Print Page | Close Window

People of faith

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=362729
Printed Date: Dec 16 2017 at 1:54pm

Topic: People of faith
Posted By: SweetNovember*
Subject: People of faith
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 8:11am
What are your expectations of God, if any? (that sounds so...presumptuous, but) In other words, what benefits do you reap or expect to reap by walking with God? Do you think there could be an event in your life that could make you turn away from God?

I was watching the news early this morning and saw a clip of Rick Warren, pastor of a megachurch and author of the best selling The Purpose Driven Life, conducting his first sermon since his son's suicide four months ago. I am so inspired by his faith.

Anyway, this is an old interview that talks about how people have dealt with their children's suicide and talks about the myth of God promising Christians the perfect life.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/06/matthew-warren-suicide_n_3029792.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/06/matthew-warren-suicide_n_3029792.html

Replies:
Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 8:51am
*pops gum* imma just watch while my clothes are washin'.

Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 9:11am
I don't feel like you should or can expect anything from God. God, has given you the ability to have empathy, sympathy, compassion, understanding etc...it is up to you as an individual to construct your path and how you choose to walk in that path. You can burden yourself with regret, sorrow, remorse, fear and anger and your path will be long and hard, you will not see the value of life, or your self-worth. Or you can walk with faith (the power each individual posses) in the abilities God has given you to grow & learn from each experience.

I've had many difficult obstacles (at times I thought impossible to overcome) but the mind/spirit is resilient if you trust in the higher power. There is something greater than yourself and it is up to you to seek your truth and what makes you feel connected to that higher power.

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 9:17am
What benefits do I expect to reap? Well the true and living God does everything right. So if I do as many things right as I can, then the expectation of our relationship is endless. In my lifetime My biggest desire for our relationship is for me to kill my ego.

Ego created sin in the first place, and the only way to get rid of it and to get back to where we were with our father would be to overcome our ego. In the Garden of Gethsemane Jesus overcame the ego of man for us, to cancel out our defeat with our ego in the Garden of Eden.

Ego is a bigger deal than most christian leaders teach. Heck, they rarely ever teach about it, yet it is the cause of all human issues.

-There has been several times in my life where I felt like God packed up and moved and didn't send me his new address.
I felt lower than the pit. I felt abandoned and desolate. Near death. And let's not talk about when I grow closer to God and hear from him a thousand times a day, and then all of a sudden it seems like he drops his arm that fastened me, and all of my life tumbled to the ground. I spoke to him and he was mute. Months on end I can't hear from God despite fasting and meditation. I hear very well, so when I don't hear from God I got batsh*t crazy! It really puts his necessity in my life in perspective. Now when that happens I am reminded of how often King David felt abandoned by God: "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? … If I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,' even the darkness will not be dark to you" (Psalm 139:7, 9-12).

So when I feel blind to my own life, I remind myself of my other life partner who is never asleep and has all the vision and I trust him. Again...ego related. Can't escape the ego relation no matter what.

Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 9:27am
No test, no testimony!

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 10:46am

expect?   lol.  no.

i don't think i have ever prayed for anything specifically for myself, other than uderstanding...

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

Ego is a bigger deal than most christian leaders teach. Heck, they rarely ever teach about it, yet it is the cause of all human issues.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. People in general are too proud and don't like righteous correction. They are quick to follow those who speak with smooth words/forked tongues who are actually trying to distract, deceive and ultimately destroy you. Yet they will mock and turn away from those who are trying to show them love according to laws of The Most High. And then wanna turn and seek GOD when they find themselves in a ditch (Hosea 5:15).

Posted By: Jr1127
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 10:55am
What do you mean by expect? When you walk with GOD there should be no exception but to have the body of Christ!

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 11:00am
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

Ego is a bigger deal than most christian leaders teach.
Heck, they rarely ever teach about it, yet it is the cause of all human
issues.

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">

I
wholeheartedly agree with this.
People in general are too proud and don't like righteous correction.
They are quick to follow those who speak with smooth words/forked
tongues who are actually trying to distract, deceive and ultimately
destroy you. Yet they will mock and turn away from those who are trying
to show them love according to
laws of The Most High. And then wanna turn and seek GOD when they find themselves in a ditch (Hosea 5:15).

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 11:24am
I expect nothing and no I don't see myself turning from God. There were times when I was angry but it was never directed at God. I can't image doing that in the future but who knows. I guess if my whole family was killed but I don't know really. It is nothing something I really like to think about.
(Unitarian)

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

I don't feel like you should or can expect anything from God. God, has given you the ability to have empathy, sympathy, compassion, understanding etc...it is up to you as an individual to construct your path and how you choose to walk in that path. You can burden yourself with regret, sorrow, remorse, fear and anger and your path will be long and hard, you will not see the value of life, or your self-worth. Or you can walk with faith (the power each individual posses) in the abilities God has given you to grow & learn from each experience.

