Print Page | Close Window

Look towards Africans for cultural ID?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=362678
Printed Date: Nov 20 2018 at 1:44pm

Topic: Look towards Africans for cultural ID?
Posted By: naturesgift
Subject: Look towards Africans for cultural ID?
Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:08pm
It has taken me so long to realize this? The African people that I have met so far are so Europeanized... and the problem with Black American is we are also... but then we become disillusioned with "Mama Africa" dont get me wrong I sitll love Black people but we need help in learning how to embrace our own beauty,knowladge and cultures and embrace
the truth there is no Spoon~

Replies:
Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:14pm
lol

Posted By: Limalady
Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:15pm
I actually agree. It is expected in the US or Europe, but in Africa there is a trend toward a preference for all things foreign. When I was in Nigeria I wanted authentic  clothing, jewelry, and movies, and the people I was with were like, "Why do you want those things?" Confused Well, because it is unlike anything anywhere in the world.

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:21pm
When I was in Senegal I was dating this guy and I was asking him can you tell me about Senegal before it was invaded by the muslims he said "I dont know we were all drunk and ignorant" my mouth droped to the floor and it was at the moment I knew he was LOST!

Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

When I was in Senegal I was dating this guy and I was asking him can you tell me about Senegal before it was invaded by the muslims he said "I dont know we were all drunk and ignorant" my mouth droped to the floor and it was at the moment I knew he was LOST!

Ha ha!

Well I personally think Black Americans have the lead in the diaspora about accepting themselves and embracing their blackness.  IMO, outside of America, especially in Africa and parts of Latin America, self-hatred is the norm.  It's not questioned.  Its just understood European is superior to black in every way imaginable. 

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:28pm
eh???

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:29pm
fighting words

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

When I was in Senegal I was dating this guy and I was asking him can you tell me about Senegal before it was invaded by the muslims he said "I dont know we were all drunk and ignorant" my mouth droped to the floor and it was at the moment I knew he was LOST!

Ha ha!

Well I personally think Black Americans have the lead in the diaspora about accepting themselves and embracing their blackness.  IMO, outside of America, especially in Africa and parts of Latin America, self-hatred is the norm.  It's not questioned.  Its just understood European is superior to black in every way imaginable. 

Oh my goodness! Yes! I got braids in Nigeria (I have natural hair). The lady braiding my hair complained and ridiculed me so much for it. "Ah! Yo har is sooo kinky. Why you no deh relax." It was crazy. I then understood how my mom could perm my hair at 3. It is the norm there. Straight hair is beautiful, natural hair is ugly, light skin is pretty, etc. It is interesting how Africa has accepted so much European influence.

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

and you know what's really ironic and sad? 

all of those things which some Africans look down on or take for granted are praised and seen as novelties and (re-appropriated for gullible white folks who want to be "different"Sleepy) in the west...everything from "ethnic printed fabrics (Ermm)" to baby-wearing to the music, waist-beads etc.

I hate that. I have a White acquaintance that went to Tanzania last summer, and that b!tch swears she speaks Swahili. She wears African print clothes, earrings, and bengals. For some reason it rubs me the wrong way.

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

When I was in Senegal I was dating this guy and I was asking him can you tell me about Senegal before it was invaded by the muslims he said "I dont know we were all drunk and ignorant" my mouth droped to the floor and it was at the moment I knew he was LOST!

Ha ha!

Oh my goodness! Yes! I got braids in Nigeria (I have natural hair). The lady braiding my hair complained and ridiculed me so much for it. "Ah! Yo har is sooo kinky. Why you no deh relax." It was crazy. I then understood how my mom could perm my hair at 3. It is the norm there. Straight hair is beautiful, natural hair is ugly, light skin is pretty, etc. It is interesting how Africa has accepted so much European influence.

