Print Page | Close Window

Oprah finally speaks on Trayvon

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=363000
Printed Date: Jul 15 2018 at 10:17pm

Topic: Oprah finally speaks on Trayvon
Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Subject: Oprah finally speaks on Trayvon
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 9:58am
... Although it may have more to do with promoting her new movie The Butler Ouch

I don't know how to embed so here's the link.  Please embed if you can

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/oprah-trayvon-martin-emmett-till_n_3707096.html?ir=Black%20Voices&utm_hp_ref=black-voices" rel="nofollow - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/oprah-trayvon-martin-emmett-till_n_3707096.html?ir=Black%20Voices&utm_hp_ref=black-voices
Oprah: Trayvon Martin The 'Same Thing' As Emmett Till (VIDEO)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/oprah-trayvon-martin-emmett-till_n_3707096.html?view=print&comm_ref=false" rel="nofollow -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/oprah-trayvon-martin-emmett-till_n_3707096.html" rel="nofollow -
-
- http://plus.google.com/share?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2F2013%2F08%2F05%2Foprah-trayvon-martin-emmett-till_n_3707096.html&hl=en-US" rel="nofollow -   http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=zWcU_Ru-MUrybM&tbnid=ydvIWPE4h492NM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fspectatortribune.com%2Farticle%2Foprah-brings-message-of-hope-to-calgary-but-demands-you-go-bankrupt-to-hear-it%2F&ei=1r3_UZ3jDpj94AO5uoGQBQ&psig=AFQjCNEN029b2pondfbKAo0gUzf_n4onXQ&ust=1375801174281930" rel="nofollow">
on Monday's "Today", Oprah Winfrey compared the killing of Trayvon Martin to that of Emmett Till, the young black boy whose http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till" rel="nofollow - brutal murder helped fuel the civil rights movement.

It was one of her first public comments about the case, which has seen African Americans and whites http://www.people-press.org/2013/07/22/big-racial-divide-over-zimmerman-verdict/" rel="nofollow - sharply divided about whether George Zimmerman's acquittal was just.

"Trayvon Martin, parallel to Emmett Till," Oprah told The Grio's Chris Witherspoon. "Let me just tell you, in my mind, same thing. But you can stuck in that and not allow yourself to move forward and to see how far we've come."

In a http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/oprah-winfrey-forrest-whittaker-movie-19858184" rel="nofollow - previous interview with Diane Sawyer , she said her new movie, "The Butler," could offer an answer to white people who were confused as to why African Americans were so outraged about Martin's death.

Oprah also appeared on "CBS This Morning" for that show's entire second hour, talking about things as varied as morning sex, her upcoming interview with Lindsay Lohan, and her network, OWN.

"We're having fun, we're making money, we're really in the business," she said of OWN.

Replies:
Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 10:01am
Yep, well-timed to present her movie

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 10:09am

Posted By: texasmami0117
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 10:19am
Thats it? Stern Smile

SHAME!

I will get The Butler on bootleg.

Posted By: Addicted19034
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 10:23am

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 10:35am
Idk oprah does come from way back when old school. At keast it was nothing coonish.

I can't wait for the day oprah gets really old and dont give a damn and says whatever

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 11:02am
Yeah that will bethe day she goes on an anti black rant

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 11:34am
Originally posted by CLCNY20 CLCNY20 wrote:

Yep, well-timed to present her movie
This

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 12:02pm
bish bye

Posted By: Omni Harmony
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 12:29pm
Unread Oprah Winfrey Wears Giant Afro for 'O Magazine' Cover - September 2013
http://www.justjared.com/tags/oprah-winfrey" rel="nofollow - - O, The Oprah Magazine ‘s September 2013 issue.
“Just revealed this new cover of O, The Oprah Magazine – one of my faves ever – Let’s talk about HAIR! Love this cover so much, I’m making it my new profile pic!” the 59-year-old media mogul wrote on her https://www.facebook.com/oprahwinfrey?ref=br_tf" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: Omni Harmony
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 12:30pm
since this is black HAIR media, and this thread is about oprah....

I didnt want to make a threadStern Smile

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 1:24pm
You ungrateful Blacks. Be happy she spoke up about it during her movie pluggin tour. It's better than nothing.Stern SmileStern Smile

But yeah, she needs to have a seat with that. She made a OWN channel special about the new royal baby the same week it was born but can't have a special on Trayvon Martin? FOH.

Posted By: bubblyboo
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

You ungrateful Blacks. Be happy she spoke up about it during her movie pluggin tour. It's better than nothing.Stern SmileStern Smile

But
yeah, she needs to have a seat with that. She made a OWN channel
special about the new royal baby the same week it was born but can't
have a special on Trayvon Martin? FOH.

