Print Page | Close Window

Swiss apologize for encounter Oprah calls racist

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=363199
Printed Date: Sep 19 2017 at 9:43pm

Topic: Swiss apologize for encounter Oprah calls racist
Posted By: bindy
Subject: Swiss apologize for encounter Oprah calls racist
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:34pm

GENEVA (AP) — Switzerland is a glamorous playground of the rich and famous, filled with glitterati from princes to movie stars. It's also a land with a sometimes uneasy relationship with foreigners — especially when they aren't white.

Billionaire media mogul Oprah Winfrey says she ran into Swiss racism when a clerk at Trois Pommes, a pricey Zurich boutique, refused to show her a $38,000 handbag, telling one of the world's richest women that she wouldn't be able to afford it. Winfrey earned $77 million in the year ending in June, according to Forbes magazine.

"She said: 'No, no, no, you don't want to see that one. You want to see this one. Because that one will cost too much; you will not be able to afford that,'" Winfrey, appearing on the U.S. television program "Entertainment Tonight," quoted the clerk as saying. "And I said, 'Well, I did really want to see that one.' And she refused to get it."

She brought up the incident during an interview about her new movie, "Lee Daniels' The Butler," which opens next week and focuses on civil rights and race relations in the U.S. She was asked to open up about her own experiences with discrimination.

Swiss tourism officials and the boutique owner were quick to offer apologies Friday.

"We are very sorry for what happened to her, of course, because we think all of our guests and clients should be treated respectfully, in a professional way," Daniela Baer, a spokeswoman for the Swiss tourism office, told The Associated Press.

The tourism office also posted an apology on Twitter, saying, "This person acted terribly wrong."

The newspaper Blick described the bag as a crocodile-leather Tom Ford design named for actressJennifer Aniston, a fan of the American designer. It quoted Goetz as saying the bag was priced at 35,000 Swiss francs.

Boutique owner Trudie Goetz told Swiss public broadcaster SRF that she believed the incident was a misunderstanding when the store clerk, who is mainly an Italian speaker, explained how expensive the bag was.

"I'm very sorry about this incident," Goetz said. "And this can only happen because of a communication problem and a misunderstanding.

"The shop assistant apparently asked her (Oprah) if she would like to see the bag, but she apparently said 'No, I just want to look'. And then she (Oprah) asked how much the bag costs and she (the employee) told her how much the bag was."

Goetz added that "I believe she rather said something like 'we have some less expensive' — 'we also have some less expensive bags' and not 'it's too expensive for you.' "

Winfrey was in Switzerland to attend the wedding of her longtime friend Tina Turner, who has lived in Zurich for many years and has been quoted saying how much she enjoys living among the Swiss. Turner was granted a passport earlier this year, a process that typically takes years.

Goetz, who was photographed at Turner's wedding, stressed that the Oprah incident "has nothing to do with racism — really. Tina Turner is one of my best friends and it's out of the question (that this has anything to do with racism)."

About 23 percent of Switzerland's 8 million residents are non-Swiss, and the country earned more than $39 billion from tourism in 2011.

Last year, though, a government-appointed commission reported that immigrants, tourists, asylum-seekers and "people of a different skin color" can encounter "xenophobia and racism in certain areas of life."

The nationalistic Swiss People's Party, which has the largest number of seats in the federal parliament, has won support through claims that immigrants can bring crime and social problems to a country that has been an oasis of stability even in Europe's darkest days.

In recent years, the People's Party has successfully campaigned to ban the construction of minarets in a country that has about 400,000 Muslims, and to tighten the nation's asylum law. Swiss lawmakers also narrowly rejected a proposal to ban veils worn by some Muslim women in public.

And this week, a row broke out over plans to bar asylum-seekers living in the small town of Bremgarten from visiting public swimming pools and attending schools.

Human Rights Watch said the agreement by the Swiss migration office to let the town impose "house rules" to limit access to schools and sports facilities violates international law.

It wasn't the first time Winfrey has taken issue with treatment at a ritzy European boutique. In 2005, she was turned away from a Hermes shop in Paris 15 minutes after closing time. The store said it was closed for a private event.

