Print Page | Close Window

Keep up the momentum: what have you done?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=362273
Printed Date: Oct 20 2017 at 4:08am

Topic: Keep up the momentum: what have you done?
Posted By: noneyons
Subject: Keep up the momentum: what have you done?
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:20pm
I'm so afraid that we will lose focus after the zimmerman sensationalism dies down so I'm hoping that this thread will help keep up the momentum. 

Let's share our daily contributions to our community; no matter how big, or how small. let us inspire one another to keep pushing, keep our eye on the prize. 

hopefully this thread will become a sticky?

I'll start:

can't say i contributed much today. i did smile and speak to every black person i came in close contact with and held their gaze for a second longer than i usually do. it warms my heart that everyone was receptive to my gesture. 

i also helped a little ole lady parked next to me at the store load groceries in her car. she talked my head off the entire time LOLbut i enjoyed her conversation. 

i use to volunteer with hands on atlanta or at this organization called "cool girls" at least 3x's a month but i've fallen off. i plan on hopping back on that train next week. 

so what did you do today?

Replies:
Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:26pm
Today? I was getting my brow situation right and a Black little boy and his dad were asking for donations for the local city b-ball team. They were working in conjunction with the frozen yogurt place in the shopping center. I'm broke but I made sure to donate a little money. I'm glad I ran into them today.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:27pm
yay, cc!!!

come on guys, more more!

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:29pm
unfortunately.....nothing...I know this is no excuse...but this weather has me extremely sluggish and tired(no excuse)...but i am staying on top of this tragic event..as long as the media keeps reporting this story I don[t think it will die...and we as black people keep on top AND GET INVOLVED of this it will never die til we see justice for the Martin family and mostly Trayvon  ( i just love that name)  TRAYVON..

just asking is there a donation site where one can contribute $$ to help the Martin family or something?

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:31pm
I applied to volunteer at a couple of Black non profits since the verdict came out. Thats about it so far. But of course I've done things in the past.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:32pm
I will try to keep it up noneyons.

Helping a Black person with groceries, giving good advice, shunning a cracka, whatever. Let's go BHM!Thumbs Up

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:32pm
thanks for your honesty, dior.

i don't do my part every day. sometimes i be in them streets looking grumpy as hell or i stay cooped up in my house cause i don't want to be bothered so i can totally relate  LOL

hopefully we will inspire each other to do more.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:35pm
that's awesome, cr! i love it!!!

and cc, at work after the verdict, i look right through them yt folks like they're clear for real. LOLof course i'm respectful with it. but only because i don't have a choice. 

Posted By: LadyAradia
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:36pm
THREE WAYS TO GET JUSTICE FOR TRAYVON MARTIN:

1) Sign and share NAACP petition -  http://www.naacp.org/page/s/doj-civil-rights-petition" rel="nofollow - http://www.naacp.org/page/s/
2) Sign and share WhiteHouse petition -  https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/civil-rights-prosecution-george-zimmerman-united-states-department-justice-death-trayvon-martin/LkGHz0VH" rel="nofollow - https://

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:36pm
I cried today....took while for it to hit. I am not sure if I am gonna try to create a database of local black busineses, add to the app already made or start a 30 day buy black only trial.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:38pm
thanks ladyaradia (i wasn't able to pull up the petition site yesterday but it is working now.) and nita! keep the stories coming!

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:41pm
Heatwave here. Checked on some of our elderly and delivered food and fans where needed. depending on weather, I'll do more of that tomorrow.  

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:43pm
oh, that's not related to tray though. Guess I read wrong.

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:44pm
I know this is going to sound real fcked up....how can I volunteer or visit the black only residents and patients?

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:44pm
i love it, purp! doing it big!

keep it up, lady!

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

I know this is going to sound real fcked up....how can I volunteer or visit the black only residents and patients?

this is what I do

eta: in the areas I visit, all residents are black.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:45pm
no, purp. it doesn't have to be directly related to trayvon. this thread is about our contributions in general.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:46pm
I've gotten a headache.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:48pm
thanks so very much for your contribution, sangStern Smile very inspiring.

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by LadyAradia LadyAradia wrote:

THREE WAYS TO GET JUSTICE FOR TRAYVON MARTIN:

1) Sign and share NAACP petition -  http://www.naacp.org/page/s/doj-civil-rights-petition" rel="nofollow - http://www.naacp.org/page/s/
2) Sign and share WhiteHouse petition -  https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/civil-rights-prosecution-george-zimmerman-united-states-department-justice-death-trayvon-martin/LkGHz0VH" rel="nofollow - https://

thanks for the links...I signed a petition on the NAACP website,,but I ain't signing nothing on the whitehouse one...don't trust dem gov't folks...
3rd one I did...

