Print Page | Close Window

No Spanish, No Job

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=362090
Printed Date: Dec 15 2018 at 3:55pm

Topic: No Spanish, No Job
Posted By: bindy
Subject: No Spanish, No Job
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 5:03am
Most Americans consider the U.S. an English-speaking country, so can a South Florida company refuse to hire you if you don't speak Spanish? Do yo know the answer? One woman is trying to find a job and needed to know the answer, so let's bring in Help Me Howard with Patrick Fraser.

WSVN -- Kris McCarthy cares for her three dogs that were once abandoned.

Kris McCarthy, Has to Speak Spanish: "They got me through some really hard times. They are unconditional, and they always love me."

And more importantly, Kris loves to care for her patients.

Kris McCarthy: "I am a hospice nurse. I take care of terminally-ill patients."

Kris has been a nurse for 20 years, and to her, it's more than a job.

Kris McCarthy: "I want to work in an area that I am qualified to work in, that I have a passion to do, that I love doing."

But after deciding to leave a hospice company she worked for, Kris is having trouble finding a new job.

Kris McCarthy: "And when I started looking in Miami-Dade, I found that it seems they are more interested in my language skills than my nursing skills."

Born in America, living in South Dade, Kris is able to speak and understand her native language, English, very well. It's the second language that is blocking her from getting a job.

Kris McCarthy: "One of the first questions they ask is, 'Are you fluent in Spanish?' And I tell them, 'No.'"

The companies make it clear: If you don't speak Spanish, you can't work for us.

Kris McCarthy: "And the day before the interview, she called and said, 'By the way, we are going to have somebody here, and part of the interview will be in Spanish.'"

In her previous job, Kris had patients who did not speak English, and they were able to communicate.

And she says, there are a lot of hospice patients who don't require a Spanish-speaking nurse.

Kris McCarthy: "There are also families that need somebody English that speaks their language and speaks their culture."

Some Americans would be bitter that they have to know a foreign language to work in their own country, but not Kris.

Kris McCarthy: "It's frustrating. I can't say it makes me angry, but it makes me sad."

Sad, because this deeply-religious woman can't do what she says God has called her to do: care for terminally-ill patients.

Kris McCarthy: "That's all I am asking is to just to be able to do the job I have prepared all my life to do. I was created to do this job."

Patrick Fraser: "So you can care in any language?"

Kris McCarthy: "Yes, I can care in any language."

Well Howard, a simple question: Can a company in the United States of America point blank refuse to hire you because you don't speak Spanish?

Howard Finkelstein, 7 News Legal Expert: "Believe it or not, it is legal to force an American to speak a foreign language as a job requirement, so long as the requirement is legitimate. And in this case, the courts would find it legitimate, since many of their customers in South Florida only speak Spanish."

When Kris has gone online and looked for jobs, hospice companies in other parts of Florida have seen her resume and wanted to hire her.

But she doesn't want to have to move to Tampa or Orlando and doesn't know how to find patients in South Florida who need an English-speaking nurse.

Kris McCarthy: "I need to be contacted. I don't know how to get into the community and say, 'Hey, I am here if you need somebody.'"

Help Me Howard: No Spanish, No Job

Kris hopes to find a job. She told us, she is certain God will help her get through this, just as he has helped her get through the loss of each of her hospice patients.

Kris McCarthy: "Cry. I allow myself the luxury of crying and grieving and remembering a lot of times they are in a better place."

Patrick Fraser: "Kris lives in South Dade but could work in Broward if she can find a place that doesn't require you to speak Spanish. Otherwise, she and her husband may have to move to a place where Spanish is not required. If you know someone who needs a hospice nurse with a big heart, she is available."

Unable to understand your dilemma? The solution seem a little foreign to you? Contact us. We'll translate the legal options for you in a language everyone can understand.

Read more:  http://www.wsvn.com/features/articles/helpmehoward/MI93243/#ixzz2YjIxtz9T" rel="nofollow - http://www.wsvn.com/features/articles/helpmehoward/MI93243/#ixzz2YjIxtz9T

Replies:
Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 5:23am
Sucks but she has to move on. There is not an official language in the US.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 5:43am
she need to learn some spanish. it sucks but it is what it is. these days to only speak one language is a big hindrance..

Posted By: keelolo1
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 7:01am
i hear this from folks in Miami. Most of them are moving. 

Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 7:17am
My first year of college I had a chance to learn Arabic or Farsi, I passed on it. Huge mistake. In high school I picked Spanish and Latin, should have taken German. Young people, learn another language while you are still young. The older you are, the more difficult. You don't know where you will be in 10 years and what wonderful doors will open for you if you speak a second language.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 7:20am
but its Ammurrica!

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 7:20am
The thing is that there are other nurses with her experience that also speak another language. The company hiring wants to get more out of employees. I could be wrong...but is she yt? If so that is the real reason is so hot. What you don't want ME? I need to learn another language??? IN healthcare...persish the thought.  

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 7:21am
Arabic or Farsi would be cool. I took spanish...but also took a course in German as I liked it better than French...

Posted By: iGotSunshine
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 8:41am
Sucks. But that's exactly why I took 4 years of Spanish.
I know a little bit of French but not enough to get me a job

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 8:43am
south florida with all those cubans

Posted By: sweetskul
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 10:22am
its true and most of the managers at most retails jobs ive worked they were spanish and the spanish ppl do whatever they want because the managers see them as special because they can translate for tourist 

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 1:36pm
Doesn't shock me. Besides being bilingual is a valuable skill, especially if you can speak Spanish.

For that reason, I will be learning Spanish after I master French.

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 2:00pm
well, living in S.Florida, she should be understand as to WHY that can be a requirement for some firms.

*shrugs* she may need to move where the jobs are.

Posted By: chatnoir
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 2:18pm
We see this a lot in CA also, bilingual reqs for Spanish, and Mandarin, Cantonese too.

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

she need to learn some spanish. it sucks but it is what it is. these days to only speak one language is a big hindrance..

if this don't say it all!Wink

sink or swim

Posted By: nicks_hotmama06
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 4:47pm
Lol. My high school Spanish teacher told me that when you go to other countries you better know the lingo because if not, you will have problems. Apparently America is not one of those countries.

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 5:44pm
People has to stop complaining because that won't change anything. The Hispanic community is growing. Regardless of what happens with the immigration reform that is currently in debate, illegal immigrants will keep coming to the US. USA can build the biggest walls in the world, those people will dig up a tunnel underneath it and end up in the middle of San Diego or somewhere in Texas.

Anyone living in the US NEEDS to learn Spanish; those Hispanics will take over, and it is estimated that they will be the majority of the population by 2030 if I recall correctly. Some Hispanics are unforgiven when you don't speak their language; I am not American but I am dark skinned and I have gotten plenty of dirty looks from them for not replying in Spanish. I actually can speak Spanish but I like to pretend I don't to see their reaction and 9 out of 10 times they give me a sour look.

If you want to have a job 10 years from now, sign up to Spanish classes, start hanging out with cool Spanish speakers and work on those skills. Think like that: why would anyone hire a person whom has skills and speaks one language when they can hire someone whom has the SAME skills and speaks TWO languages?

Posted By: fairyQueen092
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 5:50pm
I've taken spanish for 5 years, including spanish for healthcare professionals. I still can't hold a convo in spanish. At least I speak kreyol...

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 6:02pm
She should have kept her old job.

Posted By: chatnoir
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

People has to stop complaining because that won't change anything. The Hispanic community is growing. Regardless of what happens with the immigration reform that is currently in debate, illegal immigrants will keep coming to the US. USA can build the biggest walls in the world, those people will dig up a tunnel underneath it and end up in the middle of San Diego or somewhere in Texas.

Anyone living in the US NEEDS to learn Spanish; those Hispanics will take over, and it is estimated that they will be the majority of the population by 2030 if I recall correctly. Some Hispanics are unforgiven when you don't speak their language; I am not American but I am dark skinned and I have gotten plenty of dirty looks from them for not replying in Spanish. I actually can speak Spanish but I like to pretend I don't to see their reaction and 9 out of 10 times they give me a sour look.

If you want to have a job 10 years from now, sign up to Spanish classes, start hanging out with cool Spanish speakers and work on those skills. Think like that: why would anyone hire a person whom has skills and speaks one language when they can hire someone whom has the SAME skills and speaks TWO languages?

Great advice.  

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 8:08pm
I see the point .
I also don't mind when foreigners who don't speak English are excluded.

Spanish is becoming very necessary

Posted By: Allure.
Date Posted: Jul 11 2013 at 8:10pm
If the position requires a bi-lingual person, and she isn't bi-lingual, they don't have to hire her just because this is America.