A Hermes executive appeared on Winfrey's talk show to apologize for the "rigid and rude" behavior of the employee. Winfrey complimented Hermes on its response — including sensitivity training for employees — and urged viewers to buy the company's products.

In "The Butler," Winfrey plays the wife of a butler who is a witness to history, from the cotton fields of Georgia to the White House. It is based loosely on the career of Eugene Allen, a black man who served as a White House butler from the Eisenhower through Reagan administrations.

During the TV interview, Winfrey said that "true racism is about being able to have power over somebody else," and that she sometimes encounters it along with sexism in boardrooms. Then she recounted the incident in Zurich while she went shopping alone.

"Obviously, 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' is not shown in Zurich. So this doesn't happen to me unless somebody obviously doesn't know that it's me," she said.

A spokesman for Zurich's tourist office, Christian Trottmann, called the incident "very regrettable" and said it obviously hurts the image of a friendly, world-class city accustomed to different cultures.

"We are inviting her to come back to Zurich and have fun here," he said, "so she can see how open-minded this city really is."

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/swiss-apologize-encounter-oprah-calls-racist-171036360.html" rel="nofollow - http://tv.yahoo.com/news/swiss-apologize-encounter-oprah-calls-racist-171036360.html

Replies:
Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:38pm
i didn't read the whole article, but i hope she didn't purchase anything

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:38pm
Billionaire but the world will not let you forget who you are.......

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:40pm
thanks for the more info.

How ironic that the bag that O couldn't afford was named after JAniston, with JA and O being  'friends.'  I wonder if she will call Jen and tell her about how they refused to even let her touch her/JA's hand bag.

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by femmefatale85 femmefatale85 wrote:

i didn't read the whole article, but i hope she didn't purchase anything

she didn't. 

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:42pm
Oprah said: "I was in Zurich the other day, in a store whose name I will not mention. I didn't have my eyelashes on, but I was in full Oprah Winfrey gear. I had my little Donna Karan skirt and my little sandals. But obviously The Oprah Winfrey Show is not shown in Zurich.

"I go into a store and I say to the woman, 'Excuse me, may I see the bag right above your head?' and she says to me, 'No. It's too expensive.'"

Swiss newspaper Blick reported that the owner of the upmarket shop, Trudie Goetz, had apologised, saying the incident was due to "a misunderstanding" caused by the assistant's failure to recognise Winfrey.DisapproveConfused

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/497983/20130809/oprah-winfrey-racism-swiss-shop-handbag-expensive.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/497983/20130809/oprah-winfrey-racism-swiss-shop-handbag-expensive.htm

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

this

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:44pm
hmm...

am i ignorant to believe that maybe it really was a language issue?

who doesnt know who oprah is?
i might be ignorant..

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:45pm
The absolute worse thing that they could have done

is to imply Oprah is lying

they have zero people and Oprah has millions on millions of people, much less dollars

they didn't realize Paula Deening the situation will not work

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:47pm
she keeps getting nigguh checked

lol

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:47pm
now if all the other coons get reminders

the council would be good

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:53pm
that clerk does that to people all day ... it didn't even dawn on her that someone that looked like Oprah was really rich and famous

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:53pm
ironically the clerk couldn't afford the bag as priced either

Posted By: K_Camille
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:54pm
I don't like the way they're trying to say this was a communication issue and misunderstanding..Ermm

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

Goetz, who was photographed at Turner's wedding, stressed that the Oprah incident "has nothing to do with racism — really. Tina Turner is one of my best friends and it's out of the question (that this has anything to do with racism)."
omg!! i see global crackas love this line too!! !!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:58pm
Reminds me of an episode of A Different World with Whitley in the Jewelry store... but she cashed out then ended up taking it all back...LOL I loved that show.

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by K_Camille K_Camille wrote:

I don't like the way they're trying to say this was a communication issue and misunderstanding..Ermm

right! you're a sales clerk, someone points at a purse in the store...i don't care if you're deaf, dumb and mute, you understand what the hell they're asking. there is no miscommunication in that. 

they think we stupid or something?