Every time they ask this I want to punch them in their face, I swear!  The last time I got my braids done, it was the most magical experience.  She knew how to blow dry natural hair and it was so straight and it didn't hurt at all.  She complained and rolled her eyes the entire time though. LOL

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:37pm

Ha ha!

the same thing happened to me in Senegal but they were talking in french They were acting like they never seen NATURAL HAIR before? I didn't understand how they didnt understand... I was like this is AFRICA

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:39pm
lets not confuse assimilation with rejection

lets not confuse discarding certain elements about one's culture as denial of one's culture

after all who exactly are we looking at in terms of shunning and turning their back everything african?

the educated african who went to unie and now has a city job? do we not say that the same about a 'certain demographic', (eg jaentel (sp) thread) or simply not going back to help the "underprivileged"?

its not really clear cut, does one have to wear dashikis and loin cloths to be a true pan africanist?

meh, im tired, i'll pick this up tomorrow,

continue

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:39pm

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:50pm
 I kept waiting for my new NIgerain Boyfriend to act like this : the way he was in Small Island or Rasin in the sun   but he didnt he just caught up.... PS do African women feel any special way when their men marry White ladies...

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:51pm
Really off topic but Lima your story reminds me of this 50 something yt guy I saw casually wearing a dashiki the other day.LOL

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:54pm

I'm hoping to go to Nigeria (for the first time) in the not-too-distant future and here I am with my dark skin, natural hair and love of all things African and traditional...oh wellLOL Cool

Uppity can tell you all about it. I LOVED Nigeria. I think you will love it too. Embarrassed I can't wait to go back. I have much more shopping to do.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Lets not even talk about white dreads........

^ guess he is not really Nigerain I guess he is english but it still feels disappointing

Posted By: lumii18
Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:55pm

I kept waiting for my new NIgerain Boyfriend to act like this : the way he was in Small Island or Rasin in the sun   but he didnt he just caught up.... PS do African women feel any special way when their men marry White ladies...

Her dress would look sooo pretty on brown skin *sigh*

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:00pm

Do African women feel any special way when their men marry White ladies...

I have absolutely NO room to be offended by an African man's dating choices. It all depends on how important their culture is to them. My culture is a part of who I am. My view is as long as that woman appreciates his culture, embraces his family, and will pass that culture on to their children she is ok with me. Is she willing to go to Nigeria? Is she willing to embrace the traditional elements of Nigerian culture? Will she learn about the food and the language and teach it to their future children? Is she willing to have a traditional wedding? I had to ask my partner these things, because they matter to me. He knows that it is part of the package.

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Really off topic but Lima your story reminds me of this 50 something yt guy I saw casually wearing a dashiki the other day.LOL

Just casually walking around in a dashiki? Maybe he was an African Studies professor or something. There must be an explanation.

Posted By: JamCaygirl
Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:04pm
Why are people so invested in having other people act the way they want them to? Can't people just live? So because someone is African they should automatically be pro natural hair? Who's really prejudiced here....

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

Why are people so invested in having other people act the way they want them to? Can't people just live? So because someone is African they should automatically be pro natural hair? Who's really prejudiced here....

So you cool with self-hate? That's what up.

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:09pm

Just casually walking around in a dashiki? Maybe he was an African Studies professor or something. There must be an explanation.
Lawd maybe so. There are plenty of colleges around NC. He was bald but if he had hair I'm sure he'd have a black power fist pick in his pocket.LOL

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:12pm

No. They don't have to be pro natural hair. No one has to like natural hair, but at least at a hair salon they shouldn't be clowning you for it. The concept should be reasonable enough that the entire salon doesn't stop to come and look at your hair or people shouldn't routinely question why your hair is natural. I don't know, seems reasonable enough to me anyway. 

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:15pm

and the odd thing is, who is african producing those african products for? id hazard a guess and say the african back home

and another thing, with all the shaming of africa that is done by everyone, at the end of the day should we really surprised if they become embarrassed of themselves?

and while im still on it its estimated that as little as less than 20 % of africa is developed who exactly are we talking about here?