Pretty much alladis

Posted By: zsazsa
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 1:37pm
Disappointed 

Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 2:08pm
Well first, the interviewer asked her how she thought Trayvon Martin's case paralleled with Emmitt Till.  She didn't bring it up herself.

Secondly, this isn't the 1st time she's spoken about Trayvon.  She described how infuriated she was over the case on Steve Harvey's show over a year ago.  Fast forward to 11:38.

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 2:34pm
I told yall she wasn't shat.  Nobody listens to meCry

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

I think it's really disgusting that she's just using his death to promote her movie--disgusting and tacky

...she should have kept her mouth shut.Ermm

her movie about blks serving whites and taking such pride in that. Dead

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Naturalchick30 Naturalchick30 wrote:

This is how I feel in real life, but these folk still sippin the Oprah Kool-Aid

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Well first, the interviewer asked her how she thought Trayvon Martin's case paralleled with Emmitt Till.  She didn't bring it up herself.

Secondly, this isn't the 1st time she's spoken about Trayvon.  She described how infuriated she was over the case on Steve Harvey's show over a year ago.  Fast forward to 11:38.

To her credit, I just listened to that portion of the interview and she's very clear on that. However, I dislike the fact that she did not bring it up on her OWN channel or on a bigger platform than a radio show. I believe she did that out of fear of alienating her white audience and that sucks. If anything, she has a platform to bring these things to light and it's her responsibility to use it. She had her mind on her money.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

I think it's really disgusting that she's just using his death to promote her movie--disgusting and tacky

That's what I gathered from the trailer.
I was like "the is this coon ass sh*t?"

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

That's what I gathered from the trailer.
I was like "the is this coon ass sh*t?"
Oprah is old school. To be fair, she said on Letterman the other day that this movie was representative of her parents' generation who were more inclined to try and not make waves, not of hers. She wanted to bring a historical account of what happened with this particular butler.

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by ShadyLady ShadyLady wrote:

This is how I feel in real life, but these folk still sippin the Oprah Kool-Aid
I recently stopped sippin' it. The feeling is freeing.Cry

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:04pm
I have my issues with Oprah, ESPECIALLY how she handled the Trayvon thing. But y'all are exaggerating a little. She has done some good things, it's not all negative.

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I have my issues with Oprah, ESPECIALLY how she handled the Trayvon thing. But y'all are exaggerating a little. She has done some good things, it's not all negative.

Do you feel as strongly about Obama's handling of the Trayvon case?

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:08pm
JP don't mind me. I'm going through the 5 stages of mourning over Oprah. I use to praise that woman and now I see she is human. Real human.Cry

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:17pm

I wasn't too impressed with him. In fact, he was pissing me the hell off with his silence.. However, he did get major points when he gave his press conference. I thought that was brave of him. But I would still like for something to actually come of it! Who knows what's in store with the DOJ...
Everyone knows I have my issues with Obama, lol

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

JP don't mind me. I'm going through the 5 stages of mourning over Oprah. I use to praise that woman and now I see she is human. Real human.Cry
LOLLOLLOL

I still like her. She is not straight up coon. 

She has a school in S Africa and erryfing. 

I wasn't too impressed with him. In fact, he was pissing me the hell off.. However, he did get major points when he gave his press conference. I thought that was brave of him. But I would still like for something to actually come of it! Who knows what's in store with the DOJ...

I was curious, because people criticize her much more than him and I didn't really see the difference. 

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by zsazsa zsazsa wrote:

I still like her. She is not straight up coon. 

She has a school in S Africa and erryfing. 

Is that sarcasm?  I honestly can't tell.

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:23pm

I wasn't too impressed with him. In fact, he was pissing me the hell off.. However, he did get major points when he gave his press conference. I thought that was brave of him. But I would still like for something to actually come of it! Who knows what's in store with the DOJ...

I was curious, because people criticize her much more than him and I didn't really see the difference. 
Major difference. He's a head of state with unprecedented powers as a black man. I criticize him much more than her.

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:26pm
Obama ain't got no power.

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:27pm

Major difference. He's a head of state with unprecedented powers as a black man. I criticize him much more than her.

That's what I thought, but people were harder on her than him.

I already expressed my views on this on another thread, but I'll just say I understand why both of them exercise a lot of restraint in speaking out about issues concerning the black community. 

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Obama ain't got no power.

So I keep hearing. I beg to differ.

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:29pm
No. I just wrote it silly. I respect a lot what Oprah has done and although she does get it wrong at times, I feel as if her heart is in a good place. 

I am proud of her achievements and I am even more proud that she is black and has achieved so so much. I don't see her as a sell-out, even though I don't agree with everything she does etc. I think she is a good role model. 

Hope that makes sense! lol

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:31pm

No. I just wrote it silly. I respect a lot what Oprah has done and although she does get it wrong at times, I feel as if her heart is in a good place. 

