Print Page | Close Window

Ever stayed at an overnight summer camp?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=361916
Printed Date: Oct 21 2018 at 12:45am

Topic: Ever stayed at an overnight summer camp?
Posted By: Random Thoughts
Subject: Ever stayed at an overnight summer camp?
Date Posted: Jul 04 2013 at 11:40pm
Going through a photo album with old photos of me at a stay away camp when I was in middle school. Good memories. Just curious if any of you have been away to a camp.

I also found an old memory book/address book from the camp with phone numbers, email addresses, and full names of the people from the camp. lol @ my email address being an "@ juno" email address. Does that ISP even exist? Most of the email addresses are aol.

I looked up a few of my counselors/camp mates on facebook...so funny seeing them now, including the girl I had my first slow dance with.

Any stories to share?

Replies:
Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jul 04 2013 at 11:51pm
yeah i went to camp twice. i remember climbing mountains and being on the edge of a cliff looking down at the top of a forest. not to mention the mountain was crumbling in my hand. i hate when my feet are off the ground anyways... and the fact that this girl felt the same way and was screaming about it just made it worst.

i havent been on a mountain since. LOL sucks that i live around so many.
Geek

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Jul 04 2013 at 11:54pm
Nope but I use to love Bug Juice. I forgot all about that show.

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 12:32am
Twice at Girl Scout camp. The first time was for a week and the second time was two. It was nice and I have group photos from both times. I wish I had kept in contact with my bunk mate. She was nice but I was super shy.

Posted By: Organic
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 12:46am
Yes, as a Girl Scout. 

It was horrible.

Our troop leader (Ms. Shirley Brown) was a jittery older woman. She was crazy, a bit neurotic, and half blind. About 3am, we heard screaming and tussling. I, for sure, thought that Big Foot or an alligator had taken a hold of he. Someone ran and turned on the cabin light, and there was Mrs. Brown screaming like a mad woman and beating the floor with her pillow.

We figured she was trying to kill a spider, but this crazy woman says, "I can't find my glasses!".

It was fun and weird. 

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 1:16am
Yes, 4 times. 

Posted By: Prtybrwneye_z
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 1:23am
Yes, good times! My niece went to the same camp I did at her age and we were sharing stories.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 1:24am
no.

Posted By: Dapheny
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 1:29am
Bug Juice>>>>

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 1:31am
Not really summer camp

But we went away to a safari for a week in what y'all would call 7th grade

Posted By: SweetNovember*
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 1:34am
Why did I read the OP as "overweight summercamp"? lol

Anyway yeah when I was a Girl Scout. I don't remember exactly how long it lasted though but it wasn't more than a week at a time.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 1:48am
no but I wanted to.  2 out of 3 of my cousins went away for 1 week.  I was so envious but my week with my lil 3rd cousin turned out to be the best childhood summer week on record.   It was me, my cousin and a Barbie marathon for 168 hours straight..even sleeping.  *chuckles and shakes head in remembered antics* Good times.

I do remember a couple of songs that my cousin's returned singing....

*clears throat shrilly....sings*

Magdalena Hagdalena Ookataka Wakataka Oka Mocha Poka was her name

She had 7 hairs on the top of her head...4 were alive and the other 3 were dead

She had 2 teeth in the middle of her mouth, one pointed north and the other pointed south

She had two eyes at the top of her head, one was green and the other one was red

She had two knees in the middle of her belly, one was peanut butter and the other one was jelly

Then one day a truck hit Magdalena!!...Poor little fella had to buy a new machine-a

There was also another song called "Going on a Squeegie Hunt".   I'm not gone "sing" that one tho.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 2:08am

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 2:44am
yes, never did like roughing it

liked day camp and classes much better

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 2:47am
I always wanted to! I wouldn't even watch the kids shows about it because I was so jealous. I would dream about going to summer camp. I went to regular cheer leading camp from 12-4, but never stay away camp. I loved "the Parent Trap" (old and Lindsey version) just because they met at summer camp. Man U brought back some memories.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 3:04am
Mama CC didn't trust a bunch of strange adults/older kids constantly around me without her supervision so no overnight camp for me. I did day camps but that wasn't the same.Ouch

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 9:53am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Mama CC didn't trust a bunch of strange adults/older kids constantly
around me without her supervision so no overnight camp for me. I did day
camps but that wasn't the same.Ouch

Yeah, my mama didn't play that.

She didn't even too tough care for sleepovers, so overnight camp was definitely outta the question. We just did day camps at the African-American Heritage Center.

Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 10:02am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

no

but I wonder if I want my kids to go to one

What do you wonder specifically?

Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 10:07am

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 10:12am

Mama 00s ideal of overnight summer camp was three months in MS with granny........

Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 10:25am

Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

no

but I wonder if I want my kids to go to one

What do you wonder specifically?

leaving them with people I don't know

like in a lot of families, in my family kids tend to stay with relatives for a week or two or maybe even the whole summer

I feel more comfortable with that than a sleep away camp

Interesting. Won't state why in this thread but I think I prolly feel a bit different about long relative stay overs.

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 10:26am
yep, when i was in Girl Scouts, and church camp as a counselor as a teenager, and then in college.

i enjoyed the college experience the most. that's when i really started to love hiking. i miss the mountains Cry

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 10:31am
yeah i did and had a really good time.  still wanna kick my self for crying when i got on the bus. 

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 10:32am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Mama 00s ideal of overnight summer camp was three months in MS with granny........

yeah you can add mama tc to that group as well...lol

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 2:05pm
just about every summer growing up, most were at universities so we were in the dorms not in the wilderness. 

one time I did go a camp in the real-deal wilderness....yeaahhh, no, i'm not about that life. lol....

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 2:44pm
Nope mama Suga wasn't having it. Day camp was fun but people would always talk about away camp like it was the greatest experience in the world. I used to be so jealous.

African parents don't play that away camp stuff or believe in sleepovers!!!!

Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Nope mama Suga wasn't having it. Day camp was fun but people would always talk about away camp like it was the greatest experience in the world. I used to be so jealous.

It was.

Can honestly say, the most fun I ever had in my childhood.

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 2:48pm
sleep overs of any kind with anyone was a definite do.not.even.bother.asking

but somehow camp and retreats were the exception ... guess they trusted the nuns/institution running it?

Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

sleep overs of any kind with anyone was a definite do.not.even.bother.asking

but somehow camp and retreats were the exception ... guess they trusted the nuns/institution running it?

It's my personal opinion that more stuff potentially happens with sleep overs/family homes than at things supervised by counselors and such. Stuff can happen either way , def don't wanna diminish the fact that there is risk both ways, but I think the higher likelihood is sleepovers and relative care having bad things happen.

My opinion could be wrong.

Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

It was.

Can honestly say, the most fun I ever had in my childhood.
minus that cliff thing...yeah it was awesome.

Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 2:57pm
i remember the second time i went.. the group leaders there decided to play a prank on everyone. waited until we were in the bed and started going around tapping windows and knocking on doors. so many ppl got scared and started crying..(it was great). i just wanted to sleep....but this one girl was so scared started talkin about a painting crying blood... she ended up scaring herself and sleeping with me. LOL.

Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 3:33pm
I got a ton more photos at my moms house. I wanna get them, more specifically so I can see the camp social/dance photos I had. Awful camera and I didn't scan these but still wanna share.

The camp I went to was around ages 6-14. The older kids were in the "red unit" while the other age groups were split in yellow, green, and blue. This was my cabin.

I went 3 years to the same camp, these were my mates the 2nd year. Not quite as close as me and my mates were the other 2 years, but I had more luck with the girls in the other cabins that year so it was still a solid summer.

Last night of camp after we got our sobs and I miss yous out the way, our counselors let us beat the sh*t out of them with pillows.

We had this awesome set of games called "Crazy Olympics" where we dressed in warpaint (our cabins wore red, the other kids wore their colors)
 and competed in all of these random events.

Each of the red cabins got a day to go climb the rock wall and whatever this thing is and go hiking. When we came back to camp we got awards in front of the rest of the camp in the mess hall during dinner. Really went a long way towards teamwork as we helped each other and tried to grow closer as a cabin, away from the rest of camp.

I'll add more pics when I get them if this thread is still alive lol.

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 3:39pm
Yes...We used to do educational things in our home town and then travel on long weekends to Vermont, Massachusetts, etc and camp. We even went to Disney World one year.

It's a shame the state no longer has money to fund these kinds of programs. Kids from the hood to kids from the suburbs would be in groups of 8 together just exploring. Sad they don't do it anymore.

Posted By: foxyroy19
Date Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 6:43pm
2 weeks at camp Walhonding (sp).  Best time of my life.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 9:02pm
Girl Scout camp in the summer
And some other camps

I loved them stayed 2 to 6 weeks at a time

Print Page | Close Window