Print Page | Close Window

Don Lemon: 5 Steps to Save the Black Community

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=362712
Printed Date: Dec 14 2017 at 9:35pm

Topic: Don Lemon: 5 Steps to Save the Black Community
Posted By: Iowabred&fed
Subject: Don Lemon: 5 Steps to Save the Black Community
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 5:00pm
Repost?

Say What Now? CNN’s Don Lemon Offers 5 Ways to Save the Black Community [Video]

Posted by:  http://lovebscott.com/author/denver/" rel="nofollow - Denver Sean  July 28, 2013 http://lovebscott.com/news/say-what-now-cnns-don-lemon-offers-5-ways-to-save-the-black-community-video/#comments" rel="nofollow -

don-lemon-skeptical

Ever since the Zimmerman verdict, race and race issues have been at the forefront of discussion in both liberal and conservative media. Everybody seems to have an opionion, especially FOX News correspondent Bill O’Riley.

Following  http://lovebscott.com/news/watch-president-obama-speaks-on-race-in-america-trayvon-martin-couldve-been-me-video-transcript/" rel="nofollow - President Obama’s race speech , he blasted harsh criticism of the Black community on his show, saying the President has no idea how to combat ‘gangsta culture’ among other things.

In an unlikely twist, CNN’s Don Lemon agreed with Bill O’Riley.

Lemon addressed the criticism of black males during his “No Talking Points” segment Saturday afternoon, saying he was able to bring this up now that the Zimmerman trial had concluded. He said it’s time for ‘tough love on the subject’.

Lemon played a clip of O’Reilly stating,

“The reason there is so much violence and chaos in the black precincts is the disintegration of the African American family…Raised without much structure, young black men often reject education and gravitate towards the street culture, drugs, hustling, gangs. Nobody forces them to do that. Again, it is a personal decision.”

“Bill’s got a point,” Lemon said. “In fact, he’s got more than a point…In my estimation, he doesn’t go far enough.”

Don Lemon then offered five essential tips to help Black men better the community:

5. Pull up your pants

4. Stop using the “N word”

3. Respect where you live (don’t litter)

2. Finish high school

1. Stop having children out of wedlock

He backed his statement by spewing widely debated statistics, including this one:

“More than 72% of children in the African Americans are born out of wedlock,” Lemon said. “Studies show that lack of a male role model is an express train right to prison, and the cycle continues.”

According to Don Lemon, by doing these five simple things it will better the Black community in America and help stop racial injustice and prejudice everywhere. Say what now?

Watch the segment below:

Thoughts?

Replies:
Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 5:01pm
Wow

I always giggle when people use the "pull up your pants" line .
People were saying this after the Trayvon Martin verdict

Posted By: CamiK
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 5:02pm
Blacks stay missing the MAJOR element when trying to "save" us...

Eta: and of course racist ass bill would agree...Lemons proposal doesnt obligate whites to do a single damn thing...scustSleepy...

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 5:06pm
well damn if it its that easy i guess we are a *&%^$#@Eed up lot.  thanx Don http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/Saphia_Mayo/media/Emoticons/thumbsup.gif.html" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 5:07pm
i see the coon's cooning!!

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 5:08pm
I just saw this on CNN a few moments ago and shook my head. He specifically said he doesn't want to address how to fix racism/racists in America. Imma need him to try again.Ermm

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 5:09pm
is he the gay bloke with the white lover?

Posted By: Limalady
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 5:14pm
At first I thought it was satire, and then I realized that he was being serious. Let's be real, this is simply public ridicule of the Black community. Is his target demographic watching CNN? He is preaching to people that already live by these "rules." If he wants to help the Black community, he needs volunteer and encourage others to volunteer. He needs to give of himself and encourage others to do the same by spending time helping people in the Black community. Before anyone says it, yes I do this myself.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 5:22pm
Those 5 things will not stop or reduce racism or discrimination so extreme fail...but, 1-4 should be strived for anyway. I don't know why he would even suggest some simple sh*t like this.

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 5:37pm
Oh

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 5:47pm
Ya I saw this on TV. I wasn't surprised when I saw it was Don Lemon since he has a history of cooning. 

I remember him saying black women are the source for the issues that black gay males face. He made it seem like only black women are capable of being homophobic.

Then when that idiot asian guy made that stupid research about black women being the most unattractive people, they were discussing it on CNN. While a white woman was saying how dumb that study was and how beautiful black women are, Don was saying how much he loved that scene from Color Purple where Whoopi's character was being called ugly and had the audacity to play it during the segment. smdh.

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

I just saw this on CNN a few moments ago and shook my head. He specifically said he doesn't want to address how to fix racism/racists in America. Imma need him to try again.Ermm 

Yeah.. maybe I'm missing something but what is wrong with that comment ?

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

Ya I saw this on TV. I wasn't surprised when I saw it was Don Lemon since he has a history of cooning. 

I remember him saying black women are the source for the issues that black gay males face. He made it seem like only black women are capable of being homophobic.

Then when that idiot asian guy made that stupid research about black women being the most unattractive people, they were discussing it on CNN. While a white woman was saying how dumb that study was and how beautiful black women are, Don was saying how much he loved that scene from Color Purple where Whoopi's character was being called ugly and had the audacity to play it during the segment. smdh.