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

It doesn't sound fcuked up to me!

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 8:59pm
come on yall. i know yall got some stories to share. even if all you did today was loan your homegirl a dub so she can pay her phone bill. 

don't let this thread die.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 9:02pm
I trust BHM ladies are doing good things and doing good things for other Black people.Heart

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 9:11pm
^^^either way, i'm a woman on a mission. i'm motivated to do more tomorrow. can't make no promises, but i'll try.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 9:13pm
Today during break me and my advisor talked about him being helping me start a black group on campus specifically focused on black politics and socio economic issues. He's helping me submit the proposals and get funding from SGA .
Like a black student think tank.

There is a black student leaders group on campus but their focus is completely different .

Sunday me and my friend went to the Greenville Rally it was storming but met some people who were already in town.

Encouraging my friends and fb friends to buy as black as they can.

I'm encouraging my little sis to maybe start something back at home

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 9:18pm
thank you, jonesie! i have no doubts that you are doing your part to help the community.

Posted By: Addicted19034
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 9:23pm
A white woman asked me for money to pay for her meter and I said no

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 9:25pm
CryLOLClapClap i love it! 

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 9:26pm
Didn't do anything today but ya'll really got me looking into more black owned businesses. Tomorrow I plan on switching my mini me to this black owned pediatrician since I was going to switch her to a different doctor anyway.

Originally posted by Addicted19034 Addicted19034 wrote:

IDK why I found this funny lol

Posted By: ayoung
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 9:27pm
I'm a high school teacher in a predominantly black school and have been thinking of the needs of my kids and starting a group this fall. Nothing concrete yet though...still in the brainstorming phase

I also downloaded what i needed to apply to be a big sister in my area.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 9:28pm
supporting black businesses and black doctors! go head girl!Clap

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 9:28pm

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 9:33pm
thank you ayoung! i've always wanted to be a big sister but that's a lot of responsibility. very admirable of you! 

and i have so much respect for teachers! go girl!

Posted By: SeducTress
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 10:09pm
I chatted with my little sister and her friends. I *hate* differentiating our relation...but it's all relative.

She's my foster sister.
I travel to her apartment/hood/building as often as possible.
All the young gals gather around me for advice on guys. (19-22)
So I lure em in with juicy stories of my youth lls.

After we have a few dranks I morph into Sorjouner TruthStern Smile

They neva' see it coming. 

So I contributed today by roaming into the "trenches"

Laaaaaaaaaaaawd the stench in that building is horrific. I tap out in 3 hours. LOL

Posted By: SeducTress
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 10:10pm
Awesome thread noneyons!

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 10:16pm
thank you seductress! it is so important that we give back and show the younger generation of girls that we aint all stuck up and sadity. that we can relate to their plight and that we have their backs. i love love it love it!

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 10:18pm
Wrote letters sent emails ..may participate in a rally this weekend ...really want to take my oldest son but people are crazy

Also I haven't cursed out a yt person.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 10:23pm
thank you rummy. i haven't wrote one single letter or sent a single email and i am ashamed.

because of beautiful black women like you, change will come on a macroscale whether you are able to get in the trenches or not. 

thank you girl!

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 10:31pm
I haven't do anything special...but I did add more black songs to my ipod Big smileLOL

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 10:34pm
that's a start, bb LOL support black artists!

hopefully your list doesn't include lil wayne and the likeStern Smile

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 10:36pm
I can't say I did anything monetarily today..as of yet but I am planning to do business with the black bank 5 minutes from my house..before the week is out.  As far as volunteering and such....i'm not gone lie...I can't promise that but I can promise to be more aware of community programs and make monetary pledges.   No matter how small.  If I got $50 for TJMaxx then I have $50 for a community program.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

Does Kanye count? lol

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 10:39pm

fucc yeah! *fist pump* oh wait....fucc it. *sharper fist pump*

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 10:39pm
girl, that reminds me that citizen's trust bank here in atlanta is black owned and i need to support them. i honestly used to pass by one of their branches everyday on my way to work and always in the back of my mind i'd think to myself, i need to open up an account with them. but i never did. 

maybe i'll start a small saving account. hell, why not?

