Print Page | Close Window

Colorism in New Orleans?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=361707
Printed Date: Oct 22 2018 at 10:42pm

Topic: Colorism in New Orleans?
Posted By: Merin
Subject: Colorism in New Orleans?
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:05am
I am hesitant to post this question( because we all know how the light skin dark skin conversations go) but I really don't know what other place I can ask this. My husband has a work friend originally from NOLA who invited us over for a Holiday Party. Upon arriving to the party I noticed everyone was from NOLA, no problem with that makes sense. Everyone was also light-skinned, well except one woman married to a white man. I was like Confused. I later pointed this our to my husband and of-course now he is noticing a pattern.  I don't know much about New Orleans, is this common? I have met some of their friends and SO's, same pattern.  I would like to say this isn't a dig at New Orleans so if there are any natives who are offended I apologize, I am just trying to get some answers that don't involve these people self segregating because that's how I currently feel about them therefore will not be attending anymore parties.

Replies:
Posted By: Jr1127
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:09am
There is colorism everywhere in U.S. not just in N.O LA.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:12am
maybe she only fvcks with Creoles and light brites

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:14am
Quote ....I am just trying to get some answers that don't involve these people self segregating....

Gurl.......

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:15am
Creoles like other Creoles.........and they like to keep the family light.....tha means don't bring nothing dark home.......hell they side eyeing brown skin........

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:16am
I am in no way suggesting colorism only happens in NOLA I was just wondering if there was something cultural I didn't know about before I totally judge these people

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:18am
Did they say anything to make you feel this way? or is it just cause there were no "darkies"?

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:19am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Creoles like other Creoles.........and they like to keep the family light.....tha means don't bring nothing dark home.......hell they side eyeing brown skin........

This is what I suspected.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:20am
Sleek nothing was said to me to make me feel that way, just an observation.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:23am
They won't say it to your face......unless they are old.......old Creoles give no .....they will talk about anyone to their face lol

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:32am
Idk I know a creole man married to a dark-skin sista......but I don't know many creoles just him and BLOL I only feel weird when I walk into a room full of whites and wonder were the black people at so I kinda understand, just nvr happened with lite and dark in a room maybe I just nvr paid attention.

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:34am

This

Posted By: Majesty02
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 10:07am
^^Exactly. New Orleans has a history filled with colorism and racial segregation. Especially amoungst the Creoles and the Blacks with darker skin. Unlike most of the U.S. their was a huge divided between the 2. The Creoles had their own communties and social clubs. If you were darker than a Brown Paper Bag, you wouldnt be allowed in that particular community.

And I believe some of this still exist today. Look at Lil Wayne, he's from The Nola and he's completely OBESSED with light skin ...aka red bones.

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 10:10am
Hell yeah that's normal for New Orleans

Posted By: Morris Chestnuts
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 10:17am
I saw this movie (tried to read the book but that ish was long as fucccc) called Feast of All Saints and it was about how the slavemasters used to run up in the mix girls in NO. It was called plaçage. They used to set them up in their own lil place with the kids. The mixed kids would have a lot more opportunities and go to Europe and ish, free people of color. So it seems like they might be trying keep it light holding on to that mentality.

Posted By: GoldieLocks
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 10:20am
I am from Baton Rouge ,LA. Speaking from a creole background sadly it is the normal.  A lot of us are taught early to blend with "our our kind" and the yts, which I never adhered to as a child or now. My Grandfather used to actually tell us "do not bring home any monkeys"... Really ignorant. Unfortunately it is just a sad part of the culture for the children to be raised with a superiority complex, which is why a lot of us are considered snobby and yt washed. It really is sad...

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 10:26am
[Piglet] Oh d-d-d-dear...... [/Piglet]

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 10:27am
I appreciate everyone answering. This makes me sad however I have no desire to be around people like that. I will be attending no more parties.

Posted By: Qualified
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 10:58am
My ex-husband, born and raised in a creole majority community in Louisiana, went through a lot of colorism. His sisters are very fair skin, bluish-green eyes so was his mother's. He never knew his father, and neither did his mother (she had community twat), but my ex husband came out very dark skin, and because of that was and still is treated like sh!t from the community and family members alike.