Wow!!Shocked  Self hate is a b*tch...to bad no matter how much white cock his devours...he will always be just a nig.ga to them...fukin coon...

Posted By: stardaqueenb23
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:03pm
Yes the onus is on blacks alone. Whites have absolutely no part in this. SMFH. He is just trying to keep his job since the new regime at CNN is not to fond of it's black anchors.

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by CamiK CamiK wrote:

Wow!!Shocked  Self hate is a b*tch...to bad no matter how much white cock his devours...he will always be just a nig.ga to them...fukin coon...

Damn strong words.

I actually don't think Lemon is a coon. Just white washed. And yall this is CNN. He's not going to be allowed to get up there and say, "Arm yourselves, build your own communities, etc etc." It is a white run network. There's only so much he can do.

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:07pm
lol. that list is pure comedy.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Yeah.. maybe I'm missing something but what is wrong with that comment ?
Imo the underlined statement is not a problem but coupled with his fix it list for Black people, ignoring the major cause and reason for Black People issues in this country is...interesting.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:12pm
And I can only take points 1-3 seriously because they really are hindering our community. Every black neighborhood on my side of town is notable because no one wants to be caught out there at night alone. But I live in the inner city. I know of a few primarily black suburbs that are doing just fine and have awesome education stats.

Points 4 and 5 don't need to be mentioned in a conversation like this because they are diminutive in comparison to other things that need fixing. He should've added we as a community need to value ourselves, our women, our children, and men. You can't do anything for people who don't want help or will refuse to take even some of the blame for the shambles the community is in.

I really want us to do better but it's like not only is the white social construct against us,we're against ourselves. What's the point of it all. 

Look at me all in my feelings. Lol.

Posted By: dijah.love
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:16pm
I hate when people try to bring up the subject of race and blame black people. I am all for personal responsibility and nothing he said was wrong per se. But instead of putting the problems on individuals, he should have addressed the societal constructs that allow the issue of race to fester.

He added nothing to the conversation but divided us. He could have very easily used his platform to address real pertinent, life-changing issues and solutions.

5. Pull up your pants
Since you are talking about prisons, why not talk about the injustice there?

Something else.

Environmental racism? How about the fact that poorer black folks are living on landfills and contaminated soil?

2. Finish high school
Education inequities?

Stereotyping? It taking a village to raise a child.

NONE of the points he mentioned would alter the state of the black community. In fact, even before these became trends we were still treated piss poorly in this country. So what if he pulls up his pants? He's still a brotha in a suit!

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Damn strong words.

I actually don't think Lemon is a coon. Just white washed. And yall this is CNN. He's not going to be allowed to get up there and say, "Arm yourselves, build your own communities, etc etc." It is a white run network. There's only so much he can do.

But there is truth within those words...and im not expecting ole boy to to say "whitey ain't sh*t" cause we know this...but his list insinuates that blacks are their only problem...thats bull...and then he quotes O'Reilly saying there truth there...da fuk???  Why cant ppl understand that every major dilemma the AA community has begins with the institution of slavery and its racist ideologies...even black on black crime...

Damn...Im constantly forgetting ppl can't understand their own ignorance...

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:23pm
Well, I think fixing #1 (out of wedlock births) would help......

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:24pm

ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:27pm
I feel like my cross to bear in life is to teach people the difference between correlation and causation. Don lemon needs a math lesson. 

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:27pm
Don, don, don.

CNN continues to fail and has more coons than FOX news. 

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:33pm

Damn strong words.

But there is truth within those words...and im not expecting ole boy to to say "whitey ain't sh*t" cause we know this...but his list insinuates that blacks are their only problem...thats bull...and then he quotes O'Reilly saying there truth there...da fuk???  Why cant ppl understand that every major dilemma the AA community has begins with the institution of slavery and its racist ideologies...even black on black crime...

Damn...Im constantly forgetting ppl can't understand their own ignorance...

True but there are some things we can fix ourselves. Our image for one. People can take personal responsibility to stop the cycle of teen parents/semi-literate children, etc etc. And I do understand that all of this stems from America's undying racist foundation but we can take some matters into our own hands. 

I'll never forget being the only black kid in my AP class or the only black person on the debate team simply because my parents pushed me to do better. When I got to college, a lot of people I used to know in high school said their parents just never made them try. Hell, one of my friends in college now said she forced herself to do well because her parents never cared if she went to a uni or not. A lot of this starts at home. 

We don't need the white man's permission to be great or to excel. 

I'm at a loss for what to do. The most I can think to do is force my family to do the best they can. So much of this is generational.

Posted By: Sinnamon_Mami
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:38pm
So.. We're going to ignore extreme poverty, lack of resources, lack of jobs, racism, and drugs, and stiff gun/Ouchdrug charges for blacks and just equate it to black men pulling their pants up.. Okay Lemon..

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:44pm
So I guess Don is delivered?  His pants are pulled up.  He finished high school.  I'm sure he doesn't litter.  He has no children out of wedlock and unless he's a total hypocrite doesn't use the N word.  

So does that mean he doesn't have to call mommy once he's safely inside his home?  

This is the Don Lemon edition of I'm Better Than You Because.  I'm sorry he felt he needed to come out with that.  He just lost my respect.  