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Does Kanye count? lol

kanye is a fence straddler but some of his music does have a little bit of redeemable traits. 

i guess you get a pass with kanye. i guess...LOL

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 10:47pm
I can't leave home for a fews days after my release from the Hospital , but i sign another petition for Trayvon and the stand your ground laws. I hope i can particpate in the next young man Trial due a racist dog . The family is really going to need support after Trayvon verdict . I saw some of the same things in the 60's We have more power,money  and education . Let's use everything we have to stand together .

Non blacks like Arabic folk own everything in our hoods and hire family. We need to do the same and protest the racist banks that refuse our loans. Have you ever seen a chinese nail shop with a black employee ? Where are the applications as a equal employer by law ? We can make a change if we ask questions and demand answers .

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 10:51pm
indiaHug

we don't interact much but i love you, sista. 

i agree with everything you said!

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Wrote letters sent emails ..may participate in a rally this weekend ...really want to take my oldest son but people are crazy

Also I haven't cursed out a yt person.

you done good!Thumbs Up

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:09pm
I sent an email about Trayvoning to a CNN newsource and an email showing my dissapointment in them showing the tweets asking for the death of GZ, but their neglect to show how a lot of disgusting individuals think it is funny to make fun of what happened to an innoncent black teenager.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:11pm
I want to joint a rally. Been looking all over the media. There was one in my area, but I saw it on the news after it was done.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:17pm
thanks, keepgrowing!

again, the emails and letters may seem insignificant to the bench warmers, but if it weren't for persistence and dedication of women like you, zimmerman would have never even been arrested in the first place. 

keep it up, girlie!

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:18pm
I don't know how people stay calm during times like this.

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:18pm
I gave change to a Black woman at the grocery store.  It was only 2 cent but I didn't want her to have to break another 20.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:21pm
For sure noneyons! I keep waking up so depressed by the current events. Saw on another forum that their facebook friend posted "remember to set your clocks 50 years back". Scary times. Or I guess my eyes are just open now to see how much they really devalue blacks vs. whites.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:25pm
@ash, even the smallest of gestures can cause a major ripple effect.

my local news once ran a story about a person that paid an extra .50 cents at the toll booth for the person behind them, and what seemed like a small insignificant gesture, turned out to trickle down even further. every person after the first paid for the next person and the momentum carried well into the evening. 

you did good, girl! keep it up!

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

I gave change to a Black woman at the grocery store.  It was only 2 cent but I didn't want her to have to break another 20.

it's little things like this that can help destroy the image of black women being just mean and hateful.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:33pm
Question...This may have been answered already.. but is there anything going on to get the "stand your ground" law completely  revised. I know that if GZ was found guilty that was a huge fear for the NRA ...and their  donated to his defense as well as some folks from Fox whos also in bed with the NRA....GZ being found not guilty may have them feeling a little comfortable that it may stay as it is...and id like to change that.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:36pm
i don't know, gkisses. but i agree that the law definitely needs to be changed. 

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:45pm
I'll look around see...Ive noticed talk about changing it has died down....SleepyI also sent a message out to the presidents of the AA clubs from uni and the Frat and Soro groups .... seeing if they could take special interest in doing "big sister, big brother" bid this semester...Ive yet to hear back from there but ...I hope to create an open dialog with them and for them to reach out to other chapters  do do this even if it means creating it ourselves. There are some blk males who volunteer already but not enough.... and I think a positive male role model is even more effective for both young girls and boys but especially young boys.

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:50pm
I paid for a black womans iteme at the register today. Her card kept declining. I had an altercation with a white woman earlier so I needed something positive to focus on.

I wish there were more black owned stores to buy food at here.

Im taking baby steps.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:50pm
keep us updated on what you find out about ratifying that law. 

and ayong mentioned that she wants to be a big sister as well. i hope both of you go through with it. i commend you!