I am proud of her achievements and I am even more proud that she is black and has achieved so so much. I don't see her as a sell-out, even though I don't agree with everything she does etc. I think she is a good role model. 

Yes it does, and it basically sums up how I feel about her as well.

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:36pm

I already expressed my views on this on another thread, but I'll just say I understand why both of them exercise a lot of restraint in speaking out about issues concerning the black community
Disagree with the bolded. There's restraint and then there's damn near crickets. One has concrete power, the other has a fantastic platform. I don't accept the apologist perspective, especially when it comes to the prez.
Oprah, to some extent, I can understand it although I don't give her a complete pass.
She just recently made headway with OWN and she was in danger of losing her empire. So to some extent (emphasis on some), I can understand why she's cautious. But the prez is in his second term. No excuse there. They both should be doing better.

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:40pm

I do agree with that to some extent. I don't see her as a coon. But this using of Trayvon's name to promote her movie annoys me. It wouldn't if she had been vocal about it before on her platform.

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:40pm

I already expressed my views on this on another thread, but I'll just say I understand why both of them exercise a lot of restraint in speaking out about issues concerning the black community
Disagree with the bolded. There's restraint and then there's damn near crickets. One has concrete power, the other has a fantastic platform. I don't accept the apologist perspective, especially when it comes to the prez.
Oprah, to some extent, I can understand it although I don't give her a complete pass.
She just recently made headway with OWN and she was in danger of losing her empire. So to some extent (emphasis on some), I can understand why she's cautious. But the prez is in his second term. No excuse there. They both should be doing better.

Yeah we can agree to disagree.  No one wants to be Black Jesus in America, and I understand why.  Its a lose/lose situation.  Obama learned his lesson after the Prof Gates controversy and I'm glad he did.

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:44pm

Yeah we can agree to disagree.  No one wants to be Black Jesus in America, and I understand why.  Its a lose/lose situation.  Obama learned his lesson after the Prof Gates controversy and I'm glad he did.
What has he got to lose at this point? It's his last term! Show some damn political courage. No one is asking him to be black Jesus. Just use his position to push certain agendas that he should push because blacks are part of his constituency just like women and gays and latinos. First term, I understood. Second term, I've run out of patience. But thread is about Oprah, lol.

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:45pm
I just pray we never have another black president. 

Posted By: sexibeach
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 3:49pm

my thoughts exactly.. 

and since when has she become the official voice for black folks? 

black folks have used their own voice they ain't looking, at least I ain't, for an official representative of the Trayvon's case.. 

the movie ain't make believe it is actual history and the bio of the butler a real person, that worked in the white house thru several administrations.. what did ya'll think the movie was about? fiction? 

Posted By: bellaxoxoxo
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 10:57pm
She reminds me of that woman Veronica on Tyler Perry's show, Haves/Have Nots. She's the one who tries to pretend like she doesn't remember where she's from, and/or she does not like to associate herself with Blacks. That's what Oprah is like. I don't like her anyway.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 11:00pm
Oprah was too busy saving lohan to interview Trayvon parents . She claim she would never pay for a interview . Paid that white girl 1 million bucks.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=oprah%20lindsay%20lohan&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDIQmxYwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fplus.google.com%2F114350486030037736314&ei=O3QAUtX4Nav-4AOE_oDACg&usg=AFQjCNHsUS-6elPIscOo06wpvF1MA7SHzA&bvm=bv.50310824,d.dmg" rel="nofollow - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=oprah%20lindsay%20lohan&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDIQmxYwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fplus.google.com%2F114350486030037736314&ei=O3QAUtX4Nav-4AOE_oDACg&usg=AFQjCNHsUS-6elPIscOo06wpvF1MA7SHzA&bvm=bv.50310824,d.dmg

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

bish bye
yup.

lol i already knew. i dont support her or her nwo  own channel. im actually surprised i came in this and the other thread about her today. Confused

Date Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 5:02am
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Oprah was too busy saving lohan to interview Trayvon parents . She claim she would never pay for a interview . Paid that white girl 1 million bucks.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=oprah%20lindsay%20lohan&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDIQmxYwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fplus.google.com%2F114350486030037736314&ei=O3QAUtX4Nav-4AOE_oDACg&usg=AFQjCNHsUS-6elPIscOo06wpvF1MA7SHzA&bvm=bv.50310824,d.dmg" rel="nofollow - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=oprah%20lindsay%20lohan&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDIQmxYwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fplus.google.com%2F114350486030037736314&ei=O3QAUtX4Nav-4AOE_oDACg&usg=AFQjCNHsUS-6elPIscOo06wpvF1MA7SHzA&bvm=bv.50310824,d.dmg
What????????????????? A million dollars for that psychotic crackhead?

Print Page | Close Window