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:05pm
i like how this has become a diplomatic crisis sort of

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:11pm
Trudie Goetz the store manager

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:12pm
Thats one leathery ass white woman

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

right! you're a sales clerk, someone points at a purse in the store...i don't care if you're deaf, dumb and mute, you understand what the hell they're asking. there is no miscommunication in that. 

right. And she's working on commission too...  if she's that bad with communicating she had better brush up quick.

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:15pm

is this the one who refused O?

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:17pm
exactly, purp.

i'd love for one of bhm's resident white pacifists to conjure up a scenario where a misunderstanding could be possible in a case like this. come on. humor us. printerink?

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

is this the one who refused O?
she probably though oprah was 12 compared to her wrinkled ass

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

i swear the entire article was written around that statementLOL  i bet this the first time Tina Turner learned that she wasnt blending in.

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:22pm
I think I missed the apology.

Tina would rather be the black best friend of a wrinkled up white racist prune than to admit she is actually part of the African American community.

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:25pm

LOL

Also dislike that this can't possibly be an incident of racism because Tina Turner is her best friend.  The hell? 

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:27pm

right. And she's working on commission too...  if she's that bad with communicating she had better brush up quick.

All I took from this is the clerk will not be fired.

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:36pm
they're only apologizing b/c it's Oprah and they don't want anymore backlash.

meanwhile, they are barring asylum seekers (mainly from Africa) from basically everything.

Ermm

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:39pm

to ALL of the above-- i'm sayin!! her only excuse would probably be being blind. language aside, i'm fairly sure we all know who oprah is (whether we'd like to or not). 

the swiss need to get they mind right and their sh!t together.

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

i swear the entire article was written around that statementLOL  i bet this the first time Tina Turner learned that she wasnt blending in.
!!!

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:41pm
that's the owner not the clerk

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:45pm
LOL @ neka. now if they had helen keller working the sales floor, THEN i might buy the miscommunication excuse lol

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:46pm

DeadLOL

i just had a terrible thought about what o could have said about her leathery skin...Ouch

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:51pm

LOL @ neka. now if they had helen keller working the sales floor, THEN i might buy the miscommunication excuse lol
pretty much. i don't buy not knowing who oprah is. 

*shrug*

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:58pm
lol  @ it being a misunderstanding.

Nah. The clerk knew exactly what she was doing.

I don't know why people buy expensive bags like that anyway....

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 6:33pm
I heard on the news radio that the store was recently robbed by some blacks and that the clerk was scared ...That is why she was ambivalent to helping Queen Oprah

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 6:38pm
but of course Rumbera ... that kind of statement is about as cliche as the miscommunication excuse

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 6:51pm

Isnt Tina Turner a high ranking member of the coon council, tho?

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 6:51pm
And yet how many of them say they are tired of us citing old racist whites for what happens now. They say that was so long ago and only a few. Funny they don't want to be judged for the sins of someone else but they stay judging every black they encounter as a potential criminal. Knowing damn well we are not beating down the doors for that crap.

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 6:52pm
Paul Mooney has a skit about this........

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

not sure of rank, but, sadly, she has been deemed a coon. 

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

a founding member i believe

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 7:21pm
That's a piss poor excuse either way. Selling ish is her job. Whether she knew who Oprah was or not, if someone comes in the store asking about an item, do your fukcin job.

If you think she can't afford it, just cuss her out in your head like every other salesperson does.

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by ShadyLady ShadyLady wrote:

That's a piss poor excuse either way. Selling ish is her job. Whether she knew who Oprah was or not, if someone comes in the store asking about an item, do your fukcin job.

If you think she can't afford it, just cuss her out in your head like every other salesperson does.
touche--all of the above is totally true. 

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 8:02pm
While Oprah acting brand new they did this to her at Barneys in NY.......but in their defense she aint have on a stitch of makeup...........

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 8:11pm
See the video in the link. The store owner speaks at the 55 seconds mark.

I am unable to embed the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ_jBm6kyn8" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ_jBm6kyn8

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 8:21pm
thing is this is what racism is ... it can happen to any black person

doesn't matter how you dress, how you act, what makeup you wear

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 8:36pm
LOL

All the green in the world a'int washing the black off......smh

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 8:46pm
ugh.

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 8:46pm
reason #4928592 why I don't f*ck with white people.