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:51pm
I wish I felt like I would be a good mentor or else I would mentor young black girls.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Question...This may have been answered already.. but is there anything going on to get the "stand your ground" law completely  revised. I know that if GZ was found guilty that was a huge fear for the NRA ...and their  donated to his defense as well as some folks from Fox whos also in bed with the NRA....GZ being found not guilty may have them feeling a little comfortable that it may stay as it is...and id like to change that.
Start here Gkisses . Several kkk fake sites are going around.
,” http://colorofchange.org/campaign/end-shoot-first/" rel="nofollow - - @thenation on Twitter | http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=caN4nSSpSr4RB7acwqm_6l&u=TheNationMagazine" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:54pm
I believe protestors in Florida are crowding the house demanding the law be overturned.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 11:57pm
miss sdy, that is very commendable of you. and i definitely don't consider fronting the bill for a complete stranger a baby step. that's doing it big, doll!

i use to question myself about whether i had anything significant to offer young girls while volunteering. i felt very insecure around the veterans who seemed to be natural fits for such a tremendous undertaking. slowly but surely though, i realized that just being myself, and more importantly, forgetting about myself, was all i needed to step out of my comfort zone. 

the kids just want someone to listen to them, laugh with them, acknowlege them. your presence will be enough. trust me.

eta: they pretty much run the show anywayLOL. you're just there to keep things in order

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 12:00am
I want to partake in this 30 day buy black only trial. I really need help locating black businesses though. 

Are there any black owned sandwich shops in the Dallas/Houston/Austin area? That's all I eat nowadays Cry And my nails, too. And black clothing boutiques that are actually cute and not just full of used 90s dashikis. 

I would love to make the jump. sh*t the Jews do it. We can, too.

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 12:03am
lmao @ 90's dashikisLOL

and yes, girl. if the jews can do it, why the hell can't we? 

iono the answer to your question though. hopefully someone else can chime in.

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 12:10am

miss sdy, that is very commendable of you. and i definitely don't consider fronting the bill for a complete stranger a baby step. that's doing it big, doll!

i use to question myself about whether i had anything significant to offer young girls while volunteering. i felt very insecure around the veterans who seemed to be natural fits for such a tremendous undertaking. slowly but surely though, i realized that just being myself, and more importantly, forgetting about myself, was all i needed to step out of my comfort zone. 

the kids just want someone to listen to them, laugh with them, acknowlege them. your presence will be enough. trust me.

eta: they pretty much run the show anywayLOL. you're just there to keep things in order

You know, and thats exactly why I feel like I can't be a great mentor. I feel insecure sometimes and I wonder what can I offer young girls when I am a work in progress myself. You are right. All they need and want it someone to listen to them..

Her purchase wasnt big. It was 31 dollars and some change. I knew how it felt for her. Just wanted her to see that there are nice ppl still out here, despite me being as angry and hostile as I am. I'm so angry and its been really hard to cope with whats going on..

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 12:16am
girl, i'm trying to tell you, some of them kids are smart as hell and had the sense of old souls. made me feel like, damn, what i am even here for when i still sometimes get flustered and tongue tied in the presence of a sexy man and can barely balance my damn checking account every month? Cry

trust me though, they will look up to you and run up to you with hugs and kisses just because you are a grown woman who cares. 

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 12:29am
Miss Id suggest going younger if you are nervous... K-5.....More often than not those girls who need that "big sis" figure are feeling that insecurity themselves.  The little girl I worked with whole personality changed within a year. Her mother shared how shes more out going and willing to participate in activities and has become a role model of sorts for her siblings. Not saying her mom didnt have a role in that but her mom was also a single parent  so her time was already stretched.  We had our own disagreements but had to talk it out and realize we both wanted the same thing.  The girl is older now and we don't spend as much time together anymore but we still talk often so she can check in..

When you get with older girl you will get a lot of questions...about woman stuff and thats not a comfortable topic for all......you almost have to gauge what you do and dont want to discuss... but id rather they ask then guess. 

Which ever way you go...You would be fineWink

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 1:50am
Im doing a persuasive essay and speech about trayvon.. im going to persuade them to donate, ill be sending a cup or bowl around the class and I'm gonna donate too.   

Im going to make them MFers cry.. im gonna do better than the lawyers (well, i imagine myself to be similar to Guy in the end.. im dramatic). 

i was hesitant cus i dont wanna hear anything negative about tray.. i havent yet... but it just hasnt fully come up (my teacher said something like, "ugh... you got people talking about how they dont even wanna bring kids into this world now.. and how things are so bad right now... things are better than theyve ever been!") and he also said some lil sh*t like, (hypotheticallySleepy) "or.. what if theres a trial and everyones mad at the verdict..? you never really know what exactly happened..." its been like the elephant in the room.. no one has actually mentioned the trial or tray or GZ.. I just squinted and shook my head vigorously (i sit in the front row and we had eye-contact) 

I genuinely like that teacher but i dont give a fck.. if anyone says something negative about him.. i dont know how ill react.. it depends on what/how its said... but plz dont even try it.. the cute indian is in that class and i dont want him to see the rude bish just yet.. everyone in my class is nice to me so i dont think they'll say any crazy ish since they'll see how passionate i am about it.. but idk.. 

