Print Page | Close Window

Will Real Hip Hop Ever Be Resurrected?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=362848
Printed Date: Oct 23 2018 at 5:35pm

Topic: Will Real Hip Hop Ever Be Resurrected?
Posted By: khivey
Subject: Will Real Hip Hop Ever Be Resurrected?
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 2:44am
LOL

Replies:
Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 2:51am
It was never dead to start with...Krs was in Groningen not long ago so he is still busy. I think quite a few artist put out music but it just isn't played on radio or tv but is popular online in some circles. Lots just don't have the PR teams to make the push to mainstream or just don't want it. Once you get mainstream you have pressure to change, lots of creeps coming around with their hand out, people call you a sell out. If you are an artist, who wants that?

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 3:00am
I was listening to ice cubes who got the camera today

22 years later, sh*t is still pertinent

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 3:05am
U mean hip hop with a serious political/social message?  On some 90's sh*t?  No I don't think so....at least not mainstream.

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 3:05am
KRS' recent music is terribad.

I doubt the mainstream airways of rap return to where it was in either of the golden ages. If there ever is a third golden age, it'll prolly have to coincide with a paradigm shift of some sort within the black community. And the complete collapse of the current economical structure of our music industry.

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 3:06am
Nas found a way to do it. He gets airtime...There has to be a strategic, yet very creative way to go about educating through music. 

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 3:08am
Not a fan of 2Chaninz but I would not say he isn't hip-hop or fake. There has always been the less serious side. It has never been all serious stuff. Wu-tang had some message in their music but they also had some crazy movie type stuff going on.

Yeah, his recent music hasn't been all that great. It is pretty messed up to see these artist playing rinky-dinky places in some backwoods location but we all got bills and food to buy.

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 3:11am
Originally posted by khivey khivey wrote:

Nas found a way to do it. He gets airtime...There has to be a strategic, yet very creative way to go about educating through music. 

Nas has a lot of uneducated stuff in his music. He tries to be deep but anybody that has read a book sees he is wrong at times. I would not rely on none of these people to educate. That is for parents and schools to do. That view of rappers educating should have been dead.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 3:14am
Im not a hiphop head so my take on it may be way off.... so ill say this. There were "2chains" type rappers  back in the day as well. Not all rap then had a profound message.  I mean even going back before KRS1 to like Sugar Hill gang and what not some rappers just rapped about having a good time. 

What has changed is the ideal of what a good time is ...lol but those conscious thought provoking  rappers are still out there. Its not going to hand fed to you but they do exist. Even those who start that way once they hit mainstream are a bit softened to appeal to a wide audience.

The idea that its this generation that has diluted what hiphop was or really is is something i dont agree with but its just that hiphop has be come so diverse that..that some things may not seem recognizable to what some come accustomed to growing up....

I believe this is something that takes place in every genre of music... but thats just my take on it... im sure a hiphop head could clear it up tho..lol 

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 3:22am
Yes nigguhs forget tone loc

Koop moe dee

Etc etc

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 3:22am
Originally posted by Prazol60 Prazol60 wrote:

Originally posted by khivey khivey wrote:

Nas has a lot of uneducated stuff in his music. He tries to be deep but anybody that has read a book sees he is wrong at times. I would not rely on none of these people to educate. That is for parents and schools to do. That view of rappers educating should have been dead.

He is always talking about something...he has a message in a lot of his songs...sometimes he uses book education in his music, but at least he is talking about something a lot of the time. 

Right now, it just seems like this new generation idolizes music stars so much, it is sad, but they have "power" and music could have been used as a vehicle to educate...most of these rappers have ghost writers anyways, so it would be perfect to have their lyrics geared towards educating and sending positive messages to the people. However, that would not happen because they like to keep our kids dumb and reciting bubble gum jargon Ouch 

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 3:26am
Yes I do know my generation had some sh* for music, but they still told stories, even if they were explicit and inappropriate, they told real stories...and it was entertaining..it just seems like a lot of artists today just brag and play on words and have catchy hooks...oh well. I guess there were people who felt the same way about the music from my generation. 

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 3:57am
true.  i think that back in the day....it was more balanced.  u had your fun "do what u like" and "I go to work" along with "rebirth of slick" and "fight the power".  I'm not a hip hop professional.  I'm just going off what I remember hearing daily on the radio.