For example, the family would send for the girls to come stay with them during the summers, but not him, they would buy the girls school supplies, christmas/bday gifts, not him. He was told he was too dark all of his life. Kept him from playing with cousins etc. Called dirty, nasty and other derrogatory comments about his skin tone by his aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins. Treated like he was dumb and less than all because of his dark skin, by family that posessed the same dna, but denounced him for "too" much melanin.

Some of them do not claim him as family, and we're talking FIRST COUSINS. His mother has sense passed, but she was alive during our marriage... She just loved those girls; him, not so much. The funny thing is, the girls and most of the living family members are still down there swating mosquitoes on the bayou, with a host of illegitimate crumb snatchers romping around, in all of their illustrious light skin goodness.

A vacation for those backwood bitches is a trip to the general store. Serves them all right. They even have the nerve to ask him to send them a "parcel," as if their greasy asses need a care package. FOH My ex-husband/bestfriend, is extremely successful and living life to the fullest, traveling the world, and making great money while doing so. He went off to college and never looked back. Only time he goes home is when he attends the funeral of someone who he may have been close to. All in all his experiences have given him the kind of strength that I envy on a daily basis.

Posted By: dijah.love
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Qualified Qualified wrote:

The funny thing is, the girls and most of the living family members are still down there swating mosquitoes on the bayou, with a host of illegitimate crumb snatchers romping around, in all of their illustrious light skin goodness.

A vacation for those backwood bitches is a trip to the general store. Serves them all right. They even have the nerve to ask him to send them a "parcel," as if their greasy asses need a care package.

I don't mean to laugh. I really don't. But this part slayed me.

S/N: A great book to read on this topic is called Our Kind of People. Parts of it talk about the the old timers mentality. The Creole colorism is very much so real, and as sad as any other.

Posted By: iGotSunshine
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 11:10am
Originally posted by dijah.love dijah.love wrote:

The funny thing is, the girls and most of the living family members are still down there swating mosquitoes on the bayou, with a host of illegitimate crumb snatchers romping around, in all of their illustrious light skin goodness.

A vacation for those backwood bitches is a trip to the general store. Serves them all right. They even have the nerve to ask him to send them a "parcel," as if their greasy asses need a care package.

S/N: A great book to read on this topic is called Our Kind of People. Parts of it talk about the the old timers mentality. The Creole colorism is very much so real, and as sad as any other.
I laughed too LOL

sad to say
my aunts disowned my great grandpa, grandpa & mom for years because they all married darker than a paper bag.

They eventually got over it when I turned about 3 but for years my older brothers were treated like sh*t.
The craziest part about this is they would cuss you out if you called them white.
They claimed black but treated dark skin like sh*t

My grandma has a color complex that she passed along to my oldest aunt.

It's calmed down alot tho in my family at least.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 11:11am

My ex-husband, born and raised in a creole majority community in Louisiana, went through a lot of colorism. His sisters are very fair skin, bluish-green eyes so was his mother's. He never knew his father, and neither did his mother (she had community twat), but my ex husband came out very dark skin, and because of that was and still is treated like sh!t from the community and family members alike.

For example, the family would send for the girls to come stay with them during the summers, but not him, they would buy the girls school supplies, christmas/bday gifts, not him. He was told he was too dark all of his life. Kept him from playing with cousins etc. Called dirty, nasty and other derrogatory comments about his skin tone by his aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins. Treated like he was dumb and less than all because of his dark skin, by family that posessed the same dna, but denounced him for "too" much melanin.

Some of them do not claim him as family, and we're talking FIRST COUSINS. His mother has sense passed, but she was alive during our marriage... She just loved those girls; him, not so much. The funny thing is, the girls and most of the living family members are still down there swating mosquitoes on the bayou, with a host of illegitimate crumb snatchers romping around, in all of their illustrious light skin goodness.

A vacation for those backwood bitches is a trip to the general store. Serves them all right. They even have the nerve to ask him to send them a "parcel," as if their greasy asses need a care package. FOH My ex-husband/bestfriend, is extremely successful and living life to the fullest, traveling the world, and making great money while doing so. He went off to college and never looked back. Only time he goes home is when he attends the funeral of someone who he may have been close to. All in all his experiences have given him the kind of strength that I envy on a daily basis.