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:51pm
The problem is that you can do all of those things and still be a victim of racism. He is saying it only takes 5 steps as if fixing racism is so simple. He is trivializing the issues that the black community is facing. Yes that would be nice if those things were done, but he isn't saying anything new that hasn't been said before.  

I like what Anderson Cooper said. He said that people have a habit of not knowing they are racist. He said how he has interviewed KKK clansmen that said they weren't racist, but they just really liked white people, but that doesn't change the fact that they are racist. So that's what black people are up against.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:51pm
Some valid points all up in this thread.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by dijah.love dijah.love wrote:

He added nothing to the conversation but divided us. He could have very easily used his platform to address real pertinent, life-changing issues and solutions.

5. Pull up your pants
Since you are talking about prisons, why not talk about the injustice there?

Something else.

Environmental racism? How about the fact that poorer black folks are living on landfills and contaminated soil?

2. Finish high school
Education inequities?

Stereotyping? It taking a village to raise a child.

NONE of the points he mentioned would alter the state of the black community. In fact, even before these became trends we were still treated piss poorly in this country. So what if he pulls up his pants? He's still a brotha in a suit!

thank you for some real talking points.
especially the bolded.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

^This. I don't feel like we should dismiss the list entirely. These are surface level issues that need fixing, sure, but we can't fix what's on the surface until we get to the core. Right? Idk. I get what everyone is saying though. That's just my 2 cents.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:57pm
Let me ask this: I'm not defending Don Lemon -- I honestly don't know much about him -- but why is it that when negros have differing opinions outside of the general consensus or "norm",  they automatically get labeled a coon?  Just asking...

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

So I guess Don is delivered?  His pants are pulled up.  He finished high school.  I'm sure he doesn't litter.  He has no children out of wedlock and unless he's a total hypocrite doesn't use the N word.  

So does that mean he doesn't have to call mommy once he's safely inside his home?  

This is the Don Lemon edition of I'm Better Than You Because.  I'm sorry he felt he needed to come out with that.  He just lost my respect.  
All of this. The nerve of him to come out with this "list" a week after telling the world he calls his mom every night so she knows that his lot as a black man in America has not lead to his death. I like how people act as if black people in this country were getting along great before everything on that list became an issue. Even when our marriage rates were high, crime rates low, and pants were up white people still hated us. He is here quoting Bill Orielly and the newest white excuse for racism. Notice how all this comes up only after an innocent black child is killed, now the black community must be put on trial for his death. He can keep that sh!t and he could still get the Soledad O'brien treatment from CNN at any moment. He better not piss off the black community too much BET will not catch him when CNN drops him.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Iowabred&fed Iowabred&fed wrote:

Let me ask this: I'm not defending Don Lemon -- I honestly don't know much about him -- but why is it that when negros have differing opinions outside of the general consensus or "norm",  they automatically get labeled a coon?  Just asking...

he has sex with white men.......

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 7:03pm

Sooo...that discredits his opinion or view? 

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 7:06pm

^This. I don't feel like we should dismiss the list entirely. These are surface level issues that need fixing, sure, but we can't fix what's on the surface until we get to the core. Right? Idk. I get what everyone is saying though. That's just my 2 cents.
Because this conversation has only come up in order to make white America feel better about the racism in the justice system. The fact that he quotes Bill Orielly who has been on a crusade against the black community ever since the Zimmerman trial began is what gets me. It is just so disingenuous to me that these conversations are never started in a real meaningful way.

Posted By: dijah.love
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 7:12pm
I didn't think he was a "coon". He just didn't add a darn thing to the conversation.

People are mad, I think, because he used Bill O'Reilly's argument about race as the basis of his argument. That's questionable.

And honestly, I didn't think anything was wrong other than it was pointless until I read his tweets. That was annoying.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by stardaqueenb23 stardaqueenb23 wrote:

Because this conversation has only comes up in order to make white America feel better about the racism in the justice system. The fact that he quotes Bill Orielly who has been on a crusade against the black community ever since the Zimmerman trial began is what gets me. It is just so disingenuous to me that these conversations are never started in a real meaningful way.

True. I was just thinking about this the other day -- I know other's have mention on BHM before -- black people as a culture, we were so, idk, united -- I don't know how to explain it, but you look back in the 30s/40s/50s/60s ..yeah, we still had problems and issues, but we were working together to fix sh*t. What the f$#k happened? (I mean, I know what happened in a literal sense). We, as a culture, we had so much fight. So much heart and passion. We weren't backing down and accepting "no."   It's so depressing man. Why do we have to be at the bottom of the food chain?  Confused 

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 7:16pm

Damn strong words.

It is a white run network. It is a white run world in general so I'm sure that's why a lot of people prefer to remain mute and "fix" themselves to fit the mold. 

And another issue I have with this segment is that the audience that he is addressing is not watching CNN by any means. All he is doing is reinforcing negative stereotypes within the minds of the viewers and I'm sure a lot of whites, asians and even blacks were nodding their heads in agreement saying "Yup, that's right. Blacks do it to themselves." He is not helping at all. 

I'm sure white people at CNN were so thrilled when he said he was going to do this useless segment. 

Posted By: afrikan gal
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 7:28pm
This is effing unbelievable all the points he made are moot, please come up with something original and stop beating the dead horse. Wow self hate is alive and kicking, he just wants some brownie points. Like somebody mentioned why doesn't he go volunteer with the inner city youth.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 7:40pm

perhaps....