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

hmm...

am i ignorant to believe that maybe it really was a language issue?

who doesnt know who oprah is?
i might be ignorant..

yes.

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Az~Maverick Az~Maverick wrote:

LOL

All the green in the world a'int washing the black off......smh

I wish the ignorance would wash off

leave the black just like it is

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 9:00pm
^^I doubt it was a language issue. Generally speaking English is currently the language of world wide commerce. I'm sure this is not the first time an English speaking person patronized that store.

If Oprah pointed and gestured to see the bag the sales clerk should have realized that Oprah wanted to see the bag.

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 9:05pm
It wasn't a language issue. Somewhere Rae Dawn Chong is laughing her behind off. Didn't Oprah have another incident in Australia where they had those racist black dolls in their store and she refused to film in their shop?

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 9:44pm
Well, it looks like Marie aka  http://dlisted.com/2008/07/09/hot-slut-of-the-day-27035/" rel="nofollow - Snobby Saleswoman #2  from Pretty Woman learned a whole lot of Italian with Rosetta Stone and moved to Zurich to spread her signature bitchy snobbery there.

The most powerful woman IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE, Oprah, says that while she was in Zurich for Tina Turner’s wedding, she decided to do just a little casual shopping and she strolled into a fancy store called Trois Pomme. The salesgirl at Trois Pomme obviously didn’t know that Oprah’s a woman whose pubes are worth more than that entire store, because she treated her like some common, regular peasant. Oprah brought up the story while talking to  http://www.etonline.com/news/136849_Oprah_on_Being_a_Recent_Victim_of_Racism/" rel="nofollow - Entertainment Tonight’sNancy O’Dell  about racism.

When Nancy asked The Mighty O if anybody’s ever been racist to her, she said not blatantly, but that when she went to Trois Pomme and asked to see a $40,000 bag, the Snobby Saleswoman pulled some “it’s VERY expensive” sh*t on her and tried to sell her some cheaper bags instead. Oprah says that she wasn’t slathered in diamonds, but she wasn’t dressed like a regular Kristen Stewart either. Oprah kept trying to get the Snobby Saleswoman to show her that bag, but the Snobby Saleswoman kept turning her down and that bitch finally said, “I can’t, I don’t want to hurt your feelings.” Knowing that she could probably buy that store and buy Snobby Saleswoman’s house and burn them all down to the ground while cackling into the night air, Oprah smiled and said, “You’re right, I probably can’t afford it,” before busting out of there.

Gayle King told Oprah that she should’ve went back and told that ho, “Big mistake. HUGE,” but she didn’t want to do that.

The store’s owner, Trudie Gotz, told the  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23633768" rel="nofollow - BBC  that it was all just a misunderstanding. Snobby Saleswoman isn’t a racist and wasn’t treating Oprah like that because she’s black. Trudie said that Oprah just wanted to see the bag and not touch it. That makes zero sense, but it’s the story Trudie stuck to. The BBC asked Trudie if she was breaking the Eleventh Commandment by calling Oprah a liar, but she didn’t answer. Trudie says that Snobby Saleswoman mostly speaks Italian and her English isn’t so good. Trudie isn’t going to fire her.

The Swiss tourism office  http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/oprah-swiss-apology-racist-encounter-19913434" rel="nofollow - said that  Snobby Saleswoman acted terribly wrong and that “we are very sorry for what happened to [Oprah].” The Swiss tourism office continued to apologize to Oprah by skinning that salesgirl alive and turning her into a bag for The Mighty O!

From Michael K at Dlisted.^^^^^^ I had me rolling!!!

Posted By: Jess
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

she keeps getting nigguh checked

lol
LOL.  I thought "Again?"

This is just like the Hermes incident in Paris.

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 10:29pm
They're apologizing only because she is rich.

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 10:38pm
Rush Limbaugh Calls Oprah Fat
Via HuffPo reports:

Here is how Rush Limbaugh tried to explain away Oprah’s encounter with a woman who refused to sell her a handbag in Switzerland — an encounter widely viewed as tinged with racism:

“Maybe it’s because the Oprah’s fat! … Look, don’t most people think that the fat and the obese are poor and stupid?”

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 10:43pm
He fat......