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:15pm

Yes people should be able to live with other people opressing them into values that are not there own. If you dont feel beautiful with the way your hair is growing out of your scalp then I feel somethings wrong. With your own brown skin tone and you have to put bleach on it then yes something is wrong.... I cant control anyone only myself and I feel by not saying something I am agreeing with it. We are BEATUIFUL- and there is nothing wrong with saying that

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:16pm
the irony is african women probably take their hair cues more from AA women than white women

lol

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:17pm
*I can feel it coming in the air tonight...*

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:20pm
Well, if it goes there, it won't be me. Peace and love.

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:23pm
I don't understand where this is going.
We should be cool with Africans hating themselves because AA do too?

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

is that what was said?

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:29pm

Its one thing to expect to walk out of the plane and see a crowd of people wearing dashikis with pet monkeys on their shoulders, and its another thing entirely to expect an African woman not find her own hair texture unsightly.  Yeah, stereotypes are unfair, but expecting Africans to be accepting of their hair texture, skin shade or eye color is totally reasonable.

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

is that what was said?

That's what I inferred from what you said. 
Please clarify.

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:52pm

the irony is african women probably take their hair cues more from AA women than white women

lol

boom LOL LOL LOL

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 8:01pm

http://www.tumblr.com/hello_lightbox/alyssaedwards-1/51753560226?follow_source=FOLLOW_SOURCE_BLOG_LIGHTBOX#" rel="nofollow"> http://www.tumblr.com/hello_lightbox/alyssaedwards-1/51753560226?follow_source=FOLLOW_SOURCE_BLOG_LIGHTBOX#" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 8:05pm

is that what was said?

Please clarify.

I don't understand either. Its hard for me to understand why one wouldn't think a continent full of black people (with a history that expands to the beginning of the human race) wouldn't have more acceptance of black beauty than a country where black people only make up 12% of the population.

Why should we not be surprised/upset by this?

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 8:07pm
In my experience I've only met really proud Nigerians and a Cameroon "coon"

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 8:08pm
I agree that AA trends influence African hair trends (look at lace fronts), but natural hair is still not accepted there, while in the US there is a movement to sort of force acceptance.

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 8:22pm
When I was in my campus' African student union group, there were plenty of proud Africans there...And a token yt guy.LOL

Posted By: CamiK
Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 8:23pm
So yall feel like the masses of Africans are highly influenced by Europeans?  If so, I disagree...

Date Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 11:56pm

No. They don't have to be pro natural hair. No one has to like natural hair, but at least at a hair salon they shouldn't be clowning you for it. The concept should be reasonable enough that the entire salon doesn't stop to come and look at your hair or people shouldn't routinely question why your hair is natural. I don't know, seems reasonable enough to me anyway. 

What I'm wondering is why this should be expected more in Africa than elsewhere.... I got told I should relax my natural hair in a salon in NYC... that will happen anywhere you find ignorant people, to which Africa is not immune...
You are expecting Africans, a whole continent, to act a certain way, based on nothing more than your pre-conceived ideas on how they should act, and if they don't , it's self hate...

You will find people from all walks of life, with all types of values from Africa, its a freaking continent with over a billion people....

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:02am

What I'm wondering is why this should be expected more in Africa than elsewhere.... I got told I should relax my natural hair in a salon in NYC... that will happen anywhere you find ignorant people, to which Africa is not immune...
You are expecting Africans, a whole continent, to act a certain way, based on nothing more than your pre-conceived ideas on how they should act, and if they don't , it's self hate...

You will find people from all walks of life, with all types of values from Africa, its a freaking continent with over a billion people....

I think you've missed the point, and that is ok.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:03am

Its one thing to expect to walk out of the plane and see a crowd of people wearing dashikis with pet monkeys on their shoulders, and its another thing entirely to expect an African woman not find her own hair texture unsightly.  Yeah, stereotypes are unfair, but expecting Africans to be accepting of their hair texture, skin shade or eye color is totally reasonable.

Shouldn't be limited to Africans, thats the point I'm making... Why are we singling out Africa? I live in a predominantly black nation and I still get ignorant comments about my natural hair... As i said ignorant people are everywhere

And the fact that anyone would think Africa is immune to the effects of the worldwide propaganda that holds European women as the standard of beauty is laughable.  Show me one nation it hasn't touched....