Clap to that brotha

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Fraiche2Death Fraiche2Death wrote:

DeadDeadDead She went in. Clap

Originally posted by dijah.love dijah.love wrote:

Yes I remember the dude who wrote that book because he was on all those talk shows.  Growing up I went to Martha's Vineyard and such but I don't remember everyone being light skinned, however it wasn't an issue I was aware of as a younger child. My mother is pretty brown and was treated poor be people because of her complexion but since I didn't have that experience I didn't become aware of this issue until I was older. The way my Mom treated and seeing how it impacts her to this day, or even how it made her treat me as a kid is maybe why I am just so against associating with these people.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 11:59am

They have SOME NERVE asking him for stuff!!

Posted By: babycakebabe
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Merin Merin wrote:

My husband has a work friend originally from NOLA who invited us over for a Holiday Party. Upon arriving to the party I noticed everyone was from NOLA, no problem with that makes sense. Everyone was also light-skinned, well except one woman married to a white man. I was like Confused. I later pointed this our to my husband and of-course now he is noticing a pattern.  I don't know much about New Orleans, is this common?

I guess that unless you ask your husband's work friend directly, you wont know if this is a coincedence in this case or intentional. This person could easily just be inviting the people that he/she knows well and it may not be more complex than that.

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 12:15pm
My parents neighbor is Creole, very nice man.

All his family members are could pass there was not speckle of brown in the household.

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 12:20pm

this is what i thought. 

between mulattoes, quadroons, octoroons and storyville it was at one point admired and encouraged. the tradition just continued. *shrug*

Posted By: MooDee
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 12:29pm
in actuality its not really a new orleans thing anymore, most creole communities really arent in NOLA anymore imho. but yes, most are colorstruck but not to the degree as per se 50 yrs ago.

my fam is creole from near opelousas, LA. it is much more subtle than before....no one gets disowned these days but it is almost expected of you to marry "light" or "brighter". theyre very concerned with color, to the point where they even construct hierarchy among those who are "light"....the closer to that racially ambiguous ideal, the more positivity seems to be generated around you. it's very sad actually, but atleast is diminishing. to me, they seemed more concerned abt having white features than anything....

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by MooDee MooDee wrote:

in actuality its not really a new orleans thing anymore, most creole communities really arent in NOLA anymore imho. but yes, most are colorstruck but not to the degree as per se 50 yrs ago.

my fam is creole from near opelousas, LA. it is much more subtle than before....no one gets disowned these days but it is almost expected of you to marry "light" or "brighter". theyre very concerned with color, to the point where they even construct hierarchy among those who are "light"....the closer to that racially ambiguous ideal, the more positivity seems to be generated around you. it's very sad actually, but atleast is diminishing. to me, they seemed more concerned abt having white features than anything....

i know a few people from there!

Posted By: Lonisha87
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 12:49pm
Come from a creole family. My mom had kids with a dark skinned man and so did a majority of the people in my family: we don't discriminate

Posted By: MooDee
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by iGotSunshine iGotSunshine wrote:

Originally posted by MooDee MooDee wrote:

i know a few people from there!

ah you might know my family...we're related to everyone

Posted By: sunshine321511
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 1:23pm

Your ex is a Strong, not many people would have made it through that.  I have met people that no matter how bad their family is to them...they can't cut the ties.

Posted By: lexis83
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 1:31pm
I'm waiting on SweetNovember to answer this

I read a book once where this lady couldn't meet her man's family because she was too dark. Very disturbing

Posted By: SweetNovember*
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 2:32pm
I think there's some exaggeration going in in this thread. Of course people are going to be like that everywhere, but have been approached by a fair amount of men who are very light with wavy hair and colorful eyes and I am about as far from Creole looking as you're gonna get. I personally think the dark men are worse with colorism tbh. LiL Wayne sure isn't Creole.

Posted By: keelolo1
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 3:12pm
I'm from new orleans. There are creoles there, a lot but as far as I know this was never an issue as far as skin color. They were all prob creoles that just knew each other or family.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 4:12pm
there are areas in NC like this.