I've had many difficult obstacles (at times I thought impossible to overcome) but the mind/spirit is resilient if you trust in the higher power. There is something greater than yourself and it is up to you to seek your truth and what makes you feel connected to that higher power.

What about the children who were forced into the sex slavery and are being prostituted in Thailand, China, India and many other countries? How can they construct a path if they have been physically, mentally and emotionally destroyed since the beginning???

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 11:33am
I think it is very easy for the people whom were never in extreme, painful circumstances to talk about the love of God and so on.

Based on all the bad in the world, all the corruption, racism and the cruelty of humans, I believe God created us to do whatever we please. He doesn't give us power to anything. People say "God will give you strength" - I call that bullsh*t. If he did, the children prostitutes wouldn't suffer so much. Neither would the guys at Guatanamo Bay. Or the people tortured during many military dictatorships throughout the world.

Some people don't even believe He exists and He is fine with that, since he gave us the free will to do whatever we please. I do, but I don't believe in the ridiculous Bible version, where either it says God is love or that God is some vengeful psychopath who will kill my enemies.

I believe God is love and all I expect from him is to forgive my sins and give me understanding when I ask Him. That's it. I don't believe in hell either; how could hell be created by someone else if God is the most powerful being in the Universe?!

SO, what about the children prostitutes that God isn't freeing from the trade? That's because those people are still paying for their previous sins. Our goal is to become pure like Him, so we can go to Heaven. But we all committed a sin in one of our lives (yes, I believe in reincarnation) and we need to pay for them by enduring some kind of pain or troubles.

Every time I have some trouble, I wonder what I did in my past lives to deserve it. I will never know, but all I think is that I need to be a good person now so in my next life I will have less problems or maybe I will go to Heaven after I pass away.

Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

What about the children who were forced into the sex slavery and are being prostituted in Thailand, China, India and many other countries? How can they construct a path if they have been physically, mentally and emotionally destroyed since the beginning???
S&F I understand your question, but if I had the answer to that those type of disparities, they wouldn't be occurring. Unfortunately, faith is something tailored to the person (or not) You have free will to believe or not, it is your choice. I can't force you to believe & you can't force me to not believe.

The cycle of people using and abusing each other has existed since man walked the earth. I can only speak for myself, I've had many dark dark circumstances in my life where my faith has been tested. In those times, I've asked for understanding, stronger insite or stillness of my mind/spirit to make it through. I often wonder why things happen. Why do natural disasters happen killing innocent people etc...why little kids get cancer etc (why the things that have happened to me & my family personally have happened?)...it can becomes very heavy , but I try my best to accept the circumstances and grow from them. Make changes where I can & help another if and when I can.

God is love~Rev Run...LOL

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 1:49pm
The Mosaic Law which was fulfilled by Christ; man is not able to keep this law so through Christ, I'm saved of it. Gentile believers were not free of this law.

I can never go back, it's to hard because my life without Christ was always a mess and I had no hope. I know I'm still somewhat messy, I'm not perfect but I can repent. Thumbs Up 
I pity those who don't know Him. 

Those who have been called are truly blessed because the "Call" doesn't go out to everyone.

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 2:19pm
I don't expect anything from God but to guide me. There's nothing I can give him that he didn't give me, except my faith and love.

I don't think there is anything that could turn me away from my faith. I have been thru some of the lowest lows imaginable, and I still managed to hold on to my faith. There were times when I got so caught up in living a worldly life, that I didn't give him the focus and attention he deserved, but lately I find myself thanking him in good times, and asking for guidance in bad times.

I'm still not where I should be, but he has bought me a long way.

Posted By: texasmami0117
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 2:48pm

BHM is being nice today

Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 2:59pm
Maybe because a lot of people don't understand the purpose of this life, they have a hard time wrapping their minds around the struggles of this life as well.

Although we all experience varying levels of struggle one can't be measured against another. No one can say the hungry 2 yr old who hasn't eaten anything in 2 days but sugar water in the caribbean hurts less than the child sex slave. Does that hurt God? Yes. Does he care? Absolutely. Will the evil slave master reap what he sews? Absolutely.

I feel some people can't wrap their minds around because they are thinking of God in such a microscopic way. Though God does pay attention to microscopic details, the root of the issue is the same.

Do you want God to allow choice in life? well a downside to human choice is some people suffer because of the choices someone else makes. The innocent is hurt because that other person literally can hurt them, and chose to, anddoesn't give a F.