Skin bleaching in India
Double eyelid surgery in parts of Asia etc

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:05am
This thread is about Africa. We were sharing experiences about Africa. That is why we only sited examples in Africa.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:12am

There are just so many inferences made in this post that were not stated or even implied. No one said that Africa should be immune from European or American influence. No one suggested that Africans were a monolithic group. As Africans, most of us understand the varying ideas and viewpoints of Africans. Nigeria alone has over 200 tribes. The experiences shared in this thread were rooted in a desire that even more viewpoints and ideas will be shared and accepted in Africa. If this thread was about Europe or America, then those same desires and experiences would be shared about Europe or America, but this thread is about Africa.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:12am
I brought up other cultures  since I was highlighting that all cultures are affected by the world holding up European women as the standard of beauty.... couldn't really argue the point of it affecting all cultures if I only mentioned one....

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:15am
we talk about self hate in America all the damn time and no one ever plays the "but others do it too" card.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:19am

There are just so many inferences made in this post that were not stated or even implied. No one said that Africa should be immune from European or American influence. No one suggested that Africans were a monolithic group. As Africans, most of us understand the varying ideas and viewpoints of Africans. Nigeria alone has over 200 tribes. The experiences shared in this thread were rooted in a desire that even more viewpoints and ideas will be shared and accepted in Africa. If this thread was about Europe or America, then those same desires and experiences would be shared about Europe or America, but this thread is about Africa.

Referring to "Africans" and "Mama Africa" does not provoke thoughts of diversity,................. but anyway, if it is commonly understood that Africans are as influenced by Americans and Europeans as anyone else, why the confusion as to how some Africans are so Europeanised?Confused

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:23am
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

we talk about self hate in America all the damn time and no one ever plays the "but others do it too" card.

Actually I've seen people doing it on here...

To be clear, I am not advocating self hate

I just dont get why people thought Africans would have less self hate than the next person of colour, and I am merely suggesting that some peoples views of Africa when it comes to cultural identification are ill conceived and overly romanticised...

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:28am

There are just so many inferences made in this post that were not stated or even implied. No one said that Africa should be immune from European or American influence. No one suggested that Africans were a monolithic group. As Africans, most of us understand the varying ideas and viewpoints of Africans. Nigeria alone has over 200 tribes. The experiences shared in this thread were rooted in a desire that even more viewpoints and ideas will be shared and accepted in Africa. If this thread was about Europe or America, then those same desires and experiences would be shared about Europe or America, but this thread is about Africa.

Referring to "Africans" and "Mama Africa" does not provoke thoughts of diversity,................. but anyway, if it is commonly understood that Africans are as influenced by Americans and Europeans as anyone else, why the confusion as to how some Africans are so Europeanised?Confused

No one is confused or surprised. Some simply expressed a desire for Africans to have more pride in Africa. That includes African products, the African culture, and yes African beauty.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:38am
I will say, I wasn't surprised that my hair was uncommon. I did find it interesting that everyone thought my hair texture was so strange. Nigerians are really into Brazilian hair right now too. I came there with Kinky Straight hair, and my cousin asked why I would every buy hair like that. I wasn't bothered by that though. There are women on the board who feel the same way, so it isn't a strange view. As it's been said before, no one has to life your hair.

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 1:22am

Ha ha!

Caribbean people are just as accepting, i've seen some dress in traditional african type clothing i don't see that with american blacks. IA with some latin american countries though. 

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 1:33am

I'm hoping to go to Nigeria (for the first time) in the not-too-distant future and here I am with my dark skin, natural hair and love of all things African and traditional...oh wellLOL Cool
could you imagine a BHM meet up there thoughDead errbody including kocky would look lost

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:55am
Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

could you imagine a BHM meet up there thoughDead errbody including kocky would look lost
lost?

i dont think..

dont let the chris eubank swag fool you,

im still very much african through and through lovey

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:57am

is that what was said?