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 10:52pm

He fat......
and a drug addict 

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

I don't even think it's that she's rich, but more so that she has clout and a platform to effect their business.

They world give no fukcs if Boomquisha from the hood won the lottery, came in their store, and got treated like that.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 11:14pm

He fat......
and a drug addict 
And impotent.

Date Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

He fat......
and a drug addict 
And impotent.

and a law breaker

Posted By: Lonisha87
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 12:16am
Kinda seems like a half apology, like yeah sorry you went through that but chu lyin. And the second issue about being turned away from Hermes 15 minutes after closing gets no sympathy. Just cuz you Oprah doesn't mean you get special treatment EVERYWHERE

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 12:22am

He fat......
and a drug addict 
And impotent.

and a law breaker
and divorced 4x. Over here ruining the sanctity of marriage.

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 12:24am
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

He fat......
and a drug addict 
And impotent.

and a law breaker

uhmm this is enough for me to read the thread LOL

Rush Limp ... no I take that ish back 

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 12:27am
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

He fat......
and a drug addict 
And impotent.

and a law breaker

and a lying cheater

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 12:53am
^^^And now that officially belongs in the lol thread. But I am too lazy to post it there. Sadness.

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 1:50am
!!! 

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 2:38am
If Rush didn't have money, he'd be that creepy old guy that lives in a trailer that smells of old stale cigarettes, a confederate flag on his rusty pick up truck and an old dirty looking dog in the back.

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 3:00am
Originally posted by ShadyLady ShadyLady wrote:

Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

I don't even think it's that she's rich, but more so that she has clout and a platform to effect their business.

They world give no fukcs if Boomquisha from the hood won the lottery, came in their store, and got treated like that.

I believe they are byproducts of her wealth, but you are correct, that analogy concretes your point!

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 3:02am
i only give oprah credit for not going for the 'im oprah' bitch routine

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 3:41am
I didn't read the whole thing but are they sayin' Oprah is a lie?

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 3:49am
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

I heard on the news radio that the store was recently robbed by some blacks and that the clerk was scared ...That is why she was ambivalent to helping Queen Oprah

Gurl please.LOL I need video receipts and paperwork.

but at the same time....was it a language misunderstanding or was the girl scurred cause "they got robbed?"  They're just coming up with all kinds of excuses.

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 5:31am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

Rush Limbaugh Calls Oprah Fat
Via HuffPo reports:

Here is how Rush Limbaugh tried to explain away Oprah’s encounter with a woman who refused to sell her a handbag in Switzerland — an encounter widely viewed as tinged with racism:

“Maybe it’s because the Oprah’s fat! … Look, don’t most people think that the fat and the obese are poor and stupid?”

why does he keep calling her 'the Oprah?'...this man is despicable

He is trying to insult and dehumanize her. He is not referring to her as a person but as a thing. Kinda like "the chair" , "the computer", "the book".....

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 6:06am
Geesh, have any of ya'll ever BEEN to Switzerland? I have.

In fact I have been working and living in Europe for almost 15 years .. where my job sends me to about 12 European countries for work and yes, even when people 'speak English' GOOD GRIEF do they misunderstand what you are saying and ... you misunderstand what they are saying. Shocked

I remember when I first moved here and I would come home from work and ask my bf 'Hi, how are yoü doing?' and he would turn up his face and shrug. I thought that was odd.That went on for a while.. until one day he got mad and said 'What does it matter how_I_am_doing_my_things'.  Why do you want to know how I do things! All mad at me.. Ahhhh.

So then I had to explain 'How are you doing' is just an expression ..  like 'Good Day'. But he was getting upset that I kept asking him how_he_was_doing ...he thought ..his things.Unhappy

I used to come home flop down on the sofa and say 'I'M POOPED!" That used to make him wince too .. until he asked why I keep talking about my private toliet issues when I sit on the couch! So then I had to explain that the expression 'I'M POOPED' just means .. I am tired. Smile

Now these are smallll language gaps .. but I have had a lot of them.

Ah .... I went to buy some flowers and I said 'I want those'.  The lady says 'Oh these are EXPENSIVE' with a shocked look. I was so pi**** .. because I said I want them anyway .. and then she looked offended and rang me up. That has happened in several stores for a while ... used to p*** me off.