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 8:01pm

people who agree with bill oreilly usually are coons

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 8:09pm

Damn strong words.

It is a white run network. It is a white run world in general so I'm sure that's why a lot of people prefer to remain mute and "fix" themselves to fit the mold. 

And another issue I have with this segment is that the audience that he is addressing is not watching CNN by any means. All he is doing is reinforcing negative stereotypes within the minds of the viewers and I'm sure a lot of whites, asians and even blacks were nodding their heads in agreement saying "Yup, that's right. Blacks do it to themselves." He is not helping at all. 

I'm sure white people at CNN were so thrilled when he said he was going to do this useless segment. 

This I agree with. 

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 8:21pm

perhaps....

LOLLOL

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

people who agree with bill oreilly usually are coons

Alright. I'll take that. Ha.LOL

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 9:49pm
Oh wow. The youtube comment sections are loving Don Lemon right now for preaching what they want to hear from a Black person.Dead

Posted By: Eden.
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 9:53pm
ugh

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 10:40pm
What he is saying making him a coon in many eyes of the posters here. He simply reiterated what many of the whites say about blacks. What the hell does pulling up pants have to do with being stopped and frisked by police? You do realize that that happens regardless of style of dress. The cops see melanin and you're getting stopped. They don't profile fairly. It's just a net to capture scary black males. It lets them not feel bad and reinforces their belief that there is no racism (except in the minds of lazy coloreds). Regardless of whether you agree with his policies, for many the Prez is this an ninja! They insult his intelligence and hurdle all manner of insults geared at his skintone.

Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 10:43pm
I agree with whomever said these are all surface issues.  I would have taken him more seriously if he had talked at length about his ideas to re-build the black family which I believe is the root of all the issues. 

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 10:49pm
I would say this is more of a how to better yourselves thus bettering your community list as opposed to something to fix racism.  Everything in the list has nothing to do with how other people treat black folks.  The only one that might could squeak through would be the "pull up your pants" in the sense that people treat you a certain way based on how u look.

I can't believe how he was crying n'sh*t on how he used to have to check in with mom's on the way home just to turn around and say this.   Why was he callin' Ma dukes if white folks ain't the prollem?

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 10:54pm
^^maybe he should pull up his pants when he is traveling home.....

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 11:01pm
Goldie Taylor's twitter is killin' me.LOL
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2013/07/28/msnbcs-goldie-taylor-cnns-don-lemon-turn-coat-mofo-agreeing-oreilly-r" rel="nofollow - http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2013/07/28/msnbcs-goldie-taylor-cnns-don-lemon-turn-coat-mofo-agreeing-oreilly-r
https://twitter.com/goldietaylor" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/goldietaylor

*I don't trust newsbusters for nothin' else*

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 11:07pm
According to Lemons, hes been talking about race related issues for the last 4 weeks (The N Word, Privilege, Profiling, Black Male masculinity ect) So according to him, after the Zimmerman trial, now was his opportunity to provide constructive criticism from his POV to the black community.

anyways... the initial post in the thread alluded to Lemons implying that those 5 talking points will end racism... and thats totally wrong...putting an unnecessary spin on this topic. (I had to watch the video just to clarify).. Because obviously that wouldn't make sense.

Anyways Lemons tried it though I guess...Hes not saying anything that anybody else hasn't said already... and he damn sure shouldn't have gave Oreily any credit at all... To make matters worse, he had Larry Elders on in that segment.. Just all kinds of terrible.

He probably should've just left it alone and Let MHP or JoAnne Reed handle it. 

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

I would say this is more of a how to better yourselves thus bettering your community list as opposed to something to fix racism.  Everything in the list has nothing to do with how other people treat black folks.  The only one that might could squeak through would be the "pull up your pants" in the sense that people treat you a certain way based on how u look.

Right .... I think it was a poor attempt at him trying to provide the blk community with a sense of self esteem... I don't think his intentions were to get the approval of white people ..or "right wing conservatives"...

I think he should've left it alone though.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 11:17pm
^I can dig it oodles.

You like MHP too? Big smile

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 11:21pm
I love MHP ... she gets it ... she has the only show that talks about issues that effect us. .. I also like the fact that she can go toe to toe with any one ...

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 11:22pm
This sh*t sounds like 5 steps to assimilation to me. 

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 11:24pm
You got some good taste Oodles.Cool

lol I always wish she was around when I was younger. She's great.

Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 8:36am
MHP for President!!!!!

Posted By: Omni Harmony
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 9:04am
Originally posted by yurika975 yurika975 wrote:

What he is saying making him a coon in many eyes of the posters here. He simply reiterated what many of the whites say about blacks. What the hell does pulling up pants have to do with being stopped and frisked by police? You do realize that that happens regardless of style of dress. The cops see melanin and you're getting stopped. They don't profile fairly. It's just a net to capture scary black males. It lets them not feel bad and reinforces their belief that there is no racism (except in the minds of lazy coloreds). Regardless of whether you agree with his policies, for many the Prez is this an ninja! They insult his intelligence and hurdle all manner of insults geared at his skintone.
a lot of these cases are true, but there is still the case of the safe negro vs the threatening negro.  If a guy is dressed like will smith or carlton banks, he's less likely to be stopped & frisked than a guy dressed like chief keef or wocka flocka