Do you want God to rule with an Iron fist? Well there would be no man made rules, just God's law. And there would be no choice to be homosexual either. And the homosexual person (whom is still loved by God) gets no
chance to experience the gift of life.

When the kingdom of God comes to earth life will be something completely different for those who chose it, and those who suffered as a result of someone else's egotistic choice. And hell..life will be completely different for the ones with the inflated egos as well.

Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 3:12pm

No one can say the hungry 2 yr old who hasn't eaten anything in 2 days but sugar water in the caribbean hurts less than the child sex slave. Does that hurt God? Yes. Does he care? Absolutely. Will the evil slave master reap what he sews? Absolutely.

I get what you're saying but I can't help but feel like the need to believe that all wrongs will be corrected and evil doers will be punished is what makes religion so attractive. What's not to like? Follow the basic rules of being a good and decent human being that existed way before religion and I will not just die but go to heaven and be with my family again. Sweet!

Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 3:52pm
Ppl reap what they sew not just in God's day of judement. I'm not 'religious' per se, I'm not a christian, either, but sin being put in it's place does sound great to me. My sin and all sin alike.

And you can have an ego and follow your own rules and you will die, but disacknowledge your creator and you won't enter into the Kingdom of the true and living God.

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by texasmami0117 texasmami0117 wrote:

No one can say the hungry 2 yr old who hasn't eaten anything in 2 days but sugar water in the caribbean hurts less than the child sex slave. Does that hurt God? Yes. Does he care? Absolutely. Will the evil slave master reap what he sews? Absolutely.

I get what you're saying but I can't help but feel like the need to believe that all wrongs will be corrected and evil doers will be punished is what makes religion so attractive. What's not to like? Follow the basic rules of being a good and decent human being that existed way before religion and I will not just die but go to heaven and be with my family again. Sweet!

Um no. People were following the laws and ways of the Lord waaay before religion was introduced to the masses. The fact that most of them were then slaughtered for refusing to be indoctrinated with religion speaks volumes.

There's more to life than just being a "decent or good" human being. Interestingly enough, so called goodness or decency is measured according to the standards of those who are in power and don't give two sh!ts about GOD's word (Ecclesiastes 7:29). And yet the masses don't seem to have a problem with it.

I think what most people fail to realize is that not-believing, losing faith or lacking understanding is not going to stop The Most High's program from happening.  Jokes on them (Romans 3:3)

Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

There's more to life than just being a "decent or good" human being.

I don't think there is.

People were following the "laws and ways of the Lord" way before religion period. It's how we survived.

Posted By: lumii18
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by ShadyLady ShadyLady wrote:

I don't expect anything from God but to guide me. There's nothing I can give him that he didn't give me, except my faith and love.

I don't think there is anything that could turn me away from my faith. I have been thru some of the lowest lows imaginable, and I still managed to hold on to my faith. There were times when I got so caught up in living a worldly life, that I didn't give him the focus and attention he deserved, but lately I find myself thanking him in good times, and asking for guidance in bad times.

I'm still not where I should be, but he has bought me a long way.

Posted By: prettynaturallyme
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 6:19pm

What benefits do I expect to reap? Well the true and living God does everything right. So if I do as many things right as I can, then the expectation of our relationship is endless. In my lifetime My biggest desire for our relationship is for me to kill my ego.

Ego created sin in the first place, and the only way to get rid of it and to get back to where we were with our father would be to overcome our ego. In the Garden of Gethsemane Jesus overcame the ego of man for us, to cancel out our defeat with our ego in the Garden of Eden.

-There has been several times in my life where I felt like God packed up and moved and didn't send me his new address.
I felt lower than the pit. I felt abandoned and desolate. Near death. And let's not talk about when I grow closer to God and hear from him a thousand times a day, and then all of a sudden it seems like he drops his arm that fastened me, and all of my life tumbled to the ground. I spoke to him and he was mute. Months on end I can't hear from God despite fasting and meditation. I hear very well, so when I don't hear from God I got batsh*t crazy! It really puts his necessity in my life in perspective. Now when that happens I am reminded of how often King David felt abandoned by God: "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? … If I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,' even the darkness will not be dark to you" (Psalm 139:7, 9-12).

So when I feel blind to my own life, I remind myself of my other life partner who is never asleep and has all the vision and I trust him. Again...ego related. Can't escape the ego relation no matter what.

Thank you Derri, you better preach! lol. You have a major annointing on your life.

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 6:28pm
Lol

Posted By: sbrownie84
Date Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 12:11am
I have an expectation of peace through faith. That is all.

Print Page | Close Window