Posted By: UrbanElegance
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Morris Chestnuts Morris Chestnuts wrote:

I saw this movie (tried to read the book but that ish was long as fucccc) called Feast of All Saints and it was about how the slavemasters used to run up in the mix girls in NO. It was called plaçage. They used to set them up in their own lil place with the kids. The mixed kids would have a lot more opportunities and go to Europe and ish, free people of color. So it seems like they might be trying keep it light holding on to that mentality.

This was a great movie

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 5:59pm
Going to check out that movie

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 6:10pm
yeah it's a good one Rumb.

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 6:53pm
I think it's very true. For the people from around there who don't think it's true.. maybe if you're dark, they just wont say it around you.. but it's definitely talked about within the families (no.. of course not all of them)

In my experience, a lot of people from southern Louisiana acknowledge this, and it's much worse than the whole ls/ds  stuff going on other places.

This  guy from lake Charles I know told me the truth about himself and his entire family.. and they consider dark skinned people as "n*gg-as" and laugh about it like it's nothing. They try to dissociate themselves from dark skinned people as if theyre a different race and have nothing in common

Of course it's not true of all creoles... but I do think it's very common in the families.

Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Lonisha87 Lonisha87 wrote:

Come from a creole family. My mom had kids with a dark skinned man and so did a majority of the people in my family: we don't discriminate

Thank you.
So much ignorance in this thread, I bet most people could count on two FINGERS the creole people they know, but generalize as a racist/color struck whole

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

I think it's very true. For the people from around there who don't think it's true.. maybe if you're dark, they just wont say it around you.. but it's definitely talked about within the families (no.. of course not all of them)

In my experience, a lot of people from southern Louisiana acknowledge this, and it's much worse than the whole ls/ds  stuff going on other places.

This  guy from lake Charles I know told me the truth about himself and his entire family.. and they consider dark skinned people as "n*gg-as" and laugh about it like it's nothing. They try to dissociate themselves from dark skinned people as if theyre a different race and have nothing in common

Of course it's not true of all creoles... but I do think it's very common in the families.

girl i know a guy who went to McNeese State & he told me the same sh*t. 

that sh*t is sad 

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 7:33pm
not sure why the thread steered straight to creole. op only said light skinned and new orleans

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 8:01pm
I will say that people do say some stuff that they should be shamed to let come out of their mouths. One girl I work with who is brown skinned, not even dark, and has a baby that looks just like her but she has posted on instagram about how she is gettting black or her baby won't be able to go out and swim for a while because she is getting black. She and I got into an argument and the first thing out of her mouth was about my skin color and hair texture. And this bish ain't even got no hair. Confused

I had a friend a few years ago who told me "You alright to be dark." I was like wtf. She kept going on and on trying to rationalize herself until her mother told her to shut up and that she sounded stupid. I told my mother and my mother said her mom was trying to play it off because she didn't want her daughter talking like that in front of me but that her daughter obviously got it from somewhere.

Posted By: PurplePanties
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

I cosign this. Its sad if its a known fact in your city that the men will go after the so called "light" ones no matter how she looks. My mom and grandmother have stories for days. It use to tear my mom and my aunt apart since they were shades different and people trated them as such. My dad even claimed that she (my mom) was tryna claim the rebone as her sister until he came around the family and saw how they ranged in color. They are trying to bond now in their late 40's since alot of that kept them apart. Cry Heck I got stories and Im only in my mid 20s.

Posted By: KhadiNiaomi
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

I think there's some exaggeration going in in this thread. Of course people are going to be like that everywhere, but have been approached by a fair amount of men who are very light with wavy hair and colorful eyes and I am about as far from Creole looking as you're gonna get. I personally think the dark men are worse with colorism tbh. LiL Wayne sure isn't Creole.
Thats very true all the rappers that rap about they want a girl lighter than them are all dark. You never hear Drake or or J. Cole talking about they want a girl their complexion, they dont care. I guess you could say Im creole but caribbean version lol. My family range in all colors and have different hair. My grandma is as black as flavor flav, with soft cotton hair and her father is red like a Native American, color is not an issue in my family. But I mean no matter where you go in ethnic communities colorism is alive, but just dont talk about it out aloud to offend ppl.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:19pm

I spoke about Creoles because i am and my family is from NO.......what I said is what I know.......my family isn't bad with the men but if my brotha brought a dark chick home it would not be good.......she would be treated like shyt.......unless she was established and drop dead gorgeous.........he could bring any yella thing home......