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Omni Harmony Omni Harmony wrote:

Originally posted by yurika975 yurika975 wrote:

a lot of these cases are true, but there is still the case of the safe negro vs the threatening negro.  If a guy is dressed like will smith or carlton banks, he's less likely to be stopped & frisked than a guy dressed like chief keef or wocka flocka
However that makes it seem as if it is simply a case of style of dress. It's not....Even the most well dressed still gets stopped and frisked waaaaaay more than they should. It's an ugly truth. However what I don't care for is this feigned ignorance of racism. Many whites don't want to have an open dialogue. They simply want blacks and other people of color to hush up about racism. As if we imagine it and keep it alive by talking about it. They don't want to deal with it because if they do they'll have to relinquish some of that privilege that they all benefit from. 

Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 10:16am
Don Lemon is on The View with Woppi Goldberg now.

Posted By: Claudie
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 10:19am
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

MHP for President!!!!!

+2

Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 10:21am
The thing that can save the black community would revolve around mental health.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

true

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 10:33am
whose mhp? sorry

and yes to the mental health

Posted By: Claudie
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 11:13am
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

whose mhp? sorry

and yes to the mental health

Melissa Harris-Perry

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 11:25am
5 ways

1. don't be a coon
2.don't be a coon
3.don't be a coon
4.don't be a coon
5.don't be a coon 

Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

so true

Yes, and very insightful.   There are several sciences that need to be applied to this problem and that is a really big one. 

Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 2:54pm

T.I. was a guest today. I wonder how Lemon felt.LOL

Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 2:57pm

Don likes white men......

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 2:58pm
Big Ti.g.g.er was taking calls this morning. He was disagreeing with everyone who was clockin don lemon. He was like black twitter ain't doin nothin he still gonna be on CNN.   

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 3:07pm
they got Don

Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 3:25pm

Don likes white men......
lol I didn't mean it like that.

TI glorifies a lot of the things on Don's list of things we need to 'fix' so I was just curious how he felt about TI.Evil Smile

Posted By: texasmami0117
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 5:54pm

Don Lemon Defends ‘Controversial’ Comments On The View: ‘That’s Advice My Mother Gave Me In Kindergarten’

DL

CNN’s http://www.mediaite.com/power-grid/person/?q=Don+Lemon" rel="nofollow - Don Lemon would have been a great guest on any talk show Monday after the explosive weekend he had telling viewers http://www.mediaite.com/power-grid/person/?q=Bill+OReilly" rel="nofollow - Bill O’Reilly http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-don-lemon-backs-up-bill-oreilly-he-doesnt-go-far-enough-in-criticizing-black-culture/" rel="nofollow - “doesn’t go far enough” in his criticism of black culture . He stayed off the major morning shows, but there he was sitting in the audience of The View, apparently as the guest of Republican strategist and temporary co-host Ana Navarro.

The camera panned over to Lemon for a quick, impromptu interview about the statements he made that have http://www.mediaite.com/online/worse-before-it-gets-better-lemon-oreilly-race-agreement-to-rile-up-cable-news-war/" rel="nofollow - so many people on both sides of the racial divide fired up this week . He explained to the hosts that he was simply trying to give “suggestions” to African-Americans like pulling up their pants and stop saying the “n-word.” http://www.mediaite.com/power-grid/person/?q=Joy+Behar" rel="nofollow - Joy Behar responded by asking, “Which part is controversial?”

Lemon didn’t see why what he said caused such a stir, saying, “That’s advice my mother gave me in kindergarten.” He said the pants issue, for example, was just a “symbol of respect,” adding he wasn’t giving advice on how to “end racism” but rather on “self-empowerment” for African-Americans.

http://www.mediaite.com/power-grid/person/?q=Sherri+Shepherd" rel="nofollow - Sherri Shepherd hit the nail on the head when she said it was Lemon’s comments involving Bill O’Reilly people really “took umbrage” with. “I don’t want to give Bill O’Reilly license to say anything,” Shepherd said, “because he’s never been a young black man.”

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 5:57pm
How fcking profound

Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 6:06pm
I dunno how pulling your pants up is about self-empowerment. 

Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 6:12pm
Do boys in the hood even still sag? All I see are skinny jeans these days.

Date Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 3:00am
http://www.yourblackworld.net/2013/07/black-news/dr-boyce-don-lemon-is-an-angry-white-man-who-just-happens-to-be-black/" rel="nofollow - Dr. Boyce: Don Lemon is an Angry White Man Who Just Happens to be Black | Your Black World

http://www.yourblackworld.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/29/wpspq1.png" rel="nofollow">

by Dr. Boyce Watkins

Once I expressed concern to a friend about the policies being endorsed by former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. My friend then asked me, “Would you feel better if President Bush’s closest advisers were all white males?”

I replied, “Actually, they are white males. It just so happens that one of them has dark-skin and a v@gina.”

My point in that otherwise crass remark was not to disparage Condoleezza. It was instead to note that a person’s skin color means almost nothing relative to the agenda they represent. If you are controlled by white males, pursuing the agenda of white males, and have the same societal impact as a white male, then you’re pretty much a white guy too. At the very least, your ethnicity goes from being correlational to purely circumstantial.