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 12:04am
the new immigration law will require hispanics to speak english

"america" has a definite plan to convert hispanics to whites

wonders if they will fall for it

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 12:14am
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

Please let this law pass....

Posted By: juniper angel
Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 7:09am
Man why do i have to learn Spanish why can't they learn English why force me to do something because they can't learn English. Every other nationality that immigrate to America knows some form of English so why are immigrants that speak Spanish exempt. When i was a kid and came to America i had to learn English now i am fluent in English and kreyol so i find it unfair and makes no sense. Also if i were to move to another part of the world i would have to learn their language .

Posted By: Jess
Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 8:09am
Taking Spanish when it is offered.

Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 10:44am
Originally posted by juniper angel juniper angel wrote:

Man why do i have to learn Spanish why can't they learn English why force me to do something because they can't learn English. Every other nationality that immigrate to America knows some form of English so why are immigrants that speak Spanish exempt. When i was a kid and came to America i had to learn English now i am fluent in English and kreyol so i find it unfair and makes no sense. Also if i were to move to another part of the world i would have to learn their language .

Because their numbers are bigger than your numbers

and their dollars are bigger than your dollars

*if not bigger, SIGNIFICANT

it's dollar and cents, nothing to do with respect for spanish or preferential treatment

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 11:16am

I agree with that portion of the new immigration laws. 

I speak enough spanish to get by on my job however I learned from the streets so my spanish isn't elegant.
Please believe me when I tell you this; those spanish speaking people will and do talk about you to you're face and smile as they do it. SO getting a basic understanding might open a new social environment to you, one that your lack of knowledge has closed to those who don't understand it.

Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 11:33am
Why wouldn't people risk all to enter this country by any means?? Our citizens are forced to speak their native tongue or denied jobs, we pay them to have babies, give free food and even subsidize their housing and more. 
The best part of this is, we as tax paying citizens pay for all this while being denied jobs for NOT speaking their language. Illegals are fighting to keep these benefits because they feel it's their right??

Sounds like a bad joke but if youre on the receiving end,
Sounds pretty damn good.

Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 11:41am
they are a huge number of the workforce and spend A LOT

don't fall for the hype that they aren't

because you'll get got ... internally they are pushing to have leadership roles in all areas and they are training themselves in all sectors

their biggest cultural connection among all hispanics is language, food and family ... they know this and I doubt they will give them up, so the immigration law won't neutralize them as much as assumed

you'll have to learn spanish

Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 11:49am
blacks need to take advantage and use hispanic numbers to push our equality agenda

and need to get our own initiatives started to put us in leadership positions and qualified in key employment sectors

Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 12:15pm

they are a huge number of the workforce and spend A LOT

don't fall for the hype that they aren't

because you'll get got ... internally they are pushing to have leadership roles in all areas and they are training themselves in all sectors

their biggest cultural connection among all hispanics is language, food and family ... they know this and I doubt they will give them up, so the immigration law won't neutralize them as much as assumed

you'll have to learn spanish

I agree, I want more of them to be self sufficient. So many undocumented workers are not tax payers and my tax burden is so high I could have used the funds to purchase a small car last year.

Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 12:20pm
Many actually do pay taxes

Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 12:24pm
Undocumented workers aren't paying fed or state taxes. There are no papers for them, no social security numbers. They are paying sales tax.

Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 12:26pm
You can file income taxes without one

ETA: http://www.itep.org/immigration/

Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 1:59pm
undocumented workers would love nothing more than to be documented

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 2:03pm
Everybody is a tax payer.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 3:57pm
i'm sorry.  but she doesn't seem like the sharpest tool int he shed anyway...Sleepy

Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

But after deciding to leave a hospice company she worked for, Kris is having trouble finding a new job.

In her previous job, Kris had patients who did not speak English, and they were able to communicate.

And she says, there are a lot of hospice patients who don't require a Spanish-speaking nurse.

When Kris has gone online and looked for jobs, hospice companies in other parts of Florida have seen her resume and wanted to hire her.

But she doesn't want to have to move to Tampa or Orlando and doesn't know how to find patients in South Florida who need an English-speaking nurse.

Kris McCarthy: "I need to be contacted. I don't know how to get into the community and say, 'Hey, I am here if you need somebody.'"