Please clarify.
no. that chick said africans hold beauty and hair standard from europeans, i was clarifying that they take their hair cues from aa women, my comment was not lets absolve them of their alleged cooning

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 8:22am
Sooo much insight from soo many people who've never lived there. Africans have self hate issues just like the rest of the dispora but this underlying theme that AA are somehow more proud to be black because Africans are soo self hating needs to go. Both groups are equally tainted. In Africa I can watch TV and see black people who look like me the majority of the time. That's a rarity here and it's not because dark AAs don't exist. It's becauae the community devalues us more than in the African community. But, in the US I see many more naturals walking around and that's because Africans have a general idea that their hair is ugly.

Same ish different continent.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 8:41am

is that what was said?

Please clarify.
no. that chick said africans hold beauty and hair standard from europeans, i was clarifying that they take their hair cues from aa women, my comment was not lets absolve them of their alleged cooning

Splitting hairs, but not what I said. I don't think they actively hold beauty and hair standard from europeans....but they are passively affected by the world holding white women as the standard of beauty...
people dont even acknowledge that is what is happening, which is why you get people with silky weaves, bleached out skins and contacts swearing fo God that they arent coons and love being black...

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 8:53am

lost?

i dont think..

dont let the chris eubank swag fool you,

im still very much african through and through lovey
chriss eubankDead

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 8:58am

is that what was said?

Please clarify.

Splitting hairs, but not what I said. I don't think they actively hold beauty and hair standard from europeans....but they are passively affected by the world holding white women as the standard of beauty...
people dont even acknowledge that is what is happening, which is why you get people with silky weaves, bleached out skins and contacts swearing fo God that they arent coons and love being black...
i was referring to lima

Posted By: Omni Harmony
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:48pm

If the government started a program to sponsor Blacks who wanted to go back to Africa, would u join?

You will get/own 15 acres in the African nation of your choice.

The land would come with a 3 bedroom home and a car.

You get $150,000 (USD) to spend how ever you want and you get an extra $50,000 for every minor you take with you (no more than 3).
Travel expenses covered.

You just cant come back to the US. And if found back in the country you will serve a mandatory life sentence.

You *&%^$#@Ein with it?

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:52pm
^Fucc that, the whole earth was meant to be ours...

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:54pm
the whole Blacks going back to Africa thing has happened in the past. It never worked out well.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Omni Harmony Omni Harmony wrote:

If the government started a program to sponsor Blacks who wanted to go back to Africa, would u join?

You will get/own 15 acres in the African nation of your choice

You get $150,000 (USD) to spend how ever you want and you get an extra $50,000 for every minor you take with you (no more than 3).

You just cant come back to the US. And if found back in the country you will serve a mandatory life sentence.

with africans still fighting for land repatriation from the whites, the africans back in africa will mostly tell you, fucck you very much ask you what entitles you to 'their' land?

think israel and palestine

also that would result in the devaluation of the us dollar..

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:02pm

Ha ha!

Caribbean people are just as accepting, i've seen some dress in traditional african type clothing i don't see that with american blacks. IA with some latin american countries though. 

Was just about to ask Uppity where the Caribbean falls? I see her leaving us out of the equation completely *vexed* lol

O/T My church is going to Africa next year and best believe I will be on that trip. I've haven't been to church in years and I have no idea where they're going .....not ashamedCool

Posted By: Eden.
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:06pm
i wanted to say that dianne but i know someone gonna jump up with 'but bleaching!!11!' and 'we seen kartel, try agaain'

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:07pm
Omni go back to who to where and cause a $hitload more problems?! No i don't think a mass/or miniscule exodus to Africa can be the answer. Ok Afro answered.

Eden LOL is not only we bleach all parts of the diaspora do and I dare anyone to say otherwise.

Jamaicans do embrace their blackness and their natural hair, they always have. The Rastafar religion/Teachings of Marcus Garvey also strengthened that. But again black make up the majority here. No i wont lie and say you won't get the taunting "creme (relaxe) your hair!" "are you Christian" " You head look bad" and such but natural hair has always been in>

But i do agree that more and more yardies are turning to natural hair and yes its a direct response to AA hair trends and hair care boards/blogs YTubers, that's a fact! When i saw SiliconMix in a BSS out here  i chuckled to myself and said thanks Sexib.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:09pm
nigguhs run into ten nigguhs in africa who dont like kinky hair

then alluvasudden the billion plus africans be cooning

that sh*t is hilarious maaaan!!