Then one day I was shopping with a friend and it happened to her! I said - 'WHY DO these people act like what you want is EXPENSIVE like that ... as if you can't afford it!"

She explained .. oh that's because the Dutch are cheap and they think it's important they tell to so you can watch what you spend - so they try to warn you!

Ahhh so from that point on - when I pick out something and someone says 'Oh this is too expensive!' I don't take offense anymore. I just say something like 'Oh I realize it's very expensive but I want to treat myself today.' Then they smile and say .. that is good for you and we start talking about how women never treat themselves etc so then it is a nice exchange. But I don't take offenense anymore because see they were not trying to put me down.

This kind of stuff happens soooo much so now I am very careful how I use my English and I try to understand what people are saying to me BEHIND the words .. because in my experience people are not putting you down. They are just expressing themselves in English but the nuances etc can make it seem like an insult if you are Black and from America where people DO PURPOSELY say mean things because you are Black.

I am NOT SAYING this what happened to Oprah while she was in that store because I was not there!!

What I AM saying is that ... using English to people that are not native English speakers DOES indeed cause a lot of misunderstandings! You just have to be exposed enough to other cultures to REALIZE this so then you use your words carefully and watch their faces carefully when they speak English so that you understand and don't take things the wrong way. If what they say sounds odd/rude .. I repeat it back try to clarify ... then they will come back and say it a little differentt and so forth.

You really have to watch people's faces and expression to understand what they are trying to say - even in English.

btw- 99% of Swiss TV is not American/English speaking at all .... so I doubt if the average Swiss person would know who she is.

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 6:17am
I eye rolled at that half ass non-apology. Of course that store clerk knew English, it happened in damn Zurich. Banking capital of the world (and boring city to visit). She knew English but was just a racist asshole.
Best bet if Patty Hearst walked in there they would speak perfect English.

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

In fact I have been working and living in Europe for almost 15 years .. where my job sends me to about 12 European countries for work and yes, even when people 'speak English' GOOD GRIEF do they misunderstand what you are saying and ... you misunderstand what they are saying. Shocked

I remember when I first moved here and I would come home from work and ask my bf 'Hi, how are yoü doing?' and he would turn up his face and shrug. I thought that was odd.That went on for a while.. until one day he got mad and said 'What does it matter how_I_am_doing_my_things'.  Why do you want to know how I do things! All mad at me.. Ahhhh.

So then I had to explain 'How are you doing' is just an expression ..  like 'Good Day'. But he was getting upset that I kept asking him how_he_was_doing ...he thought ..his things.Unhappy

I used to come home flop down on the sofa and say 'I'M POOPED!" That used to make him wince too .. until he asked why I keep talking about my private toliet issues when I sit on the couch! So then I had to explain that the expression 'I'M POOPED' just means .. I am tired. Smile

Ah .... I went to buy some flowers and I said 'I want those'.  The lady says 'Oh these are EXPENSIVE' with a shocked look. I was so pi**** .. because I said I want them anyway .. and then she looked offended and rang me up. That has happened in several stores for a while ... used to p*** me off.

Then one day I was shopping with a friend and it happened to her! I said - 'WHY DO these people act like what you want is EXPENSIVE like that ... as if you can't afford it!"

She explained .. oh that's because the Dutch are cheap and they think it's important they tell to so you can watch what you spend - so they try to warn you!

Ahhh so from that point on - when I pick out something and someone says 'Oh this is too expensive!' I don't take offense anymore. I just say something like 'Oh I realize it's very expensive but I want to treat myself today.' Then they smile and say .. that is good for you and we start talking about how women never treat themselves etc so then it is a nice exchange. But I don't take offenense anymore because see they were not trying to put me down.

This kind of stuff happens soooo much so now I am very careful how I use my English and I try to understand what people are saying to me BEHIND the words .. because in my experience people are not putting you down. They are just expressing themselves in English but the nuances etc can make it seem like an insult if you are Black and from America where people DO PURPOSELY say mean things because you are Black.

I am NOT SAYING this what happened to Oprah while she was in that store because I was not there!!

