater tots for one of those.

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Oooo what was the food fight like?Big smile

Twas awesome til a chick got hit in the face with an apple....It was like slow motion... tables were flipped on their sides...dashing across the room felt like American gladiators assault challenge....  but that one mofo just had to go big always mess up a good time by being extra....lol because no one told who threw the apple everyone in that lunch period lost lunch for 2 months.

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 10:39pm
LOL@ American Gladiators.

An apple tho? Smh! Hey, at least y'all didn't have any snitches in the lunch fight.

Date Posted: Sep 06 2013 at 1:05pm
Saw this on the news today. Us colored folks ain't complaining yet...

Department of Education serving more nutritious lunches this school year

Originally published: September 5, 2013 9:46 AM
Updated: September 5, 2013 12:22 PM

Public school students will receive meals packed with fresh fruits and veggies. (9/5/13)

Numbers & Links

School Lunches

https://www.applyforlunch.com/" rel="nofollow - Apply For Lunch

BROOKLYN - It's nearly back-to-school time for the city's public school students and News 12 is giving you a virtual taste of what to expect in the cafeteria.

The Department of Education is changing up the menu this school year, making fresh fruits and veggies a top priority on your children's plates.

DOE Executive Chef Jorge Collazo says kids will be getting plenty of leafy greens, carrots, cucumbers and sweet potatoes, along with meaty favorites such as chicken sandwiches, chicken on the bone, and even rice and beans with plantains.Cool

READ MORE: http://brooklyn.news12.com/1.4264561" rel="nofollow - Education Stories

Collazo says that the foods will not only be delicious, but also nutritious with whole grains and low saturated fats.

The public school system will serve about 860,000 plates five days a week. Each lunch will cost $1.75, a 25-cent increase from last school year, but parents can still apply to receive free or discounted meals. 

Date Posted: Sep 06 2013 at 1:30pm
This looks better!

Date Posted: Sep 06 2013 at 1:30pm
That looks good.....So are they like catering to the ethnic groups or popular dishes within each region? I do think it would be more effective to have healthier versions of food kids would typically see at home...in addition to some new things they may not have had before.... I like it!

Posted By: morenaloca
Date Posted: Sep 06 2013 at 3:27pm
I've met plenty of people from places that do not offer free school lunches or even free school at all.
This isn't a big deal. 

Print Page | Close Window