I think I may have Don Lemon figured out. Don is a relatively well-educated, hard-working, law abiding citizen, as well as a proud gay man. He is the darling of the liberal establishment, and realized long ago that he can get rich and famous by proving to white people that he’s “different from those other people,” meaning loud mouth negroes such as myself.

Don also possesses the arrogance that comes with being a young, light-skinned black man who’s been elevated by the legitimacy granted to leading blacks who are accepted by white American media. CNN, MSNBC and other networks have long been in the business of creating “black thought leaders” by simply giving them a large platform to serve as mouth pieces for an agenda that has typically leaves us at the back of the bus. Also, we have to face the fact that there are many in the gay and female liberal establishment who think of black men as ignorant, s*exist, homophobic neanderthals. Hardcore feminism and gay rights have never mixed very well with our community.

I don’t hate Don, but I’m a little disappointed in him.

http://breakingbrown.com/2013/07/cnns-don-lemon-sides-with-fox-news-bill-oreilly-says-black-culture-is-to-blame-for-problems-in-community/" rel="nofollow - Don’s recent remarks about dressing and speaking appropriately weren’t just disappointing because he found himself taking the advice of a man like Bill O’Reilly. They were also sad because he’s found himself using his platform as a way to join the full-scale verbal assaults that conservative media tends to put on the African American community. In their minds, Trayvon deserved to die for wearing a hoodie, and any black man who isn’t well-versed at acting as white as he possibly can deserves whatever he has coming to him.

If I speak a little slang, wear the wrong outfit, get a tattoo or (God forbid) let my pants sag, then I can only blame myself when a racist lunatic with a thirst for blood profiles, stalks, and chases me down before shooting me dead. Thank God I learned how to make white people feel comfortable; maybe I should have gotten my PhD in “Whiteman-ology” instead of Finance.

This goes deeper than Lemon telling people to dress better and speak well. Yea, yea Don, I’m a professor who grew up around white people, so I understand all of that. What’s most telling about Don’s criticism of the black community is that there is a blatant asymmetry in the manner by which he attacks other black people with the ferocity of a lion, but becomes as meek as a choir boy when asked to speak about the systematic racism being perpetuated by whites. If he were to do that, he’d be like all the other talented black journalists who can’t find a job because they have the audacity to speak for their community.

Don should remember that a half-truth is very close to being a lie. If a man says, “Officer, that guy punched me,” then it would be less than genuine to “forget” that the first man r@ped the other man’s daughter and pulled a gun out on his mother. That’s what often happens when people do fourth-grader analysis on the race problem in America: People love to discuss the last 20 years of history while forgetting about the 400 years that preceded it.

Yvette Carnell explains it well:
What Lemon never mentions is the impact of poverty, systemic racism, or the defunding of our communities, like the school closures in Chicago. In Lemon’s mind, none of this matters. It would all be fixed if black men would only pull their pants up. Is there any veracity to what Lemon is saying? Some, yes. But his comments are not balanced and certainly not thoughtful.
Don should probably realize that when you assert that black culture is the predominant cause of the suffering of the African American community, you are effectively saying that black people are inferior to whites. Yes, you are the chosen and exceptional negro, but you should not leverage your own success by sticking a knife into the neck of other black people. Don also serves to devalue our humanity by implying that we enjoy going to prison, getting shot, and being unemployed. There is the implication that through some genetic miracle, black men love our children less or don’t get opportunities because we don’t know how to please the people who’ve been trained to oppress us for centuries.

As Don talks about why black men should dress better and why black mothers need to shut their legs and get married, here are a few other things that he might want to mention:

- By creating laws specifically designed to profile and incarcerate black people, America now locks up more black men than South Africa did during the height of apartheid, one of the most racist regimes in the history of the world (so, the data implies that America is more racist than the old South Africa). It’s hard for families to stay together when you’re sending every other potential father or husband off to forced labor camps for decades at a time. This also breaks down the structure of the family, leading to a broad increase in the number of single-parent households (see the anti-mass  http://www.yourblackworld.net/endmassincarceration/" rel="nofollow - incarceration campaign by myself and Russell Simmons  to understand this issue further).

- Black schools are funded at a rate that is significantly lower than white ones. It’s difficult for kids to speak Don Lemon’s proper English if the schools can’t even afford to buy books. In fact, there are quite a few states that are spending more money on building prisons for black children than educating them. Don, please talk about that during your next rant.

- Nearly every statistical study imaginable shows that even when black people have plenty of education, they are less likely to be hired and the first to get fired. An excellent case-in-point is when Yolanda  http://www.techyville.com/2012/11/news/unemployed-black-woman-pretends-to-be-white-job-offers-suddenly-skyrocket/" rel="nofollow - Spivey showed that the number of call backs she received dramatically increased  when she changed her resume and pretended to be a white girl. So, despite the claim that black unemployment exists because those “lazy buffoons” don’t want to work, the truth is that discrimination is very real.

- Because of widespread joblessness, incarceration, a poor educational system, and drugs/guns being dropped off in black communities, many of our kids can’t even walk to school without worrying about taking a bullet to the brain. These drugs and guns are not delivered by black people. Can you investigate this on CNN? I bet they won’t let you.