Date Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 10:33pm

Because their numbers are bigger than your numbers

and their dollars are bigger than your dollars

*if not bigger, SIGNIFICANT

it's dollar and cents, nothing to do with respect for spanish or preferential treatment

I understand why but i don't think it is fair and i hate being forced to learn Spanish i would like to learn Japanese but to be competitive in the job market Spanish is being shoved down my throat. Also it is preferential treatment why are we not told to learn the languages of other immigrants who's money is bigger them mine. Spanish speaking immigrants are not the only ones running things in America.

Posted By: melly
Date Posted: Jul 13 2013 at 7:16pm
That's the same thing where I live as well. The official language is French and the majority of jobs require candidates to be bilingual(English/ French) in order to get a good job.

Posted By: morenaloca
Date Posted: Jul 13 2013 at 7:28pm
I don't see the problem. Spanish is incredibly easy to learn. English is much harder. Suck it up and do what you need to get ahead.

Posted By: cutie
Date Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 3:49am
i am a nurse and it's so frustrating to not be able to communicate with spanish speaking patients!  i'm going to re-learn it using Rosetta Stone, just so that i'm not feeling left behind. But they should be the ones learning english.  Nobody was trying to cater to me when i visited a foreign country and couldn't speak the language.  and i was only there for one week.  if you plan to live somewhere, legally or illegally, you should at least speak the common language.  

Date Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 6:29am
Originally posted by morenaloca morenaloca wrote:

I don't see the problem. Spanish is incredibly easy to learn. English is much harder. Suck it up and do what you need to get ahead.

Spanish is easy for you not for me and as someone who had to learn English it may be hard but it was necessary for me so why not for them. Again i will say America is the only country where a large population must no learn a new language to appease a large set of immigrants many who are illegal. But i will learn Spanish because i want to be the best candidate i can be but i hate being forced to do something and i don't agree with being told well just because you have too. I also think making jobs just for ppl who are bilingual pushes black Americas out of jobs but okay.

Posted By: juniordetective
Date Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 8:13am

Spanish is easy for you not for me and as someone who had to learn English it may be hard but it was necessary for me so why not for them. Again i will say America is the only country where a large population must no learn a new language to appease a large set of immigrants many who are illegal. But i will learn Spanish because i want to be the best candidate i can be but i hate being forced to do something and i don't agree with being told well just because you have too. I also think making jobs just for ppl who are bilingual pushes black Americas out of jobs but okay.

I agree. Where I work we get some Spanish speaking customer and they get upset when I tell them that we don't have any Spanish speaking people in our store. It is a little bit irritating. Especially since I took German for 7.5 years and not Spanish, that language is no use where I live. I can't learn Spanish in a classroom setting, I have to do it on my own or learn from friends and I don't have time for that. I think they should learn English first, because although we don't have an official language, they know that most of the country speaks English. No hate, I love learning about other cultures and languages, but I shouldn't be denied a job because I don't speak a language that people who came here out of nowhere, speak. That's some sh*t. My district manager was doing calls for interviews and he's asking everyone if they can speak Spanish, when my store is located in a mostly White, Indian, and Black market. -____-

Posted By: melly
Date Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 12:17pm
That person is going have to learn Spanish or relocate to another city or state.

Date Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 12:31pm
Wasn't the south west of the United States part of Mexico at one time?

Date Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 12:33pm
English has become a necessity in many foreign countries ... why

because they need to be able to communicate with the people spending money

the case with spanish in america is no different

instead of fighting it and having to capitulate anyway, we should learn from it and use some of the same techniques to get our agendas met ... ie population numbers that can't be ignored, collective buying, etc

Date Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by melly melly wrote:

That person is going have to learn Spanish or relocate to another city or state.

or another industry, when dealing with the public/end customers you have to be able to speak to the people buying your services

but for example, there isn't a need to speak spanish in IT

hindi might be helpful but it certainly is not required

Posted By: morenaloca
Date Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 4:52pm

I had to learn English, it's not my first language.America is not the only country. Switzerland has four official languages and they teach their kids all four of them in school, unlike this country which enables people to complain and be stupid.  It's not like Hispanics popped up the last few years, smh. I'm sorry I just have little sympathy for people who complain about things. Elementary, middle and high schools have language classes as well as community colleges. There's also a friekin library in every city(which is free). If you wait until you're an adult to learn a foreign language you kind of deserve to be pushed out.

Print Page | Close Window