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 5:51am
I'm fundig a black owned salon to get my nails done

Even though their prices are double what the others charge

Also this weekend I'm going to compile my black owned businesses for my area

I can't do 100% cause I'm sure there's no grocery stores, but I want to give the majority of my money to black businesses from now on. Also I want to volunteer but I'm struggling because I only want to help the AA community

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 5:57am
I'm also going to two black-owned businesses in my area. I'm sooooooooo excited!

If I see a mother/child walking in this 95 degree heat, I'm gonna offer a ride...

I'm gonna try and find a summer program for black youth to volunteer at...

Sooooo, what have I done? Nothing right now...

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 7:54am
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

I'm also going to two black-owned businesses in my area. I'm sooooooooo excited!

If I see a mother/child walking in this 95 degree heat, I'm gonna offer a ride...

I'm gonna try and find a summer program for black youth to volunteer at...

Sooooo, what have I done? Nothing right now...

ClapSmile

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Miss SDY Miss SDY wrote:

I paid for a black womans iteme at the register today. Her card kept declining. I had an altercation with a white woman earlier so I needed something positive to focus on.

I wish there were more black owned stores to buy food at here.

Im taking baby steps.
That's the problem Im running into as well. 

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 8:03am
So far I am doing a lot of insignificant stuff.

- I like to ride the ass of racist whites in forums when they talk about my little brotha, Trayvon.
- I am currently looking into how to start a charter school and a business in the US.
- I'm stealthily taking away some of the power and influence one of the racist teachers at work has with the Koreans.  Apparently, I am well respected because I am the ONLY teacher who is taking Korean lessons.
- I am helping a black teacher start a pen pal program with students at her school. 
- I am planning to donate money to the Trayvon Martin foundation and start letter writing as soon as I can.

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 9:08am
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

So far I am doing a lot of insignificant stuff.

- I like to ride the ass of racist whites in forums when they talk about my little brotha, Trayvon.
- I am currently looking into how to start a charter school and a business in the US.
- I'm stealthily taking away some of the power and influence one of the racist teachers at work has with the Koreans.  Apparently, I am well respected because I am the ONLY teacher who is taking Korean lessons.
- I am helping a black teacher start a pen pal program with students at her school. 
- I am planning to donate money to the Trayvon Martin foundation and start letter writing as soon as I can.

tokyo, check w/ a university to see if they would be interested in partnering w/ you. a lot of charter schools get their charter (and additional funding) thru universities.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 9:32am
well...i try to do stuff everyday.  i live in an area many in my circle wouldn't.  i think it is extrememly important for young black children to have the ability see and interact with productive role influences in their everyday real lives.

anyway, just the other day, a young lady rang my door bell.  she couldn't have been any older than 13.  she was asking for $100 for her anxiety "medication".  no prescription.  claimed the pharmacy told her she had to get the medication herself and that her parent couldn't get it for her anymore.  when i asked for her address and told her i would need to go speak to her parents she gave me the address but said her parents were out of town *shaq giff*.  clearly, she was lying her azz off.  and, of course i gave her a real talk lecture she will either heed or ignore.  either way, i am sure she will remember the experience...

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 9:39am
i set up a mtg nxt week to expand our mentoring program. hopefully, it will work out like i want it, where an adult would mentor a HSer, who would mentor a MSer, who would mentor an elem. student. so it would be like a family.

Posted By: Junior Jr
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 10:11am

for the church goers, i urge all of you to go to your church's quarterly business meetings and request that your pastor puts the congregation's money into a Black bank

the Black church takes in around $17bn a year which is then put into white banks which they reinvest inthemselves. that new gentrification project happening around the corner from you? your tithes and offering are funding it.

that money could be used to get Black banks on a level in which they could lend to other Blacks. this promotes employment, empowerment, innovation and a lower crime rate.

and if there are any First Lady's reading this, you are now cognizant of how the misuse of our money is hurting us. this is now your responsililty. you have the greatest influence on your husband (usually) so you need to speak up. let's not let the white man get paid off of alla that anymore. speak up and demand.

jr.