What I AM saying is that ... using English to people that are not native English speakers DOES indeed cause a lot of misunderstandings! You just have to be exposed enough to other cultures to REALIZE this so then you use your words carefully and watch their faces carefully when they speak English so that you understand and don't take things the wrong way. If what they say sounds odd/rude .. I repeat it back try to clarify ... then they will come back and say it a little differentt and so forth.

You really have to watch people's faces and expression to understand what they are trying to say - even in English.

btw- 99% of Swiss TV is not American/English speaking at all .... so I doubt if the average Swiss person would know who she is.

ive been to basel a few times in the past

they hear you just fine!!

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 6:54am

lol did you use to date this guy......

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 7:23am
Printer_Ink, do shuddup.  You act like you're the only person abroad who has this magical know-how with foreigners, especially white people--your people.  Bottom line.  Oprah wanted to see a purse, the woman wouldn't serve her.  This is a customer service issue with possibly racist, definitely classist undertones.  Get over yourself.

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 7:41am

Printer Ink, while your stories of miscommunication are hilarious, I doubt very very much that anything like this was involved when Oprah wanted to look at that bag. This was a luxury goods shop that serves an upscale clientele. Things are supposed to be expensive. Therefore, it's more likely that she assumed that Oprah could not afford it and refused to show her that bag, just like she said. And on top of that, the clerk was Italian? I remember trying to shop in Italy and the dirty looks I kept getting. This was not a intra-cultural misunderstanding.

Posted By: zsazsa
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 9:05am
Europe is so racist. Swiss takes the boat though. They're openly racist. 

Here is another recent gem from them. 

Swiss introduce apartheid-like restrictions: Local authorities ban asylum seekers from public places

Refugees prohibited from 'loitering' in playgrounds or visiting swimming pools and libraries

Switzerland’s local authorities have introduced draconian restrictions which ban asylum-seekers from frequenting public places such as school playgrounds, swimming pools and libraries in a move angrily denounced by human rights groups as intolerable and racist.

In the town of Bremgarten west of Zurich, where a new centre for asylum-seekers opened last month, officials said refugees would not be allowed to “loiter” in school playgrounds and would be banned from visiting public swimming pools, playing fields and a church. A total of 32 “exclusion zones” have been drawn up.

Raymond Tellenbach, the town’s mayor, told the German broadcaster ARD: “We have decided on security grounds not to allow access to these areas, to prevent conflict and guard against possible drug use.”

Mario Gattiker, the head of Switzerland’s Federal Office of Immigration which endorsed the apartheid-style restrictions, justified the move to journalists saying: “We need rules to ensure a peaceful and orderly coexistence of residents and asylum-seekers.”

However a spokesman for Switzerland’s non-governmental Refugee Council described the restraining orders as “intolerable and inhuman” and demanded that the authorities suspend the measures. “It is up to the authorities to create an atmosphere of openness,” the spokesman added. The human rights group Solidarité Sans Frontières said the restrictions were “blatantly discriminatory.” However Roman Staub, the mayor of the nearby town of Menzingen said he fully supported banning asylum-seekers from the vicinity of schools: “This is certainly a very difficult area, because here asylum-seekers could meet our schoolchildren – young girls our young boys,” he remarked.

Switzerland plays host to almost double the number of asylum-seekers per head of population of its European neighbours. It counts one refugee for every 332 inhabitants, compared to one per 625 inhabitants on the rest of the continent. Some 48,000 refugees are currently seeking asylum in Switzerland. In June this year voters took part in a referendum which overwhelmingly backed moves to tighten asylum restrictions amid fears voiced by the popular right-wing Swiss People’s Party that the country was being inundated with refugees.

The new rules stipulate that military desertion is no longer a reason for claiming asylum. Would-be refugees can also no longer apply for asylum through Swiss foreign embassies.

The growing refugee population has obliged Swiss local authorities to seek new ways of accommodating asylum-seekers. Several Swiss army mountain bunkers have been decommissioned and turned into refugee centres.

Critics point out that most of the bunkers are miles away from human habitation and that under current rules resident refugees are subjected to a curfew which forbids them from leaving the premises after 5pm. 

Some Swiss politicians have nevertheless complained that the presence of asylum-seekers in remote Alpine regions could have a negative impact on the tourist industry.