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Omni Harmony Omni Harmony wrote:

You will get/own 15 acres in the African nation of your choice.

Travel expenses covered.

You *&%^$#@Ein with it?

Wtf. First of all to the underlined, that would mean you would most likely be displacing native Africans from their rightful homes so naaaaaay to this whole concept.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:23pm
Wait so the majority actually believe that Africans are more accepting of European norms than other blacks?

I would be hard pressed to find an African who would dig centuries into their lineage to find one drop of non-African blood...or who cling onto their great great great grandmother's daugther's pet rodent's chew toy being half Native American just to feel some sense of worthiness. 

Point being every group has its flaws.

All of the Africans with the exception of a few that I have met have been proudly African but have unfortunately succumbed to European standards of beauty, living, etc etc just like the rest of the diaspora.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:24pm
Why should I?
The newly freed slaves didn't even get down with Monrovia and the Back to Africa Movment why should I several years removed?
Gimme all that ish here thanks

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:32pm
My sister is really into African movies and often forces me to watch them with herDead.  The plots are usually awful, acting is worse and the thing I hate is that every woman in the movie has a perm and tight clothes.   I'm always thinking they shouldn't mimic certain parts of our AA image, hair perming was number one but I never thought about that bugged me.  I will say I know that these movies probably represented the worse but the same is true of how only a subset of what we are is represented in Hollywood. 

Anyhoo, I blame the perming of Afro-textured hair and almost everything wrong, everywhere on white EuropeansLOL

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:35pm

No one said every African is a coon. 

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:49pm
I can't be mad at the posters that are argumentative. I guess they are defensive when people are critical of Africa. That is commendable. Let's talk about what we like about Africa, since sharing natural hair stories seems to strike a nerve with people.

There are a ton of self-acceptance issues Africans don't struggle with. For instance, despite the bleaching issue, I think Africans are more accepting for African features (dark skin, full lips, a broad nose, etc). As another poster said, it is wonderful to be in a place and see people that look like you and a standard of beauty that can be attained in magazines, on billboards, in movies, on television. I LOOOOOOOOOVE the music, and everywhere I've been in Africa the music is everywhere (in the streets, in the stores). Something about Africa is whimsical (for me). I instantly felt warmth and happiness. I loved the bustling streets, the music in the air, the periodic call the prayer, the religious diversity, the joy of the people, the style, and the food. It is nice to not be the racial minority, for once.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:51pm
@ Lim - I love the food.  YumHeart

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Wait so the majority actually believe that Africans are more accepting of European norms than other blacks?

I would be hard pressed to find an African who would dig centuries into their lineage to find one drop of non-African blood...or who cling onto their great great great grandmother's daugther's pet rodent's chew toy being half Native American just to feel some sense of worthiness

All of the Africans with the exception of a few that I have met have been proudly African but have unfortunately succumbed to European standards of beauty, living, etc etc just like the rest of the diaspora.
They don't have to. Most Africans have an identity of who their are, their lineage, tribes and where they came from.
Negroes in the Americas don't.

Earlier this week, this high yella lady from Mozambique boldly told us that us AA's are the only ones who make colorism and racism an issue. "In Africa, we don't worry about that". Come to find out this bish dad is white and came from a well to do family. Words couldn't describe how badly I wanted to choke a bishStern Smile

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

@ Lim - I love the food.  YumHeart

Me too! I went to a restaurant where they took a catfish out of the fish tank by hand, and cooked it on an open fire (mixed it with spices and potatoes). It was amazing! The fruit is the best I've ever had. I had a house person that got me fresh mangoes every day. There was a big push toward fresh eating when I was there, so there were smoothie shops everywhere. The smoothies were pretty good too.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

I would be hard pressed to find an African who would dig centuries into their lineage to find one drop of non-African blood...or who cling onto their great great great grandmother's daugther's pet rodent's chew toy being half Native American just to feel some sense of worthiness

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">They don't have to. Most Africans have an identity of who their are, their lineage, tribes and where they came from.