Posted By: bg
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 10:12am
Making a conscious effort to buy from/spend with black businesses ONLY (where i can)

Getting all of my prescriptions transferred to a black owned pharmacy that i found in Virginia

Brainstorming ideas to get involved with the youth in my very own neighborhood this summer.

Finding black charities to donate to, this one here in the DMV is great

http://blackstudentfund.org/wordpress" rel="nofollow - http://blackstudentfund.org/wordpress

Keep it up guys and please make sure to encourage others to get on board!

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Junior Jr Junior Jr wrote:

for the church goers, i urge all of you to go to your church's quarterly business meetings and request that your pastor puts the congregation's money into a Black bank

the Black church takes in around $17bn a year which is then put into white banks which they reinvest inthemselves. that new gentrification project happening around the corner from you? your tithes and offering are funding it.

that money could be used to get Black banks on a level in which they could lend to other Blacks. this promotes employment, empowerment, innovation and a lower crime rate.

and if there are any First Lady's reading this, you are now cognizant of how the misuse of our money is hurting us. this is now your responsililty. you have the greatest influence on your husband (usually) so you need to speak up. let's not let the white man get paid off of alla that anymore. speak up and demand.

jr.

Great idea Jr

Posted By: Ds2nice
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 11:36am

I didn't do much but I did check up on people I know (even the ones that i'm no longer cool with) to see how they are making out during the heat wave and contacted a few male friends to make sure they made it home safe.

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 12:40pm
Clap

-that's great, coco! sharing your passion in front of your peers can be therapeutic and open some eyes. hope you rock your speech and get an A!

-addicted, and bg, loving your dedication to support black businesses. please keep it up, ladies!

-gg, i love the idea of offering a ride to a mother with children walking in the heat! be safe though!

-tokyo and ladybird, you have so much influence as teachers! so glad you're using that power to help the cause!

-tc, can't stress enough how important it is to be a positive, visible example in the community. i love that about you, girl! more of us need to follow your lead.

-freaking awesome idea, jr. i never would have thought of something so genius. church ladies, take heed!

-ds2, charity starts w/ people we are closest too. i commend you for looking out for your peeps and REALLY commend you for helping people you're not even cool with. Big ups, girl!

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 2:21pm
I'm shocked that black churches don't use black banks. The ones in my family do for sure. As a kid, my dad's banker was black. It wasn't a black bank back then but it was run by a black man. That was important to my dad and I learned.

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

well...i try to do stuff everyday.  i live in an area many in my circle wouldn't.  i think it is extrememly important for young black children to have the ability see and interact with productive role influences in their everyday real lives.

anyway, just the other day, a young lady rang my door bell.  she couldn't have been any older than 13.  she was asking for $100 for her anxiety "medication".  no prescription.  claimed the pharmacy told her she had to get the medication herself and that her parent couldn't get it for her anymore.  when i asked for her address and told her i would need to go speak to her parents she gave me the address but said her parents were out of town *shaq giff*.  clearly, she was lying her azz off.  and, of course i gave her a real talk lecture she will either heed or ignore.  either way, i am sure she will remember the experience...

Heart

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 2:26pm
I'm gonna sign up with big brother big sister

Has anyone had any experience with them

I'm gonna quit if I don't get a brown sister

Posted By: babycakebabe
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 2:33pm
There is an organization that offers free legal services here for low income people and I have been spreading the word. There are a lot of people that are in a bind b/c they do not know their rights and they end up in court with a court appointed lawyer and no prep, no protection and they end up in jail or with with charges that they arent really supposed to have.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

i set up a mtg nxt week to expand our mentoring program. hopefully, it will work out like i want it, where an adult would mentor a HSer, who would mentor a MSer, who would mentor an elem. student. so it would be like a family.

awesome idea

Its really is.

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 2:51pm
We have a black owned bank here in Philadelphia.  I was thinking about opening a savings account there. 

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 2:53pm

I joined once when I was in college; them negros paired me with a little white girl; I straight up told them I was uncomfortable and that they could do better than that with all the little black children running around. They looked at me like I had three heads so I never went back. Sucks ass cuz I went though all the training.

I'm considering it now that I am back in south Florida.

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 3:02pm
hub and I volunteer as a Big Couple together for one child. I used to be a Big Sister though and was only ever paired with black girls. But that's probably because of the area.

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 3:03pm

mostly working class children sign up for it.

if your area has a lot of white working class families, chances are that's what you'll get.

try it anyway, b/c they are always short on volunteers. get together a group of friends to do it.