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:31pm
Light skins marrying light skins should be considered a sin

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

you talkin bout light skin folk who don't like any other shade but other light skins

nah let them stay amongst themselves with that coon messLOL

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:38pm
Is light skin marrying light skin worse than dark marrying white?

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:40pm
I knew a family like this when I was younger...not in new Orleans but uh
everybody of all generations in that family was light, they all only dated light, married light, had light kids and grand kids and lived happily ever after

lol

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:43pm
*gasp* This.... New Thread Now! Lamp

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:45pm
Doooooo it!

It's is Friday

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 9:55pm

nah same coonage

Date Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 11:56pm

idk if i think that's a bad thing tbh
i dont care
i feel like ppl tend to marry people that remind them of their parents somehow
meh whatever

how is it any different than all the women on BHM who profess their love for the chocolate or kanye who said "imma make sure lite skin brother never ever make a comeback?"[paraphrase]  light men are seen often as not manly it appears...idk...maybe it takes a lite brite to appreciate a lite bright

Date Posted: Jun 29 2013 at 12:06am
i was on LSA and someone said June Ambrose "married above herself" or "married up in color" bc she wanted ls kids with good hair...which she does have. but i def. raised my eyebrows at that phrase bc i don't consider it marrying up unless he makes more money than you...what's it look like with a light skinned dude you take care of? [which she kinda sorta does]

Date Posted: Jun 29 2013 at 2:49am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

LOL

Date Posted: Jun 29 2013 at 3:04am
No disrespect to light on light dating but everybody knows light and dark make the best relationships Beer

The love is beautiful

Date Posted: Jun 29 2013 at 12:39pm
i like when couples are about the same skin tone
light light
dark dark
brown brown

i just think pictures look better
/shrugs/

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jun 29 2013 at 1:20pm
I'm marrying an Asian then

Date Posted: Jun 29 2013 at 1:32pm
This isn't exactly fitting for this thread, but semi-related.. My friend just text me "This Mexican boy was like 'I really like you but I cant let you meet my family because they don't like black people'. I told him 'We can't talk then!!' he might be hiding his own racist ways to get the p****y"

I wonder how many BHMers this has happened to.

Date Posted: Jun 29 2013 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

u can find another lite brte ya coonErmm

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jun 29 2013 at 1:49pm
Ouch I thought I was only a coon if I dated a white person

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Jun 29 2013 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

Eastern NC?

Date Posted: Jun 29 2013 at 2:15pm
What are those people called in NC that are like tri-racial...Lumbee or something

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jun 29 2013 at 2:24pm

+me or someone non black who can appreciate my blackness. The irony.

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jun 29 2013 at 6:07pm

I don't know about that one.  I have come across Asian that would prefer someone who is light in their own culture but good luck to you on that.

Date Posted: Jun 29 2013 at 6:15pm
Coincidentally, there are two articles on colorism on Nola.com's front page right now.

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2013/06/light_or_dark_black_women_in_n.html#incart_2box" rel="nofollow - http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2013/06/light_or_dark_black_women_in_n.html#incart_2box

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2013/06/getting_past_colorism_in_new_o.html#incart_2box" rel="nofollow - http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2013/06/getting_past_colorism_in_new_o.html#incart_2box

Posted By: fakeizme
Date Posted: Jun 29 2013 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Merin Merin wrote:

I appreciate everyone answering. This makes me sad however I have no desire to be around people like that. I will be attending no more parties.
Not that you care, but I think it's kind of sad you are going to make this sweeping statement based on ONE party. Did you even talk to the host/hostess and get to know who they are? Aren't you judging everyone at that party based on their skin colour?

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jun 29 2013 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

I don't know about that one.  I have come across Asian that would prefer someone who is light in their own culture but good luck to you on that.

she should pick a Filipino.

Print Page | Close Window