- Many of the cultural challenges we have as a community come right out of the music that is played to our kids on the radio by companies like Clear Channel, which promote violence, drug/alcohol abuse, s*xual irresponsibility, etc ( http://www.yourblackworld.net/2013/04/black-news/after-public-backlash-mountain-dew-removes-racist-commercial/" rel="nofollow - see our push to destroy Lil Wayne’s deal with Pepsico  to understand what I’m talking about). Don and Bill would never confess that it is the cultural failings of white America which have led gun manufacturers, private prisons, major record labels and others to profit by marketing death and despair to young African Americans – as a business school professor, I can assure you that MARKETING-DOES-WORK.

Hint to Don: Almost none of the destructive entities I’ve mentioned are owned by black people, even BET. So, the next time you see a jobless, uneducated thug with eight baby’s mamas and sagging pants rob your friend on the street, understand that this man was made in America. He got his gun there too.

I could go on and on, but the truth is that Don and Bill O’Reilly might find a way to blame white racism on black people too, like the abusive husband who says, “I wouldn’t have had to beat you if you hadn’t kept burning my dinner.” It is the persistent commitment to lying about racism that keeps our country from moving forward. It’s hard to take responsibility for a state-sponsored 400-year holocaust, and easier to use your power to allow yourself to live in denial.

God bless Don Lemon, and I hope he has a long, vibrant career in media. But all of us have issues, and I think that Don’s latent anger toward the African American community (especially black men) is making him the black gay equivalent to the angry white male. Growing up as a gay, abused child in the bible belt of Louisiana had to be difficult for him, and I can’t help but wonder if his disturbing remarks are a reaction to the rejection he’s felt from black America over the years. We should be ashamed for mistreating him, and I’d like to be the first to say, “Don, I’m sorry for what others have done to make you so angry at the black community right now.”

Don, we’re not all bad. Also, if I get shot while walking down the street while wearing my hoodie, just remember that my death will not be interpreted the same way if my name were Mark Zuckerberg. He wears hoodies too, and no one says he should die because of it.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 3:07am
Originally posted by stardaqueenb23 stardaqueenb23 wrote:

Do boys in the hood even still sag? All I see are skinny jeans these days.

they sag the skinny jeans.

Date Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 6:22am
The list is almost like the one the given recovering alcoholics in AA meetings lol. Nobody is negating the need for personal responsibility, but the heart of the matter is policies. Policies that create inequalities. If Don wants to tackle this issue, he should also address social injustice. In the some vein, that the the number one determinant of health Is wealth, not personal responsibility. This reporter has not right talking about issues he has not properly researched or a full grasp on.

Date Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 6:32am
http://gawker.com/video-of-violent-rioting-surfers-shows-white-culture-o-954939719
This video is satire, but the comments section is equally As funny. Can somebody make it clickable, please?

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 9:55am
oh so now he mammy told he not to sag he pants or say nicca in kindergarten?  
*shaq gif*

Date Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 10:23am
Originally posted by afrikan gal afrikan gal wrote:

http://gawker.com/video-of-violent-rioting-surfers-shows-white-culture-o-954939719
This video is satire, but the comments section is equally As funny. Can somebody make it clickable, please?

clickable link

http://gawker.com/video-of-violent-rioting-surfers-shows-white-culture-o-954939719" rel="nofollow - http://gawker.com/video-of-violent-rioting-surfers-shows-white-culture-o-954939719

Date Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 11:19am
Bindy thank you for posting Dr. Boyce's article.  I hope that people who agree with O'Reilly and Don will actually take the time to read it but just in case they choose not to below is the definition of coon as we have embraced it here in the BHM community. 

Thank you this Dr. Boyce and for every single detail you took the time to explain for the peanut galleryClap

If you are controlled by white males, pursuing the agenda of white males, and have the same societal impact as a white male, then you’re pretty much a white guy too. At the very least, your ethnicity goes from being correlational to purely circumstantial.

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 11:21am
He is serious....

Date Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 11:26am

Originally posted by afrikan gal afrikan gal wrote:

clickable link

http://gawker.com/video-of-violent-rioting-surfers-shows-white-culture-o-954939719" rel="nofollow - http://gawker.com/video-of-violent-rioting-surfers-shows-white-culture-o-954939719

LOLVery funny stuff.  The comments are hilarious.

Posted By: CuteNSweet
Date Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 5:22pm
Ugggh sometimes I hate the fact that the "Black America" problem is always so televised to the whites.  Am I the only one that feels this way?  I feel like if you want to get that message across then you go in the hood and start picking up the litter over and over again until people follow suit, etc...  You basically be an example of it.    I don't see where he said anything, that people don't already know needs to be done one way or another, but those aren't the answers to "save" Black America.   The truth is no one is willing to do the "work" that is required to actually "save" black america in terms of us progressing.

I'm so tired of the black america problem being televised to those that are not black.   I love freedom of speech and youtube and stuff like that, but its getting a little bit out of hand.  I also don't understand why we have to point the finger at ourselves when an injustice was committed against us!   Like since Trayvon was killed by Zimmerman we have to take a look at black on black crime when it was not black on black crime.    True we should be working to better our communities everyday, but why couldn't Trayvon's issue be Trayvon's issue and racisim be just what it is?