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 3:07pm
I feel like I don't know what to do most of the time but I will say that I try my best to start discussions here about the really serious issues that impact our lives in America.  I feel that one of our biggest issues is awareness.  I really hope that Trayvon Martin's murder and the sham trial have finally ripped the veil off of the belief that "its not that bad".  

Anyway I feel these are our target areas:

1.  Racially motivated murders
2.  Mass Incarceration
3.  Jim Crow and what it looks like today
4.  Poverty (the black ghetto vs. others)

Its hard to do here because the threads get long and you always have dummies who only want to talk about BOB crime but we should have a section for just this type of information.  I don't know how we keep everyone engaged but we should keep a running count of these incidents.  Jewels has an awesome thread and sadly we have many more people to add since she started it.   I know its depressing but we have a lot of work to do.

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 3:11pm
Oh and welfare queens.  I can't understand how we can be so distracted by this topic when all of these serious things are happening.   We have to smash our own biases first.  Like Melissa Harris-Perry said everyone who is "racist" is always "racist" against the same group, us.  Even some of us are bigots about a subset of our race (young men, poor people, un-wed black mothers, etc)    

ETA:  Don't tell me black people can't be racist.  I know that!  Y'all know what I'm trying to sayLOL

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 3:16pm
Junior Jr mentioned something interesting in the other thread about the 13 year old being shot. He said this needs to be brought before the U.N. I think it's an excellent idea. I can't do anything in terms of actually petitioning since I'm not in the U.S. but I can certainly research it. What do you guys think?

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 3:27pm

Today, I visited a black owned beauty supply store in the mall. I purchased some things I really did not need but I wanted to support a black owned business.

I also tried to keep myself in check today and not go bad on random white people.

Thank you GKisses and Noneyons for the advice about mentoring!
I think I am going to go for it. I will start with the lil bitty ones.
I swear if they give me a white kid Ill tell them that I am not here for the cracka kids and leave. Not trying to be mean but they are not here for me either.

I did just stumble across a couple of groups made for young African American and minority girls so I will research them.

The site I found the list from is called Afro Puffs and Ponytails and it has several groups listed for several states.

http://afropuffsandponytails.com/programs-for-african-american-teen-girls-and-young-girls/" rel="nofollow - http://afropuffsandponytails.com/programs-for-african-american-teen-girls-and-young-girls/

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Miss SDY Miss SDY wrote:

Today, I visited a black owned beauty supply store in the mall. I purchased some things I really did not need but I wanted to support a black owned business.

I also tried to keep myself in check today and not go bad on random white people.

Thank you GKisses and Noneyons for the advice about mentoring!
I think I am going to go for it. I will start with the lil bitty ones.
I swear if they give me a white kid Ill tell them that I am not here for the cracka kids and leave. Not trying to be mean but they are not here for me either.

I did just stumble across a couple of groups made for young African American and minority girls so I will research them.

The site I found the list from is called Afro Puffs and Ponytails and it has several groups listed for several states.

http://afropuffsandponytails.com/programs-for-african-american-teen-girls-and-young-girls/" rel="nofollow - http://afropuffsandponytails.com/programs-for-african-american-teen-girls-and-young-girls/

SDY if you're concerned about getting a white kid, you can go to your church (or a local black one) and see if they can set you up with mentoring a child.

it doesn't necessarily have to be thru an organization, and you may have more freedom to do things, such as buying presents or helping them out financially (like paying for an AP exam) (i think in BB/BS you aren't allowed to buy presents, but i'm not 100% sure on that)

that is also another great idea, paying for AP tests for students. many who take the class don't take the test b/c of the fee. sometimes the school can issue a waiver for students on free/reduced lunch, but there are a lot of students who don't get free/reduced lunch but can't afford the fee.

Posted By: Longhairwanted8
Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 4:13pm
There has to be a way to have a countrywide boycott day where everyone buys from black owned businesses all day. No gas, food, etc. That's the only thing white people notice. Our buying power is insane. Any ideas??

Date Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 4:19pm
OMG, you ladies kick ass! 

longhairwanted, that is a freaking EXCELLENT idea! let's bounce ideas off one another about how to get that ball rolling! 

and then we can hopefully solicit the social media butterflies around here to create a template for us to spread the word via facebook, twitter and other media outlets. 

let's do this!

Print Page | Close Window