Earlier this week, this high yella lady from Mozambique boldly told us that us AA's are the only ones who make colorism and racism an issue. "In Africa, we don't worry about that". Come to find out this bish dad is white and came from a well to do family. Words couldn't describe how badly I wanted to choke a bishStern Smile

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:01pm

well,

you coulda fooled me

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:13pm
My sisters bf is African and a few months ago he bought a goat and some chickens from the African market.  She was good with the chickens but they only got to cook one because the Asians next door stole some of them.

She felt too sorry for the goat and let him go after a few days.  He was so madLOL.  Now he has to get all of his meat from the African butcher or hide them from her because she is so emotional about the goats. 

She's young though.  I was like girl yo momma is from Virginia.  You're too young to remember all the stories about her bringing home live animals.  Nothing tastes more delicious than FRESH MEATLOL

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:24pm

I just don't see the point is disputing the obvious. Anyone who has been to Africa, who watches African movies, who knows African people will tell you that natural hair is not common. It isn't a big deal. I'm sure over time it will become more accepted, but just dismissing people's life experience and personal accounts as anecdotal just seems argumentative for no reason to me. Confused I'm not trying to start a beef. I'm just saying.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:26pm
Mmmm, making negative blanket statements in discussions. This method always works well.Stern SmileLOL

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:37pm

Mmmm, making negative blanket statements in discussions. This method always works well.Stern SmileLOL

So Fail?:

Anyhoo, I blame the perming of Afro-textured hair and almost everything wrong, everywhere on white EuropeansLOL

I did say *almost, does that countLOLLOL

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:37pm
Blanket statements in general not just negative ones but of course people are more receptive to positive stereotypes

Posted By: CamiK
Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:40pm
I think we all need to pull back and look at the bigger picture here...White ppl aint sh*t!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:42pm

So Fail?:

I did say *almost, does that countLOLLOL
I stand corrected! This may be one of the few exceptions I agree with in this thread.LOL

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by CamiK CamiK wrote:

I think we all need to pull back and look at the bigger picture here...White ppl aint sh*t!!!!!!!!

I agree. I think the topic was originally about celebrating African culture, but in sharing experiences of the effects of colonization (I won't site Europe specifically, since that was converted issue for some), disputing the minor issues overtakes the big picture. It has still be a rather peaceful discussion though, and what is discussion without disagreement.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:47pm

I stand corrected! This may be one of the few exceptions I agree with in this thread.LOL

See!!!!

Okay and here's another exception for you:

Originally posted by CamiK CamiK wrote:

/thread closed

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

They don't have to. Most Africans have an identity of who their are, their lineage, tribes and where they came from.

lol she lied to you. Skin color is still a major issue but I don't like how some are portraying AA's as less inclined to be swayed by European images or as if the AA community is more accepting of their blackness. Sorry, I just had to call bullsheit on that. 

And you'd be surprised how mixing affected Africans, too. Remember the trade started with us. You couldn't tell my lineage by looking at me but I know there's some Euro in me. I just don't acknowledge it because it doesn't matter to me. Why should it? *shrug*

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:52pm
Lmao! Y'all are right. I need to keep my eye on the ball and remember what's most important.

Kinda OT: Who is the member that says yt people are soulless creatures?LOL

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:57pm

lol she lied to you. Skin color is still a major issue but I don't like how some are portraying AA's as less inclined to be swayed by European images or as if the AA community is more accepting of their blackness. Sorry, I just had to call bullsheit on that. 

And you'd be surprised how mixing affected Africans, too. Remember the trade started with us. You couldn't tell my lineage by looking at me but I know there's some Euro in me. I just don't acknowledge it because it doesn't matter to me. Why should it? *shrug*

But no one said Africans were more accepting of European norms than Blacks. The topic wasn't about comparing Blacks outside of Africa to Blacks in Africa. The topic was about concern for an increased European influence in Africa. Natural hair just came up, and that is one of the few issues that AAs have been at the forefront of. It doesn't speak to all issues of diaspora. I agree that Blacks in Africa is less influences about European norms than Blacks in other places.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:58pm
I actually think the topic was kind of doomed from jump street. On another note, I am happy that people have taken to defending Africa.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:58pm

Lmao! Y'all are right. I need to keep my eye on the ball and remember what's most important.