Anyway, he doesn't want to address ending racisim.  No one does, because the only way you can end racism is to not have those that are oppressed have to depend on the racist system that is oppressing them in the first place.   Which means that the whole black and white together we shall overcome bullsh*t that the civil rights movement was for would have to shift to black self sufficiency.   Meaning our own neighborhoods, our own schools, our own banks, our own airlines, our own stores, etc....    You can never make anyone white do anything.  The only thing black people can do is commune and create their own system.  That is the only answer, there is no other way and sadly people are too interested in having their "rights" to open the white woman (I didn't say man b/c really it's the black men lusting after the forbidden fruit more so than the blk female), etc... to want that for the black community and of course we know the whites don't want it b/c that obliterates white privilege and the narcissism they live with of feeling like they are better than someone else.  Ugggh!

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 5:58pm

from my dash:

The issue at hand here is not respectability. Why many of us keep falling for this smokescreen is beyond me. Listen, respectability won’t save you. That’s not the issue at hand here. It is racism. Medgar Evers was a respectable man. He wore suits and was a wonderful orator. Guess what? He got murdered. MLK Jr. was a respectable, well dressed man and a wonderful speaker. Guess what? Didn’t prevent him from getting murdered. Oh, that’s the past you say? Well, Skip Gates is a Harvard professor. Guess what? Being a Harvard professor didn’t stop someone from assuming he was a burglar breaking into his own house. Gates is a grey-haired bespectacled Ivy-league professor who walks with a cane. He was wearing khakis and a polo shirt when they arrested his ass in his own home.

3. Furthermore, wearing sagging pants, saying “Brotha", not speaking “proper" English etc is not a license to be treated like dirt. You’re not a better human being because you’re well coiffed and can speak the Queen’s English. Congrats I guess, but being that way won’t address the issue at hand which is racism.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by CuteNSweet CuteNSweet wrote:

Ugggh sometimes I hate the fact that the "Black America" problem is always so televised to the whites.  Am I the only one that feels this way?  I feel like if you want to get that message across then you go in the hood and start picking up the litter over and over again until people follow suit, etc...  You basically be an example of it.    I don't see where he said anything, that people don't already know needs to be done one way or another, but those aren't the answers to "save" Black America.   The truth is no one is willing to do the "work" that is required to actually "save" black america in terms of us progressing.

I'm so tired of the black america problem being televised to those that are not black.   I love freedom of speech and youtube and stuff like that, but its getting a little bit out of hand.  I also don't understand why we have to point the finger at ourselves when an injustice was committed against us!   Like since Trayvon was killed by Zimmerman we have to take a look at black on black crime when it was not black on black crime.    True we should be working to better our communities everyday, but why couldn't Trayvon's issue be Trayvon's issue and racisim be just what it is?

Anyway, he doesn't want to address ending racisim.  No one does, because the only way you can end racism is to not have those that are oppressed have to depend on the racist system that is oppressing them in the first place.   Which means that the whole black and white together we shall overcome bullsh*t that the civil rights movement was for would have to shift to black self sufficiency.   Meaning our own neighborhoods, our own schools, our own banks, our own airlines, our own stores, etc....    You can never make anyone white do anything.  The only thing black people can do is commune and create their own system.  That is the only answer, there is no other way and sadly people are too interested in having their "rights" to open the white woman (I didn't say man b/c really it's the black men lusting after the forbidden fruit more so than the blk female), etc... to want that for the black community and of course we know the whites don't want it b/c that obliterates white privilege and the narcissism they live with of feeling like they are better than someone else.  Ugggh!

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 5:09pm
Don Lemon is on CNN now going in on Russell Simmons etc....

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 5:23pm

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 7:22pm

Date Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 10:21pm

Posted By: smgreene67
Date Posted: Aug 11 2013 at 7:55am
This is "respectability politics."  Basically, stating that if the minority's culture/ideas would just conform to the majority's culture/ideas, then everything would be okay and racism would not exist.  Then, the minority would be "deserving" of being treated as an equal or a citizen of the culture. This never works because: 1) all minority's do not think, dress or act the same; 2) it makes one minority responsible for the actions of others in their community (it is never a yt person's responsibility to police the action of other whites);  and 3) excuses the perpetrator in favor of blaming the victim.  

Also, people who dress and speak to those in the majority culture are still subject to racism.
It is similar to saying women should not wear short skirts because that invites rape.  I should not have to act or dress a certain way for you not to abuse me or subject me to racism.  

Date Posted: Aug 11 2013 at 8:15am
Originally posted by smgreene67 smgreene67 wrote:

This is "respectability politics."  Basically, stating that if the minority's culture/ideas would just conform to the majority's culture/ideas, then everything would be okay and racism would not exist.  Then, the minority would be "deserving" of being treated as an equal or a citizen of the culture. This never works because: 1) all minority's do not think, dress or act the same; 2) it makes one minority responsible for the actions of others in their community (it is never a yt person's responsibility to police the action of other whites);  and 3) excuses the perpetrator in favor of blaming the victim.  

Also, people who dress and speak to those in the majority culture are still subject to racism.
It is similar to saying women should not wear short skirts because that invites rape.  I should not have to act or dress a certain way for you not to abuse me or subject me to racism.  

Date Posted: Aug 24 2013 at 5:06pm
Don Lemon is going in today. Today he is talking about 'what's the matter with kids today' but focusing only on Black kids being the problem committing crimes, specifically the recent crimes of black teens against yt folk.

You are really earning the side eye Don Lemon.Ermm

Print Page | Close Window