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 3:58am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

true.  i think that back in the day....it was more balanced.  u had your fun "do what u like" and "I go to work" along with "rebirth of slick" and "fight the power".  I'm not a hip hop professional.  I'm just going off what I remember hearing daily on the radio.

You're absolutely right.

Too late to go in depth but the difference between the golden ages and now is balance.

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 4:11am
I think if we look at the bigger picture there is a total un-educating of America going on. You have tons being poured into military and less into the Department of Education. I believe that and the Department of Wildlife or whatever ya'll have get the least amount of money. So, you have a population of uneducated. They don't want to learn or if they do then they want it in tiny bits. This is why you see those pop-eduction slideshows, big pictures with little depth articles. I see people on FB posting those science meme's that are really don't educational. Yes, we have people out there trying but who is really listening?

Some of the most popular tv shows are light talk, reality and sitcoms. In another thread I think it was GKiss that pointed out that in the 70's you had those Norman Lear shows that had depth. All around that is missing in America.

I may be totally off base but as an outsider looking in this is what I see. This is what is exported to us. TLC here shows Honey Booboo, some cake and tattoo stuff and Fashion Police. Discovery is almost always about restoring some cars and pawn shops. Even our National Geographic has Ice Road Truckers and Worlds Worst Roads. All exported from the US.

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 5:17am
Im not a hip hop head either. Im curious how you guys classify these people. real hip hop or not? and why? I don't think I understand the definition of real hip hop, I just started getting into it myself.
Drake
Kendrick Lamar
J Cole
Kanye
Wale
Jay Z

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 6:07am

drake is a real Brotha, no sarcasm.

Posted By: whitrhymes
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 7:24am
Concrete I would classify all of them as real hip hop... Except Drake... he kind of flip flops but he makes good solid music... The others have a higher percentage of real music I think,  but I still love Drake and think his music will transcend.

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 7:53am
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

You're absolutely right.

Too late to go in depth but the difference between the golden ages and now is balance.

Exactly.  Hip hop has always been a very diverse genre but has lost much of its diversity with everyone basically chasing the same spot.  Feels like there are no longer specific lanes for each to shine. 

Posted By: Addicted19034
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 8:28am
No

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 8:51am
I just want to hear music that feeds my soul!
It's not just hip hop that is asleep. Where is the real
RnB? I need music to speak to me again. As a people, from
any part of the world, music does something to us and for us. We need that again, if for no other reason, to feel good!

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 8:55am
well...i think i've always been a lil more drawn to ratchet lyrics...

so, maybe i actually had a hand in the so called death of "real hip hop"...my bad...LOL

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:01am
i mean...i like both somewhat equally with a slight edge to ratchet..........now.

but, when i was younger, it was more like 75/25%.

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:03am
If there was a balance and I had the option to hear somethig else I wouldn't mind as much.
But if I don't want to hear BS on the radio, I have to turn off the radio.

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:05am
i don't listen to the radio...

Posted By: dijah.love
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:05am
I wouldn't consider 2 Chainz hip hop, faux hip hop, nothing. What he writes is very far removed from what hip hop is. He's a rapper at best.

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:14am
Neither do I lol
I have no reason to.

Tbh I miss Ja Rule. Murder inc made great summer songs, can't deny. I miss the early 2000s. I miss Brandy!! Real Brandy! I miss Missy, I miss rnb Beyonce. I miss USHER! I used to play the radio and hear a whole bunch of ppl. Now i heard the same songs all day. It was the combination of people in the industry that made music fun for me.

Blah. End mini rant.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:15am
The "hip hop is dead" people are just some fun snatchers. 

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:17am

that brandy (94) album is a classic.  matter of fact, imma bout to put that on right now!

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

The "hip hop is dead" people are just some fun snatchers. 

LOLLOLLOLCryCryCryLOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:28am

When I was younger, when my dad used to ask me why did I listen to the music I listened to because of what they were talking about...I'd say "I'm not listening to the words, I just like the beat".  I did listen to the words from Too Short's songs and he had me scared to even kiss a dude because I thought he'd think I was a slut LOL  he talked so bad about females I never wanted to be talked about like that..