Posted By: zsazsa
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 9:07am
Cocoa 

but how often is racism dismissed because it was not obvious no racist language was used

Oprah does not need to make headlines, she knows this will be controversial and she will be accused of being over sensitive so i am quite sure she understood what was going on as she will have experienced this before

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 9:14am

Even if you in a benz you still a nicca in a coupe- Kanye

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 9:17am
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=5z0RMQzGHuTlLM&tbnid=TLiIyjbK2XkqwM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgifsoup.com%2Fview%2F1923957%2Fbrandy-smh.html&ei=C0sGUongBJKo4AO894HgAg&bvm=bv.50500085,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNFzovPirMGuV_DSg3q2XVLmH4b-Lg&ust=1376230469799285" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 9:23am
I'm genuinely confused as to how a human being can hate another or refuse another just for the way they look. Just for having darker skin and textured hair? Really? That's why? I mean on a primary and physical level is that what it is for them?

I would love for all of them to fall off the planet right this moment, but it's not because they have leas melanin than I do. So what is it for them? We haven't done anything to them so..what gives?

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 9:26am

lol did you use to date this guy......

I legit lol'd.

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 9:37am
@Printer..

I understand that there are language nuances.  Anybody who has traveled from one side of the U.S. to the other knows this.  U don't have to go to foreign countries to realize this. However, this was not the case here.  Oprah had to repeatedly ask to see the bag.  If it was a matter of what you're saying the woman would have informed Oprah "it's so expensive", Oprah would have then indicated she still wanted to see the bag.  After that exchange the woman would have then proceeded to do her job and sell Oprah the bag.

Alluh what u typed was unnecessary since that's not what happened.  You might have had a chance if u had given a story where shop owners are known to go back and forth with the customer in regards to them having enough money to actually shop in their store.

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 9:45am
I know that this is not what u intended bindy but I watched more Flula.  "Balls to the wall"...Cry

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 12:37pm
I REFUSE to believe that any high end store selling $35k bags, doesn't have any English speaking employees. Stores like that alway have multiple people speaking various languages especiallyin Europe. Walk into Hermes and start speaking Japanese I bet they'll have a sales rep that can understand and make that sell.

Posted By: Nijjah25
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 1:05pm
printer ink..shut up... thanks

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 1:41pm

I REFUSE to believe that any high end store selling $35k bags, doesn't have any English speaking employees. Stores like that alway have multiple people speaking various languages especiallyin Europe. Walk into Hermes and start speaking Japanese I bet they'll have a sales rep that can understand and make that sell.
in switzerland of all places, where you have a ridiculous amount of millionaires (foreign) per capita than any other country in the world.

cant speak english my arse

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 1:57pm

in switzerland of all places, where you have a ridiculous amount of millionaires (foreign) per capita than any other country in the world.

cant speak english my arse

Exactly!

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 2:06pm

Posted By: MzCaliky
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 2:07pm
You guys are so rude. Not that I agree but printerink is allowed to have an opinion without being jumped on. Most of the people jumping probably have not even traveled overseas as extensively as she has. I'm pretty sure it went down the way Oprah said but that doesn't mean you guys have to treat printerink like that. Sometimes you all are so immature. That sh*t gets old. If you don't jump on the bandwag on people start talking out the side of their neck. I'm sorry printerink, I don't agree with you but thanks for your opinion. Interesting perspective if nothing else.

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:

You guys are so rude. Not that I agree but printerink is allowed to have an opinion without being jumped on. Most of the people jumping probably have not even traveled overseas as extensively as she has. I'm pretty sure it went down the way Oprah said but that doesn't mean you guys have to treat printerink like that. Sometimes you all are so immature. That sh*t gets old. If you don't jump on the bandwag on people start talking out the side of their neck. I'm sorry printerink, I don't agree with you but thanks for your opinion. Interesting perspective if nothing else.

Posted By: Starrygurl
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 2:16pm

Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:

LOLTongue@afro PrinterInk reminds me of someone from an other site, they almost think /write the same.Geek

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 2:53pm
*opens Passport, looks at entry stamps, calls travel agent* 

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 3:00pm

Print Page | Close Window