Kinda OT: Who is the member that says yt people are soulless creatures?LOL

Yes hunty - get your priorities skraight.

IDK who said that but my mom actually believes the story of Yacub.  As far as she's concerned they were made in an oven by an evil scientist and they have no souls.  But fear not, she hates black people to but at least we have souls.  Duh. 

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 4:07pm
lol kfoxx. After what you told me about mamakfoxx, I'm not about to even think of correcting her about the black folk part. At all.

And Lima, IA. It's a nice change of pace in TTT.Big smile

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 4:10pm

You can call bullsh!t on it all you want. The fact of the matter is that all of it results from centuries of rape, robbery, murder, lies and oppression from crakkkas. Lets not forget that.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 4:11pm

Ha ha!

That.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 4:12pm

I actually think the topic was kind of doomed from jump street. On another note, I am happy that people have taken to defending Africa.

Giiirl all day every day. 

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 4:15pm
cc that woman is crazy.  If a white person says something about blacks she's ready to get her knife out.  I just let her do her, took me years to realize she's bipolarLOL

Date Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 4:39pm
See things got interesting here.

I stand by my statement.  Black Americans have the advantage of living amongst whites and constantly being reminded that no matter how attractive they are, no matter how successful they are, and no matter how much they assimilate to mainstream white culture, whites still look down on them for the simple fact that they are black.  The self hate phenomenon started being addressed in their community long ago with the Black Power movement and things of that nature because they are face-to-face with their haters everyday.

Africans are isolated from this kind of interaction so they feel more comfortable in their self hatred.  Ask a Black American how many members of their family currently bleach or have bleached in the past.  Now ask an African.  I'm pretty sure I have at least a dozen members in my family I can name.  That is the norm in Nigeria and many African countries.

People who are isolated from perpetual racism don't feel like they need to address internalized self-hate because they only receive positive reactions from it.  You wear green contacts, 24 inches of Brazilian hair, and bleach your skin in Nigeria, the reaction is "you go girl, you looking good."  You do the same in the US and white people will turn up their nose at you the same way they would any other black woman.  So what's the sense in giving them ammunition and hating yourself while they hate you too?

Yeah they have their issues too, but they are (and have been) trying to address them for some time now. 

Date Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 3:47am

See things got interesting here.

I stand by my statement.  Black Americans have the advantage of living amongst whites and constantly being reminded that no matter how attractive they are, no matter how successful they are, and no matter how much they assimilate to mainstream white culture, whites still look down on them for the simple fact that they are black.  The self hate phenomenon started being addressed in their community long ago with the Black Power movement and things of that nature because they are face-to-face with their haters everyday.

Africans are isolated from this kind of interaction so they feel more comfortable in their self hatred.  Ask a Black American how many members of their family currently bleach or have bleached in the past.  Now ask an African.  I'm pretty sure I have at least a dozen members in my family I can name.  That is the norm in Nigeria and many African countries.

People who are isolated from perpetual racism don't feel like they need to address internalized self-hate because they only receive positive reactions from it.  You wear green contacts, 24 inches of Brazilian hair, and bleach your skin in Nigeria, the reaction is "you go girl, you looking good."  You do the same in the US and white people will turn up their nose at you the same way they would any other black woman.  So what's the sense in giving them ammunition and hating yourself while they hate you too?

Yeah they have their issues too, but they are (and have been) trying to address them for some time now. 

What a load of sh*te..

Clearly you need to spend more time in Africa before you speak on Africans being isolated from " this type of racism"

And the fact that you talk about self hate and that not being a consequence of racism for Africans is ludicrous

Or maybe this is just a Nigerian phenomena you speak on.. ..

Print Page | Close Window