As I got older I really started to focus more on the words to songs and I started to listen to rap and hip hop less and less. I didn't like Tupac until he came out with "Brenda had a baby" and "Keep your Head Up" ..then he changed it up on us, but he was already my dude. 

I will never forget listening to Nelly's Country Grammar and one day stopped nodding my head and thought 'wow, this dude really isn't saying anything, he basically made a hit off of saying some vowel letters, and uh oh through an entire song' 

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:34am
When I want to hear some good hip hop I throw on the Blackstar album
They should do another album

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

Neither do I lol
I have no reason to.

Tbh I miss Ja Rule. Murder inc made great summer songs, can't deny. I miss the early 2000s. I miss Brandy!! Real Brandy! I miss Missy, I miss rnb Beyonce. I miss USHER! I used to play the radio and hear a whole bunch of ppl. Now i heard the same songs all day. It was the combination of people in the industry that made music fun for me.

Blah. End mini rant.

i loved confessions usher.

isnt missy making a comeback?

loved the timbaland/missy collabs

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:42am
I saw her lil feature on the fantasia song but I don't know if she's putting out new music. Hope she does.
I need usher to get rid of his mohawk, fade it up, put on his leather jacket, and copy MJ like he used to.

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:43am
That is my problem with playing old Dre and Snoop..I really listen to the lyrics now. But I can ignore them when I want to dance. But just sitting around or in the car I just cringe. 

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

When I want to hear some good hip hop I throw on the Blackstar album
They should do another album

I feel like now is the time.

Posted By: el_bandido
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 10:00am
hip hop wont die 

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 11:16am
Originally posted by el_bandido el_bandido wrote:

hip hop wont die 

Exactly again.  Hip Hop and R&B are out of balance like RT said is all.  A lot of the new artist are actually very talented.  It just gets annoying when 1 or 2 artists crowd everything else out though.  You have to dig to find the balance again but there is still good stuff and bad. 

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 12:42pm
The kind of balance of the 90s had Dr. Dre (a smoking weed album), A Tribe Called Quest (a jazz rap album), Ice Cube (hardcore militant album) and MC Hammer (a dance album) as platinum acts all at the same time, even though rap wasn't supported/covered as heavily as it is now.

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

Im not a hip hop head either. Im curious how you guys classify these people. real hip hop or not? and why? I don't think I understand the definition of real hip hop, I just started getting into it myself.
Drake
Kendrick Lamar
J Cole
Kanye
Wale
Jay Z

I don't believe in a definition of "real hip hop," as I've debated many times on here. Plenty definitions have been presented by the likes of KRS, but all of them read as artificial and restricting IMO.

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 12:47pm
pharoah just had a dope show in london last night

standing ovation was 7 mins straight!!

he broke down!!

real hiphop!

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 1:58pm

The kind of balance of the 90s had Dr. Dre (a smoking weed album), A Tribe Called Quest (a jazz rap album), Ice Cube (hardcore militant album) and MC Hammer (a dance album) as platinum acts all at the same time, even though rap wasn't supported/covered as heavily as it is now.

This era also had space for female MCs but now not so much.  It makes me appreciate Nikki less not more to be honest.  I still like her for the most part. 

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 2:01pm
Yes! A lot more

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 2:30pm
MC Lyte was that deal...loved her. 
I loved Rah Di ..I bumped her CD so hard summer 2000. 
I liked Storm, she was introduced on Pac's album..I believe All Eyez on Me if I remember correctly..
I also liked this girl name ANewsance, from a group out of Chicago..she was good...
Remy Martin was dope..I didn't really care for her until I saw her at a concert in NY and she started freestylin' I was like wow, she got bars
Shawna was a hopeful, but I didn't really have a chance to really listen to her lyrics all that much. 
I think Nicki has a cute and unique style...if she was in my generation I would have liked her, but I think she is just for the kids.

Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 3:13pm

Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

Drake
Kendrick Lamar
J Cole
Kanye
Wale
Jay Z

I don't believe in a definition of "real hip hop," as I've debated many times on here. Plenty definitions have been presented by the likes of KRS, but all of them read as artificial and restricting IMO.

interesting...

Print Page | Close Window